FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > A Non Sexual Question

A Non Sexual Question

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ensuallover1000 OP   Man 11 weeks ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Good folks:

When commencing a new series and if it’s not immediately gripping your attention, how long do you give it before giving up and abandoning it?

A few minutes?

An episode?

Two?

Or do you steadfastly brave on until the very end of the series?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ornLordMan 11 weeks ago

Wiltshire and London

Lots of moving parts there - for one, it depends how long the series is.

If it's short, there's more chance that I'll keep on with it, but there's no point persevering with something that's going to chew up lots of time.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 11 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

Depends on what I'm not keen on.

Humour, tone and concept entirely wrong for me? Minutes at best.

Has some interesting concepts but just isn't quite hitting the mark? Give it a few episodes. Maybe a season if it's come as a direct recommendation from someone who knows me.

By (user no longer on site) 11 weeks ago

Two episodes if someone recommended it. One if I found it myself.

I tried the boys, and I didn’t like it until a friend said you need to continue watching it.

I tried again, and I’m now up-to-date with all the series

By *cottish guy 555Man 11 weeks ago

London

I gave the new rebus series a couple of episodes. I thought it was going down predictable routes and the family struggling was a bit of a downer so gave up.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 11 weeks ago

somewhere

We tried handmaids tale, we watched a total of 4 episodes but was told "oh you got to get past the first season"...not on your nelly am I sitting there watching paint dry for how many hours for it to get "good"

I would say two episodes max and even that's pushing it for us.

By *cottish guy 555Man 11 weeks ago

London

"Two episodes if someone recommended it. One if I found it myself.

I tried the boys, and I didn’t like it until a friend said you need to continue watching it.

I tried again, and I’m now up-to-date with all the series "

The boys is fabulous. Not up to the standard of the comics, but such fun.

By *icecouple561Couple 11 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Max two episodes. Usually one

By *ootyfruityCouple 11 weeks ago

andover

Usually about 3 episodes, then another couple if we’re not sure

By *eordieJeansCouple 11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Unless I’ve been assured it gets better I usually give up after 2 episodes. GoT, The Office US and Parks and Rec are the only things I’ve hated but stuck with and started to enjoy.

By *asterMeliodasMan 11 weeks ago

Near Keith

I'll usually give it at least 2 episodes to grab me, possibly a third if I'm not actively disliking it but haven't made my mind up yet.

10minutes

By *ora the explorerWoman 11 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

A few minutes.

By *he Silver FuxMan 11 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

I give it a couple of episodes at least - The Wire was like that… not a great pilot but once the actors got used to working together, the writers got feedback and storylines tighter it was fantastic.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 11 weeks ago

Leeds

Usually 2 episodes but if it's really bad I'll just turn it off immediately, sometimes you can just tell it's not for you.

Mrs

By *ookie46Woman 11 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Around 30 minutes

By *eliWoman 11 weeks ago

One episode max. Ideally not the pilot. I hated It's Always Sunny at first but after the third episode I was sold. That's rare though.

By *arkSovereignMan 11 weeks ago

Lancashire

I tend to try and see a series through, especially if its one that is highly rated and has been recommended. For instance breaking bad, the first season/two seasons were not exactly gripping but it was well worth it in the end. Thats my mindset

By *he love catsCouple 11 weeks ago

South Wales

If I have started it I I will usually finish it, just because it may improve, some do some don't.

Handmaid's tale was ok but last series did wane off a little bit.

By *herrybakewellCouple 11 weeks ago

Staffordshire

A few minutes.

By *heTerminator2Man 11 weeks ago

Huddersfield

"A few minutes. "

I know straight away...and if you have a box set or watching a whole series and you have to stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning because you need to know what happens next after every episode you're hooked

By *lue RascalMan 11 weeks ago

Cheshire Liverpool Manchester

Well with The Walking Dead I got to the 6th Season and then decided it was shite. So I’m quite patient.

Huddersfield

"A few minutes.

I know straight away...and if you have a box set or watching a whole series and you have to stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning because you need to know what happens next after every episode you're hooked"

Huddersfield

"A few minutes.

I know straight away...and if you have a box set or watching a whole series and you have to stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning because you need to know what happens next after every episode you're hooked"

Anyone watched The series The Shield ...if not try it..

Newcastle upon Tyne

"A few minutes.

I know straight away...and if you have a box set or watching a whole series and you have to stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning because you need to know what happens next after every episode you're hooked

Anyone watched The series The Shield ...if not try it.."

We didn’t finish it but it was really good. We’d just finished Sons of Anarchy and it had a lot of the same actors in.

By *oeBeansMan 11 weeks ago

Derby

I usually give it the first episode but occasionally see it through to the end of that season as some are slow burners. I do prefer shows where something is happening every episode though!

By *ealMissShadyWoman 11 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

The last series I abandoned was The Bridge.....it messed with my head, I was fine until legs were found - oooohh, who's legs are they??? Then they found a top half! - oooooh who's that???' Then they discovered that the legs did not belong to the top half!!! - Ooooh I say....Where was the rest of them and who else may they find!

Then there was the series about a Policeman (I called him Ferkin) gaurding a holiday park, crying because his wife was having an affair with another woman!!! Not sure what he was crying for!!! If he wasn't shagging, he was crying and his wife was shagging her lover! I had to give up on that one too!

By *lueeyedchapMan 11 weeks ago

Nottingham

Usually just an episode or two. It might stay on in the background for a few more episodes just to see if it perks up before being fully abandoned.

3 Body Problem is probably the most recent where I was glad I stuck out the first couple of episodes.

Huddersfield

"A few minutes.

We didn’t finish it but it was really good. We’d just finished Sons of Anarchy and it had a lot of the same actors in."

