FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Simple web security for the home user.

Simple web security for the home user.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *1dKingCole OP   Man  over a year ago

east london

I was writing this for another post but it didn't happen

So will post this here.

(Assuming MS Windows)

1. Get yourself a good anti-virus and malware checker, then keep it/them up to date.

2. Make sure your machine is receiving its security patches form Microsoft, and preferably checking daily.

3. If you are not a technical user and not familiar with net security etc, create a new 'basic' logon on your computer, then login using this account and only basic user rights; browse the net from there.

This is best practise, and the normal working method of many professional system administrators. This will stop any compromised site or exploit enabled on your machine getting to critical parts.

4. Always login with a password. And have passwords for every account/user on the computer.

Do all the above and don't automatically click 'Yes' to everything and you will be a lot safer.

This is not an exhaustive list of possibilities but stops dam near everything.

Hope this helps someone.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Well I do all that but still people don't read my profile

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"Well I do all that but still people don't read my profile "

There are words on your profile??? I thought it was just pics?

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"I was writing this for another post but it didn't happen

So will post this here.

(Assuming MS Windows)

1. Get yourself a good anti-virus and malware checker, then keep it/them up to date.

2. Make sure your machine is receiving its security patches form Microsoft, and preferably checking daily.

3. If you are not a technical user and not familiar with net security etc, create a new 'basic' logon on your computer, then login using this account and only basic user rights; browse the net from there.

This is best practise, and the normal working method of many professional system administrators. This will stop any compromised site or exploit enabled on your machine getting to critical parts.

4. Always login with a password. And have passwords for every account/user on the computer.

Do all the above and don't automatically click 'Yes' to everything and you will be a lot safer.

This is not an exhaustive list of possibilities but stops dam near everything.

Hope this helps someone.

"

As a technotwit....... I have to ask....

What??????

Seriously, I've got avast...... is that good? and am I meant to do anything with it?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

sorry can you explain that to me again????

By *ishful.thinkingWoman  over a year ago

east london

"sorry can you explain that to me again????"

don't you hate "techy" stuff i never get any of it, need to get someone around to sort it for me

By *1dKingCole OP   Man  over a year ago

east london

"

As a technotwit....... I have to ask....

What??????

Seriously, I've got avast...... is that good? and am I meant to do anything with it?

"

LOL

First. Anything is better than nothing. By far!

Although I haven't had a problem with the free offerings like Avast free, (and a lot of people use them successfully) I do wonder what you get for your money sometimes.

Although I have recently experimented with the newish free 'Microsoft Security Essentials' and found it very stable and easy to live with, having apparently a low overhead.

I don't know how 'good' it is when faced with new stuff, but seems good and they have assess to that latest info when writing it of course.

Re Avast, I do note the 'Professional' version did not score highly in some comparison reviews.

'Top 10 Reviews' rated it 11 out of 20 (go figure. lol)

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

These are all pay for ones though, but if you want to stick to free ones, PCAdvisor has rounded up and lists a selection of the best ones.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsId=3217315

(scan down to: 'PC Advisor tested: free antivirus programs')

There are also other good suggestions here too.

Have fun LOL

PS All you have to do with it is let it run.

» Add a new message to this topic