FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Forced sharing of hotel rooms.

Forced sharing of hotel rooms.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'd like to know what people think of employees who are forced to share a hotel room by their employers whilst working away from home.

Should every employee have the right to be able to retire to a place of privacy where he or she can make a phone call home without being overheard by a colleague, or sleep in a room where their co-worker's smelly socks or snoring won't keep them awake, or where someone can work late into the night without offending a room-sharing colleague.

Or should the company's budget for a given project be the most important aspect of the project. Where is line drawn between the value of a 'human resource' who generates revenue for the company and the company's right to maximise it's profits by forcing colleagues to room share.

Moreover, should an employee risk dismissal for refusing to share a room if they are completely uncomfortable with it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i dunno, claim ur muslim or something?

In todays financial climate the budget is the thing that keeps us employed so sharing a room would be something I would accept, if I felt strongly that I wanted to be on my own I would pay for a seperate room.

Just been lucky to keep my job when the company I worked for went bust, maybe if they had paid more attention to their budgets they would still be in business, watching the pennies does count

It can be a horrible experience sharing with a bad room mate.

I've experienced it for years and rarely had a room to myself and shared with some irritating twats in my time working away.

I understand that its all down to cost for a company to provide digs for its workers but a line has to be drawn for privacy and the comfort of its staff too.

One trick I found useful was to kiss the the offending room mate on the cheek, pat his bum and wink, then tell him that if he gets lonely in the night you have a nice warm bed for them.

It always got me a room on my own with all the creature comforts

i travel alot with work and always have to share a room, its the norm, and whats wrong with shareing

"I'd like to know what people think of employees who are forced to share a hotel room by their employers whilst working away from home.

Should every employee have the right to be able to retire to a place of privacy where he or she can make a phone call home without being overheard by a colleague, or sleep in a room where their co-worker's smelly socks or snoring won't keep them awake, or where someone can work late into the night without offending a room-sharing colleague.

Or should the company's budget for a given project be the most important aspect of the project. Where is line drawn between the value of a 'human resource' who generates revenue for the company and the company's right to maximise it's profits by forcing colleagues to room share.

Moreover, should an employee risk dismissal for refusing to share a room if they are completely uncomfortable with it?"

I have never had to and if i had to i would refuse. if they are making me go away for work they can give me privacy afterwards

Forum Mod

I can't think of anything worse than having to share a room with a workmate

Bad enough having to be in close proximity to some of them at work let alone having to share a private space with them

"i travel alot with work and always have to share a room, its the norm, and whats wrong with shareing"

nothing if you get on with the work mate your sharing with

but if it was someone i didnt like i wouldnt be happy with spanding the night in the same room as them

[Removed by poster at 16/11/11 15:44:10]

"I can't think of anything worse than having to share a room with a workmate

Bad enough having to be in close proximity to some of them at work let alone having to share a private space with them

"

Good news, Ive just accepted a post to work alongside u, seems they are sending s away on a trip to hedonism...its all work orientated... but...I dont think ud be up for it...shame....

"i travel alot with work and always have to share a room, its the norm, and whats wrong with shareing

but if it was someone i didnt like i wouldnt be happy with spanding the night in the same room as them"

understand that but hotels are getting expensive, espesialy in europe, so often you have no choice, and if you want the work then suck it up and get on with it.

Sounds like a right tight arsed firm, last time I went on a trip for my firm (one month in India), I got free room and board, full pay plus £5000.

"i travel alot with work and always have to share a room, its the norm, and whats wrong with shareing

but if it was someone i didnt like i wouldnt be happy with spanding the night in the same room as them

understand that but hotels are getting expensive, espesialy in europe, so often you have no choice, and if you want the work then suck it up and get on with it."

If a company puts in a quote for a job then part of the costs that should be factored in is if the staff to complete the job will be sourced locally or brought in from other areas. If it's the latter then the cost of putting those people in hotels has to be considered. If the company decides to bid low to get the work then it should not be at the expense of the comfort and privacy of the very people who will do the work, leaving the company's projected profit margin intact. Any company that bids for a job that low that they can't afford an extra £30/night for each of the workers who will do the actual work shouldn't be bidding for the work at all.

I've always had to share and with guys!! Female in male industry they do it to make me feel uncomfy- well my rules are- boots to be hung out window - cant stand the smell of wet steel toed boots.. And hands off- if I have to share with new person I always ask to speak to partner/wife and ask their permission- I don't want my college having a problem because he has to share with a woman- one woman said she was unhappy with it so we tossed a coin as to who slept in the van- I lost but got access to room to shower. Respect comes in many forms and the next time I had to share with him his mrs rang me and said she was happy for us to share the room- but after 4 hours of his snoring I went to the van for some sleep it's not a problem for me I once shared a caravan with 11 guys in Glastonbury and that was a smelly one- .. For a whole week- not a nice experience but well worth it to hear all the bands and the experience.

I think it's a very common thing for employees to be sharing a room and has been the case at places I worked.

In these days of austerity where the likes of Comedy Dave are asking people to be frugal and firms to be competitive it's understandable wouldn't you say?

"I think it's a very common thing for employees to be sharing a room and has been the case at places I worked.

In these days of austerity where the likes of Comedy Dave are asking people to be frugal and firms to be competitive it's understandable wouldn't you say?"

No, I wouldn't. Especially if one is asked to share with a member of the opposite sex, or with someone you've never met before.

Quoting austerity measures is a lame argument as even when times are tough some businesses are still thriving and if a company has secured a project then it should have done so as if there were no austerity measures. The people doing the actual work should be first and foremost when putting together a quote for work, as without them the work cannot be done.

You have to be a total primadona if you expect to be paid, accommodation provided and then expect an individual room. Ask any guy in the 50’s 60’s or before and they would laugh their arse off. Wait till the troops out in Afghanistan want a private room, the firemen working nights etc.

I know one thing and thats anyone who was so selfish working for me when costs have to be cut i would sack as you need team players to make a business work!

"I'd like to know what people think of employees who are forced to share a hotel room by their employers whilst working away from home.

Should every employee have the right to be able to retire to a place of privacy where he or she can make a phone call home without being overheard by a colleague, or sleep in a room where their co-worker's smelly socks or snoring won't keep them awake, or where someone can work late into the night without offending a room-sharing colleague."

To f*****g right they should

It probably depends on the contract. I think it would be dificult to justify mixed sex shared accom. You should not be sacked in such circumstances, but i've shared with blokes before and been put up on my own. Austerity is a crap excuse, the job should be priced up on the basis of accomodating thw staff.....

[Removed by poster at 16/11/11 16:42:23]

"You have to be a total primadona if you expect to be paid, accommodation provided and then expect an individual room. Ask any guy in the 50’s 60’s or before and they would laugh their arse off. Wait till the troops out in Afghanistan want a private room, the firemen working nights etc.

