FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > JK Rowling

JK Rowling

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *anforkinkywomen OP   Man 12 weeks ago

Barwell

Does anyone else think she's a brilliant woman and a role model?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *or-QueeningMan 12 weeks ago

Manchester

No.

By *ustAnotherMan 12 weeks ago

Birmingham/ on the road

Author that made a successful book series at the right time and has demonstrated acute business sense, for these things she might be considered a role model.

For what else she's been in the news for? What not to do. Just let people be for fucks sake.

By *ot to giggleWoman 12 weeks ago

Coventry

think she wrote some amazing stories - i dont follow what she allegedly does in her personal life

By *atnip make me purrWoman 12 weeks ago

Reading

Can't stand the cis woman.

By *asterMeliodasMan 12 weeks ago

Near Keith

I foresee this being a rather polarising topic.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS 12 weeks ago

1127 walnut avenue

"Does anyone else think she's a brilliant woman and a role model?"

So Why do you think she's a brilliant woman and role model ..?

By *aitonelMan 12 weeks ago

Liverpool

Indifferent!

Though what follows is certainly to be amusing

By (user no longer on site) 12 weeks ago

Yeh shes an actual strong and independent women.

The kind the "establishment" doesn't like for being strong and independent.

By *inaTitzTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

A good writer, but one who really needs an editor willing to stand up to her and say that less is sometimes more.

Her views on trans, she should let people be whom they are.

By *andyfloss2000Woman 12 weeks ago

ashford

Absolutely not x

By *tephTV67TV/TS 12 weeks ago

Cheshire

Not my sort of fiction but I believe children enjoy them.

Her views on other subjects I’m afraid just like her books, not a fan.

By *luehairedcumslutCouple 12 weeks ago

St Neots

I think she makes some valid points to be fair.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 12 weeks ago

A role model for up and coming authors, She has her onions but there is a lot worse people then her and also a lot better

Yes

Her view on people not being able to change gender is absolutely bang on

No amount of surgery pronouns or any of that mental illness bollox can make a man a woman

By *naswingdressWoman 12 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

No.

By *lowupdollTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Herts

Anyone who uses a platform of money and status to make other peoples lives harder can jog on.

And where were her views when she was on her way up?

By *ovetosuck30Man 12 weeks ago

Rossendale

"Yes

Her view on people not being able to change gender is absolutely bang on

No amount of surgery pronouns or any of that mental illness bollox can make a man a woman "

I'll second that

I think she's an awesome writer and has a fantastic imagination to come up with all that she has

Even writing under her pseudonym

Robert Galbraith (Cormoran Strike series was brilliant)

And if you read what she actually said about trans it's been blown out of all proportion by some woke activists just after an argument.

Barwell

"Can't stand the cis woman."

I doubt she identifies as being CIS. She identifies as being a woman.

Barwell

"A good writer, but one who really needs an editor willing to stand up to her and say that less is sometimes more.

Her views on trans, she should let people be whom they are."

She used to be very polite. If you see what is said to her, it is vile including death threats.

By *ndianbear69Man 12 weeks ago

Bexleyheath

Nope

By *ellhungvweMan 12 weeks ago

Cheltenham

A nice quiet Saturday night in - I got a feeling this thread will help pass the time

Liverpool

"A nice quiet Saturday night in - I got a feeling this thread will help pass the time "

It's a reboot! Sometimes they are fun, sometimes shit. It's part of the excitement.

She made Harry Potter, she's awesome for that.

Her personal views on stuff are her views, agree with them or not, she's allowed them.

By *ellhungvweMan 12 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"A nice quiet Saturday night in - I got a feeling this thread will help pass the time

It's a reboot! Sometimes they are fun, sometimes shit. It's part of the excitement. "

Hopefully this one will be a box office hit.

Barwell

"She made Harry Potter, she's awesome for that.

Her personal views on stuff are her views, agree with them or not, she's allowed them.

"

She put pressure on the SNP when they put a "woman" with a penis in a woman's prison. Who had been convicted of assaulting a woman.

Liverpool

Was it Azkaban?

She put pressure on the SNP when they put a "woman" with a penis in a woman's prison. Who had been convicted of assaulting a woman. "

By *ilver_foxxx69Man 12 weeks ago

Falkirk

Yes. She’s made a success of herself and does a lot for charity.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 12 weeks ago

Central

Tedious person with a lot of power

Liverpool

"Tedious person with a lot of power "

So the only difference between her and the overwhelming vast majority of people is having a lot of power

By *econdSideQuestWoman 12 weeks ago

SWANSEA

She is a horrific and despicable person.

She could be using her money for good, not trying to make marginalised people life even harder

By *rHotNottsMan 12 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I don't think she identifies as one of those

But it doesn’t matter what an individual identifies as right ? It what we choose to call them ?

Liverpool

"

She could be using her money for good"

She does

By *ablo minibar123Woman 12 weeks ago

My 14 year old could bore you to death with why they think she is a terrible role model and refuses to read any of her books.

By *weetiepie99Woman 12 weeks ago

cardiff

A very good author/writer/business woman

By *rHotNottsMan 12 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

She could be using her money for good

"

OBE for services to literature and philanthropy. Clearly does more good than most people.

What’s not to like about her ?

By *pecialdaysMan 12 weeks ago

oxford

Her views on a boy being a boy a girl being a girl ? What’s so confusing she’s right! It’s a weird wild woke world it really is

By *uri00620Woman 12 weeks ago

Croydon

"

She could be using her money for good

She does "

Yep, which is why she's no longer a billionaire

By *etersubMan 12 weeks ago

Nottingham

Yes

By *ora the explorerWoman 12 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

Nope. She’s just a woman, who has her views and opinions

Paradise, Herts

So you purposely refer to her in a way she doesn’t want to be referred? Would you do that to a trans person on purpose like some people do? I find that quite obnoxious.

By *mber and FireCouple 12 weeks ago

Carmarthenshire

"Her views on a boy being a boy a girl being a girl ? What’s so confusing she’s right! It’s a weird wild woke world it really is "

There's that word again, 'woke'. Hilarious it gets used disparagingly.

