FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > In jokes and newbies

In jokes and newbies

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm probably going to get roasted for this... and I don't mean to talk out of place and be a forum nazi... but

There have been a couple of times recently when old hands on the forums have put up threads or posts which others of us who have been on here a fair while know are totally tongue in cheek but which are played so dead pan that it leads newbies into falling for them. If this is actually what people find funny about them then I guess I'll just slate it down to having a very different view on humour from me as, personally, I think that's a bit cruel laughing at people in that way.

I just wanted to say that such threads or posts can come across as super bitchy, aggressive or abusive to newbies who aren't up to speed on the fact that you don't actually mean it. And the experience of others laughing whilst you get upset can be very alienating and perhaps lead to the sense that the forums are a catty cliquey place... when they're not imo.

I understand that there are some moronic newbies who stumble on here saying ridiculous things and they deserve to get roasted. I also understand that a little teasing can be a lot of fun and often the person being teased reacts with great humour and reveals themselves to be a good sport. But...

Perhaps if you're running a thread which is an in joke or posting remarks which are dead pan sarcastic and you get into a situation where a newbie is clearly taking it literally and getting upset... maybe just let them know that you're taking the piss so it doesn't end up ruining their experience on here. I know it'll ruin the illusion of the thread if you do it on there. But heck... it was only ever supposed to be a joke. It was never meant to really upset someone was it

That's all. I await being crucified, with my own nails at the ready

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

It’s a real shame some newbies are going to fall for this

"

It’s a real shame some newbies are going to fall for this"

Oi! Cheeky

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes sir

By *he Mac LassWoman  over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

Forum hazing? Is that a thing? I despair when adults forget how to adult but that’s what admins and the report button are there for. That’s a long post that didn’t need writing imo.

Hmmmmm is this specifically aimed at the snowflake generation of fabbers op?

Best they just pull up their big boy/girl pants and join in the fun ..

"I'm probably going to get roasted for this... and I don't mean to talk out of place and be a forum nazi... but

There have been a couple of times recently when old hands on the forums have put up threads or posts which others of us who have been on here a fair while know are totally tongue in cheek but which are played so dead pan that it leads newbies into falling for them. If this is actually what people find funny about them then I guess I'll just slate it down to having a very different view on humour from me as, personally, I think that's a bit cruel laughing at people in that way.

I just wanted to say that such threads or posts can come across as super bitchy, aggressive or abusive to newbies who aren't up to speed on the fact that you don't actually mean it. And the experience of others laughing whilst you get upset can be very alienating and perhaps lead to the sense that the forums are a catty cliquey place... when they're not imo.

I understand that there are some moronic newbies who stumble on here saying ridiculous things and they deserve to get roasted. I also understand that a little teasing can be a lot of fun and often the person being teased reacts with great humour and reveals themselves to be a good sport. But...

Perhaps if you're running a thread which is an in joke or posting remarks which are dead pan sarcastic and you get into a situation where a newbie is clearly taking it literally and getting upset... maybe just let them know that you're taking the piss so it doesn't end up ruining their experience on here. I know it'll ruin the illusion of the thread if you do it on there. But heck... it was only ever supposed to be a joke. It was never meant to really upset someone was it

That's all. I await being crucified, with my own nails at the ready "

Completely agree with you, OP.

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

"Hmmmmm is this specifically aimed at the snowflake generation of fabbers op?

"

Snowflake generation

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I try to be moronic in a daily basis.

Or at least chat to a few.

Hello OP.

Best they just pull up their big boy/girl pants and join in the fun .."

No, those who aren't on the fora long enough to know the OP is joking/looking for a reaction etc.

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

Agree with you OP. Im sure it gives the clique a warm and fuzzy feeling. They ob need it. Bit sad really.

By *hamboy69Man  over a year ago

huddersfield

[Removed by poster at 26/09/18 22:12:03]

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

[Removed by poster at 26/09/18 22:09:50]

"

I had to go thru it so should others only fair

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

This is by far one of the easiest going and welcoming forums I have ever frequented.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I'm an oldie poster and I still get drawn in by some posts then realise as I'm blocked it was a forum wind up, tongue in cheek, thread.

Knock knock

"Knock knock "

Who’s there?

The forum has never been newbie friendly, doubly so if you’re male.

The worst offenders are the men who have managed to elevate themselves to being 'accepted'. They guard their position with a particularly viscous fervour, gleefully putting down the interlopers.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Virtually every single thing I post is facetious or wry.

.....Except this post funnily enough.....hmmmm.

Wait, it’s facetious now

"The forum has never been newbie friendly, doubly so if you’re male.

The worst offenders are the men who have managed to elevate themselves to being 'accepted'. They guard their position with a particularly viscous fervour, gleefully putting down the interlopers."

Although I'd say they may merely come across as that when in fact they're only trying to make in jokes that get those of us in the know chuckling. But yes it can come across as macho chest beating to ward off other males

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Forum hazing? Is that a thing? I despair when adults forget how to adult but that’s what admins and the report button are there for. That’s a long post that didn’t need writing imo. "

OP's obviously got too much time on his hands

The worst offenders are the men who have managed to elevate themselves to being 'accepted'. They guard their position with a particularly viscous fervour, gleefully putting down the interlopers.

Although I'd say they may merely come across as that when in fact they're only trying to make in jokes that get those of us in the know chuckling. But yes it can come across as macho chest beating to ward off other males "

Oh come on!! You and I know they put new guys down for a cheap laugh they think will curry favour.

It’s a playground tactic most leave behind when they take their options.

Although I'd say they may merely come across as that when in fact they're only trying to make in jokes that get those of us in the know chuckling. But yes it can come across as macho chest beating to ward off other males

Oh come on!! You and I know they put new guys down for a cheap laugh they think will curry favour.

It’s a playground tactic most leave behind when they take their options."

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not complete twats until I've met them. After all... they may be complete cunts instead

"Knock knock

Who’s there? "

Ivana

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not complete twats until I've met them. After all... they may be complete cunts instead "

Takes one to know one

"I'm probably going to get roasted for this... and I don't mean to talk out of place and be a forum nazi... but

Is this about the social housing thing? Don't worry, Estella will explain.

Really though, you write too much about something that doesn't matter at all.

I can't be arsed to post much anymore. No great loss I know. But the in jokes kinda kill some threads. Meh. So be it.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not complete twats until I've met them. After all... they may be complete cunts instead

Takes one to know one "

Oh dear I think you just proved Figaros point haha

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Ok what did I miss. In all honesty and speaking as 1 of the lifers. This place of late could really do with taking 1 huge chill. As those who know me I'm sure will say there's 1 or 2 subjects will always get my back up as I'm sure there is for everyone but on the whole on here I take everything as a joke a wind up or a piss take untill I'm 100% sure of different. For some they could be wise words.... It's also worth bearing in mind that this is a public forum and if your here for life or just passing through none of us own it and we all have the same right to post what ever or how ever we like as long as it's within forum rules. This place can be the funniest and most entertaining way to wast your minutes hours or even days but the only way that works is when the real caricatures are bouncing off and with others. Sadly a lot have gone but more will always follow if they're welcomed. I for 1 hope they hurry the fuck up and we all get this place kicking again....

I sometimes give them a heads up that it's not a serious thread.

I'm nice like that

"Ok what did I miss. In all honesty and speaking as 1 of the lifers. This place of late could really do with taking 1 huge chill. As those who know me I'm sure will say there's 1 or 2 subjects will always get my back up as I'm sure there is for everyone but on the whole on here I take everything as a joke a wind up or a piss take untill I'm 100% sure of different. For some they could be wise words.... It's also worth bearing in mind that this is a public forum and if your here for life or just passing through none of us own it and we all have the same right to post what ever or how ever we like as long as it's within forum rules. This place can be the funniest and most entertaining way to wast your minutes hours or even days but the only way that works is when the real caricatures are bouncing off and with others. Sadly a lot have gone but more will always follow if they're welcomed. I for 1 hope they hurry the fuck up and we all get this place kicking again...."

It's gone right downhill ain't it.