I know one thing and thats anyone who was so selfish working for me when costs have to be cut i would sack as you need team players to make a business work!

"

oh hes so masterful

"You have to be a total primadona if you expect to be paid, accommodation provided and then expect an individual room. Ask any guy in the 50’s 60’s or before and they would laugh their arse off. Wait till the troops out in Afghanistan want a private room, the firemen working nights etc.

oh hes so masterful "

Not really but its getting ridiculous what people expect from a job these days. I would rather the gaffer put 2 of us in a room than say he is having to let us go.

Not really but its getting ridiculous what people expect from a job these days. I would rather the gaffer put 2 of us in a room than say he is having to let us go

yeah totally agree --- just be grateful you still have the job 1 million other would love it

By *toneblueMan  over a year ago

Southampton

I had no idea it was common for co-workers to share hotel rooms. I have to stay in hotels most of the year and I couldn't imagine sharing a room with a colleague. It would be ok on an occasional trip perhaps but not for the amount of time I spend away from home. Staying in a hotel for work isn't a perk it's a pain in the proverbial and there should be some compensations for being away from your home, making you share a room is going in entirely the wrong direction, in my spoilt opinion!

This makes me realise how fortunate I am.

oh hes so masterful

Not really but its getting ridiculous what people expect from a job these days. I would rather the gaffer put 2 of us in a room than say he is having to let us go.

"

have to agree on that

to be honest it wouoldnt bother me to share a room unless it was someone i didnt like, i know we are adults and we have to get on and to be honest i do make an effort with everyone i work with but there are still some, deep down, i dont think i couldnt spend the night with without killing them at some point

"I think it's a very common thing for employees to be sharing a room and has been the case at places I worked.

In these days of austerity where the likes of Comedy Dave are asking people to be frugal and firms to be competitive it's understandable wouldn't you say?

No, I wouldn't. Especially if one is asked to share with a member of the opposite sex, or with someone you've never met before.

Quoting austerity measures is a lame argument as even when times are tough some businesses are still thriving and if a company has secured a project then it should have done so as if there were no austerity measures. The people doing the actual work should be first and foremost when putting together a quote for work, as without them the work cannot be done."

It's not lame at all.

Companies have to watch every penny spent and you denying what goes on in the world outside wont help at all.

Your argument seems to be for the company to quote with added costs because you don't fancy sharing a room with someone. What happens if they don't get that tender?

If you are that fussed about it and you feel the amount involved is so small, why not put your hand in your pocket and pay for a room?

You don't get this kind of moaning from our lads in Afghanistan.

"just be grateful you still have the job 1 million other would love it "

That would be the 1m people QUALIFIED to do my job yes?

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"You don't get this kind of moaning from our lads in Afghanistan."

LOL I work with soldiers and oh yes you do! The difference is they are more used to sharing than us pampered civvies.

I travel a lot for my job but fortunately travel alone so this hasn't really come up. However I'd hate to share, mainly because I do my very best to arrange a meet wherever I go. That would be a tad embarrassing if I was sharing.

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

Have to say the company I was recently working for recognised the need for privacy in your own time and always booked us in to double (occassionally twin) rooms for single occupancy.

"It's not lame at all.

Companies have to watch every penny spent and you denying what goes on in the world outside wont help at all.

Your argument seems to be for the company to quote with added costs because you don't fancy sharing a room with someone. What happens if they don't get that tender?

If you are that fussed about it and you feel the amount involved is so small, why not put your hand in your pocket and pay for a room?

You don't get this kind of moaning from our lads in Afghanistan."

There is a price for everything in this world and if a company cannot meet those costs then it is operating under a false economy. A worker has the RIGHT to privacy away from his work colleagues, and, even though the Working Time Directive does protect the worker from forced room sharing to a degree, there are still companies out there who will dismiss employees who refuse to sign the WTD. It is very much all the company's way at the expense of the employee. Quoting low when bidding for a job has the add on effect of driving the industry price down for a specific type of work, as I've seen happen in the Telecoms industry - but it's the worker who ends up with the lower wages, whilst the company's profits remain unchanged.

As for Afghanistan, that is a completely different argument altogether as it is ingrained in squaddies that they share a dorm with men who they may have to rely on one day to save their lives.

this would depend on were you are staying as your employer can claim £24 per night per person of his tax for over night stays up to 4 nights away from home so if you could find a B&B in the area you are needing to stay for less then £24 per night for a single room then there is nothing to stop you having your own room

"

You don't get this kind of moaning from our lads in Afghanistan."

Dont you? Didnt you hear the complaints about a lack of helicopters? Or that rifles werent working? Or that families were having to buy body armour for their serving family members? You werent aware that the yanks call british troops 'the borrowers' cos they never have enough of the right kit?

Aren't there any lassies in theater?

Didn't you know that the raf dont share rooms?

You can let your employment rights slide if you want too but if theres nothing in a contract, or in custom and practice then you dont have to do it

And refering to blokes who worked in 50s n 60s they may laugh at not wanting to share a room but they probably also laughed about sex and race discrimination too. I doubt they laugh at legislation on asbestos though or regs to reduce accidents or forced overtime for no extra pay.

Do senior management have to share too?

Its an unacceptable practise in my eyes...

I tried it once, and never again...

I feel entitled to my own space and privacy, afer possibly working 10/12 hours with some congenital fuckwit..its hard enough in the construction industry, away from home without having to contend with the added stress of sharing ...

Its a principle of mine to refuse..

Rooms are cheap enough..ie Travelodge if booked in advance..

"

You don't get this kind of moaning from our lads in Afghanistan.

Dont you? Didnt you hear the complaints about a lack of helicopters? Or that rifles werent working? Or that families were having to buy body armour for their serving family members? You werent aware that the yanks call british troops 'the borrowers' cos they never have enough of the right kit?

Aren't there any lassies in theater?

Didn't you know that the raf dont share rooms?

You can let your employment rights slide if you want too but if theres nothing in a contract, or in custom and practice then you dont have to do it

And refering to blokes who worked in 50s n 60s they may laugh at not wanting to share a room but they probably also laughed about sex and race discrimination too. I doubt they laugh at legislation on asbestos though or regs to reduce accidents or forced overtime for no extra pay."

George this thread is about Wishy having to share a room with somebody.

What does that have to do with our lads and lasses in the Forces not having enough helicopters or their rifles not working?

Or turning it back to the subject at hand do they all get their own tent in the desert? Amazing if they do.

My point really is that at times you have to muck in and make compromises.

Sure thing. Brother is ground crew n gets his own billet. he, an nco though. but he only stays at bagram whet he goes

all the squadies do muck in and get on with it but they moan like fuck about it. i talked about rifles n kit cos its germain to the argument.

it depends what job ur doing. when i was working on a building site i didnt have diggs so i shared. now if i were a woman theres no way id share with another bloke. the pertinent comment was 'do management share rooms'. the answer, of course is do they fuck....