She's a great role model to some. To others she's vocal in demeaning and damaging people's lives. Opinions man, like assholes. Everyone has one, some don't clean them anywhere near enough.

Liverpool

"Nope. She’s just a woman, who has her views and opinions "

Omg who let you in!?

By *ansoffateMan 12 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Honestly, I thought the Harry Potter books were quite poorly written. I couldn't get through them.

The story conceptually and the subsequent movies have clearly been something one could refer to as brilliance. At least in terms of success.

She's entitled to her opinion, but her success doesn't shield her from criticism either. If she is going to use it as a platform then it works both ways.

I don't really think she's brilliant or a role-model particularly.

Paradise, Herts

"Nope. She’s just a woman, who has her views and opinions

Omg who let you in!? "

I still have a key to pop in occasionally

By *alcon77Man 12 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

I think she has unresolved trauma.

Barwell

"Can't stand the cis woman.

So you purposely refer to her in a way she doesn’t want to be referred? Would you do that to a trans person on purpose like some people do? I find that quite obnoxious. "

CIS is just a stupid term and unnecessary.

Barwell

"Her views on a boy being a boy a girl being a girl ? What’s so confusing she’s right! It’s a weird wild woke world it really is "

Because men who like to wear knickers think they're women. Even though they'll never understand what it's like to give birth, menstruate or feel threatened by a butch crossdresser walking into the toilet.

Paradise, Herts

So you purposely refer to her in a way she doesn’t want to be referred? Would you do that to a trans person on purpose like some people do? I find that quite obnoxious.

CIS is just a stupid term and unnecessary."

I suppose I agree but I’m really not that bothered what others want to call themselves. Doesn’t affect me or my life at all. I do find it obnoxious and childish when people go out of their way to do the opposite of what someone wants though.

Manchester (she/her)

"Her views on a boy being a boy a girl being a girl ? What’s so confusing she’s right! It’s a weird wild woke world it really is

Because men who like to wear knickers think they're women. Even though they'll never understand what it's like to give birth, menstruate or feel threatened by a butch crossdresser walking into the toilet."

I do like it when people try to put barriers like this on what is and isn't a woman.

I'll never know what it feels like to give birth because I know what birth control is and I know how to prevent that.

My best friend was born without a uterus.

Neither of us are threatened by trans women who pass or not.

Are we men?

By *angerouslemaisonsMan 12 weeks ago

Peterborough

"My 14 year old could bore you to death with why they think she is a terrible role model and refuses to read any of her books."

You should advise them to separate the art form the artist because if we start judging and really looking into things there would be barely any art left to enjoy

Barwell

"My 14 year old could bore you to death with why they think she is a terrible role model and refuses to read any of her books."

Entitled to feel that way, but

Imagine a world where a r#p1st could suddenly identify as a woman and want moving to a woman's prison. SNP tried to do that and JK spoke out. Many others were afraid. She is the protector of women from men in knickers.

Carmarthenshire

"Her views on a boy being a boy a girl being a girl ? What’s so confusing she’s right! It’s a weird wild woke world it really is

Because men who like to wear knickers think they're women. Even though they'll never understand what it's like to give birth, menstruate or feel threatened by a butch crossdresser walking into the toilet."

I just like how a thong cradles my balls.

Carmarthenshire

"My 14 year old could bore you to death with why they think she is a terrible role model and refuses to read any of her books.

Imagine a world where a r#p1st could suddenly identify as a woman and want moving to a woman's prison. SNP tried to do that and JK spoke out. Many others were afraid. She is the protector of women from men in knickers."

Ahh here we go with the sensationalist bullshit.

Barwell

"My 14 year old could bore you to death with why they think she is a terrible role model and refuses to read any of her books.

Imagine a world where a r#p1st could suddenly identify as a woman and want moving to a woman's prison. SNP tried to do that and JK spoke out. Many others were afraid. She is the protector of women from men in knickers.

Ahh here we go with the sensationalist bullshit."

It isn't though is it, it actually happened. I personally don't care how people identify and would respect referring to someone I knew personal how they wish. But absolutely don't agree with using female toilets or competing in sport. And definitely not going into a woman's prison unless they have their penis removed

Manchester (she/her)

Ahh here we go with the sensationalist bullshit."

These are never backed up by actual statistics.

It's funny, because if you actually look at who is the main danger to women, it's men. Not men in knickers. I won't say cis men (because we're redoing the 1800s when they said stuff like "I'm not heterosexual, I'm normal") - I'll say men who live as men who lived as boys who had an M put on their birth certificate when the doctor spotted their willies at birth.

Men are the main danger to women.

And I know "not all men", but also not all trans people. If we want to restrict people's freedom and dignity because we're afraid of becoming victims of crime, I'd put my money and effort into a place where we actually see the crime occurring. Which is men. Manly manly manly men.

Carmarthenshire

It isn't though is it, it actually happened. I personally don't care how people identify and would respect referring to someone I knew personal how they wish. But absolutely don't agree with using female toilets or competing in sport. And definitely not going into a woman's prison unless they have their penis removed "

So trans folk abusing cis folk bad, but men abusing men in prisons and women abusing women in prisons is okay? Gtfo.

By *ed VoluptaWoman 12 weeks ago

Wirral.

So you purposely refer to her in a way she doesn’t want to be referred? Would you do that to a trans person on purpose like some people do? I find that quite obnoxious. "

I do, too, Nora. The hypocrisy is deafening!

I like her. She worked hard and didnt give up. Her views arent as horrific as some folk make out. There are far worse people in the world for folk to be getting in a tiz about

Barwell

It's funny, because if you actually look at who is the main danger to women, it's men. Not men in knickers. I won't say cis men (because we're redoing the 1800s when they said stuff like "I'm not heterosexual, I'm normal") - I'll say men who live as men who lived as boys who had an M put on their birth certificate when the doctor spotted their willies at birth.

And I know "not all men", but also not all trans people. If we want to restrict people's freedom and dignity because we're afraid of becoming victims of crime, I'd put my money and effort into a place where we actually see the crime occurring. Which is men. Manly manly manly men."

