FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Homelessness is on the increase.

Homelessness is on the increase.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It is a national tragedy that is caused by the torys, with the benefits taken away from some wich wont help and food banks that is the new supermarkets, what can be done to tackle the problem? As you know I like to help out and I sometimes give food and drinks, it is also a very christian thing to do and it makes you feel good when you do it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I live in an affluent area and even we have two genuinely homeless people here. Its very very sad

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Not sure I've understood properly. You give when you can remember, and it makes you feel good.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It is a national tragedy that is caused by the torys, with the benefits taken away from some wich wont help and food banks that is the new supermarkets, what can be done to tackle the problem? As you know I like to help out and I sometimes give food and drinks, it is also a very christian thing to do and it makes you feel good when you do it."

Food banks are not very good for the homeless. People tend to donate tinned food or food that needs cooking like pasta etc... so the homeless are given biscuits and bread. Crap food. I donate a tenner here and there to the local food bank. Not much but it's a couple days food gor somone. If you donate to food banks, think about salad boxes, microwave meals....

[Removed by poster at 21/12/18 09:40:05]

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It is a national tragedy that is caused by the torys, with the benefits taken away from some wich wont help and food banks that is the new supermarkets, what can be done to tackle the problem? As you know I like to help out and I sometimes give food and drinks, it is also a very christian thing to do and it makes you feel good when you do it.

Food banks are not very good for the homeless. People tend to donate tinned food or food that needs cooking like pasta etc... so the homeless are given biscuits and bread. Crap food. I donate a tenner here and there to the local food bank. Not much but it's a couple days food gor somone. If you donate to food banks, think about salad boxes, microwave meals.... "

Or things that can be "cooked" with a kettle e.g. pasta in a packet that you just add water to. A lot of people are in accommodation with no cooking facilities other than a kettle.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It is a national tragedy that is caused by the torys, with the benefits taken away from some wich wont help and food banks that is the new supermarkets, what can be done to tackle the problem? As you know I like to help out and I sometimes give food and drinks, it is also a very christian thing to do and it makes you feel good when you do it."

It's good to help out

"Not sure I've understood properly. You give when you can remember, and it makes you feel good.

"

Don’t forget it’s also all the fault of the Tory’s, no one else’s.

"It is a national tragedy that is caused by the torys, with the benefits taken away from some wich wont help and food banks that is the new supermarkets, what can be done to tackle the problem? As you know I like to help out and I sometimes give food and drinks, it is also a very christian thing to do and it makes you feel good when you do it.

Food banks are not very good for the homeless. People tend to donate tinned food or food that needs cooking like pasta etc... so the homeless are given biscuits and bread. Crap food. I donate a tenner here and there to the local food bank. Not much but it's a couple days food gor somone. If you donate to food banks, think about salad boxes, microwave meals.... "

Until two years ago I volunteered in a local food bank. It is tricky when somebody has no means in which to heat food however before considering donating things like salad boxes microwave meals etc, it's probably best to check with your local food bank as a lot don't have the means to keep things refrigerated. When it came to people that were Street Homeless we would often try and give them things like fresh fruit as well. A lot of supermarkets donate fresh produce that can be given out on the same day. I know that food banks appreciate all donations.

Food banks are not very good for the homeless. People tend to donate tinned food or food that needs cooking like pasta etc... so the homeless are given biscuits and bread. Crap food. I donate a tenner here and there to the local food bank. Not much but it's a couple days food gor somone. If you donate to food banks, think about salad boxes, microwave meals....

Until two years ago I volunteered in a local food bank. It is tricky when somebody has no means in which to heat food however before considering donating things like salad boxes microwave meals etc, it's probably best to check with your local food bank as a lot don't have the means to keep things refrigerated. When it came to people that were Street Homeless we would often try and give them things like fresh fruit as well. A lot of supermarkets donate fresh produce that can be given out on the same day. I know that food banks appreciate all donations. "

Yeah good point about keeping it fresh. Fruit is a good one. I think personally giving the homeless food is best.

