FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Submarining

Submarining

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iSTARess OP   Woman  over a year ago

London

Don't you just hate it? Before you ask, it's someone who you've been chatting to/meeting then disappears only to resurface months later as if no time has passed.

I was seeing a chap who ghosted me who has just resurfaced after two months with a limp text apology. Temped to ask 'who is this?' but a friend advised to just ignore.

Casual, NSA, FWB, something more substantial, whatever you're on Fab for, is submarining acceptable?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *olfAndKittenCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Nope its not cool.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is it the ghosting first or the limp apology/explanation return that you find worse?

(I’m not endorsing either by the way)

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Alien abduction could provide the explanation for said phenomenon.......but I doubt it would be accurate.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

It depends on the reason given as to why it went quiet.

I doubt you'd get the 100% truthful version but it's the least you deserve.

I never go back to where it was left off.

By *olfAndKittenCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Lets break it down...

"Hey there, how are you?" Takes....5 seconds?

"Going to be quiet for a while, lifes getting shit"... 10 seconds.

If someone can go off radar for months without any real explanation then it shows what people are worth.

Yes swinging can be shallow but courtesy and politeness really cost nothing... If someone says they were busy, nah... No one is that busy they cannot find 10 seconds in a day to send a message

I thought it was somebody who went down on you

London

"Is it the ghosting first or the limp apology/explanation return that you find worse?

(I’m not endorsing either by the way)"

Good question. Both incredibly annoying but in this instance, think I prefer if he'd stayed dead instead of resurrection

"Lets break it down...

"Hey there, how are you?" Takes....5 seconds?

"Going to be quiet for a while, lifes getting shit"... 10 seconds.

If someone can go off radar for months without any real explanation then it shows what people are worth.

Yes swinging can be shallow but courtesy and politeness really cost nothing... If someone says they were busy, nah... No one is that busy they cannot find 10 seconds in a day to send a message "

My carrier Pidgeon died and I had to train a new one.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m guilty of this I got in a bike accident and when I surfaced after months of recovery nobody believed me. .

By *hyevernotMan  over a year ago

Here and there

This has happened to me a few times. People come and go from the site. To be honest it's never really bothered me in the past. Life can be complicated and people usually have their reasons, good or bad. Sometimes the reunions can make up for it!

Most of the time I wouldn't accept it, but I know a few people whose schedules mean they might not be around for large spells. I'd make exceptions there.

"Is it the ghosting first or the limp apology/explanation return that you find worse?

Good question. Both incredibly annoying but in this instance, think I prefer if he'd stayed dead instead of resurrection"

So that sounds like there was no way he could have restablished contact and provided an explanation that would ever have been accepted. That’s more what I meant, was it the lameness of the return not the return itself that irked, but it reads more that the initial ghosting was actually the issue.

I may be wrong.

I have just done a status about this very thing. Suddenly messaged me out of the blue after months of no contact. Surprise surprise......he's staying in a hotel in my area.

My thoughts....dream on mate, I'm worth so much more than the likes of you.

Cardiff

"I have just done a status about this very thing. Suddenly messaged me out of the blue after months of no contact. Surprise surprise......he's staying in a hotel in my area.

My thoughts....dream on mate, I'm worth so much more than the likes of you."

Did you reply to him?

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

It depends on the 'relationship' - it's the violation of expectation that's the problem usually, otherwise it's just a bit irritating if they assume they can pick up where they left off and you can't remember who the hell they were lol!!

"I have just done a status about this very thing. Suddenly messaged me out of the blue after months of no contact. Surprise surprise......he's staying in a hotel in my area.

Yeah sorry about that

London

Good question. Both incredibly annoying but in this instance, think I prefer if he'd stayed dead instead of resurrection

So that sounds like there was no way he could have restablished contact and provided an explanation that would ever have been accepted. That’s more what I meant, was it the lameness of the return not the return itself that irked, but it reads more that the initial ghosting was actually the issue.

I may be wrong."

Initial ghosting was very annoying. All was fine as far as I knew and just vanished. But I got over it, moved on. Just to pop up again is pointless as I don't do second chances. Been burnt too many times

It happens people disappear for multiple reasons I guess but I have nearly always moved on by then so tend to not bother with them.

I may be wrong.

Initial ghosting was very annoying. All was fine as far as I knew and just vanished. But I got over it, moved on. Just to pop up again is pointless as I don't do second chances. Been burnt too many times "

That’s fair enough. Again, solely playing devil’s advocate (and not negating the confusion/upset/horrible ugh of ghosting) perhaps they were unaware you don’t give second chances, or simply wanted to express apologies (however limp) for their behaviour before. Or complete nobhead behaviour assuming that time has made it all okay to continue, which is not cool. You’re right to ignore if that works best for you. I’d be inclined to acknowledge the apology but confirm things have moved on and you’re not inclined to continue contact and wish them well, but that’s only my opinion and obviously I am well aware I don’t have knowledge of the interactions. I tend to think people are only ever doing the best they can in a situation. That doesn’t mean people don’t hurt each other, obviously. Look after you.

