FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > it's a Fu**ing Mongrel

it's a Fu**ing Mongrel

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

cant believe the amount of people running around saying oh, I have a Labradoodle as if its a breed of dog

or a:

"chug" - a pug and Chihuahua

pomsky - Pomeranian & Husky

Horgi: Corgi & Husky

Corgipoo - Toy Poodle & Corgi

Peoples interference with animal breeds is a disgrace and then they actually believe they have a new breed

folks waken up, you have a mongrel

stop interfering with the breed of dogs

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

There are those that say artificially maintaining distinguishable breeds of dog is 'interfering'. Back in the mists of time there were just 'dogs'.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Er...all the dog breeds we have are a result of people's 'interference'.

Otherwise they'd all be wolves.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

To my knowledge you can register the offspring of 2 kennel club registered dogs of different breeds but not that dogs pups.

But yeah still a mutt and why they still charge £700+ for it I have no idea.

Hopefully it will breed out the heredity problems certain breeds of dogs have, make them better happier and health animals, but I doubt it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"cant believe the amount of people running around saying oh, I have a Labradoodle as if its a breed of dog

or a:

Peoples interference with animal breeds is a disgrace and then they actually believe they have a new breed

stop interfering with the breed of dogs "

You do know that "pure breeds" or "pedigrees" were created through selective breeding? On the whole, they tend to suffer breed-specific issues.

Mongrels for me, anytime.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I have 2, I can mince round the park with my mongrels as happy as pig in shit.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

In the scheme of things who gives a fuck as long as the woofers are well looked after and cared for?

"cant believe the amount of people running around saying oh, I have a Labradoodle as if its a breed of dog

or a:

A friend has the nerve to charge 1k each for her puppy cockapoodles. Then breed her and her sister again! She's openly admitted she's using the money to save up for a range rover.

You're right OP. They're cross breeds and mongrels. They shouldn't be given fancy lables nor charge over the top prices. They often have little clue what bloodline they're breeding they're bitch with. All breeds come with hereditary illnesses or the like. Without thorough research, you'll never know what your puppy may end up with.

or a:

You do know how pedigree dogs came about don't you?

Our dog is absolutely unique. ..obscure German breed. Its a Heinz....

or a:

You do know that "pure breeds" or "pedigrees" were created through selective breeding? On the whole, they tend to suffer breed-specific issues.

Mongrels for me, anytime."

So do mongrels. You'll never fully know what you're dog was bred with. All kinds of potential hidden defects and illness from each bloodline that can pop up at anytime.

It's more the silly prices those breeders charge for mixed bred dogs (that can never be KC registered) that bothers me. They're mongrels and a sensible price in place should reflect that.

No dodgy person will pay more then a few pounds for a dog they intend on abusing or use in fights. So even a sensible price will still attract buyers and be a deterrent against potential animal abusers.

"Our dog is absolutely unique. ..obscure German breed. Its a Heinz...."

or a:

A friend has the nerve to charge 1k each for her puppy cockapoodles. Then breed her and her sister again! She's openly admitted she's using the money to save up for a range rover.

You're right OP. They're cross breeds and mongrels. They shouldn't be given fancy lables nor charge over the top prices. They often have little clue what bloodline they're breeding they're bitch with. All breeds come with hereditary illnesses or the like. Without thorough research, you'll never know what your puppy may end up with."

yes you are correct and as they say " a fool and money are often parted"

I live in a wealthy neighbourhood, seems every neighbour is now paying out silly money for these strange lap dogs

they will be very unfortunate when they start mixing breeds of Husky & Malamute as they will soon realise they then have a very strong willed, dominant powerhouse of a dog on their hands

"In the scheme of things who gives a fuck as long as the woofers are well looked after and cared for? "

Agreed

or a:

you seriously need to take a chill pill

and i have had a few very loyal as you say Mogrels and would still choose them over a known breed

the man/woman makes the dog a dog regarldless of breed etc

"In the scheme of things who gives a fuck as long as the woofers are well looked after and cared for?

Agreed "

one persons _iew of being well looked after differs from another

is it okay to carry one around in your handbag?

lift it up into your arms if another dog is approaching in distance

dress it in silly outfits or rain covers

constantly feed it snacks

wash it regular in a sweet smelling doggy shampoo

you be the judge

or a:

and i have had a few very loyal as you say Mogrels and would still choose them over a known breed

the man/woman makes the dog a dog regarldless of breed etc"

its good to see some recognise they own a mongrel, that is what this thread is about

By *arkyandFiCouple  over a year ago

lowestoft

My Missus has a Boxador (Boxer, Lab cross, I pissed myself laughing when she told me and tried to convince me it was an actual breed. I call it a mongrel. Lovely natured dog though.

By *urvymamaWoman  over a year ago

Doncaster

It's a shorter way of saying I have a Labrador and poodle cross breed, its only like when couple get their names mashed up. Like in the Big Bang theory instead of saying Sheldon and Amy the couples referred to as Shamy

By *atural-born-thrillerMan  over a year ago

oulton broad

I have a mongrel ....part husky part psychopath ....he eats shoes skirting boards has turned the garden into something resembling a battlefield with all the holes he's dug .....can jump a 6ft fence if he get the urge and go on a tour round ....but still loveable and cute ....people ask is he a goberian ? Wtf he's a mongrel and happy ....X

I dont particularly care for selective breeding of any sort if it is used as a superiority issue(of course thats different when it comes to meat..)

Unless these modifications cause illness to the breed...then I dont know what the issue is.

and after all, it will be MY dog(or other animal)

By *uerido55Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"Our dog is absolutely unique. ..obscure German breed. Its a Heinz....

"

I understand that there are 57 different varieties of this particular breed each with its own characteristics. Which one do you have?

or a:

the man/woman makes the dog a dog regarldless of breed etc

its good to see some recognise they own a mongrel, that is what this thread is about"

grr they where never mongrels to me they where dogs end of!

By *hoenixandflamesCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

Well, it's only the same as the human race...

A product of our parents, our parents parents, our parents parents parents etc etc.

Generally what all the racists like to forget

But I guess by "breed" people might mean description...

Says I, the ginger mongrel...

hehe

Flames

Slowly counts to ten and departs this thread

By *hoenixandflamesCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

"

Actually - Some breeds do need interfering with.

Breathing problems and health conditions with way too many dogs due to breeding.

Heck- Is it French Bulldogs or Boston Terriers that have been bred so selectively that they can't shag any more due to their hips or shoulders being messed up?

I have a shih tzu. Just a bog standard, straight forward shih tzu. But we live in quite a nice area, and I don't go a day without seeing a "cockerpoo" or a "cavachon" or whatever else they want to call them.

Whoever thought up blending the breed names together has made a lot of people an awful lot of money. I have no issue with crossbreeds, far from it, but it does make me laugh when the owners proudly announce what their dog is, as if it's a real breed

before the days when leads were compulsory im sure a lot of the 'mongrels' happened quite naturally

I understand that there are 57 different varieties of this particular breed each with its own characteristics. Which one do you have? "

..at the risk of being labelled a braggart...we have the 37th one...widely regarded as the superior variety. .

"

Actually - Some breeds do need interfering with.

Breathing problems and health conditions with way too many dogs due to breeding.

Heck- Is it French Bulldogs or Boston Terriers that have been bred so selectively that they can't shag any more due to their hips or shoulders being messed up?

"

and of course the kennel club deciding on how each breed should look, height, shoulders, hips, head, ears, how the tail should stand, and then the breeders breed the dog to suit so that they can get a placing and earn extra cash when they continue to breed

The kennel club almost ruined German shepherds, luckily today this has been recognised

or a:

I have a 100% pedigree pitt-bull-dober-rott-sation.I paid £400 for him. I wanted a dog with a nice temperament.

As cute and cuddly as our Satan is OP, if you were to call him a mongrel to his face he would probably have your right leg for lunch.....

...oh no!!!.....the post man!!!.... SATAAAN!!!!

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

On my list of concerns, this doesn't quite make the top 10

"I have 2, I can mince round the park with my mongrels as happy as pig in shit.

"

"On my list of concerns, this doesn't quite make the top 10 "

what are concerns?

They aren't mongrels though. They have a list of breed pedigree from both parents (or should if they are costing hundreds of ££) they are a purpose built cross to try and get the best of two breeds.