Until two years ago I volunteered in a local food bank. It is tricky when somebody has no means in which to heat food however before considering donating things like salad boxes microwave meals etc, it's probably best to check with your local food bank as a lot don't have the means to keep things refrigerated. When it came to people that were Street Homeless we would often try and give them things like fresh fruit as well. A lot of supermarkets donate fresh produce that can be given out on the same day. I know that food banks appreciate all donations.

Yeah good point about keeping it fresh. Fruit is a good one. I think personally giving the homeless food is best. "

in most cities and towns there are soup kitchens and a lot of churches provide hot meals, As do day centres. So often it's just about giving people a small supply food to keep them going in between times. Most if not all food banks will have information about local places where people can get hot food. Another really good thing to donate to food banks is toiletries, sanitary products, socks and gloves. And actually carrier bags and tin openers. A lot of people that used to come into the food bank I worked in didn't have a tin opener so we would often have to just give them ring pull cans which could limit what we could give them.

It's terrible.

They could be running away from something or someone, have an illness etc.

Whenever I'm in London I sometimes stop to have a chat, get told to fuck off by a few but that's fine.

But I always buy a large coffee some doughnuts and hand them over.

Don't give alcohol, a large coffee and doughnuts is only £5 and the doughnuts have plenty in them to give energy.

"Not sure I've understood properly. You give when you can remember, and it makes you feel good.

Don’t forget it’s also all the fault of the Tory’s, no one else’s. "

Well homelessness is up 169% since they took power in 2010, so there is that.

It's good to help out "

Ty and that is right

By *ross-eyed MaryMan  over a year ago

Salisbury

Sad indeed. Maybe after brexit we can prioritise our own people.

"Sad indeed. Maybe after brexit we can prioritise our own people. "

This makes no sense. What can't we do now to help the homeless that we will be able to do next April?

By *reelanderMan  over a year ago

rotherham

Very bad problem here in rotherham,sheffield and doncaster with so many sleeping in doorways and bustops.i cant get my head round the council will ignore them and let them suffer yet if they sailed accross the sea in a boat they would be fed and shelterd.

""

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

There are a few people I know near us who regularly get vouchers for cheaper fast food (burger/drinks for £2 etc) and will get a bunch and hand the meals out around the people sleeping rough in the town centre

It's a good way of keeping an eye on the 'regulars' sleeping there and you know they have had at least one hot meal

They do this off their own backs, no funding, and just have friends donate vouchers and money for them to do it

I understand people are homeless for lots of reasons so I won't hand over money, incase it does go on drink or drugs but I think the food and human interaction is a lovely idea

F

Is it? Where did you get this information from, especially as you don't even live here.

By *elly39devonCouple  over a year ago

tavistock

not quite sure its all the fault of the torys, its a sign of the times, landlords are charging too much and that is added to shortage of housing. many of the homeless people are drug addicts or people with mental problems and it is difficult to help them although I think loads more could be done. The young ones are running away from bad homes and they could be helped. Giving when you think about it is not good enough, give on a regular basis they are called standing orders or direct debits

Some street homeless, don’t want to be housed for a variety of reasons or won’t engage with those that can help. Many have a number of complex issues. Even if someone does get housed, you need the support agencies in place to help them maintain a tenancy. That’s where funding cuts don’t help.

Universal credit is really affecting the under 35s as well. They only get paid what is needed for a bedsit. It’s all online to claim, not an easy system so no wonder claimants get in a right mess with their rent.

wages havnt moved much in years. rents, energy bills, all other bills add to the stress which in turn can finish relationships.

for some people they just want out of it so end up like this on the streets.

many other reasons of course can contribute to why including drug addiction and alcohol. just remember they are still human beings. stop sometime have a chat, you may discover something about them and what they were before things took turn for the worse.

we all have value.

Doesn't homelessness increase every time the tories are in?

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"It is a national tragedy that is caused by the torys,..."