"Ok what did I miss. In all honesty and speaking as 1 of the lifers. This place of late could really do with taking 1 huge chill. As those who know me I'm sure will say there's 1 or 2 subjects will always get my back up as I'm sure there is for everyone but on the whole on here I take everything as a joke a wind up or a piss take untill I'm 100% sure of different. For some they could be wise words.... It's also worth bearing in mind that this is a public forum and if your here for life or just passing through none of us own it and we all have the same right to post what ever or how ever we like as long as it's within forum rules. This place can be the funniest and most entertaining way to wast your minutes hours or even days but the only way that works is when the real caricatures are bouncing off and with others. Sadly a lot have gone but more will always follow if they're welcomed. I for 1 hope they hurry the fuck up and we all get this place kicking again...."

Manchester

"Ok what did I miss. In all honesty and speaking as 1 of the lifers. This place of late could really do with taking 1 huge chill. As those who know me I'm sure will say there's 1 or 2 subjects will always get my back up as I'm sure there is for everyone but on the whole on here I take everything as a joke a wind up or a piss take untill I'm 100% sure of different. For some they could be wise words.... It's also worth bearing in mind that this is a public forum and if your here for life or just passing through none of us own it and we all have the same right to post what ever or how ever we like as long as it's within forum rules. This place can be the funniest and most entertaining way to wast your minutes hours or even days but the only way that works is when the real caricatures are bouncing off and with others. Sadly a lot have gone but more will always follow if they're welcomed. I for 1 hope they hurry the fuck up and we all get this place kicking again....

It's gone right downhill ain't it."

Peaks and troughs. It's just the way it is. Although that hills looking pretty damn steep

Pretty sure im almost certain, i was victim to adleast one of these instances you speak of. One for definite was when minky moo put up a thread about cosmic order delivered. Shortly after my cosmic order thread. Could just be the cosmic order working in mysterious ways, and be pure synchronicity mixy moos thread just so happed to appear shortly after mine.

But my devine intuition would tell me otherwise, IV a pretty good radar for that type stuff, bet your all rave hippy nut jobs well past your time, all retired to a online virtual tribe. Watching ones others back. Picking targets and slowly picking them off one by one. Oh well when it's time to go, it's time to go!

"

"

Wouldn't want to disappoint anyone now would I! Roll up roll up, make your way from your cave's and put some clothes on. Grab your stick and wonder through the woods gracefully. Put your best mad hatters hat on, grab you're best cup of space tea, and come along for the ride!oh and don't forget your doctor

What do you feel made it better before?

For some there is no hope, that jaffa fella did one recently where he and 4 or 5 others repeatedly pointed out it was a piss take, and still people got upset as if it was real.

I think this is one of the few banter based forums that really doesn't get too far out of hand. The 175 post limit just sorts it out.

This has been a very revealing thread. And not in a good way

"This has been a very revealing thread. And not in a good way "

You mean all her clothes fell off, but it wasn't "all in the best possible taste".

Manchester

"Ok what did I miss. In all honesty and speaking as 1 of the lifers. This place of late could really do with taking 1 huge chill. As those who know me I'm sure will say there's 1 or 2 subjects will always get my back up as I'm sure there is for everyone but on the whole on here I take everything as a joke a wind up or a piss take untill I'm 100% sure of different. For some they could be wise words.... It's also worth bearing in mind that this is a public forum and if your here for life or just passing through none of us own it and we all have the same right to post what ever or how ever we like as long as it's within forum rules. This place can be the funniest and most entertaining way to wast your minutes hours or even days but the only way that works is when the real caricatures are bouncing off and with others. Sadly a lot have gone but more will always follow if they're welcomed. I for 1 hope they hurry the fuck up and we all get this place kicking again....

What do you feel made it better before?"

The people. Wasn't you around in the real nocturnal days. No offence to jim in anyway but when that was going on with Dan (the boss) suzy444 (The Secretary) and God I can't even think who else was part of it there was loads of us. It was a real blast every night and regularly the threads would go into double figures. Think the record was 27 parts in 1 night. All that's changed is the caricatures that are around...

The people. Wasn't you around in the real nocturnal days. No offence to jim in anyway but when that was going on with Dan (the boss) suzy444 (The Secretary) and God I can't even think who else was part of it there was loads of us. It was a real blast every night and regularly the threads would go into double figures. Think the record was 27 parts in 1 night. All that's changed is the caricatures that are around..."

So basically us new-ish folk (I’ve been on the forums about nine months, I’m assuming those people are from a couple of years ago at least) are rubbish?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There's a mix of people here, with diverse personalities, including humour. Call out anything that you perceive as unfair or inappropriate at the time. It allows the context and meanings to be apparent, more easily that referring to it in isolation etc

Manchester

"This has been a very revealing thread. And not in a good way "

No idea what's gone on today so if I'm out of order I apologise so please don't take this as a dig it's not. I know we haven't spoke much on here but obviously we've seen each other about. I think why we've not spoke much is because to me you come across really serious about most things you post. Maybe just lighten up A little. After all this place is supposed to be fun. The serious shit belongs on the politics forum

The people. Wasn't you around in the real nocturnal days. No offence to jim in anyway but when that was going on with Dan (the boss) suzy444 (The Secretary) and God I can't even think who else was part of it there was loads of us. It was a real blast every night and regularly the threads would go into double figures. Think the record was 27 parts in 1 night. All that's changed is the caricatures that are around..."

No, I didn't get involved in the lounge back then.

Just start a "kiss/fuck/buy a beer" thread and you'll be the most popular poster since Athena's tennis bum girl.

But that was just good for you. I was here in a previous incarnation and was either roundly attacked or ignored. It was a pretty ugly vicious experience and I ended up stopping posting because of it. This time there aren't so many twats around and there's more air to breathe. There are others for whom this is the best its been precisely because they're finally having fun on here and connecting with people.

I just worry because I can see signs of it descending back into bitching and chest beating again. Yawwwwn. I figured we were all here just to make friends and hang out. I didn't factor in that pulling newbies trousers down and laughing at them was part of the fun. I didn't realise that's what "banter" meant

Manchester

The people. Wasn't you around in the real nocturnal days. No offence to jim in anyway but when that was going on with Dan (the boss) suzy444 (The Secretary) and God I can't even think who else was part of it there was loads of us. It was a real blast every night and regularly the threads would go into double figures. Think the record was 27 parts in 1 night. All that's changed is the caricatures that are around...

So basically us new-ish folk (I’ve been on the forums about nine months, I’m assuming those people are from a couple of years ago at least) are rubbish?

"

Not even close and you know it ya shit it's just takes 1 or 2 big personalities and we all play up to it or bounce off them. Not sure what the word is I'm looking for but hope you get me.

I can honestly say.....

Actually, I can’t

Soz

Not even close and you know it ya shit it's just takes 1 or 2 big personalities and we all play up to it or bounce off them. Not sure what the word is I'm looking for but hope you get me."

Maybe when I’m a grown up I’ll make a difference on fab xx

Not even close and you know it ya shit it's just takes 1 or 2 big personalities and we all play up to it or bounce off them. Not sure what the word is I'm looking for but hope you get me.

Maybe when I’m a grown up I’ll make a difference on fab xx"

I kid myself that I have.

"This has been a very revealing thread. And not in a good way

No idea what's gone on today so if I'm out of order I apologise so please don't take this as a dig it's not. I know we haven't spoke much on here but obviously we've seen each other about. I think why we've not spoke much is because to me you come across really serious about most things you post. Maybe just lighten up A little. After all this place is supposed to be fun. The serious shit belongs on the politics forum "

Thanks fire blade. Yeah I've seen you on here over the years and enjoyed some of your posts. Don't worry. I have my bouts of being silly. I think others will vouch for that I don't take these forums seriously (who can? Haha). But I like the mix of people I've met on them and I'm not really interested in either trying to be the alpha male on here nor exploring the lowest form of wit. So I tend to construe "lightening up a little" as being both positive and fun at the same time. That's just the way I roll, after having lived in the US for a while. Positive vibes all the way baby!!

