FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > White poppies.

White poppies.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man  over a year ago

salisbury

Where does the money go?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Google it. All is explained. Not for me.

Always red

By *hubnwife_36dd_ukCouple  over a year ago

chester

"Google it. All is explained. Not for me.

Always red "

Same here

"Google it. All is explained. Not for me.

Always red "

Absolutely.

You can get purple ones too.

For all the animals lost in battle.

salisbury

"You can get purple ones too.

For all the animals lost in battle. "

I appreciate that. I think it's so sad that donkeys etc that were used in both wars, were left behind for the locals to abuse for the rest of their long lives.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

For all the animals lost in battle. "

I would wear a purple one. Where do you get those from?

salisbury

For all the animals lost in battle.

I would wear a purple one. Where do you get those from?

"

Pm'd you.

By *tirluvMan  over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

It's a con -all the poppies they sell on the street are fake -I've had one for close on a decade and it still won't bloody die

"It's a con -all the poppies they sell on the street are fake -I've had one for close on a decade and it still won't bloody die"

It's another example of people trying to hijack a significant day.

The red poppy doesn't glorify or promote war, it's remembering those who lost their lives from all walks.

The white poppy promotes pacifism, a great ideal but maybe promote it on another day?

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Always red.

Not to glorify war, but to remember those that paid the ultimate price, for others to keep their freedom.

"Always red.

Not to glorify war, but to remember those that paid the ultimate price, for others to keep their freedom. "

Always red for us to remember them all, troops, civilians, and animals.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I didn't know about purple ones, id like that.

Red every day. Plus that money actually goes to support the people it helps to remember

C

By *eorge n DragonCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire

" It's another example of people trying to hijack a significant day.

The red poppy doesn't glorify or promote war, it's remembering those who lost their lives from all walks.

The white poppy promotes pacifism, a great ideal but maybe promote it on another day?"

Completly agree. Choose another day.

We both come from military families and will always wear red. Would consider wearing a white one on a differant day.

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Wearing a poppy is an act of remembrance not any thing to do with glorying war of conflict

Wear Red, White or Purply it doesn’t really matter you are acknowledging the suffering and loss of human conflict

To complain about the colour seeks to create divisions. It’s divisions that lead to conflict we really need to learn from history...

Remembrance not colour matters.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"It's a con -all the poppies they sell on the street are fake -I've had one for close on a decade and it still won't bloody die

"

x2

"Wearing a poppy is an act of remembrance not any thing to do with glorying war of conflict

Wear Red, White or Purply it doesn’t really matter you are acknowledging the suffering and loss of human conflict

To complain about the colour seeks to create divisions. It’s divisions that lead to conflict we really need to learn from history...

Remembrance not colour matters."

Maybe creating another colour is the division?

"It's a con -all the poppies they sell on the street are fake -I've had one for close on a decade and it still won't bloody die"

Haha

"Wearing a poppy is an act of remembrance not any thing to do with glorying war of conflict

Maybe creating another colour is the division? "

White poppies have been around since 1933 and were created by the Peace Pledge Union, so have been in existence for almost as long as red poppies..its not a new thing

How about wearing

The Poppy for UK, ANZAC and US

The Cornflower for the French

The Forget-Me-Not for the Germans and their allies

There was loss and sacrifice on all sides.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"How about wearing

"

Mmmn not to mention of all the people from the colonies who fought....in both World Wars but remain largely invisible in the history books.

What do you suggest for them, a black poppy?....

I wear both a red and a white poppy and have done for over 30 years ...

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Didn’t know about the white or purple ones, feel they should chose a different day than 11/11 though.

Maybe we should have a snowflake shaped one for all the people who are offended. According to the papers there are people offended by poppies although I've never met one or come across anyone.

[Removed by poster at 25/10/18 10:54:42]

"How about wearing

Mmmn not to mention of all the people from the colonies who fought....in both World Wars but remain largely invisible in the history books.