What a load of rubbish rough sleeping did not start with the Tories, I myself was a rough sleeper for quite a while during the 1970s when James Callaghan took over from Harold Wilson both Labour PMs, but why let facts spoil a rant

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"If you donate to food banks, think about salad boxes, microwave meals....

Or things that can be "cooked" with a kettle e.g. pasta in a packet that you just add water to. A lot of people are in accommodation with no cooking facilities other than a kettle."

This is true, but I have been to a few people's gaffs who live in shared accommodation as well as living in their own flat, and I honestly wouldn't put ma dog's dinner in there.

I have witnessed someone blow a Microwave up by trying to cook something while it was covered with tin foil, but judging by the state of said Microwave, that was probably the best thing that could have happened to it

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

[Removed by poster at 21/12/18 20:11:09]

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"[Flat removed by landlord at 21/12/18 20:11:09]"

That was a bit harsh! Did he give you much notice?

Is it? Where did you get this information from, especially as you don't even live here.

"

I have lived there for decades and it was on the news this week.

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

We often see the soup kitchen out in Gloucester and about forty or fifty regulars turn up . And I have to admit this is a tough one for me as I know for a fact that there are plenty of beds available for them , but they choose not to use them . It’s a lucrative thing to beg at night as people have been out enjoying themselves and are way more likely to give at 2, 3 , 4 in the morning . And no one is telling them what to do , or checking if they have been drinking or doing drugs either if they continue to sleep rough . The sleeping in shelters , ymca , and council run establishments all have stipulations with them which many homeless people don’t want to adhere to .

To be honest I can’t imagine how bad it must be to be homeless . I’m very lucky to have a family around me to support me . They haven’t , and whether it’s their fault or not , it’s a god awful way to live .

I don’t blame the tories , there have been as many living like this under Wilson , Callaghan , Blair and Brown . It’s a society thing , and equally an attitude amongst some of the homeless that it’s their choice to live like they do and we have no right to tell them what to do .

"We often see the soup kitchen out in Gloucester and about forty or fifty regulars turn up . And I have to admit this is a tough one for me as I know for a fact that there are plenty of beds available for them , but they choose not to use them . It’s a lucrative thing to beg at night as people have been out enjoying themselves and are way more likely to give at 2, 3 , 4 in the morning . And no one is telling them what to do , or checking if they have been drinking or doing drugs either if they continue to sleep rough . The sleeping in shelters , ymca , and council run establishments all have stipulations with them which many homeless people don’t want to adhere to .

To be honest I can’t imagine how bad it must be to be homeless . I’m very lucky to have a family around me to support me . They haven’t , and whether it’s their fault or not , it’s a god awful way to live .

I don’t blame the tories , there have been as many living like this under Wilson , Callaghan , Blair and Brown . It’s a society thing , and equally an attitude amongst some of the homeless that it’s their choice to live like they do and we have no right to tell them what to do . "

I agree that some choose to be homeless and it has always been around...But it is on the increase at a alarming rate.

Mainly since UC becoming more prevalent whereby people who may get a sanction ..for being late for a appointment maybe...they then get their benefit stopped. In pre-UC times they would have had their accommodation still paid..but not under UC.

I just hope they will abolish this whole thing...or at least change the harshness of it.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I don’t blame the tories , there have been as many living like this under Wilson , Callaghan , Blair and Brown . It’s a society thing , and equally an attitude amongst some of the homeless that it’s their choice to live like they do and we have no right to tell them what to do . "

Whilst I agree with what you say, I live in Derby which is a relatively small City, there must be hundreds of mostly young to middle aged people who either need help in bigger cities, but are not prepared to accept, or those who are not aware that they actually need it.

I'll post this one again. It's me about 5 years ago when I was down on ma heels, I'm the twat in the hat with a funny coloured goatee

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKk-Ple8E9I

Don’t forget it’s also all the fault of the Tory’s, no one else’s.

Well homelessness is up 169% since they took power in 2010, so there is that."