Manchester

But that was just good for you. I was here in a previous incarnation and was either roundly attacked or ignored. It was a pretty ugly vicious experience and I ended up stopping posting because of it. This time there aren't so many twats around and there's more air to breathe. There are others for whom this is the best its been precisely because they're finally having fun on here and connecting with people.

I just worry because I can see signs of it descending back into bitching and chest beating again. Yawwwwn. I figured we were all here just to make friends and hang out. I didn't factor in that pulling newbies trousers down and laughing at them was part of the fun. I didn't realise that's what "banter" meant "

No it wasn't just good for me it was good for everyone that got involved. That particular thread dan somehow and I've no idea how he managed it but he made sure he did his best to include everyone and believe me that's hard work when there's loads of old and new posters on..... I've no idea about the time you was on before but I can be pretty sure what your talking about didn't involve me. Unless of course you threw the 1st punch if you did then yes ok I probably threw the last...

Manchester

No, I didn't get involved in the lounge back then."

We spoke though so you must have at some point.

By *ix-foot-two-stuMan  over a year ago

Coventry

I remember the news groups - the forerunners of bulletin boards and then forums. The uk motorbiking newsgroup was horrendously cliquey. If you weren’t a regular, you could fuck right off.

If a forum is being run exceptionally well, then cliques are discouraged by mods because they alienate noobs. If noobs don't stay and become regulars, then the community isn't going to grow (as fast at least).

How the mods discourage cliques is important. The rules need to be clear. A light touch by the mods is better than wading in heavy handed.

At the same time, fostering a sense of community, thread ownership and friendships is critical to get people returning to the forum regularly.

Steering a community well is a fine balancing act.

Meanwhile, everyone posting in a forum needs to be aware that they are likely to benefit from a thick skin at some point.

Don’t take shit too personally and don’t react rashly.

While I’m a noob to this forum and the lifestyle it’s focussed on, running forums is something I know a little about.

Chances are if someone is being a cruel asshole to noobs then that person is going to get known for being a cruel asshole. It’s not the intelligent way to win friends and inveigle people.

We spoke though so you must have at some point. "

How far back are you talking about?

Manchester

No idea what's gone on today so if I'm out of order I apologise so please don't take this as a dig it's not. I know we haven't spoke much on here but obviously we've seen each other about. I think why we've not spoke much is because to me you come across really serious about most things you post. Maybe just lighten up A little. After all this place is supposed to be fun. The serious shit belongs on the politics forum

Thanks fire blade. Yeah I've seen you on here over the years and enjoyed some of your posts. Don't worry. I have my bouts of being silly. I think others will vouch for that I don't take these forums seriously (who can? Haha). But I like the mix of people I've met on them and I'm not really interested in either trying to be the alpha male on here nor exploring the lowest form of wit. So I tend to construe "lightening up a little" as being both positive and fun at the same time. That's just the way I roll, after having lived in the US for a while. Positive vibes all the way baby!! "

As I said different strokes different folks. We all post threads as we choose and reply to the 1s interest us. Personally I'm a piss take and welcome it right back. That was all I was meaning neither of us is right or wrong.

Manchester

How far back are you talking about?"

No idea but a while back. I'm shite with names but shit hot with body pics

By *abrielle247Couple (FF)  over a year ago

PDI Gran Canaria

That was fun, but I get your point.

No idea but a while back. I'm shite with names but shit hot with body pics "

A few years back I mostly just lurked in the lounge.

I joined in occasionally but like soulful said above, I generally found it to be pretty exclusive and unwelcoming.

With me, you're probably thinking of the more recent past

"No it wasn't just good for me it was good for everyone that got involved. That particular thread dan somehow and I've no idea how he managed it but he made sure he did his best to include everyone and believe me that's hard work when there's loads of old and new posters on..... I've no idea about the time you was on before but I can be pretty sure what your talking about didn't involve me. Unless of course you threw the 1st punch if you did then yes ok I probably threw the last..."

The reason why I posted this thread is because I'm on the inside now and can see that most people in here are just poking fun at each other and having a laugh. I'd also say that, for me, the main purpose of the forum is just to flirt and joke with women whose characters I like, and I honestly can't see why the thousands of other guys on here can't see what a massive advantage that gives you in standing out from the herd and actually having women reply to something you wrote! Wow!

But this isn't always how it looks to newbies and outsiders. They often don't realise people are just poking fun in a jesty silly way, as if they were mates. To them it often comes across as vindictive and riling and putting down. I used to feel I'd done well if I started a thread and, by the end, I wasn't receiving death threats. It didn't dawn on me that people were laughing at me for taking things they said at face value.

But unfortunately, for newbies, there is no context. I've learnt, through hanging out, what people's personalities are like on here. So when one of them posts a statement that's clearly out of character I know they're taking the piss. But there's nothing inherent in what they've written that reveals that. Broken's post earlier about how certain things he'd said made it clear he was joking was woefully naive. Someone could easily have said all the things he said and meant it. Especially on the Internet. It was only clear he was joking because of the context that we know such remarks are the complete antithesis of what he believes.

But a newbie doesn't have that context.

I'm not asking anyone to change or modify their behaviour. I'm just suggesting that once it's become clear that a newbie is genuinely upset by something that's actually just a joke surely there's a line that's crossed and at that point you let them know you're joking. That's almost certainly what your friend Dan would've done. That's how you carry on being funny but including new people in the joke at the same time

You’re on the inside? How do you get there? What’s it like? What is it?

"I'm not asking anyone to change or modify their behaviour. I'm just suggesting that once it's become clear that a newbie is genuinely upset by something that's actually just a joke surely there's a line that's crossed and at that point you let them know you're joking. That's almost certainly what your friend Dan would've done. That's how you carry on being funny but including new people in the joke at the same time "

I personally don’t think I’ve seen any threads (recently anyway) where a newbie has gotten really upset and people have just continued to wind them up. However I haven’t been using the forums as much these past couple of weeks so maybe I’m just missing things

Thanks fire blade. Yeah I've seen you on here over the years and enjoyed some of your posts. Don't worry. I have my bouts of being silly. I think others will vouch for that I don't take these forums seriously (who can? Haha). But I like the mix of people I've met on them and I'm not really interested in either trying to be the alpha male on here nor exploring the lowest form of wit. So I tend to construe "lightening up a little" as being both positive and fun at the same time. That's just the way I roll, after having lived in the US for a while. Positive vibes all the way baby!!

As I said different strokes different folks. We all post threads as we choose and reply to the 1s interest us. Personally I'm a piss take and welcome it right back. That was all I was meaning neither of us is right or wrong. "

I shall bear that in mind for the future. You cunt

"You’re on the inside? How do you get there? What’s it like? What is it?"

Platinum membership

"You’re on the inside? How do you get there? What’s it like? What is it?

Platinum membership "

Oh I’m not willing to spend more than a fiver

Manchester

No idea but a while back. I'm shite with names but shit hot with body pics

A few years back I mostly just lurked in the lounge.

I joined in occasionally but like soulful said above, I generally found it to be pretty exclusive and unwelcoming.

With me, you're probably thinking of the more recent past "

Not sure why but think we spoke about tattoos but I've not mailed anyone from outside the forum since this profile changed from a couples to a singles profile. (before some smart arse says different pissed doesn't count)

I know what your saying and it must have some truth as plenty say it but personally I don't see it or get it. We need new blood it's the only way it can service and with that in mind I try to help anyone I can.

Manchester

As I said different strokes different folks. We all post threads as we choose and reply to the 1s interest us. Personally I'm a piss take and welcome it right back. That was all I was meaning neither of us is right or wrong.

I shall bear that in mind for the future. You cunt "

No problem bolleck breath

"No it wasn't just good for me it was good for everyone that got involved. That particular thread dan somehow and I've no idea how he managed it but he made sure he did his best to include everyone and believe me that's hard work when there's loads of old and new posters on..... I've no idea about the time you was on before but I can be pretty sure what your talking about didn't involve me. Unless of course you threw the 1st punch if you did then yes ok I probably threw the last...

The reason why I posted this thread is because I'm on the inside now and can see that most people in here are just poking fun at each other and having a laugh. I'd also say that, for me, the main purpose of the forum is just to flirt and joke with women whose characters I like, and I honestly can't see why the thousands of other guys on here can't see what a massive advantage that gives you in standing out from the herd and actually having women reply to something you wrote! Wow!