In the horse world most people are actively looking for a well thought out cross breed and you will often pay more for a cross breed than a pure bred as they are a more versatile and level headed prospect for the job you want them to do. People will pay for anything that fits the criteria they are looking for.

A mongrel is an animal of unknown parentage.

Forced cross breeding is awful. Having a tiny dog mate with something like a Labrador or German shepherd, people really only see pound signs when doing this, not thinking about the animal.

I'm not a dog lover myself, only actually like one dog, but hate people giving them a name like it's a new breed all of a sudden.

We have a lurcher, the amount of people that think that that is a breed of dog is staggering, she is a mongrel and the best dog we have ever had

"They aren't mongrels though. They have a list of breed pedigree from both parents (or should if they are costing hundreds of ££) they are a purpose built cross to try and get the best of two breeds.

In the horse world most people are actively looking for a well thought out cross breed and you will often pay more for a cross breed than a pure bred as they are a more versatile and level headed prospect for the job you want them to do. People will pay for anything that fits the criteria they are looking for.

A mongrel is an animal of unknown parentage."

anyone who pays £100's of pounds for a cross breed deserves to have that money taken from them

anyone who has a KC registered dog and allows it to be bred with a different breed should not be considered a breeder

a KC registration means absolutely nothing if the dog is then crossbred, it just shows incompitance

"We have a lurcher, the amount of people that think that that is a breed of dog is staggering, she is a mongrel and the best dog we have ever had"

We have a Golden Doodle and couldn't have asked for a better dog. Worth every penny.

"We have a lurcher, the amount of people that think that that is a breed of dog is staggering, she is a mongrel and the best dog we have ever had

We have a Golden Doodle and couldn't have asked for a better dog. Worth every penny."

you mean to say you have a mongrel or a cross breed, just say it

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"

a KC registration means absolutely nothing if the dog is then crossbred, it just shows incompitance"

As does spelling incompetence with more than one 'i'

"

a KC registration means absolutely nothing if the dog is then crossbred, it just shows incompitance

As does spelling incompetence with more than one 'i' "

true, or being to quick on the keyboard, we always have the grammar police quick to jump in though

By *uddlybear2015Man  over a year ago

BEDFORD

or a:

You're right OP. They're cross breeds and mongrels. They shouldn't be given fancy lables nor charge over the top prices. They often have little clue what bloodline they're breeding they're bitch with. All breeds come with hereditary illnesses or the like. Without thorough research, you'll never know what your puppy may end up with."

Although,in a childish way,I do find corgipoo funny

"We have a lurcher, the amount of people that think that that is a breed of dog is staggering, she is a mongrel and the best dog we have ever had

We have a Golden Doodle and couldn't have asked for a better dog. Worth every penny."

A what?

I use to keep Labradors,but then i got a mongrel a cross collie puppy from a rescue centre,named her Cagney ,that little dog was so loyal,so trusting and so gentle,she lived eighteen years and i miss her so

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Flipping 'ech, my Colsation is going to have a right identity crisis now.

or a:

and pay a fortune too. All wrong.

"They aren't mongrels though. They have a list of breed pedigree from both parents (or should if they are costing hundreds of ££) they are a purpose built cross to try and get the best of two breeds.

anyone who pays £100's of pounds for a cross breed deserves to have that money taken from them

anyone who has a KC registered dog and allows it to be bred with a different breed should not be considered a breeder

a KC registration means absolutely nothing if the dog is then crossbred, it just shows incompitance"

I take it you did your research into the KC then?

In case you didnt you can actually KC register a labradoodle or any other cross breed with them.

To show my research heres a link http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/registration/how-to-register-your-dog/ read the bit at the top where it says the about they have suitable registers for both.

I have a Dorset Old Time Bulldog. Which is an attempt at making a healthier version of the bulldog we see all squashed up today.

He may be a Mongrel in terms of the Kennel clubs _iew.

But he is a picture of health compared to the breed standard.

He's 9 stone of slobber and fun who is still going strong at an old age.

I take it you did your research into the KC then?

In case you didnt you can actually KC register a labradoodle or any other cross breed with them.

To show my research heres a link http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/registration/how-to-register-your-dog/ read the bit at the top where it says the about they have suitable registers for both."

straight from the kennel club;

the Kennel Club is concerned that some unscrupulous breeders may be breeding these types of dog simply for financial profit, rather than with the health and welfare of the dogs in mind. This can mean that they will mass produce puppies to meet the latest celebrity-driven trend and will sell them on to people who are buying the dog as a fad rather than based on an educated decision about what is right for them. Buying a dog is a lifetime commitment and they should not be purchased on a whim or to go along with the latest fashion.

The Kennel Club is further concerned that the crossing of these breeds may result in health problems if the breeder is more interested in making money than about welfare. Any responsible breeder will undertake health tests prior to breeding a litter and this should apply just as much to a crossbreed as to a purebred dog.

As an example, a 'Labradoodle' is the result of a cross between a Labrador and a Poodle. Both of these breeds can be susceptible to hip problems and simply crossing them will only exacerbate the problem and not eradicate it.

A 'designer' dog is a crossbreed and may prove to be less predictable than a purebred dog. The advantages of buying a pedigree dog include the predictability of specific breed traits including behaviour and temperament, care needs, and their health predisposition. This gives the owner a better chance of understanding the needs of the dog, and which breed will be best for them.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

My personal favourite designer cross breed is the shih tzu and bulldog.

Commonly known as the bull shit

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

If you want a dog, to be your best friend, to be part of the family, get your arse round to the local Dogs Trust home and get one of the multitude that are dumped each year because their previous owner was a half-wit who should be marched out into the woods and shot.

Go on, what are you waiting for?

I remember watching a programme

Crufts and cross breeding a few years ago ...it was very sad.

Over generations how specific breeds are no longer the originals anymore.

"If you want a dog, to be your best friend, to be part of the family, get your arse round to the local Dogs Trust home and get one of the multitude that are dumped each year because their previous owner was a half-wit who should be marched out into the woods and shot.

Go on, what are you waiting for?"

I would, but I went all the way to fucking Russia for my dog.

By *uerido55Man  over a year ago

Manchester

I understand that there are 57 different varieties of this particular breed each with its own characteristics. Which one do you have? ..at the risk of being labelled a braggart...we have the 37th one...widely regarded as the superior variety. ."

Would that be the one that originally came from Bologna in Italy, the Bolognese variety?

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

My money

My choice

My mongrels

And I won't feel bad about it.

warwickshire

"If you want a dog, to be your best friend, to be part of the family, get your arse round to the local Dogs Trust home and get one of the multitude that are dumped each year because their previous owner was a half-wit who should be marched out into the woods and shot.

I would, but I went all the way to fucking Russia for my dog. "

And I would go all that way for mine, if necessary. I know he'd walk it to be by MY side, so fair's fair

or a:

Maybe they are, I have a pure breed and a "mongrel"

My "mongrel" is the best! I couldn't have asked for a better all round dog. She looks just like a chihuahua so no one is none the wiser but I'm proud to say she is mixed.

"In the scheme of things who gives a fuck as long as the woofers are well looked after and cared for?

Agreed

one persons _iew of being well looked after differs from another

is it okay to carry one around in your handbag?

lift it up into your arms if another dog is approaching in distance

dress it in silly outfits or rain covers

constantly feed it snacks

wash it regular in a sweet smelling doggy shampoo

you be the judge"

You sure you're not talking about us here on fab sounds like a few of us. Need to find myself a better owner then

"I remember watching a programme

Over generations how specific breeds are no longer the originals anymore. "

just been reading from the canine society..the problem with 'original' breeds is inbreeding which causes recessive genes.

While things have to be moderated, they can never stay the same..and this applies to any species..

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

The labradoodle was bred by a austrailian dog breeder at the request of an elderly couple where 1 was blind and the other was alergic to dog hairs. So it is a working dog bred for a reason

Mix breed dogs can be a lot healthier than pure breeds if bred responsibly. Pure breeds suffer from limited gene pool. And that's only going to get worse in a lot of breeds as they continue to inbreed

I love my little PomChiJack. A result of his mum-a Jack Russel-and his dad-a Pomeranian Chihuahua cross-sneaking off to the back of the garden while their parents were distracted,to have a bit of "us" time. He's the funniest little thing and the best (or worse if you don't like holes in your lawn) of both parents.