What do you suggest for them, a black poppy?...."

ANZAC covers that....

Australia

New Zealand

And

Commonwealth

"Didn’t know about the white or purple ones, feel they should chose a different day than 11/11 though."

The white poppies are usually worn in the 2 weeks before Remembrance Sunday ..no idea about the purple ones

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

Maybe creating another colour is the division?

White poppies have been around since 1933 and were created by the Peace Pledge Union, so have been in existence for almost as long as red poppies..its not a new thing"

Wow I didn’t realise that they had been around since before the Second World War !

Nothing wrong with white poppies , nor red or purple come to that . I guess it won’t be long before we have rainbow poppies too ( ) .

Wars have been around as long as humans have . Different poppies have different meanings , but broadly speaking they all ask us to remember those who died , who got hurt , and who fought in wars . Some raise money for those who got injured , and help the families of those who passed .

The white poppy remembers all wars , all people from all races , civilians etc.... and ultimately hopes we may see peace some day . Fat chance of that in our lifetime , if ever . But admirable qualities .

The more we see division , the more conflict we will see . Religion , geography , ownership , borders and so on create division . Different poppies create division . A typical human trait and one that’s always going to upset someone .

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"How about wearing

What do you suggest for them, a black poppy?....

ANZAC covers that....

Australia

New Zealand

And

Commonwealth "

Uh, no. Australia and New Zealand Army Corps

salisbury

"How about wearing

What do you suggest for them, a black poppy?...."

The red poppy is for them.

I always chuck a quid in the box but don't wear the poppy.

By *good-being-badMan  over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

I wear a red poppy. Other folk can choose a different colour to wear if they wish.

Chances are without the sacrifices of many from many different nations they'd not have the freedom to choose.

" It's another example of people trying to hijack a significant day.

The white poppy promotes pacifism, a great ideal but maybe promote it on another day?"

Agreed

Always a Red Poppy

Lest We Forget

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

"I wear a red poppy. Other folk can choose a different colour to wear if they wish.

Chances are without the sacrifices of many from many different nations they'd not have the freedom to choose."

Absolutely right

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Wear what colour you like but we won't be wearing them nor will the veteran Harry Leslie Smith for the same reasons

'I will no longer allow my obligation as a veteran to remember those who died in the great wars to be co-opted by current or former politicians to justify our folly in Iraq, our morally dubious war on terror and our elimination of one's right to privacy.'

Poppy-wearing, especially by public officials, has come to be associated with the corruption and deceptiveness of behavioural politics. It is offensive to me that members of the British administration who wear poppies have at the same time sent young men and women to fight and die in futile wars. Shrouded in the powerful narrative of righteous heroism, the poppy of remembrance has sadly been hijacked by an establishment dedicated to glorifying nationalistic wars; it has become a kind of camouflage for the egotistical military interests of successive governments.

But carry on believing the propaganda machine if you must.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I won’t forget those that sacrificed just because of the hierarchy that sent them to their deaths. People followed orders and they died. It is for them that I wear my poppy with pride.

"Wear what colour you like but we won't be wearing them nor will the veteran Harry Leslie Smith for the same reasons

'I will no longer allow my obligation as a veteran to remember those who died in the great wars to be co-opted by current or former politicians to justify our folly in Iraq, our morally dubious war on terror and our elimination of one's right to privacy.'

Poppy-wearing, especially by public officials, has come to be associated with the corruption and deceptiveness of behavioural politics. It is offensive to me that members of the British administration who wear poppies have at the same time sent young men and women to fight and die in futile wars. Shrouded in the powerful narrative of righteous heroism, the poppy of remembrance has sadly been hijacked by an establishment dedicated to glorifying nationalistic wars; it has become a kind of camouflage for the egotistical military interests of successive governments.

But carry on believing the propaganda machine if you must."

I think you need to disect the political propaganda from those who genuinely wish to recognise sacrifice made by those, be it as volunteers or conscripts, regardless of the campaign.