[Removed by poster at 16/11/11 18:37:32]

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Moreover, should an employee risk dismissal for refusing to share a room if they are completely uncomfortable with it?"

There are some of my work colleagues that I wouldn't sharing a room with

Being serious now, I think if you are working away from home then you should have your own room. It's not right of them to ask you to share.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Don't take a job on a cruise ship if you value your privacy. 3 or 4 months with the same workmate can be hell if you don't see eye to eye.

"You can let your employment rights slide if you want too but if theres nothing in a contract, or in custom and practice then you dont have to do it"

There is the rabbit hole though, if there's nothing in your contract that states specifically that you don't have to share the company can say it's custom and practice that you do have to. Even if you have never shared on other jobs for the same company all they have to prove is that other employees on other contracts DO share. Then they have custom and practice.

"You can let your employment rights slide if you want too but if theres nothing in a contract, or in custom and practice then you dont have to do it

There is the rabbit hole though, if there's nothing in your contract that states specifically that you don't have to share the company can say it's custom and practice that you do have to. Even if you have never shared on other jobs for the same company all they have to prove is that other employees on other contracts DO share. Then they have custom and practice."

surely custom and practice has to have a history? How long have the company enforced this "rule" ? Have they any record of people reluctantly agreeing to it to avoid losing their jobs?

By * 4 fun bCouple  over a year ago

b,ham

think u,ll find raf do share accom,,especially wen in theatre

"You can let your employment rights slide if you want too but if theres nothing in a contract, or in custom and practice then you dont have to do it

There is the rabbit hole though, if there's nothing in your contract that states specifically that you don't have to share the company can say it's custom and practice that you do have to. Even if you have never shared on other jobs for the same company all they have to prove is that other employees on other contracts DO share. Then they have custom and practice.

surely custom and practice has to have a history? How long have the company enforced this "rule" ? Have they any record of people reluctantly agreeing to it to avoid losing their jobs? "

The law states that for something to be considered a 'final straw' in compelling you to resign from your job, the forcing of hotel room sharing, although serious, isn't serious enough to warrant a 'final straw' position.

I`ve always wanted to know if theres a minimum standard fer the living accomodation provided by a company ?

I was in Slough....the witless sectetary spent an afternoon, trawling the web fer accomodation....it transpired it was a doss house fer migrant workers..

I took one look without going in...and drove to a travelodge...phoned the sectetary and asked her to set up an account....she wouldn`t do it...the director did reluctrantly....after I said I was driving home....

Caused alot of bad feeling...

My only words were...you may not have any respect fer me...but I have..

Tossers..

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

If a company has alot of hotel expenses.... suck it and shut it.

A wealthy company probably wouldn't make you.

However, as many companies enforce the "sharing hotel room rule", I'd say it would be a disappointment but I'd put up with it.

I have a job, a good job and I am thankful for that. If they made me share a room, I wouldn't complain. The fact they were prepared to pay for a roof over my head for the night, and probably dinner as well, would be a bonus.

Anyone who risks their job in these times of austerity for something so utterly pathetic as sharing a room, deserves to be replaced by someone grateful for work.

**sorry, harsh but thats how I feel, especially when we are losing 1/3 of our workforce where I work**

I've never had to work away overnight, but have noticed when the MD's go, they get their own rooms, and they don't make the sales reps share, but when they send a couple of poor smucks doing repairs someplace, they have to share... even a bed before now!! so yeah I think that stinks, it sould be the same across the board.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Well.....

How about sleeping on the ground, whatever the weather, with a flimsy nylon sheet above you between you and the elements, in sometimes searing heat or snow and ice, surrounded by people who are actively try to kill you?

if that sounds like fun, just sign up to the Army, I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year!!

"Well.....

How about sleeping on the ground, whatever the weather, with a flimsy nylon sheet above you between you and the elements, in sometimes searing heat or snow and ice, surrounded by people who are actively try to kill you?

if that sounds like fun, just sign up to the Army, I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year!!"

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts..

When you join the forces you know what you are joining.

I wouldn't mind betting that people don't get told they have to share rooms when they are inter_iewed for their jobs.

I can't believe a company would make you share a room. Everytime I have been away on business I have had a room to myself. I have never been asked and would point blank refuse to share a room with a colleague. I like my privacy.

We're given £95 a night for hotels and £25 per day subsistence, plus overtime starts the minute you close your front if you leave from home.

People complain as it is, sharing is never going to be an option.

I admit to being surprised that people are expected to share!

"When you join the forces you know what you are joining.

I wouldn't mind betting that people don't get told they have to share rooms when they are inter_iewed for their jobs.

"

I wasn't given any hint during my inter_iewthat one day I may be asked to share a hotel room with a collegue... yes, you guessed it... I was 'told' I would have to share a hotel room with a MALE collegue even though I am FEMALE (I think lol).

.....they wondered why I refused and kicked up a bit of a stink

I ended up paying a supplement to have my own room and stuck it straight on my expenses.

brecon

"When you join the forces you know what you are joining.

"

Very true, had a job once where if I worked away I had to share, luckily it was shift work, so in the day I was in bed and the other guy would be working, and vice versa at night.

I guess it all comes down to who your room-mate is.

If you get on well and they dont have bad personal habits, or poor personal hygiene then it aint so bad, and in fact it could be a laugh, or you could be lumped with some complete hedge-pig who snores and it could be hell.

brecon

"Well.....

if that sounds like fun, just sign up to the Army, I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year!!

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts.."

Just pointing out, there's always someone worse off.

"Well.....

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts..

Just pointing out, there's always someone worse off."

Fair enough....tho it didn`t come across very well...

Comparing ourselves to someone less fortunate is ok..by me s`well..Orphans who sleep on the steets of Calcutta....many more isn`t there..

Most of my work over the last 10 years has been working away from home.

I dont mind sharing a room if its a big room in a nicer hotel. If its a B&B thats smaller rooms then prefer seperate. Works out about the same price and as self employed its my profit thats affected.

However, I dont think that employees should be forced to share. They should be given options.

I used to work for global company who had 2 systems for field engineers.

Claim £33 a night unreceipted or use your amex for a room up to about £70.

So, if there were 2 (or more) of us, we could share a room for £49 and make a couple of quid extra from the £33 each.

At least that was our choice, rather than been enforced.

A colleuge and I a few years ago shared a room in Benedicts in Belfast. As we were both self employed we were trying to save money. At 2am he bought a bird back to the room. I wasnt a happy chappy at all.

After 10 mins, I said 'alright love... dunno if Craig has told ya, but me and the Mrs are swingers, so I dont mind joining in with you and Craig if you dont?'

