FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Does healthy food cost more?

Does healthy food cost more?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Every time I watch tv and I hear when they say it costs to much I shake my head and say no no it really does not, they dont need the most expensive meat, but if then yes it would cost more but you could feed the family with under a fiver as jamie sais too, an healthy meal would be like tuna rice and mixed veg and for breakfast oats it is all about being being food wise.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yeah it does cost more. Especially when healthy food needs used almost straight away

It's not cheap to eat healthy!

of course grilled or baked fish is the best food for anyones diet and isn't cheap

It either costs more. Or you need more time to prep and cook fresh every day.

We eat healthy, and for a balanced meal for the three of us costs roughly 5-8 quid per meal depending. And we make sure we get decent quality meat a try to make sure we know where it sourced.

Also, I do hunt, so we have a lot of game in our diet, which you can't get much better quality. And saves a heck of a lot of pennies.

No I don’t think so. I always cook from scratch. Tinned tomatoes/Passata are next to nothing for a sauce. Slow cook cheaper meats etc. Plenty to google.

"No I don’t think so. I always cook from scratch. Tinned tomatoes/Passata are next to nothing for a sauce. Slow cook cheaper meats etc. Plenty to google. "

I've converted my Mrs n daughter to home made sauces using passata etc, tastes better, and cheaper, and less shite put in

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

No it doesnt if you know what your doing. For example i have a bowl of porridge everyday and its 75p for 1kg. Home made soups are dirt cheap

*her daughter not mine lol

Actually once you have the basics sorted (just buy one thing a week) it is fairly cheap and incredibly easy to be healthy ... it's the initial cost that is expensive such as homemade pesto, the pine nuts are £5/small bag so hugely expensive but that is enough for 3 lots, each lot does 3 meals for 2 people = 28p (roughly) per portion therefore not expensive! So put that with a portion of wholewheat pasta at 11p then a fresh healthy meal for 1 = 39p!!!! Easily add a little salad and for 60p per person a very healthy easy to prepare meal and so on and so on

"No it doesnt if you know what your doing. For example i have a bowl of porridge everyday and its 75p for 1kg. Home made soups are dirt cheap"

Exactly this ^^^

"No I don’t think so. I always cook from scratch. Tinned tomatoes/Passata are next to nothing for a sauce. Slow cook cheaper meats etc. Plenty to google.

I've converted my Mrs n daughter to home made sauces using passata etc, tastes better, and cheaper, and less shite put in "

It really does. Some fresh herbs etc! I always used to buy dolmios etc. Not only cheaper but so much nicer!

when i was married we had very little money i had to learn pretty damn quick how to cook on a limited budget and i did everything from scratch

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Chickpeas and kidney beans are healthy and cheap.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Every time I watch tv and I hear when they say it costs to much I shake my head and say no no it really does not, they dont need the most expensive meat, but if then yes it would cost more but you could feed the family with under a fiver as jamie sais too, an healthy meal would be like tuna rice and mixed veg and for breakfast oats it is all about being being food wise."

No it does not

I eat on a shoe string

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

I eat very healthy and on a tight budget. Its all about clever shopping

A potato and egg. Instead of doing egg and chips do jacket potato with egg mayonaise

"A potato and egg. Instead of doing egg and chips do jacket potato with egg mayonaise"

Spanish omelette too

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"

I eat on a shoe string"

Preferable to eating a shoe string

There must be 100s of cook books on how to eat healthly on a budget

Exactly as others have said it takes time and a bit of knowledge to cook cheap and healthy.

There are lots of books about how to eat healthy on a budget or recipes online.

Once you know the basics and have a basic larder it's easy.

People cant be arsed to take the time or effort or to learn - it's not because it's more expensive.

Also people ( myself included ) are addicted to the junk.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

egg on toast...from scratch, virtually no prep time, protein carbs & fat...or dial a pizza & wait....

Farm Foods frozen veg, cheap as...keeps of course, cook in no time maybe better nutritionally than fresh organic with storage. Depends on how healthy & how you view healthy.

Healthy as in our beloved 'influencers' who lets not forget are paid to tell you the secret of their figure/face/body is andalusian smashed avocado with coconut oil & special quinoa on hand crafted bread breathed on by Gwinny P..when beans on toast may well turn out better.

"No it doesnt if you know what your doing. For example i have a bowl of porridge everyday and its 75p for 1kg. Home made soups are dirt cheap"
That is right it is very cheap and same here. I also have oats in the morning

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It doesn’t need to cost more , porridge with half a banana and honey for breakfast , chicken or fish and steamed veg for dinner, Tin of mackerel on wholemeal toast for lunch - what’s that about £3.50 per day ? And that’s without cooking or growing.

