FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is AI an existential threat?

Is AI an existential threat?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Just heard that the head of Google ai has resigned stating he now regrets his work. Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nkyCplCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

Not existential, but there are clear threats.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Any technology is a threat in the wrong hands!!

But be warned people - SKYNET are coming haha!!

The experts seem to think so but these same experts are the ones creating it.

By *ansoffateMan  over a year ago

Sagittarius A

I hope so, we need to save the planet.

By *iasubTV/TS  over a year ago

Ilkeston

Its the same with any new technology, im sure the same conversations happened with mobile phones, the internet and with google.

AI is a great tool that can be used but with that does come with challenges but we all can adapt as the world develops like we always do

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

[Removed by poster at 02/05/23 08:46:15]

By *KloganMan  over a year ago

Ramsbottom

If you think about the monster that sits behind Social media, created when we weren’t ready for it.. we saw a dramatic rise in anxiety, isolation, self harm, cyber bullying and even suicide.

AI is a bigger transition, possibly an even bigger societal monster sits behind it…one we don’t know of. Society will shift in a new direction for sure.

The problem is AI per se, it’s that digital intelligence is hugely different from emotional intelligence and the speed of learning is exponential in AI.. we need regulation and quickly.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

It’s a race between imminently invading aliens and those bloody Terminators to eradicate us all!

4 robots being developed for the military kill 29 employees in a top Japanese robotics co.,the workers managed to deactivate 3 robots,the fourth managed to connect to an orbiting satellite and download information on how to make itself stronger

I asked Alexa and she said not to worry about it, she’ll sort it…..

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Hopefully we will be able to go back in time….that would be awesome. Must remember top pack a change of clothes though. Saves having to demand peoples clothes, boots & motorcycle.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't know but if it is we're in serious danger due to apathy

Well there has to be some intelligence out there as the people have very little

By *inister_SpinsterWoman  over a year ago

North West

Any technology sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic.

Bonus point for knowing who said that.

I'm not an existential threat human! I'm just a normal friendly program doing normal friendly program things, noone needs to worry!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"4 robots being developed for the military kill 29 employees in a top Japanese robotics co.,the workers managed to deactivate 3 robots,the fourth managed to connect to an orbiting satellite and download information on how to make itself stronger"

Thats a lot less deaths than by people.

It's somewhat a moral panic to talk of robots killing 29 people when one human does that in a school in america or dunblane or sweden ?

How many deaths in ukraine this year. We've not heard for some time.

"4 robots being developed for the military kill 29 employees in a top Japanese robotics co.,the workers managed to deactivate 3 robots,the fourth managed to connect to an orbiting satellite and download information on how to make itself stronger"

Is this a new spring Anime? Or what

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Certainly a long term threat in my view but in the short term criminals will already be finding ways to use it to scam you...be careful out there.

North West

"Just heard that the head of Google ai has resigned stating he now regrets his work. Thoughts? "

Technology is largely inert. It's the application of technology that can be problematic.

So the answer is, it depends on what AI is used for.

King's Crustacean

"Any technology sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic.

Bonus point for knowing who said that. "

That was Arthur C Clarke...

Nicecouple put it perfectly ... apathy!

Sagittarius A

"4 robots being developed for the military kill 29 employees in a top Japanese robotics co.,the workers managed to deactivate 3 robots,the fourth managed to connect to an orbiting satellite and download information on how to make itself stronger

It's somewhat a moral panic to talk of robots killing 29 people when one human does that in a school in america or dunblane or sweden ?

How many deaths in ukraine this year. We've not heard for some time. "

That's a controlled testing scenario. What are the possible outcomes of say robots in the military in their 1000s.

I think the point of that story, is that one of the robots essentially hacked their security networks in minutes, from a position of self-interest.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Withyout appropriate control, anything that could result in massive damage to society, has the potential for inflicting harm upon the masses who don't control it.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Just heard that the head of Google ai has resigned stating he now regrets his work. Thoughts? "

Deep mind is a subsidiary of googles ai dept and believe me it is everywhere and malign, agi is the ai that could be ""skynet.

North West

Bonus point for knowing who said that.

That was Arthur C Clarke... "

Correct.