You are very polite and I know you've considered your response very well so thank you. The only issue I have with what you say is that your typical male won't be in women's private spaces. I do agree with some of what you've said.

Manchester (she/her)

I do, too, Nora. The hypocrisy is deafening!

I like her. She worked hard and didnt give up. Her views arent as horrific as some folk make out. There are far worse people in the world for folk to be getting in a tiz about

"

The soft Holocaust denial was deffo not a big deal

By *ablo minibar123Woman 12 weeks ago

You should advise them to separate the art form the artist because if we start judging and really looking into things there would be barely any art left to enjoy "

I let them form their own opinions, and i honestly dont think they are missing out on much by not reading Harry Potter.

Manchester (she/her)

And I know "not all men", but also not all trans people. If we want to restrict people's freedom and dignity because we're afraid of becoming victims of crime, I'd put my money and effort into a place where we actually see the crime occurring. Which is men. Manly manly manly men.

You are very polite and I know you've considered your response very well so thank you. The only issue I have with what you say is that your typical male won't be in women's private spaces. I do agree with some of what you've said. "

OK. Why are we focusing on crime prevention only specifically in one place?

If we want to prevent women being victimised, and we're prepared to overreach and also punish everyone in a single demographic, we need to consider the harm to women everywhere, not just in private places.

This means we need to lock men up.

Barwell

You are very polite and I know you've considered your response very well so thank you. The only issue I have with what you say is that your typical male won't be in women's private spaces. I do agree with some of what you've said.

If we want to prevent women being victimised, and we're prepared to overreach and also punish everyone in a single demographic, we need to consider the harm to women everywhere, not just in private places.

This means we need to lock men up."

I don't believe in punishing anyone. I believe we should extend rights as far as we can until it impedes someone else's rights. The Trans people I've met I've been quite fond of. I believe in showing respect to others but it works both ways.

Should Trans women be allowed to compete in sport for instance?

To be honest most people are going to be considerate and respectful apart from 3 issues.

1. Toilets

2. Sports

3. Prisons

By *uri00620Woman 12 weeks ago

Croydon

I think she's a great role model in terms of her as a novelist. She had rejection after rejection from publishers who didn't buy into her wizarding world concept believing it wouldn't garner interest. She preserved through tough personal circumstances. Now with her wealth she is a great philanthropist for many charities and has given away much of her fortune.

In schools they talk about her in such terms - talent and resilience. It's nice they they (could) have a role model who is distinct from the many others that young people often hone in on, someone bookish and loves Literature.

In terms of her of other online views, sure, she can have them just like anyone else, it's just few people have vast outlets like she does to express (and then be scrutinized by them).

What she has accomplished in her career, I think she is absolutely a role model and I can admire that irrespective of her online presence.

By *glyBettyTV/TS 12 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

I'll stay away from giving an opinion on the "other stuff" she says, but I've never been particularly interested in her literature.

I'm an adult, therefore I don't care about the trials and tribulations of wizard schoolchildren, so I'll never read her books.

Manchester (she/her)

This means we need to lock men up.

I don't believe in punishing anyone. I believe we should extend rights as far as we can until it impedes someone else's rights. The Trans people I've met I've been quite fond of. I believe in showing respect to others but it works both ways.

Should Trans women be allowed to compete in sport for instance?

To be honest most people are going to be considerate and respectful apart from 3 issues.

1. Toilets

2. Sports

3. Prisons

"

All of the "solutions" to trans issues seem to be incredibly punitive to me. And most risk prevention strategies seem to be about limiting freedom in some way, whether you want to call it punishment or not. Go back to Jack the Ripper, a case where women publicly objected to a curfew because it wasn't them causing the problem. Same thing.

If we're talking about safety in public, then we're talking about toilets. Being able to relieve yourself in private without risk of being attacked is a fundamental point of dignity.

What are the statistics for attacks in toilets? Who is attacked most? Least? I'm not talking about *news stories* or things you're aware of. Crime statistics are generally publicly available.

If we're going to restrict the freedom of one group, then we should do so on the basis of proclivity to violence.

Sport, I'm aware that there's exploration of the testosterone and other levels and how that will affect performance. I don't think it's black and white, and we have the technology to not be primitive about this.

Prisons, we should treat all violence in incarceration equally, and I don't see anyone complaining about the levels of male on male violence in prisons. Some even take male on male sexual violence in that context as a joke or as justice.

By *ea monkeyMan 12 weeks ago

Manchester (he/him)

I love how cis gendered straight men always seem to know exactly what makes a woman or doesn’t, understand the intricacies of gender dysphoria and have a deep grasp of transitioning

Manchester (he/him)

"I love how cis gendered straight men always seem to know exactly what makes a woman or doesn’t, understand the intricacies of gender dysphoria and have a deep grasp of transitioning"

Yet they often struggle to understand consent and where a clitoris is

Barwell

"I love how cis gendered straight men always seem to know exactly what makes a woman or doesn’t, understand the intricacies of gender dysphoria and have a deep grasp of transitioning

Yet they often struggle to understand consent and where a clitoris is "

I saw a trans woman do an MMA fight with a woman. I can tell you, that didn't look like equality.

Manchester (she/her)

"I love how cis gendered straight men always seem to know exactly what makes a woman or doesn’t, understand the intricacies of gender dysphoria and have a deep grasp of transitioning

Yet they often struggle to understand consent and where a clitoris is "

By *eordieJeansCouple 12 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Great writer but I am of the opinion that you should live and let live. What other people want to do with their bodies has nothing to do with me even if I don’t fully understand it.

Manchester (he/him)

I saw a trans woman do an MMA fight with a woman. I can tell you, that didn't look like equality. "

I’ve seen cis gendered women rugby players that would take you to the cleaners. I’m not sure what your point is?

Carmarthenshire

I saw a trans woman do an MMA fight with a woman. I can tell you, that didn't look like equality.

I’ve seen cis gendered women rugby players that would take you to the cleaners. I’m not sure what your point is?

"

I was literally about to make this point. Have played men vs women before, and it is far, far from equal. They hurt us, they hurt us real bad.

