FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > wooten basset

wooten basset

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

so, the mod is now considering closing brize, which means that bodies being repatriated will need to fly to another airport where they will be straight on the motorway to oxford...meaning that the current trend for parades to welcome them home will come to an end.

some things should just be respected and left in place because they are the right.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

I could'nt agree more

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Coming from an army background myself, I totally agree with you, we all need to show respect xxx

seconded. the minute we choose cost over pride, we have lost all that we are fighting for.

a parade is the very least these brave soldiers deserve for thier ultimate sacrifice.

By *ashful BazMan  over a year ago

poole dorset

"seconded. the minute we choose cost over pride, we have lost all that we are fighting for.

a parade is the very least these brave soldiers deserve for thier ultimate sacrifice.

"

Quite agree, well said.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Sorry, how does a change of airfield guarantee no parades through a random town?

Surely there's every chance that any airfield chosen instead will have a twon/village between it and the nearest motorway?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

The bodies come into RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire not Brize Norton don't they?

Thats why they go through Wooton Basset

"The bodies come into RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire not Brize Norton don't they?

Thats why they go through Wooton Basset"

sorry, they're suggesting landing them in brize....which is straight onto a motorway.

the road that runs through wb is affectionately known as the hero's mile and there is a petition in place to have it officially named that

THINK ! this lot are ruthless ,redundancy in the armed forces .and shutting military airfields ,our soldiers airmen and navy was the best in the world ,wot are this lot doing to us ? our HEROES .deserve the best ,and as they are fighting in afghanistan we should fight for them here , am a x soldier ,and very proud , FRANKIE XX

Forum Mod

O o O oo

sorry, they're suggesting landing them in brize....which is straight onto a motorway.

the road that runs through wb is affectionately known as the hero's mile and there is a petition in place to have it officially named that"

Ah right, thats probably because Lyneham is closing in 2012.

the road that runs through wb is affectionately known as the hero's mile and there is a petition in place to have it officially named that

Ah right, thats probably because Lyneham is closing in 2012."

i understood that to be a proposal?

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

More than just a proposal, I'm afraid.

2012 is when the older generation of Hercs, which are based at Lyneham, are to be retired. When that happens, the base will be closed and the newer Hercs moved to Brize.

Hadn't heard that Brize is closing though - that's news to me

By *ooty and suuCouple  over a year ago

barnsley

this country voted this lot in

all they care about is money

they dont care who they hurt

the whole country should make a stand

and support everyone effected

the poor soldiers died for us fighting

shouldnt we show them our support by making a stand for them

this is the least we could do

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"

"

Brize is at least 10 miles from both the M4 and M40, and 1 mile from Carterton.

swindon

"this country voted this lot in

this is the least we could do "

To be fair, the decision about Lyneham's closure was made years and years ago. It's not something that's only happened since the current government came into power.

swindon

"

Brize is at least 10 miles from both the M4 and M40, and 1 mile from Carterton."

I think it's nearer 20 miles to get to either motorway... I'm probably slap bang in the middle of Brize and the M4.

"this country voted this lot in

this is the least we could do

absolutely true ,we should get rid of this lot sharpish .

To be fair, the decision about Lyneham's closure was made years and years ago. It's not something that's only happened since the current government came into power."

wooton basset has become a symbol of a nations grief and it should be allowed to continue..where ever they bring those brave soldiers home, they should always go through wooton basset...

The guys returning home in coffins aren't really going to give a shit about which town they're paraded through, are they?

Personally, if it was my son coming home in a box I feel that he'd done his bit for his country and I'd want him back privately so that as a family we could bury him in peace, not used by politicians to garner support for a war we shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

So what that Lyneham is closing. If it's outlived it's usefulness then it should close. My family ancestral home is Wootton Bassett and up until they started driving dead soldiers through the town nobody had ever really worried about the place.

And that ain't the fookin Tories fault!!

swindon

"absolutely true ,we should get rid of this lot sharpish"

I'm confused. It was Bob Ainsworth who has effectively closed down Lyneham. He was a Labour minister. We already got rid of that lot.