They left the room quite quickly.....

Try sharing with 20 blokes sometimes

Cyprus

"Well.....

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts..

Just pointing out, there's always someone worse off."

I've got guys currently in tents....... those that they make themselves from towels strung over an Army 'cot'.

Sleeping in their clothes, not washing and not shaving because they can't afford to waste their water. Thats of course if they actually get some sleep.

I have drivers who are sleeping in their cabs whilst waiting for mines to be detected so they can safely get supplies to those soldierss who are spending their days and nights right in the centre of the war zone.

So... I agree...... if you have to share, be thankful you actually have a proper bed and a roof over your heads.

Our armed forces in Theatre, especially those out on the front lines would be grateful for a 'real' bed and a roof.

Yes I know that if you sign up you understand what you are getting into, but it really sticks in my throats that someone can even say about knowing what they are getting into after the outpouring of love and understanding for rememberance day.

I say.... be thankful you have a job, a bed, a roof and a hot meal.

There are many, including the homeless and the armed services, who would gladly have what you have and share, without the whinging.

Cyprus

"Well.....

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts..

Comparing ourselves to someone less fortunate is ok..by me s`well..Orphans who sleep on the steets of Calcutta....many more isn`t there.."

All those who have just lost their homes in the Turkish earthquake.

Cyprus

"Well.....

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts..

Comparing ourselves to someone less fortunate is ok..by me s`well..Orphans who sleep on the steets of Calcutta....many more isn`t there..

All those who have just lost their homes in the Turkish earthquake."

Refugees all over the world.

Well said Maddy.

Puts it in a bit of perspective.

I stayed away in Slough....coded welding last winter before....outside with a tarp over me to keep the rain and gale off me ...in a cherry picker 60 foot in the air..

I lost money, (the agreed ammount was £15 a DAY all in)....and a stone and a half in weight....in 3 weeks..

Couldn`t dry my clothes etc...no decent food...shit bed..I could go on..

Shared one night with a complete twat....

And I should feel grateful...hmmm..no thanks....I`ll find work close to home..I`ve seen the health problems of travelling construction workers over the years..

Never ...ever again..

This isn't about the goddam army ffs! Army personnel don't book into Premier Inn Kabul. I was talking about Civvy Street UK in my OP so can we just forget the feckin army crap.

"Well said Maddy.

Puts it in a bit of perspective."

Yep, well said.

But I still would refuse to sleep in the same room as a male collegue... I wouldn't be comfortable and for sure my OH will be fuming understandably.

In the past I have spent a few nights in a mixed billet at Catterick barracks and not batted an eyelid because it was military and you do expect these things to happen.

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

HSE and other bodies says (cant quote) but along the lines of somethin/somewhere in line of what the employee has at home ie bathroom, bedroom. Companies who dont charge the correct amount to look after and send there workers away from home shouldnt be in business, we use Premier for our people, shared or none shared, we leave it to the guys and gals

please excuse what will probably be a stupid question

but i take it this is rooms with 2 beds in them??

I've only ever been put up in my own rooms the couple of occassions that is when i acctually had a job.

"Well.....

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts..

I've got guys currently in tents....... those that they make themselves from towels strung over an Army 'cot'.

Sleeping in their clothes, not washing and not shaving because they can't afford to waste their water. Thats of course if they actually get some sleep.

I have drivers who are sleeping in their cabs whilst waiting for mines to be detected so they can safely get supplies to those soldierss who are spending their days and nights right in the centre of the war zone.

So... I agree...... if you have to share, be thankful you actually have a proper bed and a roof over your heads.

Our armed forces in Theatre, especially those out on the front lines would be grateful for a 'real' bed and a roof.

Yes I know that if you sign up you understand what you are getting into, but it really sticks in my throats that someone can even say about knowing what they are getting into after the outpouring of love and understanding for rememberance day.

There are many, including the homeless and the armed services, who would gladly have what you have and share, without the whinging."

I can with all things considered say....those serving ...volunteered...my thoughts are with them, but I refuse to see them as victims...

I come from a service family...3 of us have seen action..so what ??..

It has no bearing on how I _iew Remembrance Day...ta very much...

Wanting and expecting abit of dignity in the workplace..enshrines the values people fought hard for..

I dare s`pose some will advocate...jumping into the gutter...as a sign of solidarity...I could go on ...but can`t be arsed...it ridiculous..

In this day and age where so many businesses are going to the wall its pretty pathetic to wine about having to share a room with a work colleague. So may are loosing jobs, pensions and some even taking a pay cut to keep a job to complain about having to share a room is self-centered as I see it.

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

Just goes to show that some companies _iew there employees merely as tools. So glad I work for myself.

"Try sharing with 20 blokes sometimes "

I'd give it a go

With China...singing the tune....commissioners and polititians all over Brussels are looking at employment laws...to benefit bottom lines on the balance sheet...

We have to get lean and mean..apparently...

What this will all end up in reality..is open to question....but things are in the wind...

"In this day and age where so many businesses are going to the wall its pretty pathetic to wine about having to share a room with a work colleague. So may are loosing jobs, pensions and some even taking a pay cut to keep a job to complain about having to share a room is self-centered as I see it. "

You're missing the point entirely. If a company has a contract employing 90 people with an annual turnover of £10.5m then it's harldy struggling.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I see no problem with it if the rule applies throughout the company.

I remember the annual quarter 4 travel budget slashing ... there was the usual reaction and rules applied to all.... well, except the senior people who still drank £30+ bottles of wine and enjoyed Malmaison.

"I've always had to share and with guys!! Female in male industry they do it to make me feel uncomfy- well my rules are- boots to be hung out window - cant stand the smell of wet steel toed boots.. And hands off- if I have to share with new person I always ask to speak to partner/wife and ask their permission- I don't want my college having a problem because he has to share with a woman- one woman said she was unhappy with it so we tossed a coin as to who slept in the van- I lost but got access to room to shower. Respect comes in many forms and the next time I had to share with him his mrs rang me and said she was happy for us to share the room- but after 4 hours of his snoring I went to the van for some sleep it's not a problem for me I once shared a caravan with 11 guys in Glastonbury and that was a smelly one- .. For a whole week- not a nice experience but well worth it to hear all the bands and the experience. "

I have worked away all my life including working on the rigs and working on construction sites,

I have worked for blue chip companies and one man bands,also had 2 companies of my own, and never once in 27 years in working away have I ever found a company that has forced a woman to share with a male colleague !!!!!

I don't even think it's leagl in emeployment law !!! may be wrong there.

If I were you I would check it oiut and have a word withy your employers.

Unless you actually like it this way then thats cool for you.

"In this day and age where so many businesses are going to the wall its pretty pathetic to wine about having to share a room with a work colleague. So may are loosing jobs, pensions and some even taking a pay cut to keep a job to complain about having to share a room is self-centered as I see it. "

I should be grateful fer being a couple of hundred quid out of pocket..?

