FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Day the immigrants left

The Day the immigrants left

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Whos watching and what do you think. Close the borders.Our country needs to be able to breath again.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Whos watching and what do you think. Close the borders.Our country needs to be able to breath again."

Watching Chelsea why what channel is it on? will record if you let us know.

If we get rid of the imigrants, who is gonna pick our fruit and vegetables, clean our streets and bins, drive our buses and vans? Who will pay the taxes to provide for all the pensioners?

"If we get rid of the imigrants, who is gonna pick our fruit and vegetables, clean our streets and bins, drive our buses and vans? Who will pay the taxes to provide for all the pensioners?"

Makes you think when you put it like that lol

"If we get rid of the imigrants, who is gonna pick our fruit and vegetables, clean our streets and bins, drive our buses and vans? Who will pay the taxes to provide for all the pensioners?"

Probably the people who can't get a job because of all the dodgy bosses who pay the imigrants slave wages.

No low wage labour would mean they'd have to take the unemployed, who were born here,off the dole and pay a decent living wage.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I'm cracking up at the two guys trying out working in the spud factory.... making excuses already "I bet they don't work this quick when we ain't here"

"If we get rid of the imigrants, who is gonna pick our fruit and vegetables, clean our streets and bins, drive our buses and vans? Who will pay the taxes to provide for all the pensioners?

Probably the people who can't get a job because of all the dodgy bosses who pay the imigrants slave wages.

No low wage labour would mean they'd have to take the unemployed, who were born here,off the dole and pay a decent living wage."

well they would never pay the dolies now back handers while they still claim would they!

Face it the OP has a point we would be shafted without some of the immigrants.

"If we get rid of the imigrants, who is gonna pick our fruit and vegetables, clean our streets and bins, drive our buses and vans? Who will pay the taxes to provide for all the pensioners?

No low wage labour would mean they'd have to take the unemployed, who were born here,off the dole and pay a decent living wage."

Funny... what they normally when they can't get the cheap labour over here.... they get it done in a country where they can get it done cheaper. So the UK unemployed stay unemployed and we lose out on taxes too.

Posibly true, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the boses would pay minimum wages (hardly a living wage) and people would have to do the work and lump it. People are, after all, in business to make money, not pay decent wages.

Imigration brings valuable benefits to this country (when did u last eat a curry or chinese?) and without them the country would grind to a shuddering halt.

Oh this is sooooo funny.... have you seen how many of the UK people haven't bothered to come in to work... even though they are meant to be desperate to work and know there is a camera crew ... thank fuck for the Polish

Personally I think we need immigrants, I also think some people have earned the right to live and work in this country.

However if a lot were to leave workers would be in shorter supply therefore companies who cant use cheap labour abroad (the indians may be able to man phone lines but they cant pick our strawberries in Calcutta) would have to pay higher wages

This unfortunately would raise the price of the products themselves so the higher wages would be spent on more expensive products

No low wage labour would mean they'd have to take the unemployed, who were born here,off the dole and pay a decent living wage.

Posibly true, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the boses would pay minimum wages (hardly a living wage) and people would have to do the work and lump it. People are, after all, in business to make money, not pay decent wages.

Imigration brings valuable benefits to this country (when did u last eat a curry or chinese?) and without them the country would grind to a shuddering halt."

But on the other hand,the greater proportion of many imigrants wages are sent straight back to the country they came from,not recirculated into our economy.

I started off working inthe factorys when I first left school worked in school hols with the gang masters bloody hard work but best days I had such a laugh working with the gangs. Remember cropping leeks and packing flowers would do any job to earn some money.

"Personally I think we need immigrants, I also think some people have earned the right to live and work in this country.

However if a lot were to leave workers would be in shorter supply therefore companies who cant use cheap labour abroad (the indians may be able to man phone lines but they cant pick our strawberries in Calcutta) would have to pay higher wages

This unfortunately would raise the price of the products themselves so the higher wages would be spent on more expensive products"

Or they would just import more strawberries and ours would rot in the feilds. Did you see the programme showing them growing spuds in the desert outside of Egypt? And they were all for the UK.

Imigration brings valuable benefits to this country (when did u last eat a curry or chinese?) and without them the country would grind to a shuddering halt.

But on the other hand,the greater proportion of many imigrants wages are sent straight back to the country they came from,not recirculated into our economy. "

They pay taxes, pay rent, pay council tax and buy food and clothes... they just don't always bank the spare cash.

But on the other hand,the greater proportion of many imigrants wages are sent straight back to the country they came from,not recirculated into our economy. "

It is true that much wages are sent to the home country, but imigrants still pay taxes (as a nod to the comment re illegal gang masters, they are in a minority, but not all do) and they also pay rent on houses, buy food, drink, water, electricity, gas etc. It is (much as in our own pay packets) the disposable income which is dispursed. Besides, I wonder if you have had a foreign holiday in your life? Did the British ecconomy benefit from any of the money which was spent overseas?

By *entadreadMan  over a year ago

Essex

Interesting, the issue of immigration is not as simple as most people think, the country needs immigrants more than they need the country. In the long run, its the Country that benefits.

With a recession and no work. We need the jobs resources are stretched ie schools and hospitals. I know builders who cant get work because they get undercut. For example.

let any one in ,,, when its overflowing the ensuing riots will level things off ,,,,,simples

The numbers of migrant (and UK) workers leaving the UK is slowly catching up with the number of migrant workers entering the country (though there are still more people coming in than going out) … there is one very important point in the current trends of migrant worker movement. The younger migrant workers who come to earn for a few years and then leave again, pay far more into the system than they take from it.

It is an utter fallacy promoted by the likes of fascist organisations such as the BNP that immigrants take the jobs of the local population.

Immigrants who come to this country generally have a strong work ethic and have left dire circumstances in their own countries to try to work hard and improve the quality of life for themselves and their families. They will often take on crappy jobs that nobody local will take on for low wages and work bloody hard. And exactly the same applies to local people with a strong work ethic.

And there are indigenous and immigrant people who are lazy arses too. But in times of economic hardship, it is easy to blame any minority group for the woes of the majority. Irish, Indians, Jamaicans, Eastern Europeans at various times over the last 100 years in this country.

And the danger of doing this? Look at what happened to the Jews in Nazi Germany...........

"I know builders who cant get work because they get undercut. For example."

And that is the fault of who? The UK builder for thinking they can charge what they like or the guy who can do it for less money?

Should I assume all expressed opinions apply only to legal immigrants?

Or do they apply to the illegal ones too?

By *entadreadMan  over a year ago

Essex

It is the economy Stupid!

Builders with no work because they are being undercut??? The laws of demand and supply dictate the market. If supply exceeds demand, the unemployed builders need to charge the existing market prices.

