FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 ?

Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Which is the best Option to go for ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hyllyphyllyMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Personally, I like Windows 8.

"Personally, I like Windows 8.

"

What makes it better than 7 and is it easy to use?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i have 7 on my laptop, V has 8, and we both prefer 7 lol.

8 is, apparently, designed for touch screen use, so is lacking as a normal OS

windows 7 by far

windows 8 is x box style

i have pc

not x box

"windows 7 by far

windows 8 is x box style

i have pc

not x box"

What do you think is inside an xbox?

"i have 7 on my laptop, V has 8, and we both prefer 7 lol.

8 is, apparently, designed for touch screen use, so is lacking as a normal OS"

Get 8.1 you get the best of both.

"i have 7 on my laptop, V has 8, and we both prefer 7 lol.

8 is, apparently, designed for touch screen use, so is lacking as a normal OS

Get 8.1 you get the best of both."

or, could just stick with what i have and let her carry on moaning about hers lol

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

I prefer windows 7. Have 8 on our new laptop and I find it really difficult to use.

"I prefer windows 7. Have 8 on our new laptop and I find it really difficult to use."

That's what I heard.

"windows 7 by far

windows 8 is x box style

i have pc

not x box

What do you think is inside an xbox? "

you don't no

If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ?

"windows 7 by far

windows 8 is x box style

i have pc

not x box"

Haha too true, agree on console and phone but not pc,

Stardock do a great spinning program for 8 called start8 gives the 7 start menu back

But as said 8 is better with touch but depends what they do with 8.1

"If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ? "
yes just ask the sales person to get it exchange

"windows 7 by far

windows 8 is x box style

i have pc

not x box

What do you think is inside an xbox? you don't no "

Its pretty clear you don't go google what "PC" stands for knowledge will do you the wonder of good.

"If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ? yes just ask the sales person to get it exchange "

You are showing lack of knowledge again! New pc's come with a single licence user thats non transferable thats why you can buy one for £300 not £350. The only way you will get 7 is to buy a licence at £70 plus.

"windows 7 by far

windows 8 is x box style

i have pc

not x box

Haha too true, agree on console and phone but not pc,

Stardock do a great spinning program for 8 called start8 gives the 7 start menu back

But as said 8 is better with touch but depends what they do with 8.1 "

Start8 is a pretty good addition and 8.1 beta is not a long way off. Its the best option as 8 is far more secure on line.

windows 7 hand down it is easy to use and work well unlike windows 8

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan  over a year ago

Glasgow West

I use 8 on both PC and laptop, and it is a much cleaner, leaner install, faster to boot up, and the "X Box" look is there, only if you want it. I prefer it to anything that has gone before.

[Removed by poster at 19/09/13 19:00:11]

"If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ? "

you have to pay for window 7 but yes it is not that hard to do at all.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've preferred 7, from trying them both and now use 7 almost all the time. You can emulate 7, and if you were buying, then cost and upgrade costs may also come into it.

"You are showing lack of knowledge again! New pc's come with a single licence user thats non transferable thats why you can buy one for £300 not £350. The only way you will get 7 is to buy a licence at £70 plus. "

Bit harsh, he may already have a key for 7, you can install 7 on an 8 machine but in most cases you will have to change a couple of settings in BIOS so it reads the hard drive correctly

""If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ? yes just ask the sales person to get it exchange

You are showing lack of knowledge again! New pc's come with a single licence user thats non transferable thats why you can buy one for £300 not £350. The only way you will get 7 is to buy a licence at £70 plus. "

Of course I'm showing lack of knowledge that's why I'm asking Doh !!!! Blimey "

Err it wasn't addressed to you!

""If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ? yes just ask the sales person to get it exchange

You are showing lack of knowledge again! New pc's come with a single licence user thats non transferable thats why you can buy one for £300 not £350. The only way you will get 7 is to buy a licence at £70 plus. "

Of course I'm showing lack of knowledge that's why I'm asking Doh !!!! Blimey

Err it wasn't addressed to you! "

was gonna post the same, but they deleted it when they realised their mistake.

no harm done

"You are showing lack of knowledge again! New pc's come with a single licence user thats non transferable thats why you can buy one for £300 not £350. The only way you will get 7 is to buy a licence at £70 plus.

