FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wooo Hooo! IT'S BLUE!!!! (with a tiny smidgeon of Yellow) Pt.VI

Wooo Hooo! IT'S BLUE!!!! (with a tiny smidgeon of Yellow) Pt.VI

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Finally!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaa!!

Bye Bye Brown, Hello Blue!!!

I am sooooo happy ...

H.A.P.P.Y - We plan to help your day go by...

So do we have to call him King Dave the First then?

...and if reports are to be believed it's a full coalition with the Liberals - 90 years in the wilderness and now they're back in power.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

congrats on yer new born.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Finally!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaa!!

Bye Bye Brown, Hello Blue!!!

I am sooooo happy ...

H.A.P.P.Y - We plan to help your day go by...

So do we have to call him King Dave the First then?

...and if reports are to be believed it's a full coalition with the Liberals - 90 years in the wilderness and now they're back in power. "

WISHY, WAS IT REALLY NECCESARY TO START YET ANOTHER POLITICAL THREAD????

PS. you need to fuck more

"

"

Well, he ain't walking yet but we hope he will be a quick learner and up and running by, say, tomorrow morning??

"WISHY, WAS IT REALLY NECCESARY TO START YET ANOTHER POLITICAL THREAD????

PS. you need to fuck more "

But, but, but..... IT'S BLUE!!!

Did someone mention fuck??

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Did someone mention fuck?? "

If its blue you need to loosen ya cock ring

Bradford

Did someone mention fuck?? "

i think that was Gordo,

or was it Alan Johnson

or Miliband

certainly wasnt wacqui Jacqui

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

so is it all over now??

can we all go back to not caring about it now???

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

it better be a good deal... I don't see how this can work and the referendum on AV or whatever form of it better be in the first year...

I can just see cameron calling a snap election... I give it 6-9 months tops....

Clegg I fear has ruined all the lib dem gains he has made in the north.... and won't end up getting any electoral reform at all.... he can kiss goodbye to scotland and wales.....

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

is that it official then?? well lets see what happens over the next few months!! xx

I AM GUTTED!

"is that it official then?? well lets see what happens over the next few months!! xx"

Not official but Brown's been moving out of No.10.

Before anything can be declared publicly they all have to liase with Buckingham Palace so the Queen can get ready to receive Brown and then Cameron shortly afterwards. It all takes time to arrange I guess but reports say a full coalition between The Conservatives and the Liberals. Nobody knows who's going to get which cabinet post but if it's a full coalition they'll be a few Liberals in government.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"is that it official then?? well lets see what happens over the next few months!! xx

Before anything can be declared publicly they all have to liase with Buckingham Palace so the Queen can get ready to receive Brown and then Cameron shortly afterwards. It all takes time to arrange I guess but reports say a full coalition between The Conservatives and the Liberals. Nobody knows who's going to get which cabinet post but if it's a full coalition they'll be a few Liberals in government."

i hope she uses lube if shes doing DP

evesham

"is that it official then?? well lets see what happens over the next few months!! xx

Before anything can be declared publicly they all have to liase with Buckingham Palace so the Queen can get ready to receive Brown and then Cameron shortly afterwards. It all takes time to arrange I guess but reports say a full coalition between The Conservatives and the Liberals. Nobody knows who's going to get which cabinet post but if it's a full coalition they'll be a few Liberals in government.i hope she uses lube if shes doing DP "

no....Cameron is having sloppy seconds as he is going in shortly after Brown

Bradford

Before anything can be declared publicly they all have to liase with Buckingham Palace so the Queen can get ready to receive Brown and then Cameron shortly afterwards. It all takes time to arrange I guess but reports say a full coalition between The Conservatives and the Liberals. Nobody knows who's going to get which cabinet post but if it's a full coalition they'll be a few Liberals in government."

hey wishy, i before e except after c or whether it belongs in liaise

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Before anything can be declared publicly they all have to liase with Buckingham Palace so the Queen can get ready to receive Brown and then Cameron shortly afterwards. It all takes time to arrange I guess but reports say a full coalition between The Conservatives and the Liberals. Nobody knows who's going to get which cabinet post but if it's a full coalition they'll be a few Liberals in government.i hope she uses lube if shes doing DP

no....Cameron is having sloppy seconds as he is going in shortly after Brown "

well being conservative im sure hes been used to that

Wow, that was heartfelt, I actually feel sorry for the guy now. I guess he meant to do well but it never worked out for him.

Better than nowt I suppose xx

part of the problem with the politics in this country is that it gets so partisan, and it's whipped up by the (mainly right-wing) media. Some of the comments about Brown have been disgraceful, ungenerous and frankly ignorant.

By *osiephillCouple  over a year ago

The High Peak

god help us

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

The good thing to come out of this is that (for a very short while at least) Clegg and the Lib Dem MP's will be able to reign in the Tories to a certain extent, so no sweeping cuts of Tax Credits for working class families.

I'll give it until November then we will see Cameron calling a snap election.....before there has been an AV referendum, then Clegg will be left to explain to all those that voted for him why he sold his soul to the devil.

"god help us"

yeah a bit like he has for the last 13 years Not xx

By *exeteraWoman  over a year ago

Bridgend

"Better than nowt I suppose xx "

Damn, we have a green party and they only got one MP elected

If it's a full coalition I'm not sure Cameron can call an election before an AB referendum. Surely Clegg would have anticipated such an eventuality and had a clause to prevent Cameron doing just that. He'd be a fool if he hasn't got a guarantee there won't be a snap election.

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

Thanks gopd someone is reighning in the tories

thank goodness my X was not wasted last week.

good luck David and team.

Bridgend

Still no formal decision re: the blues and yellows

Torquay

"If it's a full coalition I'm not sure Cameron can call an election before an AB referendum. Surely Clegg would have anticipated such an eventuality and had a clause to prevent Cameron doing just that. He'd be a fool if he hasn't got a guarantee there won't be a snap election."

As they stated the other night on Newsnight the majority party in any coalition can force a general election without the minority party/ies being able to veto it.

They also confirmed that there is no contract that will stand in law as White Papers that go into a Queens Speech are not covered by British domestic law.

We all know that there is always stuff in the Queens Speech that NEVER sees the light of day.

"thank goodness my X was not wasted last week.

good luck David and team."

Hear hear now let's try and get outta this fooking mess xx

Torquay

According to SKY sources Clegg will be deputy Prime Minister, fat lot of good it did John Prescott, he never managed to dictate policy to Blair.

Torquay

All of a sudden......Opposition looks like a pretty good place to be.

"it better be a good deal... I don't see how this can work and the referendum on AV or whatever form of it better be in the first year...

Clegg I fear has ruined all the lib dem gains he has made in the north.... and won't end up getting any electoral reform at all.... he can kiss goodbye to scotland and wales....."

I find the whole thing unsavoury!

I'd rather sacrifice my first born than vote Tory, I voted Lib Dem for the first and last time.

I would have preferred the awful Cameron to lead than that snake Clegg in.

You know this is going to go tits up for Clegg and I for one can't wait!

Torquay

Well at least it will be a Two Horse race next time around, doubt if there will be any kind of AV in the next election and Clegg will be untrusted by the electorate.

Blunkett was right today when he said Opposition is the best place to be at the moment.

Newcastle and Gateshead

funny enough cameron was saying before last thursday with the scare tactic "vote clegg and you get brown!"..... well that was right wasn't it

a conservative government with 1 scots and 3 welsh mps.... so much for all encompassing....

Electoral reform will never see the light of day.....

1st and last time I vote lib dem....

Bridgend

As far as AV goes, it'll probably be a case of it'll make it to referendum but sod all will be done about it as once referendum is over the tories can and probably will vote their own way. We also need to be mindful of whether it will be a definitive yea or nay re: AV. No good asking if they're going to do sod all with the results.

It now remains for Clegg to re-woo those voters who voted LibDem and prove that the Liberal Democrats can govern. If it works out well then we truly have three-party politics to stay, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

evesham

ok, i know i said i didnt care and i know i am a bit late to jump on the band wagon BUT....

Whats this AV you're all on about?

Could the Queen say no to Cameron/Clegg??

if so - what happens then?

Bridgend

"It now remains for Clegg to re-woo those voters who voted LibDem and prove that the Liberal Democrats can govern. If it works out well then we truly have three-party politics to stay, and that's a good thing in my opinion."

Clegg never succeeded in wooing Lib Dem voters, the party lost seats.

Bradford

"

We all know that there is always stuff in the Queens Speech that NEVER sees the light of day."

Especially when she's been on the Gin hee hee

"Clegg never succeeded in wooing Lib Dem voters, the party lost seats."

They got more votes than they've had before though didn't they? I know they didn't get the seats... but they got votes.

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

I only hope that proportional representation NEVER happens.......

Anyone else remember their history and which famous leader got to his exaulted position by proportional representation?

Bridgend

"Clegg never succeeded in wooing Lib Dem voters, the party lost seats.

They got more votes than they've had before though didn't they? I know they didn't get the seats... but they got votes."

But under the current electoral system they were fighting for seats and they did not succeed and actually lost seats.

dont make a lick of difference up here . alternative vote fannying about with the system so they can fix it all again later lot of shite im utterly bored and past the stage of caring which party/person gets to lie to me and bend me over anymore .

Bradford

"it better be a good deal... I don't see how this can work and the referendum on AV or whatever form of it better be in the first year...

Clegg I fear has ruined all the lib dem gains he has made in the north.... and won't end up getting any electoral reform at all.... he can kiss goodbye to scotland and wales.....

I find the whole thing unsavoury!

I'd rather sacrifice my first born than vote Tory, I voted Lib Dem for the first and last time.

I would have preferred the awful Cameron to lead than that snake Clegg in.

You know this is going to go tits up for Clegg and I for one can't wait! "

Good luck to your first born. i wish him/her well.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"All of a sudden......Opposition looks like a pretty good place to be."

aint that the truth, mervyn king hit the nail on the head.a few years of opposition but take out 2 parties in the process at the next election ..seems like a good deal for labour...like one labour bloke said come back home to labour all you pissed off lib voters...lol

I wonder if he's nervous pulling up outside the Palace.

Bradford

fucking charming, Clegg eventually gets some form of PR for the liberals and half of you lot who voted for Lib Dems fuck off.

mind you, it appears wishy has turned yellow all of a sudden

Bridgend

"

fucking charming, Clegg eventually gets some form of PR for the liberals and half of you lot who voted for Lib Dems fuck off.

"

He hasn't got anything yet, if I was Nick I wouldn't count my chickens just yet.

"

"

Nope, am Blue through and through, but I do admire Clegg for sticking to his principles.

Torquay

"

"

He hasn't got PR....he has the watered down version AV promised only as a referendum at some time in the next parliament....that's sometimes within Five years, we will have to wait and see what the details are....if we are ever given them that is!

Wonder who the media will brainwash people into voting next time around, suppose they’ll still be spouting vile about him for the next few weeks, it’s a real shame, have to admit I never really liked the man but the way he’s been jumped on by the media in the last week or two really does show how bad we’ve become as a nation, we take everything for granted and always miss the good and see the bad.

At least Cameron will have seen what’s coming when the media jump to another messiah.

I'm positive Gordy the Gaffe will make a mint on the lecture circuit followed by a warts n all book about three years as PM - I'd buy that book actually, I bet it would make a fascinating read.