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

Up until last week I had a lab/collie cross. ..his parents on opposite farms met illicitly at night..he also had a bit of lurcher in him we were told because of his speed running..common in working collie lines apperntly. ...when asked what breed he was we always said a Westmorland Otter Hound...he was from Cumbria and would never get out of the f@$@@#n water when called

"The labradoodle was bred by a austrailian dog breeder at the request of an elderly couple where 1 was blind and the other was alergic to dog hairs. So it is a working dog bred for a reason

Mix breed dogs can be a lot healthier than pure breeds if bred responsibly. Pure breeds suffer from limited gene pool. And that's only going to get worse in a lot of breeds as they continue to inbreed

"

as above:

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/health-of-purebred-vs-mixed-breed-dogs-the-data

"The labradoodle was bred by a austrailian dog breeder at the request of an elderly couple where 1 was blind and the other was alergic to dog hairs. So it is a working dog bred for a reason

"

guess you did not read this direct from the kennel club, so I will put it up for you to read again and ofcourse you do get responsible owners but you also get kennel farms

straight from the kennel club web page;

the Kennel Club is concerned that some unscrupulous breeders may be breeding these types of dog simply for financial profit, rather than with the health and welfare of the dogs in mind. This can mean that they will mass produce puppies to meet the latest celebrity-driven trend and will sell them on to people who are buying the dog as a fad rather than based on an educated decision about what is right for them. Buying a dog is a lifetime commitment and they should not be purchased on a whim or to go along with the latest fashion.

The Kennel Club is further concerned that the crossing of these breeds may result in health problems if the breeder is more interested in making money than about welfare. Any responsible breeder will undertake health tests prior to breeding a litter and this should apply just as much to a crossbreed as to a purebred dog.

As an example, a 'Labradoodle' is the result of a cross between a Labrador and a Poodle. Both of these breeds can be susceptible to hip problems and simply crossing them will only exacerbate the problem and not eradicate it.

A 'designer' dog is a crossbreed and may prove to be less predictable than a purebred dog. The advantages of buying a pedigree dog include the predictability of specific breed traits including behaviour and temperament, care needs, and their health predisposition. This gives the owner a better chance of understanding the needs of the dog, and which breed will be best for them

kildare

"I remember watching a programme

Over generations how specific breeds are no longer the originals anymore. "

The fact dogs aren't like they originally were aren't the problem,you wouldn't want an original english bull baiting bulldog for example as they were so vicious but the english bulldog of today is destroyed from years of bad dog show standards to the point that now the breed can't be saved. It will have to be bred to other dogs to survive into the future. Sad

"folks waken up, you have a mongrel

Technically it's a cross breed, as it omes from 2 distinct pedigree sources.

As for the prices, anything is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, no more no less. Fashionable = desirable = expensive.

kildare

guess you did not read this direct from the kennel club, so I will put it up for you to read again and ofcourse you do get responsible owners but you also get kennel farms

A 'designer' dog is a crossbreed and may prove to be less predictable than a purebred dog. The advantages of buying a pedigree dog include the predictability of specific breed traits including behaviour and temperament, care needs, and their health predisposition. This gives the owner a better chance of understanding the needs of the dog, and which breed will be best for them"

I wasn't defending the breeding of designer toy dogs really as I know little about them. I know more about working dog breeds.different world

Anyway I wouldn't listen to anything the kennel club say. Read my above post on what they done to your national dog,the bulldog

Sadly the majority of people have no idea on hip scoring or eye scores

or indeed have no idea how to read the results of a hip scoring

People should learn fully about the breed they intend to purchase, learn their faults, what to look out for

visit both parents, check them out, check all paperwork is correct and remember a hip scoring can be altered.

eye tests only last a year, a good breeder will only be too happy to supply all information and a good breeder will ensure you have been assessed to ensure you are also capable of owning such dog from their litter

and then you get "Tamaskans" another bloody can of worms.

My mate has a Japanese akita cross English bull mastiff. (Not in this country)It's a fucking killing machine and weighs 20 stone. Can't take it out in public coz the last time he did it came back to him with someones Yorkie in its mouth and dropped it at his feet like it was a toy.

"My mate has a Japanese akita cross English bull mastiff. (Not in this country)It's a fucking killing machine and weighs 20 stone. Can't take it out in public coz the last time he did it came back to him with someones Yorkie in its mouth and dropped it at his feet like it was a toy. "

absolutely

some dogs need strick control, including Alaskan malamute bitches

We have a Golden Doodle and couldn't have asked for a better dog. Worth every penny.

A what?"

It's a retriever standard poodle cross. Brilliant dog.

kildare

"My mate has a Japanese akita cross English bull mastiff. (Not in this country)It's a fucking killing machine and weighs 20 stone. Can't take it out in public coz the last time he did it came back to him with someones Yorkie in its mouth and dropped it at his feet like it was a toy. "

Why would anyone cross an akita with a bullmastiff? A recipe for an aggressive stubborn dog IMO

Anybody that breeds dogs should have a goal in mind,usually to better the breed and if cross breeding doing it for a purpose

I have a bandog,pitbull mastiff mix. It's a common mix going back years to breed a dog great size and temperament

A 'designer' dog is a crossbreed and may prove to be less predictable than a purebred dog. The advantages of buying a pedigree dog include the predictability of specific breed traits including behaviour and temperament, care needs, and their health predisposition. This gives the owner a better chance of understanding the needs of the dog, and which breed will be best for them"

We went to crufts this year and the so called pure breed German shepherd was a disgrace. It won despite being able to hardly walk properly.

So buying a purebred is no guarantee of getting a dog that is without problems.

can I add in your own quote about the kennel club though?:

"and of course the kennel club deciding on how each breed should look, height, shoulders, hips, head, ears, how the tail should stand, and then the breeders breed the dog to suit so that they can get a placing and earn extra cash when they continue to breed

The kennel club almost ruined German shepherds, luckily today this has been recognised"

so all in all..this shouldn't really be about cross-breeds being given a name, but more about which types are being bred together if they have currently known genetic problems that affect them.

And predictability?- no dog should be deemed safer than another IMO.

"And predictability?- no dog should be deemed safer than another IMO."

I would say 90% of dogs are safer than my grumpy bitch who has severe attitude problems

"My mate has a Japanese akita cross English bull mastiff. (Not in this country)It's a fucking killing machine and weighs 20 stone. Can't take it out in public coz the last time he did it came back to him with someones Yorkie in its mouth and dropped it at his feet like it was a toy.

Why would anyone cross an akita with a bullmastiff? A recipe for an aggressive stubborn dog IMO

Anybody that breeds dogs should have a goal in mind,usually to better the breed and if cross breeding doing it for a purpose

I have a bandog,pitbull mastiff mix. It's a common mix going back years to breed a dog great size and temperament"

He did have a goal in mind.... To kill people that break into his house when he's at work.

I understand that there are 57 different varieties of this particular breed each with its own characteristics. Which one do you have? ..at the risk of being labelled a braggart...we have the 37th one...widely regarded as the superior variety. .

Would that be the one that originally came from Bologna in Italy, the Bolognese variety?"

..bravo sir!...you certainly know you're heinz. Best part of the 37's is....they come with a free lesbain. .. I think that's because they may have originated in lesbia (small hamlet on the outskirts of baloney)....bologna I mean..damn autocock....

"Er...all the dog breeds we have are a result of people's 'interference'.

Otherwise they'd all be wolves."

Boom.

People let some weird shit annoy them.

"People let some weird shit annoy them."

the poo inspector;

never really been an inspector of shit, what shit do you inspect and consider to be a normal one?

I have a mongrel too, or a Heinz Variety. He's lush.

kildare

"Er...all the dog breeds we have are a result of people's 'interference'.

Otherwise they'd all be wolves.

Boom. "

True. Most dog breeds can be traced back to 1 breeder like doberman for the dobie,john d johnson for the american bulldog,dr Nunez for the dogo argentino etc

And they ALL inbred their dogs,it's an accepted part of creating new breeds,so limited gene pool to start with and continuos inbreeding since

A lot of pure breeds days are numbered and they will have to outcross to other breeds to survive

Dog breeds become fashionable.

