FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Actors born for their roles.

Actors born for their roles.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Some people were born to play the role of the character they’re hired to portray. Some actors/actresses make it there own.

Margot Robbie was mentioned in another thread, and as good as she is, (nailed an absolute nutty yet sexy woman) others could have played it.

Don Perlman as Hellboy is my example, he is made to play that role. But other super hero’s just don’t look the part, and have to put in some hard work to convince you.

Edward Norton is certainly and will never be a David Banner, just no.

And moving from comic franchises to the Terminator. Arnold Swartz...Arnie was the only one to play a T1000.

Who can you think of that stands out, good or bad?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Keifer Sutherland, Jack Bauer in 24

David Jason Del Boy

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

Peter Dinklage is perfect for Tyrian Lanister

"Keifer Sutherland, Jack Bauer in 24

David Jason Del Boy

"

Delboy.

By *iss.ddWoman  over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Michael Keaton for me is the only person who could have played Beetle Juice

Rami Malek!

Brandon Lee the Crow and Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Also added thought Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter

Ben Afflek Batman no sorry

Heath Ledger The Joker awesome

"Brandon Lee the Crow and Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Also added thought Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter"
The new Lara Croft is crap can’t remember her name though

I don’t think he was born to play this part as he is a cracking actor, Robert Downey Jr as Ironman! I doubt I will ever accept anyone else lol

D.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Stallone IS Rocky!

And I don't think anybody else could have been Han Solo or Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford

"Some people were born to play the role of the character they’re hired to portray. Some actors/actresses make it there own.

Margot Robbie was mentioned in another thread, and as good as she is, (nailed an absolute nutty yet sexy woman) others could have played it.

Don Perlman as Hellboy is my example, he is made to play that role. But other super hero’s just don’t look the part, and have to put in some hard work to convince you.

And moving from comic franchises to the Terminator. Arnold Swartz...Arnie was the only one to play a T1000.

Who can you think of that stands out, good or bad? "

Arnie was the t800 the 1000 was thw liquid metal dude

By *heLaserGuyMan  over a year ago

Coventry

John Cleese - Basil Faulty

No one would've played Homer Simpson in quite the same way as he did

"I don’t think he was born to play this part as he is a cracking actor, Robert Downey Jr as Ironman! I doubt I will ever accept anyone else lol

D."

I know, that’s who I’d say has made the part his. Maybe someone could have played it at the time, but now you can’t picture anyone else.

"

Arnie was the t800 the 1000 was thw liquid metal dude "

Thank you.

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

George Cole - always playing spivs.

The original Flash Harry, in the St trinians movies, and Arthur Daley in minder.

Without a doubt, Ryan Reynolds was born to play the role of Deadpool.

"I don’t think he was born to play this part as he is a cracking actor, Robert Downey Jr as Ironman! I doubt I will ever accept anyone else lol

D."

Totally agree with this one he seems to be perfect for the role

Harrison ford as Indiana Jones I couldn’t imagine anyone else as him

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Bette Davis was born to play Baby Jane.

For me..

Al Pacino - Godfather

Tom Hanks - Forest Gump

Loads...

By *p4funCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

Ted ..... he nailed it

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

"Brandon Lee the Crow and Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Also added thought Daniel Radcliffe Harry PotterThe new Lara Croft is crap can’t remember her name though "
She looks just like the new rebooted games Lara but haven't saw the film so can't compare any further than that.

"Some people were born to play the role of the character they’re hired to portray. Some actors/actresses make it there own.

and the t-850

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"Stallone IS Rocky!

And I don't think anybody else could have been Han Solo or Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford "

Harrison Ford wasn't first choice to play in indiana Jones. They wanted Tom Selleck but he was contracted to Magnum PI at the time

Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street. He plays that arsehole of a man perfectly.

Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter

"Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street. He plays that arsehole of a man perfectly."
I agree Cixi he is a cunt in real life xx

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury (technically the character was rewritten in his image anyway)

J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson

With regards to Batman, based on the actual comparison to their comic book version Ben Affleck is by far the best batman to date. Keaton and Bale were good in their versions of batman but not as batman.

