FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Can you accept other peoples views?

Can you accept other peoples views?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man 30 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

Or are you stuck in your own ways or open for change?

Did you know that open minded people can cope with others opinion that differs from theirs?

Although nowadays I guess it is hard to accept other views.

Personally I am open minded and I can listen to what others have to say on the subject and then from that I am willing to change my view if it sounds credible. I will say, well there is something init or perhaps you are totally wrong or there are elements on it that you are right on, but not on everything we dont agree on

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *red333Man 30 weeks ago

Dorchester

No i can't, sorry

By *valanche1001Man 30 weeks ago

Leeds

I accept other people are entitled to their views but I don’t need to agree with them.

Each to their own but if their view if overtly offensive or discriminatory I’ve no issue in challenging them over it.

By (user no longer on site) 30 weeks ago

If someone doesn’t think Messi is the best footballer of all time, or lebron is the best basketball player of all time then yeah. I can hear them. And I think I’ve even learned so many new things and broadened my perspectives.

If it’s to do with race, I am not gonna lie, it would depend on the person’s experience and their knowledge on it. Like obviously I’m not closed minded, that’s how I have continued to learn about it. But I am less likely to *accept* the views of someone saying something upsetting or insulting.

I think same about other kinds of discrimination tbh. But I think when I am less knowledgeable on it I will likely do more listening than talking. Might not always change my perspective but might question theirs to find out more. Learn more.

When it comes to things like even being a Tory or how people vote I am happy to stay open minded and hear their reasoning. Again I’m unlikely to change my opinion and it’s unlikely we will get on. But I think that is very dependent on their views on things like race, gender, class etc.

I guess to lots of people I probably don’t seem open minded. Though I feel I am and have learned so much in my short 26 years from others. But I’m ok with whatever

By *midnight-Woman 30 weeks ago

"Or are you stuck in your own ways or open for change?

Did you know that open minded people can cope with others opinion that differs from theirs?

Personally I am open minded and I can listen to what others have to say on the subject and then from that I am willing to change my view if it sounds credible. I will say, well there is something init or perhaps you are totally wrong or there are elements on it that you are right on, but not on everything we dont agree on "

I think i am - on the points where we disagree i listen politely and sometimes say we'll have to agree to disagree - its not in my nature to be confrontational so i wonder if other people think I'm agreeing with them

By *onameyet2Man 30 weeks ago

chorley

I’ve learned to read as much as I can so my opinions are based on fact as much as possible, I have learne so much from shutting up and listening to others even if it’s only that I don’t agree with them.

the only thing I don’t tolerate are religious bigots and that covers most religious people unfortunately,

Personally I am open minded and I can listen to what others have to say on the subject and then from that I am willing to change my view if it sounds credible. I will say, well there is something init or perhaps you are totally wrong or there are elements on it that you are right on, but not on everything we dont agree on "

I am happy to listen to the views of others and at times I will change my opinion if the evidence supports it ie politics but if the opinion is based more on feelings/beliefs ie religion then I will listen but that is all.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 30 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I am open mindedness personified Shag.

By *icassolifelikeMan 30 weeks ago

Luton

You’re not allowed an opinion on Fab unless it coincides with the leftist “establishment”.

Stop rocking the boat!!

By *bi HaiveMan 30 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I accept other people are entitled to their views but I don’t need to agree with them.

Each to their own but if their view if overtly offensive or discriminatory I’ve no issue in challenging them over it. "

Pretty much this.

There's a big difference between accepting and respecting views in my mind. I do also sometimes struggle to comprehend the thought process that some seem to use in deciding on a particular view or perspective, especially if there's a total lack of logic, empathy, knowledge or rational thought behind what is being expressed.

I seriously struggle with conspiracy theorists and those that express an opinion without any willingness to back up their viewpoint with a tangible argument as to why they feel a certain way. The whole 'I think that way because I can' sentiment, without the appearance of any explanation. That to me is more closed minded than someone who seems unwilling to accept another view.

Own your opinions and be willing to explain the thought process behind them and you'll find more people accept your view even if they don't agree with you one bit.

By *ealitybitesMan 30 weeks ago

Belfast

It depends really on what the view is.

Something I have no experience of then yes I might consider accepting someone else's view.

Something I have lots of experience of then no I won't accept someone else's view from afar or if it's something they read in a book.

By *essaMayWoman 30 weeks ago

Fairytale Wood

Depends on the context, people are very flexible in their views in a lot of cases when it suits and who they are trying to impress.

There is a politics forum but people try and force their own political view on others where ever there is social gathering.

I would say judging by a lot of the threads, people have become far less open minded and willingness to accept others opinions and views. This is probably as the scene has become far more mainstream and lot more with their own agendas. Just my thoughts

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 30 weeks ago

Leeds

I like seeing things from other people's point of views it's interesting to see how we differ on the same subject.

It doesn't mean I have to agree with others but I appreciate their views on things if I've asked or it's a general conversation, some people aren't educated to answer correctly on certain subjects however their views are still noted.