We planned on getting a dachshund for years and as soon as we could we found a good breeder and visited and brought one home on the second visit.

Since TV adverts and mainstream media have started featuring dachshunds the price of pups has gone up to around £1500....mainly people just chancing it trying to make a quick profit.

The decent breeders stick to the usually price of around £600-£750.

Do these designer cross breeds come with all the paperwork? 3 or 4 generations of linage, KC papers, hereditary defect checks?

kildare

"Dog breeds become fashionable.

We planned on getting a dachshund for years and as soon as we could we found a good breeder and visited and brought one home on the second visit.

Since TV adverts and mainstream media have started featuring dachshunds the price of pups has gone up to around £1500....mainly people just chancing it trying to make a quick profit.

Do these designer cross breeds come with all the paperwork? 3 or 4 generations of linage, KC papers, hereditary defect checks?"

Prob not but then most of the pure breeds being sold don't either. Just look at any pet site,pets4homes for eg

Not defending designer dogs more condemning most of the dog "industry". Cause that's what it is

I have a lurcher, GSD x Grey. She is beautiful, she is well tempered, she's great with my kids, she was a rescue having been born in RSPCA shelters after her parents were rescued from mistreatment. She is presently sleeping on her bed, with the cat next to her, and my two year old daughter playing Lego in front. She's my special mongrel.

I blame the fecking idiots for paying those kind of prices.

My dog is s jackrussel Yorkie cross don't care what you would call that mix as to me he is one of a kind

or a:

Mongrels for me, anytime."

The point about selective breeding is a fair one, however through similar selective breeding the prominence of these breed specific health issues can be minimised, Such as hip and eye scoring. A dam and sire with low hip scores will generally produce pups with low hip scores

As someone who both uses dogs for work and owns them as pets I have seen many different combinations of breeds. Some are genuinely bred to produce a more suitable dog for a certain type of work such as the springador and some are produced to satisfy areas like the "toy" dog market such as the cockapoo.

Im not generally a fan of cross breeds and like to stick to my pedigrees however it's very much a case of different strokes!

Don't start me about bloody lurchers though lol

"There are those that say artificially maintaining distinguishable breeds of dog is 'interfering'. Back in the mists of time there were just 'dogs'."

Yeah your right there how can evolution work if you don't mix things up a bit

"Dog breeds become fashionable.

Do these designer cross breeds come with all the paperwork? 3 or 4 generations of linage, KC papers, hereditary defect checks?

Prob not but then most of the pure breeds being sold don't either. Just look at any pet site,pets4homes for eg

Not defending designer dogs more condemning most of the dog "industry". Cause that's what it is"

I fully agree and it's ignorant buyers that fuel this. Boils my blood!

I would, but I went all the way to fucking Russia for my dog. "

Ohhh what type is it? I want a picture x

"

"

What's different with Lurchers? The cross-breeding of a sight hound with a complimentary breed to increase recall and handling ability, mainly for the use in hunting and field sports.

Or, as in our case, an accident of having one dog GSD and multiple bitches locked in a squalid house in Salford, and the mother of my lurcher happening to be pregnant when rescued.

I would, but I went all the way to fucking Russia for my dog.

Ohhh what type is it? I want a picture x"

wish we had a picture or two of you

"

What's different with Lurchers? The cross-breeding of a sight hound with a complimentary breed to increase recall and handling ability, mainly for the use in hunting and field sports.

Mainly for use in deer poaching and sheep killing

I am involved in field sports and have dealt with many lurchers/lurcher owners. Every owner has had some sort of criminal conviction and I have witnessed lurchers chasing and killing both sheep and deer even in front of paying guests. The recall on these dogs has been non existent

As I said, different strokes for different folks but just don't bring one near me lol "

warwickshire

"And predictability?- no dog should be deemed safer than another IMO.

I would say 90% of dogs are safer than my grumpy bitch who has severe attitude problems"

Yes yes, but what about your pooch?

"And predictability?- no dog should be deemed safer than another IMO.

I would say 90% of dogs are safer than my grumpy bitch who has severe attitude problems

Yes yes, but what about your pooch?"

I so wish that was the case, I would have her back in any mood

"stop interfering with the breed of dogs "

Yeah, lets keep inbreeding them till they can't breathe and their hips crumble

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

We have a pure bred Akita long coat, He's good as gold with the kids won't even play tug o war with them because he knows he's too big..He has little tolerance of yappy little dogs with "size" issues though & did the same with next doors wire haired terrier when it got out & attacked him, a nigh on 10st Akita..£350 down the vets later (not us) and all OK..did think twice about sticking my hands in his mouth to retrieve said hairy sausage roll though, but he was fine and let it go..

His gutteral growl when strangers go near the kids would give a Rottweiler second thoughts too..

We now play hand tug o war with me holding his canines in a fist & him holding enough to pull but not enough to mark

Training is everything though..no matter what dog..

S

kildare

"

Or, as in our case, an accident of having one dog GSD and multiple bitches locked in a squalid house in Salford, and the mother of my lurcher happening to be pregnant when rescued."

I see scumbags around my area with lurchers a lot now. They seem to be the new pitbull in those circles. Heard of them being set on deer. Scum

kildare

"My mate has a Japanese akita cross English bull mastiff. (Not in this country)It's a fucking killing machine and weighs 20 stone. Can't take it out in public coz the last time he did it came back to him with someones Yorkie in its mouth and dropped it at his feet like it was a toy.

We have a pure bred Akita long coat, He's good as gold with the kids won't even play tug o war with them because he knows he's too big..He has little tolerance of yappy little dogs with "size" issues though & did the same with next doors wire haired terrier when it got out & attacked him, a nigh on 10st Akita..£350 down the vets later (not us) and all OK..did think twice about sticking my hands in his mouth to retrieve said hairy sausage roll though, but he was fine and let it go..

His gutteral growl when strangers go near the kids would give a Rottweiler second thoughts too..

We now play hand tug o war with me holding his canines in a fist & him holding enough to pull but not enough to mark

S

"

Tug of war with a pup is a great way of increasing a dogs prey drive. So be warned that will increase his aggression with little yap pay dogs unless you follow the training thru to being able to recall him

"

Or, as in our case, an accident of having one dog GSD and multiple bitches locked in a squalid house in Salford, and the mother of my lurcher happening to be pregnant when rescued.

I see scumbags around my area with lurchers a lot now. They seem to be the new pitbull in those circles. Heard of them being set on deer. Scum"

Don't get me wrong at one time they definitely would have been used for the now obsolete "catching one for the pot" but I don't really feel that applies now.

I know people that have a lot of trouble with people poaching deer with longdogs and I've seen first hand the damage that they do it can be pretty gruesome. Carcasses also tend to be left where they fall also.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Some crosses are specifically bred for a purpose.

Labradoodles were bred as guide dogs and assistance dogs;

To combine the obedient nature and loyalty of a Labrador with the intelligence of a poodle ( standard Poole not the "tricky-woo " toy ones) , and with a coat that was far less likely to cause allergic reactions .

kildare

"

I see scumbags around my area with lurchers a lot now. They seem to be the new pitbull in those circles. Heard of them being set on deer. Scum

Don't get me wrong at one time they definitely would have been used for the now obsolete "catching one for the pot" but I don't really feel that applies now.

I know people that have a lot of trouble with people poaching deer with longdogs and I've seen first hand the damage that they do it can be pretty gruesome. Carcasses also tend to be left where they fall also."

It still applies around here. People hunt rabbits with lurchers all the time here. A lot still do going by the amount of lurchers I see being sold here

"

I know people that have a lot of trouble with people poaching deer with longdogs and I've seen first hand the damage that they do it can be pretty gruesome. Carcasses also tend to be left where they fall also.