This works best when the character has a source material to fall back on.

I think very few actors get roles that they are perfect for, somebody else could have played just as well but differently. The source material helps differentiate. However as you say some actors make the role so iconic that nobody else can ever compare when it is recast.

Marlon Brando - Don Vito Corleone in the Godfather

"Brandon Lee the Crow and Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Also added thought Daniel Radcliffe Harry PotterThe new Lara Croft is crap can’t remember her name though She looks just like the new rebooted games Lara but haven't saw the film so can't compare any further than that."

Using the new games as the reference, she works well in the role. Much better than Jolie in that regard, but also because Lara never really had a personality in the older games for Jolie to work with. It was just the look.

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

Im glad someone else pointed that out, it was niggling me lol

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Arthur Lowe Captain Mainwaring

Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes

David Souchet Poirot

Joan Hickson Miss Marple

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

To throw a hand grenade into this - is it because they were born to play the role, or just they have made it their own to the point you just can't imagine anyone else playing it?

To use an example, it's a well known fact that Tom Selleck was first choice for Indiana Jones, but was unable to do the film because of contractual obligations to Magnum - if he had got the part would we be saying he was born to play Indy now?

"Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street. He plays that arsehole of a man perfectly.I agree Cixi he is a cunt in real life xx"

Who? DiCaprio or the Wall Street guy. Maybe I misunderstood the question. I think DiCaprio is a great actor, though some of his roles haven't been all that great.

He really sold me on the Wall Street guy though, can't remember the real name, but I know he's a total tosser, he's in Wall Street

"To throw a hand grenade into this - is it because they were born to play the role, or just they have made it their own to the point you just can't imagine anyone else playing it?

To use an example, it's a well known fact that Tom Selleck was first choice for Indiana Jones, but was unable to do the film because of contractual obligations to Magnum - if he had got the part would we be saying he was born to play Indy now?"

Good point. Some roles have been played by several people - James Bond and Sherlock Holmes are two that spring to mind.

Vin diesel- Pitch black

Jim Carrey- the mask

Mike Myers - Austin Powers

"Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street. He plays that arsehole of a man perfectly.I agree Cixi he is a cunt in real life xx

Who? DiCaprio or the Wall Street guy. Maybe I misunderstood the question. I think DiCaprio is a great actor, though some of his roles haven't been all that great.

He really sold me on the Wall Street guy though, can't remember the real name, but I know he's a total tosser, he's in Wall Street "

Sorry the guy he played not Leonardo I love him x

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

"Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury (technically the character was rewritten in his image anyway)

With regards to Batman, based on the actual comparison to their comic book version Ben Affleck is by far the best batman to date. Keaton and Bale were good in their versions of batman but not as batman.

I think very few actors get roles that they are perfect for, somebody else could have played just as well but differently. The source material helps differentiate. However as you say some actors make the role so iconic that nobody else can ever compare when it is recast.

"

I have to disagree with Ben Affleck being the best Batman. He’s wooden and looks uncomfortable.

Christian Bale is my vote

Sigourney weaver -alien

I have to disagree with Ben Affleck being the best Batman. He’s wooden and looks uncomfortable.

Christian Bale is my vote "

i said he was crap x

"To throw a hand grenade into this - is it because they were born to play the role, or just they have made it their own to the point you just can't imagine anyone else playing it?

To use an example, it's a well known fact that Tom Selleck was first choice for Indiana Jones, but was unable to do the film because of contractual obligations to Magnum - if he had got the part would we be saying he was born to play Indy now?

Good point. Some roles have been played by several people - James Bond and Sherlock Holmes are two that spring to mind. "

as I said above, some roles actors were born the play a role, usually any with source material to fall back on, and they often reflect that characters personality in real life. RDJr as iron man and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Majority of roles are just iconic. The played then so well you could never see an other be that character.

Robert Downy Jr. Iron Man

"Michael Keaton for me is the only person who could have played Beetle Juice"

It has also recently been suggested that his was the best portrayal of Batman.

David Tennant - Doctor Who.