I don't appreciate people's views on something personal or myself when I haven't asked, those type of views can get shoved up ones arse.

Mrs

By *ellhungvweMan 30 weeks ago

Cheltenham

Everyone _thinks_ they are open minded and willing to listen to different views. The fact that they then immediately give a list of things that they are not willing to engage on or entertain is kind of amusing.

I don’t think _anyone_ is as open minded as they would like to think they are.

By *batMan 30 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I worry about the social media affect.

You look at something and it leads to something else. But it’s usually in a similar vein as that’s how those things are linked. If you’re not careful, all you get is one side of the story and that can reinforce a given view. I’ve seen it lead to some very entrenched views.

Sadly, when some people say they’ve “done their research” it can often mean they’ve just looked at a ton of stuff that may or may not be true, but reinforces their original view.

Gbat

By *essaMayWoman 30 weeks ago

Fairytale Wood

"Communication is easy, just tell people what they want to hear"

Isn't this the basis of all media and communications. Media will taylor their own biases in articles in such a way to appeal their reader base and reinforce their own readers biases.

Parents imprint on their own children, their own biases in which they take forward to the next generation. It is only when the chain is broken that change occurs, but more often people are set in their historic ways and views and allow themselves to be spoonfed by their peers rather than engage with independent thoughts. Sheeple

By *atnip make me purrWoman 30 weeks ago

Reading

I wont give flat earthers and vax concpiracy theorists time. Its pointless.

By *arlot o scaraWoman 30 weeks ago

Hell

Here’s an oversimplified answer for an oversimplified question

Yes and no.

We’re living in a time where we have to respect other people’s opinions and that they’re entitled to them and I really disagree with that. That means, I have to accept opinions and views from people who know nothing about the subject they’ve somehow formed an opinion on. How often do you come across someone who says “I don’t know enough about that to have an opinion on it.” It’s not often.

Also, if they’re discriminatory views then I just won’t give them the time of day.

If that makes me the bad guy, then so be it

By *acksparrow99Man 30 weeks ago

Canary Wharf, London

Accept or adopt? I accept other people's view when we are discussing something, trying to come up with a solution, etc. I do not automatically adopt them though. I might, but not immediately unless there is eveidence to support it.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 30 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Yes I accept that each individual has a unique outlook on life and life's events. It's hugely immature and pointless to argue the toss with someone as if you were hitting a tennis ball back and forth.

I know at least one person on here who is lying to themselves about being able to shoulder other people and their views. It's certainly not how they come across.

Very few people are practised in the art of listening ( and I don't mean staying schtum ) I mean learning about others and why they hold the views they do.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 30 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"Yes I accept that each individual has a unique outlook on life and life's events. It's hugely immature and pointless to argue the toss with someone as if you were hitting a tennis ball back and forth.

I know at least one person on here who is lying to themselves about being able to shoulder other people and their views. It's certainly not how they come across.

Very few people are practised in the art of listening ( and I don't mean staying schtum ) I mean learning about others and why they hold the views they do. "

I may have said this before, decades ago when I was at school they had a debating team.

The teacher who ran it always said that before you could challenge someone else’s position you had to have a thorough understanding of any opposing opinion.

By *electableicecreamMan 30 weeks ago

The West

I've always considered the idea of being open to people's views as meaning that one is willing to learn and open to being wrong. It's a position of humility.

I can't imagine anyone on this forum is going to post that they are not open to others view's.

I like the responses that say I am open to others view's unless they are wrong... That's pretty amusing.

By *uzie69xTV/TS 30 weeks ago

Maidstone

"You’re not allowed an opinion on Fab unless it coincides with the leftist “establishment”.

Stop rocking the boat!! "

Haha so your answer is no then?

King's Crustacean

"Yes I accept that each individual has a unique outlook on life and life's events. It's hugely immature and pointless to argue the toss with someone as if you were hitting a tennis ball back and forth.

Very few people are practised in the art of listening ( and I don't mean staying schtum ) I mean learning about others and why they hold the views they do.

I may have said this before, decades ago when I was at school they had a debating team.

The teacher who ran it always said that before you could challenge someone else’s position you had to have a thorough understanding of any opposing opinion. "

Yep true. Those debating aim to win though by vote of an audience or judge. It's batting off the opponents points and putting your points as facts and getting others on your side.

I prefer dialogue, where each listens, thinks and moves their position slightly or remains unchanged.

If each of us engaged in personal development instead of personal gain society as a whole would benefit.

King's Crustacean

but then money talks and no one cares too much for humanity, sadly.

Yes. Because I accept that I don't know enough about anything to be the authority.

The world just isn't black and white, people have their perspectives based on their experiences. I won't always agree but I'll try to listen.

If we didn't listen to others then surely we'd all still be living in caves thinking the fella down the road saying he's discovered fire is talking shit.

"I accept other people are entitled to their views but I don’t need to agree with them.

Each to their own but if their view if overtly offensive or discriminatory I’ve no issue in challenging them over it. "

That is good and yes, one dont need to agree with them.