You can freeze a lot of stuff when it in season and can also grow seasonal stuff. We used to take the kids picking all kinds of berries and freeze them so we have them all year round for smoothies. We just buy frozen fruit now it’s still much cheaper than fresh

Beige food is cheap but it’s crap. Cheap meat is also crap , a good start is try eating less , think about what you put in your mouth and body , treat it with respect, cut down on sugars, carbs and meat.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

I would further and say it is actually cheaper to eat healthy.

Glasgowish

"I would further and say it is actually cheaper to eat healthy.

"

Me too.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

No it doesn’t. Just takes a tiny bit more effort to start with and then it’s all good

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

We shop in Lidl and Tesco. We buy fresh fruit, veg and meat and fresh juice. I make my own sauces from fresh ingredients and don't add salt to anything.

We work full time, so weekends I prep the meat for the coming week: seasoning and freezing. I have containers of chopped onions, peppers etc to add as I cook. Nothing is ready made. Works out about £2.80 a plate.

You can eat healthily on a budget: I think people are just too lazy to prep and cook from scratch.

"There must be 100s of cook books on how to eat healthly on a budget"
That is right there are lots of cook books about it too

ashby de la zouch

"I would further and say it is actually cheaper to eat healthy.

Me too."

Me too

By *mokes n MirrorsCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth and Newcastle (sometimes)

"We shop in Lidl and Tesco. We buy fresh fruit, veg and meat and fresh juice. I make my own sauces from fresh ingredients and don't add salt to anything.

We work full time, so weekends I prep the meat for the coming week: seasoning and freezing. I have containers of chopped onions, peppers etc to add as I cook. Nothing is ready made. Works out about £2.80 a plate.

You can eat healthily on a budget: I think people are just too lazy to prep and cook from scratch. "

Your last sentence is probably the biggest reason if truth be told

No it doesn’t cost more it’s just one of the excuses used by those don’t want to make an effort or change the way they eat/cook

By *oungJayyMan  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I must sway to one side here :

I have changed my diet (r moreso tried to) after xmas as i gained a little weight. And also thought that unhealthy foods/takeaways cost less than healthy food, however i don't know to what extent this is true?

For example i love mcdonalds, but i also love a simple home cooked dinner and worked out the cost of both, but as an example the healthy dinner i had:

1 sweet potato whole

200g brocolli (frozen)

2 whole eggs

100gMixed veg (frozen)

All bought from aldi, and yes the amount cost more but realistically per meal were talking alot less

8 sweet potatoes (aldi - £1 rough)

12.5p per potato

1kg brocolli frozen (aldi - £1)

20p for portion

15 eggs (aldi - £1.20 rough)

17p for 2 eggs roughly

Mixed veg (aldi 89p rough)

13p per portion

Now this is probably alot/little to some people but surely 60p or less for a full, healthy meal is better than £4+ on mcdonalds, more nutrition and only takes roughly 30 mins to make and requires no effort?

Cheap packet food and tins - not as healthy but as cheap as £50p for a meal and lasts ages

Fruit and veg - Goes off within a week and would cost a few quid to make a meal

By *rjimMan  over a year ago

nr bristol

Even if you dont buy the cheapest items, you can find suitable quality if you are sensible.

Example:

Asda porridge oats 7.5p per 100 gms

Ready Brek 82.5p per 100 gms.

That's 11 TIMES more expensive.

Obviously there are certain things which are not the best tasting at low price but you need to be savvy.

Dolmio sauces are superb value with no rubbish in then.

We avoid ALL food with MSG and sweeteners.

MSG is allowed to have 30 other names to hide it from consumers.

By *entileschiWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

If you're a canny shopper and an experienced cook then cooking from scratch is always healthier and cheaper. Not everyone has those skills. Should be taught in schools if it isn't already.

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

Healthy food doesn't necessarily cost more. I can pick up a doner kebab from my local takeaway for just a fiver.

ashby de la zouch

"Cheap packet food and tins - not as healthy but as cheap as £50p for a meal and lasts ages

Fruit and veg - Goes off within a week and would cost a few quid to make a meal"

I meal prep for between 30 and 90 p a meal

I have a freezer

Your point is ?

By *erdyWoman  over a year ago

wiltshire

Not necessarily. Depends what you buy and where from. If you want to eat healthier there are choices for all budgets.

I think the term "healthy" is relative in that many have a deranged understanding of the word.

However I also think that those who say it is too expensive are usually just too lazy to cook properly or put any kind of effort in to their own nutrition and wellbeing.

Unfortunately we live in a society driven by greed, convenience and the need for instant gratification in everything we do.

It's cheap and easy.

I eat enough for nearly 2 normal people a day about 4200 calories.

All fresh cooked, loads of lean meat, veg, fruit etc.