That is right

You know the little coffee bean stickers on the sides of mc donalds coffee cups... well i collect them. Loads of them. Not saying i eat mc donalds all the time but virtually everyone throws thier cup away. I even get all the cups from the disposal bit now they are stacked inside ! and remove all the stickers and put them on the collector cards and give them out to the homeless in the street. Tell them to het the stickers too, so they can at least get a warm drink. Its bloody cold at night you know

By *lexa999Woman  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I've not long got home from my volunteer shift at a winter night shelter in my home town.

I'm in awe of some of the comments in this thread. Yes there is an increase in homelessness across the UK, and many towns and cities do have schemes to assist them.

However there are a lot of people who do not want the interference in their lives, no matter how much the do gooders try.

The charity I volunteer with had two venues open with up to 15 beds in each. And tonight only 6 places were filled at each one.

The guests I see in the night shelter come from all walks of life, old,young,local or from overseas. Some even have jobs but still cannot afford a roof over their heads. It's a real mixed bunch yet all, are some of the nicest, honest and genuine people I've ever met.

I have lived there for decades and it was on the news this week."

It was in the news that it was caused by the tories? Bollocks it was, unless you read the guardian. The increase is because of massive Labour overspending, a never ending cycle when the conservatives have to try and reduce the national debt as for some bizarre reason left wingers and Labour Party members are incapable of understanding basic economics. I.e you can't spend what you haven't got.

As for homelessness, most could be OK if they were willing to conform to curfews and getting in on time and giving up their drugs.

Obviously there are way too hig a number of real unfortunates, but also huge numbers out of choice and stubbornness.

By *3xyCoupleCouple  over a year ago

swingers town

I have worked with plenty of charities in the backend and still do. Really sad to say but government and the big boys in the charity sector see it as a business.

Theres a voice keeps on calling me

It was in the news that it was caused by the tories? Bollocks it was, unless you read the guardian. The increase is because of massive Labour overspending, a never ending cycle when the conservatives have to try and reduce the national debt as for some bizarre reason left wingers and Labour Party members are incapable of understanding basic economics. I.e you can't spend what you haven't got.

As for homelessness, most could be OK if they were willing to conform to curfews and getting in on time and giving up their drugs.

Obviously there are way too hig a number of real unfortunates, but also huge numbers out of choice and stubbornness. "

No offence, but that's willfully ignorant on all counts.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

There was a veteran near us living rough, not sure of his circumstances of why he is homeless. He stays local to watch his daughter play at school, a local copper always buys him a chippy meal when he is on a late shift.

By *rumcouple2013Couple  over a year ago

Tamworth

I (Mr Brum) am training to be a barber. For the last two weekends I have gone to homeless shelters and spent three or so hours cutting their hair and giving them a shave. All were very grateful.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I (Mr Brum) am training to be a barber. For the last two weekends I have gone to homeless shelters and spent three or so hours cutting their hair and giving them a shave. All were very grateful. "

that's a very good thing to do.

By *rumcouple2013Couple  over a year ago

Tamworth

"I (Mr Brum) am training to be a barber. For the last two weekends I have gone to homeless shelters and spent three or so hours cutting their hair and giving them a shave. All were very grateful.

that's a very good thing to do. "

Thank you.

Even took my two small children to the second one to help hand out food. Did them good to see how lucky they are.

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

While there is a on going homeless issue and the the use of food banks. The cuts in welfare system and i for one see more people signing on than signing off. When i attend.

As anyone actually stopped and wondered were the money cut from people as actually gone cause its not going to much needed other public services nhs police kinda thing.

"While there is a on going homeless issue and the the use of food banks. The cuts in welfare system and i for one see more people signing on than signing off. When i attend.

As anyone actually stopped and wondered were the money cut from people as actually gone cause its not going to much needed other public services nhs police kinda thing. "

No doubt someone will come along and say cleaning up the mess left by labour

Not to mention the likes of the DUP

Obviously there are way too hig a number of real unfortunates, but also huge numbers out of choice and stubbornness.

No offence, but that's willfully ignorant on all counts."