I can accept other people’s views, it’s when said views are being pushed down your neck that I tend to retaliate

By *eard and BoobsCouple 30 weeks ago

Portstewart

We honestly try to be open to everyone's points of view and if it turns out that we couldn't agree to disagree we would block and move on

"You’re not allowed an opinion on Fab unless it coincides with the leftist “establishment”.

It’s true. People on fab are so left wing

By *olfandtazCouple 30 weeks ago

Bristol

I can listen to others opinions, but I do my research before I form my own and I try to learn other angles of an opinion too. So for someone to change my mind then they want to be as well informed as I am on it at least because I will pick theirs apart

"Here’s an oversimplified answer for an oversimplified question

Yes and no.

We’re living in a time where we have to respect other people’s opinions and that they’re entitled to them and I really disagree with that. That means, I have to accept opinions and views from people who know nothing about the subject they’ve somehow formed an opinion on. How often do you come across someone who says “I don’t know enough about that to have an opinion on it.” It’s not often.

Also, if they’re discriminatory views then I just won’t give them the time of day.

If that makes me the bad guy, then so be it "

Bad guy by Billie Eilish is one of my favourite songs

By *rHotNottsMan 30 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m extremely open minded, open for change & non judgemental. Now more than ever we need listen and often reinvent or pivot But that doesn’t mean giving my attention or accepting things which are offensive. Will all make views & decisions based on a compass, Believing that compass is a concept rather than a muscle is a mistake

By *ealitybitesMan 30 weeks ago

Belfast

The problem with people having views on an online forum is that they are anonymous and we have no way of knowing if those views are ingrained due to personal experience or just because they keep repeating them over and over.

I am less inclined to accept the views of those who use them as their USP on here because as is pretty obvious at times they are always the first to mock an opposing view.

By *rowley616Man 30 weeks ago

Scarborough

Nothing is real. Everything is permitted.

If what you believe is cultural, it is programming

If what you believe is religious, it is programming

If what you believe is National, it is programming.

Everything you know. Everything you think and believe is influenced by environment, experience and teaching.

We need to be free of our subconscious bias to be truly free of our preconceived notions of reality.

Ideally we can always accept other propellers views, but what we are too often on the internet is someone pressing their views, being proven completely wrong by someone who actually has experience/knowledge in the relevant field and the original commenter still insisting that they’re right.

You can’t deal with that level of obstinance.

By *icecouple561Couple 30 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I can accept that people hold a different opinion and I don't get all offended if they do. I don't have to accept they're right though.

Dorchester

"I can accept that people hold a different opinion and I don't get all offended if they do. I don't have to accept they're right though."
exactly and you have the power

Dubai & Nottingham

"If someone doesn’t think Messi is the best footballer of all time, or lebron is the best basketball player of all time then yeah. I can hear them. And I think I’ve even learned so many new things and broadened my perspectives.

If it’s to do with race, I am not gonna lie, it would depend on the person’s experience and their knowledge on it. Like obviously I’m not closed minded, that’s how I have continued to learn about it. But I am less likely to *accept* the views of someone saying something upsetting or insulting.

I think same about other kinds of discrimination tbh. But I think when I am less knowledgeable on it I will likely do more listening than talking. Might not always change my perspective but might question theirs to find out more. Learn more.

When it comes to things like even being a Tory or how people vote I am happy to stay open minded and hear their reasoning. Again I’m unlikely to change my opinion and it’s unlikely we will get on. But I think that is very dependent on their views on things like race, gender, class etc.

I guess to lots of people I probably don’t seem open minded. Though I feel I am and have learned so much in my short 26 years from others. But I’m ok with whatever "

From what you said above you don’t seem very open minded, or at least not much mental elasticity , but like you say only 26.

"If someone doesn’t think Messi is the best footballer of all time, or lebron is the best basketball player of all time then yeah. I can hear them. And I think I’ve even learned so many new things and broadened my perspectives.

I guess to lots of people I probably don’t seem open minded. Though I feel I am and have learned so much in my short 26 years from others. But I’m ok with whatever "

I’m unsure how flexible one should be on race or discrimination. Nobody should accept abhorrent views.

King's Crustacean

"Here’s an oversimplified answer for an oversimplified question

Yes and no.

If that makes me the bad guy, then so be it "

Accept they have an opinion doesn't mean accept that they are right or that you need to change your belief.

They came to their understanding because of their life experiences. Perhaps they lag behind you , perhaps they are way out in front of you or perhaps they lack the mental capacity to change their point of view - they still have an opinion they can't help that.

How did Trump get in ? His supporters aren't generally found in the Genius pool

By *ensuallover1000Man 30 weeks ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

No

By *ellhungvweMan 30 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"

How did Trump get in ? His supporters aren't generally found in the Genius pool"

This is a perfect example of closed mindedness dressed up as superiority. I would _never_ vote for Trump but I can understand what drives people to vote for him. They are not actually voting for him, they are voting because they feel they have been left behind and that he is only one who “cares”. You and I know he doesn’t care but that doesn’t mean that their vote is wrong or stupid - it is a cry for help and us “superior” people are ignoring them. That doesn’t seem open minded to me.