It still applies around here. People hunt rabbits with lurchers all the time here. A lot still do going by the amount of lurchers I see being sold here "

I think the idea of actually catching animals purely to eat them and not for the thrill of killing something is what's dying out

The people that I know that catch rabbits with them do it to make a quick bit of money so they can spend it on drugs. The same reason applies to the breeding and selling of puppies

By *piritsonfabCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

A mongrel is an animal of unknown parentage."

kildare

"

It still applies around here. People hunt rabbits with lurchers all the time here. A lot still do going by the amount of lurchers I see being sold here

I think the idea of actually catching animals purely to eat them and not for the thrill of killing something is what's dying out

The people that I know that catch rabbits with them do it to make a quick bit of money so they can spend it on drugs. The same reason applies to the breeding and selling of puppies "

Families seem to be the biggest offenders here of breeding for money. After the huge puppy farms of course. Ppl have a pedigree dog so breed it with no thought to health checks or breed standards. If it has papers they breed it

"

The people that I know that catch rabbits with them do it to make a quick bit of money so they can spend it on drugs. The same reason applies to the breeding and selling of puppies

Families seem to be the biggest offenders here of breeding for money. After the huge puppy farms of course. Ppl have a pedigree dog so breed it with no thought to health checks or breed standards. If it has papers they breed it

"

It's just cruel and irresponsible

And you can't get papers for a lurcher

kildare

[Removed by poster at 06/09/16 13:37:40]

kildare

Not only horses but any farm animal or even crop benefits from cross breeding. It's called hybrid vigour. It's the new genes being added. It's why farmers grow bigger veggies and bigger cows and why pure breed dogs are getting sicker"

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

S

Tug of war with a pup is a great way of increasing a dogs prey drive. So be warned that will increase his aggression with little yap pay dogs unless you follow the training thru to being able to recall him"

Yep, took us a while as they are stubborn fckers but although he still won't come when called (till he's good & ready) he will stop dead & not move on the simple command "Wait" I can do this from 50yds away..

When in public places though he still wears a muzzle & is never off the lead. Just in case a wayward pooch gets too close or aggressive..

He's four years old now..

S

How about people choose what dog they want and pay whatever they like for it. Who cares....

kildare

"How about people choose what dog they want and pay whatever they like for it. Who cares.... "

People that care about dogs care. Irresponsible buying leads to irresponsible breeding which leads to more unhealthy dogs in shelters

kildare

S

Tug of war with a pup is a great way of increasing a dogs prey drive. So be warned that will increase his aggression with little yap pay dogs unless you follow the training thru to being able to recall him

Yep, took us a while as they are stubborn fckers but although he still won't come when called (till he's good & ready) he will stop dead & not move on the simple command "Wait" I can do this from 50yds away..

When in public places though he still wears a muzzle & is never off the lead. Just in case a wayward pooch gets too close or aggressive..

He's four years old now..

S"

Stubborn dogs are so frustrating. My guy learns tricks first or second time of trying. Then that's it,fucker won't do it again til he's good and ready. Especially not when I try show off about my dog training ability in front of people

"How about people choose what dog they want and pay whatever they like for it. Who cares....

People that care about dogs care. Irresponsible buying leads to irresponsible breeding which leads to more unhealthy dogs in shelters"

There were dogs in shelters before this designer cross breeding, and there will be if it stops.

The problem isn't due to specific breeds being mixed.

This. Also stop buying dogs while so many are in shelters. I HATE when people pay hundreds for dogs knowing so many need a second chance.

Adopt, don't shop!

We have a designer dog - a Pugaboo (half Pug/half French Bulldog) - which I got from a rescue centre. He was apparently the runt of the litter and wasn't sellable because both of his ears didn't stick up in the desired fashion. He had recently arrived from the breeders and had a misformed hip bone and a terrible skin condition caused by fleas. He's also got really poor sinuses and snores like a pitman after a night on the ale.

The poor fellow has suffered from skin conditions all his 8 years, and can't walk very far.

In some ways I guess this verifies the OP's original point, but both the pure breeds suffer similar conditions and we wouldn't be without our dear Leon for the world

We have two labradoodles (That's a labrador poodle cross if you're being a pain in the arse and can't work that out yourself). They both came from wonderful families, from well looked after parents (their mum is now 'retired' and belongs to my mate). Yeah they were expensive but worth every penny.

I don't doubt that we put a lot more effort and research into our girls than many would. Not sure why you seem to be suggesting that pedigree breeders are never horrible, when in reality there are probably far more of them!

Would have loved to rehome but due to allergies and health conditions it wasn't really an option. When I'm able to, if I see a poodle cross needing rehomed I'll absolutely jump at the chance.

What DOES annoy me is people who breed dogs that there are already thousands of in shelters. They are the ones I'd question the morals of.

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

I've a Lhassa Poo (Lhassa Apso Poodle cross) because my ex and I love both breeds. There are dog snobs in my local park who look down on him being a cross. And I couldn't give a flying crap. He's amazing.

So there.

or a:

I've got a jackahuahua. She's small and mean and will have your face off if you say different.

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

And didn't come from a big breeder but a lovely small family who had three litters then stopped

ALSO (got me started now) answering "it's a mongrel" when asked what breed is about as useful as "it's a dog". If someone told me their dog was a mongrel I'd still ask what breeds it was a mix of.

It's a derogatory term that should only be reserved for a kinky sub. Cross breed is much nicer. Mongrel says your dog is better than mine and as we all know pedigree dogs are inbred to the nth degree and come with all sorts of genetic and often life limiting problems. I've owned both. My parents bred chocolate labs.

They're some interesting infographics out there documenting the changes in pedigree dogs over the last 100 years. They have become caricatures of themselves with grossly overemphasised features. Cross breeds reportedly have fewer health issues.

Nothing worse than a doggy snob!

By *am-RaiderMan  over a year ago

Corby

Just a clarification on terms here as mongrel seems to be used as derogatory.

Mongrel = Dog

Purebred = Inbred

Pedigree = Inbred

In human terms.

Mongrel = Human

Pedigree = Human from the Isle of Wight.

"It's a derogatory term that should only be reserved for a kinky sub. Cross breed is much nicer. Mongrel says your dog is better than mine and as we all know pedigree dogs are inbred to the nth degree and come with all sorts of genetic and often life limiting problems. I've owned both. My parents bred chocolate labs.

They're some interesting infographics out there documenting the changes in pedigree dogs over the last 100 years. They have become caricatures of themselves with grossly overemphasised features. Cross breeds reportedly have fewer health issues.

Nothing worse than a doggy snob! "

While I got much of the OP's post, this was the feeling I had:

these other smaller dogs are not dogs, as they arent really known as dogs that are 'useful'- and my point, if someone has a poofy lil lap dog thing and it has no underlying health/mental issues from its breed...well, so be it.

it IS still a dog, and governed by elemental dog behaviour i.e needing to belong to its considered pack leader.

"It's a derogatory term that should only be reserved for a kinky sub. Cross breed is much nicer. Mongrel says your dog is better than mine and as we all know pedigree dogs are inbred to the nth degree and come with all sorts of genetic and often life limiting problems. I've owned both. My parents bred chocolate labs.

these other smaller dogs are not dogs, as they arent really known as dogs that are 'useful'- and my point, if someone has a poofy lil lap dog thing and it has no underlying health/mental issues from its breed...well, so be it.

it IS still a dog, and governed by elemental dog behaviour i.e needing to belong to its considered pack leader."

Do you want mine? She's an absolute shit.

But if you think bout it, all dogs are mongrels in a sense. Heck, I prefer the "cross breeds" as it means its helping to get all the medical problems and the such slowly

it IS still a dog, and governed by elemental dog behaviour i.e needing to belong to its considered pack leader.

Do you want mine? She's an absolute shit. "

my cats VERY clear...she owns me

or a:

Labradoodles are now recognised as a breed according to the Kennel Club, so yes they ARE a breed now. (there was no need to make them up in the first place as there are plenty pure breeds that are suitable for people allergic to dogs)

The labradoodle became known in 1988, when Australian breeder Wally Conron crossed the Labrador Retriever and Standard Poodle at the Royal Guide Dogs Associations of Australia in Victoria

Conron's aim was to combine the low-shedding coat of the poodle with the gentleness and trainability of a Labrador retriever, and to provide a guide dog suitable for people with allergies to fur and dander.

However, the other mixes you mention, plus, cockerpoo, cavipoo, and whatever else you care to name, are not mongrels. They are crossbreeds. A crossbreed is the result of two different pure bred dogs, mated, my own dog is a GSD x Collie (no fancy name, sorry ) if a dog has 3 breeds in it which you can see (ie my friends dog, JRT, chihuahua, and pug) is a mixed breed, any dog that has all sorts in it, is a mongrel or Heinz 57. These are generally the best dogs to own as they generally have the best health / temprament record.