I dare say wage undercutting is a poor excuse for being unemployed.

"Should I assume all expressed opinions apply only to legal immigrants?

Or do they apply to the illegal ones too? "

Well I'm only talking about legal migrant workers. Illegal immigrants are a different matter entirely ... though some have difficulty separating the two issues.

Fair play to the guys who put something back into society but its the ones who take the piss. Claim benefits and drain the country. Take our houses have you checked a maternity ward lately.

"It is the economy Stupid!

Builders with no work because they are being undercut??? The laws of demand and supply dictate the market. If supply exceeds demand, the unemployed builders need to charge the existing market prices.

I dare say wage undercutting is a poor excuse for being unemployed. "

Ahhhhh the invisible hand of the market.... the corner stone of Maggie Thatchers policies.

A number of different opinions expressed.

The jewish issue in germany is slightly different to the imigrant issue, and it is quite important to deliniate. The Jews were hated (for milenia) just because they do good jobs (they kind of have to).

I also agree that there is a world of difference between legal and illegal imigration.

I have an immense distaste for asylum seekers, not on ideological grounds, but purely and symply because in order to get to Britain, asylum seekers have to cross at least 1 national border (sailing from, say, North Africa to Southern France) and more usualy a large number of them. Why not claim asylum in any of the European nations they travel through?

Well I'm only talking about legal migrant workers. Illegal immigrants are a different matter entirely ... though some have difficulty separating the two issues."

In your example of a builder being undercut by immigrants, as a percentage how many of the builders who are undercutting established UK builders are fully legal? ( legally entitled to be here, to work here,all taxes paid, all permits,all licenses, comply with all aspects of health and safety for all employees etc? )

Well I'm only talking about legal migrant workers. Illegal immigrants are a different matter entirely ... though some have difficulty separating the two issues.

In your example of a builder being undercut by immigrants, as a percentage how many of the builders who are undercutting established UK builders are fully legal? ( legally entitled to be here, to work here,all taxes paid, all permits,all licenses, comply with all aspects of health and safety for all employees etc? ) "

How many british builders are legal? Criminality is not brought about by imigrants, nor by poverty (or is white collar crime not realy crime?)

In your example of a builder being undercut by immigrants, as a percentage how many of the builders who are undercutting established UK builders are fully legal? ( legally entitled to be here, to work here,all taxes paid, all permits,all licenses, comply with all aspects of health and safety for all employees etc? ) "

I don't know... how many UK builders are fully legal, pay all their taxes, only use people with the correct qualifications, permits, licenses and comply with all aspects of health and safety for all employees?... I don't know that either but I do know it sure isn't ALL of them.... see 'Rogue Builders'

In your example of a builder being undercut by immigrants, as a percentage how many of the builders who are undercutting established UK builders are fully legal? ( legally entitled to be here, to work here,all taxes paid, all permits,all licenses, comply with all aspects of health and safety for all employees etc? )

I don't know... how many UK builders are fully legal, pay all their taxes, only use people with the correct qualifications, permits, licenses and comply with all aspects of health and safety for all employees?... I don't know that either but I do know it sure isn't ALL of them.... see 'Rogue Builders' "

I fully agree, but do two wrongs make a right? If you compare a legal legitimate builder ( or any job/service provider) with anyone who might cut corners to undercut them its not fair to call the ones who DO play by the rules greedy.

PS, did you wow the nurse

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"

I have an immense distaste for asylum seekers, not on ideological grounds, but purely and symply because in order to get to Britain, asylum seekers have to cross at least 1 national border (sailing from, say, North Africa to Southern France) and more usualy a large number of them. Why not claim asylum in any of the European nations they travel through? "

The rules of Asylum are MEANT to be... to claim Asylum, the seeker has to claim asylum in the FIRST safe country of refuge.

Unfortunately, this generally means France or Spain and neither of those countries want them. The European Court of Human Rights has returned anyone asylum seeker we have pushed back to another European country, so whats the point really......

We get stuck with them because no one else will take them and we haven't got one politician with enough balls to say... enough...

We will continue to kowtow to France, we will continue to pay everyone who comes here, we will continue to give them free health care, we will continue to give them housing and they will continue to come first because our namby pamby social system dare not put a British born and bred taxpayer first.

Whilst the words racism and discrimination are treated with fear by those in the political and governmental sector, the British citizen will continue to come last.

Cyprus

Actually, I would make ALL those on the dole who are able to work, take whatever job is going and ONLY when our own unemployment is sorted out would I allow immigrants (legal) to come here to work.

Any work is better than no work, and lets be honest, due to tax credits (working and child), housing benefits etc, no one should be on the poverty line regardless of their job.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i watched this programme to and found it quite interesting,.

Having worked (in the offices!!) of a local fruit and veg grower who would employ up to 100 eatern european students every year i have seen how hard they work.

you saw on the programme that half of the English people didnt actually turn up for the jobs they were so desperate to try out.....yeah right - desperate to be on TV more like it.

the 2 guys in the spud factory reckoned that the line was sped up for them when in reality it was slowed down

the fact of the matter is English people have got used to relying on the dole and look for scape goats to blame - the presenter went into the local job centre and found a least 3 unskilled jobs on their computer system yet everyone reckoned they were looking for work everyday!

I don't know... how many UK builders are fully legal, pay all their taxes, only use people with the correct qualifications, permits, licenses and comply with all aspects of health and safety for all employees?... I don't know that either but I do know it sure isn't ALL of them.... see 'Rogue Builders'

I fully agree, but do two wrongs make a right? If you compare a legal legitimate builder ( or any job/service provider) with anyone who might cut corners to undercut them its not fair to call the ones who DO play by the rules greedy.

PS, did you wow the nurse "

It's also unfair to assume anyone who does it cheaper is cutting corners and not working legally.

Were the jews not hated because according to the bible they were cast out by god for turning thier backs on her, were the Nazi's not just carrying out gods will by exterminating them in order to appease God, did he not tell them that they would be cast out forever and never find a true home ?

Cyprus

"Were the jews not hated because according to the bible they were cast out by god for turning thier backs on her, were the Nazi's not just carrying out gods will by exterminating them in order to appease God, did he not tell them that they would be cast out forever and never find a true home ?"

You can't seriously be comparing the extermination of the Jews by Hitler to a debate about immigrants and whether or not we should shut our boarders?

FFS....... 100's of Thousands of Jews were exterminated. We just want to send the illegal immigrants home!

Well politicians, that's a whole other thing. I doubt I will be satisfied with politics in Britain (and you may be able to see that I am up with it) untill there is an English parliment with at least the same rights as the Scotish.

