FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do they still teach about jesus in schools?

Do they still teach about jesus in schools?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I remember that we had it in class when I was younger every xmas back in the 90s, but not so much later, how is it now and should west be more proud of their religion? I think so.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Why? The sooner we’ve gotten rid of the whole Sorry affair, the better.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I remember that we had it in class when I was younger every xmas back in the 90s, but not so much later, how is it now and should west be more proud of their religion? I think so."

I'm pretty sure that they do but I am guessing that to be inclusive they probably have to provide teachings about other religions.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Going on the number of nativity plays in local schools lately, lots obviously do.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

How can you be "proud" of Christianity? Even the boss doesn't seem to like pride "God opposes the proud but shows favour to the humble.” - James 4:6. As part of history, yes, religions should be taught or as part of literature study with the other works of fiction.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Yes indeed, he plays for Man City

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

Yes they do.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that Christianity is the religion of the west. Perhaps in the past, but not any longer.

I'm very much in favour of giving people cultural literacy, which will include major religions.

Religion is taught at my daughter's school (She's 6). They do mention other religions. I don't want religion rammed down her throat. She can make her own mind up when she's older and came form an informed opinion.

They do. My daughter often talks about jesus. However the Christmas play wasn't the traditional nativity. Just carols with all the kids dressed up as stuff.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

One of my grandsons is doing religious education for his gcses

Yes my grandsons school did a concert explaining how other country’s celebrate christmas rather than the normal nativity story

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

My kids were taught about most religions

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I was brought up at Boarding School, and we were taught about the Bible and all things "Christian", but although I still hold a lot of those beliefs, I still can't make a loaf of bread and a couple of fishes last me, nor can I make wine out of water, the list goes on......

Manchester (she/her)

"I was brought up at Boarding School, and we were taught about the Bible and all things "Christian", but although I still hold a lot of those beliefs, I still can't make a loaf of bread and a couple of fishes last me, nor can I make wine out of water, the list goes on......

"

I'm still trying to work out if anyone has faith the size of a mustard seed.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I was brought up at Boarding School, and we were taught about the Bible and all things "Christian", but although I still hold a lot of those beliefs, I still can't make a loaf of bread and a couple of fishes last me, nor can I make wine out of water, the list goes on......

I'm still trying to work out if anyone has faith the size of a mustard seed. "

There's loads of weird sayings in that book, I think they just made it up as they went along

Manchester (she/her)

There's loads of weird sayings in that book, I think they just made it up as they went along "

I want to see someone move a mountain. That'd be awesome.

By *cgkcCouple  over a year ago

Hitchin

"

I'm very much in favour of giving people cultural literacy, which will include major religions. "

Yep

P xxx

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

There's loads of weird sayings in that book, I think they just made it up as they went along

I want to see someone move a mountain. That'd be awesome. "

That dude from The Shamen can move any mountain.

I wound my R.E techer up so much he threw a table at me, very Christian I must say!

Manchester (she/her)

"I wound my R.E techer up so much he threw a table at me, very Christian I must say! "

When asking what Jesus would do, whips and throwing tables is indeed a viable option.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

"Why? The sooner we’ve gotten rid of the whole Sorry affair, the better."

They shouldn't teach religion in schools.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

You honestly didn't want to see me in our rendition of Jesus Christ Superstar when I was aged about 13 then

"I wound my R.E techer up so much he threw a table at me, very Christian I must say! "

How very commendable.

Manchester (she/her)

"Why? The sooner we’ve gotten rid of the whole Sorry affair, the better.

They shouldn't teach religion in schools."

I think it should be taught in the same way mythology is taught. Here are the major figures, stories, beliefs, and rituals.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Yes, they should.

Or, more specifically, schools should teach pupils about different religions and beliefs.

However, this should be tough in a general way rather than as though any religion is truth.

Nita

Only an ignorant person would say that. It's more about learning about the different faiths and cultures. If more people learnt to be tolerant of others and have more of an understanding and acceptance the world would be a much nicer place.

Yes, they should.

Or, more specifically, schools should teach pupils about different religions and beliefs.

However, this should be tough in a general way rather than as though any religion is truth.

