FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Compulsory decorating

Compulsory decorating

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *naswingdress OP   Woman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I am painting and have it on the brain right now.

In a hypothetical world where you have to repaint all the rooms in your house in a new colour - what colours are you choosing and why?

Second stipulation. No white, off white, beige, cream, grey, taupe, ecru, or any variations on that

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

It's still Blue

Manchester (she/her)

"It's still Blue "

FFS

By *iasubTV/TS  over a year ago

Ilkeston

Probably a dark navy or green seeing as grey isn’t allowed

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Racing Green, with white glossed woodwork

Manchester (she/her)

"Probably a dark navy or green seeing as grey isn’t allowed "

Most of my flat - despite what the Nugget is saying - is currently becoming green. From white. Neutrals can fuck all the way off in my house

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman  over a year ago

Carlisle usually

Deep, rich purples and reds.

I'd prefer to keep to mostly neutrals with the odd feature wall, but if we're going whole hog and not allowing those I want my entire home to look like a seedy sex dungeon

Ilkeston

"Probably a dark navy or green seeing as grey isn’t allowed

Most of my flat - despite what the Nugget is saying - is currently becoming green. From white. Neutrals can fuck all the way off in my house "

Can beat a neutral though easier to build around. Without having to repaint when you want to change the themes

Manchester (she/her)

"Deep, rich purples and reds.

I'd prefer to keep to mostly neutrals with the odd feature wall, but if we're going whole hog and not allowing those I want my entire home to look like a seedy sex dungeon "

Hell yeah.

I'm sort of hoping my non-neutrals (pale green and lilac) create a peaceful ambience rather than get all seedy up in here. But I'm mostly going - a thread like this is boring if everyone picks magnolia.

Ilkeston

I'd prefer to keep to mostly neutrals with the odd feature wall, but if we're going whole hog and not allowing those I want my entire home to look like a seedy sex dungeon "

That would be a vibe to have a dark sex dungeon feel

Den of Iniquity

"It's still Blue

FFS "

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Fucking caveat removing my colour scheme of choice. Darn it Op. Darn it.

So let's see. My house is Victorian, mid 1800s. High ceilings, big windows. With all the alcoves you'd expect. So living room; I'd probably go for a very rich dark green shade. Use accents of dark wood, via framed photos/certificates etc. Wooden floor, leather sofas. And a dark green chaise lounge.

Bathroom? Black and wood. Oh actually, as long as there's a freestanding copper tub, I don't mind. Black would work.

Kitchen... erm. Sorry but it has to be cream. It's already quite a sensory place, too many colours and I'd stim my way through cooking risotto.

Bedroom. I'm going full on courtesan boudoir experience. Lots of velvet, silk. Dark jewel colours. Perfect.

Ilkeston

I'd prefer to keep to mostly neutrals with the odd feature wall, but if we're going whole hog and not allowing those I want my entire home to look like a seedy sex dungeon

Hell yeah.

I'm sort of hoping my non-neutrals (pale green and lilac) create a peaceful ambience rather than get all seedy up in here. But I'm mostly going - a thread like this is boring if everyone picks magnolia."

That will be very tranquil, love it!

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Lulworth Blue.

Peignoir (pink)

Vert de terre.

French turquoise.

Violet slate.

I'm now inspired to look for my bathroom paint.

Manchester (she/her)

Most of my flat - despite what the Nugget is saying - is currently becoming green. From white. Neutrals can fuck all the way off in my house

Can beat a neutral though easier to build around. Without having to repaint when you want to change the themes"

I absolutely get the logic of it. I'm just playing - if you can't choose a neutral, what would you do.

I've also had white walls for a long time - and at this stage would sooner burn my flat down than do neutrals

Various shades of black to match my soul

Ilkeston

"Fucking caveat removing my colour scheme of choice. Darn it Op. Darn it.

So let's see. My house is Victorian, mid 1800s. High ceilings, big windows. With all the alcoves you'd expect. So living room; I'd probably go for a very rich dark green shade. Use accents of dark wood, via framed photos/certificates etc. Wooden floor, leather sofas. And a dark green chaise lounge.

Bathroom? Black and wood. Oh actually, as long as there's a freestanding copper tub, I don't mind. Black would work.

Kitchen... erm. Sorry but it has to be cream. It's already quite a sensory place, too many colours and I'd stim my way through cooking risotto.