However, I don't think I would agree with rolling back discrimination rules. Black and asian people had a realy hard time getting equivalency to the other imigrant people in britain (you know, saxons, angles, romans, celts). A couple of generations later and you would not dare refuse someone any service because of their colour, not just because of the law, but because it is just not right and white people (myself inclued) would object as strongly as an 'ethnic minority and rightly so.

"It's also unfair to assume anyone who does it cheaper is cutting corners and not working legally."

I didn't assume they were, I'm just suggesting one possible scenario which fits the question without necessarily labelling the builder/service provider greedy.

PS, I didn't read the later posts on the nurse thread

sorry

"Were the jews not hated because according to the bible they were cast out by god for turning thier backs on her, were the Nazi's not just carrying out gods will by exterminating them in order to appease God, did he not tell them that they would be cast out forever and never find a true home ?"

I beg your pardon, but does the bible not preach tolerance of averyone, especialy ones enemies? No the Jews were persecuted accross the world because they were an easy target. D

Don't make the mistake of thinking we fought WWII becaue jews were being killed by nazi's. My argument here is that a) anti sematism was as widespread among the populous here as in germany (Longshanks comited arguably the first anti jewish genocide in the 12th Century) and b) the allied governments did not know of the extent of the genocide.

The view of religion expressed there holds true for Islam, but not for catholosism as I undersdtand it (I don't know about CofE though).

Cyprus

Unfortunately, at the moment, the economy is ruling spending.

I know a british builder who has struggled to get work over the past 3 years because the Polish keep under cutting him.

Whether or not they have the appropriate training, permits and licences, the customer is (at the moment) driven by a desire to save money.

If my friend was to charge £5,000 for a decent loft conversion, and a polish firm would charge £3,000........ who would win the contract?

My friend is extremely talented and good at his job, he under charges from what he would normally get but still can't get the work.

And yes.... he is qualified, licenced and permit holding.

[Removed by poster at 24/02/10 22:44:19]

PS who was sposed to do what to which nurse?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nurses

"

When a load of builder's went to Germany to work years ago stealing German jobs was that ok or different???

"PS who was sposed to do what to which nurse?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nurses "

Calm down Georgy, male nurse

"PS who was sposed to do what to which nurse?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nurses

Calm down Georgy, male nurse "

Awwwww

I sometimes wonder who people are listening to when they start talking about the problem of asylum seekers as if there are 10's of 1000's turning up every month and as if we open our doors to everyone who turns up.

Asylum seekers are a tiny problem.

Migrant workers are essential for this country to function.

Illegal immigrants are a different matter and we do send plenty of them back… and rightly so in the vast majority of cases.

" “Annual immigration statistics for 2008 and quarterly immigration figures for April to June 2009, covering migration from Eastern Europe, asylum applications and removals and voluntary departures, were published by the Home Office today (August 2009).

The figures show that work applications from the eight accession countries have continued to fall in 2009. In the second quarter of this year there were 26,150 applications from workers in Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia and the Czech Republic - down from 46,070 in the same period in 2008.

The number of Bulgarian and Romanians applying for accession worker cards also continues to fall. There were 580 applications in the second quarter of 2009, a fall of 43 per cent, compared to the same quarter in 2008.

The Office of National Statistics (ONS) published figures earlier today that show net-migration fell to 118,000 in 2008, from 209,000 in 2007, the lowest since the eight accession countries joined the EU in 2004.

In the first half of 2009, 30,435 people illegally in the United Kingdom were removed or voluntarily departed from the country, including 2,550 foreign prisoners. The latest figures also confirm that a total 67,980 people were removed or voluntarily departed in 2008.

Individuals seeking asylum in the United Kingdom has remained broadly at the same level over the past four years. It is less than a third of the level when it peaked in 2002. Applications for asylum in the second quarter of 2009 were 6,045 compared with 5,830 in quarter two 2008. The Home Office is now concluding 60 per cent of new asylum cases within six months.

'The fall in net-migration is further proof that migrants come to the UK for short periods of time, work, contribute to the economy and then return home. Our new flexible points based system gives us greater control on those coming to work or study from outside Europe, ensuring that only those that Britain need can come.

'Britain's borders are stronger than ever before. Our border controls in northern France are stopping record numbers of migrants reaching our shores - 28,000 in 2008.” "

When a load of builder's went to Germany to work years ago stealing German jobs was that ok or different???

"

Very true. Weren't the spinners who were undercut by machine looms (in the 18th Century) beaten up (see ludites in any encyclopedia)? Or workers laid off my the introdution or robots on production lines in the 80's told to shut up and retrain?

Either go with Monetarist ecconomics for good or bad and ride the stock market crashes with the booms, or go with Keynseyan ecconomics and rich people pay the reasonable share of taxes that they can afford to pay.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Fair play to the guys who put something back into society but its the ones who take the piss. Claim benefits and drain the country. Take our houses have you checked a maternity ward lately."

Take our houses... are we now taking about asylam seekers? thats a different topic.....

and we just get something clear with regards to legal immigrants (the EU people ) which was the point of program... they are not allowed to actually claim ANY benefits for the first year they are here... even though they do pay taxes....

"

That's different... obviously.

By *uton_coupleCouple  over a year ago

luton

this thread is about the proggrame that was on the telly this evening and i would like to focus on that

no matter where you come from be it born here or a migrant there is no way on gods earth anyone should have to pack potatoes 12 hours a day working at full belt

or should you have to pick asparagus for 12 hours till your back breaks

it just is not ethical

on top of that they get no sick pay / holiday pay / or redundancy

the more this type of work goes on , the more it will become the accepted norm , then the next step is

WE WILL ALL HAVE TO WORK THAT HARD

in a civilised society there should be limits as to how hard you can work a person into the ground

you wouldnt work a horse for 12 hours a day , so why should a human do it

i know im not going to change anyones mind on here who think its a good idea to have those poor bastards come over here to practically live in a field picking veg , and if they become ill lets just roll them into the ditch to fucking die but

if the farmers are going to do that they might aswell go the whole hog and bring back slavery , once theres a good enough stock the farmers can set up breeding colonys

being very serrious i bought a bag of spuds the other day for £1.25

i would gladly pay 10 pence more so the workers on the line could go home a few hours early , and not be scared to take a piss or smoke a fag in case the bloody conveyer belt slows down

I remember being picked up at 5 in the morning working right through till 7 or 8 oclock at night a good days work never hurt anyone.

luton

"I remember being picked up at 5 in the morning working right through till 7 or 8 oclock at night a good days work never hurt anyone."

i hope you still saying that when your / brother / sister / children / parents , have to do the same

you can shout after one of the members of your own family

GO FOR IT A HARD DAYS WORK NEVER HURT ANYONE

that well might be the case but you try endure it day after day after day after day

Crop picking is seasonal work... there is only a limited time span to harvest it, so long hours are the way it is.... and more importantly it's the way it's always been.