I guess to lots of people I probably don’t seem open minded. Though I feel I am and have learned so much in my short 26 years from others. But I’m ok with whatever

From what you said above you don’t seem very open minded, or at least not much mental elasticity , but like you say only 26. "

I’m ok with you thinking that. And yeah I’m only 26. If I’m lucky enough to live many more years, maybe I’ll change.

I mean my views and opinions on so many things from gender, sexuality, classism, colourism etc have all changed massively because of discussion and learning from others (and studies ofc) and it’s the main reason I lost my faith and am not religious anymore. Having grown up in a religious family and gone to a faith school. The most that I’ve learned has been from other people’s experiences. And their knowledge. And then my own learning. My views have changed loads like I said, in my relatively short life.

On race, they’re unlikely to change again and I don’t apologise for that.

I’m unsure how flexible one should be on race or discrimination. Nobody should accept abhorrent views."

I think plenty of people want us to be open to hearing the views of bigots. For my own wellbeing I’m ok thanks

Personally I am open minded and I can listen to what others have to say on the subject and then from that I am willing to change my view if it sounds credible. I will say, well there is something init or perhaps you are totally wrong or there are elements on it that you are right on, but not on everything we dont agree on

I think i am - on the points where we disagree i listen politely and sometimes say we'll have to agree to disagree - its not in my nature to be confrontational so i wonder if other people think I'm agreeing with them"

That is good and same here. I listen and I also say we will have to agree to disagree if we dont agree on something

By *ortyairCouple 30 weeks ago

Wallasey

I will listen to other people's point of view and will change my mind if I learn something new that flips the direction of my current thinking.

What I don't like is being told what I must think as a result of someone's life experiences. This argument is weak, flawed and without actual evidence.

I will not think any less repulsed by certain subjects just because a person's who commits heinous acts says it ok because their commiting these acts due to their life experiences.

I don't think anyone should be held responsible for the opinions, deeds or misdemeanours of their forebears. I'm not saying don't forget the past, or learn from it but don't try and hold me accountable if I didn't do it.

So like I said I will try and listen to other opinions but I'm not open minded in all areas but I suspect most people are the same,

Mrs x

"I am happy to listen to the views of others and at times I will change my opinion if the evidence supports it ie politics but if the opinion is based more on feelings/beliefs ie religion then I will listen but that is all."

This. I am open to learning from others knowledge/ expertise/ experiences and will change my mind or agree to disagree. If it's a fundamental core value for me, I don't waiver on it, equally if I think something is inaccurate or unacceptable I'll share my opinion to that effect.

I have close friends with fundamental different political opinions and we respect our differences, but sometimes have spicy debates. I don't think I could be in a relationship with anyone I wasn't aligned with in mindset/ values, though.

I’m unsure how flexible one should be on race or discrimination. Nobody should accept abhorrent views.

I think plenty of people want us to be open to hearing the views of bigots. For my own wellbeing I’m ok thanks "

Being open to the opinion of bigots.. great point.

Think the free speech/ feeling offended is a you problem Vs it being a bigoted/ whatever...ist/ discriminatory comment, is a valid issue that comes up where it isn't a black and white topic.

People get more invested in topics that affect them directly or relate to their lived experiences too.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 30 weeks ago

Cumbria

I can accept that people have other opinions, and to a certain extent entertain them but I don’t accept them as being correct. People who are bigoted for instance, I can accept that they are bigots but I don’t accept their opinion in any way.

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m unsure how flexible one should be on race or discrimination. Nobody should accept abhorrent views."

Agree but results often come in surprising ways when you’re open minded & can listen , which is very different from compromising your values

By *gent CoulsonMan 30 weeks ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

It depends on the point of view and context.

As a rule I am a very open minded person though

By *ldgeezermeMan 30 weeks ago

Newcastle

Everyone's open minded

Who'd have thunk that

By *naswingdressWoman 30 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm open minded, but not so open minded my brain falls out.

That may look like I'm stuck in my ways, but it could also be that I've examined the views in question and found them to be... monumentally stupid isn't strong enough a phrase.

King's Crustacean

"

This is a perfect example of closed mindedness dressed up as superiority. I would _never_ vote for Trump but I can understand what drives people to vote for him. They are not actually voting for him, they are voting because they feel they have been left behind and that he is only one who “cares”. You and I know he doesn’t care but that doesn’t mean that their vote is wrong or stupid - it is a cry for help and us “superior” people are ignoring them. That doesn’t seem open minded to me."

I understand the point of view you present for yourself and understand that it demonstrates your thoughts and not mine.

King's Crustacean

"I'm open minded, but not so open minded my brain falls out.

That may look like I'm stuck in my ways, but it could also be that I've examined the views in question and found them to be... monumentally stupid isn't strong enough a phrase."

Fucking ridiculous ?

