FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > D Day Celebrations and the Royal Family

D Day Celebrations and the Royal Family

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just looked at a photo on AOL News which shows President Obama, Gordon Brown and other world leaders stood together.

All of these guys were dressed appropriately for the rememberence with one exception - Prince Charles !!

Yes he was the odd man out, standing in his finery wearing his medals.

Medals FFS!! what has he done do warrant a medal ? Could he not have forsaken his medals one day and shown a little bit of humility and allowed the real heroes to be remembered in style

After all was to commemorate the 65th anniversay of the death of so many people who fought to save our country not a fashion parade for Prince Charles.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Think he might of earnt some of them!

Military Career

The Prince of Wales currently holds the ranks of Admiral in the Royal Navy, Air Chief Marshal in the Royal Air Force and General in the Army.

His Royal Highness began his career in the Armed Services in March 1971, when he started a four-month attachment with the Royal Air Force at Cranwell, Lincolnshire.

The Prince had already gained his private pilot's licence, and flew himself to Cranwell on 8th March, in a twin-engined Basset of The Queen's Flight, to start advanced training to qualify as a jet pilot.

Flight Lieutenant The Prince of Wales was awarded his RAF wings at Cranwell on 20th August 1971.

On 15th September, The Prince joined the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, under the graduate entry scheme, as Acting Sub-Lieutenant. The Duke of Edinburgh, and his great-uncle, Lord Mountbatten, had both been at Dartmouth.

Nearly two months later The Prince flew in a troop-carrying RAF Britannia to join the destroyer HMS Norfolk at Gibraltar. While training for his bridge watch-keeping certificate, The Prince attended a one-day course in escaping from a submarine, at HMS Dolphin, Gosport.

This included an exercise during which he was released from a chamber 100ft below the surface of a water tank. In February 1972, The Prince attended a one-day course in the submarine HMS Churchill.

During the next two and a half years, The Prince attended a four-month course at Portsmouth and served on four more ships. A 1974 Pacific voyage on the frigate HMS Jupiter included calls at Singapore, New Zealand, Tonga, Western Samoa, Honolulu, San Francisco, Acapulco and Bermuda. On 1st May 1973, The Prince of Wales was promoted to Acting Lieutenant.

On 2nd September 1974 The Prince joined the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton for helicopter flying training before being assigned to 845 Naval Air Squadron as a pilot on board the commando carrier HMS Hermes.

Following a lieutenant's course at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, The Prince was given command of his own ship, the minehunter HMS Bronington, for the final ten months of his active service in the Royal Navy ending on 15th December 1976.

The following January he was promoted to the rank of Commander. He was promoted again on his 40th birthday in 1988, to Captain in the Royal Navy and Group Captain in the Royal Air Force.

On 14th November 1998, the Ministry of Defence announced that The Prince of Wales had been promoted to "2-star" Rank in all three Services of the Armed Forces to coincide with his 50th birthday.

His Royal Highness was again promoted in all three Services on his 54th birthday in 2002 becoming Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy, Air Marshal in the Royal Air Force and Lieutenant General in the Army.

In 2006, The Prince was promoted to Admiral in the Royal Navy, General in the Army and Air Chief Marshal in the Royal Air Force.

The Prince of Wales holds honorary rank and appointments in many branches and regiments of the Armed Services.

On being appointed Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute Regiment, a few months before he was 30, The Prince asked to take part in the parachute training course.

The Prince felt he could not "look them in the eye" or wear the Parachute Regiment's famous beret and wings badge unless he had done the course, he told his biographer, Jonathan Dimbleby, 15 years later.

"I felt I should lead from the front or at least be able to do some of the things that one expects others to do for the country," said The Prince.

Ships

The Prince of Wales was made Admiral of the Royal Navy in 2006.

By the time he left in 1977, His Royal Highness had completed more than five years active service in the Royal Navy.

By joining The Royal Navy, His Royal Highness was following in the footsteps of his father, The Duke of Edinburgh, grandfather, King George VI and two great-grandfathers. The Prince joined the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, in September 1971 and nearly two months later left to join his first ship. See below for a timeline of The Prince's naval career.

15th September to 29th October - The Prince of Wales was at the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, Devon, under the graduate entry scheme, as an Acting Sub-Lieutenant.

5th November - HRH joined HMS Norfolk, a guided missile destroyer.

