FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > if your teenage

if your teenage

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *good-being-bad OP   Man  over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

Daughter (or son) asked you to help them buy a motorbike would you ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Absolutely no way !!!!!! That's insane !!!

By *ottie_84Woman  over a year ago

Nottingham

Yup I totally would

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

No I would go out my way to prevent them getting one.

No offence ment to bikers of course

By *etter the devil you knowWoman  over a year ago

Lyndhurst

No.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Daughter (or son) asked you to help them buy a motorbike would you ?"

Yes but only on the proviso that they are a sensible child,get lessons and I teach them how to survive on the roads on a bike.

It's dangerous for us bikers but the freedom is worth it.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

Nope.

We bought our son an old fiesta when he passed his test, but he has no interest in bikes, luckily.

If he wants to buy one himself at a later date, his choice, but I wouldn't be happy about it and I wouldn't help him financially.

No

"Nope.

We bought our son an old fiesta when he passed his test, but he has no interest in bikes, luckily.

If he wants to buy one himself at a later date, his choice, but I wouldn't be happy about it and I wouldn't help him financially. "

Ford fiesta

Already been asked said no he bought one anyway and had it taken by police a week later

It would depend on how responsible my daughter is at that age.

I wouldn't have an issue with it. I was going to get a hayabusa at 19/20, but then never took my tests.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It was my idea.

Cal

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

"Nope.

If he wants to buy one himself at a later date, his choice, but I wouldn't be happy about it and I wouldn't help him financially.

Ford fiesta "

Clown

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

At sixteen, you can start riding a motorbike. This gives you the freedom to transport yourself about to places, and a head-start on learning road sense.

I truly believe that being on two wheels in real traffic, especially whilst you're learning, gives you a much more cautious view on road use. I taught him to assume that everyone else on the road is actively trying to knock him off... hence it's his responsibility to react to potential situations.

Eight years down the line, he has had a few bike, and a couple of cars but not been in any accidents. He passed both tests with no issues and is general a sensible road user.

Cal

By *electableDalliancesCouple  over a year ago

leeds

Nope

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

My parents could not stop me, but they did insist I went on an RAC ACU training course which made me a pretty safe driver. Well, mostly....

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

"My parents could not stop me, but they did insist I went on an RAC ACU training course which made me a pretty safe driver. Well, mostly.... "

Exactly this ...

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Why not?

I had one

I did. Riding a bike on the roads until he could start learning to drive helped him to be more road aware.

Yes, I was nervous as hell when he went out on it but I guess it will be similar once he gets his car.

without a moments hesitation

leeds

I'll expand on my nope, I couldn't in good conscience be the facilitator in providing a bike which has an incredibly high risk of injury or death.

At least in a car you are protected by airbags and the chassis, so I'd try to steer them in that direction.

Masked and Distant

I honestly think that riding a motorbike (sensibly) on the roads gives you a much better road sense and awareness of surroundings, other road users and vulnerability, which are good when you start driving a car.

"At sixteen, you can start riding a motorbike. This gives you the freedom to transport yourself about to places, and a head-start on learning road sense.

I truly believe that being on two wheels in real traffic, especially whilst you're learning, gives you a much more cautious view on road use. I taught him to assume that everyone else on the road is actively trying to knock him off... hence it's his responsibility to react to potential situations.

Eight years down the line, he has had a few bike, and a couple of cars but not been in any accidents. He passed both tests with no issues and is general a sensible road user.

Cal"

So so true. And op are we talking 16 to 19 and a legal bike

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

If they adhered to the conditions of going through training, showing responsibility and saving to pay for fuel and upkeep then yes.

It would be the same for a car.

By *etter the devil you knowWoman  over a year ago

Lyndhurst

"I'll expand on my nope, I couldn't in good conscience be the facilitator in providing a bike which has an incredibly high risk of injury or death.

At least in a car you are protected by airbags and the chassis, so I'd try to steer them in that direction.

"

Nottingham

"I'll expand on my nope, I couldn't in good conscience be the facilitator in providing a bike which has an incredibly high risk of injury or death.

"

Unfortunately not always the case either

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

Not a chance!

Almost every guy I know who rides a motorcycle has had at least one fairly or very serious injury - and all of them know people who’ve been killed on motorbikes!

Even a metal cage (car) doesn’t provide total safety - but it provides a hell of a lot more than a bike!

I’d do everything I could to persuade them to opt for a car instead! X

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We did.

By *ockring91Man  over a year ago

liverpool

Yes, treated with respect bikes are a great way to enjoy your self

Approximately 80% of reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death; a comparable figure for automobiles is about 20 percent.

So not a chance in hell!