Hope that clears it up for you, from someone who works with dogs, oh and BTW never feed your dog Bakers as it's shit!!

"had a misformed hip bone and a terrible skin condition caused by fleas. He's also got really poor sinuses and snores like a pitman after a night on the ale.

The poor fellow has suffered from skin conditions all his 8 years, and can't walk very far.

we wouldn't be without our dear Leon for the world "

This is the very reason why two breeds of the same type should not be bred from, your poor wee dog, has had to cope with problems from the very start of his life. Brachycelaphic breeds (the ones with short noses, french bulldogs, pugs,boxers etc) because the breathing is not taken into consideration when mating dogs, the noses end up shorter and shorter, and actually shorten the animals life span. Small dogs should outlive the larger breeds, but they aren't because of this... Leon sounds like he's landed in heaven with you and at 8 yrs old, possibly not had the easiest of years, but he's soldiered on with your help, god bless you.

Can i just ask though, what do you do with his skin condition? or has it healed up now? My dog has a gluten allergy and was on a hypoallergenic diet, but now on a regular one.

"We have two labradoodles (That's a labrador poodle cross if you're being a pain in the arse and can't work that out yourself). They both came from wonderful families, from well looked after parents (their mum is now 'retired' and belongs to my mate). Yeah they were expensive but worth every penny.

I don't doubt that we put a lot more effort and research into our girls than many would. Not sure why you seem to be suggesting that pedigree breeders are never horrible, when in reality there are probably far more of them!

Would have loved to rehome but due to allergies and health conditions it wasn't really an option. When I'm able to, if I see a poodle cross needing rehomed I'll absolutely jump at the chance. "

We got our golden doodle because of their intelligence, good nature and the min shedding of hair which means allergy problems are hugely reduced.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

or a:

Guide dogs use them as they moult less.

or a:

"

Pure breeds, so called, are the result of gross interference by man in dog breeding. Left to their own devices, dogs would have far less issues with hips and breathing etc!!

kildare

or a:

Labradoodles are now recognised as a breed according to the Kennel Club, so yes they ARE a breed now. (there was no need to make them up in the first place as there are plenty pure breeds that are suitable for people allergic to dogs)

The labradoodle became known in 1988, when Australian breeder Wally Conron crossed the Labrador Retriever and Standard Poodle at the Royal Guide Dogs Associations of Australia in Victoria

Conron's aim was to combine the low-shedding coat of the poodle with the gentleness and trainability of a Labrador retriever, and to provide a guide dog suitable for people with allergies to fur and dander.

However, the other mixes you mention, plus, cockerpoo, cavipoo, and whatever else you care to name, are not mongrels. They are crossbreeds. A crossbreed is the result of two different pure bred dogs, mated, my own dog is a GSD x Collie (no fancy name, sorry ) if a dog has 3 breeds in it which you can see (ie my friends dog, JRT, chihuahua, and pug) is a mixed breed, any dog that has all sorts in it, is a mongrel or Heinz 57. These are generally the best dogs to own as they generally have the best health / temprament record.

Hope that clears it up for you, from someone who works with dogs, oh and BTW never feed your dog Bakers as it's shit!!"

Only with careful selective breeding do cross breeds have the better health than pure breeds. To just breed two breeds and automatically assume they will be healthy is wrong

And with crossbreeds there is no way of knowing their temperament until they are grown. Unlike pure breeds which you have some idea of temperament with researching breed

By carelessly crossing 2 breeds you can end up with a combination of the worst health problems and temperament of parent breeds

kildare

or a:

Pure breeds, so called, are the result of gross interference by man in dog breeding. Left to their own devices, dogs would have far less issues with hips and breathing etc!! "

Most dogs were bred for a reason and have a long history of working with people and still do

Wolf would be a shit sheep dog for example

or a:

Hope that clears it up for you, from someone who works with dogs, oh and BTW never feed your dog Bakers as it's shit!!

Only with careful selective breeding do cross breeds have the better health than pure breeds. To just breed two breeds and automatically assume they will be healthy is wrong

And with crossbreeds there is no way of knowing their temperament until they are grown. Unlike pure breeds which you have some idea of temperament with researching breed

By carelessly crossing 2 breeds you can end up with a combination of the worst health problems and temperament of parent breeds"

As I witnessed at Crufts this year, breeding approved by the Kennel club can have disastrous results. The fiasco with the German Shepherd showed that the health of the dog was of secondary concern.

or a:

omg that's heartbreaking, the poor knackered bitches, this should be reported and stopped, absolutely rages me the abuse of animals like this, report report report!!!!! all for a bloody range rover!!!!

"had a misformed hip bone and a terrible skin condition caused by fleas. He's also got really poor sinuses and snores like a pitman after a night on the ale.

we wouldn't be without our dear Leon for the world

This is the very reason why two breeds of the same type should not be bred from, your poor wee dog, has had to cope with problems from the very start of his life. Brachycelaphic breeds (the ones with short noses, french bulldogs, pugs,boxers etc) because the breathing is not taken into consideration when mating dogs, the noses end up shorter and shorter, and actually shorten the animals life span. Small dogs should outlive the larger breeds, but they aren't because of this... Leon sounds like he's landed in heaven with you and at 8 yrs old, possibly not had the easiest of years, but he's soldiered on with your help, god bless you.

Can i just ask though, what do you do with his skin condition? or has it healed up now? My dog has a gluten allergy and was on a hypoallergenic diet, but now on a regular one. "

He's continued to suffer from the skin condition throughout his life. We've always used special shampoos and have had regular expensive vetinary visits for antibiotics, but have never thought about a dietary intervention.

warwickshire

"

As I witnessed at Crufts this year, breeding approved by the Kennel club can have disastrous results. The fiasco with the German Shepherd showed that the health of the dog was of secondary concern. "

One of my most beloved dogs, now dead 20 years, was a PROPER German Shepherd, with a mile long pedigree, straight out of the British Army in the Rhineland. He was big, proud and solid as a rock. Lived till the ripe old age of 12, would have lived longer if a fuckwitted vet, in anticipation of non-existing hip trouble, gave him some drugs which wrecked his liver in a week. It seems they were expected to suffer, even though he'd never had an issue.

(I paid nowt for him, the owner was his ex-handler's divorced wife, who kept him chained to a washing line in the garden. I told her I WAS taking him and if she had a problem with that, she could come and try to take him back. It was obviously doing her a favour because she never objected, and even brought his papers round to me, unasked! He stood at my side and growled at her, haha.)

I'd have another from his bloodline in a heartbeat, but my conscience wouldn't let me pay the kind of money expected.

kildare

"

As I witnessed at Crufts this year, breeding approved by the Kennel club can have disastrous results. The fiasco with the German Shepherd showed that the health of the dog was of secondary concern.

One of my most beloved dogs, now dead 20 years, was a PROPER German Shepherd, with a mile long pedigree, straight out of the British Army in the Rhineland. He was big, proud and solid as a rock. Lived till the ripe old age of 12, would have lived longer if a fuckwitted vet, in anticipation of non-existing hip trouble, gave him some drugs which wrecked his liver in a week. It seems they were expected to suffer, even though he'd never had an issue.

(I paid nowt for him, the owner was his ex-handler's divorced wife, who kept him chained to a washing line in the garden. I told her I WAS taking him and if she had a problem with that, she could come and try to take him back. It was obviously doing her a favour because she never objected, and even brought his papers round to me, unasked! He stood at my side and growled at her, haha.)

I'd have another from his bloodline in a heartbeat, but my conscience wouldn't let me pay the kind of money expected."

A GSD from german working lines would be about 2500 ish. Id have no prob paying that for a good dog. You don't find dogs like that in shelters

There are too many dogs in the world but never enough good working dogs like that

we wouldn't be without our dear Leon for the world

Can i just ask though, what do you do with his skin condition? or has it healed up now? My dog has a gluten allergy and was on a hypoallergenic diet, but now on a regular one.

He's continued to suffer from the skin condition throughout his life. We've always used special shampoos and have had regular expensive vetinary visits for antibiotics, but have never thought about a dietary intervention."

SandB15 what is his skin condition?

One of our last Malamutes developed a very bad skin condition and no vet could determine the cause

We took him to "The Dick Institute of Veterinary Studies" in Edinburgh, this is a university for vets, they done various skin scrapings and found he was allergic to 17 types of grass, his condition was real bad.

