FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Would you...

Would you...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Would you return a gift bought for you if the person that bought it for you removed themselves from your life?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uriousgeorge82Man  over a year ago

exmouth

"Would you return a gift bought for you if the person that bought it for you removed themselves from your life? "

Depends what it was i guess lol

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Would you return a gift bought for you if the person that bought it for you removed themselves from your life? "

It depends, I keep things on the manner in which they were given me but if the gift was a painful reminder I might

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

It would depend what it was. Give us a clue what it is.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Hmm. Return to the giver do you mean? It would depend what it was and why/how they removed themselves from my life. And how much I liked the gift

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No it's mine, I wouldnt dream of trying to claim back the gifts I have given

By *he Mac LassWoman  over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

No. I’d be highly offended if something I’d given was returned to me in the same circumstances.

[Removed by poster at 13/12/18 22:25:11]

No mine

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

It would be very much dependant on if I liked the gift in question.

If yes, then no

Depends on what it is and the manner the relationship ended. No solid answer without details of circumstance.

Depends if they asked for it back. And then on a case by case basis depending on what it was.

The default answer would be no. It’s been gifted, it’s mine. The exceptions would be where I didn’t WANT it any more, for whatever reason, or if it’s a family heirloom or something of sentimental value to them and not me.

I can’t think of any scenario where I’d be petty and not return it if that was the case.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Do you mean return it to the shop or return it to the person?

I wouldn't return it to the person, too much drama.

I might charity shop it though if it was too painful to keep.

But if I really liked it then no, fuck that, I'm keeping it.

To clarify; my query is erring on the side of not feeling comfortable with keeping a lovely gift from someone if they no longer liked me, it just makes me feel sad.

Onestepoutofthedoor

I gave my ex husband my wedding and engagement ring back after 14 year's of marriage,but I removed him from my life so that's different.

"Would you return a gift bought for you if the person that bought it for you removed themselves from your life?

Do you mean return it to the shop or return it to the person?

I wouldn't return it to the person, too much drama.

I might charity shop it though if it was too painful to keep.

But if I really liked it then no, fuck that, I'm keeping it."

To the person, I had meant.

yes. life moves on

Onestepoutofthedoor

"To clarify; my query is erring on the side of not feeling comfortable with keeping a lovely gift from someone if they no longer liked me, it just makes me feel sad."

Then give it back and wash that sadness away.

Depends . If it was cheap I'd give it back . If it was expensive it would be on eBay quicker then a tramp on chips

Don’t you dare!

We searched everywhere for that flashing reindeer tail butt plug.

Isn’t the ever enduring pain of you rejecting us punishment enough??

Nah.

Flog it on ebay

Hefty Hideaway

"To clarify; my query is erring on the side of not feeling comfortable with keeping a lovely gift from someone if they no longer liked me, it just makes me feel sad."

If I felt someone disliked me enough to remove themselves from my life, I absolutely wouldn’t initiate contact by passive aggressively returning a gift. Bit of a dick move in my opinion. If they asked for it back I’d return it.

"To clarify; my query is erring on the side of not feeling comfortable with keeping a lovely gift from someone if they no longer liked me, it just makes me feel sad.

If I felt someone disliked me enough to remove themselves from my life, I absolutely wouldn’t initiate contact by passive aggressively returning a gift. Bit of a dick move in my opinion. If they asked for it back I’d return it. "

That’s a good point, thank you.

Hefty Hideaway

"To clarify; my query is erring on the side of not feeling comfortable with keeping a lovely gift from someone if they no longer liked me, it just makes me feel sad.

If I felt someone disliked me enough to remove themselves from my life, I absolutely wouldn’t initiate contact by passive aggressively returning a gift. Bit of a dick move in my opinion. If they asked for it back I’d return it.

That’s a good point, thank you."

It’ll be alright. I’ll stroke your hair. Hide the gift so it doesn’t trouble you.

Think best policy would be to let sleeping dogs lie but then just our opinion

If they had removed themselves from my life then I wouldn't get in touch just to return a gift. It's opening up old wounds for the sake of something that can be dealt with easier.