In fact kids use to be kept out of school and everyone worked as long as there was light.

In the programme they said one of the guys earned himself £130 in one day because of the pace of work he chose... a far cry from slavery.

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

"Unfortunately, at the moment, the economy is ruling spending.

I know a british builder who has struggled to get work over the past 3 years because the Polish keep under cutting him.

Whether or not they have the appropriate training, permits and licences, the customer is (at the moment) driven by a desire to save money.

If my friend was to charge £5,000 for a decent loft conversion, and a polish firm would charge £3,000........ who would win the contract?

My friend is extremely talented and good at his job, he under charges from what he would normally get but still can't get the work.

And yes.... he is qualified, licenced and permit holding."

nobody seemed to care when British builders did the same in germany in the 80s :P

Bristol

"Fair play to the guys who put something back into society but its the ones who take the piss. Claim benefits and drain the country. Take our houses have you checked a maternity ward lately.

Take our houses... are we now taking about asylam seekers? thats a different topic.....

and we just get something clear with regards to legal immigrants (the EU people ) which was the point of program... they are not allowed to actually claim ANY benefits for the first year they are here... even though they do pay taxes...."

Not only are they not allowed to claim, but I can tell you through first hand experience that the goverment intentionaly give them FALSE information on what they need to do to eventualy claim..

My wife is Polish, has been in uk over 12 years, soon as Poland joined EU, she got het NI card and was told she could work.

Worked 4 years non stop, paid taxes, got married to myself a UK Brit.. yet soon as she lost her job they demanded her work registration forms to claim.. yet ignored us when we pointed out that acording to thier own site, any person married to a brit or worked over 2yrs solid, doidn't need the form!

They refused us any payments for 6 months, almost cost us our house, while they demanded forms we didnt need, that would cost £99 and had a yrs backlog to get!

By *zMaleMan  over a year ago

penzance

All the lazy bastards that are sat on their arses at home in their council houses on benefits watching Sky getting pissed.

What is the incentive to go out to work when cpls on benefits in a council house have more disposable income than a cpl who both work with a mortgage.

I don't mean to upset all council house tennants as i appreciate that not all are like the example I've given

By *adyPenelopeWoman  over a year ago

worcestershire

Not sure if this has been covered, although I did plough through most of the responses.

I watched this programme and although it may be different to how it was explained in reality, they expressed several times that the builders were charging the same amount as the british builders, but unlike the brits they were prepared to work longer hours and harder to make sure dead lines were met.

Having had a builder work for me in the past, in my experience builders can be rude, indignant, try and riddle out of things when they don't do the job agreed with the quality of materials expected and never meet deadlines.

I can't speak for how an immigrant worker would differ, but the comparison given during the programme was that it would be a damn site better.

The fact that we like and want the freedom to work and live in other Countries, we just can't cease to allow others to work here, however, I do think there should be strict policies on who qualifies, which should be governed by need and demand. Often you will see adverts for people to live in Australia with certain skills, the same should apply here.

If the British people are lazy it is because they have been allowed to get lazy and why should they change if they don't have to? Give them a reason to get off their backsides and an opportunity to feel the sense of achievement after a good days graft and things may well improve.

penzance

If we got all the british unemployed jobs the Government would not have to pay benefits so we would have more than enough money left to pay the pensioners, NHS education and emergency services.

hi i will say kev is one of my best mates worked with him for 5 years when he was on the doors all i will say hitler was a bad man but if got it right

send them bk

By *adyPenelopeWoman  over a year ago

worcestershire

And if the 2 million odd brits who are currently working abroad had to come back, we would still have unemployment and be crippled.

Nothing is that simple!

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

doesnt anyone think the programme makers had a hidden agenda.....look at the bigger picture and see what is selectively put thru that box you all have in the corner of your lounges.....my tuppence worth....research whay you are watching and what is given the go ahead to out on air and what programmes have been made and are not allowed.....its interesting..trust me

penzance

"And if the 2 million odd brits who are currently working abroad had to come back, we would still have unemployment and be crippled.

Nothing is that simple!"

That begs the question why are they abroad?????????

I watched the programme and found it quite interesting.

It showed that we, as Britons, are so far up our arses that we think these menial jobs are below us. Most of them couldn't even be bothered to turn up on the first day!

It also showed that, in general, foreign workers are exploited in order to keep costs down. They don't argue or go on strike. They realise that the poor pay is better than they'd get at home so they keep their heads down and work their little socks off.

It also seemed to me that in making this programme Evan whatsisname was trying to deflect constant criticism of foreign workers at a time when immigration is a big election issue so perhaps there was some kind of hidden agenda here.

For me...well it just proved that we are a bunch of work shy lazy devils who have had it far to easy for far too long!

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"I watched the programme and found it quite interesting.

It showed that we, as Britons, are so far up our arses that we think these menial jobs are below us. Most of them couldn't even be bothered to turn up on the first day!

It also showed that, in general, foreign workers are exploited in order to keep costs down. They don't argue or go on strike. They realise that the poor pay is better than they'd get at home so they keep their heads down and work their little socks off.

It also seemed to me that in making this programme Evan whatsisname was trying to deflect constant criticism of foreign workers at a time when immigration is a big election issue so perhaps there was some kind of hidden agenda here.

For me...well it just proved that we are a bunch of work shy lazy devils who have had it far to easy for far too long! "

Exactly!

With reguard to the first part of this post, I was working for the Local Authority on school playing field maitainance, and we had a young lad start on work experience with us. We visited his school and his school mates started taunting him for being on community service. He explained that we were actually being employed and he was on work experience and his friends were gobsmacked that people actually did jobs like mine for pay and not as punishment This incedent was nearly 20 years ago, so it`s been like that for a long time and not just recently.

ok lets close the doors and see how long it takes for the country to grind to a halt!

the benefits system has created a monster in that for someone taking a job they may only be 20 quid a wk better off. some may take it as they have pride others may say no fuckin chance are they working for that.

why work and pay your way say in a low paid low skilled job for example fruit picking or whatever when you can sit on your arse and do nothing??

a lot of these workers are being exploited because of their hard work ethic and the fact they are willing to work which is more than can be said for some!

iv done the worst jobs for the lowest of pay because i dont want to be a sponger and yes i live in a council house and what i pay the rent for it i do the repairs to it

there is such a thing as they working poor and the clever unemployed.

..and the same could be said for many Brits working abroad (Im thinking in the oil & construction industries in the Middle East) who send their income back to the UK too, it cuts both ways.