Run down and losing a stone and a half..?

And missing every aspect of my personal life..?

For 3 weeks slog...I would expect a thank you s`well..huh !!!

And I should consider myself grateful and self centred in turns..

Thats wonderful...just wonderful...

"In this day and age where so many businesses are going to the wall its pretty pathetic to wine about having to share a room with a work colleague. So may are loosing jobs, pensions and some even taking a pay cut to keep a job to complain about having to share a room is self-centered as I see it.

You're missing the point entirely. If a company has a contract employing 90 people with an annual turnover of £10.5m then it's harldy struggling."

But Wishy if we wish to remain competitive in the international business-type arena this type of pigacy has to be curtailed.

Times are changing and businesses have to keep costs to an absolute minimum.

"In this day and age where so many businesses are going to the wall its pretty pathetic to wine about having to share a room with a work colleague. So may are loosing jobs, pensions and some even taking a pay cut to keep a job to complain about having to share a room is self-centered as I see it.

You're missing the point entirely. If a company has a contract employing 90 people with an annual turnover of £10.5m then it's harldy struggling."

Turnover is not profit though and the company may not be making any profit or very little. Maybe you are missing the point or didn't discuss or understand circumstances focusing purely on yourself and what you get out of it.

Surely they wouldn't expect you to share with the opposite sex and especially with someone you didn't know.

What about personal safety?

If travelling is expected as part of the job, then I would request to see the travelling and expenses policy before I accept the job.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

If on day One of employment you were given a written undertaking that when working away from home you would be getting single accommodation at all times, or it was written into your contract of employment, and then subsequently changed at a later date without reasonable consultation with yourself....then and only then would you have a case you were likely to win in court as regards constructive dismissal.

If however you have no recorded proof of this being a company policy that has been changed without reasonable consultation with yourself.....then it is not really much of case that is worthy of winning in court.

Common practice is unlkely to win a constructive dismissal case for you, particularly if overnight stays were not a very regular occurance.

They have not taken your employment rights away from you if it wasn't recorded (written) working practice in the first place.

Was it ever in your contract of employment Wishy?

Any term of a contract can be changed by giving notice of that change. I don't think you can challenge these changes either. You either accept them or you don't. If you don't you are entitled to leave that employment.

As Jane says, some changes are unlikely to be deemed as being grounds for constructive unfair dissmissal

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Anyone who refuses to share a room because they want their privacy may have a point, but to lose a job over it? Sheer stupidity! I would much rather be earning a wage and paying in part for a room, than to be sacked and have nothing coming in!

So a company has 90 on a contract and a turnover of 10.5 mil. Turnover does NOT mean profit... To give each a separate room would cost an extra £4500 per night at £50 per night. Factor that into the cost of the job and bang! Contract missed, that way there would be no jobs anyway! If it was a 12 month contract and half the workforce in total had to stay away, that is an extra £500,000.

It is also amusing to read all this “the bosses should do the same as the workers” crap! Why should the boss or bosses, who have worked their way up the corporate ladder or having started their own business, have the same conditions and a wrench jockey in the workshop? I didn’t start my business to become a Laissez-Faire Leadership. My business, my rules! I am the one who puts it on the line every day and I am the one who gets the lions share of the perks.

I will no doubt get the “I’d never work for you” comments, but if you think that without finding out what the deal is, I wouldn’t want you! I pay the highest equivalent wage in the area and get on well with all, but they would still share hotel rooms! End of…

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

I haven't read any of the posts - naughty I know! I do work away from home from time to time and have never been expected to share a room, I would refuse point blank. It's my time, who should I give up my privacy as well? No way would any employer be able to sack any one for wanting to have their own room. Z

Torquay

"I haven't read any of the posts - naughty I know! I do work away from home from time to time and have never been expected to share a room, I would refuse point blank. It's my time, who should I give up my privacy as well? No way would any employer be able to sack any one for wanting to have their own room. Z"

.....You mean 'Should' and not 'Would' don't you?

And Wishy wasn't sacked, he jumped ship and is/was suing his former employers for constructive dismissal.

I respect his right to stand up for what he sees as his working rights, and he was/will be proved right or foolish to do so depending on the outcome....

But he did have the courage of his convictions and stuck to his principals....which many don't have.

Bolton

[Removed by poster at 16/11/11 22:33:46]

Bolton

"I haven't read any of the posts - naughty I know! I do work away from home from time to time and have never been expected to share a room, I would refuse point blank. It's my time, who should I give up my privacy as well? No way would any employer be able to sack any one for wanting to have their own room. Z

And Wishy wasn't sacked, he jumped ship and is/was suing his former employers for constructive dismissal.

I respect his right to stand up for what he sees as his working rights, and he was/will be proved right or foolish to do so depending on the outcome....

But he did have the courage of his convictions and stuck to hi

Should have been why not who! I'd also stick up for my right to privacy and if someone has lost their job for not wanting to share a hotel room, I'd back them to the hilt. Zs principals....which many don't have."

Bolton

my post keeps getting mixed up with janes'! hope it makes sense! Z

By *ugartitsandhimCouple  over a year ago

North West

Just leave the company if your not happy

"please excuse what will probably be a stupid question

but i take it this is rooms with 2 beds in them??

I've only ever been put up in my own rooms the couple of occassions that is when i acctually had a job."

A twin room with a male collegue is not an option.

30 male soldiers sharing a billet/dorm with 10 lady's in the TA.... a totally different story!

I've experienced the TA bit... I will NEVER experience the male/female room share with a collegue... it's just not right for those (like myself) that find the thought uncomfortable

Torquay

Moreover, should an employee risk dismissal for refusing to share a room if they are completely uncomfortable with it?

Just leave the company if your not happy "

He did......

I'd rather sleep in a cardboard box than share a room with ANYbody. I value my own space, time and privacy too much to share. I think it stems from a childhood with 5 to a bedroom. I bloody hated it. I've never lived with anyone, not even a partner, so I bloody well wouldn't share a room with a work colleague or any body else. Not by choice and I certainly wouldn't be forced to. On the odd occasion that I have done so, I've not slept and have then been a grumpy so and so the next day. And that has been sharing with Family or a friend. Sod the work colleague. I'm with the OP. You shouldn't HAVE to share with ANY one. The company who has you work away should hold you in high enough regard that they allow for your comfort in your own time. I didn't even like sharing a hospital ward when I was a guest of the NHS. I did eventually get a room on my own, but only after I threatened to sit in the hallway. Not a good idea after major surgery, lol.

Those that don't mind sharing, good on you. Those that do mind, shouldn't be made to.

Hippo x

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"I respect his right to stand up for what he sees as his working rights, and he was/will be proved right or foolish to do so depending on the outcome....