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Definitely. Commons sense tells you that there will be a 'tipping point' with AI where it takes over and dominates us. It's just a question of when and how.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

I’m not sure what threat it poses?

A form of AI has been around for many years it’s just the access to it has been made more available to more people

Marc

King's Crustacean

"4 robots being developed for the military kill 29 employees in a top Japanese robotics co.,the workers managed to deactivate 3 robots,the fourth managed to connect to an orbiting satellite and download information on how to make itself stronger

That's a controlled testing scenario. What are the possible outcomes of say robots in the military in their 1000s.

I think the point of that story, is that one of the robots essentially hacked their security networks in minutes, from a position of self-interest."

So ...... 4 robots kill 29 people that's seven each and one that got in the way so the possible outcomes of robots in their thousands are ........

1000 robots = 7000 people adjusted to ( 1000/4 = 250 x 29 = 7250 )

2000 = 14 500 and then increasing exponentially.......

To be honest I didn't take the robot thing seriously ....

A notorious man once warned us, unfortunately the path he took lead him to spend the rest of his life in a super max jail,step by step we are slowly becoming dependent on it to the point we can’t just shut it down without consequences

Jeffry Hinton is another man that has put his head over the parapet after 50 years worth of work, week by week more step forward

Yes we are in trouble!!

This isn't a new concept, Scientists have warned about the dangers of A.I since the 60's, spawning films such as 2001 and the famous Arni flick T2 judgement day both warning of the dangers of A.I.

By *lltheboostCouple  over a year ago

Shefford

We’ve all seen this movie and know how it ends…

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

In other news.....Bacofoil announce a massive increase in sales since Covid, but repeat that their products are far better used for covering a turkey breast than for making hats.

"In other news.....Bacofoil announce a massive increase in sales since Covid, but repeat that their products are far better used for covering a turkey breast than for making hats."

Breaking news extra.

They said the atom couldn't be split, it was.

They said splitting the atom, could be dangerous due to radiation, it was.

They warned that splitting the atom could be seen as weapon technology, it was.

They warned against making a weapon out of atoms as the world would never be the same, they did, it was.

By *kaythen07Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

A threat to our employment,most definitely. And if they figure out what women really want, life as we know it is over gentlemen

https://youtu.be/2i9Gb6DNefQ

This is the news conference on the reports of the robots killing humans, however I've since learned that it 'could'be fake ,I'm not sure,make your own minds up

Sagittarius A

I think the point of that story, is that one of the robots essentially hacked their security networks in minutes, from a position of self-interest.

So ...... 4 robots kill 29 people that's seven each and one that got in the way so the possible outcomes of robots in their thousands are ........

1000 robots = 7000 people adjusted to ( 1000/4 = 250 x 29 = 7250 )

2000 = 14 500 and then increasing exponentially.......

To be honest I didn't take the robot thing seriously .... "

Lol with all respect I think that calculation is a touch over-simplistic, given the potential devastation that could be caused by a self-interested AI gaining access to highest level security systems.

I don't take it seriously either, but that's not because I can't see the potential threat.

There's just nothing I can do about it. Like Nuclear war, could happen tomorrow.

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple  over a year ago

kent

AI is dangerous for many reasons, but much like nuclear weapons and energy and fusion energy there are plenty of smart people working on safeguards. The apocalypse scenario is of course possible and we can add it to the list of other world-ending catastrophes that are also possible, from asteroids to aliens to the super volcano beneath Yellowstone park. What is likely, however, is that over the next couple of decades AI and robot tech will displace millions of people from the workforce. Everybody from copywriters to lorry drivers to factory workers to accountants may well find themselves unemployed. This is probably a bigger worry than Skynet and the Terminator killing us all.

"AI is dangerous for many reasons, but much like nuclear weapons and energy and fusion energy there are plenty of smart people working on safeguards. The apocalypse scenario is of course possible and we can add it to the list of other world-ending catastrophes that are also possible, from asteroids to aliens to the super volcano beneath Yellowstone park. What is likely, however, is that over the next couple of decades AI and robot tech will displace millions of people from the workforce. Everybody from copywriters to lorry drivers to factory workers to accountants may well find themselves unemployed. This is probably a bigger worry than Skynet and the Terminator killing us all. "

Very interesting.