"doesnt anyone think the programme makers had a hidden agenda.....look at the bigger picture and see what is selectively put thru that box you all have in the corner of your lounges.....my tuppence worth....research whay you are watching and what is given the go ahead to out on air and what programmes have been made and are not allowed.....its interesting..trust me "

TV is for entertainment, no matter what we watch, I dont think a 2 day work experience is offering anything other than a soundbite of anything at all. The Brit workers may have slotted in quite happily after a week of adjustment, on the other hand those that did well might have folded after a month./it wasnt a properly research based outcome.

The fact is that the programme was conceived because migrant workers are doing jobs in certain industries, if there were British people available/wanting to do it there wouldnt have been a programme to be made at all.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Had our garden landscaped last autumn, it was to be a fairly basic job with a wooden gazeebo being erected for a hot tub, 15x12 patio being laid and a summerhouse being repaired and new doors fitted, along with Thirty feet of ballistrade walling.

Two different locally renowned builders completely cocked the job up, in total we wasted Five Thousand pounds on two bunches of clowns, all supposedly qualified and all sorts of federation logos on their vans. We sacked one lot only to be replaced with the Devon version of the Chuckle Brothers.

In the end we were pointed in the direction of a team of Slovakian landscapers, without any fuss they came in and sorted out our garden, the work was of a brilliant standard and they blew this whole fable of British builders being best clean out of the water.

My brother is one of those who has had his own business a fully registered, qualified, insured one of twenty years and more, undercut by eastern european workers willing to do it on the cheap...what's the point of my brother training and paying youngsters now?

He's on the skids because of this and is now retraining alongside his son to do computer work.

Torquay

Maybe, just maybe, some British tradesmen are now paying for years of over charging clients?

Just about to have a pair of small central heating radiators (already purchased by us) fitted to a new conservatory.

We had three quotes ranging between Two hundred pounds and an amazing Five hundred and Fifty pounds.

All for a single days work which comprises of extending existing pipes from a kitchen through a wall and into a newly constructed conservatory, with the fitting of the two radiators.

Last year we had to call out a locksmith through our insurance company when our front door lock was broken, when the locksmith got to ours he offered to put an extra hundred pounds on the bill and split it with us Fifty pounds each.

We declined but the insurance company still got a bill for Three hundred and Seventy pounds....all for a lock that cost Forty pounds and took half an hour to remove/fit.

Is it any wonder with such examples of 'rip off Britain' that europeans are cleaning up?

The current unskilled UK youths of which there there are 1 million, less benefits and they pay tax, and need less council and government funded support, win win to me....

"Interesting, the issue of immigration is not as simple as most people think, the country needs immigrants more than they need the country. In the long run, its the Country that benefits. "

Please elaborate, maybe along the lines of how many, what skill set, contoled or open door... thanks

Wasn't that due to the building boom and a shortage of building skills...

"

"Crop picking is seasonal work... there is only a limited time span to harvest it, so long hours are the way it is.... and more importantly it's the way it's always been.

In fact kids use to be kept out of school and everyone worked as long as there was light.

"

Indeed one of the very reason the school summer hols are so long, for this very reason...

Torquay

That and the fact that teachers like long lazy holidays....

Anyway, lets get back to the purpose of the site, any want to get naked and play?

Torquay

Only if you are a teacher....with promises of a lovely summer (long) holiday.

I'm not a teacher, but do teach somethings

Is that good enough

if you people who love immigration lived where we do you might have a different opinion. what used to be a nice area is becoming a ghetto due to the amount of foreigners who have moved in over the last few years, everyone is trying to move out but the house prices have plummeted so its catch 22.

"if you people who love immigration lived where we do you might have a different opinion. what used to be a nice area is becoming a ghetto due to the amount of foreigners who have moved in over the last few years, everyone is trying to move out but the house prices have plummeted so its catch 22."

What does this thread have to do with 'loving immigrants'? We're chatting about the merits of immigrants doing jobs, that have to be done, that the British wont do.

bump

I watched this programme and found it rather sad. How stupid would you have to be to take part in a programme about migrant workers taking jobs from British workers, be given the opportunity to prove it and not even turn up for work!

One man turned up late as his son was "ill" and had an attitude. This amoungst people who had left their families behind to work back breaking hours for peanuts! The same idiot struggled with the name "Ivan", he'd obviously struggle with a name with more than two sylables like "Stephanie"!!

The programme makers probably had their own agenda but apart from the Indian restaurant owner the rest were WHITE, ENGLISH business owners who weren't impressed with their own lazy, work shy people and stated they'd be out of business if they were to rely on locals!

Damming indictment indeed!

Err perhaps the 2.5 million unemployed may be made to do something about that xx

Err perhaps the 2.5 million unemployed may be made to do something about that xx "

Did you see the programme swingmates? The migrants are there because the British unemployed dont want these jobs, and even if they do they dont work at the same pace as the East Europeans.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I would implore anyone who didn't watch the program to go to the BBC Iplayer and watch it.... it will be there till wednesday night...

I have to say that i was quite embarrassed watching this programme.

Embarrassed because i was, as a country man/woman, related to these so called british workers.

They moaned and moaned about not having the chance to do these jobs and when had the opportunity failed miserably.

I will blow my own trumpet in this case and say that as a single mom and having a disability which restricted my choices in work...Have worked all my life. Only on one occasion have i had to ask for help.

I have through hard work and sheer luck mnanged to keep my home for 30yrs and bring up my son with no problems .

I am proud of that fact alone.

These folk have nothing to be proud of in my eyes.

the system to provide a basic safety net has backfired terribly. some people are desperate to work other avoid it like the pain of death!

iv worked the shittiest of jobs to provide for me and kiddo and heard classic excuses for people not to work from sheer laziness to excuses that must have taken days to make up!

pride makes me take these jobs no matter how mind numbingly borin or overskilled i am.

the majority complaining about immigrant workers are the ones who think its above them to wait tables, or clean or fruit pick.

how many brits went to spain or that to do jobs but they no allowed to complain because we are british we can do what we want!!!

" how many brits went to spain or that to do jobs but they no allowed to complain because we are british we can do what we want!!! "
That's true we celebrate the mobility of labour when it suits us but not when people come here to work-there are hundreds of thousands of Brits working/living abroad.

It was ironic that the unemployed carpenter who was quite anti migrant labour had worked abroad for several years himself! Having said that it was obvious he was a hard worker and got extra work after the film ended..so thumbs up to him.

Dont want to vilify the genuine unemployed, they deserve all the assistance they can get, but what this programme did show was that these immigrants come here to work, and work hard, doing jobs we are reluctant to, many industries would fail without them.