By *otplumMan  over a year ago

Margate

I have been a biker all my adult life, way back in the 70's broke my back in a crash, I was lucky I wasn't paralysed, it didn't put me off! there is no way I would help buy a bike for my kids

leeds

Unfortunately not always the case either "

Well no, but statistically your more likely to survive a collision at 70mph in a car than a bike.

Nottingham

Unfortunately not always the case either

Well no, but statistically your more likely to survive a collision at 70mph in a car than a bike."

Not always, that’s how my brother died was a head on crash and he wasn’t speeding.

leeds

" I have been a biker all my adult life, way back in the 70's broke my back in a crash, I was lucky I wasn't paralysed, it didn't put me off! there is no way I would help buy a bike for my kids "

That's really interesting, how come you don't apply the same caution to yourself ?

Not a chance in hell.

I get my kicks deliberately crashing cars , racing bangers , yes it hurts , but I still feel safe doing it.

Having been knocked off a 125cc scooter by some fuckwit on her phone , I won't be riding a motor bike on public roads ever again.

Ankle's full of metal and still hurts every step , every day 10 years later

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Hell no!

I spent 12 years on a bike, and that was 20 years ago, there is no way I'd let a child of mine out on the roads on a bike today!

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

My nephew is now 21 and got his first bike last year.

His parents neither encouraged or discouraged him, they allowed him to make his own decisions.

You can't wrap them up in cotton wool or live their life for them. All you can do is make sure they are fully aware of the risks and make sure that they do things as safely as possible.

My nephew has bought the best safety equipment he can afford and is upgrading everything to higher spec. He is mature and intelligent enough to understand that his kit is the only protection between him and the road surface and is doing it properly.

Mine has. I’m just hoping she fails the cbt. I’ve lost more friends in cars than motorbikes over the years.

So long as they have all the gear an good advice. I’d say yes. As the minute you say no, they stop listening

By *oxycouple28Couple  over a year ago

bexley

I would probably say yes... but only for a proper bike (not a moped!!) And also for the right safety gear as that's expensive and not something your should cut costs on.

Then the deal is they come out with me so they can learn to ride properly and safely.

Margate

" I have been a biker all my adult life, way back in the 70's broke my back in a crash, I was lucky I wasn't paralysed, it didn't put me off! there is no way I would help buy a bike for my kids

That's really interesting, how come you don't apply the same caution to yourself ? "

I started riding in the 70's and looking back there were lots less vehicles on the road and a lot less potential for an accident.

"At sixteen, you can start riding a motorbike. This gives you the freedom to transport yourself about to places, and a head-start on learning road sense.

Cal So so true. And op are we talking 16 to 19 and a legal bike "

Yep in answer to both.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

If I had children who wanted a bike then yes I would assist them.

First thing I would do is to book them onto the cbt course and then buy them the best safety gear I could.

I personally think that riding a bike makes you a better driver. I rode a Vespa on L plates for 3 years before I started learning to drive a car. I think it makes you more aware of bikers

Drivers are wrapped in a cacoon of safety features and WiFi these days,

The blind spots caused by foot wide euro ncap inspired a and b pillers is quite worrying, couple this with all the distraction on ecigs, satnavs, mobilephones an the like,

Your invisible to some motorists on a bike of any kind.

"

Cal So so true. And op are we talking 16 to 19 and a legal bike

Yep in answer to both."

if I had the money too help then yes. As long as they also brought all the gear.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

We helped our son buy a bike. The third time an ambulance man picked him up off the road he turned to us and said "somebody's trying to tell you something". His father took his bike keys away that night and the bike was sold. I picked him up from work each night from then on despite the fact that he often didn't finish until 11:30 pm.

My brother was seriously injured when some clown pulled out of a junction into the side of his bike. His broken pelvis and hip means he still walks with a limp and suffers pain.

Not everyone who rides bike crashes though.

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

No. Been there done that many years ago. To dangerous with today’s idiotic drivers.

I would be on call to my son for taxi use as I was lucky and only have minor damage for riding a bike in my early years.

leeds

" I have been a biker all my adult life, way back in the 70's broke my back in a crash, I was lucky I wasn't paralysed, it didn't put me off! there is no way I would help buy a bike for my kids

That's really interesting, how come you don't apply the same caution to yourself ? I started riding in the 70's and looking back there were lots less vehicles on the road and a lot less potential for an accident. "

And is it because you'd miss the adrenaline from it if you stopped now? Or just it's your preferred way to travel ?

yes of course I got my first bike at 16 for work still ride now. plus at least if you help you can make sure it's sensible and reliable, better than them just going and buying a death trap

"Daughter (or son) asked you to help them buy a motorbike would you ?

Yes but only on the proviso that they are a sensible child,get lessons and I teach them how to survive on the roads on a bike.

It's dangerous for us bikers but the freedom is worth it."

I’m 21, how do I have a teenage child?!

Masked and Distant

"I’m 21, how do I have a teenage child?!"