24th January - HRH attended a one-day course in a submarine escape chamber, HMS Dolphin (a shore establishment at Gosport, Hants).

13th February - HRH attended a one-day course in the submarine HMS Churchill.

14th July - HRH started a four-month course at Portsmouth.

November - HRH joined HMS Minerva, a Leander class frigate.

27th November - HRH joined the minesweeper HMS Glasserton for two weeks while HMS Minerva was undergoing refit.

February - HRH sailed to the West Indies in HMS Minerva

April to May - HRH was seconded to the survey ship HMS Fox on West Indies Station.

1st May - HRH promoted to Acting Lieutenant.

August - HRH returned in late August to the United Kingdom in HMS Minerva.

2nd September until 14th December - HRH pursued a course at Portsmouth.

4th January - HRH joined another Leander class frigate, HMS Jupiter, in Far Eastern waters.

17th August - HRH left HMS Jupiter at Plymouth.

2nd September to 20th January 1975 - HRH joined the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton for helicopter flying training until 13th December, and then pursued further helicopter training before joining 845 Squadron (Wessex V Commando Support Squadron).

March to June - HRH embarked in HMS Hermes with 845 Squadron (to Caribbean and Eastern Canadian waters).

22nd September - HRH began Lieutenant's course at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich.

12th January - HRH appointed to the minehunter HMS Bronington. Until 6th February he was at the shore establishment HMS Vernon, RN torpedo and submarine diving school, at Portsmouth.

9th February - HRH took up command of HMS Bronington.

15th December - HRH relinquished his command of HMS Bronington, on the final day of his active service in the Royal Navy.

16th December - HRH paid a farewell call on the First Sea Lord.

31st December - HRH ended his terminal leave when he was relieved from active service.

1st January - HRH was promoted to the rank of Commander. By that date The Prince of Wales had completed just over five years' service in the Royal Navy.

14th November - The Prince was promoted to the rank of Admiral in the Royal Navy.

Flying

The Prince of Wales currently holds the rank of Air Chief Marshal in the Royal Air Force.

30th July – The Prince flies a plane for the first time aged 19 - during a series of flights in a dual-control Chipmunk T10 trainer plane at RAF Tangmere in Sussex.

October 1968 to August 1969 - The Prince was taught to fly in a Chipmunk under the auspices of The Queen's Flight. His instructor was Squadron Leader Philip Pinney.

14th January - The Prince’s first solo flight was from RAF Bassingbourn after 14 hours 30 minutes instruction.

2nd August - a year after his first flight, His Royal Highness had logged more than 80 hours in the Chipmunk and had completed all the air and ground syllabus required for the Preliminary Flying Badge normally awarded to members of University Air Squadrons. Although The Prince was not a member of the Cambridge squadron, he was presented with his badge on 2nd August 1969, by the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief RAF Training Command.

2nd February - His Royal Highness passed the necessary Board of Trade examinations for a Private Pilot's Licence after graduating to a twin-engined Beagle Bassett, flying mostly from RAF Oakington near Cambridge.

March - The Prince joined No 1 Graduate Entry at RAF Cranwell to undertake his advanced flying training in two Jet Provost Mk 5s, under the guidance of Squadron Leader R E Johns, who had taken over as his instructor that January.

20th August - The Prince was awarded his wings by the Chief of the Air Staff on a parade attended by The Duke of Edinburgh. Because of his flying experience, His Royal Highness entered the Royal Air Force with the rank of Flight Lieutenant and was known as Flight Lieutenant The Prince of Wales.

29th July - towards the end of his stay at Cranwell, The Prince of Wales, accompanied by two fellow cadets, made his first parachute drop from an Andover into Studland Bay, Dorset.

15th September - His Royal Highness joined the Royal Navy and from September 1974 to July 1975 carried out helicopter training on the Wessex before being assigned to 845 Naval Air Squadron as a pilot on board the commando carrier HMS Hermes.

17th October - The Prince of Wales began instruction on the Andovers of The Queen's Flight, and for several years he piloted the aircraft himself during some part of each flight when using an Andover or Wessex for official visits.

April - The Prince became Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute Regiment in 1977 and completed a parachute course at RAF Brize Norton in April 1978.

November - The Prince undertook a two-day conversion course at RAF Benson, Oxfordshire, to enable him to take the controls of the BAe 146-100 four-engine jets which replaced the propeller-driven Andovers in The Queen's Flight.