If I was 100% that things were done between us then I would sell it or give it to charity. If there was a chance they would be back in touch and I would want that then I would put it in a box somewhere and forget it for now.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Yes

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

Well if it was a dog or a cat or something living , I’d probably keep it as I wouldn’t want to see the animal possibly suffer because two people can’t get on .

If it was something else , like a flat or a car , I’d probably keep them too .

But something personal , no , so a ring or a piece of jewelry I would give it back .

No I wouldn't return it.

I'd either bin it, put it somewhere out of sight, or give it to charity. Which of the above would depend on how I felt about the person.

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

You should keep it in the spirit that it was given to you. I’ve been on both sides of this one, and if the person wants it back, they’ll let you know. Just because someone has ceased contact, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they think ill of you.

That would be a childish reaction plus it would mean that by returning the gift you try to get a reaction from the other person because you can't handle the fact that person remove hersekf/himself from your life.

So no I wouldn't. If it is a lovely I would keep it. If it has no use or it is not connected emotionally to me, I would throw it

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I think that returning the gift could cause upset so I don’t think I would return it. If it was upsetting me to keep it then I would part with it in whatever way, but I still wouldn’t give it back to the person.

Heavens no . The gift was given at a moment in time when it was special to you both .

I do have some things some one bought me , when things became let's say messy . I put them away not wanting to look at them as they brought back sharp memories .

Now I can because I just Remeber the good things .

If it was expensive and I didn’t like it hell yeah or upcycle it for someone’s b day

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

"[Removed by poster at 13/12/18 22:25:11]"
was this my gift

By *vcarolTV/TS  over a year ago

kilmarnockish

Option 1- keep and put away to remind you of happier times

Option 2 - give it to someone that could use it better, have no regrets

Option 3- a well known auction site beginning with E.

Don’t regret or look back, think of the future...

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

They gave it to you at a good time. Focus on that rather than the bad point.

If you can't, get rid of it.

Experience tells me you'd regret it later.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Sell it if it makes you feel bad.

Then use proceeds to buy something to make you feel good.

yes unless it's diamonds they're forever

What an odd question.

Have a ritual burning/burial and put your relationship to rest (not if it's a puppy or goldfish though).

"Have a ritual burning/burial and put your relationship to rest (not if it's a puppy or goldfish though)."
awwwww it's a puppy

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Would you return a gift bought for you if the person that bought it for you removed themselves from your life?

What an odd question."

Not really, some people attach meaning and emotion to things

I wouldn't give it back to the person but would give to someone else, a charity shop, or if expensive would sell it

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

If there's no 'sentimental' value to it then at the end of the day it's just an object. So keep it.

If it's an engraved/personalised item of jewelry/chopping board/butt plug that says "eternally yours, your special shnookums"........then maybe get the sandpaper out and flog it on ebay.

If it's a commissioned painting or bespoke photo album of the two of you getting jiggy......bonfire time.

A

What an odd question.

Not really, some people attach meaning and emotion to things"

I didn't imply otherwise.

Aberdeenshire

Do you want to expand on what’s odd about it, then?

Gloucester

What an odd question.

Not really, some people attach meaning and emotion to things"

Wouldn’t that make it easier to make the decision as to whether you wanted to keep it though ?

Aberdeenshire

"Wouldn’t that make it easier to make the decision as to whether you wanted to keep it though ?"

I wouldn’t say so, no. If an item has no sentimental value, it’s just down to whether you want/need it. But that sentimental value could contain a complicated cocktail of good and bad feelings. Weighing those up is difficult. Will you always feel this way about it? Will your feelings get better or worse? Will this item help or hinder that process?

I wouldn't give it back to the person but would give to someone else, a charity shop, or if expensive would sell it"

This.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Depends what it was, for example if it was an expensive piece of jewellery is keep it and possibly sell it at some point. Anything else Is put it in the black bin and forget about it/them. I wouldn't make contact to see if they wanted it back.