Nita"

this.

It's always interesting to see people complaining about religion and it's place in modern society.

Surely it's people's choice?

Besides like it or not, history is fundamentally built on it, so understanding it is important?

Would the same response have been given if the subject was other mainline religions?

By *uffymayfairCouple  over a year ago

vera playa, Almeria

Up here on the isle of Lewis there's a very strong religious community, some of them are the most unforgiving judgemental people I've ever met, religion is really pushed in the schools to the extent that other lessons suffer. The sports centre and shops do not open on a Sunday because the church has a massive influence over the council.

Should religion be taught in schools, only to show the negatives caused by religious bigots and the death and suffering that is committed on the name of religion.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Jesus (hey-zeus)

Who’s he?

"I wound my R.E techer up so much he threw a table at me, very Christian I must say!

When asking what Jesus would do, whips and throwing tables is indeed a viable option. "

They only had stone tables back then, wouldn't pick them up. Look I don't give a crap about Religion, personally I think it's the Evil of the World! Too many Religions to fight over. When you see them in the street pushing Religion! If Jesus is everywhere then surely he'll find me if he exists. There is no such thing as Religion, it was just a way of controlling the masses.

Not all Christian practices are specifically outlined in the Bible and the Bible wasn't a defined thing for several centuries. The Roman Catholic Church is not unambiguously the "first church" In the UK not everyone belongs to whatever religion they were brought up in. So you can change your Religious beliefs as you feel? I think Muslims and not eating pork came about because pork goes bad quick and back in them days they didn't have freezers or refrigeration so couldn't keep it fresh and people got sick? Think about it... these peoplewho wrote the bibleand created Jesus didn't have Fab and Eastenders to keep them occupied. They had great imaginations, great drugs and great orgies! I've taken magic mushroom and had a mars bar chase me, they saw some bloke walk on water. I don't worship mars bars!

That's how I feel about it anyway. Merry Christmas

https://youtu.be/35K6vQRt67g

Craggy Island

Only an ignorant person would say that. It's more about learning about the different faiths and cultures. If more people learnt to be tolerant of others and have more of an understanding and acceptance the world would be a much nicer place. "

How many wars have we had over religion ???

I don't need to know about a person religion to be tolerant of a HUMAN BEING or give them acceptance and and understanding.

Only an ignorant person would say that. It's more about learning about the different faiths and cultures. If more people learnt to be tolerant of others and have more of an understanding and acceptance the world would be a much nicer place.

I don't need to know about a person religion to be tolerant of a HUMAN BEING or give them acceptance and and understanding."

You don't think that intolerance and lack of understanding might have contributed to these wars?

Craggy Island

I don't need to know about a person religion to be tolerant of a HUMAN BEING or give them acceptance and and understanding.

You don't think that intolerance and lack of understanding might have contributed to these wars?"

Forcing one's beliefs are superior over the other did

You don't think that intolerance and lack of understanding might have contributed to these wars?

Forcing one's beliefs are superior over the other did "

Right. So if other religions weren't taught in school then how do you expect children to grow up with a balanced view and understanding of others if they are only brought up with their parents beliefs, thinking that is the "right way"?

Religion is Evil

Don't get me wrong, I have had help from a church in my homeless days. I stayed in a couple, you had to prey before eating. I skipped food! If I was a Devil worshiper and preached in the street about sacrificing sheep Idget locked up! It's ok for people to preach in the street calling us all sinners! You're only a sinner if you're a believer, so I ain't no sinner!

Manchester (she/her)

I think, regardless of what you think about religion, it's probably in everyone's best interests to understand the major influences they have or have had over lives and cultures, so we can be sensitive to one another and figure out how to get along. The problem is teaching any one (or subset of one) as truth, particularly in a public setting like a school.

Craggy Island

Right. So if other religions weren't taught in school then how do you expect children to grow up with a balanced view and understanding of others if they are only brought up with their parents beliefs, thinking that is the "right way"?"

