FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Books v TV

Books v TV

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Whyyyyyy is the programme/film never done right.

I just spent last week reading a huge book, loved it, then watched the tv show and they just skip so much and changed the story.

If they cant do it justice it should just be left as a book

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hedevilKTWoman  over a year ago

milton keynes

This right here is one of my biggest pet peeves hate when this happens especially if you love the books.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Stephen King novels are particularly hard to translate to the screen. Or so it would seem from most of the TV and big screen adaptations of his works

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

TV shows and movies, no matter how well done, will never match your own imagination

By *nvisible_beardMan  over a year ago

near newbridge, wales

What ones have they ruined for you?

Books let your imagination run wild, tv/movies dont

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

If ive read the book i never watch it in the. cinema or television

"TV shows and movies, no matter how well done, will never match your own imagination "

Yea like wanking

Some of the best fucks I’ve ever had

"Whyyyyyy is the programme/film never done right.

I just spent last week reading a huge book, loved it, then watched the tv show and they just skip so much and changed the story.

If they cant do it justice it should just be left as a book "

What was the book?

"TV shows and movies, no matter how well done, will never match your own imagination "

I know and accept that, but some changes are just unneccessary

I.e;

Book : The back of the wardrobe was painted black, it was hiding something, the black paint overlapped the edges as if to seal a false wall.

Tv: There are some plain planks at the back of the wardrobe.

Just no need, could easily have stuck to the story.

I don't have a tv but we all read absolutely loads. Even my kids won't watch a film of a fave book because no budget is capable of what our imaginations are!

Nobody will have heard of the book I doubt, was a random my nan gave me called The Secret of Crickley Hall, but bbc one did a 3 part tv series on it and I havnt made it past the first episode

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"Nobody will have heard of the book I doubt, was a random my nan gave me called The Secret of Crickley Hall, but bbc one did a 3 part tv series on it and I havnt made it past the first episode"

Loved the book, hated the TV series. I used to read a lot of horror and James Herbert was one of my favourites.

The biggest exception for me is Ken Follett. His stories are great but his writing isn't. The Pillars of the Earth was a much better TV series than it was a novel.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Agree with you OP and can think of very few books or TV shows that do the book justice.

I think the trouble is a film or TV show only has so much time and so has to change things to fit them in to that timespan whereas a book has as long as it wants.

Then you have that it's not easy to convey emotions and thoughts in a physical medium like a film or TV show as it is in a book.

It's worse when they completely change the storyline though or dodge a simple thing like your cupboard scene for unknown reasons, or even when a main character from a book is completely left out.

This is why I dont read books!

"This is why I dont read books! "

I would rather not watch tv

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

The movie of A Room With a View was remarkably faithful to to book. The movie of LA Confidential stripped out a lot from the book but that greatly benefitted it. It would be almost impossible to film something of that complexity. By pairing it down they made a fantastic film.

I'd rather like to see some James Bond films made that really stick to the original stories. The movies only seem to have the occasional connection with the books. Radio 4 has done some dramatisation that stick very closely to the books which I enjoyed.

Totally agree. It's rare a film ever matches the book. I read the dark tower series by King after unwittingly watching the film. I didn't even know they were the same story

I read the hunger games before watching the films and thought they were done well.

By *ddictedToLoveMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I guess they try to add their own touch or don’t know how to flesh out stuff in the book.

What was the book anyway? The Witcher?

By *my-blackTV/TS  over a year ago

Poole

I always enjoyed Bladerunner and thought it was better than the original Philip K Dick short story.

I also rather enjoyed I Robot with Will Smith and felt it was a good interpretation.

(this is from someone who still has his massive collection of scifi books).

on the whole I do agree that the movies rarely live up to the books but there are one or two, Bladerunner being the obvious one for me.

By *ittlemiss1985Woman  over a year ago

Lansing

"Stephen King novels are particularly hard to translate to the screen. Or so it would seem from most of the TV and big screen adaptations of his works "

Totally, the only movie adaptations I liked were The Mist, The Green Mile, and Shawshank Redemption. I ended up giving up on Under The Dome when they made it into a series.

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

On the other hand there's the rare occasion where the film makes the book better and the book makes the film better. More than the sum of the parts.

American psycho.

Shipping news

» Add a new message to this topic