Near Keith

I saw a trans woman do an MMA fight with a woman. I can tell you, that didn't look like equality. "

Are you by any chance referring to Fallon Fox?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 12 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

I think she makes a good role model for many reasons.

By *odgers and PartingCouple 12 weeks ago

edinburgh

I admire and respect her , as role models go she’s a good one.

D

By *he KakapoMan 12 weeks ago

A nice rock

Clearly a gifted writer. Disagree with her views on trans people.

My biggest gripe is Quidditch makes no sense as a sport

Near Keith

"Clearly a gifted writer. Disagree with her views on trans people.

My biggest gripe is Quidditch makes no sense as a sport"

That's long been one of my issues with it as well. In effect, the snitch is the only part of the game that truly matters. You have to score a staggering number of goals for the other side catching it to not result in a win, so the optimal strategy for any team is to focus entirely on getting the best possible seeker.

By *edeWoman 12 weeks ago

the abyss

Hard no

By *oydykeWoman 12 weeks ago

Southampton (they/them)

The rage bait is insane and it’s obvious you just wanted an argument and a reason to dunk on trans people

Our existence isn’t up for debate.

As a transmasc, my fellow trans women deserve respect and safety.

Couple of things for clarification for a bloke.

What has she said to piss people off. What is CIS and who is Gandolph?

By *ts the taking part thatMan 12 weeks ago

southampton

Yes, not many have actually listened to her words & understood them.

Sharron Davies too. Top ladies.

By *odgers and PartingCouple 11 weeks ago

edinburgh

I don’t think you’ve listened to her views; merely the headlines of what people think she’s saying. K

By *4bimMan 11 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

god sake i wish putin would hurry up and drop the bomb

By *ty31Man 11 weeks ago

NW London

I haven't read or seen Harry Potter and I have no experience of being either female or trans so I might now be the best qualified to comment on this

But

I do sometimes think JK makes some valid points about protecting safe spaces for women etc and sometimes I disagree with some things she says.

(I also think that Sharon Davies makes sense quite often regarding protecting women in sport etc).

From my (limited) understanding, I do think that many women aren't bothered about sharing their space with trans women, they just want reassurance that they won't ever be in a position where their safe spaces are compromised by people like Adam Graham/Isla Bryson

By (user no longer on site) 11 weeks ago

I love the Potter stories/films/universe.

By *he KakapoMan 11 weeks ago

A nice rock

I don’t think you’ve listened to her views; merely the headlines of what people think she’s saying. K"

Why is that? Do you know my views on trans people to say that I don't actually disagree with hers?

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 11 weeks ago

chichester

No she’s an ego.driven mouth piece with a lot of money

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 11 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

She has nothing against trans people.

By *anforkinkywomen OP   Man 11 weeks ago

Barwell

"Does anyone else think she's a brilliant woman and a role model?

No she’s an ego.driven mouth piece with a lot of money

"

I actually read some of her tweets and was a lot more inflammatory than way she worded things than I expected. That said, I think she makes some valid points. She also gets some absolutely frightening abuse. I wonder if people could discuss these things like human beings without being called wokies or bigots, could it descend into the gutter. I find you stunning btw but if I were a female, I might feel a bit intimidated if I saw your cock swinging around in a changing rooms. Because I don't know you as a person. I don't mean any offence btw so please don't take that as a personal insult x

A nice rock

She has nothing against trans people. "

I don't know if that's true. And I genuinely don't think she hates trans people.

I do think she is letting past trauma(understandably) shape her views and commentary on the issue. Which I do think riles up, mobilises and legitimises people who are hateful because of the way she does it

And I don't agree with alot of her views on the issue. I think she exaggerates the dangers of shared spaces.

Again I can understand why. And I understand how easy all this is for me to say as a straight white man.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 11 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

In short, no.

I found the series easy reading when it came out.

But to actively use the platform the fame from that has given her to make other people's lives worse? Fuck that. That's not a good person.

By *rsKOTCTWoman 11 weeks ago

Leeds

Totally with you here.

I don't care about her politics.

But I think her last 2 Harry Potter books were crap

By *lowupdollTV/TS 11 weeks ago

Herts

"In short, no.

I found the series easy reading when it came out.

But to actively use the platform the fame from that has given her to make other people's lives worse? Fuck that. That's not a good person."

Exactly.

By *rsKOTCTWoman 11 weeks ago

Leeds

I like her books, as a person not so much.

Although much of what she's said has been taken, twisted and reshaped to fit the media.

Still I'm not onboard with her personal views.

By *rPunxMan 11 weeks ago

Hull

OK I'm going to try and avoid anything controversial or argumentative here.if we are talking about freedom of expression then everyone has that right whether you agree with it or not. Otherwise it is just hypocritical to claim your views/opinions are right and everyone else's are wrong.

King's Crustacean

"OK I'm going to try and avoid anything controversial or argumentative here.if we are talking about freedom of expression then everyone has that right whether you agree with it or not. Otherwise it is just hypocritical to claim your views/opinions are right and everyone else's are wrong."

Correct............ or is it ????

King's Crustacean

"OK I'm going to try and avoid anything controversial or argumentative here.if we are talking about freedom of expression then everyone has that right whether you agree with it or not. Otherwise it is just hypocritical to claim your views/opinions are right and everyone else's are wrong.

"

Okay i've put my serious head on. Most people here argue to win. Very few seem to have reached a stage that allows the exchange of ideas and opinions and understand that this is the road to personal growth and is what challenge and 'argument' is about.

By *oubleswing2019Man 11 weeks ago

Colchester

She's written books that have given pleasure to millions.

She's donated to many charities.

She's said vile things about marginalised people.

We are "the sum of all our parts", so on that basis, no.

By *rPunxMan 11 weeks ago

Hull

"OK I'm going to try and avoid anything controversial or argumentative here.if we are talking about freedom of expression then everyone has that right whether you agree with it or not. Otherwise it is just hypocritical to claim your views/opinions are right and everyone else's are wrong.