"I didn't know about purple ones, id like that."

You can buy online. Just google purple poppy.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Wear what colour you like but we won't be wearing them nor will the veteran Harry Leslie Smith for the same reasons

But carry on believing the propaganda machine if you must.

I think you need to disect the political propaganda from those who genuinely wish to recognise sacrifice made by those, be it as volunteers or conscripts, regardless of the campaign.

"

Those things are often blurred and it can be easier to quietly drop some money in the tin and not risk being seen to support modern war mongering.

Red is for remembering all those who lost their lives and the devastation it caused many families. We should never forget the individuals that never came back.

"Maybe we should have a snowflake shaped one for all the people who are offended. According to the papers there are people offended by poppies although I've never met one or come across anyone."

There are also people who are offended by people who don’t wear poppies.

Charlene White a news presenter doesn’t wear one in screen and explained why in a blog if I remember, some of the abuse & racist comments she got last year via Twitter was absolutely vile. People have a choice.

"Maybe we should have a snowflake shaped one for all the people who are offended. According to the papers there are people offended by poppies although I've never met one or come across anyone.

There are also people who are offended by people who don’t wear poppies.

Charlene White a news presenter doesn’t wear one in screen and explained why in a blog if I remember, some of the abuse & racist comments she got last year via Twitter was absolutely vile. People have a choice. "

very true. Some do feel their superior opinion shoukd be heard by all.

Hiding in the shadows

Yesterday I packed 191 poppy boxes.

Today I have delivered them to local shops, factories & offices.

I'm bloody proud of my families & my own service.

I wear a small enamel poppy all year round.

Whatever your views on the poppy,whatever your views on the armed forces, whether or not you choose to wear a poppy. All these rights and freedoms to express those views were wonfor the price of millions of lives.

That is why,even as a lefty,liberal pacifist,I always wear my poppy at this time of year.

Not with pride but with thanks.

"Whatever your views on the poppy,whatever your views on the armed forces, whether or not you choose to wear a poppy. All these rights and freedoms to express those views were wonfor the price of millions of lives.

That is why,even as a lefty,liberal pacifist,I always wear my poppy at this time of year.

Not with pride but with thanks."

The RBL say you can wear it however you like as long as you wear it with pride ........

By *c5th XXXMan  over a year ago

boston

As a officer I always have red for my fallen brothers who served our country and fell. That shall not grow old we will remember them.

Not making a moral judgement on this, but there should be a distinction made between those men who were conscripted / had no choice in fighting/ dying for a cause (whether just or not) and those who volunteer for/ die while fighting a war that has at best questionable moral objectives/ legitimacy.

"Whatever your views on the poppy,whatever your views on the armed forces, whether or not you choose to wear a poppy. All these rights and freedoms to express those views were wonfor the price of millions of lives.

The RBL say you can wear it however you like as long as you wear it with pride ........ "

I have very little to be proud of but a lot to be thankful for.

By *kyblue1878Couple  over a year ago

Southport

Not with pride but with thanks."

Good answer and displays a true understanding of the poppy unlike those who seek to politicise it and spout off negatively without any respect for those fallen heroes. It makes my blood boil when their memories are disrespected by those who wouldn't have the freedom of opinion without their sacrifices.

"As a officer I always have red for my fallen brothers who served our country and fell. That shall not grow old we will remember them. "

Did they lower the grades? It's An officer, not a officer

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"As a officer I always have red for my fallen brothers who served our country and fell. That shall not grow old we will remember them. "

What rank are you chap?

"As a officer I always have red for my fallen brothers who served our country and fell. That shall not grow old we will remember them.

What rank are you chap? "

Is this like army rhyming slang for a wank?

The RBL say you can wear it however you like as long as you wear it with pride ........

I have very little to be proud of but a lot to be thankful for. "

Oh I don’t know, post world wars it’s been mainly peace keeping and UN type humanitarian OPs.