Manchester (she/her)

That may look like I'm stuck in my ways, but it could also be that I've examined the views in question and found them to be... monumentally stupid isn't strong enough a phrase.

Fucking ridiculous ? "

Nah. Still way off

As long as no conflict happens. It is healthy to disagree but we learn to compromise

That may look like I'm stuck in my ways, but it could also be that I've examined the views in question and found them to be... monumentally stupid isn't strong enough a phrase."

Ah you described it perfectly to me the other day

By *avinaTVTV/TS 30 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

No.

No one is right except you and me OP.

And you're a bit wrong, too.

Manchester (she/her)

Ah you described it perfectly to me the other day "

By *batMan 30 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I think it's important that we respect other people's right to hold a differing view, but that certainly doesn't mean we have to respect the actual view they hold.

Gbat

By *ad NannaWoman 30 weeks ago

East London

I can understand why people have differing views. I can respect them, but I don't have to accept them.

By *oodmessMan 30 weeks ago

yumsville

Without differing views you don't know if you hold judgement. If we aren't held to account by people we don't get along with, if we don't engage in conversation we don't like to have, the world falls apart when those conversations are had. Taking on someone's point of view leads to understanding but it doesn't mean your opinion changes, the overall narrative might for both sides but it doesn't necessitate a change of opinion.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 30 weeks ago

North West

Each to their own but if their view if overtly offensive or discriminatory I’ve no issue in challenging them over it.

Pretty much this.

There's a big difference between accepting and respecting views in my mind. I do also sometimes struggle to comprehend the thought process that some seem to use in deciding on a particular view or perspective, especially if there's a total lack of logic, empathy, knowledge or rational thought behind what is being expressed.

I seriously struggle with conspiracy theorists and those that express an opinion without any willingness to back up their viewpoint with a tangible argument as to why they feel a certain way. The whole 'I think that way because I can' sentiment, without the appearance of any explanation. That to me is more closed minded than someone who seems unwilling to accept another view.

Own your opinions and be willing to explain the thought process behind them and you'll find more people accept your view even if they don't agree with you one bit. "

Obi, this is pretty much my view too. Also I'm a scientist, I like empirical data, evidence, information. I struggle with "just because" as an argument or to validate something. An opinion is not fact.

More often than not, no.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS 30 weeks ago

Stockport

I am always willing to learn new things, and happy to listen to other people's viewpoints on a matter. BUT only if (a) on matters if opinion, it's not mindless bigotry based upon absence of experience or upon lies and hatred (b) on matters of fact, there is concrete evidence rather than "my mate down the pub" or "the authorities cover it up but I've done my research on youtube" (c) it's not the spoutings of a nutcase.

By *eliWoman 30 weeks ago

Accept they have them? Sure.

Accept them as in agree with them? Yeah, that's not a sure.

I like listening to others. Learning how other people see the world, their thoughts and feelings. For the most part I try to be fairly open minded when it comes to that. It doesn't mean I have to think someone is right. Nor that I am.

As long as no conflict happens. It is healthy to disagree but we learn to compromise "

Hi becs, you are right there, as long as no conflict happens and yes, it is healthy to disagree too

By *ddie1966Man 30 weeks ago

Paper Town Central, Essex.

I can accept other people have views, but I don't necessarily accept their views.

By *agerMorganMan 30 weeks ago

Canvey Island

Can I accept that other people have different views? Sure.

Can I tolerate it when someone’s views call for violence, harm etc against an individual group or race? Absolutely not.

By *uby StarCouple 30 weeks ago

Durham

I can fully respect other people have differing opinions and views but it doesn't mean I have to agree with them. I can always agree to disagree and move on. I enjoy listening to people's different points of view on subjects, it's what helps in making us all different, it would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions and views.

By *ex HolesMan 30 weeks ago

Up North

No

By *ister_EMan 30 weeks ago

Hayling Island

Depends on the subject and the views.... I simply will not tolerate someone sharing racist or bigoted views or opinions to me or around me for example. But I am quite happy to agree to disagree on many controversial subjects like religion, politics, marmite or even if milk goes into a teacup first or not

By *amieLDN22Man 30 weeks ago

London

[Removed by poster at 23/02/24 00:23:44]

By *amieLDN22Man 30 weeks ago

London

You can take a donkey to water but you can't make the fella drink.

By *heekyDemandCouple 30 weeks ago

Leicester

It depends, a lot of time people say "That's my opinion" or "Only in your opinion" when it's not an opinion subject. Objective reality still applies, I say 2+2=4 and someone says "In your opinion" they are clearly idiots. You can have an opinion but you can't have your own facts.

By *oubleswing2019Man 30 weeks ago

Colchester

"

This is a perfect example of closed mindedness dressed up as superiority. I would _never_ vote for Trump but I can understand what drives people to vote for him. They are not actually voting for him, they are voting because they feel they have been left behind and that he is only one who “cares”. You and I know he doesn’t care but that doesn’t mean that their vote is wrong or stupid - it is a cry for help and us “superior” people are ignoring them. That doesn’t seem open minded to me."