I can do that for about £42 a week it costs me

It definitely does cost more, healthy fresh foods need using quicker as it spoils fast too. Once you get used to the change and how to maximise your buys you can save a little but for people on a really low income I wouldn't say healthy eating is affordable.

By *hedevilKTWoman  over a year ago

milton keynes

Never had long shelf life I find

ashby de la zouch

"It definitely does cost more, healthy fresh foods need using quicker as it spoils fast too. Once you get used to the change and how to maximise your buys you can save a little but for people on a really low income I wouldn't say healthy eating is affordable. "

Do these people not have freezers?

ashby de la zouch

"It's cheap and easy.

I eat enough for nearly 2 normal people a day about 4200 calories.

All fresh cooked, loads of lean meat, veg, fruit etc.

I can do that for about £42 a week it costs me"

I'll second this I'm about 2200 and I'm less than 40

I guess same as monkey 33 to 40 percent protein

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

No. Ffs

Interesting points everyone and yes, it does not cost alot to eat healthy

"It definitely does cost more, healthy fresh foods need using quicker as it spoils fast too. Once you get used to the change and how to maximise your buys you can save a little but for people on a really low income I wouldn't say healthy eating is affordable. "

Doesn't cost more but do need to shop more often and not in excess ...

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

My (hubby) food shopping for six days alone comes in at about £80-85. That’s six meals a day, all home cooked so no ready meals in there.

I don’t think it costs any more to eat healthy. You’re fuller for longer if you eat properly. If you’re smart and able to go shopping every few days you can buy the reduced fruit veg and meat from supermarkets saving even more cash.

When working away I used to just buy a whole cooked chicken for dinner, can get them for about 50p if you time it right

ashby de la zouch

"It definitely does cost more, healthy fresh foods need using quicker as it spoils fast too. Once you get used to the change and how to maximise your buys you can save a little but for people on a really low income I wouldn't say healthy eating is affordable.

Doesn't cost more but do need to shop more often and not in excess ..."

Why ?

Pulses whole grains and nuts seeds are some of the absolute power houses of nutrients

As are dried fruit frozen fruit frozen veg frozen herbs and passata ?

By *sianMancMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"Every time I watch tv and I hear when they say it costs to much I shake my head and say no no it really does not, they dont need the most expensive meat, but if then yes it would cost more but you could feed the family with under a fiver as jamie sais too, an healthy meal would be like tuna rice and mixed veg and for breakfast oats it is all about being being food wise."

Brands taste better dont they for example Quaker rolled oats are better than say sainsbury's own brands?

Glasgowish

I eat healthy and can quite easily only spend £20 a week.

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

"It definitely does cost more, healthy fresh foods need using quicker as it spoils fast too. Once you get used to the change and how to maximise your buys you can save a little but for people on a really low income I wouldn't say healthy eating is affordable.

Why ?

Pulses whole grains and nuts seeds are some of the absolute power houses of nutrients

"

Sounds odd but I always find frozen fruit tastes better than fresh.

By *sianMancMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Why ?

"

Yes but dont you need lots of them to equal the same as other sources.

You need for example alot more almonds or lentils to give you the same protein profile as meat ie chicken?

of course it does, seeds, fish, fresh vegetables but food and great food is about taste and cooking it to perfection, i love fish and seeds but cooked well and that doesn't come cheap unless you can do that yourself

ashby de la zouch

Why ?

Yes but dont you need lots of them to equal the same as other sources.

You need for example alot more almonds or lentils to give you the same protein profile as meat ie chicken?"

Not if you have protein powder

95%

5kg £60

Cheaper than any meat

And are you suggesting chicken thighs cannot be frozen ?

ashby de la zouch

"of course it does, seeds, fish, fresh vegetables but food and great food is about taste and cooking it to perfection, i love fish and seeds but cooked well and that doesn't come cheap unless you can do that yourself "

Erm every week for 25 years

Cooking well is no drama

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

I find healthy food does cost more and goes off before I can use it. I shop in Lidl and even there I find I hard to spend less than £40 a week.

I am to embarrassed to say how much I spend personally on my own food after reading this.

Totes

ashby de la zouch

"I find healthy food does cost more and goes off before I can use it. I shop in Lidl and even there I find I hard to spend less than £40 a week. "

Ouch its education and understanding you need then x

By *ildatheart6969Couple  over a year ago

Cheltenham

Mostly free if you grow it yourself

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I wish you would all live with me!!! I have such fussy eaters it’s untrue

J x

By *nnejohnCouple  over a year ago

warrington

in our house a chicken will be a roast for 4, followed by a nice meaty stew next day. cheap as chips

I’m on low carb high fat it’s expensive

No! You can eat healthily on a budget!

ashby de la zouch

"I’m on low carb high fat it’s expensive "

No it isnt

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

"I find healthy food does cost more and goes off before I can use it. I shop in Lidl and even there I find I hard to spend less than £40 a week.