Torquay

"

Nope, am Blue through and through, but I do admire Clegg for sticking to his principles."

Come on Wishy, you can't be Blue through and through if you were a Lib Dem pre 1997 and Labour in 1997.

You mean you were a Tory voter this time around, Blue through and through is a Conservative Party member.

But glad you got what you wanted this time around, it's been a very healthy discussion point and I thank you for remaining polite through it.

all over the place

"Wonder who the media will brainwash people into voting next time around, suppose they’ll still be spouting vile about him for the next few weeks, it’s a real shame, have to admit I never really liked the man but the way he’s been jumped on by the media in the last week or two really does show how bad we’ve become as a nation, we take everything for granted and always miss the good and see the bad.

At least Cameron will have seen what’s coming when the media jump to another messiah.

"

Totally agree Sky news has been so biased,the sun artical about brown still in number 10 ,murdoch was pissed off brown stopped his open door into number 10.

It fucks me off all sky could worry about was the city, the city wont like it etc .....Fuck the city ,we the people are this country not the corporations ...its the city got us into this mess ,greedy bastards

"ok, i know i said i didnt care and i know i am a bit late to jump on the band wagon BUT....

Whats this AV you're all on about?

Could the Queen say no to Cameron/Clegg??

if so - what happens then?"

The Queen does have the power to say no to Cameron but if she did she'd soon find herself deposed as Queen. She accepts whichever PM she's told to accept.

Alternative Voting is a system whereby you mark your ballot paper 1, 2, 3, 4, in order of preference for who you want to be elected. If that person receives more than 50% of the votes he/she is elected. If not, then the 2nd choice ballots are redistributed and added to the first choice ballots, and if that provides a 50%+ result, the candidate is elected.

Torquay

"Wonder who the media will brainwash people into voting next time around, suppose they’ll still be spouting vile about him for the next few weeks, it’s a real shame, have to admit I never really liked the man but the way he’s been jumped on by the media in the last week or two really does show how bad we’ve become as a nation, we take everything for granted and always miss the good and see the bad.

Totally agree Sky news has been so biased,the sun artical about brown still in number 10 ,murdoch was pissed off brown stopped his open door into number 10.

It fucks me off all sky could worry about was the city, the city wont like it etc .....Fuck the city ,we the people are this country not the corporations ...its the city got us into this mess ,greedy bastards"

SKY were more focused on the Tory promise of looking again at the proposal by Ofcom to reduce SKY Sports grip on the Premier League.

Murdoch always has a reason for EVERYTHING he does.....ask my hubby, he works for them and SKY made no secret of the fact with their managers.

"

Nope, am Blue through and through, but I do admire Clegg for sticking to his principles.

Come on Wishy, you can't be Blue through and through if you were a Lib Dem pre 1997 and Labour in 1997.

You mean you were a Tory voter this time around, Blue through and through is a Conservative Party member.

But glad you got what you wanted this time around, it's been a very healthy discussion point and I thank you for remaining polite through it."

The past is gone and the future isn't here yet. All you have is now, and right now, I'm Blue through and through.

Cameron leaves Buckingham Palace as Prime Minister - I like the sound of that.

By *ooty and suuCouple  over a year ago

barnsley

lets hope the conservatives dont fuckup the country this time like they did last time under thatcher and the rest of her crew

Bridgend

"

But glad you got what you wanted this time around, it's been a very healthy discussion point and I thank you for remaining polite through it.

The past is gone and the future isn't here yet. All you have is now, and right now, I'm Blue through and through."

Nah, the future's ORANGE

There ya go.

Line 1 of the Agreement between Cameron & Clegg:

Fixed term parliament beginning now. Cameron cannot call a snap election.

Bradford

"I'm positive Gordy the Gaffe will make a mint on the lecture circuit followed by a warts n all book about three years as PM - I'd buy that book actually, I bet it would make a fascinating read."

erm wouldn't the warts be about the first ten years, when he was chancellor?

Bradford

"

But glad you got what you wanted this time around, it's been a very healthy discussion point and I thank you for remaining polite through it."

My menber has a blue vein running its length, does that make me a Tory?

"lets hope the conservatives dont fuckup the country this time like they did last time under thatcher and the rest of her crew "

They will my darl, they will. Shaking my head, wishing I could join my mother in Europe but kids still in education here! BTW, Blue with a Touch of Yellow equals green and they know fook all about running a country either!

"But glad you got what you wanted this time around, it's been a very healthy discussion point and I thank you for remaining polite through it."

It has been a very good debate and I've thoroughly enjoyed it, with all the posters from across the political divide. It didn't last for 6 threads because it was rubbish, and that says a lot.

all over the place

"There ya go.

Line 1 of the Agreement between Cameron & Clegg:

Fixed term parliament beginning now. Cameron cannot call a snap election."

first time i ever heard a new pm booed and chanting tories out tories out ...lol

i dont think the problem will be with cleg and cameron or the boys with the jobs ...but the grassroot supporters of both parties are not ideologically singing from the same page ....lol ...

time will tell eh..... personally i think labour have been very clever going into opposition now ......

Im just fed up of all the news

Bridgend

The devil's in the detail and it hasn't got through PLDP and their exec yet.

ach well on the brightside gives me way loads more to moan about once cam the sham gets in and settled!! xx

"ach well on the brightside gives me way loads more to moan about once cam the sham gets in and settled!! xx "

Only you could say that with a smile lol

What a day. A new Prime Minister and a new shed. Don't get much better than that.

"My menber has a blue vein running its length, does that make me a Tory?

"

Stick a pin in it and it'll show you its true colour

"ach well on the brightside gives me way loads more to moan about once cam the sham gets in and settled!! xx

Only you could say that with a smile lol "

i know!!! im safe really i dnt work in the public sector and my uni fundin is protected with the scottish government. i dont claim benefits or that, only thing they can bugger up for me is the tax credits which would be painful as they help greatly xx

By *entadreadMan  over a year ago

Essex

Clegg I fear has ruined all the lib dem gains he has made in the north.... and won't end up getting any electoral reform at all.... he can kiss goodbye to scotland and wales....."

he can kiss goodbye to my vote

Who you gonna jump to next when Cam fucks up wishy, now that you're confessing to be blue through and through

Newcastle and Gateshead

"ach well on the brightside gives me way loads more to moan about once cam the sham gets in and settled!! xx "

oh well... see you all in 4 yrs then!!!! lol fixed term now......

some of the emergency budget stuff is coming out as well..... looks like the £6bn of cuts to services is coming, but not the cutting of the NI rise, also it looks like the marriage tax break is going... no 150 pound for you lot... and the inheritance tax increase pledge is gone.....

on the lib dem side it looks like they keep the income tax threshold increase to £10,000 so we can all thank vince cable for that.....

Bridgend

"What a day. A new Prime Minister and a new shed. Don't get much better than that. "

So what car did you get Wishy?

Bridgend

"ach well on the brightside gives me way loads more to moan about once cam the sham gets in and settled!! xx

some of the emergency budget stuff is coming out as well..... looks like the £6bn of cuts to services is coming, but not the cutting of the NI rise, also it looks like the marriage tax break is going... no 150 pound for you lot... and the inheritance tax increase pledge is gone.....

on the lib dem side it looks like they keep the income tax threshold increase to £10,000 so we can all thank vince cable for that....."

Surely the fixed term has to get through both Houses first and that can take ages.

on the lib dem side it looks like they keep the income tax threshold increase to £10,000 so we can all thank vince cable for that....."

aww and i was gonna propose to you so we could get that massive tax break!!! x

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Surely the fixed term has to get through both Houses first and that can take ages."

I "assume" that is going to go thru in the same legistlation as the referendum on AV so that will pass as a general electoral and voting reform package.... and it will be in the 1st years schedule just in case it does go belly up.......

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

aww and i was gonna propose to you so we could get that massive tax break!!! x"

damn.. we could have split the 150 quid!!! lol on the plus side because of the income tax threshold going up should be 700 quid a year better off.....

so how about we just do the "sin" bit....

"

aww and i was gonna propose to you so we could get that massive tax break!!! x

damn.. we could have split the 150 quid!!! lol on the plus side because of the income tax threshold going up should be 700 quid a year better off.....

so how about we just do the "sin" bit...."

ok but not goin halfers on a monday book lol!!! xx

Bradford

"My menber has a blue vein running its length, does that make me a Tory?

Stick a pin in it and it'll show you its true colour "

Ouch!!!

But at least it will put a different slant on the West Lothian question :

Which car park is best for dogging, LOL

"Who you gonna jump to next when Cam fucks up wishy, now that you're confessing to be blue through and through "

Whoever puts more money in my pocket for my family. I don't vote the same way every time and if Cameron now wants my vote at the next election he has to earn it over the next five years. I've made no secret that I am a floating voter and I do what I feel is the right thing to do at the time. 13 years ago John Major's government was stale, corrupt and full of sleaze and it was time for them to go, so I voted for Blair. This time I felt the same way about Brown & Labour so I voted for Cameron. That's what elections are for - to get rid of someone doing a bad job and let someone else have a go.

on the lib dem side it looks like they keep the income tax threshold increase to £10,000 so we can all thank vince cable for that.....

Surely the fixed term has to get through both Houses first and that can take ages."

If it's supported by all parties then it's pretty much rubber stamped through the Lords, who are, of course, affiliated to political parties themselves.

Bridgend

Surely the fixed term has to get through both Houses first and that can take ages.

If it's supported by all parties then it's pretty much rubber stamped through the Lords, who are, of course, affiliated to political parties themselves."

Can still take ages though, even with all the will in the world. I'm also aware the Lords have political affiliation, I've been in frontline politics for 12 years and Chair of a large branch of the TGWU prior to that.

So Cam & Sam enter No.10 for the first time. They say their hello's to the staff, have a look around - and then what? They must need some private time and I'd bet my life that when they were alone in their room upstairs, Sam turned to Cam and said something along the lines of, "I've never given a Prime Minister a blowjob before, drop em buster!"

Well, you would wouldn't you, it's too good an opportunity to miss!

By *icekatCouple  over a year ago

north east

"I AM GUTTED!"

mmm so am i

"So Cam & Sam enter No.10 for the first time. They say their hello's to the staff, have a look around - and then what? They must need some private time and I'd bet my life that when they were alone in their room upstairs, Sam turned to Cam and said something along the lines of, "I've never given a Prime Minister a blowjob before, drop em buster!"

Well, you would wouldn't you, it's too good an opportunity to miss! "

dont be silly her first words would be..... that bloody wallpapers goin!! x

By *istress SassyCouple  over a year ago

manchester

Well as a Labour party member and trade union official I am both dreading and looking forward to the next period in British politics.

Union's are always attacked under a Tory government, so I guess we'll be gearing for all sorts of fights t protect our members jobs and interests.

That said, it's also fun to be in opposition. I'll have to take down my marching shoes and practice my chants of 'tory, tory, tory, out, out out!'. It will be just like the days of my youth!

I also can't imagine that this coalition will last very long. Firstly, they never do and secondly, Lib Dem MP's are notoriously difficult to reign in so the first sign of a difficult issue they will be all over the place, with the possibility of the 'government' losing a vote. That happens, then there almost certainly will need to be another election. Even if it takes a while, the tories will make so many cuts people wont want to vote for them again and the lib dems have already pissed off many of those who voted for them - who did so because they didn't want Cameron.