"Don't you just hate it? Before you ask, it's someone who you've been chatting to/meeting then disappears only to resurface months later as if no time has passed.

I was seeing a chap who ghosted me who has just resurfaced after two months with a limp text apology. Temped to ask 'who is this?' but a friend advised to just ignore.

Casual, NSA, FWB, something more substantial, whatever you're on Fab for, is submarining acceptable?"

Of course it's excepted. Their not your partner. What isn't excepted is if they've been online or meeting and ignored you. It's right you didn't ask who is it,as that sends a single that you like to play games . Also is the apology legit in your eyes. If so then no problem. If you don't believe it then just move on.

Would be interesting to know what type of connection you had with said male,seeing as you started a thread about him?. What did you see him as? Lexi

I wouldn't say hate, but I don't welcome it.

My interest wanes the less contact I have so my replies will be of indifference.

They usually get the message when I don't sound too enthusiastic.

I have had that happen to me too...

On the positive side i was able to block them

I have had to ask many times "Who is this?".

If they cop the hump that's not my concern as I left the ball in their court and I don't like to keep numbers in my phone of people who I don't converse with.

Did you reply to him?"

I did. I was polite but got my point across to him.

Cardiff

Did you reply to him?

I did. I was polite but got my point across to him."

Good. If it was just the status I reckon it would of been an opportunity lost and perhaps you would of been frustrated on not giving him a piece of your mind.

As before he messaged you, you have nothing to regret and that's always a nice feeling.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I didn't know there was an actual name for it!

Was only talking about a couple of days ago, with friends.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had this happening.

7 times to be exact.

Couple of people I actually met several times, the others just ones I'd chatted with, but had been arranging a social.

For whatever reason, they either left the site, or just havn't been online.

All have sent messages, wanting to reconnect.

I've declined.

I found the assumption of the 2 I'd met - both over a year ago - that I'd automatically come running at a click of their fingers amusing.

It wasn't so much they asked, it was the way they asked.

Apparantly my refusal, means I now think I'm too good & up my own arse according to one!

The other just blocked me.

I didn't even reply to the ones I'd not met, one sent me several messages over a 4hr period. I was at work & only saw them later. I blocked him.

What I did find really amusing. One is using the same pics he had on his old profile, that's the only reason I knew who it was, but he is now 7yrs younger than he was a year ago!

Sorry for my ignorance but what is submarining?

Cardiff

"Sorry for my ignorance but what is submarining? "

Umm 1st line of the OP goes some way of explaining it better than I could.

"Sorry for my ignorance but what is submarining?

Umm 1st line of the OP goes some way of explaining it better than I could."

FFS, sorry ... Double ignorance now

"I didn't know there was an actual name for it!

Was only talking about a couple of days ago, with friends.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had this happening.

7 times to be exact.

Couple of people I actually met several times, the others just ones I'd chatted with, but had been arranging a social.

For whatever reason, they either left the site, or just havn't been online.

All have sent messages, wanting to reconnect.

I've declined.

I found the assumption of the 2 I'd met - both over a year ago - that I'd automatically come running at a click of their fingers amusing.

It wasn't so much they asked, it was the way they asked.

Apparantly my refusal, means I now think I'm too good & up my own arse according to one!

The other just blocked me.

I didn't even reply to the ones I'd not met, one sent me several messages over a 4hr period. I was at work & only saw them later. I blocked him.

What I did find really amusing. One is using the same pics he had on his old profile, that's the only reason I knew who it was, but he is now 7yrs younger than he was a year ago! "

They must think that we are desperate and siting waiting for their messages and will go running when they ask. Ermmm.....nope, it doesn't quite work like that guys. All we ask for is some respect and honesty, but it seems it's too much to ask these days.

Cardiff

"Sorry for my ignorance but what is submarining?

Umm 1st line of the OP goes some way of explaining it better than I could.

FFS, sorry ... Double ignorance now "

Haha. It was a brand new thing to me earlier this afternoon and I've learned something new but my way with words isn't as good when it comes to the crunch.

London

"Don't you just hate it? Before you ask, it's someone who you've been chatting to/meeting then disappears only to resurface months later as if no time has passed.

Casual, NSA, FWB, something more substantial, whatever you're on Fab for, is submarining acceptable?

Of course it's excepted. Their not your partner. What isn't excepted is if they've been online or meeting and ignored you. It's right you didn't ask who is it,as that sends a single that you like to play games . Also is the apology legit in your eyes. If so then no problem. If you don't believe it then just move on.