If one of your friends asked you the question you posed, how would you respond to them? That’s your answer.

Gloucester

"Wouldn’t that make it easier to make the decision as to whether you wanted to keep it though ?

I wouldn’t say so, no. If an item has no sentimental value, it’s just down to whether you want/need it. But that sentimental value could contain a complicated cocktail of good and bad feelings. Weighing those up is difficult. Will you always feel this way about it? Will your feelings get better or worse? Will this item help or hinder that process?"

Any good feelings it may have would surely be negated by the fact that the giver no longer wants to be a part of the receivers life though . So even if the cocktail contains good memories , they aren’t going to be truly good are they ?

I don’t think feelings are likely to get better with the gift constantly there to remind you of what was once there but no longer is , and thereby it’s hard to see how it can only hinder the process of getting over it .

It’s good to see you back in the forum by the way

"No. I’d be highly offended if something I’d given was returned to me in the same circumstances. "

Same here

Gloucester

"No. I’d be highly offended if something I’d given was returned to me in the same circumstances.

Same here "

If you had removed yourself from that persons life , I can understand you would be upset , but offended ? Why be offended when you chose to remove yourself from their life ? Perhaps they return it to remind you that they must have meant something to you at some point .

Aberdeenshire

"Any good feelings it may have would surely be negated by the fact that the giver no longer wants to be a part of the receivers life though . So even if the cocktail contains good memories , they aren’t going to be truly good are they ? "

That involves a lot of assumptions. Does the OP know the gift-giver’s thoughts and feelings about this? Do you?

"I don’t think feelings are likely to get better with the gift constantly there to remind you of what was once there but no longer is , and thereby it’s hard to see how it can only hinder the process of getting over it ."

Again, that’s a massive assumption. It could be put to one side, for the time being, and brought back out when OP feels better about it. If she gives/throws it away, she doesn’t have that option later. It’s like grief; the things that are painful reminders early on are precious keepsakes that we would not want to relinquish later.

"It’s good to see you back in the forum by the way "

I’d say thanks if I thought you meant it.

"No. I’d be highly offended if something I’d given was returned to me in the same circumstances.

Same here

If you had removed yourself from that persons life , I can understand you would be upset , but offended ? Why be offended when you chose to remove yourself from their life ? Perhaps they return it to remind you that they must have meant something to you at some point . "

That would depend on why they removed themselves.

It's just a gift. Send it back, throw it away or donate it. Either way it will make no difference to the giver.

Gloucester

"Any good feelings it may have would surely be negated by the fact that the giver no longer wants to be a part of the receivers life though . So even if the cocktail contains good memories , they aren’t going to be truly good are they ?

That involves a lot of assumptions. Does the OP know the gift-giver’s thoughts and feelings about this? Do you?

I don’t think feelings are likely to get better with the gift constantly there to remind you of what was once there but no longer is , and thereby it’s hard to see how it can only hinder the process of getting over it .

Again, that’s a massive assumption. It could be put to one side, for the time being, and brought back out when OP feels better about it. If she gives/throws it away, she doesn’t have that option later. It’s like grief; the things that are painful reminders early on are precious keepsakes that we would not want to relinquish later.

It’s good to see you back in the forum by the way

I’d say thanks if I thought you meant it."

Ah , but you’re assuming I don’t mean it , perhaps I do

Aberdeenshire

"It's just a gift. Send it back, throw it away or donate it. Either way it will make no difference to the giver."

You don’t know that.

Does the gift come from someone who posted on this thread by any chance ?

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Chuck it. Or have a ceremonial burning - New Year's Eve is coming up and it's a perfect time to do it.

"It's just a gift. Send it back, throw it away or donate it. Either way it will make no difference to the giver.

You don’t know that."

He's ditched her, why would he care?

You could put it at the back of a cupboard and forget about it and them.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

Kinda depends on the gift... If it was something of value or special significance... Yeah probably. Otherwise... Well.... I'm not going to make and effort to track you down to return the Bic lighter you left at mine several weeks ago

Depends on the gift and reason for lingering negative associations.