Oh and they have already been shafted! -

He has only been PM for five minutes and already he's evicted a Scottish family and put them on the dole

"He has only been PM for five minutes and already he's evicted a Scottish family and put them on the dole"

lol!! love it!! and no doubt be many more like that.

gonna be interestin to see where the cuts coming from but in good ole tory spirit it be the most vunerable and excluded in society xx

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

They had a lot of boo's and shouting of tories out and they hadn't even got over the step !

"They had a lot of boo's and shouting of tories out and they hadn't even got over the step !"

That was probably Brown's lot who were there to say goodbye and decided to give Cam a rough time. Should have had em all rounded up and shooed away.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"They had a lot of boo's and shouting of tories out and they hadn't even got over the step !

That was probably Brown's lot who were there to say goodbye and decided to give Cam a rough time. Should have had em all rounded up and shooed away. "

No chance, I reckon they should have bussed a few more in !!!

Funny though that there we no tories supporters to wish Cam in

Did anyone see the ITV news just finished where one woman was reporting and two men were fighting over a billboard about bring soldiers home behind her? lol

give it a few months and law be passed that he can have them shot likely!!

well im off to join my local trade union no doubt will probably need them soon xx

I was a member of the EEPTU years ago and they sold us down the river, two years we never got a pay rise (but they managed to save our safety shoes for us - a whole £25.00 worth of crap shoes). The place I worked was a closed shop or I wouldn't have bothered with it. It's from there that I have a deep mistrust of union reps, as in our workplace they caved in because they knew that a troublesome union rep was the first name on the next list of redundancies. Unions? You can keep them, thanks.

just checked, still a member of the national union of students!

i think trade unions possibly become more needed over the next four yrs....

united we stand divided we fall xx

Absolutely pig sick.

Watching Cameron outside No 10 rounded off a bad day.

Britain was once Great, a new nightmare has started. I just absolutely detest the Tories. I can't shake off Maggie and how she treated Scotland, an evil bitch. David Cameron will have to do a hell of a job to put his party in my favour.

A sad day and good luck to the departing PM, Gordon Brown.

Torquay

It's only because of continued work by the TUC that this country now enjoys a National Minimum Wage for everyone, Paid Holidays?......TUC driven, Drivers Hour Restrictions......TUC driven, Maternity Pay?.....TUC driven.

You may not agree with Trade Unions, but for many of you on here that despise unions you take all these workers rights for granted....they were earnt for British workers by Unions over the years.

I'm not saying I don't agree with them but that I had bad experiences of them and that shaped my view of them.

When I worked for the Royal Mail years later they wanted to hive off our department (Cash Handling & Distribution (CHD)) to Securicor. The union fought the sell off on the grounds that they were forcing people to work for a company they didn't want to work for, (most of our guys had worked for Securicor previously and didn't want to work for them again).

Securicor pulled out of the purchase when they realised that without the people it wasn't a business they wanted ot have. That's my only good experience of a Trade Union, and it was quite an interesting experience outside the gates with a burning oil drum (it's wierd that they always have these things to hand when a strike is about to start lol)

Torquay

Unions do have to pick what battles are worth fighting for and what battles are not winnable, as in most things in industry/business there is a lot of give and take.

The Unite union for example (when it was the TGWU) preserved the main rights of Londons Bus Drivers when privatisation was thrust upon them, but had to sell away some of the rights of new staff intake not employed at the time of negotiation.

But it is fair to say that even for the self employed of this country, Trade Union work in the past has made every workers lot better.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Better than nowt I suppose xx

Damn, we have a green party and they only got one MP elected "

and it only took 2,000,000 votes nationally to get her elected, bring on PR

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"I was a member of the EEPTU years ago and they sold us down the river, two years we never got a pay rise (but they managed to save our safety shoes for us - a whole £25.00 worth of crap shoes). The place I worked was a closed shop or I wouldn't have bothered with it. It's from there that I have a deep mistrust of union reps, as in our workplace they caved in because they knew that a troublesome union rep was the first name on the next list of redundancies. Unions? You can keep them, thanks."

one question wishy, how many of your local union meetings did you go to?

"I was a member of the EEPTU years ago and they sold us down the river, two years we never got a pay rise (but they managed to save our safety shoes for us - a whole £25.00 worth of crap shoes). The place I worked was a closed shop or I wouldn't have bothered with it. It's from there that I have a deep mistrust of union reps, as in our workplace they caved in because they knew that a troublesome union rep was the first name on the next list of redundancies. Unions? You can keep them, thanks.

one question wishy, how many of your local union meetings did you go to?"

As I said, it was a closed shop and union meetings were always held on the shop floor during work hours so I had to attend. You could always tell from the way the guy opened that he was about to try and sell us a bum deal. Maybe he was just a bad rep but I was 18/19 at the time and impressionanble - well, it didn't impress, and that's why I don't have much truck with them now. I do recognise thry're value to a degree though, I'm not anti-union, just anti-militant union bosses who use their members and their union dues to further their own political agendas.

YIPPEEEEEeeeeeeee.........watched it all unfold last night....am off now to e mail all my family (reds through & through) to gloat

im eagerly awaitin to see what they have and havent agreed on!!

vince cable seems okish.......

5 years this is goin to be a very interesting half a decade.

but if it all goes tits up i can see the libdems beign cast into the wilderness for the next 90 years!

the deficit is shocking and there no doubt about it somethin has got to give but will it be the usual suspects that feel the pinch more or are we really entering a new political time.....xx

By *uss PussWoman  over a year ago

east cheshire

David just showed Nick his room at No. 10...its the box room

"David just showed Nick his room at No. 10...its the box room"

i thought it would be the cupboard under the stairs.....xx

At least its a little more stable than a Labour Lib dem and anyone else that would join em including the downing street cleaners and staff alliance lol xx

"David just showed Nick his room at No. 10...its the box room"

lol...i thought he was gonna get the coal bunker...so he's done alright for himself there then

Torquay

I understand (from the radio) that the promised rise in the Inheritance Tax threshold has been dropped....That will piss off great swathes of Tory voters.

"I understand (from the radio) that the promised rise in the Inheritance Tax threshold has been dropped....That will piss off great swathes of Tory voters."

Only till next time they get in properly lol xx

"I understand (from the radio) that the promised rise in the Inheritance Tax threshold has been dropped....That will piss off great swathes of Tory voters.

Only till next time they get in properly lol xx "

ahahhahahahahahahahahhhaa!!!! now i know you havin a laugh!! after the fiasco thats comin you be lucky if they even exist!!! times arent looking good!! x

Torquay

In Five years time the Tories will have to restructure their party as 'New Conservative', and the Lib Dems will spend another 80 years in the wilderness.

2pm we get to see what they have agreed on!! or not. x

I really do feel like a corner has been turned and to see those two standing there together - different parties, but singing from the same songsheet - it makes feel positive about the future. This is so new in British politics and young men & women who voted for the first time will know nothing of the way things used to be. It is indeed, a completely new generation of politics, and I'm prepared to let it have it's teething problems, it's terrible twos and a bucket load of angst in it's teenage years - but one thing is for sure, it's here to stay, and it's our baby.

"I really do feel like a corner has been turned and to see those two standing there together - different parties, but singing from the same songsheet - it makes feel positive about the future. This is so new in British politics and young men & women who voted for the first time will know nothing of the way things used to be. It is indeed, a completely new generation of politics, and I'm prepared to let it have it's teething problems, it's terrible twos and a bucket load of angst in it's teenage years - but one thing is for sure, it's here to stay, and it's our baby."

can we put it up for adoption???

and no doubt who will be gettin the shitty end ......

on a serious note though, it will make the history books and only time will tell xx

"I really do feel like a corner has been turned and to see those two standing there together - different parties, but singing from the same songsheet - it makes feel positive about the future. This is so new in British politics and young men & women who voted for the first time will know nothing of the way things used to be. It is indeed, a completely new generation of politics, and I'm prepared to let it have it's teething problems, it's terrible twos and a bucket load of angst in it's teenage years - but one thing is for sure, it's here to stay, and it's our baby.

can we put it up for adoption???

and no doubt who will be gettin the shitty end ......

on a serious note though, it will make the history books and only time will tell xx

"

Very true hon, and the benchmark will be that if people like your good self are won over as time passes then we'll know it's a good thing they've done here. We all know there are cuts on the way, and Labour would have made cuts too, so I won't blame them too much for something that had to happen anyway, but after the economy is truly on the road to recovery and some of their more ambitious projects can be implemented then we'll see how well they deal with those issues then.

p.s. They just had a good old laugh in the garden there and I cannot recall that ever happening in British politics.

dont hold your breath on me turnin over im socialist through and through!

its an alternative to the old way and it can only be tried.

there no doubt the cuts are going to be deep but its who they will affect that concerns me and how they will be implemented and thats before we get on to the other stuff!!

a good laugh in the garden??? aye i had a good laugh earlier too with someone i couldnt stand but i got more than one face too!!!

see what happens once the real work starts to get done xx

Seeing the photo of those two self-satisfied tossers shaking hands reminded me of Hitler and Stalin in 1939.

Torquay

Seeing them shaking hands in that garden reminded me of two school boys in the playground shaking hands because the teacher told them to shake and make up....

"make up, make never do it again......"

"Seeing the photo of those two self-satisfied tossers shaking hands reminded me of Hitler and Stalin in 1939."

a bit harsh

neither of them went to public school

Bridgend

"Better than nowt I suppose xx

Damn, we have a green party and they only got one MP elected

and it only took 2,000,000 votes nationally to get her elected, bring on PR"

lol I was being sarcastic, if you mix blue and yellow you get green

"Seeing the photo of those two self-satisfied tossers shaking hands reminded me of Hitler and Stalin in 1939."

Well when they have the country back on it's feet and we're all prospering, please do feel free to hand over your share of the loot. I bet you won't though.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"

Well, he ain't walking yet but we hope he will be a quick learner and up and running by, say, tomorrow morning?? "

You might as well have had another baby.... the cuts will probably cost you as much.

Ahh a return to the good old days...

When the rich got richer and the noble art of the placard writer was in full force...I predict a riot...

Bridgend

"Ahh a return to the good old days...

When the rich got richer and the noble art of the placard writer was in full force...I predict a riot... "

Perhaps bogof and I could retrain as sign writers

When the rich got richer and the noble art of the placard writer was in full force...I predict a riot...

Perhaps bogof and I could retrain as sign writers "

Your skills will be needed...

Perhaps bogof and I could retrain as sign writers "

count me in i got free time!! x

Bloody Hell!!!

Thats where my green n red tablets went then!! no wonder i couldnt find um anywhere last nite.

I think hes on drugs!!

Bloody hell just realized those faces remind me of CONNECT 4 !! pmsl!!

Bridgend

"Bloody hell just realized those faces remind me of CONNECT 4 !! pmsl!! "

Nah connect four was red and yellow

Well there's some good news to begin with... The Coalition have agreed that those who suffered losses in the Equitable Life debacle will receive payments from the govt.

The Coalition stated: "We agree to implement the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman's recommendation to make fair and transparent payments to Equitable Life policy holders, through an independent payment scheme, for their relative loss as a consequence of regulatory failure."

For those that don't know what happened, Equitable Life enforced huge cuts on pension holder policies in order to keep the company solvent, it was subsequently closed to new business from 2000 onwards. It had made some very bad investment decisions, as had most of the banks that were subsequently bailed out by the taxpayer, yet EL policy holders were not recompensed for the same bad regulation that had allowed the banks to squander billions.