Would be interesting to know what type of connection you had with said male,seeing as you started a thread about him?. What did you see him as? Lexi"

Numerous times things have drifted with folks on here and never bothered me but kinda liked this one.

Bit more backstory....saw a few times, got on like a house on fire, all well, arranged another meet. Asked to confirm on the day, read my (WhatsApp) and blocked me. Radio silence until today.

Thread isn't about him per se. It's happened before and pretty sure it'll happen again

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Would be interesting to know what type of connection you had with said male,seeing as you started a thread about him?. What did you see him as? Lexi

Numerous times things have drifted with folks on here and never bothered me but kinda liked this one.

Bit more backstory....saw a few times, got on like a house on fire, all well, arranged another meet. Asked to confirm on the day, read my (WhatsApp) and blocked me. Radio silence until today.

Thread isn't about him per se. It's happened before and pretty sure it'll happen again

"

Totally out of order - he deserves to get told to fuck off IMO!

"

He sounds like one to ignore, and good riddance.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I think there are *some* circumstances where it would be acceptable, but they would usually involve a level of explanation *before* the disappearing act or at least the occasional "up periscope" in the period between diving and resurfacing.

If someone just disappeared without so much as a bye or leave, then they'd need to be pretty damned convincing and have low expectations of any immediate rekindling of things when they did male contact.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"I’m guilty of this I got in a bike accident and when I surfaced after months of recovery nobody believed me. . "

Sorry to hear it. Hope you're a lot better now.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

A decent explanation wouldn't hurt, would it?

By *ot-AshMan  over a year ago

London

I hadn't heard the term submarining before either.

Its a bit like with friends who vanish when they find a new partner but then suddenly reappear a few months later when they are single again wanting to be mates once more like nothing happened!

It happens. Sometimes people forget that real life emotions are also at play when you’re on a site like this.

People just naturally drift sometimes and there’s not much you can do. I guess it all depends on how you both left it. Whether on a bad note or a good one.

It all depends on how you feel about the individual. I’ve had people message me after a long time and we’ve reacquainted because we did have some good times together. And some others where I’ve had to say, sorry I’ve moved on because that connection isn’t there anymore.

Don’t know if that all makes sense.

Casual, NSA, FWB, something more substantial, whatever you're on Fab for, is submarining acceptable?"

Yes it’s absolutely fine...

"I think there are *some* circumstances where it would be acceptable, but they would usually involve a level of explanation *before* the disappearing act or at least the occasional "up periscope" in the period between diving and resurfacing.

If someone just disappeared without so much as a bye or leave, then they'd need to be pretty damned convincing and have low expectations of any immediate rekindling of things when they did male contact."

I have a couple of men friends I accept it off, because I know their circumstances and neither are from here.

Absolutely hate it!

I met a guy on here who disappears for months then reappears, asking for a meet as if no time has passed at all. Despise when friends and family do it.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

I dunno.

Sometimes i stop talking to someone because I cant send two messages in a row without looking like a stalker creep.

Not come accross it

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It depends upon the relationship that you have but also potentially what someone may have been going through and how emotionally intelligent they may be. Close family member or friends illnesses or deaths may be hard for some people to share much, of anything, about - especially if grieving. And also if your relationship has the depth from them where they are open with you, with trust invested.

It's hard to talk generically - there are people that I would not be comfortable with if they did this - but it also reflects on the type of relationships I've formed with them to start with, including agreements etc. I have friends who I see sporadically and it's fine too.

But the moment that there's something going on between us that's unspoken - it's wrong for to accept this from them. I move on it and possibly break the link.

It's fine for people to orbit into outer space but not assume that you will refuel and undertake ship redesign to travel again on their whim

This must be a male thing, cause women don’t do it in my experience.

By *rimson_RoseWoman  over a year ago

Tamworth

I've had this with a couple of people. I often tend to get to know my meets as friends to an extent so while I accept that life happens, when it keeps on happening with the same person it gets a bit irritating.

Had one guy who has disappeared twice after we met for a drink a couple of months back. He popped back up again today asking if we could meet a couple he's chatting to. Er, no!

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

I thought it was usual, especially on here.

salisbury

"This must be a male thing, cause women don’t do it in my experience. "

Women do it all the time! I just assume they need space, so leave them to it.

"This must be a male thing, cause women don’t do it in my experience.

Women do it all the time! I just assume they need space, so leave them to it."

"This must be a male thing, cause women don’t do it in my experience.

Women do it all the time! I just assume they need space, so leave them to it."

Maybe, I just don’t notice when they’re gone then.

sometimes life gets in the way.

Why waste time on months and months of chat if you only get the chance to meet once every few months?