Yeah sons of anarchy was good very good

By *eliz NelsonMan 11 weeks ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

"Two episodes if someone recommended it. One if I found it myself.

I tried again, and I’m now up-to-date with all the series

The boys is fabulous. Not up to the standard of the comics, but such fun.

"

Yeah! The Boys is a great series, definitely worth sticking past first couple of episodes

By *andybeachWoman 11 weeks ago

In the middle

It depends on wether I think it might improve, sometimes you stick with them and they hot up and you get interested in the characters, others after an episode I’ll turn them off

Huddersfield

"A few minutes.

We didn’t finish it but it was really good. We’d just finished Sons of Anarchy and it had a lot of the same actors in."

Yeah sons of anarchy was good very good if you liked that try Mayans M.C...that's another biker gang series very similar but just as good

By *atnip make me purrWoman 11 weeks ago

Reading

An episode.

Newcastle upon Tyne

"A few minutes.

We didn’t finish it but it was really good. We’d just finished Sons of Anarchy and it had a lot of the same actors in.

Yeah sons of anarchy was good very good if you liked that try Mayans M.C...that's another biker gang series very similar but just as good"

We were meant to watch that after SOA but got sidetracked by something else. I’ll stick it on my list, thanks.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 11 weeks ago

somewhere

I'll tell you the answer, 20 mins it took us to turn the new series of The Bear off, first one was brilliant, second was ok but this one? I guess I will never know lol

Sometimes it is so dire, I give up within an hour

Other times I try to persevere for an episode or two xx

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 11 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

The Turkish Detective ....... about 40 mins and im really underwhelmed and avoiding it from now on

Somewhere In The Ether…

"The Turkish Detective ....... about 40 mins and im really underwhelmed and avoiding it from now on"

I felt exactly the same, Granny; I normally love foreign crime dramas but I abandoned it after one mere episode in boredom.

A shame as the lead bore an uncanny resemblance to Baptiste (if that has any bearing on anything)

Somewhere In The Ether…

I started a series called, The Beast Must Die (not to be confused with the groovy Werewolf whodunnit flick from the 1970’s)

Two episodes in and I now couldn’t care less who the culprit was.

I might just fast forward to the final five minutes.

Somewhere In The Ether…

Another one: A Good Girls Guide To Murder.

I started it….I gave up.

The End

Somewhere In The Ether…

And yet another one: Altered Carbon on Netflix.

I love James Purefoy but one episode was more than I could endure.

….It occurs to me that I must sound like a right miserable sod.

Fair dos

By *ornyguyMan 11 weeks ago

Hillsborough, NI

Agree with someone else, you know you're into it if you end up wanting to watch episode after episode right away.

I've been told Parks and Rec, was good but I tried one or two episodes and wasn't interested, then the same people who told you it was good tell you it gets better after the first series. Derry girls was another I just didn't get into going by the first episode

I'm also on the camp of, if you have to watch the first series for it to get good, it's not worth it.

By *teveanddebsCouple 11 weeks ago

Norwich

"A few minutes.

Yeah sons of anarchy was good very good if you liked that try Mayans M.C...that's another biker gang series very similar but just as good"

After SoA I really wanted to like Mayans MC but I really couldn't get into it, I tried a few times.

5 mins that's all you get!

By *ostindreamsMan 11 weeks ago

London

If I don't get it after first three episodes, I will check Google to see how long it takes to getting hooked to it. Usually, someone would have asked this question on Reddit already

By *ay19720Man 11 weeks ago

Ashford kent

Half hr if i aint bothered and happy to make the tea then i wont be watching any more..

By *illybeachboyMan 11 weeks ago

Guernsey

Twenty mins max, if the characters don't grab my attention I'm off.

By *rimal InstinctCouple 11 weeks ago

Carlisle

Err I don't watch much TV, so to get me to watch something new in the first place is an achievement. If it's short I'll give it an episode, if it's more than half an hour....well I tend to switch off and do something else.

By *oubleswing2019Man 11 weeks ago

Colchester

I don't have a set figure as such, as I derive different things from different programs. If it's a new series, then I know the first x amount of episodes are going to be actors finding their stride and their characters. I'm quite happy to watch them grow in to their characters over the course of many episodes. But I am also studying the writing, the plot, the pacing and the interplay as well.

If it seems a bit "slow", I'll take a step back and reframe my expectations, and consider if I'm viewing the show with the wrong lens. If I don't feel I am, I will conclude the writing is not to my taste, and then part goodbye with the show. I don't have a set number before I pull the plug. It varies considerably.

By *oadsafun1960Man 11 weeks ago

Somerset & Hertfordshire

Usually it's two episodes for me to see if it's my thing. But I have been known to watch the first episode twice to see what I missed if everyone is raving about it. A series in question where I've done that is currently on Netflix called Supacell, it takes a bit of getting into but then hooks you!

By *onnyJohnMan 11 weeks ago

Doncaster

"Good folks:

When commencing a new series and if it’s not immediately gripping your attention, how long do you give it before giving up and abandoning it?

A few minutes?

An episode?

Two?

Or do you steadfastly brave on until the very end of the series?

"

30 mins - if I'm not feeling it, then its in the bin.

By *aseylee324Couple 11 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

About 15 minutes, if it hasn't got my interest by then, we're done. A bit like fab men

By *lynJMan 11 weeks ago

Morden

"I gave the new rebus series a couple of episodes. I thought it was going down predictable routes and the family struggling was a bit of a downer so gave up.

"

I think I got to the same conclusion after half an episode.

By *lynJMan 11 weeks ago

Morden

"The Turkish Detective ....... about 40 mins and im really underwhelmed and avoiding it from now on"

Same here. There was just something about it that put me off. And I love a good detective/whodunnit series.

» Add a new message to this topic