Labour had proposed a 'limited payment scheme' but that was ill received by those who have been left with virtually no pension after a lifetime of paying into EL.

As someone very close to an affected policy holder I welcome this news.

~

The Coalition are also phasing out the compulsory retirement age and the forcing of retired persons to buy into an annuity once they reach 75. ~ I've always disgreed with forcing people to stop work who do not wish to, plus by removing the cap on having to buy an annuity it means that those who haven't yet made adequate pension arrangements will have longer to do so.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Is it going to kick the work shy fekkers into contributing by getting jobs though?

"Is it going to kick the work shy fekkers into contributing by getting jobs though?"

Huh? My relative in in his 70's, he doesn't want to work anymore. He just wants what he worked for all his life.

"Is it going to kick the work shy fekkers into contributing by getting jobs though?

Huh? My relative in in his 70's, he doesn't want to work anymore. He just wants what he worked for all his life. "

Its work till you drop Now!

Naaaaa i am on about the 20 to 65 age range. The ones who can work, have no children to look after but act like a cat to water if productive employment is mentioned!

There is this bit in the Pension & Welfare chapter of the Coalition Agreement:

"We agree that receipt of benefits for those able to work should be conditional on the willingness to work."

Too feckin right!!

The Agreement in full can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8677933.stm

~

On Education:

"ensure a properly funded university sector"

That's part of the LibDem pledge to make University education for 1st Degree students completely free. Our kids won't leave Uni £000's in debt. That's good too.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

We await Lord Browne's final report into higher education funding, and will judge its proposals against the need to

It does say this before that line wishy.

"We await Lord Browne's final report into higher education funding, and will judge its proposals against the need to

It does say this before that line wishy."

True, it does, so that will be a test of Con -v- Lib policy and it will be interesting to see which policy is implemented.

The coalition will end in tears and acrimony. The country did not vote for this. Two white middle class men from similar privalaged backgrounds, it makes me feel sick

[Removed by poster at 13/05/10 00:08:46]

"The coalition will end in tears and acrimony. The country did not vote for this. Two white middle class men from similar privalaged backgrounds, it makes me feel sick"

Oooo bit harsh! I think you might be right but Clegg might actually make things work. Who knows!

"The coalition will end in tears and acrimony. The country did not vote for this. Two white middle class men from similar privalaged backgrounds, it makes me feel sick"

The country DID vote for it. It voted in a hung parliament so what's the alternative to what these guys are trying to do?

I'd rather have this for as long as it lasts than a single day of them voting against each other on every single issue. Why won't some people at least give it a chance? Why all the negativity?

Both have sold out ,,,, its a feckin joke what some will do to get power ,,, the electorate will , i hope consign these two jokers to the place of scoundrals and blaggards ( the lords ) seriously though

,, if i voted for either red or orange and got what has been divvied up then I would be fuckin livid ,,, it is indeed a good time to be a red

[Removed by poster at 13/05/10 00:19:12]

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"The coalition will end in tears and acrimony. The country did not vote for this. Two white middle class men from similar privalaged backgrounds, it makes me feel sick

The country DID vote for it. It voted in a hung parliament so what's the alternative to what these guys are trying to do?

I'd rather have this for as long as it lasts than a single day of them voting against each other on every single issue. Why won't some people at least give it a chance? Why all the negativity?"

The people who voted lib dem didn't vote for tories, the people who voted tories didn't vote for lib dems......so no, they didn't vote these two parties in. They thought they were voting for one party.

"Both have sold out ,,,, its a feckin joke what some will do to get power ,,, the electorate will , i hope consign these two jokers to the place of scoundrals and blaggards ( the lords ) seriously though

,, if i voted for either red or orange and got what has been divvied up then I would be fuckin livid ,,, it is indeed a good time to be a red

"

Sweetie, thank you for being the guy saw this (many others may have, I had things to do and couldn't read all!). But a freaking tout, tarting his support here and there, Gordon had the balls to bow out, the rest of the party said "If this is what you've got to offer, fook right ..." So Mr Clegg turned right, and right into the hands to those more devious ...

Still, in a year or so we'll all know what soulless twats they are and have to vote again... Any sense, Labour next time!

[Removed by poster at 13/05/10 06:18:29]

"Both have sold out ,,,, its a feckin joke what some will do to get power ,,, the electorate will , i hope consign these two jokers to the place of scoundrals and blaggards ( the lords ) seriously though

"

It seems that Labour supporters have chosen to totally ignore what has taken place and focus on how hard done by Labour has been.

FACT:

The Libdems have stated why there was no deal with Labour. They felt that the Labour party were not taking them seriously and offered no real compromises for the Libdems to consider. It has also been stated that of the Labour negotiators that they met, there was a feeling of gloom and resignation about them and that they were already preparing for defeat. There wasn’t a deal to be made with Labour which is why they went back to the Conservatives. Gordon Brown didn’t even sit in on the negotiations, preferring to contact Clegg by telephone instead!

This isn't my interpretation of what happened, this is fact.

FACT:

A hung parliament was on the cards from the moment the election was called and the pre-election survey polls started appearing. All three parties were neck and neck going into the final week, with Labour behind slightly, and the number crunchers in the media, who have a mountain of past data to draw on, predicted a hung parliament, and that's what we got. It isn't rocket science and anyone with half a brain can see that in a hung parliament deals have to be done or nothing gets done at all. They either argue the toss endlessly over the dispatch box and deliver nothing for the electorate, or they form some sort of alliance, either formally or informally.

Ok, nobody can deny that faced with Labour remaining in power, or grabbing power for themselves it was a no brainer for Clegg to deal with Cameron, but watching those two yesterday I got a sense that they really want to make this work for the better of the country, putting aside party differences - time will tell if it does work or not. Blair was exactly the same when he won in ‘97. He spoke about his vision of what Britain could be and I believed him, he was that convincing about it. Sadly, the reality after 13 years was quite different. Labour didn't actually get much wrong in terms of serving the people but they didn't get a lot right either – increased CCTV surveillance, wasting billions on the ID Card scheme, and further billions on a NHS supercomputer system that has never been switched on. But they did have their successes too - the minimum wage will be a testament to the Blair/Brown government, and it is a worthy piece of governance to be remembered for. Their problem these past couple of years is that they became stale, tired and unfocussed – jaded would be an accurate description. Brown became a liability to the Labour Party and he is the type of man who is great when things are sailing along nicely but when his back is up against the wall he fluffs it.

~

What does the future hold?

~

The LibDems could well find themselves annihilated at the next election by angry Liberals who aren’t comfortable with this deal, and by Labour supporters who voted LD this time out, but if you look at the final figures for % of the vote, they LibDems only gained 1% from 2005, so their support base is low, but loyal.

The overwhelming message from Liberal Democrat party members up and down the country is that this deal is a good deal - not because they're happy to be in power after 90 years in the wilderness, but because Liberal Democrat policies will pass into UK law and we will live our lives by them - that is why they welcome this deal and why Clegg will do his utmost to make it work.

Will Cameron shaft him?

He might. Of the two I'd put more trust in Clegg than Cameron.

Clegg has so much more to lose if this doesn't work. His political life would be over and he'll fade into obscurity on the back of a vengeful electorate if this Coalition fails.

(But I would suggest they stop all the chummy-chum stuff, it's embarrassing)

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Thats very patronising. It isn't just labour supporters who can voice their views and say that they didn't vote for two parties but one party as that was the party that they wanted in power.

You say the party members were satisfied that the merger was ok, what about the people who voted ? From what I have saw since, there is a hell of a lot of people, tories plus Libs that are not happy with what has happened.

A question for you, would you have been so enthusiastic if the talks between the Tories and Libs had broken down and it had ended up a Lib/Lab goverment?

lib dems in scotland are in hiding they know they have sold their soul to the devil and the aftermath will be felt in the party for a long time!

what is said and what is done is 2 different things in politics, and thats when we find out exactly what has been done at the cost to who.

iv no looked at the coalition agreement yet to see what is what but will be scrutinising it later!

i predicted ages ago it was going to be a hung parliament but noooo it was goin to be a tory landside (i really should have placed a bet!!)

i can honestly see the lib dems being the scapegoat and pressure from the tory party making things end up like a chimps tea party! the tories are a powerful force, and i hope nick clegg can stand up and say no when he needs to xx

My apologies if came across as patronising, that wasn't my intention, I'm just trying to make sense of the past week or so and understand exactly what it is we have now. Is it a good thing or a bad one.

"

A question for you, would you have been so enthusiastic if the talks between the Tories and Libs had broken down and it had ended up a Lib/Lab goverment?"

In all honestly, probably not, but it would have been different from the government we had, and with Liberal policies mixing in with Labour ones it may have been worth seeing. I guess that's academic now as it didn't happen, but I think I would have given it at least half a chance. You know I am a floating voter and if any of the parties make my life better then they get my support.

I'll be the first to moan about Cameron/Clegg if they screw it up and I'll happily join the millies waving placards outside Whitehall if they really make a balls up of it.

all over the place

"

You say the party members were satisfied that the merger was ok, what about the people who voted ? From what I have saw since, there is a hell of a lot of people, tories plus Libs that are not happy with what has happened.

A question for you, would you have been so enthusiastic if the talks between the Tories and Libs had broken down and it had ended up a Lib/Lab goverment?"

Well said totally agree rugby ,Wishy you can not sum up 13 years of a labour govt with a off the cuff assessment and its natural to point out failings after 3 terms same happened with the tories last stint

just some of labours achievements are below and it looks pretty good to me

1.Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s

2. Low mortgage rates

3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.35

4. Record police numbers in England, Scotland and Wales

5. Cut overall crime by 35 per cent

6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools

7. Best-ever primary school results

8. Funding for every pupil in England doubled by 2008

9. Employment is at its highest level ever

10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries

11. 85,000 more nurses

12. 32,000 more doctors

13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards

14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament

15. Devolved power to Welsh Assembly

16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time

17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice

18. Gift aid was worth £625 million to charities last year

19. Restored city-wide government to London

20. Record number of students in higher education

21. Child benefit up 25 per cent since 1997

22. Created Sure Start to help children from low income households

23. Introduced the Disability Rights Commission

24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & extra £100 for over-80s

25. On course to exceed the Kyoto target to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2010

26. Negotiated the historic Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland

27. Over 30,000 more teachers in England schools

28. All workers now have a right to 4 weeks’ paid holiday

29. A million pensioners lifted out of relative poverty

30. 800,000 children lifted out of relative poverty

31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents

32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships

33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard

34. Free school milk for five, six and seven-year-olds in Wales

35. Banned fox hunting

36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since the industrial revolution

37. Free TV licences for over-75s

38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals

39. Waiting times for operations halved

40. Free local bus travel for over-60s

41. New Deal - helped over a million people into work

42. Over 1.5 million child trust funds have been started

43. Free eye test for over 60s

44. Five, six and seven year olds in class sizes of 30 or less

45. Free entry to national museums and galleries

46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled

47. Cancer death rates down by 12 per cent, saving 43,000 lives

48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent

49. Free nursery places for three and four-year-olds in England, Scotland and Wales

50. Free fruit for all four to six-year-olds at school

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 13/05/10 09:43:35]

"i can honestly see the lib dems being the scapegoat and pressure from the tory party making things end up like a chimps tea party! the tories are a powerful force, and i hope nick clegg can stand up and say no when he needs to xx"

By all accounts, Clegg is more than prepared to roll his sleeves up for a scrap if needed. It was his team digging their heels in that made the deal with the Conservatives that much harder to nail down, and as you saw, they had to come back quickly with a compromise on AV when they saw the Libs open talks with Labour. Whether that was a deliberate ploy by Clegg to give the Tories a jolt I don't know, but it worked and it showed Clegg mettle. Not a guy to be messed with is what I sense about him.