On a past profile I spent 3 years chatting with a woman who talked a good eet, but could never find the time.

Another was all up for meeting until I was in England and lo and behold was snowed in. I was 5 miles away and the roads were clear.

"sometimes life gets in the way.

Why waste time on months and months of chat if you only get the chance to meet once every few months?

On a past profile I spent 3 years chatting with a woman who talked a good eet, but could never find the time.

Another was all up for meeting until I was in England and lo and behold was snowed in. I was 5 miles away and the roads were clear."

That reason is very feasible. I can get blocked in by snow where I live, but 1 mile away the road is open.

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

I thought this was going to be a face sitting thread

salisbury

"I thought this was going to be a face sitting thread "

I thought it was about poorly fitting seatbelts.

"sometimes life gets in the way.

Another was all up for meeting until I was in England and lo and behold was snowed in. I was 5 miles away and the roads were clear.

That reason is very feasible. I can get blocked in by snow where I live, but 1 mile away the road is open."

Not in the south of England when the snow is 24 hours away.

Isn't this just another version of the "somebody stopped chatting to me for no reason" thread?

Forget it, don't bother replying to their messages and just move on.

"Isn't this just another version of the "somebody stopped chatting to me for no reason" thread?

Forget it, don't bother replying to their messages and just move on."

Where’ve you been? You disappeared and now you pop up here all chitter chatter. Pfffft.

By *aucy tiggerWoman  over a year ago

Back where I belong

I meet a guy a number of times and then fizzled out. He's popped up twice since, saying his account has been hacked and he's had to create a new one and can I please verify him! I haven't seen or heard from him for two years and all he wants is a veri! I chose to ignore.

"Isn't this just another version of the "somebody stopped chatting to me for no reason" thread?

Where’ve you been? You disappeared and now you pop up here all chitter chatter. Pfffft."

If you wasn't concerned enough to pm me then I'm not going to tell you where I've been.

(in other words, nowhere interesting)

I understand why somebody who meets you, then ghosts you, then reappears months later is a bit shitty but isn't the messaging version of that here on Fab just the same as mingling at a party?

Just because the person chatted to you and then wandered off doesn't mean they're not into you. Maybe you gave off signs you weren't so into them? And just because they eventually start talking to you again after having made their way through a room of people doesn't mean you're a second rate option for them. Maybe they've been trying to find an excuse to talk to you again all that time?

Where’ve you been? You disappeared and now you pop up here all chitter chatter. Pfffft.

If you wasn't concerned enough to pm me then I'm not going to tell you where I've been.

(in other words, nowhere interesting)"

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

When somebody, you've not seen in over a year, but appears in your local updates, posts a status saying 'horny & bored'

Then an hour later sends you a two word message.

Yep... That's tonight's Submariner!

"I understand why somebody who meets you, then ghosts you, then reappears months later is a bit shitty but isn't the messaging version of that here on Fab just the same as mingling at a party?

Just because the person chatted to you and then wandered off doesn't mean they're not into you. Maybe you gave off signs you weren't so into them? And just because they eventually start talking to you again after having made their way through a room of people doesn't mean you're a second rate option for them. Maybe they've been trying to find an excuse to talk to you again all that time? "

I’d agree, and my interpreting of the term ghosting and submarining is that involves having met, or at the absolute least an extended (month++) period of daily talking online/on phone/skype etc off site where there’s a mutual understanding that ghosting would be bizarre and upsetting.

"When somebody, you've not seen in over a year, but appears in your local updates, posts a status saying 'horny & bored'

Then an hour later sends you a two word message.

Yep... That's tonight's Submariner! "

You can't buy friends like that

...well err you probably could

I refuse to carry on where we left off after their disappearing act so I ignore then.Plus I cant remember what we even chatted about lol

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"This has happened to me a few times. People come and go from the site. To be honest it's never really bothered me in the past. Life can be complicated and people usually have their reasons, good or bad. Sometimes the reunions can make up for it! "

Agree with this.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

Yup... Its a bugbear of mine. People I'd chatted with at length, and possibly even met who suddenly just ghosted and then decided to get in touch up to a year later announcing they're free tomorrow.

Not

A

Hope

In

Hell

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Ping...ping....ping

London

Some of you have missed the point... chatting and disappearing is slightly different to someone you've gotten to know in person then vanishes on the day of a meet only to rock up months later

"Some of you have missed the point... chatting and disappearing is slightly different to someone you've gotten to know in person then vanishes on the day of a meet only to rock up months later "

Odd for them to just disappear and resurface - but there could be a good explanation. I move around the country spending 3-6 months in one place - but I explain why I won’t be in contact/looking to meet for a while. And still stay in touch with friends, obviously!

» Add a new message to this topic