But this isn't always how it looks to newbies and outsiders. They often don't realise people are just poking fun in a jesty silly way, as if they were mates. To them it often comes across as vindictive and riling and putting down. I used to feel I'd done well if I started a thread and, by the end, I wasn't receiving death threats. It didn't dawn on me that people were laughing at me for taking things they said at face value.

But unfortunately, for newbies, there is no context. I've learnt, through hanging out, what people's personalities are like on here. So when one of them posts a statement that's clearly out of character I know they're taking the piss. But there's nothing inherent in what they've written that reveals that. Broken's post earlier about how certain things he'd said made it clear he was joking was woefully naive. Someone could easily have said all the things he said and meant it. Especially on the Internet. It was only clear he was joking because of the context that we know such remarks are the complete antithesis of what he believes.

I'm not asking anyone to change or modify their behaviour. I'm just suggesting that once it's become clear that a newbie is genuinely upset by something that's actually just a joke surely there's a line that's crossed and at that point you let them know you're joking. That's almost certainly what your friend Dan would've done. That's how you carry on being funny but including new people in the joke at the same time "

But the last thread I saw that was surely in jest (it may have been about gender pronouns), it seemed to me the OP joined in with the 'in joke' there? So... Yeah. Do as I say? But not as I do... The absolute worst kind of argument

I relate to what the op is saying and it’s certainly the case that some of the forums resemble the worst days of the school playground but they can also be incredibly funny if you are in on the joke however if a newbie doesn’t get it then I really don’t think they need to be roasted so harshly....as my old dad used to say there’s no need to be a cunt about it son

"I'm not asking anyone to change or modify their behaviour. I'm just suggesting that once it's become clear that a newbie is genuinely upset by something that's actually just a joke surely there's a line that's crossed and at that point you let them know you're joking. That's almost certainly what your friend Dan would've done. That's how you carry on being funny but including new people in the joke at the same time

I personally don’t think I’ve seen any threads (recently anyway) where a newbie has gotten really upset and people have just continued to wind them up. However I haven’t been using the forums as much these past couple of weeks so maybe I’m just missing things"

I helped explain to a rather riled and upset newbie today that a certain thread was just a joke. They were clearly very narked and agitated by it. But I've also been feeling echoes of the way the forums were (not good) in some threads recently, which are definitely aimed at baiting newbies. Hence I wanted to get this off my chest

Manchester

"No it wasn't just good for me it was good for everyone that got involved. That particular thread dan somehow and I've no idea how he managed it but he made sure he did his best to include everyone and believe me that's hard work when there's loads of old and new posters on..... I've no idea about the time you was on before but I can be pretty sure what your talking about didn't involve me. Unless of course you threw the 1st punch if you did then yes ok I probably threw the last...

I'm not asking anyone to change or modify their behaviour. I'm just suggesting that once it's become clear that a newbie is genuinely upset by something that's actually just a joke surely there's a line that's crossed and at that point you let them know you're joking. That's almost certainly what your friend Dan would've done. That's how you carry on being funny but including new people in the joke at the same time "

Yes I get that and on the whole agree. Personally if I thought something I posted in jest was being taken wrong I'd try and pm them. On the other hand though if somebody's taken something wrong and then refuse to either take it how it was ment or refuse to let it go and then attack me if they are new or old I'll hit back 10 fold. At the end of the day we are supposed to be adults on a adult site you can't hold everybody's hand especially if they are being a cock.

What a load of bollocks.

Anyone with half a brain would read a few threads and see what it's all about. I was once new here, now I am not. I drop things into the odd thread that amuse me, some people get it others don't.

I don't think the forum is better if we all put on false smiles, careful pc language and artificially censored opinions. It may not scare off the new people but will kill the forums fun. And that is bad for all

Manchester

"What a load of bollocks.

Anyone with half a brain would read a few threads and see what it's all about. I was once new here, now I am not. I drop things into the odd thread that amuse me, some people get it others don't.

I don't think the forum is better if we all put on false smiles, careful pc language and artificially censored opinions. It may not scare off the new people but will kill the forums fun. And that is bad for all "

Yes I agree. You can't hold everybody's hand..

"Yes I get that and on the whole agree. Personally if I thought something I posted in jest was being taken wrong I'd try and pm them. On the other hand though if somebody's taken something wrong and then refuse to either take it how it was ment or refuse to let it go and then attack me if they are new or old I'll hit back 10 fold. At the end of the day we are supposed to be adults on a adult site you can't hold everybody's hand especially if they are being a cock."

excellent retort squire

I just worry because I can see signs of it descending back into bitching and chest beating again. Yawwwwn. I figured we were all here just to make friends and hang out. I didn't factor in that pulling newbies trousers down and laughing at them was part of the fun. I didn't realise that's what "banter" meant "

May I ask how long ago you were here before?

I don't think the forum is better if we all put on false smiles, careful pc language and artificially censored opinions. It may not scare off the new people but will kill the forums fun. And that is bad for all "

Again. Maybe take a mo to read my, agreeably whingebaggingly humungous, posts and you'll see that's not what I've been advocating. I've merely been saying that, like bladey, if it's clear a newbie has taken a joke the wrong way and got upset maybe try and reach out to explain you're just kidding. I'm not advocating censorship or modification of humour in any way

"May I ask how long ago you were here before?"

I've been on here off and on (mainly off) for about 5 years

By *m389Man  over a year ago

Bromley

Hi, I’m the boogieman.

Manchester

"Hi, I’m the boogieman."

See I said there was some scery fuckers on here

I don't think the forum is better if we all put on false smiles, careful pc language and artificially censored opinions. It may not scare off the new people but will kill the forums fun. And that is bad for all

Again. Maybe take a mo to read my, agreeably whingebaggingly humungous, posts and you'll see that's not what I've been advocating. I've merely been saying that, like bladey, if it's clear a newbie has taken a joke the wrong way and got upset maybe try and reach out to explain you're just kidding. I'm not advocating censorship or modification of humour in any way"

And now with the backtracking... If instead of continuing the joke you say nah chill it was a joke, then surely that is modification of humour? And indeed censorship if it stops further joking? Can't have it all ways. Can't please all the people all the time. But I see you like to try. Or at least be seen to like to try...

"And now with the backtracking... If instead of continuing the joke you say nah chill it was a joke, then surely that is modification of humour? And indeed censorship if it stops further joking? Can't have it all ways. Can't please all the people all the time. But I see you like to try. Or at least be seen to like to try..."

I guess you're coming from more of an Ali G "I'm gonna make you look like a wally and the deeper you go, the more of a wally I'm gonna make you look" type of humour. I think I ended the op with a comment that if this is what you're going for in your humour then we just disagree on what's funny and so you can ignore this thread. If it's in the op it ain't backtracking

The thread is meant for others who perhaps don't want to cause genuine upset to others with their humour

"More of a village bike then "

This is getting proper cringe worthy now.

[Removed by poster at 27/09/18 01:51:12]

"And now with the backtracking... If instead of continuing the joke you say nah chill it was a joke, then surely that is modification of humour? And indeed censorship if it stops further joking? Can't have it all ways. Can't please all the people all the time. But I see you like to try. Or at least be seen to like to try...

I guess you're coming from more of an Ali G "I'm gonna make you look like a wally and the deeper you go, the more of a wally I'm gonna make you look" type of humour. I think I ended the op with a comment that if this is what you're going for in your humour then we just disagree on what's funny and so you can ignore this thread. If it's in the op it ain't backtracking

The thread is meant for others who perhaps don't want to cause genuine upset to others with their humour "

Actually it's not my kind of humour and I spend most of my life sticking up for the underdog. What annoys me is ones like you, happy to join in on the thread taking the piss then virtue signalling how bad everyone else is. I pointed out the thread I meant earlier, I note you passed over my comment. Clearly some newbies did not realise it was satire, did you mail them and say hey it's ok it's a 'joke'? I don't know, that would be in private. I do know you never spoke up on the thread to reassure anyone that didn't get the 'joke'. Even though you joined in on it. So now you start another thread showing what a great guy you are, please don't rile the newbies that might not be in on the joke. Well the newbies reading this thread might want to see that you don't follow your own preaching. And that's what pisses me off, absolutely shameless white-knighting 'holier than thou' bollocks. Nobody is perfect. You just like to think you are

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

There's a real irony when people post to completely agree with you, who have themselves been rude sarcastic and agressive to newbies and hounded them out of the forums.