Torquay

Labour paid only lip service to the prospect of a coalition with the Lib Dems, there was no real hunger within the party to form such a coalition and Opposition is a far better prospect.

Unlike the new Coalition Government any Labour/Lib Dem Coalition would have been a much wider arrangement that would have resulted in unworkable concessions being given out to several other parties, including Nationalistic parties like Plaid and the SNP.

The Conservatives have had to reluctantly...even extremely reluctantly if the truth be told, give in to major concessions to the Lib Dems in order to stitch together this patchy marriage.

Don't be fooled by the theatrical smiles and jokes between Cameron and Clegg, the Tories are seething and Cameron has a lot to answer to with the Tory Old School.

So no real effort by Labour to form a coalition, and thank god as Opposition has never looked so attractive as it does today.

Ed Miliband, David Miliband, Alan Johnson, Ed Balls, Harriet Harman.....all waiting like vultures to pick over the bones of this new coalition when the cuts strike home with the British public.

Vat rise anyone?

Happy Days ahead I think.....

"Labour paid only lip service to the prospect of a coalition with the Lib Dems, there was no real hunger within the party to form such a coalition and Opposition is a far better prospect.

Unlike the new Coalition Government any Labour/Lib Dem Coalition would have been a much wider arrangement that would have resulted in unworkable concessions being given out to several other parties, including Nationalistic parties like Plaid and the SNP.

The Conservatives have had to reluctantly...even extremely reluctantly if the truth be told, give in to major concessions to the Lib Dems in order to stitch together this patchy marriage.

Don't be fooled by the theatrical smiles and jokes between Cameron and Clegg, the Tories are seething and Cameron has a lot to answer to with the Tory Old School.

So no real effort by Labour to form a coalition, and thank god as Opposition has never looked so attractive as it does today.

Ed Miliband, David Miliband, Alan Johnson, Ed Balls, Harriet Harman.....all waiting like vultures to pick over the bones of this new coalition when the cuts strike home with the British public.

Vat rise anyone?

"

yeah the vat rise was discussed yesterday on bbc as its the quickest way of gettin money in!

food the basic essential, and i know a lot of pensioners who struggle with food costs as it is, and also families. iv skipped meals to make sure my kid gets fed and im not on benefits then there are other vunerable people who are on benefits how are they goin to cope with an increase on food because benefits wont be going up and we are already in child poverty for a lot of people and pensioners.

bloody disgraceful if you ask me to whack vat up which has always been a tax on the poorxx

all over the place

"Labour paid only lip service to the prospect of a coalition with the Lib Dems, there was no real hunger within the party to form such a coalition and Opposition is a far better prospect.

Vat rise anyone?

"

its already started,remember the democtatic part of the lib dem name comes from all the social democrates who joined when the parties merged.Effectively ex labour supporters centre left, disaffected by Foot.

Its been pointed out already that cameron said he believed the cabinet should have a minimum of 30% women

total appointed ....1

part of her remit "she is now responsible for womens rights"

.....nice one Dave

Torquay

At the moment the experts are suggesting the secretly proposed 5% Vat on retail foodstuffs by the Tories (as leaked by the Economist Magazine last Autumn) has been put on the backburner.

The Lib Dem marriage would have stopped them going for that, but there will be a Vat rise, probably up to 20% or 22.5% on 'luxury goods' by the end of the summer recess.

So any small business that opened during the Vat drop to 15% will have seen their costs rise by 5%-7.5% in the space of 6 months.

So much for the Tories being the party of small business.....

"

Well said totally agree rugby ,Wishy you can not sum up 13 years of a labour govt with a off the cuff assessment and its natural to point out failings after 3 terms same happened with the tories last stint

"

Of course a party in power for 13 years are going to make some very good decisions/laws/policies. I'm not disputing that. If they hadn't made any good decisions they would have been turfed out after the first 5 years.

It is the cycle of things to change. 13 years of Labour preceded by 17 years of Conservative, preceded by 5 years of Labour, then 4 years of Conservative, then 6 years of Labour, then 9 years of Conservative.. and that takes us back to 1955 with Sir Anthony Eden.

So you can see how often it changes and I've no doubt in my mind at all that Labour will be back in government one day.

5 years from now? Maybe.

10? Hopefully.

All governments become complacent if they are in power for too long. The government of Thatcher/Major ended up riddled with sleaze and corruption and Blair/Brown's government simply ran out of good ideas and couldn't adjust to the new dynamicism of Cameron and his Conservatives in the minds of some of the electorate. Clegg's emergence as a political force compounded Labour's drab image of Brown. They simply couldn't compete with the Dynamic Duo!

So now it's Cameron's turn. I glad about it if only for the reason that we needed a fresh direction. Like he said when he was campaigning - if they screw it up, kick them out, and I'm sure many are waiting for just that opportunity.

"At the moment the experts are suggesting the secretly proposed 5% Vat on retail foodstuffs by the Tories (as leaked by the Economist Magazine last Autumn) has been put on the backburner.

The Lib Dem marriage would have stopped them going for that, but there will be a Vat rise, probably up to 20% or 22.5% on 'luxury goods' by the end of the summer recess.

So any small business that opened during the Vat drop to 15% will have seen their costs rise by 5%-7.5% in the space of 6 months.

"

It doesn't sound good but the money to repay debts has to come from somewhere. Its where the cuts come that more concerns me as we can all spend a little less to compensate for vat rises.

The cuts will need to be savage. Losing this election is the best thing that could have happened to the Labour party...they can sit back, watch Cleggy and Dave start sorting out the monumental mess with our economy...

they wait while the general populace scream and bay for blood because we're not happy at having to tighten our belts/accept that the money borrowed by the government must be repaid....

then milliband, balls or whoever can point the finger, tut a lot and say 'you should have stuck with us, we'd have repaid all the money we borrowed without slashing public borrowing/raising taxes etc etc etc'......they're assured a land slide in the not too distant future

If labour had won and formed government, had the balls to reign in public spending etc as this coalition will do then tories and libs would sit back....wait....and then say same thing

Whoever had one this election was destined to be pilloried and hated for at least a generation

"At the moment the experts are suggesting the secretly proposed 5% Vat on retail foodstuffs by the Tories (as leaked by the Economist Magazine last Autumn) has been put on the backburner.

It doesn't sound good but the money to repay debts has to come from somewhere. Its where the cuts come that more concerns me as we can all spend a little less to compensate for vat rises. "

if i spend any less il be in the runnin for ebeezneer scrooges hat!!

vat is unfair taxation at the best of times remember even essentials such as ladies sanitary products are under vat i think? condoms? clothing? food? gas,electric, ? i need to check what all does come under vat xx

all over the place

"The cuts will need to be savage. Losing this election is the best thing that could have happened to the Labour party...they can sit back, watch Cleggy and Dave start sorting out the monumental mess with our economy...

they wait while the general populace scream and bay for blood because we're not happy at having to tighten our belts/accept that the money borrowed by the government must be repaid....

then milliband, balls or whoever can point the finger, tut a lot and say 'you should have stuck with us, we'd have repaid all the money we borrowed without slashing public borrowing/raising taxes etc etc etc'......they're assured a land slide in the not too distant future

If labour had won and formed government, had the balls to reign in public spending etc as this coalition will do then tories and libs would sit back....wait....and then say same thing

Whoever had one this election was destined to be pilloried and hated for at least a generation"

yep i got a lot of time for merv from the big bank ...he hit the nail on the head

"The cuts will need to be savage. Losing this election is the best thing that could have happened to the Labour party...they can sit back, watch Cleggy and Dave start sorting out the monumental mess with our economy...

Whoever had one this election was destined to be pilloried and hated for at least a generation"

its always the big vicious circle and i dont envy them they in for a momentous job!!

realistically we all goin to feel the cuts in one way or another but the quicker we know what they are the better, then there is the emergency budget to come xx

Torquay

The temporary drop in Vat to 15% saw sales of white goods and other luxury goods rise significantly and give a respite to many small retailers in the recession.

If we see a new Vat rate of 20% 0r 22.5% in the coming months it will see an end to any rise in growth and will ultimately see many retail jobs and manufacturing jobs go.

They reckon that an extra 2.5% on Vat will mean in excess of 100,000 on unemployment figures.

A price worth paying?

It doesn't sound good but the money to repay debts has to come from somewhere. Its where the cuts come that more concerns me as we can all spend a little less to compensate for vat rises.

vat is unfair taxation at the best of times remember even essentials such as ladies sanitary products are under vat i think? condoms? clothing? food? gas,electric, ? i need to check what all does come under vat xx"

Is any tax fair? For that matter is it fair to make some pay more than others? Is it fair that anyone earns more than 500K a year. one persons fair is another's unjust

vat is unfair taxation at the best of times remember even essentials such as ladies sanitary products are under vat i think? condoms? clothing? food? gas,electric, ? i need to check what all does come under vat xx

Is any tax fair? For that matter is it fair to make some pay more than others? Is it fair that anyone earns more than 500K a year. one persons fair is another's unjust "

there has obviously got to be some form of taxation you want services they need to paid somehow? if someone earns over 500k a year good on them, they obviously worked hard to earn it or are a footballer or whatever you get paid what you worth apparently, personally i dont think i will ever have to worry about that size of a wage bill and the taxation that comes with it!

no word on the freeze on council tax either so be interestin to see how that one goes!

cut in income tax and ni, somethin tells me what the sham giveth the sham goin to be lookin to take back 5 fold xx

Torquay

It is very simple to see where Vat hits the poor more than it does the better off, it is therefore an unfair tax on the ordinary family.

Not only can the poor less afford new TV's, new Fridges etc., but they are less likely than many more well off people to be able to claim that Vat back.

"It is very simple to see where Vat hits the poor more than it does the better off, it is therefore an unfair tax on the ordinary family.

Not only can the poor less afford new TV's, new Fridges etc., but they are less likely than many more well off people to be able to claim that Vat back.

"

and there starts another problem, these things go , cant access affordable credit so its off to brighthouse and other rip off joints where you payin back up to 5 times the original cost for somethin that will break down before its paid off likely xx

"It is very simple to see where Vat hits the poor more than it does the better off, it is therefore an unfair tax on the ordinary family.

"

But VAT does at least tax the black economy where income tax doesn't! Maybe VAT should have a 17% and a super VAT at 25% for super luxury goods which you cannot claim VAT back on under any circumstances.

"

So what should the rich do? Make themselves poor just to appease some sense of fairness? Give it all away so they can hold their heads high in Chav St.?

I've seen people call Cameron & Clegg upper-class twits or some such like. Who should run our country if not our best educated? Some glue-sniffing, spotty little oik from DrugTown who never got an education?