Because all religion is based on the same principles Just be nice to each other and it has been turned into no more a lot of brainwashing clamp trap and identity politics

"I think, regardless of what you think about religion, it's probably in everyone's best interests to understand the major influences they have or have had over lives and cultures, so we can be sensitive to one another and figure out how to get along. The problem is teaching any one (or subset of one) as truth, particularly in a public setting like a school. "

I don't think kids these days believe in all that? Unless it's in the home too. Even then, Science has proven so much about the creation of the Earth and the Universe. Fun fact.... did you know the nearest star is 4 light years away, so the light you see took 4 years to reach Earth. Been on a documentary binge!

By *allSteveMan  over a year ago

Poole

I respect other people beliefs and the fact they are religious.

But it really pisses me off that you get it forced upon you from every angle. I'm not a religious person and in my personal opinion religion is just another form of control.

Stop being sheep and having the wool pulled over your eyes!!

Right. So if other religions weren't taught in school then how do you expect children to grow up with a balanced view and understanding of others if they are only brought up with their parents beliefs, thinking that is the "right way"?

Because all religion is based on the same principles Just be nice to each other and it has been turned into no more a lot of brainwashing clamp trap and identity politics "

Regardless of any one person's particular beliefs I still believe it's important to learn about other faiths. I'm not saying you have to believe in it

Manchester (she/her)

"I think, regardless of what you think about religion, it's probably in everyone's best interests to understand the major influences they have or have had over lives and cultures, so we can be sensitive to one another and figure out how to get along. The problem is teaching any one (or subset of one) as truth, particularly in a public setting like a school.

I don't think kids these days believe in all that? Unless it's in the home too. Even then, Science has proven so much about the creation of the Earth and the Universe. Fun fact.... did you know the nearest star is 4 light years away, so the light you see took 4 years to reach Earth. Been on a documentary binge! "

But it still influences our culture. Religious celebrations, the way people eat, philosophies of society, wars being fought, and more. Literary references, you name it. Kids should know, but they shouldn't be preached to.

Because all religion is based on the same principles Just be nice to each other and it has been turned into no more a lot of brainwashing clamp trap and identity politics

Regardless of any one person's particular beliefs I still believe it's important to learn about other faiths. I'm not saying you have to believe in it "

It is interesting. I work for Muslims and we do talk about it as I am genuinely interested. Why they famine and don't eat pork. Why most of their family is either called Mohammed or Ali? That's how well I get on with them. Not being Racist, it is true! We can have an fun with it, they know I don't believe and don't push it on me. Also Friday preys means Fridays off so that's good. I get on with anyone and everyone until they piss me off.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Maybe in Espagne

There are lots of guys called “Jesus” out there.

Pronounced heyzeus

I remember a few years ago Jehovah's came to my door, talked to my wee son and promised him eternal life. He said yay so I can play Minecraft forever?? He was sold. So I told him I wasn't sure he would want to be a Jehovah as they didn't believe in Jesus. And why do we celebrate Christmas? He said cos it's Santa's birthday

This year as Christmas gets more and more commercial and less to do with Jesus I said this year would be our last Christmas, as we don't actually believe in God or Jesus. I said let's celebrate the New Year instead, a week later. You would think I suggested murdering puppies for all the support that idea got

Who ? Only Mohammad

"I remember a few years ago Jehovah's came to my door, talked to my wee son and promised him eternal life. He said yay so I can play Minecraft forever?? He was sold. So I told him I wasn't sure he would want to be a Jehovah as they didn't believe in Jesus. And why do we celebrate Christmas? He said cos it's Santa's birthday

This year as Christmas gets more and more commercial and less to do with Jesus I said this year would be our last Christmas, as we don't actually believe in God or Jesus. I said let's celebrate the New Year instead, a week later. You would think I suggested murdering puppies for all the support that idea got "

A friend of mine.... no really.... a friend of mine answered the door to Jehovah witnesses and he said 'I'd love to chat but I need to clean this house'. They only helped clean the house! Worth half hour chat I think?

By *eanne n AliCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

"Religion is taught at my daughter's school (She's 6). They do mention other religions. I don't want religion rammed down her throat. She can make her own mind up when she's older and came form an informed opinion. "

I (Leanne) completely agree with you on this. When I was at school this was practically rammed down our throats every Christmas. I was never a big fan of religion as a child because none of it made any sense.