But he did have the courage of his convictions and stuck to his principals....which many don't have."

Reading between the lines, it may already have been decided, if not in judgement then in expected outcome! To post this if the case is still going on would be just a little unwise to say the least. Also, trying to garner support at this late stage would suggest to me that the op is about trying to make themselves feel better.

I hope not, life can be pretty tough when there is a shortage of money, but at least Wishy is doing something positive about his postition and I (we) wish him well with the Alternative Energy course he is on.

brecon

"Well.....

hahaha...ah jeez !!...

MOD ..hair shirts..

There are many, including the homeless and the armed services, who would gladly have what you have and share, without the whinging.

I can with all things considered say....those serving ...volunteered...my thoughts are with them, but I refuse to see them as victims...

I come from a service family...3 of us have seen action..so what ??..

It has no bearing on how I _iew Remembrance Day...ta very much...

Wanting and expecting abit of dignity in the workplace..enshrines the values people fought hard for..

I dare s`pose some will advocate...jumping into the gutter...as a sign of solidarity...I could go on ...but can`t be arsed...it ridiculous..

"

Alright dude, calm down, I only tried to point out that there are others worse off.

I'm in complete agreement that soldiers fought for the freedoms we enjoy, such as the right to be treated with dignity and respect when working, and that exercising that right is perfectly acceptable too.

I also take on board the point that "they know what they are signing up for", but, do they really?

As someone on the list to go to Afgan next year, I pay particular attention to what is going on out there, I watch lots of documentaries about the "frontline", I see the conditions..... however, when you speak to someone who fought an average of four engagements a day for two weeks (one engagement lasted for 12 hours) defending a small FOB that he was manning, when they were down to their last 50 rounds per man, (when they were getting through about 300 a time during firefights) when for a week they were restricted to 1 litre of water a day in daytime temps of 40 degrees plus, when the OC came around telling all the guys to write their last letters as "we might not make it out"..... can you really say "you knew what you were getting into?". I have spoken to men who were there, and they never expected that!

In truth, no matter how well you prepare, the reality will always be worse... sleeping rough for weeks at a stretch sounds like "boys own" camping, a bit of fun.... it aint.

One last point.

having done it once, you would think that they had "done their bit", but many are going back for two, or even more "turns at the wheel"... and this time they know what to expect... and they still do it.

Sorry to bang on about it, I've lost friends, so certain comments tend to make me a bit "gobby" about this subject, I'll put the soapbox away now.

Cyprus

I didn't make this about the army. What I, and a few others were trying to do, was say that if a company choses to make it's employee's share......... is it really so bad?

You still have a bed

A roof over your head

Heating

Lighting

Food

Are we, as a nation, so selfish that we can't see that we have everything in this country......... and there are millions with nothing who would love to sleep in a real bed, have food, have warmth, have a roof.

I don't agree with the forcement of different sexes sharing, can't see the partners agreeing, but I do agree with saving money if each person (same sex) has their own bed.

I, myself, will be sharing a dormitory with 30 others for 6 months next year..... in Afghanistan.

I ain't gonna be moaning.

Bolton

"I didn't make this about the army. What I, and a few others were trying to do, was say that if a company choses to make it's employee's share......... is it really so bad?

You still have a bed

A roof over your head

Heating

Lighting

Food

Are we, as a nation, so selfish that we can't see that we have everything in this country......... and there are millions with nothing who would love to sleep in a real bed, have food, have warmth, have a roof.

I don't agree with the forcement of different sexes sharing, can't see the partners agreeing, but I do agree with saving money if each person (same sex) has their own bed.

I, myself, will be sharing a dormitory with 30 others for 6 months next year..... in Afghanistan.

I ain't gonna be moaning."

If you choose the share a dormitory - that's your choice - when I work away from home I want privacy and the opportunity to use the toilet without a stranger being able to listen to me, sleep without having to listen to a stranger snoring and farting - I have work colleagues who i like and respect in the main - I don't want to share a room with them! Z

Cyprus

"I didn't make this about the army. What I, and a few others were trying to do, was say that if a company choses to make it's employee's share......... is it really so bad?

You still have a bed

A roof over your head

Heating

Lighting

Food

If you choose the share a dormitory - that's your choice - when I work away from home I want privacy and the opportunity to use the toilet without a stranger being able to listen to me, sleep without having to listen to a stranger snoring and farting - I have work colleagues who i like and respect in the main - I don't want to share a room with them! Z"

Yes..... it's my choice and one I will gladly undertake.

Lets look at this another way.

If a small/medium company has say 10 people in hotels 5 nights a week, 51 weeks of the year at a cost of approximately £65 per night including breakfast.

Thats £165750 per year.

The company is forced to cut costs.

Do they look at halving their hotel costs or losing 4 staff who are on £20k per year or 2 staff on £40k per year and are within the 10 who use the hotels the most?

I know where I'd cut costs.

Bolton

You still have a bed

A roof over your head

Heating

Lighting

Food

If you choose the share a dormitory - that's your choice - when I work away from home I want privacy and the opportunity to use the toilet without a stranger being able to listen to me, sleep without having to listen to a stranger snoring and farting - I have work colleagues who i like and respect in the main - I don't want to share a room with them! Z

Yes..... it's my choice and one I will gladly undertake.

Lets look at this another way.

If a small/medium company has say 10 people in hotels 5 nights a week, 51 weeks of the year at a cost of approximately £65 per night including breakfast.

Thats £165750 per year.

The company is forced to cut costs.

Do they look at halving their hotel costs or losing 4 staff who are on £20k per year or 2 staff on £40k per year and are within the 10 who use the hotels the most?

I know where I'd cut costs."

Fair enough, I still wouldn't share a room! I had to spend all last week away - Sunday to Friday so I gave up lots of my own time so I felt I was entitled to my privacy, I do like to fart in the mornings! I'm also away tomorrow night, once again will have my own room, it's only fair I think! Z

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I would say all firms will try to cut costs somewhere and when they tender for jobs I am sure they try and be the most value to get the tender...which may mean they budget for the lowest costs if hotels have to be paid for.

If you are getting a good wage but have to share a room so they can still pay your wages then at least you have a good wage to pay for an extra room if a farting/ snoring workmate isn't who you want to share with.

I am not sure why the army lads keep getting brought up though.

We share while away and i have no probs with it. Would rather that than take a pay cut and i am away for up to 3 weeks. Some want it all though but think on if you have a room mate you have someone to wipe your arse for you.

"

I have worked away all my life including working on the rigs and working on construction sites,

I have worked for blue chip companies and one man bands,also had 2 companies of my own, and never once in 27 years in working away have I ever found a company that has forced a woman to share with a male colleague !!!!!

I don't even think it's leagl in emeployment law !!! may be wrong there.