The narrator also said they were generally well educated, but didnt mind doing menial jobs to feed themselves and their families, I cant imagine the average British graduate getting down and dirty and picking 1/4 ton of asparagus in one day on his own!

Err perhaps the 2.5 million unemployed may be made to do something about that xx

Did you see the programme swingmates? The migrants are there because the British unemployed dont want these jobs, and even if they do they dont work at the same pace as the East Europeans."

No i dint see it

However i agree with you point that a lot of British unemployed dont want the jobs

The solution to that is simple take away their benefits and force them to work that way

Controversial of course but i would personally clean the streets with a tooth brush before being unemployed and a drain on society

And before anyone thinks otherwise i realise that some people genuinely cannot work

But the ones that can should be made to

The world owes no one a living xx

"

No i dint see it "

You should really watch it, is enlightening and available on BBC iPlayer.

"

The solution to that is simple take away their benefits and force them to work that way"

It's a tempting conclusion isnt it, but the people who were shown as feckless in the programme were defensive and aggressive when challenged, I wouldnt want to be around them in a working environment, employers need people who are well motivated, and those forced to work because their benefits are removed are unlikely to be.

Another point to consider is that in countries where there is no benefits system, low grade crime tends to be high.

Did you see the programme swingmates? The migrants are there because the British unemployed dont want these jobs, and even if they do they dont work at the same pace as the East Europeans.

No i dint see it

However i agree with you point that a lot of British unemployed dont want the jobs

The solution to that is simple take away their benefits and force them to work that way

Controversial of course but i would personally clean the streets with a tooth brush before being unemployed and a drain on society

And before anyone thinks otherwise i realise that some people genuinely cannot work

But the ones that can should be made to

The world owes no one a living xx"

You're missing the point a bit: it was their lackadasical attitude to work that was most revealing. If these people didn't have benefits and had to do the work they claimed the migrants were taking from them the companies would go bust!

They were too thick/lazy to count to 15 I think it was: the amount of potatoes per bag. They put less in and all the bags had to be recounted losing an hour production time. They thought the supervisor was making much ado about nothing and were miffed they were blamed. When they were told its the first time it had ever happened they claimed the line had been speeded up, when in reality it had been slowed down for them!

That's just one example. You can't motivate lazy people with no ambition and I have a feeling people portrayed on the problem would rather turn to crime than do a honest days work: then bitch about the migrants who get up and get on with it!

Well i for one would applaud anyone from any country who was here legally and willing to do anything to earn a living.

They are the ones putting in the pot and not taking from the system.

Yes there are quite alot who are ripping the system off but who is at fault for allowing that to happen.

If our benefit system is so easy to manipulate then it needs looking at.

If people refuse to work and are able...stop their benefits.

simples .

luton

the programme makers have just admited that the english guys who appeared on the show were CHERRY PICKED because they were a bit slow on the uptake , and if they had picked average hard workers that might have been equal to or better than the immigrants it would have caused racial disharmony , and thats a fact

it appears we were all conned !!!!!!!!!

"the programme makers have just admited that the english guys who appeared on the show were CHERRY PICKED because they were a bit slow on the uptake , and if they had picked average hard workers that might have been equal to or better than the immigrants it would have caused racial disharmony , and thats a fact

it appears we were all conned !!!!!!!!!"

No, I had my doubts as I found it hard to believe people would appear on a programme like that and prove the point Brits are lazy and prefer benefits to working! That said, doesn't alter the fact that the employers stated if they were to rely on the locals they'd go out of business! I suppose they were lying too and only looking to employ cheap labour to boost their profits!

luton

"the programme makers have just admited that the english guys who appeared on the show were CHERRY PICKED because they were a bit slow on the uptake , and if they had picked average hard workers that might have been equal to or better than the immigrants it would have caused racial disharmony , and thats a fact

it appears we were all conned !!!!!!!!!

No, I had my doubts as I found it hard to believe people would appear on a programme like that and prove the point Brits are lazy and prefer benefits to working! That said, doesn't alter the fact that the employers stated if they were to rely on the locals they'd go out of business! I suppose they were lying too and only looking to employ cheap labour to boost their profits! "

yes i think you are correct , the local farmers do not want to employ english people that want reasonable working conditions , reasonable health and safety , reasonable pay , and mayby a 10 hour working day , things that the working class have fought for over the last 100 years

the immigrants suit them very well as they work hard for low pay without complaint , and i bet if they were told it was a condition of employment would agree that the female immigrants could not vote and there children have to climb up chimemys and work in sweat shops like in victorian , and dickensian times gone by

they suit the farmers very well indeed

if english locals were employed im sure a bag of potatoes would go from £1 . 25 to £ 1 . 35

why should we pay that when we can exployt immigrants , and get them to break there backs for a crust of bread

having travelled extensively all over the world i would recomend we import some people from china , it might seem suprising but those who work the fields there in some cases earn only 20p a day

the bag of potatoes then would only be £ 1 . 05

Torquay

EU workers working on farms in the UK have the same rights as British workers actually....they are covered by the same minimum wage regulations, the same health and safety regulations, the same maximum working hours without a break etc.

No cheaper or less regulations when employing a Polish bean picker then a British bean picker....

luton

"EU workers working on farms in the UK have the same rights as British workers actually....they are covered by the same minimum wage regulations, the same health and safety regulations, the same maximum working hours without a break etc.

No cheaper or less regulations when employing a Polish bean picker then a British bean picker...."

that may well be the case , but the polish bean picker is very unlikely to complain about a safety guard missing off a machine etc etc

im glad that i am not a bean picker

im fact i would rather knock a coppers hat off and be put in a cell with 3 square meals a day rather than do 12 hours a day ................ day after day after day , in a potatoe packing factory on minimum wage

i have done 12 hour shifts in my youth and i would never do them again

the imigrants are welcome to them , and everyone that is employed in any field in the UK will be effected by this starting point on the wage scale , and expectancy of work productivity

the bus drivers pay will diminish , as will the teacher , bank manager , grafic designer , corporate managing director and so on

just wait and see

Torquay

Don't get your drift....what starting point on the wage scale?

luton

"Don't get your drift....what starting point on the wage scale?"

the starting point is of course minimum wage

but with the added dissadvantage that one is expected to work like a race horse

by that i mean , its one thing being on minimum wage and working as a lolypop lady and every 10 minutes stoping the traffic and watching folk over the road

and another to be on minimum wage and say being a hod carrier , or indeed a bean picker ............ that would lose there job if found to be easing off working flat out all the time

it is not just about the wage , but more to do with the pace of work , or work load ie productivity

if you look at it in reverse and lets say a bus driver is on £800 a week , then the bean picker would expect say £500 a week as its unskilled

so as the bean pickers are working there butts off for minimum wage , the bus driver can only expect a little more , so on and so forth

in any event the immigrants are not only here to pick beans

in luton the bank tellers , shop managers , easy jet airline stewards etc etc are also polish imigrants

there not just here to pick beans my friend

lets say for example you are an insurance consultant on £30 , 000 per anum ........... one day there will be a polish person working in your team

they will not stop for lunch , get in early , and stay late

then because they are so productive they will need one less on the team

and guess who they will get rid of

you might end up picking beans yourself then

but i have a funny idea youll do what i would and knock a coppers hat off

i hope everyone who has commented actually votes in the next election!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

the immigration laws are wrong,not the immigrants.who wouldnt take advantage, to have a better life

Torquay

"i hope everyone who has commented actually votes in the next election! "

You can vote for any of the three main parties and it won't make any difference, we are members of the EU which allows for free movement within the EU for all full member countries.

