FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Inclusiveness...

Inclusiveness...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *r.SJ OP   Man 10 weeks ago

Wellingborough

I'm all up for being inclusive, am empathetic and compassionate as well but...

A blind Barbie?

Now with barbie being an inanimate object, the toy isn't fussed if it is blind but for the children who can't see (and/or adults with a certain disposition and liking for such things) if they can't see the toy, why does it matter if it's blind and that being said, how would anyone know anyway? Other than maybe some dark glasses? Most blind people I've know, come across don't look any different to you or I.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 10 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

Not all blindness is complete blindness.

Not only blind children will play with a blind barbie.

If it has kids consider accommodations in their play that's probably a good thing for empathy.

By *heGateKeeperMan 10 weeks ago

Stratford

Inclined to disagree myself and im all for inclusiveness in as many aspects of life as possible.

Saying that it doesn’t matter because they can’t even see it is mad

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

My first thoughts are this.....

A blind child would not have to pretend that one of their toys were blind. Nor would they have to 'imagine' each day that they are together that the toy has sight and is in some way more capable than they are.

A sightless toy would enable the child to empathise with that toy's lack of sight and enable them to place themselves in scenarios where they can work through problems together

It could give the child a sense of helping others instead of being the one that is always helped by others and therefore feeling in some way 'less' than others......

This could help build the child's self esteem and confidence.

Those are just my first thoughts.

Im sure there are a myriad of other reasons for this fantastic idea

By *midnight-Woman 10 weeks ago

Maybe she has braille or special textures that are more meaningful to a blind child... Presumably she comes with a cane, glasses maybe and a dog option - so the child will resonate with what she feels

I think its great that there is an option - if nothing else it raises awareness, which is always a good thing

By *midnight-Woman 10 weeks ago

"My first thoughts are this.....

A blind child would not have to pretend that one of their toys were blind. Nor would they have to 'imagine' each day that they are together that the toy has sight and is in some way more capable than they are.

A sightless toy would enable the child to empathise with that toy's lack of sight and enable them to place themselves in scenarios where they can work through problems together

It could give the child a sense of helping others instead of being the one that is always helped by others and therefore feeling in some way 'less' than others......

This could help build the child's self esteem and confidence.

Those are just my first thoughts.

Im sure there are a myriad of other reasons for this fantastic idea"

Granny you said this brilliantly

By *ickshawedCouple 10 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

The article I read about it said the clothes are different fabrics, more tactile and easier to undo. It's not just the cane.

Plus a toy isn't just for a child with the same condition. Anyone can buy and play with it. If it leads to more children accepting that people are different then that's great.

By *r John WickMan 10 weeks ago

The Continental

Good idea.

By *izandpaulCouple 10 weeks ago

merseyside

I've no idea.

I don't know any blind children or children who have major sight issues.

I would be very interested to hear what a blind child would actually think about a blind doll.

By *heGateKeeperMan 10 weeks ago

Stratford

@Granny-Crumpet, I rarely find myself agreeing with you but you nailed it

By *obilebottomMan 10 weeks ago

All over

Anything that promotes inclusivity and helps and encourages people, including children, to undetstand and celebrate diversity, can only be a good thing

By *icecouple561Couple 10 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't think you can underestimate the benefits of having toys like this that are like you. In a world where you're different to be able to feel that you're not is a game changer

By *r.SJ OP   Man 10 weeks ago

Wellingborough

Oops... Fail

I certainly agree with all the above and that any inclusivity has to be a good thing. Being part of this lifestyle and the judgment received from being in it, let alone before being labelled as bi etc. I'm sure it's something we can all relate to, especially after the like of swingfest and the backlash on social media etc from those more narrow minded.

The original post though was meant as jest and dark humour. I shall now though go and disappear back into my corner.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 10 weeks ago

Central

Anything that helps to build empathy for the blind is definitely good. I see no good reason not to have a blind Barbie. Being blind is a very isolating experience and if it helps to reduce that, it's excellent

By *naswingdressWoman 10 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's wonderful that children can see themselves represented in cultural icons. It sets them - and their peers - up for a hopefully brighter future of inclusion.

By *bi HaiveMan 10 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Pretty sure they released a barbie in a wheelchair at one point, despite it being a doll that can't walk.

It's a means of teaching about conditions that affect others.

Not all disabilities are visible don't forget. Children learning that at a young age can o my be a plus.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 10 weeks ago

Cumbria

It’s a fantastic idea, we hear often from disabled people, or people from minorities, how much it means to them to have role models in the media etc. This is a really positive use of a massive brand.

By (user no longer on site) 10 weeks ago

I don’t know any blind children but do know of blind adults who have children in their life. The children have only ever experienced the blind adults as an unsighted individual but they (the adults) were not born blind. The children are empathetic, helpful, can articulate with words and narrate situations, and surroundings, go out of their way to make sure areas are free of obstructions, and do this all without ever being taught to do this. I doubt they would have picked up these skills without having the close experience of a blind individual in their lives.

The adults live a life as if they were sighted thanks to blind aids, and assistive devices. They even have access to Children’s books in braille to read to the children.

Blind dolls, for children such as these, could be an amazing way for them to share and model to their peers how to be inclusive.

One of the many things we, all, immediately think when we see a person with disabilities is that they are less able. This many times leads to us jumping in and helping, when they otherwise don’t need our help or we are doing anything but helping. For example, with blind people, grabbing them by the hand when guiding them is the worst way to help them but so many try to help this way. Dolls perhaps through play could teach children how to better help.

By *naswingdressWoman 10 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I don’t know any blind children but do know of blind adults who have children in their life. The children have only ever experienced the blind adults as an unsighted individual but they (the adults) were not born blind. The children are empathetic, helpful, can articulate with words and narrate situations, and surroundings, go out of their way to make sure areas are free of obstructions, and do this all without ever being taught to do this. I doubt they would have picked up these skills without having the close experience of a blind individual in their lives.

The adults live a life as if they were sighted thanks to blind aids, and assistive devices. They even have access to Children’s books in braille to read to the children.

Blind dolls, for children such as these, could be an amazing way for them to share and model to their peers how to be inclusive.

One of the many things we, all, immediately think when we see a person with disabilities is that they are less able. This many times leads to us jumping in and helping, when they otherwise don’t need our help or we are doing anything but helping. For example, with blind people, grabbing them by the hand when guiding them is the worst way to help them but so many try to help this way. Dolls perhaps through play could teach children how to better help.

"

I love this

By *asterMeliodasMan 10 weeks ago

Near Keith

"I don’t know any blind children but do know of blind adults who have children in their life. The children have only ever experienced the blind adults as an unsighted individual but they (the adults) were not born blind. The children are empathetic, helpful, can articulate with words and narrate situations, and surroundings, go out of their way to make sure areas are free of obstructions, and do this all without ever being taught to do this. I doubt they would have picked up these skills without having the close experience of a blind individual in their lives.

"

Totally agree with this. People can be so bad for just grabbing my wife's wheelchair and moving it without asking her.

By *agatoXXXMan 10 weeks ago

Mordor

"Not all blindness is complete blindness.

Not only blind children will play with a blind barbie.

If it has kids consider accommodations in their play that's probably a good thing for empathy."

This. This says it all.

There is already a deaf Barbie, and a disabled Barbie in a wheelchair, both of which allow children with those conditions to feel accepted and included, despite the fact that plastic dolls already can't hear, or walk.

The more representation children with disabilities have, especially with a high profile doll like Barbie, the better, to help instill confidence to live life to the full.

» Add a new message to this topic