As SDM and I have pointed out, Brize Norton is further away from a motorway than Lyneham is, so the chances of there not being an equivalent show of respect once the repatriation starts happening at Brize is slim.

"wooton basset has become a symbol of a nations grief and it should be allowed to continue..where ever they bring those brave soldiers home, they should always go through wooton basset..."

Nation's grief my arse. Most of couldn't name five dead soldiers without googling it.

swindon

"wooton basset has become a symbol of a nations grief and it should be allowed to continue..where ever they bring those brave soldiers home, they should always go through wooton basset..."

Ironically, though, the coffins only pass through Wootton Bassett because the repatriation was moved from Brize to Lyneham due to construction work happening at BZN (and some rumours about the efficiency of the Oxfordshire coroners).

swindon

Ever since I was a kid I've always associated Wootton Bassett with a certain girl I knew who lived there... she was gorgeous.

what you on about childish...its not childish its out right anger on my part..yes its emotive and disrespect should be considered for those being posted about,as well as members imho..

"what you on about childish...its not childish its out right anger on my part..yes its emotive and disrespect should be considered for those being posted about,as well as members imho.."

Typeing "arse hole you really are" isn't what adults do, its playground mentality so think on. As for showing disrespect well i don't think the OP did. Many involved with the armed forces view the events as propaganda at times and many would prefer to grieve in private.

"what you on about childish...its not childish its out right anger on my part..yes its emotive and disrespect should be considered for those being posted about,as well as members imho.."

Nope, childish was the word that sprang to my mind reading your post too. It seems you're allowed your view but anyone who has a different viewpoint is a... what was your word... ah, yes, fuck wit.

THAT'S childish.

"what you on about childish...its not childish its out right anger on my part..yes its emotive and disrespect should be considered for those being posted about,as well as members imho..

Typeing "arse hole you really are" isn't what adults do, its playground mentality so think on. As for showing disrespect well i don't think the OP did. Many involved with the armed forces view the events as propaganda at times and many would prefer to grieve in private. "

I watched a very interesting programme last night called 'The War You Dont See' - and if that programme is correct, we should NOT be in Afghanistan at all.

A 2000lb laser guided bomb saw the heat signatures of 100+ people in a building and zeroed in on it, killing most inside... who were women, children and babies. The bodies left intact were buried in their own graves but the bits and pieces of some 50 souls were put in a mass grave because they couldn't identify them. Tiny hands and feet, heads without bodies.

Some Taliban huh?

"what you on about childish...its not childish its out right anger on my part..yes its emotive and disrespect should be considered for those being posted about,as well as members imho..

Typeing "arse hole you really are" isn't what adults do, its playground mentality so think on. As for showing disrespect well i don't think the OP did. Many involved with the armed forces view the events as propaganda at times and many would prefer to grieve in private. "

wasnt referring to the op at all but to some one else,as you,d have noticed if you read it properly..

as for childish,who gives a fuck..my choice.

Typeing "arse hole you really are" isn't what adults do, its playground mentality so think on. As for showing disrespect well i don't think the OP did. Many involved with the armed forces view the events as propaganda at times and many would prefer to grieve in private.

I watched a very interesting programme last night called 'The War You Dont See' - and if that programme is correct, we should NOT be in Afghanistan at all.

A 2000lb laser guided bomb saw the heat signatures of 100+ people in a building and zeroed in on it, killing most inside... who were women, children and babies. The bodies left intact were buried in their own graves but the bits and pieces of some 50 souls were put in a mass grave because they couldn't identify them. Tiny hands and feet, heads without bodies.

Some Taliban huh?"

War is never pretty no matter how you look at it. Should we be there? Well probably yes but there is also justification for not being their too.

Civilian casulties will happen, never nice at all. Often intelegence is wrong, often insergents hide within the civilian population to try and create things like that.

The question we have to ask our selves is "would we rather ground troops go in with more British/coalition casualties and more bodies coming home?