By *rReyMan  over a year ago

Waddington

[Removed by poster at 27/09/18 06:43:42]

Waddington

[Removed by poster at 27/09/18 06:45:11]

Waddington

It's that clique at it again, bunch of bastards I've heard they're horrible to newbies.

"It's that clique at it again, bunch of bastards I've heard they're horrible to newbies."

Nah, that's the other mob, bunch of bastards... clique are the nice ones that welcome newbies

Of course the clique doesn't exist, so nobody is nice

I remember those threads helping me when I had to stay awake to be picked up for the airport at 4:30am, that was in 2015!

Isn't that what the week of not being able to post is for when you first join. Keep reading the forum and find out who's who.

"And now with the backtracking... If instead of continuing the joke you say nah chill it was a joke, then surely that is modification of humour? And indeed censorship if it stops further joking? Can't have it all ways. Can't please all the people all the time. But I see you like to try. Or at least be seen to like to try...

The thread is meant for others who perhaps don't want to cause genuine upset to others with their humour

Actually it's not my kind of humour and I spend most of my life sticking up for the underdog. What annoys me is ones like you, happy to join in on the thread taking the piss then virtue signalling how bad everyone else is. I pointed out the thread I meant earlier, I note you passed over my comment. Clearly some newbies did not realise it was satire, did you mail them and say hey it's ok it's a 'joke'? I don't know, that would be in private. I do know you never spoke up on the thread to reassure anyone that didn't get the 'joke'. Even though you joined in on it. So now you start another thread showing what a great guy you are, please don't rile the newbies that might not be in on the joke. Well the newbies reading this thread might want to see that you don't follow your own preaching. And that's what pisses me off, absolutely shameless white-knighting 'holier than thou' bollocks. Nobody is perfect. You just like to think you are

"

So let me get this straight Jen. I don't practice what I preach because I posted a couple of comments on a jokey thread, noticed another person's comments on the thread was getting a newbie upset, but did nothing to heal the situation. Err... that is, unless I pm'd them and tried to offer a friendly hand... which you'd have no idea about. Therefore I'm a tosser just like the rest of them.

And you know what I did or did not do via pm how?

What thread did all this happen in? I hate being out the loop.

Manchester

Well there's a few posts gone AWOL but hey life's a bitch. Mss Wilks was it really that long ago. Can you remember what your name was then

Manchester

"What thread did all this happen in? I hate being out the loop. "

Haven't a clue but no dawt long gone

I think you need to take a break from the forums if what people say bothers you too much.

"May I ask how long ago you were here before?

I've been on here off and on (mainly off) for about 5 years "

I can't remember where I was going with this

"Well there's a few posts gone AWOL but hey life's a bitch. Mss Wilks was it really that long ago. Can you remember what your name was then "

Hmm 2015 I think I was SeaWitch then, was after Athena and before TeaBag.

"What thread did all this happen in? I hate being out the loop. "

I tried to pm you

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple  over a year ago

Planet Ork

Kiss, oh sorry wrong thread

Manchester

"Well there's a few posts gone AWOL but hey life's a bitch. Mss Wilks was it really that long ago. Can you remember what your name was then

Hmm 2015 I think I was SeaWitch then, was after Athena and before TeaBag. "

No idea why but teabags is the only 1 that stays in my mind. Think your right thought. I could mail you then to. Your threads never fail to entertain don't ever change

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

I hear what you are saying, OP,but also do remember that fabbers who have been around a while will know eachother through group socials etc, and will be friends.

Peehaps the best way forward would be to attend some of the socials, and get to know people yourself

Everyone has a different personality and sense of humour and post as such.

If you've got an issue with the topics certain people like to post then maybe just avoid them threads.

Some people are in serious need of getting a grip

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Forum hazing? Is that a thing? I despair when adults forget how to adult but that’s what admins and the report button are there for. That’s a long post that didn’t need writing imo. "

Here ! Here ! imnsho.

King's Crustacean

"Agree with you OP. Im sure it gives the clique a warm and fuzzy feeling. They ob need it. Bit sad really. "

I don't agree with the O.P.

I've seen threads started and join in on them but i don't see newbies being ridiculed.

I see the threads being started for the O.P. to enjoy the daft comments made by others in the KNOWLEDGE that all is tongue in cheek.

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

I don’t think new forumites get ridiculed, the problem is people read the opening post, forget to read the rest of the thread, miss all the interaction and banter (I know some of you hate that word) and then post something that makes them look a bit daft bless them

"I don’t think new forumites get ridiculed, the problem is people read the opening post, forget to read the rest of the thread, miss all the interaction and banter (I know some of you hate that word) and then post something that makes them look a bit daft bless them "

Common sense prevails

"I don’t think new forumites get ridiculed, the problem is people read the opening post, forget to read the rest of the thread, miss all the interaction and banter (I know some of you hate that word) and then post something that makes them look a bit daft bless them

Common sense prevails "

There have been a number of times lately where a poster will start a thread with a post that's deliberately tongue in cheek. Then everyone who knows they're taking the piss join in by doing the same. It's only inevitable that newbies, not knowing any of the people posting, won't know we're all taking the piss. As such, they often walk into such threads like lambs to the slaughter, looking to argue against an op who doesn't actually believe what he/she has written and then getting rounded on by people who are all taking the piss. These newbies are expected to wise up quickly and realise that it's not that they've entered a clique and everyone has rounded on them... but rather that they've stumbled into a piss taking competition and can quite easily deflect that by taking the piss back.

Yet many newbies do feel they've wandered into a clique and they often take being laughed at badly. This thread was partly incited by one such exchange.

I just can't see the problem with saying that when it's clear a newbie has become distressed by being rounded on, or that they're feeling unwelcomed, you admit it's just a joke, either on the forum or by pm. That's all the op was saying. What's so wrong with that?

This place is supposed to be fun

In the middle

"I don’t think new forumites get ridiculed, the problem is people read the opening post, forget to read the rest of the thread, miss all the interaction and banter (I know some of you hate that word) and then post something that makes them look a bit daft bless them

Common sense prevails

There have been a number of times lately where a poster will start a thread with a post that's deliberately tongue in cheek. Then everyone who knows they're taking the piss join in by doing the same. It's only inevitable that newbies, not knowing any of the people posting, won't know we're all taking the piss. As such, they often walk into such threads like lambs to the slaughter, looking to argue against an op who doesn't actually believe what he/she has written and then getting rounded on by people who are all taking the piss. These newbies are expected to wise up quickly and realise that it's not that they've entered a clique and everyone has rounded on them... but rather that they've stumbled into a piss taking competition and can quite easily deflect that by taking the piss back.

Yet many newbies do feel they've wandered into a clique and they often take being laughed at badly. This thread was partly incited by one such exchange.

I just can't see the problem with saying that when it's clear a newbie has become distressed by being rounded on, or that they're feeling unwelcomed, you admit it's just a joke, either on the forum or by pm. That's all the op was saying. What's so wrong with that?

This place is supposed to be fun "

Blimey don’t you go on

Common sense prevails

This place is supposed to be fun "

If the OP makes a joke post and everyone reads and understands it's a joke and joins in, but 1 person doesn't read the thread and gets it wrong, why is it the OPs fault?

In the middle

Common sense prevails

This place is supposed to be fun

If the OP makes a joke post and everyone reads and understands it's a joke and joins in, but 1 person doesn't read the thread and gets it wrong, why is it the OPs fault?"

Exactly, you can’t say it’s just because they are new, some people have been on here for years and still have their pants in a bunch over everything

By *idlandiaMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

This probably falls under pope's law..

In the middle

"This probably falls under pope's law.. "

Do you mean Poe?