Okay i've put my serious head on. Most people here argue to win. Very few seem to have reached a stage that allows the exchange of ideas and opinions and understand that this is the road to personal growth and is what challenge and 'argument' is about. "

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS 11 weeks ago

hexham

A role model? No, not particularly.

A brilliant woman? I have never met her so I really couldn’t say.

I don’t think her writing is particularly great. Her concepts are good but nothing really that hasn’t existed in science fantasy for years, and I know the books are meant for children but I find them very bland.

Mind, I can’t deny her huge success and must give her credit for that. If I met her , no doubt I would think she was lovely

By *lowupdollTV/TS 11 weeks ago

Herts

Okay i've put my serious head on. Most people here argue to win. Very few seem to have reached a stage that allows the exchange of ideas and opinions and understand that this is the road to personal growth and is what challenge and 'argument' is about. "

Some, maybe a lot, of people confuse a thought with a fact. Any argument then becomes trying to fit objective facts to their thought-fact, getting incredibly irate when reality doesn’t warp around them.

A nice rock

Tbf the question was if people thought she was a brilliant role model. Not about her right to her own opinion and her freedom to express them.

By *toC Thats MeWoman 11 weeks ago

Sheffield

"

Agree with this!

By *icecouple561Couple 11 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I suppose it depends who she's being a role model for and for what reasons.

By *8on33Man 11 weeks ago

winfrith

I just like her stock pile of money .

By *S chanel demarTV/TS 11 weeks ago

peterborough

Apparently her books are popular, not my thing. To be that wealthy and have a platform to make some peoples lives harder is cruel.

So no, she is a c***.

edinburgh

I don’t think you’ve listened to her views; merely the headlines of what people think she’s saying. K

Why is that? Do you know my views on trans people to say that I don't actually disagree with hers?"

I’d say she hasn’t said anything that’s derogatory, demeaning or hurtful to trans people, indeed she has trans friends - who support her views. Her concern is the drip, drip erosion of women’s protected rights. If you disagree with that, then you’re correct, I really don’t understand your view on trans people. Too many jump on a sound bite (a bit like a lot of perceived antisemitism) rather than the whole picture to get context. If most people (clearly you have your views made already, I’ll say I’m going to disagree with them) read and or listened in full to what the likes of Rowling, Cherry (she has gone down in my estimation but that’s another story) and Davies said rather than what they want them to say (in the name of faux grievance) they’d get a better understanding of where she’s coming from. K

A nice rock

Why is that? Do you know my views on trans people to say that I don't actually disagree with hers?

I’d say she hasn’t said anything that’s derogatory, demeaning or hurtful to trans people, indeed she has trans friends - who support her views. Her concern is the drip, drip erosion of women’s protected rights. If you disagree with that, then you’re correct, I really don’t understand your view on trans people. Too many jump on a sound bite (a bit like a lot of perceived antisemitism) rather than the whole picture to get context. If most people (clearly you have your views made already, I’ll say I’m going to disagree with them) read and or listened in full to what the likes of Rowling, Cherry (she has gone down in my estimation but that’s another story) and Davies said rather than what they want them to say (in the name of faux grievance) they’d get a better understanding of where she’s coming from. K"

Your assuming that only people you agreee with have read her comments in full.

Prehaps I've read them and interpret them differently.

edinburgh

I’d say she hasn’t said anything that’s derogatory, demeaning or hurtful to trans people, indeed she has trans friends - who support her views. Her concern is the drip, drip erosion of women’s protected rights. If you disagree with that, then you’re correct, I really don’t understand your view on trans people. Too many jump on a sound bite (a bit like a lot of perceived antisemitism) rather than the whole picture to get context. If most people (clearly you have your views made already, I’ll say I’m going to disagree with them) read and or listened in full to what the likes of Rowling, Cherry (she has gone down in my estimation but that’s another story) and Davies said rather than what they want them to say (in the name of faux grievance) they’d get a better understanding of where she’s coming from. K

Your assuming that only people you agreee with have read her comments in full.

Prehaps I've read them and interpret them differently.

"

I’m more assuming the people haven’t read anything she’s written on the subject. Instead they’ve attached themselves to whatever particular echo chamber they are a part of. Had it first hand with a family member ‘JK is a transphobe!’ Asked them ‘why?’ though and they couldn’t answer; they hadn’t read her comments. Just seen the cancel culture soundbites and taken that as gospel. K

By *ansoffateMan 11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Well said Granny. Although I've also reached the stage that I recognise the importance of letting out my inner-child for shits and giggles.

Winning... I only care about that if I am playing street fighter 2 in the arcade. Then it's war. No retreat, no surrender. Chun li wins - her giggle when she won used to make people rage quit. Honestly, some people would bottle it at the prospect of losing to a female fictional character.

Maybe there should have been a trans character back then? Today's debate may be different.

[Looks to the Horizon] AHH... the winds of change

By *andG2024Couple 11 weeks ago

Atherstone

[Removed by poster at 14/07/24 13:42:16]

Atherstone

Sound woman role model parent who does not want children to be corrupt by the confused

By *opinovMan 11 weeks ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

She might be a great author, and I really loved her Harry Potter stories, but that doesn't give her free reign to use her fame to trample her personal views all over other people's private personal lives. It's such a bummer when your heroes reveal themselves to be arseholes.

By *ssex_tomMan 11 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Bloody hell Nora, a strong opinion

Chelmsford

Fell asleep after 15 minutes of the first Potter film. Boring. Tried the Potter Books. Gave up after one chapter. Boring.

Not knocking people who enjoy her work and success though and to be fair everyone should be able to have an opinion and works both ways.

Live and let live peoples

By *eordieJeansCouple 11 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Fell asleep after 15 minutes of the first Potter film. Boring. Tried the Potter Books. Gave up after one chapter. Boring.

Not knocking people who enjoy her work and success though and to be fair everyone should be able to have an opinion and works both ways.

Live and let live peoples"

Is Tom feeling ok?

By *rHotNottsMan 11 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

On here yes, but not in general at least not the people I know.