Bedroom. I'm going full on courtesan boudoir experience. Lots of velvet, silk. Dark jewel colours. Perfect. "

Very nice! Would look great especially with the high ceilings. Free standing baths always look so good

Ilkeston

Can beat a neutral though easier to build around. Without having to repaint when you want to change the themes

I absolutely get the logic of it. I'm just playing - if you can't choose a neutral, what would you do.

I've also had white walls for a long time - and at this stage would sooner burn my flat down than do neutrals "

Like you said im getting a little fed up with the grey and white now too

To be very radical how about a yellow or orange

Manchester (she/her)

I've also had white walls for a long time - and at this stage would sooner burn my flat down than do neutrals

"

I think it'd depend on the room or your sensibilities. I've seen some coral paints I think might work - sort of pinky orange. A very pale yellow, sort of neutral plus, might be sunny rather than jarring.

My anxious arse can't handle that shit, hence my choices, but I can see it.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We've got a particular shade of green in one of our rooms that is so easy on the eye, gentle, fresh and relaxing that I'd have the main room in that. The study a shade of lilac and all the other rooms in either of those two except the bathrooms. One would be a grey and silver, the other gold and racing green.

By *nkyCplCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

Purple for bedroom. A nice emerald wall in living room.

Ilkeston

I think it'd depend on the room or your sensibilities. I've seen some coral paints I think might work - sort of pinky orange. A very pale yellow, sort of neutral plus, might be sunny rather than jarring.

My anxious arse can't handle that shit, hence my choices, but I can see it."

Coral would be nice but i think its a very particular colour that will only really suit a few room types

So neon yellow or pink not going to make it to the walls

Manchester (she/her)

"Purple for bedroom. A nice emerald wall in living room. "

My bedroom will be very close to Valspar June Twilight. (It's a Dulux Trade tester I had copied in B&Q, but I forget which one now )

By *nkyCplCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Purple for bedroom. A nice emerald wall in living room.

My bedroom will be very close to Valspar June Twilight. (It's a Dulux Trade tester I had copied in B&Q, but I forget which one now )"

Off to Google as looking for a different shade for the boudoir, cheers.

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

Duck-egg grey.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman  over a year ago

Next Door

Deep rich colours, purple for my bedroom, emerald green for lounge/dining area, navy in the kitchen

Manchester (she/her)

"Duck-egg grey."

Grey? *Chases the infidel from the thread*

Mayfair

"Duck-egg grey.

Grey? *Chases the infidel from the thread*"

I'm terribly sorry because I veered towards your aversions to white and off-white and didn't notice the out-of-bounds grey.

Have you thought about just wood-panelling your entire home? In real wood, of course. Not faux wood or synthetic nonsense.

Manchester (she/her)

"Duck-egg grey.

I'm terribly sorry because I veered towards your aversions to white and off-white and didn't notice the out-of-bounds grey.

Have you thought about just wood-panelling your entire home? In real wood, of course. Not faux wood or synthetic nonsense."

It'll clash with my antiques

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Duck-egg grey.

Have you thought about just wood-panelling your entire home? In real wood, of course. Not faux wood or synthetic nonsense."

Oh lordy! Our home was (real) wood panelled when we moved in. It felt like living in a sauna

By *ulieAndBeefCouple  over a year ago

Manchester-ish

My favourite non greige colours. All Farrow & Ball

Hague Blue (A dark navy)

Inchyra Blue (A dark green despite the name)

Downpipe (Almost black)

Railings (Another almost black)

J

East London

"Various shades of black to match my soul "

You're lilac and fluffy inside

East London

"Duck-egg grey."

It's a green/blue hue so this should be allowed.

Manchester (she/her)

"Duck-egg grey.

Have you thought about just wood-panelling your entire home? In real wood, of course. Not faux wood or synthetic nonsense.

Oh lordy! Our home was (real) wood panelled when we moved in. It felt like living in a sauna "

Brown is coming back in, but I think it'd be a struggle to do on the walls without getting into that sort of aesthetic

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Hell yeah.

I'm sort of hoping my non-neutrals (pale green and lilac) create a peaceful ambience rather than get all seedy up in here. But I'm mostly going - a thread like this is boring if everyone picks magnolia."

Our whole bungalow is basically magnolia

But the kitchen is bright red and the bathroom black n white

Manchester (she/her)

Hell yeah.