He underwent monthly injections of "ARTUVETRIN" this is imported from the Netherlands.

After 6 months his hair started regrowing

and at 7 years old, he was then on these monthly injections for life, I injected him first Sunday of every month and his coat (double coat) returned in stunning condition.

I have more information on this if required.

By *aughty Wigan CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Wigan

Our friend got a "Jackshiht" but is was an accident. A neighbours Jack Russel took rather a shine to her Shihtzu, hence three little JackShihts

"

As I witnessed at Crufts this year, breeding approved by the Kennel club can have disastrous results. The fiasco with the German Shepherd showed that the health of the dog was of secondary concern. "

have you only just noticed that? GSDs backs have been going downhill (literally) for years and years, if they don't look beyond the end of their noses now, there might not be enough time to bring them back to how they should be. Another breed that has massively changed is the English Bull Terrier - through bad breeding they have developed a roman nose, they never used to have one.

With dogs and their temperaments, most of it does come from the parents, the known traits of the breed, and the training of the pup, dogs must be socialised in the first 24 weeks of it's life if it is to learn how to interact and play with other dogs. If they miss that window, you get a unconfident nervous dog.

To the lady who has Leon, I would try for his skin, a good hypoallergenic kibble or wet food (the one I'm thinking of sounds like what audiences do to encourage what's going on when at a theatre.. (don't want to promote a commercial service - but different spelling, or try the BARF diet)

"

SandB15 what is his skin condition?

One of our last Malamutes developed a very bad skin condition and no vet could determine the cause

We took him to "The Dick Institute of Veterinary Studies" in Edinburgh, this is a university for vets, they done various skin scrapings and found he was allergic to 17 types of grass, his condition was real bad.

He underwent monthly injections of "ARTUVETRIN" this is imported from the Netherlands.

After 6 months his hair started regrowing

and at 7 years old, he was then on these monthly injections for life, I injected him first Sunday of every month and his coat (double coat) returned in stunning condition.

I have more information on this if required."

That's fab to hear that you now have your dog's skin condition under control I know that fleas cause Impetigo on humans but not sure on dogs.

warwickshire

"A GSD from german working lines would be about 2500 ish. Id have no prob paying that for a good dog. You don't find dogs like that in shelters

There are too many dogs in the world but never enough good working dogs like that"

Well that's probably true, but I don't know what his specialist subject was. He'd be fine with people face to face, but put him in a car and no-one else but me could approach without him going MENTAL. (I guess to prevent people sidling up to service vehicles and slapping a Teller mine on the side)

When cashing up at the very rough pub I ran at the time, I had absolutely no fear of anyone trying to relieve me of the takings with him by my side. Certain people would shout in the doorway and ask if he was out before they'd come in. If I didn't want them in, I'd say he was waiting for them to step over the threshold...ha ha.

I'm not usually one to put too much faith in any dog to protect people, they are easy enough to disable if you know what you are doing, but I know that him, however much he weighed (took me and my father to lift him out to bury him), hitting someone at full tilt, would be pretty much unstoppable.

He was a pain in the arse though - if he saw an open car door, he'd be straight in. The only way to get him out was to drive him round the block. Taxi drivers would stop, he'd jump in, they'd jump out and we'd have a song and dance getting them back in with him leaping about inside...

Jesus, I miss the old boy.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

I'm all for crossbreeding.

The dog breding world is run by morons for whom the lure of money is greater than the wellbeing of their animals.

Hybrid vigour is a wonderful thing.

Although two of my dogs are a 'breed' (collie), I won't have anything to do with the fat, wheezy KC reg ones, ISDS ones are bred for purpose, which is fine.

My terrier is a "type", with blood being added on merit and thus the gene pool is kept wide.

The Dick Institute

By * PillowsWoman  over a year ago

stevenage

"

Although,in a childish way,I do find corgipoo funny "

I know a bloke who has a pooicock. True story.

By *rs DCouple  over a year ago

far

or a:

op wtf ???

or a:

All breeds were mongrels at one time.. cross bred for a specific purpose, either practical or aesthetic...no difference now.

"

As does spelling incompetence with more than one 'i'

true, or being to quick on the keyboard, we always have the grammar police quick to jump in though "

Same as the fcuking dog breeding police! Pot, kettle, black much

Hereford

or a:

By carelessly crossing 2 breeds you can end up with a combination of the worst health problems and temperament of parent breeds"

It's far, far more likley that a crossbreed won't have any of the health problems associated with it's parentage, you'd have to be very unlucky for this to happen. It's called "hybrid vigour".

It's why every slaughter generation pig is a three way cross (first x sow put to pure terminal sire), the reason that all my market lambs are a three-way cross (composite ewe, put to first cross terminal sire), cattle often tend to be first crosses though. They grow faster, get less health problems etc etc.

*peeks in to see how the crossbreed arguement is going

"*peeks in to see how the crossbreed arguement is going"

its fine, many met at a local doggers spot...not for sex of course..just to check out poochieprofiles

"What DOES annoy me is people who breed dogs that there are already thousands of in shelters. They are the ones I'd question the morals of."

As sad as it is that so many are in shelters I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't have a rescue dog. If I get another dog it will definately only be a puppie I want to know the dog inside out and to know that's it's not going to have any unknown triggers set in by previous owners due to mistreatment etc ..

I do think that the inference from breeders that these crossbreeds are a new KC registered breed and the prices charged for them is wrong.

I have a pedigree dog who is Kc Registered and I have a 8 generation pedigree. I am assured of her heritage and I knew what size she would be as adult, what she'd look like and her likely temperament. I also knew there were no congenital issues. Breeders of these new crossbreeds cannot offer the same in relation to the appearance and therefore they should not charge those kind of prices.

Having said all that though, I do like the labradoodle and the Cockerpoo, very pretty and appear to have lovely temperaments.

Hereford

"I do think that the inference from breeders that these crossbreeds are a new KC registered breed and the prices charged for them is wrong.

I have a pedigree dog who is Kc Registered and I have a 8 generation pedigree. I am assured of her heritage and I knew what size she would be as adult, what she'd look like and her likely temperament. I also knew there were no congenital issues. Breeders of these new crossbreeds cannot offer the same in relation to the appearance and therefore they should not charge those kind of prices.

Having said all that though, I do like the labradoodle and the Cockerpoo, very pretty and appear to have lovely temperaments.

"

You charge what the market will pay.

My mind does boggle when it comes to dogs...

If people want to pay top whack for a crossbred, what does it matter? At least they aren't line bred like most KC breeds (which is where the congenital issues arise in the first place).

If I were to be in the business of breeding any other animal apart from a dog (and I am), I wouldn't breed from an animal with health issues. If an animal is not fit, then why use its genetics at all?

I'm not sure any reputable breeder would breed from an animal who has health issues.

But I agree that people will pay whatever they want for a pup.

I wouldn't cos I'm a dog snob

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"In the scheme of things who gives a fuck as long as the woofers are well looked after and cared for? "

Totally agree

Hereford

"I'm not sure any reputable breeder would breed from an animal who has health issues."

Really?

Take a look at some KC dog breeds. Labradors have bad hips, pugs tend to have breathing problems, bulldogs and boxers have jaw issues, the list goes in and on....

Line breeding is a bad idea, and yet it is commonplace in the dog breeding world.

And as for price - I picked up my collie pup from good, working lines, no reg for £150. The shepherd that bred him was mostly looking to breed replacements for his own use. My working bitch I bought as a fully trained adult, no longer wanted for £300. ISDS reg, but I never asked to see her papers. I saw her work sheep, that was enough.

IMO, it is when you breed for form over function that you get these problems, because function always allows for new blood that is good at it's purpose to be bred in, and to widen the gene pool.

Of course we know that dogs can develop health issues, but reputable breeders have both parents genetically tested to try and alleviate problems.

Of course the crossbreeds are not exempt from congenital issues are they, if, as in your example, the labrador with its hip problems is bred with the pug, with its breathing issues (as unlikely that pairing would be), you have the risk of pups being exposed to two potential health risks.

Hereford

"Of course we know that dogs can develop health issues, but reputable breeders have both parents genetically tested to try and alleviate problems.