I think children in schools should be made aware of all the religions and be taught to respect people's beliefs but that is as far as it should go.

"Religion is taught at my daughter's school (She's 6). They do mention other religions. I don't want religion rammed down her throat. She can make her own mind up when she's older and came form an informed opinion.

I (Leanne) completely agree with you on this. When I was at school this was practically rammed down our throats every Christmas. I was never a big fan of religion as a child because none of it made any sense.

I think children in schools should be made aware of all the religions and be taught to respect people's beliefs but that is as far as it should go. "

That was my experience of religion at school and even at my kids schools. One goes to a Catholic school and the other a c of e school. Neither of which seem to ram religion down their throats and neither of my kids have any leaning towards a particular religion. God knows how some people seem to have experienced such extremism in schools recently. It baffles me.

By *roticGoddessXXWoman  over a year ago

Richmond

I think it should be taught in the same way mythology is taught. Here are the major figures, stories, beliefs, and rituals. "

I agree. My kids, growing up in the US til preteens, where not happy once they studied English lit and found out that they knew nothing of the bible stories that play so prominently in Western literature.

It would've been useful. I like how in the UK the info is taught without the religious morality behind it all.

At the age of 9, my son's headmaster wrote on his school report "I am very disappointed that ****** doesn't believe in god". We thought that was an odd thing to write on a nine year olds report but let the comment pass!

My son goes to a catholic school, they teach about Jesus.

"At the age of 9, my son's headmaster wrote on his school report "I am very disappointed that ****** doesn't believe in god". We thought that was an odd thing to write on a nine year olds report but let the comment pass!"

I would have had a good at him,who the fuck do they think they are!!

By *iker BullMan  over a year ago

leeds

From my take on history,there have been far too many wars,deaths and atrocities caused in the name of religion,leave it at the school gate is my opinion.

By *ixfootinthecityMan  over a year ago

London

I think some people are confusing ‘teaching about religion’ with ‘religious teachings’.

Teaching about religions is as necessary as teaching English, Science or History. In fact they’re integral to one another. With no knowledge of religion and what people believe/believed/were legally forced to believe any teaching of history would make no sense, nor would almost the entire canon of world literature.

Organised religion might be (it definitely is) the worst thing to have happened to human civilisation, but unfortunately it’s also been the most dominant factor in the last couple of millennia of it.

Teaching children a religion as truth though? Well that’s just medieval. Apart from Santa obviously, he’s only a temporary deity anyway. And he brings toblerones.

"At the age of 9, my son's headmaster wrote on his school report "I am very disappointed that ****** doesn't believe in god". We thought that was an odd thing to write on a nine year olds report but let the comment pass!

I would have had a good at him,who the fuck do they think they are!!"

Good go*

"From my take on history,there have been far too many wars,deaths and atrocities caused in the name of religion,leave it at the school gate is my opinion."

You don't think we can at least try to teach our children an understanding of past mistakes?

"I think some people are confusing ‘teaching about religion’ with ‘religious teachings’.

Teaching about religions is as necessary as teaching English, Science or History. In fact they’re integral to one another. With no knowledge of religion and what people believe/believed/were legally forced to believe any teaching of history would make no sense, nor would almost the entire canon of world literature.

Organised religion might be (it definitely is) the worst thing to have happened to human civilisation, but unfortunately it’s also been the most dominant factor in the last couple of millennia of it.

Teaching children a religion as truth though? Well that’s just medieval. Apart from Santa obviously, he’s only a temporary deity anyway. And he brings toblerones. "

Jesus is the first documented zombie.

Died then came back to life!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"At the age of 9, my son's headmaster wrote on his school report "I am very disappointed that ****** doesn't believe in god". We thought that was an odd thing to write on a nine year olds report but let the comment pass!"

When I was at school a man came to give us a talk about atheism and agnosticism. Afterwards while he was still in the hall a teacher marched on to the stage and vehemently denounced him and his evil beliefs. So much for a rounded education! It wasn't a faith school either.

"At the age of 9, my son's headmaster wrote on his school report "I am very disappointed that ****** doesn't believe in god". We thought that was an odd thing to write on a nine year olds report but let the comment pass!