I'm sort of hoping my non-neutrals (pale green and lilac) create a peaceful ambience rather than get all seedy up in here. But I'm mostly going - a thread like this is boring if everyone picks magnolia.

But the kitchen is bright red and the bathroom black n white "

Someone left a tin of magnolia paint in my hallway for the express purpose of winding me up

North West

Hell yeah.

Someone left a tin of magnolia paint in my hallway for the express purpose of winding me up "

I wonder who?!

Manchester (she/her)

Hell yeah.

Someone left a tin of magnolia paint in my hallway for the express purpose of winding me up

I wonder who?! "

The same person has dubbed my main colour "green magnolia"

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

Deep forest greens, rich navy blues. I love dark warm colours that make it feel almost cave like anyway

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Sunshine yellow

Aqua blue

Red

Pink x

North West

Hell yeah.

I wonder who?!

The same person has dubbed my main colour "green magnolia" "

I'm imagining a colourful individual is responsible

Mayfair

"Duck-egg grey.

It's a green/blue hue so this should be allowed."

Thank you. X

The OP is Tasmanian, what would she know on a month of Sundays?

Manchester (she/her)

When I was young, my parents painted their formal lounge room in a striking blue colour. Sort of at the darker end of light blue, I don't know how to describe it otherwise. Set against white Chesterfields and mid tone wood. It wouldn't work in my space, but I'd do that in a different space.

Got me thinking now

Kitchen probably like a light green

Cupboard doors need re doing panel n paint

Manchester (she/her)

"Got me thinking now

Kitchen probably like a light green

Cupboard doors need re doing panel n paint

"

After my kitchen goes green (paint), I'm painting my cabinets - although in a neutral (Valspar Portobello Cream)

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

Second stipulation. No white, off white, beige, cream, grey, taupe, ecru, or any variations on that "

You just ruled out all my potential colours !

I like neutral painted walls and blinds , wood floors and furniture, black leather couches and black cast iron fireplaces , and then get the colour from lots of big green house plants in nice pots and artwork on the walls - green , aqua and red normally

Manchester (she/her)

"

Second stipulation. No white, off white, beige, cream, grey, taupe, ecru, or any variations on that

You just ruled out all my potential colours !

I like neutral painted walls and blinds , wood floors and furniture, black leather couches and black cast iron fireplaces , and then get the colour from lots of big green house plants in nice pots and artwork on the walls - green , aqua and red normally

"

Fortunately this is a hypothetical. I'm not going to come over there and hold a gun while you paint

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Bathroom use to be a pink red loved it was like a good lipstick colour it's now mat deep blue and with all the white bath etc it's nice to have a strong colour.

Manchester (she/her)

Bathroom use to be a pink red loved it was like a good lipstick colour it's now mat deep blue and with all the white bath etc it's nice to have a strong colour."

I love blues in bathrooms

By *estarossa.Woman  over a year ago

Flagrante

I am a rule breaker.

I would use neutrals then use soft furnishings to add a splash of colour.

Hastings

"I am a rule breaker.

I would use neutrals then use soft furnishings to add a splash of colour."

Hall is magnolia so rooms can be rich or deep colours with added colours in the draps/ curtains.

Flagrante

"I am a rule breaker.

Hall is magnolia so rooms can be rich or deep colours with added colours in the draps/ curtains."

Nope, hate magnolia with a passion!

Manchester (she/her)

"I am a rule breaker.

I would use neutrals then use soft furnishings to add a splash of colour."

I mean, the point of this thread was to think of non neutral colours, but ok.

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Red, black. Go passionate

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Deep, dark green.

Lots of plants. Assuming that I don't manage to kill them.

Dark wood.

If you’re really adverse to neutrals go bold with wallpaper! Beautiful prints out there, pick a strong colour from the pattern and do 3 walls paint and one paper.

Black walls are very on trend atm, brightened up with neon colour accessories.

Dulux emerald glade is a very nice dark green

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I want to change our bedroom to a specific shade of blue. But I’m also looking at moving so the whole house will probably white-washed (sorry). I had a colourful house once and it made me smile a lot but I was easily bored & kept changing the colours.

J x

Manchester (she/her)

"If you’re really adverse to neutrals go bold with wallpaper! Beautiful prints out there, pick a strong colour from the pattern and do 3 walls paint and one paper.

