FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Level 42

Level 42

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ensuallover1000 OP   Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

One of my absolute personal favourite bands from the eighties, boasting an amazing catalogue of hits.

Mark King - a true bass God! He could (and still can!) play every trick in the book and then some.

Anyway, your favourite Level 42 songs my good people if you please.

Who’s seen them live?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Somewhere In The Ether…

No Level 42 fans?!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm sat on a train so decided to give them a go, I enjoy music from the 80s so will let you know

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Saw them live around the time of the Running In The Family album and very good they were too - wouldn't say I was a huge fan apart from the singles but Mark King is without doubt a master bassist

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

First band I ever saw live. Was at the Fridge in Brixton and they were supported by The Flying Pickets. I liked them up until their 3rd album but then become bored by them as they went to commercial.

Starchild is easily their best song.

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

"First band I ever saw live. Was at the Fridge in Brixton and they were supported by The Flying Pickets. I liked them up until their 3rd album but then become bored by them as they went to commercial.

Starchild is easily their best song. "

This was in 1981

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"First band I ever saw live. Was at the Fridge in Brixton and they were supported by The Flying Pickets. I liked them up until their 3rd album but then become bored by them as they went to commercial.

Starchild is easily their best song. "

I actually got into them through their more commercial stuff and then "found" the earlier stuff which was better

As a bass player myself Mark King is one of my all time heroes. Theres no other bass player in the world matches his style of playing. Unfortunately never got the chance to check them out live but I absolutely love all their stuff

Somewhere In The Ether…

I last saw them last at Rewind a few years back; Always great live and not least of all to see Mark’s amazing bass techniques.

Early years were better when they were a jazz funk band before getting bastardised by the pop industry

Used to like them around the pursuit of accidents album and another band -light of the world

By *NACONDA1000Man  over a year ago

buncrana

"One of my absolute personal favourite bands from the eighties, boasting an amazing catalogue of hits.

Mark King - a true bass God! He could (and still can!) play every trick in the book and then some.

Anyway, your favourite Level 42 songs my good people if you please.

Who’s seen them live? "

The Chinese Way, Sons & Daughters and of course Lessons In Love!

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Saw them at the Cambridge corn exchange about five years ago. It was the tour to mark 25 years of Running in the family and they ripped straight through the album . Terrific stuff.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

How interesting. I am currently listening through their back catalogue on Spotify.

My favourite is Something About You.

I have always found they had some great singles and the rest of the albums were quite average to my ears. They were/are much more exciting live than on record, like many bands.

Mark King is indeed a monster bass player. It's particularly impressive because that's not his first instrument and he only took it up because the band needed somebody to play it.

RIP Boon.

» Add a new message to this topic