If I wanted nothing to do with the association then I wouldn't return to the person, charity shop would be best.

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

"..a tramp on chips "

Never heard that expression

In a town Fab forgot

"It's just a gift. Send it back, throw it away or donate it. Either way it will make no difference to the giver.

You don’t know that.

He's ditched her, why would he care?"

Even if he did care, tough crap, he ditched her.

No, a gift is a gift and I wouldn't expect one to be returned in the opposite scenario x

I would keep it and feel a mini victory.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

If they have removed themselves from your life how do you return it....

Ok sorry.....cheap response.

Why return something thst was freely given because the circumstances/relationship may have changed.

It will always be a reminder....of something

What would you do or think if the person sent you a further gift whilst still unreconciled?

What would that make you think and feel?

"What would you do or think if the person sent you a further gift whilst still unreconciled?

What would that make you think and feel?"

I would think they were either feeling guilty, or playing silly games. That's assuming they were the ones who broke up the relationship.

"What would you do or think if the person sent you a further gift whilst still unreconciled?

I would think they were either feeling guilty, or playing silly games. That's assuming they were the ones who broke up the relationship. "

They were.

By *bonynivoryCouple  over a year ago

market harborough

Depending on the type of person they are. Either trying to make amends or being manipulative. Also depends on the gift.

Mrs

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

As others have said, I would assume they wanted to reconcile or were playing mind games. Can you ask them what their motives are?

Offering an olive branch?

I would think they were either feeling guilty, or playing silly games. That's assuming they were the ones who broke up the relationship.

They were."

I would think a guilty conscience and trying to say sorry for hurting you.

Aberdeenshire

"Offering an olive branch?"

First instinct.

In the OP you said the person that bought it for you removed themselves from your life. Did they just end the friendship or did they do something that made the friendship unsustainable?

Gloucester

They were."

I would think that anyone who messes with your head and emotions like that isn’t worth your time .

It’s difficult to comment with authority without proper context and to know all the background and history to them removing themselves from your life in the first place.

The fact that they are now giving a gift suggests that (maybe!?) they hadn’t necessarily actually removed themselves from your life but it had been interpreted that way.

Or they’re seeking a reconciliation.

Or they’re just doing a bit of a mind fuck thing.

Or it might make me feel simply that it’s Christmas, a time traditionally for the giving and receiving of gifts between acquaintances with no ulterior sub-plot.

Without the full context, it’s all speculation I guess.

They were."

“Removed themselves from the friendship”, worth clarifying this was not a formalised *romantic* relationship, not that that negates romantic or otherwise feelings or places hierarchy on importance of the “-ship”, for obviously relationships don’t have to be normatively romantic but the terminology “broke up a relationship” may be viewed solely as such. Not that romantic relationships have exclusive rights on headfucking and depth of feelings anyway. But, you know, it’s important to be clear.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

That perhaps they were trying to send a message and may not be sure how it is received?

Ice breaker? Apology? That they still care enough to think of sending a gift,and hope for a response?

[Removed by poster at 20/12/18 04:57:51]

Onestepoutofthedoor

Where has she gone?

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Where has she gone?"

Who was it?

"Where has she gone?

Who was it? "

Estella.

Yes. Have done. Quite literally left everything they had ever bought me in a black bin liner at the door as I walk out of the flat we shared and walked out of her life. Pre mobile ghosting!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Where has she gone?

Who was it?

Estella. "

Crikey, not again The original Yo-Yo

In a town Fab forgot

"Where has she gone?

Who was it?

Estella.

Crikey, not again The original Yo-Yo "

She'll be back

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I liked Estella

In a town Fab forgot

"I liked Estella"

Me too, one of my favourite posters.

I'd like to know who upset her.

Hope she gets her shizzle together and comes back refreshed.

If you're reading this, have a good crimbly.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

She pops on and off, I'm sure she'll be back when life gets quiet, it's a busy time of year.

If you’re reading this Estella have a lovely Christmas x

hope you're OK lovely

Xx

» Add a new message to this topic