It's interesting to observe that even though he is a multi-millionaire, even though he's got innumerable court cases against him, even though he's a complete demagogue with scandal after scandal following him, despite all that, he still has supporters.

And that worries me greatly.

Because it essentially says, regardless of character, morals, actions, or wealth, that if you speak for those who feel, rightly or wrongly, aggrieved, they will follow you.

And it worries me because when did people stop caring about morals, integrity, honour, probity, etc ?

There was a time these things mattered. When we demanded them of our leaders. Judged them accordingly for them.

And I can only conclude 2 things from that.

1. The people are SO aggrieved, they are willing to look the other way, and support their politicians blindly if need be, so long as they speak for them

or

2. The people are selfish and value their needs and wants above the leader's own indiscretions.

The problem is, the citizens in 1. Are they "good citizens"? Are they not complicit ? If you created a new country tomorrow, would you want these people who turn a blind eye to terrible things, to be part of the make up of said country ?

And if they are 2, would you want a country of people who would support any leader, regardless of probity, provided they gave them what they wanted ?

It's murky at best.

Colchester

"It depends, a lot of time people say "That's my opinion" or "Only in your opinion" when it's not an opinion subject. Objective reality still applies, I say 2+2=4 and someone says "In your opinion" they are clearly idiots. You can have an opinion but you can't have your own facts."

It's context though isn't it ?

You might indeed say 2x2=4, and arithmetically speaking you would be correct.

But suppose I don't use your mathematical system and I use Ternary, as an example instead ? In my system, 2x2=11. You are clearly wrong. I am not aware of your system at all.

Some people, myself included, as ND, spend most of our lives wondering on earth what the heck other people are on about most of the time. And it's not just ND's of course. Every one has their own numerical system.

That's all life is really. Mathematically-challenged primates all yelling at each other and trying to figure out how each of us counts

Leicester

"It depends, a lot of time people say "That's my opinion" or "Only in your opinion" when it's not an opinion subject. Objective reality still applies, I say 2+2=4 and someone says "In your opinion" they are clearly idiots. You can have an opinion but you can't have your own facts.

It's context though isn't it ?

You might indeed say 2x2=4, and arithmetically speaking you would be correct.

But suppose I don't use your mathematical system and I use Ternary, as an example instead ? In my system, 2x2=11. You are clearly wrong. I am not aware of your system at all.

Some people, myself included, as ND, spend most of our lives wondering on earth what the heck other people are on about most of the time. And it's not just ND's of course. Every one has their own numerical system.

That's all life is really. Mathematically-challenged primates all yelling at each other and trying to figure out how each of us counts

"

That was just an example, but you can find others. Denying the existence of a coffee table, you really can believe hard enough but when you put a mug full of hot drink it will still be there, the opinion that it doesn't exist doesn't make it so.

Colchester

"

That was just an example, but you can find others. Denying the existence of a coffee table, you really can believe hard enough but when you put a mug full of hot drink it will still be there, the opinion that it doesn't exist doesn't make it so."

Oh indeed. Manifestly the table is there, in real space. We both know what it is, and what it does. We can agree on it's purpose.

However, consider a 2-dimensional being. They do not see a table (though it is manifestly there). They see a line.

As you put down the coffee cup (a nice blend I hope !), they see a U shaped flat ceramic object rest upon the line.

They have no concept of 3D.

Whilst the objects to you and me are both undeniable in shape and purpose, our 2D "friend" is having a hard time reconciling our understanding.

(And looking through the window (tomorrow) on this "scene" is our 4D friend.

It's all getting a bit "Dali", isn't it

"If someone doesn’t think Messi is the best footballer of all time"

That’s because Pele was the greatest footballer of all time and he was black.

By *igboobstCouple 30 weeks ago

barrow

Depends if I agree with their views

Dorchester

No absolutely not

I would accept others views, if they weren’t talking bullshit all the time.

Dorchester

"I would accept others views, if they weren’t talking bullshit all the time. "
its all bullshit woody

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 30 weeks ago

Leeds

No it’s my way or the highway, the world revolves around my self entitlement, did you not get the government text ?

The mr

By *erri_kissesTV/TS 30 weeks ago

Islington

You’ve been on the Tory voter dominated politics page, right? It’s like a RW bin fire of people who want to make themselves the most unfuckable on the site.

By *orny-DJMan 30 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

Do I accept that other people have a right to voice their views or opinions?

Absolutely

Some I will agree with, others I will not.

But just because someone holds a particular view, opinion or belief doesn't necessarily make them right.

It's when people believe their opinions to be as important as facts that I have a problem

Leicester

If someone provides a compelling argument, backed up with reason, logic and facts then more than happy to see things from someone else's point of view. But shouting bullshit is not going to work.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 30 weeks ago

chichester

I’ll listen to other views but I don’t need to accept them. But everyone is entitled to saying theirs

"I would accept others views, if they weren’t talking bullshit all the time. its all bullshit woody "

Narrator - That’s what I keep telling him!!!