Bit harsh, he may already have a key for 7, you can install 7 on an 8 machine but in most cases you will have to change a couple of settings in BIOS so it reads the hard drive correctly"

Not really if you are asking the salesman to install 7 is the salesman going to install an old version with a version they they don't sell or provide?

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

[Removed by poster at 19/09/13 19:05:55]

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan  over a year ago

Glasgow West

"If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ?

you have to pay for window 7 but yes it is not that hard to do at all. "

If you buy a laptop with 8 and decide to install 7, you might invalidate your warranty. Check first.

Err it wasn't addressed to you! "

Which is why I deleted it BUT I do think your being very harsh !!!

"You are showing lack of knowledge again! New pc's come with a single licence user thats non transferable thats why you can buy one for £300 not £350. The only way you will get 7 is to buy a licence at £70 plus.

Bit harsh, he may already have a key for 7, you can install 7 on an 8 machine but in most cases you will have to change a couple of settings in BIOS so it reads the hard drive correctly

Not really if you are asking the salesman to install 7 is the salesman going to install an old version with a version they they don't sell or provide?"

Window 8 is still very new. You can get and download all the drivers you for almost all new laptop of the makers website for free, for windows 7.

you only have to pay for the laptop and the windows 7 dvd. The rest is easy to do and free you can do it use self. x

was gonna post the same, but they deleted it when they realised their mistake.

no harm done"

I know but if you go into pc world give them your laptop and ask you to do the above they will. If you don't ask the coast then on return there may be a £100 bill or so. No harm done if they don't do it but it could be undue costly if they did.

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

John does all his editing on Windows 7 as its the best by far, Windows knew there was another balls up with Windows 8 & is fetching out 8.1.

Windows 8 is touch screen & aimed at the kids that can't read lol! with easy to push buttons, its a flop like Windows ME was so get Windows 7...

"If a new laptop comes with Windows 8 is it easy enough to take it off and put 7 on it ?

If you buy a laptop with 8 and decide to install 7, you might invalidate your warranty. Check first."

Thank you nice and polite x

Which is why I deleted it BUT I do think your being very harsh !!! "

Not really I am pointing out bad advice that if you took it as read could have cost you £70 or more.

If you buy a laptop with 8 and decide to install 7, you might invalidate your warranty. Check first.

Thank you nice and polite x "

Waqrranty do not cover softwear ever. Acer cover the hardwear not matter waht oS you have installed. The only time they will charge you is if the OS is the problme. Then they will tell you before the reload the OS the latop came with. So you cna have it sent back to you unrepaired for free.

Not really I am pointing out bad advice that if you took it as read could have cost you £70 or more."

Its more of a idea at the moment. Not ordered yet

Not really I am pointing out bad advice that if you took it as read could have cost you £70 or more.

Its more of a idea at the moment. Not ordered yet "

Then make sure if you do wait for 8.1 as its the best of both. OR you could wait till 8.1 is out and on the shelves and get one with 8 on discounted.

Not really if you are asking the salesman to install 7 is the salesman going to install an old version with a version they they don't sell or provide?"

Ok didn't realise you had quoted the salesman bit as well

But if you take it to a computer shop and they insist on selling you a key try someone else, most will be happy to install it on your key their revenue is in the labour not the software

pc world may not but support your local geek!

If buying now I.would recommend 8, its open to 8.1 as update and you are figure proofing yourself more, once they fix 8 and its more widely used 7 will start to fade out

"figure proofing"

pfft

future proofing

Not really if you are asking the salesman to install 7 is the salesman going to install an old version with a version they they don't sell or provide?

Ok didn't realise you had quoted the salesman bit as well

But if you take it to a computer shop and they insist on selling you a key try someone else, most will be happy to install it on your key their revenue is in the labour not the software

pc world may not but support your local geek!