Black walls are very on trend atm, brightened up with neon colour accessories.

Dulux emerald glade is a very nice dark green "

I have an unusual wall in my main room and I thought about making it a feature wall with wallpaper, but decided against it.

Manchester (she/her)

"I want to change our bedroom to a specific shade of blue. But I’m also looking at moving so the whole house will probably white-washed (sorry). I had a colourful house once and it made me smile a lot but I was easily bored & kept changing the colours.

J x"

Lol it's a hypothetical. In reality, do what you like

Dulux sapphire salute and farrow and ball stiffkey blue are very stunning navys

Manchester (she/her)

"Dulux sapphire salute and farrow and ball stiffkey blue are very stunning navys "

I see Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore recommended a fair bit

"Dulux sapphire salute and farrow and ball stiffkey blue are very stunning navys

I see Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore recommended a fair bit"

I lurve a navy feature wall! Especially if it’s panelled

Manchester (she/her)

"Dulux sapphire salute and farrow and ball stiffkey blue are very stunning navys

I see Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore recommended a fair bit

I lurve a navy feature wall! Especially if it’s panelled "

It's not my style, but I love the look. (Nick Lewis on YouTube has a lovely one)

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

Pink....cause I like pink

Valspar cup o custard

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Tartan

Different shades of blue

I've been decorating this weekend! I found it hard to choose as I love blue. Kitchens blue (will paint a different shade), my bedroom and office is blue, even my garden woodwork is blue. But I managed to find a shade of green I like for the living room. I can send pics when I'm done if u like OP?

"Different shades of blue"

Same!

Hastings

"Dulux sapphire salute and farrow and ball stiffkey blue are very stunning navys "

Yer it's the Dulux sapphire Salute but it dose mark easy. But think it where's better then farrow and ball

Manchester (she/her)

Yer it's the Dulux sapphire Salute but it dose mark easy. But think it where's better then farrow and ball"

I can't speak to wear, because my paint is recent, but I'm appreciating the application of Valspar Trade. It's also not that expensive per litre if you buy a 10L tin (and particularly on 3 for 2!)

Flagrante

"I am a rule breaker.

I mean, the point of this thread was to think of non neutral colours, but ok.

"

I am perfectly capable of thinking of them, but they would look shit in my house!

By *addad99Man  over a year ago

Rotherham /newquay

Funny I've just been on farrow and ball looking at new paint

Manchester (she/her)

"Funny I've just been on farrow and ball looking at new paint "

I spent sooo long looking at this stuff

North America focused, but The Paint People on YouTube are helpful. There's also several websites that can offer you near matches. My main colour - I was looking for something like Farrow and Ball Teresa's Green, so I ordered a bunch of Dulux testers that were similar.

Mayfair

She's still decorating... ^

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Either:

1. Magnolia throughout.

Or;

2. A combination of eye watering neon pink, lime green, fluorescent orange, electric blue, crimson, acid lemon and imperial purple. All colours on all walls, but different pop-art patterns in different rooms. Also mirrored ceilings and floors.

Den of Iniquity

"Valspar cup o custard "

Manchester (she/her)

"Either:

1. Magnolia throughout.

Or;

2. A combination of eye watering neon pink, lime green, fluorescent orange, electric blue, crimson, acid lemon and imperial purple. All colours on all walls, but different pop-art patterns in different rooms. Also mirrored ceilings and floors."

I'll meet you at B&Q.

Manchester (she/her)

"Valspar cup o custard

"

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I really like feature walls in otherwise neutral coloured rooms.

Purples and pine greens really stand out in such instances.

I also recently saw some white doors with the inner panels painted in a different colour which I thought looked really striking

Manchester (she/her)

"I really like feature walls in otherwise neutral coloured rooms.

Purples and pine greens really stand out in such instances.

I also recently saw some white doors with the inner panels painted in a different colour which I thought looked really striking "

feature panels in doors sounds interesting

By *ansoffateMan  over a year ago

Sagittarius A

My daughters painted the kitchen Teal.

Thought it would look nasty but I really like it

Manchester (she/her)

"My daughters painted the kitchen Teal.

Thought it would look nasty but I really like it "

I saw a picture recently of a yellow kitchen with teal cabinets and white/ reddish (Moroccan?) splashback. It is so not my style but it was gorgeous.

» Add a new message to this topic