July - The Prince of Wales decided that he would no longer pilot royal aircraft.

November - On The Prince's 50th birthday (14th November 1998) the Ministry of Defence announced that His Royal Highness had been promoted to "2-star" Rank in all three Services of the Armed Forces. The Prince was given the rank of Group Captain in the Royal Air Force.

14th November - His Royal Highness was again promoted in all three Services on his 54th birthday in 2002.

Any others that are awarded are usually due to his status as The Prince of Wales and as a matter of centuries old protocol and traditions.

14th November - His Royal Highness was again promoted in all three Services on his 58th birthday in 2006. The Prince now holds the rank of Air Chief Marshal in the Royal Air Force.

WOW that has so got to be the longest answer posted on here...runs around with her pants on her head.

How impressive the internet is for research ...

But he hasn't seen action, he hasnt risked his life so deserves bollox all

His Royal Highness my arse

lmao, well I certainly wasnt going to copy it all out!

Many service personnel end up with medals loving called blue peter badges...they also display them when at ceremonial services.

HRH is no different

Ok I said it was impressive - you can take you pants of your head now ..;-)

wow someone is well informed about the royal family

"Ok I said it was impressive - you can take you pants of your head now ..;-)"

but i think they look very fetching!

do I have too?

"wow someone is well informed about the royal family"

Ahem.....internet lol.

Andrew on the other hand...well thats a different story...winks.x

"wow someone is well informed about the royal family

Ahem.....internet lol.

Andrew on the other hand...well thats a different story...winks.x"

Is he a faggot ?

nope, he is quite delicious

"nope, he is quite delicious"

But some faggots are also quite delicious

"nope, he is quite delicious

But some faggots are also quite delicious "

true.

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

true."

Especially with onion gravy!

true.

Especially with onion gravy!"

Now there's lovely ..

Totally agree with op. But I'm sure there's some military tradition where you have you wear every medal you ever earned (sic) for formal dress occasions.

The wearing of medals is a personal choice as some feel humbled by them and that they didn't really earn them (you know the sort: I was just doing my job etc - I think those guys deserve medals more than anyone else). Other people wear them with pride as they know what they went through to get them.

As for the D-Day Celebrations: It was always intended to be a low key affair in Northern France, as it has been for the last 50 years. Even our twattish leader Brown had decided he didn't want to go, but then Obama decided it would be a great grandstand for him and Sarkozy so wants to suck his cock anyway that the two of them decided to make it a formal celebration, which in turn meant that Brown couldn't be upstaged and wangled himself an invite - and tacked a couple of invites on for a few royals!

The Queen had enough dignity to realise that she hadn't been invited in the first place and wasn't going to be a pawn in anyone's political shannanigans and asked Charles to go in her place.

Charles, also one for telling politicians to go fuck themselves (although he has learned how to play the game with them a bit) decided that he would wear his medals with pride as each medal pinned on Charle'c chest is a medal for the brave boys who died fighting various wars for Britain whose bodies were never recovered - that's why he wears them.

If you're anti-Royal then that's your business but don't criticise a man who had worked tirelessly for this country - a country that he will one day rule - and he always shows his respect for British personnel who have died defending it!

But femme's answer to the OP was better than anything I could ever have said.

Facts -v- Ignorance - no contest really.

Maybe it just shows how little the others have done...

I always though that you entered politics to serve your country and take the rewards after. Now you enter politics as a job and take all you can...

If your an anti royalist just say so

But remember, the alternatives will be worst, honest.

"Maybe it just shows how little the others have done...

I always though that you entered politics to serve your country and take the rewards after. Now you enter politics as a job and take all you can...

But remember, the alternatives will be worst, honest."

Hmmm... President Brown! .. fuck, pass me a bucket please!

By *pecializedMan  over a year ago

newcastle/northumberland

lets all pack up and leave

But remember, the alternatives will be worst, honest.

Hmmm... President Brown! .. fuck, pass me a bucket please!"

And anyone says it will save money, any money diverted from the Royal Family will just end up being spent of a president, which will want a grander things that we have now, as we will still likely have a Prime minister...

well the thing about running round with pants on yer head was the thing that grabbed my attention pmsl....if ever out on youtube...please pm me haha!!