As a boy he was such a huge fan and always wanted to be the Doctor but as he grew up he realised that was never going to happen and so became an actor instead. By far the best Doctor ever!

Christian Bale is my vote "

Bale worked well as the realistic Nolan version. He would be terrible in a more comic book version. And he was a fucking atrocious Bruce Wayne. Probably the worst of them all as Bruce Wayne.

Affleck never really got the time to shine because the 2 movies he played batman (3 if you count suicide squad) were awful movies anyway which just enforces the dislike people had for him.

"Stallone IS Rocky!

And I don't think anybody else could have been Han Solo or Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford Harrison Ford wasn't first choice to play in indiana Jones. They wanted Tom Selleck but he was contracted to Magnum PI at the time "

He wasn't Lucas' first choice for Han Solo either - but I doubt anyone else would have made either character the massive hits that they became.

Mr Doublehunbon as The One Man Gangbang.

My oussy is swollen after last night

By *relanddirectMan  over a year ago

cheshire

Schindlers list, Liam neeson

"Ted ..... he nailed it "

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Sean Connery is James Bond

I find it rather interesting that some of the suggestions above are for roles that have only been portrayed by one actor / actress.

How about those parts that have been depicted by many over the years? (My favourites in brackets)

James Bond (Pierce Brosnan)

Hercule Poirot (David Suchet)

Miss Marple (Joan Hicks)

Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Superman (Christopher Reeve)

Captain Kirk (William Shatner)

"Stallone IS Rocky!

And I don't think anybody else could have been Han Solo or Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford Harrison Ford wasn't first choice to play in indiana Jones. They wanted Tom Selleck but he was contracted to Magnum PI at the time

He wasn't Lucas' first choice for Han Solo either - but I doubt anyone else would have made either character the massive hits that they became."

That's the thing though - you'll never know for sure - if Selleck had got the role of Indy he may well have made it his own in the same way as Ford has.

"I find it rather interesting that some of the suggestions above are for roles that have only been portrayed by one actor / actress.

How about those parts that have been depicted by many over the years? (My favourites in brackets)

"

A very good point. I’ve also said Pierce was the best bond ever.

Dumbledore was better played by Micheal Gambon rather than Richard Harris

"I find it rather interesting that some of the suggestions above are for roles that have only been portrayed by one actor / actress.

Hercule Poirot (David Suchet)

Miss Marple (Joan Hicks)

Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Superman (Christopher Reeve)

Captain Kirk (William Shatner)

"

Brosnan is probably my least favourite Bond, Goldeneye was ok, but the others he did are mostly forgettable.

I think the thing with multi-actor franchises like those you've named is each actor brings something different to the role, sometimes deliberately to try and make the part their own, and in the case of Sherlock Holmes they even changed the period it was set to make it different.

Some are more successful at it than others - I'm not a fan of the series but Doctor Who is a good example of that.

Dumbledore was better played by Micheal Gambon rather than Richard Harris "

Oh yes, much prefered Gambon as Dumbledore

Jim Carey- the grinch

The reboot saddens me

F x

Dumbledore was better played by Micheal Gambon rather than Richard Harris

Oh yes, much prefered Gambon as Dumbledore"

I dont think he quite had the softer and kinder side of dumbledore though. Overall better but could have been played better.

Needed a mix of the two.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Christopher Lee as Dracula

Walter Matthau - Oscar Madison

Jack Lemon - Felix Unger

The Odd Couple

They were a perfect match in all the films they were in. None moreso than The Odd Couple

Jon Bethnal - Frank Castle The Punisher!

David Tennant - The 10th Doctor

Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones

Patrick Mcgoohan - Number Six in the Prisoner!

By *ctionnotwords69Man  over a year ago

ENFIELD

William Shatner....James T Kirk

Leonard Nimoy ....Spock

DeForest Kelly.... Leonard Bones McCoy

??

By *ctionnotwords69Man  over a year ago

ENFIELD

George Lazenby....James Bond

"Christopher Lee as Dracula"

Absolutely!