If the govt get rid of VAT then income tax will rise. VAT was introduced to hide a rise in taxes in the first place. Labour has hit us with more stealth taxes than any government previously, because they knew that if they were up front and said income tax has to rise, they wouldn't have been in power for 13 years.

Torquay

The Tories are big fans of the Swedish model of economics, well documented by the way and not just the ramblings by a Labour supporter.

Vat and Income Tax in Sweden are both flat rated at 25%....and that includes Vat on retail food stuffs.

No Income Tax on the first £15,000 of income but 25% for every penny after that....however much you earn.

You buy a loaf of bread....25% Vat

You buy a flat screen TV....25% Vat

Higher average wage than the UK and far more generous benefit rates to aid the poor.

Torquay

I buy a fridge I claim back the Vat against my small business....

My elderly neighbour buys a fridge....she can claim nothing back

That is why Vat is a tax on the poor and less well off

Torquay

Wishy....give us a few examples of Labour stealth taxes brought in between 1997 and 2010?

Remember, must have been brought in by Labour.....

Torquay

Sorry that was meant to be Denmark and not Sweden......Sweden has a retail food Vat rate of 12% (soon to be 15%)

"

A question for you, would you have been so enthusiastic if the talks between the Tories and Libs had broken down and it had ended up a Lib/Lab goverment?

just some of labours achievements are below and it looks pretty good to me

1.Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s

2. Low mortgage rates

3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.35

4. Record police numbers in England, Scotland and Wales

5. Cut overall crime by 35 per cent

6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools

7. Best-ever primary school results

8. Funding for every pupil in England doubled by 2008

9. Employment is at its highest level ever

10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries

11. 85,000 more nurses

12. 32,000 more doctors

13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards

14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament

15. Devolved power to Welsh Assembly

16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time

17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice

18. Gift aid was worth £625 million to charities last year

19. Restored city-wide government to London

20. Record number of students in higher education

21. Child benefit up 25 per cent since 1997

22. Created Sure Start to help children from low income households

23. Introduced the Disability Rights Commission

24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & extra £100 for over-80s

25. On course to exceed the Kyoto target to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2010

26. Negotiated the historic Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland

27. Over 30,000 more teachers in England schools

28. All workers now have a right to 4 weeks’ paid holiday

29. A million pensioners lifted out of relative poverty

30. 800,000 children lifted out of relative poverty

31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents

32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships

33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard

34. Free school milk for five, six and seven-year-olds in Wales

35. Banned fox hunting

36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since the industrial revolution

37. Free TV licences for over-75s

38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals

39. Waiting times for operations halved

40. Free local bus travel for over-60s

41. New Deal - helped over a million people into work

42. Over 1.5 million child trust funds have been started

43. Free eye test for over 60s

44. Five, six and seven year olds in class sizes of 30 or less

45. Free entry to national museums and galleries

46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled

47. Cancer death rates down by 12 per cent, saving 43,000 lives

48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent

49. Free nursery places for three and four-year-olds in England, Scotland and Wales

50. Free fruit for all four to six-year-olds at school "

Well said ,,,,, now i know why they got my vote

But VAT does at least tax the black economy where income tax doesn't! Maybe VAT should have a 17% and a super VAT at 25% for super luxury goods which you cannot claim VAT back on under any circumstances. "

define a luxury good?

the tories never go for that as the richest quarters pay less tax as it is as they can afford clever accountants to hide it better x

Single person's tax allowance: £6,475

Current basic rate of income tax: 20%

Swedish Tax Allowance: £15,000

~

So let's say we adopt the Swedish model.

The first £15,000 is tax free.

That's an extra £8,525 in your pocket.

(£15,000 - £6,475) x 2 for a couple = £12,950

Now let's stick a flat VAT rate of 25% on everything.

Our biggest retail expenditure is for food, £100/week. That's £5,200 per year. Taxed at 25% = £1,300. Total £6,500.

We're still £6,450 better off under such a system, and I can't see us spending enough money to pay that all out in VAT.

I'll take a flat VAT rate of 25% and £15k tax free any day of the week. Sooner the better please!

Torquay

In 13 years under Labour Vat NEVER rose, in fact it was for a period lowered by 2.5%

Under the Tories Vat was brought in, in 1994 the Tories even implemented an 8% Vat rate on domestic heating.

Now the Tories are back in Vat is going up again....

Income Tax is a proportional Tax....Vat is a Regressive Tax, with a bias (positive) towards the better off in the country.

For Swedish read Denmark as corrected above by Jane.

Still think the door to number 10 will be painted BLUE with a YELLOW door mat

Torquay

You miss the point Wishy, the reason the Tories like the Scandinavian model is because the Income Tax Flat rate of 25% is biased towards the wealthy of the country.

You earn £25,000 a year you pay 25%....you earn £2.5m a year you pay 25%.

Also if you earn £2.5m you will have an accountant who will ensure you don't pay that much tax anyway.

there more to it than that! and i cant explain it because economics and tax have never been a strong point of mine!!

25% vat means an increase of 7.5 % across everythin from the essentials to the treats ? xx

"Wishy....give us a few examples of Labour stealth taxes brought in between 1997 and 2010?

Remember, must have been brought in by Labour....."

mortgage interest tax relief at sorce reduced from 15 to 10%

road fuel tax escaltor increased

vehicle excise duty increased massively for some vehicles

windfall taxes on utility companies and more recently bankers

landfill tax incresed

abolition of tax relief on married couples allownances

the last pre budget report Darling said that pensions would rise by 2.5% he did not mention that this only applied to the basic state pension NOT to serps, state second pension, graduated pensions, deferred basic pension payments etc....so in real terms he was hitting pensioners in the pocket by up to as much as £200 per year

Just a few taxes under labour that i could think of off top of my head....but am sure there are more.....just as I am sure there will be more under this administration....or any administration in the future

Torquay

But VAT does at least tax the black economy where income tax doesn't! Maybe VAT should have a 17% and a super VAT at 25% for super luxury goods which you cannot claim VAT back on under any circumstances.

define a luxury good?

the tories never go for that as the richest quarters pay less tax as it is as they can afford clever accountants to hide it better x"

The Tories (under their intial implimentation of Vat) defined fridges, gas and electric fires, central heating boilers and radiators, windows, blankets, footwear as luxury goods.

many of the taxes you mention stu are more targeted to businesses with the exception of fuel and mortgages and rd tax and most of them are "green taxes" seein how global issues were at the forefront for a while there.

pensions i dont understand but can remember an elderly person havin a curse over superannuation?? xx

I cannot see this govt introducing a flat rate of income tax at 25% but if they want to raise the tax allowance to £15,000 and then put a vat rate of 25% on everything then I'm all for it. It puts money in my pocket and as I've said all along - that's a vote winner for me.

(and the rich will pay a fuck load more when they eat out at the Ritz @ £20 for a fookin sandwich!)

"I cannot see this govt introducing a flat rate of income tax at 25% but if they want to raise the tax allowance to £15,000 and then put a vat rate of 25% on everything then I'm all for it. It puts money in my pocket and as I've said all along - that's a vote winner for me.

(and the rich will pay a fuck load more when they eat out at the Ritz @ £20 for a fookin sandwich!) "

so when you takin me there for lunch then??? xx

Stealth taxes introduced by Labour: 197 - 2004

===============================

July 1997

01 • Mortgage Interest Tax Relief At Source (MIRAS) reduced from 15% to 10%

02 • Dividend Tax Credits for pension schemes abolished

03 • Income tax relief on health insurance abolished

04 • Insurance Premium Tax extended to some health insurance

05 • Road Fuel Tax escalator increased to 6%

06 • Vehicle Excise Duty increased

07 • Tobacco duty escalator increased to 5%

08 • Stamp Duty raised to 2%

09 • Carry back of Corporation Tax losses limited to 1 year

10 • Windfall tax on utilities

March 1998

11 • Tax relief for the married couple's allowance (MCA) cut to 10%

12 • Top rate of Insurance Premium Tax extended to travel insurance

13 • Exceptional increase in tobacco and alcohol duties

14 • Duties on casinos and gaming machines raised

15 • Road Fuel Tax escalator increase brought forward

16 • Tax on company cars increased

17 • Tax relief on foreign earnings abolished

18 • Tax concessions for certain professions abolished

19 • Capital gains tax imposed on certain non-residents

20 • Restriction of Capital Gains Tax relief on reinvestment

21 • Corporation tax payments on account brought forward

22 • Stamp duty increased again

23 • Certain hydrocarbon duties increased

24 • Additional diesel duties introduced

25 • Landfill Tax increased

26 • Double tax credits on certain dividends restricted

March 1999

27 • National Insurance Contributions earning limit raised

28 • NI Contributions for self-employed increased

29 • Tax relief of Married Couple's Allowance abolished

30 • MIRAS abolished

31 • Self-employed contractors to pay NI and income tax as if employees

32 • Company car business mileage discount limited

33 • Double escalator on tobacco duties

34 • Insurance Premium Tax increased to 5%

35 • Vocational training relief abolished

36 • Employer NI Contribution base broadened to include all benefits in kind

37 • VAT on some banking services increased

38 • Tax on reverse premiums paid to tenants by landlords introduced

39 • Duty on domestic fuel oils up

40 • Vehicle Excise Duty for lorries increased

41 • Landfill tax escalator introduced

42 • Stamp Duty rates raised again to 2.5/3.5%

March 2000

43 • Tobacco duties increased above inflation

44 • Stamp duty raised for 4th time, scope of duty extended

45 • Extra taxation of life assurance companies

46 • Rules on tax havens tightened up

47 • Company car taxes raised

The Chancellor gives the exhausted nation a year off – no new stealth taxes!

April 2002

48 • Personal tax allowances frozen

49 • National Insurance threshold frozen

50 • NI Contributions for employers raised

51 • NI Contributions for employees raised [Class 1 up 1%]

52 • NI Contributions for self-employed raised

53 • North Sea taxation increased

54 • Duty on some alcoholic drinks raised

55 • Stamp duty thresholds frozen

56 • Tax relief on investment in film industy restricted

57 • Rules on corporate debt tightened

58 • Nil-rate threshold for inheritance tax raised by less than the rate of inflation

April 2003

59 • VAT imposed on electronically supplied services

60 • Domestic staff on £89/week to pay NI & income tax, employers to pay NI

61 • Betting duty increases

62 • Tax on red diesel and fuel oil increased

63 • Anti-tax haven rules tightened to cover more UK firms with Irish subsidiaries

64 • Vehicle excise duty raised

65 • Personal tax allowances frozen again

July, 2003

66 • £35 added to all fines and £3 added to the cost of a home insurance policy

September, 2003

67 • Price of petrol raised 7p per gallon (with the VAT)

October, 2003

68 • Up to 8 times increase in the stamp duty on leases for retail premises

69 • Airport Tax doubled

December, 2003

70 • 40% extra Council Tax on second homes was sneaked in while the Westminster Wonders were breaking up for their hols a whole week before Xmas.

Additional info : It has been pointed out that a number of councils gave an even bigger discount for second homes and the increase for some people can be 80%. Plus the usual 6-18% annual rise, depending on how bloated the council's operations have become.

Exemptions may be granted if the second home owner (1) has to live somewhere because of his/her employment, (2) the dwelling comes with the job, or (3) there are special threat/security reasons involved. All of which excuses apply to 10, Downing Street, the home of a certain Mr. Anthony B. Liar. (Thanks to M.K.)