Ouch its education and understanding you need then x"

And the ability to stand up without pain for long enough to cook properly.

I work for the NHS and am on a tight budget.

You can eat healthily and cheaply. The biggest money saver is to cook everything from scratch. I make big batches of food and freeze them in portions.

I make good use of lentils, grains and pulses along with fresh veg.

I tend to only have meat a few times a week, which also brings the cost down.

Trouble is many people simply don’t know how to cook or put flavours together so home cooked food can often taste bland and dull.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

"Every time I watch tv and I hear when they say it costs to much I shake my head and say no no it really does not, they dont need the most expensive meat, but if then yes it would cost more but you could feed the family with under a fiver as jamie sais too, an healthy meal would be like tuna rice and mixed veg and for breakfast oats it is all about being being food wise.

No it does not

I eat on a shoe string"

I use a plate

ashby de la zouch

"I find healthy food does cost more and goes off before I can use it. I shop in Lidl and even there I find I hard to spend less than £40 a week.

Ouch its education and understanding you need then x

And the ability to stand up without pain for long enough to cook properly.

"

I'm very sad to hear that my mother suffers with that too if modified her kitchen, she loves to cook but cannot stand so now she does not have to

My wife has to eat gluten..wheat and free foods and yes they are more expensive

ashby de la zouch

"Every time I watch tv and I hear when they say it costs to much I shake my head and say no no it really does not, they dont need the most expensive meat, but if then yes it would cost more but you could feed the family with under a fiver as jamie sais too, an healthy meal would be like tuna rice and mixed veg and for breakfast oats it is all about being being food wise.

No it does not

I eat on a shoe string

I use a plate "

I do but the gymnast in me insists I stand on a narrow rope and balance

I highly recommend slack lining xx

ashby de la zouch

"My wife has to eat gluten..wheat and free foods and yes they are more expensive"

Beans ?? Pulses ? Courgettes, potatoes, celeriac chicken thighs broccoli; carrots eggs , milk? Apples bananas pumpkin seeds , olive oil

Expensive ?

No they are not

And for the person above back to education which I only mean learning new knowledge

Buy frozen chopped veg and meat on line have a low level slow cooker

Very very cheap and very little moving or strength required

Almost all dishes can be made in an instant pot

Over night oats cheap no standing

Overnight slow cook full breakfast no cooking

Even the sourdough bread I now make needs no kneading

Knowledge is cheap power

"My wife has to eat gluten..wheat and free foods and yes they are more expensive

Beans ?? Pulses ? Courgettes, potatoes, celeriac chicken thighs broccoli; carrots eggs , milk? Apples bananas pumpkin seeds , olive oil

Expensive ?

No they are not

And for the person above back to education which I only mean learning new knowledge

Knowledge is cheap power

"

You have a starter for the sour dough bread? Appreciate a recipe if you fancy sharing..

"My wife has to eat gluten..wheat and free foods and yes they are more expensive

Expensive ?

No they are not

Knowledge is cheap power

"

Love the overnight full breakfast

ashby de la zouch

Expensive ?

No they are not

Knowledge is cheap power

You have a starter for the sour dough bread? Appreciate a recipe if you fancy sharing.. "

I do

The recipe is simple

Day one jar, 50g strong organic flour, 50g water preferably non chlorinated

Lightly cover

Day 2 add the same

Day 3 remove half add same

Day 4 same

Day 5 same

Repeat for 7 10 days

To make bread

5 to 3 flour to water

Thus

300 g water

500 flour

Thus

150 g starter equals 75 g flour 75 water

Then add 425 g of whatever flours you like

And near enough 225 g water

Expensive ?

No they are not

Knowledge is cheap power

You have a starter for the sour dough bread? Appreciate a recipe if you fancy sharing..

I do

The recipe is simple

Lightly cover

Day 2 add the same

Day 4 same

Day 5 same

Repeat for 7 10 days

To make bread

5 to 3 flour to water

Thus

300 g water

500 flour

Thus

"

All good my man, many thanks. I often make crusty rolls, as I loaf lasts half a day here lol, but think this recipe will be awesome. Thanks

ashby de la zouch

Expensive ?

No they are not

Knowledge is cheap power

I do

The recipe is simple

Lightly cover

Day 2 add the same

Day 4 same

Day 5 same

Repeat for 7 10 days

To make bread

5 to 3 flour to water

Thus

300 g water

500 flour

Thus

All good my man, many thanks. I often make crusty rolls, as I loaf lasts half a day here lol, but think this recipe will be awesome. Thanks"

Had mine for 2 years

Either feed daily if not in fridge or refrigerate and feed weekly

Feed means remove x g replace with x g water and flour

Hmmmm, i really want a sour dough roll and some home made soup now...

» Add a new message to this topic