"If the OP makes a joke post and everyone reads and understands it's a joke and joins in, but 1 person doesn't read the thread and gets it wrong, why is it the OPs fault?"

The only reason those who know a dead pan joke is a joke is because they've got to know the personality of the poster. Dead pan jokes don't read like jokes. They read as if the poster is being serious. The humour isn't in the text. It isn't apparent just by reading it. Dead pan jokes don't translate well into text. You can make those kinds of jokes with people who know you. But people who don't are *of course* going to read it at face value... of course. You know that.

"Blimey don’t you go on "

It's my trademark

Late to the thread! Sorry!

What you’re talking about here Fireblade is the “old” nocturnal thread, which always used to be on and thriving way after I’d gone to bed!

But I agree on the rare occasions I dipped in other Dan and Suzy did indeed do their best to involve everyone BUT I also see that on many threads today, like when the ‘bars open’ threads start up or the ‘good morning’ ones .. the OPs on those are equally as welcoming to all!

In terms of “cliqueyness” though I think that era you talk of was “Peak Clique” in terms of all the other threads outside of the nocturnal one - I had my one and only forum ban (barring a minor discretion a few weeks ago! ) a couple of years back for calling half the forum c*nts for exactly the type of pack hounding and mocking of newbie single guys that the OP is talking about. Nothing has really changed. Just the names and characters!

I think you’re looking through rose tinted glasses as you’ve lost a couple of good friends from the forums, as far as I can see it’s same shit, different day. Maybe it just seems tired and jaded now as it’s the same old, same old every day?

And OP, I see where you’re coming from. Some may say I’m part of the clique now (I try not to be!) but in my early days I was similarly ignored or mocked. On ANY Internet forum you’ve got to realise you’ll get trolls and cliques, so you have to ride with it. I see it on pretty much all the forums I frequent not just Fab.

In an ideal world it wouldn’t happen - but it isn’t a perfect world so whilst I know not everyone is made of stern stuff, you need to develop a little backbone to survive and thrive!

Gosh, that was a long reply wasn’t it?

"If the OP makes a joke post and everyone reads and understands it's a joke and joins in, but 1 person doesn't read the thread and gets it wrong, why is it the OPs fault?

The only reason those who know a dead pan joke is a joke is because they've got to know the personality of the poster. Dead pan jokes don't read like jokes. They read as if the poster is being serious. The humour isn't in the text. It isn't apparent just by reading it. Dead pan jokes don't translate well into text. You can make those kinds of jokes with people who know you. But people who don't are *of course* going to read it at face value... of course. You know that. "

Sure, the initial couple of people might know it's a joke and realise as such. But if everybody read the entire the thread then they might also realise it's a joke, if they decide to skip forward and make assumptions then they're stupid for doing so

"If the OP makes a joke post and everyone reads and understands it's a joke and joins in, but 1 person doesn't read the thread and gets it wrong, why is it the OPs fault?

The only reason those who know a dead pan joke is a joke is because they've got to know the personality of the poster. Dead pan jokes don't read like jokes. They read as if the poster is being serious. The humour isn't in the text. It isn't apparent just by reading it. Dead pan jokes don't translate well into text. You can make those kinds of jokes with people who know you. But people who don't are *of course* going to read it at face value... of course. You know that.

Sure, the initial couple of people might know it's a joke and realise as such. But if everybody read the entire the thread then they might also realise it's a joke, if they decide to skip forward and make assumptions then they're stupid for doing so"

It's cool Jaffa. The point I'm making isn't that people shouldn't do this type of humour. But rather that maybe, if they can see someone's got quite upset by it, simply to be kind and let them know you're kidding, rather than keep on winding them up. If you don't want to do that that's fine too. I was only suggesting it because personally I think it's a bit cruel. But that's just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes newbies dig their own graves and deserve roasting. But it's the whole baiting and then upsetting them thing that seems a bit odd for a place that's supposed to be chilled and welcoming

I agree with the op. Certain forumites love to belittle newbies

In the middle

"I agree with the op. Certain forumites love to belittle newbies "

Don’t tell me, it’s that “clique” again isn’t it goddam it (shakes fist at the ceiling)

By *alking DisasterWoman  over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

I agree with you 100%. When the poster takes the mick out of someone who genuinely doesn't know it's a joke, I think it's bullying and no longer a joke.

And I know I'm going to get roasted for that too...

South Oxfordshire

"For some there is no hope, that jaffa fella did one recently where he and 4 or 5 others repeatedly pointed out it was a piss take, and still people got upset as if it was real.

I think this is one of the few banter based forums that really doesn't get too far out of hand. The 175 post limit just sorts it out."

The problem is the way people read posts. I know that I read from the top down and reply to posts as I go. If you haven't got to the post that says (normally sarcastically) "chill out, it's a joke", you are going to continue to believe it's real.

Maybe we can create a Safe Space on the Fab forums, for the newbies and people of a delicate disposition to go to, where everyone is lovely and fluffy.

South Oxfordshire

I remember the first thread of Jaffas I posted in (on his previous profile). I'd been on the forums for a few weeks, but I'd not read one of his.

I was one of the first to comment and I was made to feel stupid for not realising it was a joke.

It's not nice to feel that way. Especially if it's meant to be a joke?

North west ish

"Maybe we can create a Safe Space on the Fab forums, for the newbies and people of a delicate disposition to go to, where everyone is lovely and fluffy. "

Or maybe the forums can be safe and inclusive for all. Including newbies. Not exactly fun when it's the same old clique frightening people off. Why should only the select few and those not of a 'delicate disposition' be allowed to join in? Forums should be fully inclusive. The fact this issue has been raised shows it's not.

So what IS the solution?

King's Crustacean

The forums are fully inclusive.

North west ish

"The forums are fully inclusive.

"

I must be imagining this thread then.

I think some folk are pleased to be part of a group and they will reinforce the perceived prevailing view of that group in order to remind the group that they belong.

It’s like mutual grooming between chimps and throwing the ticks and excrement at the outsiders...no genuine harm meant to the outsiders, just collateral damage in pack ordering. Oddly, that type of self-protection by seeking pack protection is possibly the most clear sign of a ‘snowflake’ mentality, which is what complainants are then generally accused of...

It’s not a Fab thing though, it’s an internet forum thing. The most vicious forum I ever joined was about Kindle Ereaders!!! Holy shit those bastards were brutal. They used to sneer at readers of ‘tree books’ (as opposed to e books, geddit...sigh) and beat (figuratively speaking) anyone from the forum who didn’t evangelise the Holy Kindle. Odd...

I think most folk aren’t really cunts, and would never be particularly nasty in person. But the internet can give us all safe licence to be cunts and turn those already cuntified into...erm..shit...I used ‘cunt’ too soon and don’t have anything stronger to demonstrate escalation of cuntishness...

In the middle

Are you saying some of you can’t recognise a joke thread? The replies by other posters gives it away surely? I’m not part of any imaginary group that people keep on about but I can see how a thread reads by the replies.

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Not meeting

Oh we miss those days!! And the people. 3 years ago.... it’s how Frank & I met

B x

"Are you saying some of you can’t recognise a joke thread? The replies by other posters gives it away surely? I’m not part of any imaginary group that people keep on about but I can see how a thread reads by the replies."

That’s definitely the thing to do, read all posts rather than just the op. Then you get a sense of the flow of the chat and know if it’s a series of in jokes/piss takes. People could still desist from being dicks though

North west ish

"Are you saying some of you can’t recognise a joke thread? The replies by other posters gives it away surely? I’m not part of any imaginary group that people keep on about but I can see how a thread reads by the replies."

But if newbies post first they are made to look foolish. Yes people will eventually get it's a joke thread but for once put yourself in that new persons shoes. Would you post again?

The imaginary group is very much there. Why people deny it is baffles me.

So newbies what can be done to make the forum more friendly and fully inclusive?

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

So is the general consensus that all newbies are ridiculed and not made to feel welcome? Or is it just the ones that present as ‘moronic’? Is this ridiculing only ever aimed at newbies?

"So is the general consensus that all newbies are ridiculed and not made to feel welcome? Or is it just the ones that present as ‘moronic’? Is this ridiculing only ever aimed at newbies?"