January, 2004

71 • £60 per day fine for late submission of self-assessment income tax forms

72 • Traffic wardens to receive powers to impose fines for a whole bunch of offences to keep poor people off the roads. The offences will include parking more than 19 inches from the kerb (£100) and dithering by people who are lost over, and who don't know whether to make a turn or keep straight on

73 • A 'Victims Fund' surcharge fine on everyone who passes through the courts. £5 for speeding up to £30 for murder.

74 • Legal Aid for the middle classes abolished

February, 2004

75 • £40 per week charge to middle-class parents for formerly free nursery places

76 • £200 per year charge to middle-class parents for places on formerly free school buses

77 • £250 per hour charge from the fire brigade for non-fire-related call-outs, e.g. clearing up after road accidents and rescuing pussy cats from trees

March, 2004

78 • £550 tax rise (at standard rate) for people using a company van or people-carrier out of work time

79 • Council Tax will rise at least 7.4% next year (according to the Budget)

80 • The tax incentive for owner-operator small businesses to become companies abolished

81 • Tax on cross-border payments for goods and services between multi-divisional companies extended to transactions within the UK

82 • Tax on trusts up from 34% to 40%

83 • Duty on red diesel up 1p/litre above inflation (57% rise)

84 • Duty on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) used as fuel up 1p/litre above inflation (45% rise)

85 • Personal allowances for taxpayers under 65 frozen

April 2004

86 • PEPs and ISAs containing shares lose their tax break on dividends and the annual ISA allowance cut by £2,000 to £5,000

87 • The 100% tax allowance for small businesses & self-employed on new computer/advanced telephone equipment cut to 50% for 2004/5 tax year

88 • Passports – in addition to costing twice as much as the present price of £42, the new 'biometric data' passports will be valid for half as long. They will have to be renewed every 5 years instead of every 10 years, which doubles the cost yet again.

89 • £100 per year 'lighthouse tax' on small boats over 8 metres long. Commerial shipping lines think they should pay £2.6 million per year towards the annual £73 million cost of maintaining lighthouses and navigational equipment.

May 2004

90 • Council Tax bills to rise a further £110 in the affected areas to pay for 'Two Jags' Prescott's regional assemblies

Source: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/garbagegate/item2/stealth.htm

(I have no idea who this individual is but he seems to have done his homework.)

they all still hit the man on the street while lining the government coffers....and they were just the ones i could think of off top of my head....am sure if i spent some time going back over this then there would be a shed load of them

but as I said....any administration can be accused of stealth taxes whatever the colour of their underpants

"I cannot see this govt introducing a flat rate of income tax at 25% but if they want to raise the tax allowance to £15,000 and then put a vat rate of 25% on everything then I'm all for it. It puts money in my pocket and as I've said all along - that's a vote winner for me.

(and the rich will pay a fuck load more when they eat out at the Ritz @ £20 for a fookin sandwich!)

so when you takin me there for lunch then??? xx "

Before the bloody VAT rises!! Get ya coat!

holy moses wishy......now that is a shed load of them

all over the place

"In 13 years under Labour Vat NEVER rose, in fact it was for a period lowered by 2.5%

Under the Tories Vat was brought in, in 1994 the Tories even implemented an 8% Vat rate on domestic heating.

Now the Tories are back in Vat is going up again....

Income Tax is a proportional Tax....Vat is a Regressive Tax, with a bias (positive) towards the better off in the country."

yep totally agree ,you can bet your bottom dollar it is mostly the poor who will pay for this global recession,caused by crooked banks wrapping up non existent assets and flogging em to each other.

What do i expect the rich to do ? ,

pay their fair share,stop the offshore tax loopholes for a start..stop the bankroller of the tories from being tax free as a non dom and sitting in the house of lords ...or how about a windfall tax on BP and others as well

banking fat cats ...take over the boardrooms ,charge em 90% tax back date it if necessary tax there pensions to fuck.

Do what they like but hands off the poor i say ...!!!!

"holy moses wishy......now that is a shed load of them "

Go take a look at the link I provided. There's hundreds more!

For those who believe the Tories are for the rich, this is from their manifesto:

"The 50p tax rate.

We do not regard the new 50p tax rate as a permanent feature of the tax system, but we will not abolish it for the rich while at the same time asking many of our public sector workers to accept a pay freeze."

Torquay

Fuel Tax escalator.....not a new tax, a Tory implemented tax

The net gain on vehicle excise duty was nil as the extra on gas guzzlers was offset against reduction on more fuel efficient vehicles, so not a revenue earner.

Windfall Taxes on Utilty companies was an attempt to claw back some of the revenue lost by the Tories selling utilities off cheaply in the first place....and very popular it was too with the public.

And please don't tell me that the windfall tax on bankers isn't one of the best thing that has ever happened under ANY government!

Landfill Tax increase, the money from this tax goes directly into enviromental projects like clean burn incinerator plants...isn't it better than filling holes with rubbish?

Torquay

Wishy.....Tax rises on current taxes are not stealth, they happen under all British Governments in every budget and always have done.

The Tories were no different on this, Vat rose on Tobacco, Alcohol, and every other taxable commodity in just about every budget since the war.

Tell me NEW taxes that were implimented and raised under Labour.

Hello Con-Dems

so when you takin me there for lunch then??? xx

Before the bloody VAT rises!! Get ya coat! "

whay!! iv pulled lol!!

i seen that tiscalli thing when i googled stealth taxes, but used wikipedia for quickness!

stealth taxes was a phrase used by the tories and micheal portillo claimed that childrens tax credits were a stealth tax on marriage! xx

"Hello Con-Dems"

lol!!! i never thought of it like that!! x

all over the place

"Hello Con-Dems

lol!!! i never thought of it like that!! x"

i think cleggy is now Daves bitch ,but doesnt know it yet ..

Torquay

When the Tories dreamt up Vat for the British economy it was at 8% with 12.5% for 'luxury goods'

In Geoffrey Howe's first budget for a Thatcher government he decide 'everything' was a luxury item.

So he put the standard rate up to 15% OVERNIGHT.......

The only thing that stopped Thatcher putting a 2.5% Vat rate on retail uncooked food at that time was Tory advisors telling her there would be roits on the streets.

And why did Thatcher put Vat up to 15% flat rate?.....to pay for Income Tax reductions for all, but in the main to bring down the top rate of Income Tax.

The next time Vat rose in the UK was under John Major, to pay for cuts in the Poll Tax.

Funnily enough the next time Vat will rise will be under another new Tory Government....to once again inflate a tax that is biased towards the better off in the country.

i know im gonna get cruxified for this but when we talkin cuts im using this as an example of what i think is local authority waste and its not aimed at anyone and im not being disrespectful to anyones situation but i used to do a school run for local authority in taxi, they paid me £100 a day to transport a disabled child to and from school every mon to fri with exception of school holidays. childs mum didnt work because of his condition which was very demanding she could never have held a job due to the demands but they did have a motobility car for him why couldnt she take him to school??

as i said im not havin a go at anyone as i dont think i would be able to cope in that situation but seems a lot of money for somethin that could be done by the parents as they both drove xx

all over the place

"i know im gonna get cruxified for this but when we talkin cuts im using this as an example of what i think is local authority waste and its not aimed at anyone and im not being disrespectful to anyones situation but i used to do a school run for local authority in taxi, they paid me £100 a day to transport a disabled child to and from school every mon to fri with exception of school holidays. childs mum didnt work because of his condition which was very demanding she could never have held a job due to the demands but they did have a motobility car for him why couldnt she take him to school??

as i said im not havin a go at anyone as i dont think i would be able to cope in that situation but seems a lot of money for somethin that could be done by the parents as they both drove xx"

i see your point but its an anomaly isnt it,may be the transition from home to loco parentis needed to be formalised for insurance purposes.

but its a bit like people on a million plus a year still being entitled to child allowance,the allowance is there to be claimed and used.

Torquay

Don't get me wrong but there is shameful waste in all departments of this countries Government and Civil Service, not to mention the Social Services budget....

I live in a nice area, the family at the top of our road have a house that is circa £700k in value. The father works for the Met Office as a senior manager and is probably on £100k a year.

They have a child who unfortunately has severe learning difficulties and is mildly Autistic...

Every day they have a taxi to take this child to his special needs school, I always assumed that the cost was met by them as they are relatively wealthy and enjoy a privilaged lifestyle.

Their other child goes to a very nice private school and mum drops him off every day in her Porsche Cayenne.

I found out last week that the tab for taking the child to the special needs school is met by the state, she admitted to us that the cost is £350 for 5 days.

Yet she drives past the special needs school to deliver her other child to the private school.

So NO....everything is not right and things do need changing.

"i know im gonna get cruxified for this but when we talkin cuts im using this as an example of what i think is local authority waste and its not aimed at anyone and im not being disrespectful to anyones situation but i used to do a school run for local authority in taxi, they paid me £100 a day to transport a disabled child to and from school every mon to fri with exception of school holidays. childs mum didnt work because of his condition which was very demanding she could never have held a job due to the demands but they did have a motobility car for him why couldnt she take him to school??

as i said im not havin a go at anyone as i dont think i would be able to cope in that situation but seems a lot of money for somethin that could be done by the parents as they both drove xx

i see your point but its an anomaly isnt it,may be the transition from home to loco parentis needed to be formalised for insurance purposes.

but its a bit like people on a million plus a year still being entitled to child allowance,the allowance is there to be claimed and used. "

insurance is nothin to do with it, you dont need special car insurance if you have an additional support needs child, only if its being used for business purposes ie if you work with them in paid employment and using your own car xx

so MPS are to take a wage cut of 5%

Its a noble gesture and good PR if nothing else.

I think its a good move after the expenses scandal

"so MPS are to take a wage cut of 5%

I think its a good move after the expenses scandal "

At end of March this year public sector net debt stood at £890 billion which is the equivalent of 62% of GDP......their pay salary cut is not even a drop in the ocean of clawing some of this money back

At end of March this year public sector net debt stood at £890 billion which is the equivalent of 62% of GDP......their pay salary cut is not even a drop in the ocean of clawing some of this money back"

no but they need to be paid to do the job

which one of us moaning minnies would do it for nothing?

all over the place

but its a bit like people on a million plus a year still being entitled to child allowance,the allowance is there to be claimed and used.

insurance is nothin to do with it, you dont need special car insurance if you have an additional support needs child, only if its being used for business purposes ie if you work with them in paid employment and using your own car xx"

yeah i do take your point but if the child was severely disabled it may have been part of their time out assessment as carers.

All carers are now entitled to an assessment of their needs and a social worker purely for them (they save the country billions per year) ,also maybe the handover at school gates is less messy ,ie at what point do parents relinquish control and the school become loco parentis,who knows really...eh

but there is a lot of wastage ,lets stop all the council factfinding trips overseas for councillors for a start.

councillors need to see how people govern themselves abroad though to see if we can improve the way we do thngs here for everyone

whereas looking after someones disabled child only helps 1 or 2 people, the parents

I know which I would spend my spare cash on

iv worked in care for more years than i really want to think about and familiar with the assesment process and respite etc, but dont see the point of havin a mobility car sittin at the door not gettin used for the purpose its intended for and just seems a waste of very scarce resources. every parent has had the performance at the school gates at some point whether its mainstream children or additional needs!

totally agree on the junket trips etc with local authorities and the tea and biscuits bills etc xx

all over the place

"iv worked in care for more years than i really want to think about and familiar with the assesment process and respite etc, but dont see the point of havin a mobility car sittin at the door not gettin used for the purpose its intended for and just seems a waste of very scarce resources. every parent has had the performance at the school gates at some point whether its mainstream children or additional needs!

totally agree on the junket trips etc with local authorities and the tea and biscuits bills etc xx"

yeah the biscuit bills are horendous lol ....thing is mps,councillors etc forget they are just ordinary people and that level of self importance makes em believe they are special and entitled to be treated as such.If as they say .."they just want to serve..." ok let them ,give them the same expenses a normal employee in a average company would get.