Michael J Fox - Marty McFly

Christopher Lloyd - Doc Emmett Brown

Johnny Depp - Captain Jack Sparrow

Bruce Willis - Lieutennant John Mclane

Russell Crowe as Maximus (Gladiator

Joe Pesci as Tommy in Goodfellas and Nicky in Casino

Edward Norton in American history X, he nailed that role

"I

Brosnan is probably my least favourite Bond, Goldeneye was ok, but the others he did are mostly forgettable.

I think the thing with multi-actor franchises like those you've named is each actor brings something different to the role, sometimes deliberately to try and make the part their own, and in the case of Sherlock Holmes they even changed the period it was set to make it different.

Some are more successful at it than others - I'm not a fan of the series but Doctor Who is a good example of that."

A very good example. My favourite was Alistair McCoy and David Tennant.

"Walter Matthau - Oscar Madison

Jack Lemon - Felix Unger

The Odd Couple

They were a perfect match in all the films they were in. None moreso than The Odd Couple

"

One of my favourite older films. Jack Lemmon was genius.

By *exyfuncouple-40Couple  over a year ago

Bloxham

John Wayne roaster cogburn

And Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry

"I

Some are more successful at it than others - I'm not a fan of the series but Doctor Who is a good example of that.

A very good example. My favourite was Alistair McCoy and David Tennant. "

Was Alistair related to Sylvester in any way?

By *exyfuncouple-40Couple  over a year ago

Bloxham

"I

Was Alistair related to Sylvester in any way? "

And do they make chrisps as well

"I

Was Alistair related to Sylvester in any way?

And do they make chrisps as well "

Hahaha. So sorry, this is why I have other people in my pub quiz team. .

Coming back to my earlier point though, I honestly think It's not so much a case of an actor was born to play a particular role, more they have made the role their own to the point we can't imagine anyone else playing the part. Or in most cases where a remake has been done, it's viewed badly as the lead actor doesn't match up to the one we're most familiar with.

For pretty much every role named on this thread (the multi-actor franchises apart) assuming the film had been as big a hit regardless - had someone else been in the role we'd be saying that person, not the one who did play it.

Humphrey Bogart, Rick - Casablanca

John Candy - Uncle Buck

Gene Hackman, Popeye Doyle - The French Connection

Roy Sheider, Chief Brody - Jaws

Macauley Culkin, Kevin - Home Alone

To name but a few

By *entish79Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Basically everyone in Cold Feet.

By *entish79Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Emma Mackey in Sex Education.

Give Maeve all the awards now.

By *andom2chatMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

Sean Connery as James Bond.

Whilst he may not (initially) have been Fleming’s idea of his literary hero, he did manage to win the author’s approval in the end.

The way Terence Young coached Connery, introduced him with that iconic opening line & had kept the actor’s face hidden until delivering that line instantly made Connery the first & best for me. Whilst others have gone on to make the role their own too, Connery set the standard in cinematic terms of the franchise which nobody else can ever do.

Our present Queen. wether you like royalty or not..she has played the role with dignity..

Theresa May. She's doing well as the useless politician.

By *rtraymondo76Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"George Lazenby....James Bond

"

The worst of all the Bond's and you have to go some to beat some of the others.

Jerry Seinfeld in Seinfeld

Thora Hird..born to play ordinary northern lass -70year career

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Oliver Reed in, The Trap.

By *hrobbermanMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Jackie Gleason as Buford T. Justice in the Smokey and the Bandit films. Every Southern sheriff in a film since has been based on Gleason's brilliant portrayal.

Frances de la Tour as Miss Jones in Rising Damp. She's just perfect.

By *rtraymondo76Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

The original cast of The Expendables all brought something to their individual roles. Sorry I can't say the same for a recent one I saw on TV, with only maybe one addition worth the effort.

By *hor ThumbMan  over a year ago

bristol

I was made to play my role but i have so many characters inside, im like the full cast.

By *appy chap!!Man  over a year ago

harlow

Morgan Freeman when he played God.

Charlie Chaplin as the tramp

"Pal", 1940 male dog who played female character 'lassie'!!!

» Add a new message to this topic