If I were you I would check it oiut and have a word withy your employers.

Unless you actually like it this way then thats cool for you.

"

It's slightly different for me/ I'm self employed like the people I work with/ mostly and we are employed to do a job- the accomodation is provided and we have no choice about where when or who we share with most times not knowing where we are staying until the very last second. - most jobs in my industry come like that and to be honest there are only a few ladies doing my job and I have never actually worked with either of them in 13 years- we just have to share if we want the work. I do feel uncomfy some times but I'm sure my male colleagues do when they find out they have to share with a lady.

I never had a problem bunking up when I was on courses

Pretty fookin interesting one time lol xx

Torquay

"I never had a problem bunking up when I was on courses

Pretty fookin interesting one time lol xx"

Yeah but you can fit in the bottom of a wardrobe....

Bolton

"We share while away and i have no probs with it. Would rather that than take a pay cut and i am away for up to 3 weeks. Some want it all though but think on if you have a room mate you have someone to wipe your arse for you. "

I think that if your job requires you to be away on a regular basis and is part and parcel of your 'package' then to share may be a legitimate way to save the company money and stay in business - in my situation it isn't part of my job so when I am asked to stay away from home I expect privacy and a certain amount of 'luxury' - ie. my own bathroom and room service! Z

"I never had a problem bunking up when I was on courses

Pretty fookin interesting one time lol xx

Yeah but you can fit in the bottom of a wardrobe.... "

Xx

You have to laugh at this thread! Fucking swingers complaining about sharing a room with strangers! Come on you fuckers its a free room ok no sex but you buggers shouldn't be shy! Im taking notes and not meeting any of you lot who are shy to share as you cant be "real swingers"

Bolton

"You have to laugh at this thread! Fucking swingers complaining about sharing a room with strangers! Come on you fuckers its a free room ok no sex but you buggers shouldn't be shy! Im taking notes and not meeting any of you lot who are shy to share as you cant be "real swingers" "

I'm not shy, just like my privacy! I bring in a lot of money for my company and if they want me to spend time away from my home then they can pay for it and make sure it's comfortable! Swinging is a separate thing for me to work! Z

"You have to laugh at this thread! Fucking swingers complaining about sharing a room with strangers! Come on you fuckers its a free room ok no sex but you buggers shouldn't be shy! Im taking notes and not meeting any of you lot who are shy to share as you cant be "real swingers"

I'm not shy, just like my privacy! I bring in a lot of money for my company and if they want me to spend time away from my home then they can pay for it and make sure it's comfortable! Swinging is a separate thing for me to work! Z "

So you don't suck your clients cock! Im not doing work with your lot then

Well i bring in millions for work and dont mind sharing if necessary.

Bolton

"You have to laugh at this thread! Fucking swingers complaining about sharing a room with strangers! Come on you fuckers its a free room ok no sex but you buggers shouldn't be shy! Im taking notes and not meeting any of you lot who are shy to share as you cant be "real swingers"

I'm not shy, just like my privacy! I bring in a lot of money for my company and if they want me to spend time away from my home then they can pay for it and make sure it's comfortable! Swinging is a separate thing for me to work! Z

Well i bring in millions for work and dont mind sharing if necessary. "

lol - no I won't suck a clients cock, why would I? - good for you. Z

"I haven't read any of the posts - naughty I know! I do work away from home from time to time and have never been expected to share a room, I would refuse point blank. It's my time, who should I give up my privacy as well? No way would any employer be able to sack any one for wanting to have their own room. Z

But he did have the courage of his convictions and stuck to his principals....which many don't have."

To clarify a few things, I didn't post the circumstances of my case in the opening post as I was interested more in whether people felt that being forced to room share with a colleague was fundamentally wrong regardless of the circumstances of it.

However, as specualtion regarding my case has been mentioned, I'll elaborate a little further but will have to be sparse with the full details.

It's not a secret that I was paid to stay at home for 7 months last year because the job I was employed to do had been put on hold, and, being one of only 12 engineers in the country trained to do it, the company didn't want to lose me.

That all changed in November last year when it was decided that my situation was intolerable by both myself and the company and I was sent back to work under a different line manager doing a job far benesth my skill level. It was compunded further by my new line manager telling me that he didn't want me on his team, that he was forced to find me something to do and that he'd get me out as soon as he could. My dealings with him on a daily basis were frought and full of personal abuse but he was clever enough never to be overheard and nothing was ever said in emails or anything in a remotely official capacity. Only via telephone conversations.

It came to a head in April this year when I was told to report to a new area we were to begin working in and that I could no longer commute from either Newcastle if we were working in the north, or from my southern base if we were working in the south - I had to stay in a hotel local to where we were working.

No problem, I'd stayed in hotels for the company before and that was fine. But.. I arrived on site at 7am on the Monday we were due to start, to be told I'd be sharing a hotel room with a 20y/o lad I'd never met before. I sleep naked and didn't have any nighttime attire with me, only the clothes and travel bag I usually take away. I refused to share and was immediately called into head office to be told that I either share a room or resign. I had the rest of the week to decide.

I consulted a solicitor who said I had a case for constructive dismissal but that it could go either way. I decided to press ahead with a tribunal, which was held on Monday this week.

The tribunal heard about all the abuse I'd suffered and the company denied it. The judges accepted my version of events and told the company that their needed to seriously look at the way they treat their employees - I'd won a moral victory. But I didn't get a legal victory.

In the eyes of the law, when someone resigns due to what they consider to be a 'final straw', that final straw has to be serious and in my case it was decided that being forced to share a room with a stranger, although part of longer campaign of abuse and intimidataion, wasn't serious enough in it's own right to award me the case.

I still believe that, even if I hadn't endured the abuse etc, that forcing colleagues to share a room is a fundamental break to their rights to privacy, but I concede that those employees who don't have a problem sharing accommodation should be able to continue to do so.

I was never going to go back to the company I worked for so I wasn't looking to win my old job back, I wasn't even too concerned about the financial payout as it would have been relatively low anyway. What I wanted was to see my boss in court and see him told that he was wrong. And I got that.

To award me the legal victory would have meant setting a precedent and that is something judges are very reluctant to do as it means a change in legislation will ensue, which in cases of forcing colleagues to share a hotel room, would have made it illegal for a company to do.

I have retrained as an electrician and I'm more than happy with what I'm doing now, but I have started an ePetition at the No.10 website as I still believe employees should have the right to choose whether to share a room or not without being dismissed for not doing so.

Our people always get seperate rooms, their entitled to their own privacy and we have asked them to stay away from their own homes and family, least we can do

Forgive the typos, I forgot to check it. oops.

lol - no I won't suck a clients cock, why would I? - good for you. Z"

Not even if it was a nice cock?? Saying that i wouldn't be interested in any sort of salami and the women in my industry are big muscley ladies or the ones met so far are

Bolton

But he did have the courage of his convictions and stuck to his principals....which many don't have.