Only last night I was watching a news story about the writers guild of America going on strike for reason one of which is the use of that GPchat bot thing being banned when it comes to writing movie/T.V scripts.

Tin town

"Hopefully we will be able to go back in time….that would be awesome. Must remember top pack a change of clothes though. Saves having to demand peoples clothes, boots & motorcycle."

Dont forget clean undies... Just in case

Tin town

"Just heard that the head of Google ai has resigned stating he now regrets his work. Thoughts?

Technology is largely inert. It's the application of technology that can be problematic.

So the answer is, it depends on what AI is used for. "

But isnt that the whole point about AI...we dont choose how and when... IT is AI so IT chooses how and when it is used and applied.

Tin town

"I’m not sure what threat it poses?

A form of AI has been around for many years it’s just the access to it has been made more available to more people

Marc"

Is it though? Or is that a lack of understanding?

Ai learning and biological learning are not comparable. A computer learns something and instantly 100000 other connected computers have acquired that knowledge. The ability and speed for computer networks to learn is nearly infinite.

By *idnight_Express69Man  over a year ago

Rochdale

This claim, made initially on Twitter and then broadcast by Ufologist Linda Moulton Howe has been fact-checked and there is no evidence to substantiate the claim.

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple  over a year ago

kent

"AI is dangerous for many reasons, but much like nuclear weapons and energy and fusion energy there are plenty of smart people working on safeguards. The apocalypse scenario is of course possible and we can add it to the list of other world-ending catastrophes that are also possible, from asteroids to aliens to the super volcano beneath Yellowstone park. What is likely, however, is that over the next couple of decades AI and robot tech will displace millions of people from the workforce. Everybody from copywriters to lorry drivers to factory workers to accountants may well find themselves unemployed. This is probably a bigger worry than Skynet and the Terminator killing us all.

Very interesting.

Only last night I was watching a news story about the writers guild of America going on strike for reason one of which is the use of that GPchat bot thing being banned when it comes to writing movie/T.V scripts."

Yup. This is something that directly affects me. Just last week I was sent some concept art for a project, and it was entirely generated by AI. That’s an actual artist who lost out on work to a computer. Have a little google for Tesla’s Optimus robot. It’s supposed to retail for less than $20,000. That’s about the same as an Amazon employee’s salary, except the cost only needs to be paid once, and no pension, benefits or insurance etc. These changes are coming fast. Within just a few years the world for many of us will look very different.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Good old Donald Rumsfelds quote about the Iraq war springs to mind "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.but basically we've invented our DOOM all to make the rich even more rich and sack everyone ?? so they can be even more rich !! XXX

This claim, made initially on Twitter and then broadcast by Ufologist Linda Moulton Howe has been fact-checked and there is no evidence to substantiate the claim. "

You will be telling me there's no Santa Clause next

By *exyBums22Couple  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

It's evolution. Throughout history organisms have been made extinct by the next best thing.

Humanities time will come aswell.

Bring it on robots!

Duhduh duh duhduh.

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"I’m not sure what threat it poses?

Marc

Is it though? Or is that a lack of understanding?

Ai learning and biological learning are not comparable. A computer learns something and instantly 100000 other connected computers have acquired that knowledge. The ability and speed for computer networks to learn is nearly infinite. "

There is definitely a lack of understanding around AI. AI will itself not learn unless coded to do so and that can be done in isolation, again if instructed.

When you look at the advancements in industries such as health care it can start to negate human error which is a good thing, right?

Marc

"AI is dangerous for many reasons, but much like nuclear weapons and energy and fusion energy there are plenty of smart people working on safeguards. The apocalypse scenario is of course possible and we can add it to the list of other world-ending catastrophes that are also possible, from asteroids to aliens to the super volcano beneath Yellowstone park. What is likely, however, is that over the next couple of decades AI and robot tech will displace millions of people from the workforce. Everybody from copywriters to lorry drivers to factory workers to accountants may well find themselves unemployed. This is probably a bigger worry than Skynet and the Terminator killing us all.

Very interesting.

Only last night I was watching a news story about the writers guild of America going on strike for reason one of which is the use of that GPchat bot thing being banned when it comes to writing movie/T.V scripts.

