FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Depression

Depression

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Here goes

Right I work by myself have done for 10 years now and it's starting to really get me down. I have loads of work never out of it but it's lonely all day everyday on your own.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Here goes

Right I work by myself have done for 10 years now and it's starting to really get me down. I have loads of work never out of it but it's lonely all day everyday on your own. "

Can. You hire anyone?

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Your a workman you say?

There’s a gorgeous lady on another thread on here at the moment just waiting for one of you (who has failed to turn up for the job).

I should play Cupid here

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"Here goes

Right I work by myself have done for 10 years now and it's starting to really get me down. I have loads of work never out of it but it's lonely all day everyday on your own. "

Yes I get that it must be lonely working on your own day in and day out.

I moan about our office but some days it's the people rather than the job that keeps me going.

If you’ve got loads of work, why don’t you get a labourer to keep you company and help you out OP?

"Here goes

Right I work by myself have done for 10 years now and it's starting to really get me down. I have loads of work never out of it but it's lonely all day everyday on your own.

Yes I get that it must be lonely working on your own day in and day out.

I moan about our office but some days it's the people rather than the job that keeps me going."

agreed.

Sorry to hear that OP, can you do anything to change the situation? Can you freelance in a bigger team? Or join some out of work social groups so at least you have lots of interaction outside of tour core working hours.

I can appreciate how you feel and hope you get some decent options to help you out of feeling this way x

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"If you’ve got loads of work, why don’t you get a labourer to keep you company and help you out OP? "

Agree,worth considering, need to look at your work/life balance.

Great having lots of work, not great if you're miserable.

Why don't you start an apprentice?

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

I was lone working on the nightshift for years. Hardly saw a soul during the day as everyone worked. Much happier now im back with a team as i have folk to chat with.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Here goes

Me too, so I'm quitting. Start looking for other stuff where you can work with other people as well. I started volunteering and working at festivals a couple of years back and I'm having a whale of a time doing it and making some great like-minded friends, can't wait for next year.

By *hite1100Man  over a year ago

Hither Green

"Here goes

If you think you’re depressed, you should go to the docs, speak to your support network etc. Don’t remain silent and withdraw into yourself, and don’t self medicate.

Depression is a massive, massive issue, especially amongst men.

The fact you’ve posted about it on here means you should be speaking to the Dr. .

All the best with it.

"Here goes

If you think you’re depressed, you should go to the docs, speak to your support network etc. Don’t remain silent and withdraw into yourself, and don’t self medicate.

The fact you’ve posted about it on here means you should be speaking to the Dr. .

All the best with it. "

100%

I've had people work with me but they ain't up to my standards and really unreliable. I find it hard to motivate myself now

I’m in exactly the same situation all day alone in my office and the depression is causing me to withdraw and get behind with my work coz I just can’t face it. End up on here all day just looking for someone to chat to me!

"Here goes

All the best with it. "

This as well

"I’m in exactly the same situation all day alone in my office and the depression is causing me to withdraw and get behind with my work coz I just can’t face it. End up on here all day just looking for someone to chat to me!"

Same with you.... Go speak to a professional and get help if you feel like you're depressed x

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

As a wise man said to me once,

"You work to live,not live to work".

As a trade plate drive and TV extra, it gives me loads of time to socialize and have some fun.

"I’m in exactly the same situation all day alone in my office and the depression is causing me to withdraw and get behind with my work coz I just can’t face it. End up on here all day just looking for someone to chat to me!"
I find myself doing the same

Sorry you’re feeling this way OP. Perhaps exploring things like taking on an apprentice or reducing / changing your working hours might help. You could try, as someone else has suggested, joining some social groups or networks to give you people to connect with. Hopefully you can find something which starts to alleviate the problems you’re having at the moment.

In the meantime please make sure you look after yourself, eat and sleep well etc, as it will help you to cope with your low mood. And do visit your GP to seek support while you figure things out, as you may benefit from a talking therapy or some medication to help you for a while.

Hope you feel better soon and well done for speaking out x

Bad kitty thanks for your kind words

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

"I've had people work with me but they ain't up to my standards and really unreliable. I find it hard to motivate myself now "

If they are not up to your standards why not train them to your way of working. Give someone young a chance to learn your trade alongside you.

It might be a challenge that helps your new trainee and gives you a boost that you are doing something more than just working...

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

I have worked on my own for 20years only with the odd customer with me. For me I much prefer it that way as not overly social.