By *r_reusMan 30 weeks ago

Coventry

Both the well informed and the stupid are confident in their views, but the latter a bit more so.

By *hagTonight OP   Man 29 weeks ago

"Depends if I agree with their views "
Yes, it depends on that too

By *obilebottomMan 29 weeks ago

All over

You don't have to but they can have them

By *adbod2godbodMan 29 weeks ago

Manchester

In the words of Brian Clough "they can come in, have a cup of tea, we can talk about it for 10 minutes and decide I was right"

[Removed by poster at 01/03/24 09:38:09]

I am happy to listen to the views of others and at times I will change my opinion if the evidence supports it ie politics but if the opinion is based more on feelings/beliefs ie religion then I will listen but that is all."

Hi mischief, yes, those are also good points too

By *b03Man 29 weeks ago

Honiton

I'd argue just being in this sort of community/lifestyle would require people to be more open minded than most!

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple 29 weeks ago

Coventry

I think it's getting harder for people in general to be open hearing others arguments. Even in our education system they talk about the value of differing opinions, freedom of expression and making your own mind. Yet the "wrong" personal opinion or deviation can land you in very hot water. Which doesn't help people with alternative veiws enter the ring of ideas to challenge them and thus helps fixate position.

We all seem to want to find find a role to play and a side in this uncertain world (often this is unconscious). Its human nature, especially in times of uncertainty and huge change. So we sometimes, quite knowing filter and ignore other arguments.

I was listening to a piece on how to tackle Russian propaganda and Russian public opinion. The same ideas of relevance for Western politics and tackling the Americans Alt-Right/Trumpism, the "progressive" left and other such movements came up. The main point was followers who are fixated into a role will not take in other opinions regardless of the validity/weight of information (however much they may claim they do). So forget about presenting well formulated arguments or trying to preach to them, they won't listen, simple as that. The only way to degrade their faith in their chosen role is to be far more subversive with your aproach. They used an example of the British fake German Radio stations that pose to be NAZI opinion and subversively poke at societal cracks such hypocrisy or corruption within the NAZI leadership. By posing as the voice of true NAZI's the subtlety undermine the NAZI movement not by preaching and telling followers their bad/wrong (generally people don't see themselves as the bad guys). They undermine it by presenting faults and failures in a way that will be listened to and which leads followers to question the system themselves and doth maths.

By *rill PhilMan 29 weeks ago

Crediton

I'm one of these odd people who, not only actively seeks out communication with people who have different opinions to me, I'll also learn and change my mind based on new information! A sadly rare breed we are these days!

I will argue my point strongly though. If you want me to change my opinion, you'll need to work for it and have good, strong arguments.

I'll be trying to change your mind too don't forget.

The art I feel people have lost in the modern world, is the ability to agree to disagree and still be friends, or even civil to each other.

If I couldn't do that, I'd have even fewer people in my life prepared to put up with me!

By *rill PhilMan 29 weeks ago

Crediton

"I think it's getting harder for people in general to be open hearing others arguments. Even in our education system they talk about the value of differing opinions, freedom of expression and making your own mind. Yet the "wrong" personal opinion or deviation can land you in very hot water. Which doesn't help people with alternative veiws enter the ring of ideas to challenge them and thus helps fixate position.

We all seem to want to find find a role to play and a side in this uncertain world (often this is unconscious). Its human nature, especially in times of uncertainty and huge change. So we sometimes, quite knowing filter and ignore other arguments.

I was listening to a piece on how to tackle Russian propaganda and Russian public opinion. The same ideas of relevance for Western politics and tackling the Americans Alt-Right/Trumpism, the "progressive" left and other such movements came up. The main point was followers who are fixated into a role will not take in other opinions regardless of the validity/weight of information (however much they may claim they do). So forget about presenting well formulated arguments or trying to preach to them, they won't listen, simple as that. The only way to degrade their faith in their chosen role is to be far more subversive with your aproach. They used an example of the British fake German Radio stations that pose to be NAZI opinion and subversively poke at societal cracks such hypocrisy or corruption within the NAZI leadership. By posing as the voice of true NAZI's the subtlety undermine the NAZI movement not by preaching and telling followers their bad/wrong (generally people don't see themselves as the bad guys). They undermine it by presenting faults and failures in a way that will be listened to and which leads followers to question the system themselves and doth maths."

Does anyone who commits acts of evil see themselves as the bad guy?

Just interested in your take on that because, I feel people get the idea that people like Hitler woke up in the morning, wringing his hands, twiddling his mustache and saying things like "I wonder what act of pure evil I can enact today!?" Like the villain in a cheesy 80s cartoon.

I don't think anyone objectively bad sees themselves that way. Hitler for example, he didn't just think he was doing the right thing, he thought he was doing the ONLY thing.