I think people here are more sensing not intuitive types , quite fixed mindsets and form

opinions without much reflecting you see it on a range of topics. People will dislike her, believed science , politics etc based on something they haven’t seen or read but choose to believe that fits their existing bias.

Lack of JK Rowling quotes proves this conclusively

People often debate to vent their internal anger at their own life and try to win rather than to deepen there own understanding.

By *cottishVikingBearMan 11 weeks ago

N. London

Abslutely dreadful person.

Leaving aside her awful view on transgender people, she's also blatantly racist.

Why?

She names her sole Asian character 'Cho Chang' - why not just call her 'Ching Chong China-girl'?

The goblins are the laziest anti-semitic tropes I've ever seen.

Her whole world (before she started retconning to try adding fake diversity) is just a white heteronormative mess.

By *naswingdressWoman 11 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Abslutely dreadful person.

Leaving aside her awful view on transgender people, she's also blatantly racist.

Why?

She names her sole Asian character 'Cho Chang' - why not just call her 'Ching Chong China-girl'?

Her whole world (before she started retconning to try adding fake diversity) is just a white heteronormative mess."

Yeah, even back then, we were better than that. Not necessarily good, but better. I'm not sure why it got such a huge pass.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 11 weeks ago

chichester

"Fell asleep after 15 minutes of the first Potter film. Boring. Tried the Potter Books. Gave up after one chapter. Boring.

Live and let live peoples"

lol Tom

Yes i agree she ripped alot of fantasy work to create Harry Potter but Thats cool as most fiction is derivative based from existing work anyway.

Some of the books were better but some are just a drawn out grind.

The films were much better strange books (well first 4 anyway )

edinburgh

Why?

Her whole world (before she started retconning to try adding fake diversity) is just a white heteronormative mess."

Utter drivel. Jesus. As I’ve said, the similarity of identity politics and the antisemitism row is so blatant. Anything to cancel. Stick an ‘ism’ or ‘phone’ on the end of something in an attempt to silence, close discussion and bully. K

edinburgh

Why?

Her whole world (before she started retconning to try adding fake diversity) is just a white heteronormative mess.

Utter drivel. Jesus. As I’ve said, the similarity of identity politics and the antisemitism row is so blatant. Anything to cancel. Stick an ‘ism’ or ‘phone’ on the end of something in an attempt to silence, close discussion and bully. K"

‘Phobe’

By *acksparrow99Man 11 weeks ago

Canary Wharf, London

Someone who pulled herself out of poverty using her creative skills can be a role model. I respect her for that.

Atherstone

Why?

Mr wet wipe lol

By *AJMLKTV/TS 11 weeks ago

Burley

Why?

Are you actually kidding with this post? I don't think I've ever seen such ignorant racism. Cho is a perfectly normal Chinese name - it means "beginning", usually signifying the start to an important life. It's quite common in the north of China. Chang is also a very common surname, it's a westernised version of Shang, an old Chinese dynasty. There are many Chang and Shang families. But you think it sounds like "Ching Chong China-girl"? That's just messed up, and displays a remarkable ignorance of Chinese naming culture. Do yourself a favour mate, and do a bit of research before showing yourself to be an unpleasant and bigoted person. The female poster who agreed with you should also be thoroughly ashamed of her own ignorance.

Why?

To be fair she did cast a ginger in one of the main roles.

Equality and all.

By *heBigLibowskiMan 11 weeks ago

Hampshire

I honestly have no idea what dog she has in the fight? Why is she so passionately against it?

I couldn't care less what other people do and it's none of my business.

I were that ridiculously rich I'd want to fade into the background and quietly do something decent for mankind rather than grind an axe for no reason.

By *heBigLibowskiMan 11 weeks ago

Hampshire

Probably still bang her though.

edinburgh

Why?

Equality and all.

"

By *ycanNightsMan 11 weeks ago

Workington

She's a bit of a cunt really...

By *ansoffateMan 11 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Why?

Equality and all.

"

True that. I mean she did make him slightly inept and poor. I suppose that made him relatable to other gingers though.

By *azza72Man 11 weeks ago

Leeds

CIS is just a stupid term and unnecessary."

I have to admit I don’t even know what CIS means

By *asterMeliodasMan 11 weeks ago

Near Keith

I have to admit I don’t even know what CIS means "

It's a Latin term meaning "on this side of", and in this context is short for cisgender, which just means your gender identity matches your sex.

By *azza72Man 11 weeks ago

Leeds

It's a Latin term meaning "on this side of", and in this context is short for cisgender, which just means your gender identity matches your sex."

Ah got it, everyday is a school day

By *allerthanaverage79Man 11 weeks ago

Ayrshire

I still would!

By *acksparrow99Man 11 weeks ago

Canary Wharf, London

"I honestly have no idea what dog she has in the fight? Why is she so passionately against it?

I couldn't care less what other people do and it's none of my business.

I were that ridiculously rich I'd want to fade into the background and quietly do something decent for mankind rather than grind an axe for no reason."

She explained it in a piece published by the Guardian. Apparently you cannot have an opinion on sexuality and abuse if you are a victim of abuse in a relationship and a victim of sexual abuse when you happen to be wealthy and famous.

By *mber and FireCouple 11 weeks ago

Carmarthenshire

Just an anecdotal observation from this thread. Plenty of straight people supporting her across the board, and nearly (if not) every trans deriding her.

By *hil most chillMan 11 weeks ago

London & Europe

I think she's a cunt, because she consistently says and does cunty things

By *ucy AnneTV/TS 11 weeks ago

Woodstock

She put pressure on the SNP when they put a "woman" with a penis in a woman's prison. Who had been convicted of assaulting a woman. "

Yes, and good for her!

By *hirley147TV/TS 11 weeks ago

Blackpool

I would say people are entitled to freedom of speech. Women are different from men in loads of ways. They are wired differently, and obviously anatomy differences over millenia of evolution and dna. Think trans is a separate category which needs acceptance on own identity. And that is the crux of the matter, because in reality a person cannot change biological sex. It's a myth. Trans is separate category. Perhaps it's due to hormones in the womb, who knows.

Woodstock

Yes, I do, and a lot of nasty spiteful lies have been told about what she has said about transgender people. She has simply stood up for women and stated simple facts.