Don't let any politician trick you into believing anything else....

luton

"the immigration laws are wrong,not the immigrants.who wouldnt take advantage, to have a better life"

i agree entirely , i take my hat off to those that work in the appauling conditions that they do

to be exact its not the conditions , someone has to do the mundane or dirty work , but why should they have to do it for 12 hours !

one of the thrusts i have been saying in this thread is my sympathy for the immigrants

its one thing being daft enough to work that hard , but another the farmers exployting then

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

What i have never understood about ayslum seekers is, why travel have way around the world to come to Britain to claim ayslum? Surely you would go to the first 'safe' country you could get to?.

penzance

"What i have never understood about ayslum seekers is, why travel have way around the world to come to Britain to claim ayslum? Surely you would go to the first 'safe' country you could get to?.

"

Well international law does state that they should claim immunity in the 1st country they get to thats safe. Some do fly here so I guess we're the 1st country for them

"It is an utter fallacy promoted by the likes of fascist organisations such as the BNP that immigrants take the jobs of the local population.

Immigrants who come to this country generally have a strong work ethic and have left dire circumstances in their own countries to try to work hard and improve the quality of life for themselves and their families. They will often take on crappy jobs that nobody local will take on for low wages and work bloody hard. And exactly the same applies to local people with a strong work ethic.

And there are indigenous and immigrant people who are lazy arses too. But in times of economic hardship, it is easy to blame any minority group for the woes of the majority. Irish, Indians, Jamaicans, Eastern Europeans at various times over the last 100 years in this country.

And the danger of doing this? Look at what happened to the Jews in Nazi Germany...........

"

With the exception of the last line (Godwin's Law, you lose! ) I agree wholeheartedly with this post. I dare say there will be a few folk on here (and posting in this very thread) who are descended from immigrants.

Say for talking's sake, all 'immigrants' buggered back orf 'ome tomorrow, as the Sun/Mail/Express would wish. Would it cure the unemployment problems we have in the UK in one fell swoop? Would it fook.

There's so many UK-born & bred folk who simply can't be arsed doing an honest days work, when they can get the lifestyle they want either by scrounging from their local authority, or by stealing from others.

Blaming asylum seekers/immigration is the lazy option. The UK would grind to a halt if every non UK born & bred citizen was booted out tomorrow. Take the NHS for a start, I'd imagine they're the public service with the largest % of immigrant workers, do we have a stream of white 'indigenous' (I'm not a fan of that term) UK doctors/nurses begging for a job at present?

luton

"Whos watching and what do you think. Close the borders.Our country needs to be able to breath again."

we still cant get away from the FACT that the english guys that appeared in this proggrame were CHERRY PICKED by the people that made the proggrame

( on there admision )

it would be like picking an english guy who could not get a hard on , to appear in a porn film

it was just not fair , and i would go as far as to say it was racialy prejudise

why dont they have a proggrame about people from pakistan trying to be brick layers ............ THEY WONT DO IT

because there would be outrage

but it is ok to make the english look like ass holes as no one will complain

"

but it is ok to make the english look like ass holes as no one will complain "

They may have been selected... but they all said they were desperate to find a job, any job.... and didn't have to try that hard to make them look like arseholes did they... the arseholes managed that for themselves.

But on the other hand,the greater proportion of many imigrants wages are sent straight back to the country they came from,not recirculated into our economy.

They pay taxes, pay rent, pay council tax and buy food and clothes... they just don't always bank the spare cash."

Pay rent thats a laff when theres 12 or more living in a room ffs

They pay taxes, pay rent, pay council tax and buy food and clothes... they just don't always bank the spare cash.Pay rent thats a laff when theres 12 or more living in a room ffs"

Yeah that's right - they all live 12 to a room don't they

Actually , so what if some do share rooms with as many other they can fit in there? The landlord still get's paid and allows it. If they want to give up their privacy to save money why is that so bad?

"Actually , so what if some do share rooms with as many other they can fit in there? The landlord still get's paid and allows it. If they want to give up their privacy to save money why is that so bad?

"

yeh the same as landlords know people are opening cannabis plantations in there propertys,and mainly immigrants

"Actually , so what if some do share rooms with as many other they can fit in there? The landlord still get's paid and allows it. If they want to give up their privacy to save money why is that so bad?

yeh the same as landlords know people are opening cannabis plantations in there propertys,and mainly immigrants"

is that before or after they've done a 12 hr shift at the packing factory?

I'm surpised they have room for the plants with 12 sharing a room.

yeh the same as landlords know people are opening cannabis plantations in there propertys,and mainly immigrants

is that before or after they've done a 12 hr shift at the packing factory? "

Not really bothered if they wanna work for peanuts let them

"yeh the same as landlords know people are opening cannabis plantations in there propertys,and mainly immigrants"

LOL, how would you know??!

"I'm surpised they have room for the plants with 12 sharing a room."

They must all sleep standing up in plants pots!

"yeh the same as landlords know people are opening cannabis plantations in there propertys,and mainly immigrants

LOL, how would you know??! "

easy 4 round our way been done in the last 6 months and getting more each day according to the press and its nationwide

"Whos watching and what do you think. Close the borders.Our country needs to be able to breath again.

we still cant get away from the FACT that the english guys that appeared in this proggrame were CHERRY PICKED by the people that made the proggrame

( on there admision )

it would be like picking an english guy who could not get a hard on , to appear in a porn film

why dont they have a proggrame about people from pakistan trying to be brick layers ............ THEY WONT DO IT

but it is ok to make the english look like ass holes as no one will complain "

The participants may well have been picked for 'entertainment value', but the BBC didn't create migrant labour in Wisbech, the demand for workers did, and sadly it wasn't the kind of work the locals wanted to do, if it was employers would have recruited locally in the first place and the Eastern Europeans frozen out.