I guess it's easier to see people as self aware villains because it means we can see them that way without having to consider the tragic reality... given the right circumstances, anyone can be truly evil.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple 29 weeks ago

Coventry

"I think it's getting harder for people in general to be open hearing others arguments. Even in our education system they talk about the value of differing opinions, freedom of expression and making your own mind. Yet the "wrong" personal opinion or deviation can land you in very hot water. Which doesn't help people with alternative veiws enter the ring of ideas to challenge them and thus helps fixate position.

I was listening to a piece on how to tackle Russian propaganda and Russian public opinion. The same ideas of relevance for Western politics and tackling the Americans Alt-Right/Trumpism, the "progressive" left and other such movements came up. The main point was followers who are fixated into a role will not take in other opinions regardless of the validity/weight of information (however much they may claim they do). So forget about presenting well formulated arguments or trying to preach to them, they won't listen, simple as that. The only way to degrade their faith in their chosen role is to be far more subversive with your aproach. They used an example of the British fake German Radio stations that pose to be NAZI opinion and subversively poke at societal cracks such hypocrisy or corruption within the NAZI leadership. By posing as the voice of true NAZI's the subtlety undermine the NAZI movement not by preaching and telling followers their bad/wrong (generally people don't see themselves as the bad guys). They undermine it by presenting faults and failures in a way that will be listened to and which leads followers to question the system themselves and doth maths.

Does anyone who commits acts of evil see themselves as the bad guy?

Just interested in your take on that because, I feel people get the idea that people like Hitler woke up in the morning, wringing his hands, twiddling his mustache and saying things like "I wonder what act of pure evil I can enact today!?" Like the villain in a cheesy 80s cartoon.

I don't think anyone objectively bad sees themselves that way. Hitler for example, he didn't just think he was doing the right thing, he thought he was doing the ONLY thing.

I guess it's easier to see people as self aware villains because it means we can see them that way without having to consider the tragic reality... given the right circumstances, anyone can be truly evil."

And this is why when people are ideologically invested you can't simply preach to them a counter argument because they are the good guy (in their mindset) and will ignore it. So in reference to the question they will not take on ides counter to their ideology. Hence why to challenge such people you have to be more subversive to your aproach and have an understanding of where they are coming from (be able to put yourself in their shoes). Just telling them their bad and even presenting them with good evidence is a kin to banging your head on a brick wall. Which of course is very frustrating when weight of evidence and rationality clearly indicates they are wrong. Because as much as some like to say truth is subjective or project a post-truth world some things are clear as day right and wrong. So I think some people really struggle to understand how people can be so invested in a ideology thats clearly wrong. And this is why they often fail to challenge such ideology, especially when it is backed by a State and/or powerful media outlets.

By *hagTonight OP   Man 24 weeks ago

"Depends on the context, people are very flexible in their views in a lot of cases when it suits and who they are trying to impress.

There is a politics forum but people try and force their own political view on others where ever there is social gathering.

I would say judging by a lot of the threads, people have become far less open minded and willingness to accept others opinions and views. This is probably as the scene has become far more mainstream and lot more with their own agendas. Just my thoughts"

Yes, you are right there, it also depends on the context, yes, they try it in the politics forum too, especially if you have a different view from the agendas like israel to name some of them

By *tylebender03Man 24 weeks ago

Manchester

Yeah put it’s got to be presented in an intelligent, insightful way

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

Shag

I agree with having a shag you might disagree

By *aulhornyladMan 24 weeks ago

Sunderland

No,never! Lol

By *hiteWitchXXXWoman 24 weeks ago

North Wales

As long as it is constructive and achievable

By *aptain Caveman41Man 24 weeks ago

Home

As long as it makes sense

By *oxy jWoman 24 weeks ago

somerset

firm believer in the freedom of speech and that includes different opinions and ways thats how the world is thats how humans are and have always been ...

too much is controlled now those at the top the media and in some case's whole countries like china north Korea russia

the extremes will always be there far right far left religion and others but we need to know about them to remind us how bad they are..

the media is the biggest problem as they control what you see n hear thats the western world in a nut shell America is one fucked up country along with alot of others uk included

[Removed by poster at 04/04/24 22:04:15]

Shag

I agree with having a shag you might disagree "

Hi becs, yes, you are right there or agree with it

By *eronicaExplorerWoman 24 weeks ago

London

I like to disagree, it means is a really interesting and challenging conversation. But tbh, if we disagree deeply, on a significant topic, I would prefer not to waste my time in an annoying and fruitless discussion. Too old for that.

By *teveAndHisMagicPicklenicMan 3 weeks ago

Ends

"I like to disagree, it means is a really interesting and challenging conversation. But tbh, if we disagree deeply, on a significant topic, I would prefer not to waste my time in an annoying and fruitless discussion. Too old for that. "

👵🏻

By *ermite12ukMan 3 weeks ago

Solihull and Brentwood

Having lived with a landlady who thinks Trump is the Messiah and other such anomalies, which I tend to extract the urine. Nope. But some of her views, I agree with. So yes & no.

By *ools and the brainCouple 3 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

No, because everyone else are always wrong.

» Add a new message to this topic