You can borrow mine

No. My son was told he will never get a motorbike and he never did.

My teenage son had an accident on his friend's motorbike and was lucky to not be seriously hurt.

In my opinion they are too dangerous in the hands of a lot of teenagers.

Your teenager might be a responsible rider, but there's still the other road users to consider.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

A hell of a lot depends on the person.

Why does she want the bike ?

Why does she want the bike ?"

She's seen a friend of hers with a bike, she still has to use public transport or get a lift from place to place. She'd like to be able to go places without the 'hassle'. ..

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

Most accidents happen in the home, of those the most dangerous room is the kitchen. My teenagers mitigate this by never putting their dirty plates away, never putting stuff in the washing machine, that kind of thing

I’m kidding, I know the statistics show clearly that you’re more likely to have a crash on a bike and that crash is much more likely to be serious. However it’s really good fun on a bike, a completely different experience to driving a car.

I would allow a teenager to get a bike as long as they got the right kit and did some further training too. I did CBT and then full bike test but I learned a lot from the training I got after I passed, that’s what makes you a safe rider.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

She's seen a friend of hers with a bike, she still has to use public transport or get a lift from place to place. She'd like to be able to go places without the 'hassle'. .."

Independence, the most dangerous thing a teenager can ask for but the one thing we *have* to give them.

I really wish that it was a requirement to take a minimum number of lessons similar to driving lessons. The CBT test is useful but hardly exhaustive.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

She's seen a friend of hers with a bike, she still has to use public transport or get a lift from place to place. She'd like to be able to go places without the 'hassle'. .."

Then yes. If she has the ability to upkeep it.

I'd have a say on which was safest etc.

And she's have to pass test and advanced tests and i'd make her have all the practise under the sun

And there's be a proviso that if she didn't use it id sell it and recoup my money.

It's a very good life skill and can lead to delivery jobs such as ..... blood and organ doners......messages.... pizza etc

Every skill is an opener

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Depends if they want to pull wheelies and ride like a twat whilst making YouTube videos. Then no.

No. Too dangerous.

By *ast_And_CuriousMan  over a year ago

Sevenoaks

That's nothing. Parents in America buy their kids a gun!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"That's nothing. Parents in America buy their kids a gun! "

This is very true. I don't know how the figures for gun death and injury compare.

No, ‘cos my son would be an irresponsible twat with it.

My daughter on the other hand, possibly, but I’d steer towards a car.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"No, ‘cos my son would be an irresponsible twat with it.

My daughter on the other hand, possibly, but I’d steer towards a car.

"

I think you've hit the nail on the head, teenage boys are risk takers.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I can't remember the last time I went out on mine and some cunt didn't try and kill me. I started riding road bikes at 16 on a fs1e nobody ever cared enough to try and stop me not that they could have anyway. My own kids are in a very different place to where I was but both have my stubbornness so I know full well trying to stop them would be the worst thing I could do. My son's now 29 and has always talked about it but never done it thank God. The way he drives his car is bad enough. My daughter is just 16 and only the other day was in my garage with me and was looking at the dt50 that's been parked in there for over 15 years now and said to me I could ride that now couldn't I dad. I'm worried like me nothing will stop her if that's what she decides to do. Thankfully she's a damn site more responsible than my son. As much as biking is and always will be in my blood me getting flattened is 1 thing it happening to her is quite another. I will be neither encouraging her or holding her back it's my only option.

By *igertigerCouple (MM)  over a year ago

cc hotel

Definitely not no if buts or maybe.

Margate

That's really interesting, how come you don't apply the same caution to yourself ? I started riding in the 70's and looking back there were lots less vehicles on the road and a lot less potential for an accident.

And is it because you'd miss the adrenaline from it if you stopped now? Or just it's your preferred way to travel ? "

I love the freedom and the adrenaline that a high powered bike gives me plus the fact I read the road ahead, not had a crash in 30 years now,

cc hotel

" I have been a biker all my adult life, way back in the 70's broke my back in a crash, I was lucky I wasn't paralysed, it didn't put me off! there is no way I would help buy a bike for my kids "

if they really want to do it let them buy it themselves.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

That's really interesting, how come you don't apply the same caution to yourself ? I started riding in the 70's and looking back there were lots less vehicles on the road and a lot less potential for an accident.

And is it because you'd miss the adrenaline from it if you stopped now? Or just it's your preferred way to travel ? I love the freedom and the adrenaline that a high powered bike gives me plus the fact I read the road ahead, not had a crash in 30 years now, "

That last line is the kiss of death

cc hotel

"My nephew is now 21 and got his first bike last year.

His parents neither encouraged or discouraged him, they allowed him to make his own decisions.

You can't wrap them up in cotton wool or live their life for them. All you can do is make sure they are fully aware of the risks and make sure that they do things as safely as possible.