Perhaps the ones who ‘take the bait’ are seen as fair game. I certainly don’t think all newbies are attacked. I only come on here occasionally and I don’t get abuse.

North west ish

"So is the general consensus that all newbies are ridiculed and not made to feel welcome? Or is it just the ones that present as ‘moronic’? Is this ridiculing only ever aimed at newbies?"

Good question. Worthy of its own thread I think. I suppose the people to answer that are the newbies who don't post. Why don't they post? What is stopping them? What will open up the forum to new posters and get some fresh blood in here. Do the forums need promoting more? Certainly the rules need to he easier to find on the mobile site.

In the middle

"Are you saying some of you can’t recognise a joke thread? The replies by other posters gives it away surely? I’m not part of any imaginary group that people keep on about but I can see how a thread reads by the replies.

But if newbies post first they are made to look foolish. Yes people will eventually get it's a joke thread but for once put yourself in that new persons shoes. Would you post again?

So newbies what can be done to make the forum more friendly and fully inclusive?"

I was under the impression that it’s new people replyin to OP’s joke thread rather than starting them, surely if they start a thread themselves they know if it’s funny or not, I think you have gone off at a tangent, try reading the OP’s OP

In the middle

"So is the general consensus that all newbies are ridiculed and not made to feel welcome? Or is it just the ones that present as ‘moronic’? Is this ridiculing only ever aimed at newbies?

Good question. Worthy of its own thread I think. I suppose the people to answer that are the newbies who don't post. Why don't they post? What is stopping them? What will open up the forum to new posters and get some fresh blood in here. Do the forums need promoting more? Certainly the rules need to he easier to find on the mobile site."

I don’t use the chat rooms but I know they are there, it’s probably the same for other users, some like the forums and some don’t, simples

Jeez All this wheezing and complaining purely because I suggested letting newbies who are clearly getting upset by a joke know it's just a joke. Is being nice every now and then such a major hurdle guys?

"Jeez All this wheezing and complaining purely because I suggested letting newbies who are clearly getting upset by a joke know it's just a joke. Is being nice every now and then such a major hurdle guys? "

No, you should try it!

"Jeez All this wheezing and complaining purely because I suggested letting newbies who are clearly getting upset by a joke know it's just a joke. Is being nice every now and then such a major hurdle guys?

No, you should try it! "

Oi! Cheeky. Into the naughty room for you

South Oxfordshire

"Are you saying some of you can’t recognise a joke thread? The replies by other posters gives it away surely? I’m not part of any imaginary group that people keep on about but I can see how a thread reads by the replies.

So newbies what can be done to make the forum more friendly and fully inclusive?

I was under the impression that it’s new people replyin to OP’s joke thread rather than starting them, surely if they start a thread themselves they know if it’s funny or not, I think you have gone off at a tangent, try reading the OP’s OP "

I think they meant replying first to an OP.

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

I’m not going to spend nearly as long replying to this as I did reading through it.

I’m an occasional poster. I don’t necessarily know when something is an in joke when it’s first posted but with those threads, as with this one, I read it from the start (then often refresh the page to make sure what I’m about to say hasn’t been said in the three hours it took me to scroll and read) before I post. That way, I will generally get the context.

I’m aware that there might have been one or two rabbit holes I’ve tripped up on here. The thing is, I’ve been around various forums long enough to not really care, or I’ll injection some self deprecating humour as a follow up.

I used to work as a moderator for a (once) well known sex site and know from that experience how important new blood (or fresh meat) is. My experience is that if newbies feel they have been picked on - whether justifiedly or not, they vote with their feet. No amount of coaxing brings some back. Not everyone has as thick a skin as some.

Ask why there are so many lurkers on here. In a lot of cases, they don’t post, for fear of being ridiculed.

It’s not confined to fab. Just about every online forum has a clique - perceived or imagined. A moderator’s job is often hard enough removing all the illegal content (I’ve seen some things) without having to chastise users for not being as welcoming. There is a element of trust given, where those long standing members are expected to self police.

This turned into a longer reply than I intended. Shorter than it could have been for me.

Indeed, and ‘grow a thick skin or fuck off’ is a pretty vile motto to live by. There are many lovely gentle people out there, or people who have been through horrible things that none of us know about and are a bit fragile. To imply that because of that they aren’t worth knowing is immensely sad.

North west ish

I was under the impression that it’s new people replyin to OP’s joke thread rather than starting them, surely if they start a thread themselves they know if it’s funny or not, I think you have gone off at a tangent, try reading the OP’s OP "

I read it and asked a question related to the OP. Thanks for the friendly response advising me how to use the forums.

"Maybe we can create a Safe Space on the Fab forums, for the newbies and people of a delicate disposition to go to, where everyone is lovely and fluffy.

Or maybe the forums can be safe and inclusive for all. Including newbies. Not exactly fun when it's the same old clique frightening people off. Why should only the select few and those not of a 'delicate disposition' be allowed to join in? Forums should be fully inclusive. The fact this issue has been raised shows it's not.

So what IS the solution?"

A Safe space, so people who are offended by words in a box can go to if they feel triggered.

"Indeed, and ‘grow a thick skin or fuck off’ is a pretty vile motto to live by. There are many lovely gentle people out there, or people who have been through horrible things that none of us know about and are a bit fragile. To imply that because of that they aren’t worth knowing is immensely sad."

This!!!

"Maybe we can create a Safe Space on the Fab forums, for the newbies and people of a delicate disposition to go to, where everyone is lovely and fluffy.

So what IS the solution?

A Safe space, so people who are offended by words in a box can go to if they feel triggered. "

Yes, the person on the receiving end of unpleasant treatment is the problem rather than the incredibly emotionally tough person doling out nastiness to strangers on the internet.

I get where you’re coming from in a way but we were all new here once. I’ve not been on the forums that long but I soon worked out what was what. If it wasn’t for those people who post threads like that this place would be boring as hell in my opinion. We all have a different sense of humour though. But to be honest that’s life! You have a head, let things go over it.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

"Jeez All this wheezing and complaining purely because I suggested letting newbies who are clearly getting upset by a joke know it's just a joke. Is being nice every now and then such a major hurdle guys? "

It’s not a hurdle to be nice. The fact is some are genuinely nice people and some are not. The ones that aren’t seem to be saying ‘grow a set or do one’ ..... so very friendly. They take great pleasure out of others unhappiness, humiliation, belittling of, ignoring. It’s their fun and their time which is clearly more important and valid than anyone else’s. Those that shout loudest and all that malarkey. Sad fact about an online forum, it’s the people, not the place that is the problem.

The forums for newbies can be a very unpleasant place. I have friends that won’t come near because of it. If people just tried to see things from someone else’s perspective that would help.

As for me ... well I’m friendly, welcoming and polite and no amount of criticism from others will change that because it’s served me well in life and just because you can’t see the person in the flesh or will ever meet them, it is not a good enough reason to be hostile in my opinion.

In the middle

I was under the impression that it’s new people replyin to OP’s joke thread rather than starting them, surely if they start a thread themselves they know if it’s funny or not, I think you have gone off at a tangent, try reading the OP’s OP

I read it and asked a question related to the OP. Thanks for the friendly response advising me how to use the forums."

That’s ok, always happy to help

"Jeez All this wheezing and complaining purely because I suggested letting newbies who are clearly getting upset by a joke know it's just a joke. Is being nice every now and then such a major hurdle guys?

It’s not a hurdle to be nice. The fact is some are genuinely nice people and some are not. The ones that aren’t seem to be saying ‘grow a set or do one’ ..... so very friendly. They take great pleasure out of others unhappiness, humiliation, belittling of, ignoring. It’s their fun and their time which is clearly more important and valid than anyone else’s. Those that shout loudest and all that malarkey. Sad fact about an online forum, it’s the people, not the place that is the problem.

The forums for newbies can be a very unpleasant place. I have friends that won’t come near because of it. If people just tried to see things from someone else’s perspective that would help.