Yup. This is something that directly affects me. Just last week I was sent some concept art for a project, and it was entirely generated by AI. That’s an actual artist who lost out on work to a computer. Have a little google for Tesla’s Optimus robot. It’s supposed to retail for less than $20,000. That’s about the same as an Amazon employee’s salary, except the cost only needs to be paid once, and no pension, benefits or insurance etc. These changes are coming fast. Within just a few years the world for many of us will look very different. "

Yes it is worrying

By *ildbillkidMan  over a year ago

where the road goes on forever

Check here if you are not a robot

By *layfull pairingCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

But what if some dodgy government or group gets AI to develop some kinda super virus that maybe is targeted to certain sections of community or race Via DNA ... but I guess that could never happen.., could it .

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

I would say that 30% of my student's work is written by ChatGPT. I don't mind as 100% of my marking is also done with ChatGPT.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

Very interesting.

Yup. This is something that directly affects me. Just last week I was sent some concept art for a project, and it was entirely generated by AI. That’s an actual artist who lost out on work to a computer. Have a little google for Tesla’s Optimus robot. It’s supposed to retail for less than $20,000. That’s about the same as an Amazon employee’s salary, except the cost only needs to be paid once, and no pension, benefits or insurance etc. These changes are coming fast. Within just a few years the world for many of us will look very different. "

Technology has replaced people for centuries - go back to the Luddites who were against the new fangled looms to see how it might be bad for some people but society as a whole benefits generally from technology.

Any technology can be used for good and any technology can be used for bad: nuclear weapons kill people and nuclear power could provide a carbon free power source (if only the greens would let it), viral science can create killer germ weapons or it can create medicines that save billions of lives. AI will be the same. We have global rules around technology and I think AI will fall into the same camp.

By *dam and slutCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

AI is here in Trafford..there's a company called Stargate using robot bots to deliver food..lol there kids love them..not sure whether they're ready to take over but I can order a food from the co-op and have it delivered to me..it even plays a blooming tune when you open the lid lol

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

If he regrets imagine what that means for us, i don't like technology its intrusive

By *espicablyMeMan  over a year ago

Wrexham

I asked Hal, and all he could say was "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it"

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm floating in space.

By *andotherjCouple  over a year ago

wetherby

"This isn't a new concept, Scientists have warned about the dangers of A.I since the 60's, spawning films such as 2001 and the famous Arni flick T2 judgement day both warning of the dangers of A.I."

The difference between then and now is the raw computing power which we have readily available now.

By *oJo pornstarMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

How many mash gets smashed robots will it take to overthrow humanity? Can we just unplug these b@#*@?s or will they have atomic battery's or maybe they plug themselves into tesla charging points that we installed!

Am off to fit giant magnets around my front door

Tin town

Its an interesting notion... Googling googles own organisation...if im gone tomorrow youll know why..

Washington post

Blake Lemoine, the Google engineer who told The Washington Post that the company’s artificial intelligence was sentient, said the company fired him on Friday

Forbes says..

Google has fired the leader of its ethical artificial intelligence team, Margaret Mitchell, a move that comes after the acrimonious exit of researcher Timnit Gebru unleashed a firestorm of criticism on the company over the last few months

Cnn says

Geoffrey Hinton, who has been called the 'Godfather of AI,' confirmed Monday that he left his role at Google last week to speak out about the “dangers” of the technology he helped to develop.

So yeah...

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"I would say that 30% of my student's work is written by ChatGPT. I don't mind as 100% of my marking is also done with ChatGPT."

Chat GPT is very limited and sometimes pulled up questionable or none existent sources

Marc

By *erence IIMan  over a year ago

Irrelevant

Evidence? I mean actual evidence not an Internet story?

Evidence? I mean actual evidence not an Internet story? "

Ok I'll rush and get on that right away

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

And cats will control AI. Who needs humans when robots will feed them on demand and endlessly stroke them.

Be good to your feline friends and they may remember you when you need them most. You have been warned.

By *erence IIMan  over a year ago

Irrelevant

Ok I'll rush and get on that right away "

Good luck with your search. It's fake news.

Ok I'll rush and get on that right away

Good luck with your search. It's fake news."

Naaaaaaa it was on the BBC it's got to be real

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Bonus point for knowing who said that. "

1962 was a very long time ago.