Based on what personal experience? Ah what your leftie friends and media told you, well of course it's true then

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

nothing to do with tories. all about the county cares more about immigrants than british people.

i can tell you hundreds of storys about what non british can claim

No offence, but that's willfully ignorant on all counts.

Based on what personal experience? Ah what your leftie friends and media told you, well of course it's true then "

Well, I've gained a bit of an insight from almost 15 years working with the homeless. You?

Apparently we never had homeless people before the conservative government got in

By *ickygirl41Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Very bad problem here in rotherham,sheffield and doncaster with so many sleeping in doorways and bustops.i cant get my head round the council will ignore them and let them suffer yet if they sailed accross the sea in a boat they would be fed and shelterd. "

Hahaha, that's a big ol' pile of racism there.

Homelessness isn't caused by immigrants or asylum seekers.

There are folk in doorways in my town every day. Mainly drug addicts that have a home and are just after drug money.

Its hard to spot the genuine homeless and years ago a guy was killed sleeping in a recycle bin by our work. Cannot imagine his last moments.

There has always been food for those in dire need. The food bank culture is on the increase but are the right people benefiting from them. If you have a 64" tv at home and a mortgage why are you asking for food?????

[Removed by poster at 23/12/18 00:21:59]

"There are folk in doorways in my town every day. Mainly drug addicts that have a home and are just after drug money.

Its hard to spot the genuine homeless and years ago a guy was killed sleeping in a recycle bin by our work. Cannot imagine his last moments.

There has always been food for those in dire need. The food bank culture is on the increase but are the right people benefiting from them. If you have a 64" tv at home and a mortgage why are you asking for food?????"

Maybe the up is taking all their money up and there's feck all left for food..And after a hard day's work why the fuck should they not relax to watch decent tv?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"There are folk in doorways in my town every day. Mainly drug addicts that have a home and are just after drug money.

There has always been food for those in dire need. The food bank culture is on the increase but are the right people benefiting from them. If you have a 64" tv at home and a mortgage why are you asking for food?????"

What percentage of people using food banks have 64"tvs, what size of tv is acceptable for food bank users to own? Why shouldn't people with mortgages use food banks?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

good news. both our homeless men have somewhere to go christmas day

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"good news. both our homeless men have somewhere to go christmas day"

Good

There has always been food for those in dire need. The food bank culture is on the increase but are the right people benefiting from them. If you have a 64" tv at home and a mortgage why are you asking for food?????

What percentage of people using food banks have 64"tvs, what size of tv is acceptable for food bank users to own? Why shouldn't people with mortgages use food banks?"

It used to be the same old thing years back....they all claim poverty but have sky dishes..how dare they

Forum Mod

East Sussex

What percentage of people using food banks have 64"tvs, what size of tv is acceptable for food bank users to own? Why shouldn't people with mortgages use food banks?

It used to be the same old thing years back....they all claim poverty but have sky dishes..how dare they"

I think it's very easy to forget that good people can fall on hard times even temporarily.

It used to be the same old thing years back....they all claim poverty but have sky dishes..how dare they

I think it's very easy to forget that good people can fall on hard times even temporarily. "

Been there and bought the t shirt...moved on now but the compassion will always remain

By *ingle Dad SeekingMan  over a year ago

Northern England

I find that these threads make for excellent filters.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think it's very easy to forget that good people can fall on hard times even temporarily.

Been there and bought the t shirt...moved on now but the compassion will always remain "

Yes, us too. We never had to use food banks, I don't think they existed then, but we did have some very tough times.

I believe that the system works against guys, leaving the wife and children in the family home. Understandably I agree, but find the guys somewhere to live with dignity.

Homelessness should not exist in our society. Foodbanks should not exist either. People in our country should have enough food to eat.

Been there and bought the t shirt...moved on now but the compassion will always remain

Yes, us too. We never had to use food banks, I don't think they existed then, but we did have some very tough times. "

That's key to it...never forget where you have been and how easy it was to get there through no fault of your own.

By *ickygirl41Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I find that these threads make for excellent filters. "

Don't they just

» Add a new message to this topic