As for me ... well I’m friendly, welcoming and polite and no amount of criticism from others will change that because it’s served me well in life and just because you can’t see the person in the flesh or will ever meet them, it is not a good enough reason to be hostile in my opinion. "

Preston

As for me ... well I’m friendly, welcoming and polite and no amount of criticism from others will change that because it’s served me well in life and just because you can’t see the person in the flesh or will ever meet them, it is not a good enough reason to be hostile in my opinion. "

Love you Babs boobie woobies

I respect everyone's opinions who've posted on this thread. It has clearly revealed a dark thread which has resonated with many, both on and off (scared off) the forums. Some feel the kinds of threads the op refers to are just a joke and people should stop taking it all so seriously whilst others feel a genuine sense of having found them an unfriendly and negative experience. Both clearly want the same of the other... just to chill out and grow a funny bone.

I didn't really intend the thread as a gripe at anyone though. I like all the color the different characters bring on here. As I've said multiple times, I wasn't suggesting anyone change their approach or stop posting. It was merely a plea to think about maybe having a red line and, after a degree of ribbing and taking the piss, if it seems the newbie is getting genuinely upset or rounded on, let them know you're kidding.

The madness of this is that I'm convinced those who do these threads do so with fun intentions and not to be complete cunts. Yet it's obvious that, to many, they come across as cunts. Just a few tender moments of kindness, the odd genuine helping hand here and there, would be all it took to change that perception.

There is a world of difference between someone who takes the piss up to a point and then lets the person in on the joke and someone who just carries on poking and poking and poking and being a twat. It's fine if what you're angling for is the latter. I just assumed it wasn't.

Personally I find the true value of the forums are the beautiful people you can find on them. Not the "comedy gold" It would be lovely if more beautiful people joined in and were welcomed on here, sexy soft hearted women, cosy spiritual minded guys. It wouldn't bother me at all if the types of threads the op talks about disappeared. I'm sure they would be replaced by equally stimulating and fun ways to flirt and get to know each other. It just seems that, by making the forums are harsh environment for a newbie to step into, we're all slightly shooting ourselves in the foot. After all... I want to get laid sometime this side of new year

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

As for me ... well I’m friendly, welcoming and polite and no amount of criticism from others will change that because it’s served me well in life and just because you can’t see the person in the flesh or will ever meet them, it is not a good enough reason to be hostile in my opinion.

Love you Babs boobie woobies "

Love you too Pinkywinky

I think this should be on Dans new thread

Preston

Love you Babs boobie woobies

Love you too Pinkywinky

I think this should be on Dans new thread "

Oh yes on my way

It's depressing how many messages I've got due to this thread from gorgeous women who got shrugged off the forums. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot!

I guess they just needed to grow a pair of balls yeah? Shame. I kinda like my women without balls in general

"

Isn't that ment to be pull them down and join the fun

By *iss.HoneyWoman  over a year ago

The newbies need to look out for the sly ones.

Manchester

I've got a fucking headache after reading some of that lot. Jesus wet.

King's Crustacean

One of the problems (for me ) with threads like this, is that an O.P. states something they feel as FACT or something they have perceived as FACT.

I'm never too pleased with forum users being called 'cunts' because an O.P. doesn't like their style of humour nor for that matter do I enjoy hearing posters accused of being in a clique or being bullies.

It seems that weaponising offence gives some a huge pedestal on which to place themselves.

I don't hold with ANYONE being deliberately abused albeit verbally in a forum and that included those whose opinions and humours I disagree with too.

In the middle

"It's depressing how many messages I've got due to this thread from gorgeous women who got shrugged off the forums. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot!

I guess they just needed to grow a pair of balls yeah? Shame. I kinda like my women without balls in general "

Ahhh so you were championing the gorgeous women, not to much the gorgeous men tho eh?

"One of the problems (for me ) with threads like this, is that an O.P. states something they feel as FACT or something they have perceived as FACT.

I'm never too pleased with forum users being called 'cunts' because an O.P. doesn't like their style of humour nor for that matter do I enjoy hearing posters accused of being in a clique or being bullies.

It seems that weaponising offence gives some a huge pedestal on which to place themselves.

I don't hold with ANYONE being deliberately abused albeit verbally in a forum and that included those whose opinions and humours I disagree with too. "

Oh good lord granny. Talk about twisting people's words And who on this thread has claimed to be offended? It has always only been about some people making in jokes and going out of their way to taunt, trip up, and upset newbies

"It's depressing how many messages I've got due to this thread from gorgeous women who got shrugged off the forums. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot!

I guess they just needed to grow a pair of balls yeah? Shame. I kinda like my women without balls in general

Ahhh so you were championing the gorgeous women, not to much the gorgeous men tho eh?

"

Yeah fuck them

King's Crustacean

"One of the problems (for me ) with threads like this, is that an O.P. states something they feel as FACT or something they have perceived as FACT.

I don't hold with ANYONE being deliberately abused albeit verbally in a forum and that included those whose opinions and humours I disagree with too.

Oh good lord granny. Talk about twisting people's words And who on this thread has claimed to be offended? It has always only been about some people making in jokes and going out of their way to taunt, trip up, and upset newbies "

Oh good lord O.P. Oh good lord!

No one claimed to be offended someone else did it for them.

Check out your last sentence. You state that 'some people' go out of their way to taunt newbies, to trip up newbies and to upset newbies.

You can use semantics if you like to distinguish between 'upset' and 'offend' personally I can see why commenting on this post can't , .... not won't,be met with any logic or consistency.

Good lord tho... oh my... my .... oh my.

"The madness of this is that I'm convinced those who do these threads do so with fun intentions and not to be complete cunts. Yet it's obvious that, to many, they come across as cunts."

Surely it's pretty transparent here that I'm not calling anyone a cunt? I'm saying they're good people who don't intend to come across as cunts. But unfortunately some people think they are. I don't know how granny twisted that into accusing me of calling fellow forumites cunts

If you're feeling a bit flustered because a bunch of people have said they don't like you doing stuff like the op refers to then surely it's just a case of reap what you sew? I mean... you can't exactly tell others to grow a pair and then expect sympathy if a bunch of people say you're being a twat? Surely you're supposed to grow a pair too? Yes?

By *uteness69Woman  over a year ago

Walthamstow

I don't pop in here much.

It's a scary place if you're not one of the gang.

King's Crustacean

"I don't pop in here much.

It's a scary place if you're not one of the gang."

Honestly it's not. I'm not in anyone's gang nor are most people.

Pop in more. I'm sure you'll be appreciated.

Oh good lord granny. Talk about twisting people's words And who on this thread has claimed to be offended? It has always only been about some people making in jokes and going out of their way to taunt, trip up, and upset newbies

Oh good lord O.P. Oh good lord!

No one claimed to be offended someone else did it for them.

Check out your last sentence. You state that 'some people' go out of their way to taunt newbies, to trip up newbies and to upset newbies.

You can use semantics if you like to distinguish between 'upset' and 'offend' personally I can see why commenting on this post can't , .... not won't,be met with any logic or consistency.

Good lord tho... oh my... my .... oh my."

Oh jumping jehoshaphat Granny

You're seriously telling me you can't make a distinction between "upset" and "offended"?

You know we’re on a rock hurtling through space right, get a grip of yourself ?!

I'm twattish all the time so I don't care if it is a newbie or "Forum Royalty" (#youknowwhoyouare)

And are you mansplaining for us?

King's Crustacean

"You know we’re on a rock hurtling through space right, get a grip of yourself ?!

"

I'll grip yours if ........... yada yada.

King's Crustacean

Three

"You know we’re on a rock hurtling through space right, get a grip of yourself ?!

I'll grip yours if ........... yada yada."

Grip Mine all you like granny

By *uteness69Woman  over a year ago

Walthamstow

"I don't pop in here much.

It's a scary place if you're not one of the gang.

Honestly it's not. I'm not in anyone's gang nor are most people.

Pop in more. I'm sure you'll be appreciated. "

Oh I'm appreciated.

Fnarr, fnarr.

We are all hypocrites. And no OP, there’s nothing wrong with hoping for a little self reflection and kindness from everyone, ourselves included. People will take the sentiment however they want though, as evidence of whatever they want too.