By *wingfellowMan  over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

"Never was so much owed by so many to so few"

That's why I wear a poppy. It's a sign of respect and remembrance but for me it's also recognition that those whom have served never really stop fighting, plenty of men and women come home but the person they were before doesn't.

Sh*t opium in the white ones...

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?

Selling poppies in town today.

The poppies, child, are flowers of love.

For the men who marched away.

But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?

Why not a beautiful rose?

Because my child, men fought and died

In the fields where the poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?

Why are the poppies so red?

Red is the colour of blood, my child.

The blood that our soldiers shed.

The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.

Why does it have to be black?

Black, my child, is the symbol of grief.

For the men who never came back.

But why, Mummy are you crying so?

Your tears are giving you pain.

My tears are my fears for you my child.

For the world is forgetting again

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

What colour do you wear for your sisters who perished?

"Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?

Selling poppies in town today.

The poppies, child, are flowers of love.

For the men who marched away.

But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?

Why not a beautiful rose?

Because my child, men fought and died

In the fields where the poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?

Why are the poppies so red?

Red is the colour of blood, my child.

The blood that our soldiers shed.

The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.

Why does it have to be black?

Black, my child, is the symbol of grief.

For the men who never came back.

But why, Mummy are you crying so?

Your tears are giving you pain.

My tears are my fears for you my child.

For the world is forgetting again"

That’s pretty hard hitting

salisbury

"Not making a moral judgement on this, but there should be a distinction made between those men who were conscripted / had no choice in fighting/ dying for a cause (whether just or not) and those who volunteer for/ die while fighting a war that has at best questionable moral objectives/ legitimacy."

Is this like the 2 different colour ribbons for good AIDS and bad AIDS?

I always wear a

Lest we forget.

"I won’t forget those that sacrificed just because of the hierarchy that sent them to their deaths. People followed orders and they died. It is for them that I wear my poppy with pride. "

Agreed

By *angtidy42Couple  over a year ago

Redditch

Red poppy only. White poppy is piggy backing off the red and should not. Endex.

"Yesterday I packed 191 poppy boxes.

Today I have delivered them to local shops, factories & offices.

I'm bloody proud of my families & my own service.

I wear a small enamel poppy all year round.

"

My simple take on this is that red poppies commemorate, honour and remember the sacrifice of those who were killed in battle defending our country, freedom and ideals. And that means people from all over our Commonwealth of Nations of all religions and none, all colours and all races. Death makes no distinction and neither will I.

White poppies are for those who do not wish to fight and therefore not get killed but feel the need to be 'involved'. I defended their right to hold this view when I served but I profoundly disagree with the stance because if we were all pacifists we would all have been speaking German possibly since 1916 but most certainly since 1940.

If people deeply disagree with fighting in battle how can they respect those who do and did fight in battle? So do not take part in the Acts of Remembrance for those who did and WERE killed. For me these folks should take their white poppies elsewhere.

Always red for me.

I have worked voluntarily for the Legion,and know that the money raised goes not only to help ex-service men and women,but to the families as well. Towards the needs of children and spouses for their physical and mental well-being. Even though I'm ex services,I was surprised at the wide remit of the charity,and how it worked in co-operation with other charities,councils and social services. It has helped improve the lives of millions of people,regardless of race, religion,class or politics.

I will keep supporting it regardless of whether politicians wear poppies or not, they are also human and have as much right to wear them as everyone else, whether they do it for cynical reasons is on their conscience, and should not be a reason to,in turn be cynical about the RBL and all the good work it has done and is still doing.

I do find it very sad however,to see that almost every year,there are new names still being added to cenotaphs across the country.

"My simple take on this is that red poppies commemorate, honour and remember the sacrifice of those who were killed in battle defending our country, freedom and ideals. And that means people from all over our Commonwealth of Nations of all religions and none, all colours and all races. Death makes no distinction and neither will I.