I just miss the work banter and in my trade its repetitive so makes me more depressed

it can work both ways. Worked for years in an office and ended up leaving to start on my own as couldnt handle all the office politics bollox that go on. Been on my own for about 11 years now has ups and downs but mainly ups as my own boss. I know how you feel though. I've got depression and anxiety issues ive had councilling a few times and also been placed on a suicide watch i got that low!! this time of year as a lone worker can be shite coz of the weather and its dark early but i tend to enjoy my own company now. It gives me time to think, sometimes not a good thing but the majority it is....

keep your chin up mate, us men dont talk enough but i have now realised that and my councilling seesions deffo helped so maybe look there for some help and advise

Cheers mate and hope your ok

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Here goes

been there done that ended up on anti depressants

I don't want to take tablets I don't even take paracetamol

"I don't want to take tablets I don't even take paracetamol"

It’s possible you wouldn’t need medication so don’t let that put you off speaking to your GP. Lots of people find talking therapies and coping strategies are enough, coupled with self care

i've taken them all mate spoke to doctor about 2 months ago and took myself off them as theres a lot of stigma attached and touch wood ive only had a couple of bad day. I'd deffo speak to your doctor they are trained and can talk you through the options

...Up on the Downs

"I don't want to take tablets I don't even take paracetamol"

How about herbs? I can't recommend St John's Wort highly enough, it really helped me through some difficult times.

What are they

I've done anti depressants and other pills.

Acciedent and crisis/neurology department/life coach

I don't take meds anymore because I adjusted in other ways.

Your best off going to your gp every 2 weeks and making regular appointments with local services.

Most people Report the problem 1 time but don't persue mental health services enough.

You won't get to the route of your depression unless you consult doctors and pester the NHS (because untill recently they ignored mental health)

They are not eager to see you or diagnose you or treat you unless you go full snowflake on them.

Other advice:

Don't drink

Don't do

Exercise propperly 1 hour per day minimum

Go to bed before midnight wake up before 9

Don't do wierd shift patterns/long hours

do you like music ? get headphones and jib into your mobile and listen to tunes as you work

stop reading newspapers and watching the news on the TV as bad news day in day out every single day eventually trains the brain to be depressed....

go for a couple of pints in the evening and have a crackin the pub with the lads.

you gotta work at it fella

Depression has made me really sad today, not my own depression. I wish you well, OP.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Here goes

Would it be possible for you to take a dog to work for company?

...Up on the Downs

"What are they "

They're just a herbal anti-depressant, widely prescribed for mild to moderate depression on the Continent...damn helpful when you give up smoking I discovered too!

"Here goes

Would it be possible for you to take a dog to work for company? "

not picking dog shit up at work

"What are they

They're just a herbal anti-depressant, widely prescribed for mild to moderate depression on the Continent...damn helpful when you give up smoking I discovered too! "

will look into it

Morning people thanks for everyone's comments yesterday I'm going to stay of today and relax think through a few things

Hope you’ve had a good day OP

"Here goes

Isolation can impact upon mental health. With my elderly neighbour i often spend abit of time having a chin wag. I know some days I'm going to be the only person he will interact with that day

"Here goes

Well try not to over think thats the most unhealthy thing to do mate.

Thank good it's Friday have the weekend to myself to reflect and see what I need to change to have more of a positive life ahead

"Here goes

at least you have work.... After recently finishing the best job I've had was contracted as a 6 month apprenticeship as a marine engineer, when it started they promised the world, lied through their teeth that 99% go on to find further guaranteed work within the port.... I didn't want to be unemployed it's the last thing I wanted just before Christmas.... Back to square one with depression

buy a book called "positive thinking " by gill hasson........

infact everyone buy it .......google it.

I can understand this. I moved from a busy city centre office with a lot of in person visits from clients to a role were for at least half of my day is spent on my own either in office and car.

The staff team went down from 50+ to six, and i miss the interactions. I also miss the sounding boards, i have responsibility to make decisions now though miss shooting ideas without it being my boss the only person around.

"Here goes

The best thing is you're talking. There are people that will listen. Don't close yourself in. And you can be lonely even in the most busy of situations but your happy medium will be somewhere. Don't ever give up as you're a long time dead, so party where you can and reflect when you need to

i done 3 years at a company that had me isolated from everyone else, i was in a small room with no windows and the door had to be kept shut, i was left out of most things when it came to meetings etc, depression kicked in after about 6 months, took me another two and a half years to get another job, if i’d have stayed any longer i’d have probably topped myself

As someone who suffered with depression for almost 5 years I would say that, whilst going to see your doctor is certainly advisable in the short term, you need to really look at the cause.

Anti-depressants aren't a cure, and you really don't want to rely on them. Especially considering some of the side effects - one of which is, get this, depression.

You really need to figure out exactly what is causing you to feel down and do something about changing it.

Good luck

Thanks for all the kind words

» Add a new message to this topic