I mean the pension a newly elected mp gets after 6 months service is crazy even if voted out after 6 months.

its time they all got a grip ,maybe a peoples parliament where people serve like jurors do for a fixed term of a year (job protected etc etc) and let the civil service do the general running of the place as they do now eh .,

at least it would be more representative..

"Don't get me wrong but there is shameful waste in all departments of this countries Government and Civil Service, not to mention the Social Services budget....

I live in a nice area, the family at the top of our road have a house that is circa £700k in value. The father works for the Met Office as a senior manager and is probably on £100k a year.

They have a child who unfortunately has severe learning difficulties and is mildly Autistic...

Every day they have a taxi to take this child to his special needs school, I always assumed that the cost was met by them as they are relatively wealthy and enjoy a privilaged lifestyle.

Their other child goes to a very nice private school and mum drops him off every day in her Porsche Cayenne.

I found out last week that the tab for taking the child to the special needs school is met by the state, she admitted to us that the cost is £350 for 5 days.

Yet she drives past the special needs school to deliver her other child to the private school.

So NO....everything is not right and things do need changing.

"

So does it matter if she drives a Porsche or would you look on her differently if it was a 5y/o Renault Clio. Is she to hide her lifestyle and only drive her nice car when it's dark so nobody sees it because someone doesn't like the fact that she, or her husband, are successful?

The system says her child has special needs and those needs have to be met by the state. The child doesn't earn a living and cannot support itself, what if it's parents suddenly died? Would it be ok to give the child what it needs then?

You cannot differentiate between the services people are entitled to based upon how successful they are. Either we live in a democracy or we don't. You can't have it both ways.

People on high salaries pay more in tax that most people earn in total so what's the problem? They're paying fgs!

It all smacks of jealousy to me.

"iv worked in care for more years than i really want to think about and familiar with the assesment process and respite etc, but dont see the point of havin a mobility car sittin at the door not gettin used for the purpose its intended for and just seems a waste of very scarce resources. every parent has had the performance at the school gates at some point whether its mainstream children or additional needs!

totally agree on the junket trips etc with local authorities and the tea and biscuits bills etc xx

yeah the biscuit bills are horendous lol ....thing is mps,councillors etc forget they are just ordinary people and that level of self importance makes em believe they are special and entitled to be treated as such.If as they say .."they just want to serve..." ok let them ,give them the same expenses a normal employee in a average company would get.

I mean the pension a newly elected mp gets after 6 months service is crazy even if voted out after 6 months.

its time they all got a grip ,maybe a peoples parliament where people serve like jurors do for a fixed term of a year (job protected etc etc) and let the civil service do the general running of the place as they do now eh .,

at least it would be more representative.. "

Sheesh! Why not go the whole hog and make it law that every single person above 18 has to have a day at running things! What ludicrous rubbish.

Better still, why don't you stand for parliament and see how much money you need to do the job. Travelling to London from your constituency, staying overnight because of a late night sitting of the house, visiting different places so you can get a real hands on feel of the job that you do and what still needs to be done. They can't do it from behind a desk, they have to get out there a meet people, and that costs money! Why don't you try it before you moan about what they get for doing a difficult job, and often a thankless one.

no its not jealousy

If she can afford to send the other child to a private school then she can afford to pay for the disabled one

after all the children are hers and her resposibilty up until the point she dies

she takes financial responsibilty for the first, why not the other?

At end of March this year public sector net debt stood at £890 billion which is the equivalent of 62% of GDP......their pay salary cut is not even a drop in the ocean of clawing some of this money back"

All rivers lead to the sea. A drop here, a drop there. It all adds up. Cameron said he'd find £6bn in savings and was guffawed by Brown for it. And Clegg! Bet he's wishing he hadn't said a few things during those debates lol

"no its not jealousy

If she can afford to send the other child to a private school then she can afford to pay for the disabled one

after all the children are hers and her resposibilty up until the point she dies

she takes financial responsibilty for the first, why not the other?

"

Because the state says she doesn't have to because one of her children has disabilities... or should only poor kids get that?

yes if she can afford to care for her own then she has a moral obligation to do so

its not my resposibilty or yours

besides its also wrong to assume that because she is wealthy she pays more tax

she probaly has a good accountant and pays less than me or you so its safe to assume that MAYBE she takes out far more than she pays into the system

and as she can afford to payt then in my eyes she is worse that someone with nothing on benefits

Forum Mod

O o O oo

the point being missed is.....if the child is disabled then then they normally get Mobility allowance.

I know someone who has a car on Mobility for her child, but does exactly what Mznwty says....lets a taxi pick her child up to take her to school while she waves her off.

If the car is given to her to aid the mobility of her child, why is the taxi still taking her to school?

I met a cpl of grandparents that I once worked with

They had 2 homes worth in total 3 milion pounds

They also inherited money from both their own sets of parents

when their daughter died leaving them to care for their disabled grand daughter, they got everything such as new wheelchair and modifications to bathroom and steps paid for

all the while they were getting a new pool put in the extention and going in 3 month long holidays

Its wrong, so wrong when that money could go to people that really do NEED it, cos they certainly did not

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I always thought it was means tested to get work done on your house for anyone disabled?

"yes if she can afford to care for her own then she has a moral obligation to do so

she probaly has a good accountant and pays less than me or you so its safe to assume that MAYBE she takes out far more than she pays into the system

and as she can afford to payt then in my eyes she is worse that someone with nothing on benefits"

Oh that old chestnut eh? The reliable dodgy accountant who hides it all. What bollox. So everyone rich is taking more than they're giving huh?

Jealousy. That's all it is. You want what someone else has. Maybe is safe for me to assume that eh?

so we rob the haves to pay the have not so much....at what point does it stop.....do we go back to income tax of 84% for the high earners again and ensure this time that they flee the country taking their wealth with them?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"yes if she can afford to care for her own then she has a moral obligation to do so

and as she can afford to payt then in my eyes she is worse that someone with nothing on benefits

Oh that old chestnut eh? The reliable dodgy accountant who hides it all. What bollox. So everyone rich is taking more than they're giving huh?

Jealousy. That's all it is. You want what someone else has. Maybe is safe for me to assume that eh? "

I think thats a bit harsh.....we all know that people get around paying tax and how they do it.

Jealousy is a word bandied about too easy when you don't have an answer for what you know probably happens.

Jealousy. That's all it is. You want what someone else has. Maybe is safe for me to assume that eh? "

I am not jealous of someone with a disabled child no I not in fact far from it I am bloody relieved

a lot of people do use the system to get more cash for themselves not the child

as usual I speak knowing people that do

and I have a lot of well of friends and I am not jealous of any of them either

so your wrong on both counts

ask someone that has met me instead of thinking that you know me

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"the point being missed is.....if the child is disabled then then they normally get Mobility allowance.

I know someone who has a car on Mobility for her child, but does exactly what Mznwty says....lets a taxi pick her child up to take her to school while she waves her off.

If the car is given to her to aid the mobility of her child, why is the taxi still taking her to school?"

Anyone know the answer to this one?

"I always thought it was means tested to get work done on your house for anyone disabled?"

they got work done on both their home here and their holiday home in wales

all state funded I assure you

but they were both pentioners albeit rich by then so maybe that helped

all over the place

Sheesh! Why not go the whole hog and make it law that every single person above 18 has to have a day at running things! What ludicrous rubbish.

Better still, why don't you stand for parliament and see how much money you need to do the job. Travelling to London from your constituency, staying overnight because of a late night sitting of the house, visiting different places so you can get a real hands on feel of the job that you do and what still needs to be done. They can't do it from behind a desk, they have to get out there a meet people, and that costs money! Why don't you try it before you moan about what they get for doing a difficult job, and often a thankless one. "

i agree a run it for a day concept is ridiculous ,but its not what i said ....your an old hand on here ....you know better than that wishy....

re the late night sittings they were voted out in 2000 ....

"MPS LAST night voted to abandon the 150-year-old tradition of late- night sittings in the House of Commons.

They backed an historic package of reforms to end the current 2.30pm start and instead begin business in the Commons at 11.30am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. They also agreed to shorter summer breaks and more modern practices such as ensuring questions to ministers were more topical. "

They get over 3 months off per year ,their constituency offices paid for.

If they can pair off they dont even have to turn up and vote .lol

Take a look at how empty the place is during normal debates ,tell me if its so hard, how come loads of them sit on boards and have directorships..?

and how come so many professional people QC's etc strive to get in there?

"the point being missed is.....if the child is disabled then then they normally get Mobility allowance.

If the car is given to her to aid the mobility of her child, why is the taxi still taking her to school?

Anyone know the answer to this one?"

Found this on Mumsnet:

http://www.mumsnet.com/special-needs/benefits/help-with-schooling-costs

Better still, why don't you stand for parliament and see how much money you need to do the job. Travelling to London from your constituency, staying overnight because of a late night sitting of the house, visiting different places so you can get a real hands on feel of the job that you do and what still needs to be done. They can't do it from behind a desk, they have to get out there a meet people, and that costs money! Why don't you try it before you moan about what they get for doing a difficult job, and often a thankless one.

i agree a run it for a day concept is ridiculous ,but its not what i said ....your an old hand on here ....you know better than that wishy....

"MPS LAST night voted to abandon the 150-year-old tradition of late- night sittings in the House of Commons.

They backed an historic package of reforms to end the current 2.30pm start and instead begin business in the Commons at 11.30am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. They also agreed to shorter summer breaks and more modern practices such as ensuring questions to ministers were more topical. "

Take a look at how empty the place is during normal debates ,tell me if its so hard, how come loads of them sit on boards and have directorships..?

"

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know late night sittings had ended in 2000. Still, if an MP is required for a 9am sitting and he has to travel some distance to be there then it's reasonable to expect him/her to travel the night before and be put up in a hotel.

Siren does this all the time when she has to work away. It means she is fresh and ready to work at the time she is required to do so and she isn't susceptible to delays due to train not running on time etc.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It doesn't really answer the question though? If they are getting Mobility allowance for helping their child be mobile, then why the need for a council to pay someone to take them to school? Isn't that a double whammy?

Don't get me wrong, anyone who is disabled should in my opinion claiming for every thing they are entitled too, but this is getting something twice.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know late night sittings had ended in 2000. Still, if an MP is required for a 9am sitting and he has to travel some distance to be there then it's reasonable to expect him/her to travel the night before and be put up in a hotel.

Siren does this all the time when she has to work away. It means she is fresh and ready to work at the time she is required to do so and she isn't susceptible to delays due to train not running on time etc."

Lots of people have to travel for work......if they don't want to do the job, they could look for another.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS this is getting way too big to load now because of the long quotes on it..so unless someone is typing at the minute, I will shut this one. If you want to carry on can someone open part 2 please