I have never read any of her books but they have clearly got a lot of young people interested in reading which I applaud.

Woodstock

"I would say people are entitled to freedom of speech. Women are different from men in loads of ways. They are wired differently, and obviously anatomy differences over millenia of evolution and dna. Think trans is a separate category which needs acceptance on own identity. And that is the crux of the matter, because in reality a person cannot change biological sex. It's a myth. Trans is separate category. Perhaps it's due to hormones in the womb, who knows. "

Well said. Much as I wish that there were magic wands and that I could be a real woman whatever is done to us we can not change biological sex, and it is clear that perverts and other criminals have taken advantage of some measures intended to help transgender people.

I have found real women incredibly kind and supportive of me as a trans-woman.

Manchester (she/her)

"I would say people are entitled to freedom of speech. "

I do love this argument.

It's not saying that what someone says is useful, worthwhile, logical, correct, moral, or anything positive. It's not saying that saying it will let you keep your job. All it's saying is that the government will not prosecute you for saying it, because the government has decided that it is in the interests of their political system to permit speech (even if diabolical).

That is the one thing that is positive about the noxious bile that that creature spews. She won't be arrested for it.

Chelmsford

Live and let live peoples

Is Tom feeling ok?"

Tom feeling very well thank you

Chelmsford

Why?

WOW !

Manchester (she/her)

Why?

WOW !"

Is this new to you, Tom? Gosh, I've seen analysis of her antiquated bigoted worldview (as expressed in Harry Potter) for over a decade.

Goodness. I thought you were up with the news?

Chelmsford

It's a Latin term meaning "on this side of", and in this context is short for cisgender, which just means your gender identity matches your sex."

Tom is a man.. Not a cis man..

Just a man ..

Burley

This thread is certainly proving that misogyny doesn't just come from men.

By *anforkinkywomen OP   Man 11 weeks ago

Barwell

It's a Latin term meaning "on this side of", and in this context is short for cisgender, which just means your gender identity matches your sex.

Just a man ..

"

What are your preferred pronouns Tom. He/Him or They/Them?

I don't want to assume

Chelmsford

Just a man ..

What are your preferred pronouns Tom. He/Him or They/Them?

I don't want to assume "

Just use Tom. People call me Tom

By *MisschiefxTV/TS 11 weeks ago

London

She created a great fantasy world in her books and the films are good but she's a social moron.

Just because trans women exist doesn't mean anything is being taken away from cis women, stupid hill to die on.

By *ortyairCouple 11 weeks ago

Wallasey

"She created a great fantasy world in her books and the films are good but she's a social moron.

Just because trans women exist doesn't mean anything is being taken away from cis women, stupid hill to die on."

But why the need for the term is at all? It's superfluous.

Mrs x

By *immyinreadingMan 11 weeks ago

henley on thames

While not everyone will agree with her, I find the ferocity of some of the language and views expressed against her very strange.

I can’t see where she has made a single comment worthy of such strong reactions.

henley on thames

"I would say people are entitled to freedom of speech.

I do love this argument.

It's not saying that what someone says is useful, worthwhile, logical, correct, moral, or anything positive. It's not saying that saying it will let you keep your job. All it's saying is that the government will not prosecute you for saying it, because the government has decided that it is in the interests of their political system to permit speech (even if diabolical).

That is the one thing that is positive about the noxious bile that that creature spews. She won't be arrested for it."

“Noxious bile”? “Creature”

The irony … you don’t like something she said and you fire disgusting insults at her.

henley on thames

"Just an anecdotal observation from this thread. Plenty of straight people supporting her across the board, and nearly (if not) every trans deriding her.

"

That’s not quite what I am seeing.

Wallasey

"She created a great fantasy world in her books and the films are good but she's a social moron.

Just because trans women exist doesn't mean anything is being taken away from cis women, stupid hill to die on.But why the need for the term is at all? It's superfluous.

Mrs x"

The term 'cis' even, fat fingers mess you up at times ffs haha.

Mrs x

Mrs x

henley on thames

Why?

Equality and all.

"

Most / (all?) of the baddies in her books are male. Should I get upset about this and fire ugly insults at her for blatant misandry? Am I missing out on a great opportunity to take offence? Or would that just be silly?

By *astyDaddy76Man 11 weeks ago

Sutton

I don’t like the way she exaggerated her past, she was not working class neither was she penniless. Middle class who lived out of a hotel while house was being renovated and wrote whilst in her brother in laws cafe!

Also she pretends she never read any of Jill Murphys worst witch books, which lets face it, HP is a blatant plagiarism only she had the advertisement and backing to make it a world wide sensation where as Jill’s was localised to UK

henley on thames

"I don’t like the way she exaggerated her past, she was not working class neither was she penniless. Middle class who lived out of a hotel while house was being renovated and wrote whilst in her brother in laws cafe!

Also she pretends she never read any of Jill Murphys worst witch books, which lets face it, HP is a blatant plagiarism only she had the advertisement and backing to make it a world wide sensation where as Jill’s was localised to UK"

Lived in a hotel while her house was being renovated? Where did you get that version of events?

My understanding was that she was living on benefits and loans / handouts from friends .

London

Just because trans women exist doesn't mean anything is being taken away from cis women, stupid hill to die on.But why the need for the term is at all? It's superfluous.

Mrs xThe term 'cis' even, fat fingers mess you up at times ffs haha.

Mrs x

Mrs x"

I don't see any issue with it. It's not an insult it's just a descriptor.

Wallasey

Mrs x

Mrs x

I don't see any issue with it. It's not an insult it's just a descriptor."

But it's not needed. What is it describing that the term 'woman' doesn't already adequately describe?

I'm not 'cis' anything, I'm just a woman, no extra description is needed.

Mrs x

Burley

Mrs x

Mrs x

I don't see any issue with it. It's not an insult it's just a descriptor."

Many people do find it offensive. I don't find the word "tranny" offensive in relation to transgendered individuals, but many do so I don't tend to use it out of respect.