If buying now I.would recommend 8, its open to 8.1 as update and you are figure proofing yourself more, once they fix 8 and its more widely used 7 will start to fade out"

How many people actually have a transferable licence?

Unless its a home build (then its often non legal) or they bought an upgrade for an only machine is nearly always non transferable and just because you have a key its not going to be any good for another machine. So giving this advice is just going to leave someone read faced when they go in and ask for it done and its not really good advice to give.

"I prefer windows 7. Have 8 on our new laptop and I find it really difficult to use."

us too

Took me a while to get used to 8. Can be annoying using a mousepad as it constantly changes windows on you

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Absolutely loathe and detest Windows 8, it's too different from preceeding versions, I can't find anything and I NEED windows explorer!! I'm going for 7 with my new computer.

"

How many people actually have a transferable licence?

Unless its a home build (then its often non legal) or they bought an upgrade for an only machine is nearly always non transferable and just because you have a key its not going to be any good for another machine. So giving this advice is just going to leave someone read faced when they go in and ask for it done and its not really good advice to give. "

if you are unfortunate enough to have an unusable key then you have lost nothing in asking, saved 70 if it works,

my post assumes they have a wroking key, its a dead subject anyway nobody is trying to get it done, its a new purchase,

defo 8 free update to 8.1 in oct and they are bringing the start menu back, tail a little bit between their legs and eating humble pie as they do it as well i hope

"Then make sure if you do wait for 8.1 as its the best of both. OR you could wait till 8.1 is out and on the shelves and get one with 8 on discounted. "

You are showing lack of knowledge again, lol

8.1 is being released in oct as free update, so there will be no discounted 8 laptops as they are all upgradable to 8.1

Got high hopes for 8.1, needs to be a return to a working desktop but keeping some of 8 cool things

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

"

8.1 is being released in oct as free update, so there will be no discounted 8 laptops as they are all upgradable to 8.1

Got high hopes for 8.1, needs to be a return to a working desktop but keeping some of 8 cool things"

October 18th as a free update. It will also enable you to boot in to something very similar to the Win7 desktop every time but with some new bits that once your used to them make it a pretty smooth experience. Buy after the 18th with it pre-installed.

By *oxerjoshleeMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

I don't like windows 8 but that's because I'm so used to windows 7. Go for windows 8 tho, it's the future

"Absolutely loathe and detest Windows 8, it's too different from preceeding versions, I can't find anything and I NEED windows explorer!! I'm going for 7 with my new computer."

Most new ones seem to be coming with windows 8 though

"Then make sure if you do wait for 8.1 as its the best of both. OR you could wait till 8.1 is out and on the shelves and get one with 8 on discounted.

You are showing lack of knowledge again, lol

Got high hopes for 8.1, needs to be a return to a working desktop but keeping some of 8 cool things"

Oh right so mr ave consumer who wants his laptop straight out of the box is going to choose 8 over 8.1? Wrong! when windows 8 came out they were giving free upgrades to anyone who had bought 8 in the last few months of 7. Were windows 7 with free upgrades sold at the same price or not? Well FYI they were all being discounted at anything between £30 and £80. Why well Mr ave needed an intensive to buy an old operation system as the new one is seen as better. So lack of knowledge? Thats your badge dude I was speaking from knowledge as I and a few other people I know bought laptops then at a discounted rate. I got a nice Asus for £420 instead of the £499 for the same spec machine with 8 on.

Fair point that mate, agree the 8.1 pre installs will be more popular so shift the 8 stock,

Prefer Win 7 against Win8, but all new laptops etc are coming with Win8

But all you need to do is download and install Classic Shell, and you have Win8 acting like Win7. Sorted!

And there's no need to wait for Win8.1 it's to be available as a free download.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I prefer 8, 7 is ok though, I use both.

By *p_25Man  over a year ago

Wembley

7 is far better and easier to use

» Add a new message to this topic