"yeh the same as landlords know people are opening cannabis plantations in there propertys,and mainly immigrants

LOL, how would you know??! easy 4 round our way been done in the last 6 months and getting more each day according to the press and its nationwide"

I haven't seen it as a problem widely reported in the press, locally or nationwide, nor have I seen that it's something immigrants mainly engage in.

If you live in an area that's predominantly immigrants then I guess, there'll be a higher proportion of crime being committed by members of those communities. Likewise I'm sure the cannabis growers of Cornwall are mainly home grown Brits!

well there been 6 cannabis farms busted round here over the last few months and shock horror sit down sit your daily mail down and brace yourself................ it was all british born white locals

found it funny personally they were caught because the roofs didnt have frost or snow them durin the bad weather lol xx

they use the beds in shifts while the guys are out working during the day then swap when the night shift goes out. I wonder what happens weekends.

well you would moan if they all got a council house!!

so what if they sleepin 12 to a house big deal at least they payin for the room.

i see it as pretty cruel no privacy nowhere to sleep no nothing but if people choose to live that way who are we to judge??

these people are being exploited in everyway possible and degraded and humilated. i can imagine the uproar if we told white british people they were sharing 12 a room would be a bloody uproar but its ok cause they not so they dont matter.

"well you would moan if they all got a council house!!"

Good point mzn!

Torquay

LOL, how would you know??! easy 4 round our way been done in the last 6 months and getting more each day according to the press and its nationwide

I haven't seen it as a problem widely reported in the press, locally or nationwide, nor have I seen that it's something immigrants mainly engage in.

If you live in an area that's predominantly immigrants then I guess, there'll be a higher proportion of crime being committed by members of those communities. Likewise I'm sure the cannabis growers of Cornwall are mainly home grown Brits!"

Funnily enough the recent spate of cannabis farms being found in rented houses down this way has shown that almost all have been Vietnamese gangs...

crime poverty over crowding congestion all imports we don't want or need

Imigrants pay our pensions ? In the main they are unskilled low payed therefore pay little tax , they an their families need educating health care pensions family credits get real people ! labour have also imported 3million votes since they have been in power

Having said that all this is the fault of lying theiving scum called politicans ! They care more about lining their own pockets rather than what is best for this country!

We will have at least 1 maybe 2 generation of all races in this country that suffer because of Blair , Brown and their cronnies

The young ileducated and unemployed pensioners working till they drop !

yes lets keep the immigrants coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"

The young ileducated and unemployed pensioners working till they drop !

yes lets keep the immigrants coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"

We have to... to balance the numbers that are leaving. And it is largely the ones who are leaving who paid into the system far more than they were allowed to take out.

"Whos watching and what do you think. Close the borders.Our country needs to be able to breath again.

( on there admision )

but it is ok to make the english look like ass holes as no one will complain

The participants may well have been picked for 'entertainment value', but the BBC didn't create migrant labour in Wisbech, the demand for workers did, and sadly it wasn't the kind of work the locals wanted to do, if it was employers would have recruited locally in the first place and the Eastern Europeans frozen out."

Exactly!!

The BBC didn't use people from Care in the Community to take part in this, but people claiming to be desperate to find work: how hard could it have been whilst the cameras were rolling to make an effort?!!

It's like the fat family who claimed to want to lose weight and couldn't stop scoffing in front of the cameras!!

"Imigrants pay our pensions ? In the main they are unskilled low payed therefore pay little tax , they an their families need educating health care pensions family credits get real people"

Actually that isn't exactly true, immigrants tend to be over represented in the highly skilled groups and the lower skilled ones, for example if you've ever visited an NHS facility you will have noticed the high level of immigrant staff they employ, both at consultant doctor level and the people that do the cleaning.

This is an extract from a recent Lords report on immigration:

"30. The submission from the Bank of England showed that, although employed

across all occupations, immigrants are concentrated at the high and low skill

end of the occupation distribution. The City of London illustrates this range of occupations, where immigrants are widely found among the staff of the restaurants serving financial executives, many of whom are also

immigrants. Overall, more foreign-born workers are in highly-skilled jobs

than the UK-born (49% vs 42%), with similar levels for elementary

occupations (12% vs 11%)."

LOL, how would you know??! easy 4 round our way been done in the last 6 months and getting more each day according to the press and its nationwide

If you live in an area that's predominantly immigrants then I guess, there'll be a higher proportion of crime being committed by members of those communities. Likewise I'm sure the cannabis growers of Cornwall are mainly home grown Brits!

Funnily enough the recent spate of cannabis farms being found in rented houses down this way has shown that almost all have been Vietnamese gangs...

I'm corrected! But I hope my point was well made, it isn't just immigrants who engage in crime :o)

"

There our tens if not hundreds of thousands of immigrants that are unemployed more than the total amount that work in the health service or the higher reaches of the financial services put together many will always be dependant on state aid , not their fault but still of little use to this country!

How do you know most leaving the country have paid more in?

Most that leave are short term residents students etc .

how is there any sense in still allowing immigration when we have millions of unemployed ? why not give the people of Britain a better education.This country is churning out a scrap heap of young with no prospects .

Throw all your statistics at me I come from Birmingham ,the inner city Small Heath Spark Brook etc are dire Alum Rock Has had signs put up at night no whites! There are........

Statistics, statistics and lies !100,000 Immigrants from Somalia arriving in Birmingham over the past few years Bringing what?

I say again we have imported .....Terror, poverty crime unemployment over crowding congestion and a lot of hate

I treat people as individuals and as i would wish to be treated but we have become Over populated millions of immigrants millions of illegall immigrants and tens of thousands of assylum seekers every year .

I say again if they pay our pensions why are the pensionable ages being lifted and who pays their pensions ?

I tried to make a joke of education earlier ,I'm sorry for that it is no joke ! As with the road system the health service and the funding of the armed forces ,education or should I say lack of education is a disgrace!

yeah blame the teachers they cant educate if the people being educated dont want to be educated!!!

you can take a camel to water but cant make it drink.

the problem with the education system is that it caters for the majority not the minority, a child struggling does tend to get left behind or take subjects they have no interest in.

the education system needs more vocational stuff in it so the ones not academically gifted can maybe start to learn a trade.

we have unemployed genuine unemployed then the heart lazy dole dwellers have will never have worked or have any great intention of working!!

put your daily mail down and see the bigger picture of society.

Bristol

If not for imigration, I would never have met my partner or had my beautiful kids.

As to the "they are less educated" the majority of Polish people I know, are far better educated than brits (without having the equivilent of several A levels, you would be lucky to get even a basic job in poland) add on the fact, they tend to work far harder and take any job offered, i'm glad to see them.

» Add a new message to this topic