To clarify a few things, I didn't post the circumstances of my case in the opening post as I was interested more in whether people felt that being forced to room share with a colleague was fundamentally wrong regardless of the circumstances of it.

However, as specualtion regarding my case has been mentioned, I'll elaborate a little further but will have to be sparse with the full details.

It's not a secret that I was paid to stay at home for 7 months last year because the job I was employed to do had been put on hold, and, being one of only 12 engineers in the country trained to do it, the company didn't want to lose me.

That all changed in November last year when it was decided that my situation was intolerable by both myself and the company and I was sent back to work under a different line manager doing a job far benesth my skill level. It was compunded further by my new line manager telling me that he didn't want me on his team, that he was forced to find me something to do and that he'd get me out as soon as he could. My dealings with him on a daily basis were frought and full of personal abuse but he was clever enough never to be overheard and nothing was ever said in emails or anything in a remotely official capacity. Only via telephone conversations.

It came to a head in April this year when I was told to report to a new area we were to begin working in and that I could no longer commute from either Newcastle if we were working in the north, or from my southern base if we were working in the south - I had to stay in a hotel local to where we were working.

No problem, I'd stayed in hotels for the company before and that was fine. But.. I arrived on site at 7am on the Monday we were due to start, to be told I'd be sharing a hotel room with a 20y/o lad I'd never met before. I sleep naked and didn't have any nighttime attire with me, only the clothes and travel bag I usually take away. I refused to share and was immediately called into head office to be told that I either share a room or resign. I had the rest of the week to decide.

I consulted a solicitor who said I had a case for constructive dismissal but that it could go either way. I decided to press ahead with a tribunal, which was held on Monday this week.

The tribunal heard about all the abuse I'd suffered and the company denied it. The judges accepted my version of events and told the company that their needed to seriously look at the way they treat their employees - I'd won a moral victory. But I didn't get a legal victory.

In the eyes of the law, when someone resigns due to what they consider to be a 'final straw', that final straw has to be serious and in my case it was decided that being forced to share a room with a stranger, although part of longer campaign of abuse and intimidataion, wasn't serious enough in it's own right to award me the case.

I still believe that, even if I hadn't endured the abuse etc, that forcing colleagues to share a room is a fundamental break to their rights to privacy, but I concede that those employees who don't have a problem sharing accommodation should be able to continue to do so.

I was never going to go back to the company I worked for so I wasn't looking to win my old job back, I wasn't even too concerned about the financial payout as it would have been relatively low anyway. What I wanted was to see my boss in court and see him told that he was wrong. And I got that.

To award me the legal victory would have meant setting a precedent and that is something judges are very reluctant to do as it means a change in legislation will ensue, which in cases of forcing colleagues to share a hotel room, would have made it illegal for a company to do.

I have retrained as an electrician and I'm more than happy with what I'm doing now, but I have started an ePetition at the No.10 website as I still believe employees should have the right to choose whether to share a room or not without being dismissed for not doing so."

I have to say that I haven't always agreed with your posts, _iews etc but on this I am with you - hope it all works out for you, Z

Bolton

lol - no I won't suck a clients cock, why would I? - good for you. Z

Not even if it was a nice cock?? Saying that i wouldn't be interested in any sort of salami and the women in my industry are big muscley ladies or the ones met so far are "

It wouldn't even get any where near to me finding it was a 'nice' cock - believe it or not when I'm away I am not interested in any extra marital activities! Z

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

To be honest they should really be providing privacy and not demanding you share.

I have an Xmas party on the 9th dec near Watford and hotel rooms are being offered at a reduced cost. I'm not prepared to share so I'll pay the extra.

Actually anyone fancy joining me? I'm paying!!

By *ickingFantasticMan  over a year ago

Fareham

For me personally , I wouldn't share. Its my time outside of work hours and I want privacy.

In the area I work it isn't typical and yes I would be happy to take dismissal over them trying to force something like that and happy to take them to court after as well.

By *ugartitsandhimCouple  over a year ago

North West

Just leave the company if your not happy

He did......"

No problem then

if work are dragging me away from home and i cant have my creature conforts then i would EXPECT a room to myself

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"To be honest they should really be providing privacy and not demanding you share.

I have an Xmas party on the 9th dec near Watford and hotel rooms are being offered at a reduced cost. I'm not prepared to share so I'll pay the extra.

Actually anyone fancy joining me? I'm paying!! "

Ah so there is sharing and Sharing

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

artical 8 humand righst act, "the right to a private and family life" have fun with that one lol

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I work for *well known cheap hotel people use for shagging inn*, and at the minute due to the major expansion works in the area, have a lot of contractors staying with us.

There is around 20 of them, all young guys. When I was chatting to them they were given the choice, a room on their own, which they would pay the difference on, or they could share, and take the saving in their wages. Most of them chose to share, personally, I'd pay the difference.

I've shared room with all kinds of people when working away from home as I stated above.

I have shared room with muslims, morons, good uns and bad uns.

At times you feel like kicking the living shit out of the bad uns, especially when they have no respect or basic living skills around a house/room or know how to even interact with people or have a total disregard for someone else.

It may save money for a company to share, it may also save money for the workers too, but at times you can't put a price on privacy and having your own space.

One thing that I always looked for when working away, was the small b&b type places as they were cheaper than the trave lodge/premier inn style shoe boxes and always felt more homely and had decent food (sometimes) and this made life a little easier if you had to share.

At the end of the day, work is work and you have to make sacrifices to get ahead in life and make a wage to support yourself and your family and if this means bunking up with a fuckwit or two then it has to be done. It just makes going home a lot more appreciative and welcoming.

"artical 8 humand righst act, "the right to a private and family life" have fun with that one lol"

The Human Rights as Act Article 8 is to do with Private Life & Family, and is concerned with state interference of your private life & family rights. It doesn't apply to the commercial sector.

"3.68 You have the right to respect for your private and family life, your home and your correspondence. Article 8 is an example of a qualified right in the ECHR. This means that there is a framework in place against which any interference with your rights by the state must be judged to see if it is acceptable."

The Working Time Directive gives companies an out from anything covered under employment law as it states that an the maximum permitted working week of 48 hours is averaged out over 17 weeks. What this means is that a company can force you to work longer than 48 hours in one week so long as you work less hours within the 17 week timeframe to balance it out. This also means that a break from work, which includes a break from time spent with colleague, ie. room sharing, can be dispensed with if you opt out of the 48-hour working time directive. Although provision is made to guarantee that employees are not adversely punished for opting out of the WTD, the reality is that many companies unofficially black mark employees who do opt out and whenever redundancies are in the air, guess who's name is first on the list.

» Add a new message to this topic