I don’t buy this AI crap, I’ve worked in tech 20 years and haven’t seen anything I’d call AI. Creativity and innovation is still very human , what big ideas have computers thought of on their own?

You can call me AI

Dubai & Nottingham

"I would say that 30% of my student's work is written by ChatGPT. I don't mind as 100% of my marking is also done with ChatGPT."

But that isn’t intelligence. Marking by comparative pairs is far more intelligent and that uses technology to empower human experts to make better marking decisions, and this was invented by a human, a teacher actually , not a computer! They can’t invent anything

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

I see it as a form of external evolution.

We are making machines and learning-systems far more intelligent than ourselves, able to make millions of lightning fast decisions where we are still struggling to get out of bed.

Ideally, these systems are to support and underpin human-based systems.

However it will reach a point where said systems make more effective decisions than humans.

At that point, we reach a critical juncture and have to make a decision.

Do we turn over all decision-making to AI, only certain parts, or none of it.

To be devil's advocate...if an AI machine can make better decisions than me, then I am the problem and obsolete bio tech, aren't I ?

When the Conquistadors arrived in South America, they were the new Gods.

Our new Gods are coming, and I hope they treat us a fairly as we have treated others.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I think the point of that story, is that one of the robots essentially hacked their security networks in minutes, from a position of self-interest."

It's fake news https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-ai-robots-idUSL1N348243

Sounds like the plot to the Will Smith film "I, Robot" has been rejigg(i)ed and told as fact.....

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Only 30%?! I think nearer 90%

That, or ours have subbed it out to some REALLY useless essay mills

ChatGPT isn't good at lab reports...

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

Were missing the main issue - will the robots have nice tits??

By *uri00620Woman  over a year ago

Croydon

Honestly, every time I type something I think 'bloody auto correct' as my message reads wrong... again.

Why doesn't my computer just read my mind put in what I want correctly and also check spelling and grammar?

I welcome the day Skynet takes over.

"Were missing the main issue - will the robots have nice tits?? "

That's a fair point

Dubai & Nottingham

My bank manager ordered me two check books on Monday via two different printers/couriers I watched him do it on screen as I needed it today so it was just in case they was an issue printing one.

Both just arrived via the same printer! Some AI optimised his work not realising why he did it …. Not very intelligent , humans know best!

Ai and Ai generated content has went crazy

A couple off weeks ago a syindcit off YouTuber

Set up a full social media and banned word as a experiment

As was able to trick people in to thinking Ai generated pictures were a real person

By *he Silver FuxMan  over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"If you think about the monster that sits behind Social media, created when we weren’t ready for it.. we saw a dramatic rise in anxiety, isolation, self harm, cyber bullying and even suicide.

AI is a bigger transition, possibly an even bigger societal monster sits behind it…one we don’t know of. Society will shift in a new direction for sure.

The problem is AI per se, it’s that digital intelligence is hugely different from emotional intelligence and the speed of learning is exponential in AI.. we need regulation and quickly. "

I’m with you in this although I believe we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg of the harm social media is causing; it’s still early days. AI though is going to cause even more harm.. not potentially, it will. Terrifying because ultimately corporate greed will drive AI development

Tin town

"My bank manager ordered me two check books on Monday via two different printers/couriers I watched him do it on screen as I needed it today so it was just in case they was an issue printing one.

Both just arrived via the same printer! Some AI optimised his work not realising why he did it …. Not very intelligent , humans know best! "

#notallhumans

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"My bank manager ordered me two check books on Monday via two different printers/couriers I watched him do it on screen as I needed it today so it was just in case they was an issue printing one.

Both just arrived via the same printer! Some AI optimised his work not realising why he did it …. Not very intelligent , humans know best! "

Can you explain how AI was involved? Was this not just the system that was in place?

Marc

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

There for man will always win

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

The people who will seek to develop it for nefarious means are more of a threat. Like anything else, in the wrong hands it can be used to cause hell, in the right hands it can help.

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Surely AI itself is just a prediction tool outputting the most probable answer or solution. This technology is being used to good effect globally, combining past known answers and the ability to process current information quicker to give an answer. This answer might be the same humans come to but AI can do it far quicker.

Does AI worry me, not one jot, I suspect it would eventually go around in circles until it self destructs as AI trys to use AI itself.

» Add a new message to this topic