I would have had a good at him,who the fuck do they think they are!!

Good go*"

In the interest of my son not having too hard a time at school we let it go over our heads. There are still things that I wish I had/could have said that pop into my head from time to time. The headmaster took early retirement, became a missionary and went to Africa... probably what he should have done in the first place instead of becoming head of a secular school!

I think it's important to teach about religion, it helps to give context to history... I think teaching faith and religion as fact and a way of life should be left to parents and the church (whichever one)!

There is no doubt that religion can be attributed to lots of atrocities throughout history but, it also drives individuals to commit amazing acts of kindness and self sacrifice. So, for some people it works... just not for me though!

By *iker BullMan  over a year ago

leeds

"From my take on history,there have been far too many wars,deaths and atrocities caused in the name of religion,leave it at the school gate is my opinion.

You don't think we can at least try to teach our children an understanding of past mistakes? "

indeed we can,but to do so you would have to teach them every known religion since the stone age,which would take most of their lives and still they would be no wiser.

When will radical feminism, red pill and Brexit become registered faiths?

There are great parallels.

By *ynetaurusMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

How many people have been killed in the name of religion?..John Lennon Quote...The opium of the masses

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"

Wine out of water.... all you need is a good wine kit.

By *entileschiWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

They should teach about all gods at school whilst adding that all gods are a human construct.

Yes apparently was now a woman

"I remember that we had it in class when I was younger every xmas back in the 90s, but not so much later, how is it now and should west be more proud of their religion? I think so."

How do mean “west religion”?

"Yes my grandsons school did a concert explaining how other country’s celebrate christmas rather than the normal nativity story "

Wait what? Other countries celebrate Xmas?

Faith moves mountains. She’s a big girl that Faith!!!

They should as it’s part of history BUT not as fact. Should teach all religions too. See how they all messed up

"Jesus (hey-zeus)

Who’s he?"

Was our waiter in Gran Canaria

"I wound my R.E techer up so much he threw a table at me, very Christian I must say!

When asking what Jesus would do, whips and throwing tables is indeed a viable option.

They only had stone tables back then, wouldn't pick them up. Look I don't give a crap about Religion, personally I think it's the Evil of the World! Too many Religions to fight over. When you see them in the street pushing Religion! If Jesus is everywhere then surely he'll find me if he exists. There is no such thing as Religion, it was just a way of controlling the masses.

Not all Christian practices are specifically outlined in the Bible and the Bible wasn't a defined thing for several centuries. The Roman Catholic Church is not unambiguously the "first church" In the UK not everyone belongs to whatever religion they were brought up in. So you can change your Religious beliefs as you feel? I think Muslims and not eating pork came about because pork goes bad quick and back in them days they didn't have freezers or refrigeration so couldn't keep it fresh and people got sick? Think about it... these peoplewho wrote the bibleand created Jesus didn't have Fab and Eastenders to keep them occupied. They had great imaginations, great drugs and great orgies! I've taken magic mushroom and had a mars bar chase me, they saw some bloke walk on water. I don't worship mars bars!

That's how I feel about it anyway. Merry Christmas

Love this post!!! Lol

https://youtu.be/35K6vQRt67g "

By *thwiltsmMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Yep still teaching about the only white hipster looking dude in the Middle East

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It shouldn't be given much attention as most people are no longer active Christians Imo. We should devote most time and money to develop children better for the future world and leadership that we need. I'd make it compulsory for any school receiving public money to have no mention of religion, except as part of learning about society and tolerance

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

"Up here on the isle of Lewis there's a very strong religious community, some of them are the most unforgiving judgemental people I've ever met, religion is really pushed in the schools to the extent that other lessons suffer. The sports centre and shops do not open on a Sunday because the church has a massive influence over the council.

Should religion be taught in schools, only to show the negatives caused by religious bigots and the death and suffering that is committed on the name of religion.

"

It was exactly the same when I lived on the island. The fishermen couldn't wait until 1 minute past midnight on a Sunday so they could get out fishing. Mind you that was on Harris.

» Add a new message to this topic