White poppies are for those who do not wish to fight and therefore not get killed but feel the need to be 'involved'. I defended their right to hold this view when I served but I profoundly disagree with the stance because if we were all pacifists we would all have been speaking German possibly since 1916 but most certainly since 1940.

If people deeply disagree with fighting in battle how can they respect those who do and did fight in battle? So do not take part in the Acts of Remembrance for those who did and WERE killed. For me these folks should take their white poppies elsewhere."

Yes I feel similarly, the only exception I would make is that in WW2,many pacifist men served like an old friend of our family, as front line medics placing themselves in as much danger as other servicemen, and took part in helping prisoners at concentration camps. I always admired him for being true to his beliefs, and yet recognising that he had to do something to stand up to the evil that was sweeping across the world. Actions can speak louder than words.

"My simple take on this is that red poppies commemorate, honour and remember the sacrifice of those who were killed in battle defending our country, freedom and ideals. And that means people from all over our Commonwealth of Nations of all religions and none, all colours and all races. Death makes no distinction and neither will I.

If people deeply disagree with fighting in battle how can they respect those who do and did fight in battle? So do not take part in the Acts of Remembrance for those who did and WERE killed. For me these folks should take their white poppies elsewhere."

I take your point here, and agree with you but playing devil's advocate Germany didn't declare war against The UK in either conflict. Basically, The UK became involved because of a series of mutual defence agreements, plus a few other nefarious things. If we had all been pacifists, it's possible that a diplomatic solution could have been found to avoid war totally.

Hiding in the shadows

"

I take your point here, and agree with you but playing devil's advocate Germany didn't declare war against The UK in either conflict. Basically, The UK became involved because of a series of mutual defence agreements, plus a few other nefarious things. If we had all been pacifists, it's possible that a diplomatic solution could have been found to avoid war totally."

You really believe Hitler could have been reasoned with?

"Where does the money go?"

What does the money from white poppies go towards?

According to the Peace Pledge Union website: ‘Any money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the white poppies goes to fund our education work.’

This work includes creating resources for schools on the subject of conscientious objection and nonviolent resistance and maintaining and publicising records on the same topic.

By *wingfellowMan  over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

"

I take your point here, and agree with you but playing devil's advocate Germany didn't declare war against The UK in either conflict. Basically, The UK became involved because of a series of mutual defence agreements, plus a few other nefarious things. If we had all been pacifists, it's possible that a diplomatic solution could have been found to avoid war totally.

You really believe Hitler could have been reasoned with? "

Of course, he was building doodlebugs, v2's and an array of long range missiles with the range to reach us for shits and giggles. And of course he'd be diplomatic and allow all us non arian's the freedom to roam about amongst his "superior race"

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Bugger - I misread the thread title; I thought it said, ‘White Poopies’ and related to that most curious of dog shit phenomenon

Anyway, I always make a special point to buy a poppy. The red one encompass the entirety of the sentiment for me; For all those who gave their lives and for all those presently serving.

I wear it as a show of humble respect.

I have very little to be proud of but a lot to be thankful for.

Oh I don’t know, post world wars it’s been mainly peace keeping and UN type humanitarian OPs.

"

And that is something to thank our armed forces for,too.

I'm a pacifist..... but il be wearing a red one for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice and so allowing me to make my choices freely..... I wouldn't mind a purple one to go with it though.. are they only available online ?

We live in a country where we are free to refuse to wear a poppy.And that is a pretty damn good reason for wearing one.

By *rx1Couple  over a year ago

North West Devon...

"It's a con -all the poppies they sell on the street are fake -I've had one for close on a decade and it still won't bloody die

Haha"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

salisbury

"We live in a country where we are free to refuse to wear a poppy.And that is a pretty damn good reason for wearing one."

salisbury

"I'm a pacifist..... but il be wearing a red one for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice and so allowing me to make my choices freely..... I wouldn't mind a purple one to go with it though.. are they only available online ? "

Yes, took a bit of searching to find.

» Add a new message to this topic