Of course the crossbreeds are not exempt from congenital issues are they, if, as in your example, the labrador with its hip problems is bred with the pug, with its breathing issues (as unlikely that pairing would be), you have the risk of pups being exposed to two potential health risks. "

Yes, buty if they didn't breed down the line, the genetic testing would be unesscessary.

And as I've already said - it's highly unlikley that your crossbred would develop the health problems of either parent. It's called hybrid vigour. You have much more chance of health issues bredding "tested" lab to lab, pug to pug.

warwickshire

"What DOES annoy me is people who breed dogs that there are already thousands of in shelters. They are the ones I'd question the morals of.

As sad as it is that so many are in shelters I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't have a rescue dog. If I get another dog it will definately only be a puppie I want to know the dog inside out and to know that's it's not going to have any unknown triggers set in by previous owners due to mistreatment etc .. "

Plenty of the dogs in shelters are pups, many are abandoned because the OWNERS are irresponsible cunts, not because they are problem dogs.

Our family dogs came from the Dogs Trust as part of a litter left in a lay-by by those loveable cheeky rogues, traditional travelling folk, over in Ireland. They get so many over there that the Shelters have to bring them to the mainland for re-homing, because they won't destroy a healthy dog. I know which curs I would happily shoot en masse, but that's another story. Like I said - "cunts".

There are adult dogs in shelters today which went there as pups, just needing a chance with a loving home. As I said earlier, "What are you waiting for?"

Anyone who thinks they are going to genuinely "know the dog inside out" from a breeder is talking bollocks, IMHO. Their job is flogging puppies, not making sure you and your dog are a match made in heaven, and ALL dogs have a deep trigger which will surface at any time, it's called "instinct". You can't determine that from "knowing" the parents, but you can keep it under control with love, attention and training.

Go to the Pound and look at the bright-eyed inmates there dying for a chance to be part of your family, I challenge you. It's the kind of visit that will tear your heart out.

"

have you only just noticed that? GSDs backs have been going downhill (literally) for years and years, if they don't look beyond the end of their noses now, there might not be enough time to bring them back to how they should be. Another breed that has massively changed is the English Bull Terrier - through bad breeding they have developed a roman nose, they never used to have one.

With dogs and their temperaments, most of it does come from the parents, the known traits of the breed, and the training of the pup, dogs must be socialised in the first 24 weeks of it's life if it is to learn how to interact and play with other dogs. If they miss that window, you get a unconfident nervous dog.

To the lady who has Leon, I would try for his skin, a good hypoallergenic kibble or wet food (the one I'm thinking of sounds like what audiences do to encourage what's going on when at a theatre.. (don't want to promote a commercial service - but different spelling, or try the BARF diet) "

All my Malamutes are brought up on the BARF diet, they don't know any better and would rather et a piece of raw meat as a treat than some dog treat

Only problem is when they catch a rabbit or some other wildlife, they then realise where dinner comes from.

"The Dick Institute "

yep Bad Nana I thought the same until they saved my dog:

The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies is a world leader in veterinary education, research, and clinical practice

They provide outstanding veterinary education at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, using an award winning curriculum, innovative teaching methods, and an interdisciplinary environment, for both our undergraduate and postgraduate students

They research spans all aspects of veterinary medicine, from molecules and genes through to animal and human populations.

They aim to make a real difference through research which is directly relevant to the improvement of health and welfare of domestic animal species and the protection of public health

Some "Dick's" are good dicks

By *atcoupleCouple  over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

or a:

stop interfer theing with the breed of dogs "

"Of course we know that dogs can develop health issues, but reputable breeders have both parents genetically tested to try and alleviate problems.

Of course the crossbreeds are not exempt from congenital issues are they, if, as in your example, the labrador with its hip problems is bred with the pug, with its breathing issues (as unlikely that pairing would be), you have the risk of pups being exposed to two potential health risks. "

yes but that is why tests are carried out, if you have excellent hip scoring of both Dam & Sire, as well as eye testing and other tests to prevent carry over and lower possibility although it may still be in the genes of a grandparent.

Look at Malamutes, back in 2009/2010 TUVAURAT MADE IN AMERICA JW ShCM won crufts, now every breeder with a bitch in heat was queueing up to breed with this dog

If you look at bloodlines of any Malamute, you will find a trace of "Highnoons" or "Shepherdsway" both breeders were excellent but used their stud dogs on far too many other breeders

I totally agree with the original OP it infuriates me when people looking to make a quick buck cross breed dogs in such a way.

I know about dogs I know about blood lines and breeding as my family have bred and shown all my life.

In our breed the dogs can suffer hip displacia, heart conditions, epilepsy, and have serious eye conditions. We have researched years of pedigrees, to ensure when we bred we used dogs that didn't have problems although you can obviously get a rogue one every now and then. We even went overseas to import dogs because of a specific blood line. We have used ivf methods to try and improve too after a long legal battle.

And as it stands still in the uk my parents were the only kennals in the uk to have 5 generations of champions and all condition free.

The problem arises when people get greedy breed for money not love of improving a specific breed. Animals that are crossed then have double the health problems when owners then can't afford vet bills or the dog is deemed as too much trouble it's given away, re sold, or ends up in a rescue.

I feel the kennal club really need to tighten up on regulations and no one should be given the title of reputable breeder without rules being followed.

A reputable breeder isn't a family who have had a couple of litters to make money, a breeder is someone who is trying to improve health conditions in there chosen breed.

I think this has been proved with German Shepard it disgusts me what people have done to that breed and the standards on the breed the kennal club have set.

But that's the kennal club all over!.

Get a cat

Learn about true symbiosis with nature.

The fact that we both rely on each other but natures love is cruel and selfish.

Seriously get a cat and learn that you are not the most important thing in this world lol cat ownership is one of the most humbling experiences a human can have.

And despite popular belief and the Western norm, cats are our oldest and most popular animal friends.

Hereford

Of course the crossbreeds are not exempt from congenital issues are they, if, as in your example, the labrador with its hip problems is bred with the pug, with its breathing issues (as unlikely that pairing would be), you have the risk of pups being exposed to two potential health risks.

yes but that is why tests are carried out, if you have excellent hip scoring of both Dam & Sire, as well as eye testing and other tests to prevent carry over and lower possibility although it may still be in the genes of a grandparent.

Look at Malamutes, back in 2009/2010 TUVAURAT MADE IN AMERICA JW ShCM won crufts, now every breeder with a bitch in heat was queueing up to breed with this dog

If you look at bloodlines of any Malamute, you will find a trace of "Highnoons" or "Shepherdsway" both breeders were excellent but used their stud dogs on far too many other breeders"

And if they weren't line bred in the first place.......

"Get a cat

Seriously get a cat and learn that you are not the most important thing in this world lol cat ownership is one of the most humbling experiences a human can have.

And despite popular belief and the Western norm, cats are our oldest and most popular animal friends."

Single most offensive thing that anyone has ever suggested I do on here. Ew.

"Get a cat

And despite popular belief and the Western norm, cats are our oldest and most popular animal friends."

the only cat I would be interested in requires a "dangerous, wild or exotic animal" Licence, and I do not consider the location of my home nor 2 acres of land large enough for this breed

There are only 6 breeds of dogs in the world left that are not man made everything else is a mongrel

Just some humans have decided we are now calling this mongrel a pure breed

It wont be long before the kennal club recognises dogs such as labradoodles and they will no longer be mongrels

Well its been an interesting debate, some nice comments, and a 24 hour thread from start to finish

Dogs aren't technically what you'd call wild animals that have been domesticated, there lineage comes from the canis family and selective breeding for hundreds and hundreds of years and thousands of generations!.

99.99% of which were bred for a purpose... When folk say let's get back to how German shepherds should be or how boxers should be... Should be when is my question? 50 years ago, 200 years ago, they were totally different in those two periods, that's called breeding, you can NEVER keep them how they were! and selective breeding slows down the "change" but adds to the health problems....

If you don't get that look at the specific health problem of humans in small island communities or indeed why American/Jamaican Africans dominate sprinting!.

I mean what do you think would happen if we rounded up the few hundred female models of the world and bred them only with a few hundred male models?.... You'd still get some ugly kids and these would be of no use so your gene pool would narrow and narrow by the generation! Eventually all the kids would be beautiful but unfortunately all bumping there heads together through idiocy!...