Yes civilians die which isn't good at all. However i am willing to bet more die around the world through malnutrition and preventable illnesses that we in the west could prevent by giving more aid.

wasnt referring to the op at all but to some one else,as you,d have noticed if you read it properly..

as for childish,who gives a fuck..my choice."

And once again you prove you are immature and childish. We all have the right to an opinion and mine is that your childish and immature and i am sure I am not on my own.

And once again you prove you are immature and childish. We all have the right to an opinion and mine is that your childish and immature and i am sure I am not on my own."

yes you are and i respect your opinion ..if your goal is to say things so others agree with you, or play teacher then carry on..my opinion is your a busy body who should mind his own business

And once again you prove you are immature and childish. We all have the right to an opinion and mine is that your childish and immature and i am sure I am not on my own.

yes you are and i respect your opinion ..if your goal is to say things so others agree with you, or play teacher then carry on..my opinion is your a busy body who should mind his own business"

Immature attitude once again! I could become personal and trade insults asking you if you have small bloke syndrome. So seeing as its late ill drop down a bit to your level and ask you!

Shortie is your lack of height making you pretend to be the tough guy? Because it isn't working at all and your lack of intellect is really as apparent as your childish side. That good enough for you then?

yes you are and i respect your opinion ..if your goal is to say things so others agree with you, or play teacher then carry on..my opinion is your a busy body who should mind his own business

Immature attitude once again! I could become personal and trade insults asking you if you have small bloke syndrome. So seeing as its late ill drop down a bit to your level and ask you!

Shortie is your lack of height making you pretend to be the tough guy? Because it isn't working at all and your lack of intellect is really as apparent as your childish side. That good enough for you then?"

oh dear,you have let your self down havnt you?..you called me childish and immature..i called you a busy body..niether a serious insult im sure you,ll agree.looks like you can give but not take doesnt it,as you,ve actually stooped to personal insults..does your height make you feel big? superior in some way..as to my intellect, you have no idea bar a few ramblings on here,and i honestly dont care enough to sit with a dictionary..

climb down off that huge horse you on and get a life..

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Isnt arsehole and fuckwit personal remarks, at least this is entertaining at this time in the morning

"Isnt arsehole and fuckwit personal remarks, at least this is entertaining at this time in the morning "

they are indeed,and to be honest i didnt realise the "rules" in the forums regarding such things..

"War is never pretty no matter how you look at it. Should we be there? Well probably yes but there is also justification for not being their too.

Civilian casulties will happen, never nice at all. Often intelegence is wrong, often insergents hide within the civilian population to try and create things like that.

The question we have to ask our selves is "would we rather ground troops go in with more British/coalition casualties and more bodies coming home?

Yes civilians die which isn't good at all. However i am willing to bet more die around the world through malnutrition and preventable illnesses that we in the west could prevent by giving more aid."

The programme I watched gave approximate civilian casualty figures for WW1, which was 10%, WW2 was 50%, Vietnam was 70% but in Afghanistan the figures are 90%... and from the footage that was shown the Americans were firing indiscriminately at groups of people on the ground using comments such as, "waste those motherfuckers, man". There is a lot of things wrong about this 'war' and we are winning no hearts and minds over there. Russia couldn't take Afghanistan and they lost 10,000 troups trying to. If we stay there we'll lose the same amount, and achieve nothing.

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

The agreement for closing Lynham was agreed under the Labour Government.

Brize will handle all that is flown through it and will save a huge amount of money...... money which needs to be saved to help get this country out of its current economic mess.

But who has said that the bodies won't be repatriated through Wootten Basset?

As it's not happening until 2012, why don't people just be patient and see what happens!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Great, even a thread about dead soldiers can start a row.

Wishy, just because people can't name five soldiers who have died doesn't mean we don't have any compassion for what is going on...your post was provocitive on already an emotive thread so I am not surprised people got the hump.

It isn't worth mentioning the man/woman who retaliated as he has gone now.

Sorry OP....if you want to start another one about the subject it isn't a problem, hopefully as the subject is a sensitive it won't go belly up a second time.