[Removed by poster at 07/06/09 09:40:44]

[Removed by poster at 07/06/09 10:06:03]

lets remember what Spike Milligan(who was awarded a few) said about medals,"medals are like piles, in the end every arsehole gets one" I was awarded a handfull during my 25 yrs service and still sear them with pride.

"lets remember what Spike Milligan(who was awarded a few) said about medals,"medals are like piles, in the end every arsehole gets one" I was awarded a handfull during my 25 yrs service and still sear them with pride."

And so you should wear them with pride, they key to that pride being '25 years of service'

I'm not anti royalist,quite indifferent really,but I remember when I was a kid asking my dad why we had a queen. He said it was to stop us having dictators.

Well it seems to me we've had both over the years,running alongside each other.

XXXX

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

Slightly off topic ,however, in a way the method of selecting a king or a queen was a early form of democracy bexically consisting of who had the biggest army and consequently most supporters ..this means we had many changes of "house" ...hoewver can anyone ever imagine The house of windsor falling .I think not .

The government can only call out the Army for war with permission of the monarch and this acts as a safety feature against a coup de tat in this country..It is therefor logical that Royals should be high ranking officers

I am not saying this is right or wrong ,just the way it is .

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"

Hmmm... President Brown! .. fuck, pass me a bucket please!"

Pass me a gun

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

I watched the coverage of the ceremony at the American cemetry and was impressed by the speaches of both President Nicholas Sarkozy and President Barac Obama. Ok I know they don't write them, but the delivery was fantastic!

Prime minister Stephen Harper ruined the flow of his speach by switching between French and English.... Gordon Brown... Nuff said! I know the guy has a few problems, but fidgety in the service and a speach that if I remember rightly was a rehash of the speach given in 2004!

Prince Charles was for me, a welcome addition to any stage and event. Love him or hate him, you have to admit that he stirs up political storm when he speaks!!! lol I like the guy and think if you strip away the lighthearted words, he is never far from the mark.

One last thing from me on this... Why do some feel the need to be disparaging about the looks of others??? Camilla may not be your tase in ladies, but she is also a human being who deserves respect. I would susspect that those making fun of her are the ones who have their own insecurities....

There, see what you made me do???? Grrrrrrr

Northants

"lets remember what Spike Milligan(who was awarded a few) said about medals,"medals are like piles, in the end every arsehole gets one" I was awarded a handfull during my 25 yrs service and still sear them with pride.

And so you should wear them with pride, they key to that pride being '25 years of service'

"

And Prince Charles has a whole life of "Service"... I woldn't want his life...

"Camilla may not be your tase in ladies, but she is also a human being who deserves respect. I would susspect that those making fun of her are the ones who have their own insecurities...."

Insecure?.. Moi?.. not a chance lol..

I just think it's bloody funny to make jokes about horsey-face. She shouldn't have fucked about with Diana's hubby should she... and cheat on her own hubby at the same time... and we all know how we feel about cheats on here, don't we, there's been enough debates about it.

I for one like Camilla, she is utterly charming.

We quite like Charlie,he should have become King when the Queen reached retirement age.

Lets face it,if it had been Charlies choice of bride instead of the Queen he'd have married Camilla in the first place.She's a lot better suited to him than Diana was.

We were never fan's of Di,anyone who couldn't look folk in the eye when they're speaking wasn't to be trusted.

XXXX

Northants

"Insecure?.. Moi?.. not a chance lol..

I just think it's bloody funny to make jokes about horsey-face. She shouldn't have fucked about with Diana's hubby should she... and cheat on her own hubby at the same time... and we all know how we feel about cheats on here, don't we, there's been enough debates about it."

As I undestand it, Diana was the first to stray in that marriage! And that fact was never denied by any of the parties!!

Still, this is NOT supposed to be a debate about Camilla and your opinion of her. Like all of us she cannot help what she looks like. Just a thought... How many people on here are reading your post and wondering what you think of them? Great advert for what is supposed to be a tolerant lifestyle.

Personally i do not like the Royal family and can't wait for them to go away and be forgotten. If anyone had seen that panorama documentary showing what a bunch of criminal, money grabbing parasites they are i would be surprised to see so much support being shown them.

Long live the Republic!

Yeah, because in a Republic we'd have 'elected' criminal, money grabbing parasites

"Yeah, because in a Republic we'd have 'elected' criminal, money grabbing parasites"

Yes but they would be an elected parasite that wouldn't cost so much and who could be removed from office unlike the Royal family.

» Add a new message to this topic