London

Mrs x

Mrs x

Many people do find it offensive. I don't find the word "tranny" offensive in relation to transgendered individuals, but many do so I don't tend to use it out of respect. "

The biggest difference there being 'tranny' is a slur whereas 'cis' is not a slur. 'cis' is no different than using 'white' or 'black' when describing the skin colour of someone.

Burley

Mrs x

Mrs x

Many people do find it offensive. I don't find the word "tranny" offensive in relation to transgendered individuals, but many do so I don't tend to use it out of respect.

The biggest difference there being 'tranny' is a slur whereas 'cis' is not a slur. 'cis' is no different than using 'white' or 'black' when describing the skin colour of someone."

That's precisely my point. "Tranny" wasn't originally a slur, it's an abbreviation. You, and others, now treat it as a slur. "Cis" started as a descriptor but is now taken as a slur. You don't get to decide what other people find offensive, only they do.

By *hagTonightMan 11 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

"I think she makes a good role model for many reasons. "
This .

Wallasey

Mrs x

Mrs x

The biggest difference there being 'tranny' is a slur whereas 'cis' is not a slur. 'cis' is no different than using 'white' or 'black' when describing the skin colour of someone."

But it adds nothing to be description of a woman. Everyone knows what a woman is and does not required any additional term to describe it.

The term 'Trans" however is a descriptor used to distinguish someone who has 'transitioned' to who they identify as currently.

As a woman I need no additional term to describe myself until such time as I decide to transition into a trans man.

Mrs x

By *hagTonightMan 11 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

Mrs x

Mrs x

The biggest difference there being 'tranny' is a slur whereas 'cis' is not a slur. 'cis' is no different than using 'white' or 'black' when describing the skin colour of someone.But it adds nothing to be description of a woman. Everyone knows what a woman is and does not required any additional term to describe it.

The term 'Trans" however is a descriptor used to distinguish someone who has 'transitioned' to who they identify as currently.

As a woman I need no additional term to describe myself until such time as I decide to transition into a trans man.

Mrs x"

This .

Chelmsford

Mrs x

Mrs x

Cis is helpful and often disparaging.

Wallasey

Mrs x

Mrs x

The biggest difference there being 'tranny' is a slur whereas 'cis' is not a slur. 'cis' is no different than using 'white' or 'black' when describing the skin colour of someone.

Cis is helpful and often disparaging. "

How is the term 'Cis' helpful?

Mrs x

Chelmsford

Mrs x

Mrs x

Cis is helpful and often disparaging. How is the term 'Cis' helpful?

Mrs x"

Lol. Not helpful he meant

Wallasey

Mrs x

Mrs x

Mrs x

Lol. Not helpful he meant"

Normally it's the original that keeps the original term for itself and anything new requires some sort of descriptor to distinguish itself from the original.

The Mona Lisa is the original. Copies can be made that a fantastic and accurate down to the smallest detail. It could be almost impossible to tell the apart to most people. But if it's not the original it's not the Mona Lisa, no matter how much the artist who created it would want it to be. This situation does not require the original to be prefixed with the term Cis to distinguish it from the copy.

This is the same for most things. Pepsi is the original and is known as Pepsi, not Cis Pepsi, Original Pepsi or any other descriptor you can think of. All the other versions of Pepsi have descriptors to show they are a derivative of the original. So you have Diet, Max, Cherry, Diet Cherry and so on. They may be all lovely and be based upon the original but they are not the original. Yes I know that the recipe has probably undergone change from it's inception but you know where I am going with this. Pepsi needs nothing 'extra' to say what it is whilst all the different versions of this drink do.

Trademark law exists for this very reason. The original, trademarked first, can call itself whatever it wants. Any subsequent similar, virtually identical, product has to distinguish itself from the original, it has to call itself something different or distinguish itself from the original. The original on the other hand is under no obligation to do so, it's not required to put 'Cis' at the front of its name.

I think there's a reason that the tiny proportion of the population pushed for the use of another descriptor for woman but I'm not sure it adds anything to what I'm trying to say now.

I'm just a woman, I'm not a 'Cis' anything, please don't call me that. Some in the trans community are so quick to call for others not to misidentify them, please show woman the same consideration.

Mrs x

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 11 weeks ago

somewhere

I think she is a great writer, worked damn hard to get to where she is and does a lot for charity, she stands by what she believes in (rightly or wrongly), all I know is she made some cracking books, which led to some great films.

Chelmsford

Mrs x

Mrs x

Mrs x

Lol. Not helpful he meant Normally it's the original that keeps the original term for itself and anything new requires some sort of descriptor to distinguish itself from the original.

The Mona Lisa is the original. Copies can be made that a fantastic and accurate down to the smallest detail. It could be almost impossible to tell the apart to most people. But if it's not the original it's not the Mona Lisa, no matter how much the artist who created it would want it to be. This situation does not require the original to be prefixed with the term Cis to distinguish it from the copy.

This is the same for most things. Pepsi is the original and is known as Pepsi, not Cis Pepsi, Original Pepsi or any other descriptor you can think of. All the other versions of Pepsi have descriptors to show they are a derivative of the original. So you have Diet, Max, Cherry, Diet Cherry and so on. They may be all lovely and be based upon the original but they are not the original. Yes I know that the recipe has probably undergone change from it's inception but you know where I am going with this. Pepsi needs nothing 'extra' to say what it is whilst all the different versions of this drink do.

Trademark law exists for this very reason. The original, trademarked first, can call itself whatever it wants. Any subsequent similar, virtually identical, product has to distinguish itself from the original, it has to call itself something different or distinguish itself from the original. The original on the other hand is under no obligation to do so, it's not required to put 'Cis' at the front of its name.

I think there's a reason that the tiny proportion of the population pushed for the use of another descriptor for woman but I'm not sure it adds anything to what I'm trying to say now.

I'm just a woman, I'm not a 'Cis' anything, please don't call me that. Some in the trans community are so quick to call for others not to misidentify them, please show woman the same consideration.

Mrs x

"

Far more eloquently put than Old Tom ever could

Manchester (she/her)

Well, this was the usual fun and not at all shit stirring.