My nephew has bought the best safety equipment he can afford and is upgrading everything to higher spec. He is mature and intelligent enough to understand that his kit is the only protection between him and the road surface and is doing it properly. "

I think there's a big difference between saving up and buying a bike and getting some one to buy it for you

Not just no but HELL NO!!!

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

[Removed by poster at 28/07/18 14:33:19]

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

no.

It doesn't matter how good a bike rider you are. It only takes one idiot in car, van, or lorry to hit you and your life is over.

...Up on the Downs

That's really interesting, how come you don't apply the same caution to yourself ? I started riding in the 70's and looking back there were lots less vehicles on the road and a lot less potential for an accident. "

And the bikes were a lot slower (thank goodness)!!

Nothing could have stopped me at the time but I knew of people who lost limbs and lost their lives so I would try to dissuade any child of mine.

...Up on the Downs

"I can't remember the last time I went out on mine and some cunt didn't try and kill me. "

Yes, the RACACU taught me to drive defensively, and safely (in terms of gear). I see kids driving too fast without even gloves or jackets on, bare arms, and it chills my blood.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Yes, if it's shared with me

"I honestly think that riding a motorbike (sensibly) on the roads gives you a much better road sense and awareness of surroundings, other road users and vulnerability, which are good when you start driving a car."

Deserves a medal! There’s too many oblivious people in there metal boxes

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

No as he doesnt have the patience to be in control of one, plus i have first hand experience of how a lot of other road users can be a danger to bikers i was only 19 when i had my leg ripped off due to a careless car driver whilst riding pillion

By *allSteveMan  over a year ago

Poole

Yes i would and I have. 125cc motorcycle. And for anyone that thinks I'm mad I dont care. It's much safer than being on a 50cc moped that can't keep up with the flow of traffic. Anyone that has ever been on a 50cc moped will know exactly how dangerous they are. At least with a 125cc you have some bottom end to pull away and keep up with the flow of traffic and not have to worry about a large truck overtaking and pulling you underneath on the way past.

I had my dad borrow his work van so we could go pick up a Peugeot speedfight. Fixed it up and rode it to college. Was riding home one day and there was a crash Infront of me on a corner, I rode over debris rear tyre exploded and it threw me off into someone's garden. Dad collected bike, we fixed it for the second time and I was riding it to college the next week (covered in cuts and bruises lol). My dad has had motorbikes all my life so it's not really a big deal for him, but I can see why you'd be nervous if you've never been into bikes.

By *iker boy 69Man  over a year ago

midlands

As long as its not a gsxr then yes

No! I did the motorbike thing against my parents wishes and had a near fatal accident infront of my dad (diesel spill on a bend). 4 years later and dozens of surgeries later im still not how i used to be, and it effected my dad.

Sadly the uk isnt made for motorbike safety with all yhe congestion and narrow roads.

My advice is they look amazing and the thrill of riding one is second to none, but one second of uncontrollable fate and it could be death.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Do not have children but my brothers and me talked my nephew out of getting one. I've known people who have had accidents on motorbikes. 2 have been fatal.

As long as its not a gsxr then yes"

Zx636r will do the trick

Bham

No way. Dunno about where you live but the roads in Birmingham are full of dickheads thinking it's brands hatch.

And if they wanted a scrambler to ride on the roads I'd probably disown them.

Yes nd I'd make sure they got proper training

Good question OP. We all bring our own baggage to this, so for me, probably not. I’ve lost one close relative to low speed, unprotected vehicle crashes, that’s enough.

By *eyooooMan  over a year ago

London

"Good question OP. We all bring our own baggage to this, so for me, probably not. I’ve lost one close relative to low speed, unprotected vehicle crashes, that’s enough."
ur ass is massive

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

My first experience on a bike as a child, sitting on Rob Haslams petrol tank & riding round his yard.

I learnt how to ride from the best.

I taught my eldest to ride.

Bought him a 50cc Vespa for his 16th, then a 250 Honda for his 18th.

He's 26 & now rides 1000cc Triumph Tiger.

Bikes are in his blood.

Bham

"Good question OP. We all bring our own baggage to this, so for me, probably not. I’ve lost one close relative to low speed, unprotected vehicle crashes, that’s enough.ur ass is massive"

Time and place!

By *hesexpeopleCouple  over a year ago

s wales

Technically I couldn’t stop them but I would try really hard to convince otherwise, I’m scared enough that they are driving cars.

No. I am however paying for their provisional licence and helping with driving lessons.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

My Dad lent me the money to buy my second bike (I've had 25 in total), and I paid him back at zero interest, it was about £500, which was quite a lot back in 1982

By *ondonFreakMan  over a year ago

London

My youngest wanted one, I think (hope) I`ve put him off the idea now, as he`s not spoken about it for a while.

» Add a new message to this topic