FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Giving up smoking.

Giving up smoking.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ultured Gent16 OP   Man  over a year ago

close.

Advice and ideas? Opinions and views?

Any comments welcome, so thank you in anticipation.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

I smoked heavily from a teen till just over a year ago, used patches and vaping and worked a treat for me.

Don't use the disposable ones though as they work out expensive, I got a smok kiss 2 for £40 and got deals on liquid online.

Good luck

By *elix SightedMan  over a year ago

Cloud 8

"Advice and ideas? Opinions and views?

Any comments welcome, so thank you in anticipation. "

No advice at all, OP, as I’ve never smoked. I just came here to say best of luck! I hope it works for you, it will be tough but (I believe) worth it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I vape. Only thing that successfully got me off the fags although now I wish I could stop the vape

By *lue eyesMan  over a year ago

cavan

It's actually easy when some of your nearest and dearest die from disease caused by smoking.

The loss you'll never get over

"I vape. Only thing that successfully got me off the fags although now I wish I could stop the vape "

Yeah this is the problem I have now too. Vaping helped me stop smoking almost over night but now I’m just addicted to them. I suppose it’s still better than walking around stinking of fags though.

By *valanche1001Man  over a year ago

Leeds

I gave up about a month ago and I’m now vaping. I still really fancy a cig now and then but at least the vaping deals with the cravings. I’m using a tobacco flavoured nic salt which I far prefer to the fruity nonsense. I also don’t look forward to a vape like I did a cig so I’m hoping they will make weaning myself off nicotine completely a bit easier.

I am now wondering just how much nicotine is coursing through my system by comparison to when I did smoke

Some tips I found useful was to look at the pre-planning.

I.E. before you decide that today is the day have a look at your usual routine, what are your triggers for a cigarette, when do you usually have them, what happens to make you want one, who else around you smokes and what are you going to do when you’re around them, what things can I do instead of having a cigarette. Once you done that set a date in your diary when those triggers are at their lowest and make that your go date. Have all the supplies in that you might need to replace cigarettes (patches, gum, mints, water bottles for work , whatever works for you really)

It mades a conscious decision and made it clear what it was going to do and that giving up was a “thing” in itself and not just the absence of something I usually did.

Overall, good luck to you

"I vape. Only thing that successfully got me off the fags although now I wish I could stop the vape

Yeah this is the problem I have now too. Vaping helped me stop smoking almost over night but now I’m just addicted to them. I suppose it’s still better than walking around stinking of fags though. "

Now we walk around in clouds of strawberry and mint chocolate

Oh and I’m now 8 years nicotine free and never felt better. You won’t regret it

I'm afraid I don't have any tips or advice but wish you lots of luck

"I vape. Only thing that successfully got me off the fags although now I wish I could stop the vape

Yeah this is the problem I have now too. Vaping helped me stop smoking almost over night but now I’m just addicted to them. I suppose it’s still better than walking around stinking of fags though.

Now we walk around in clouds of strawberry and mint chocolate "

I’ll take smelling like unicorn farts over stale fags any day

By *tar80sWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

Get laser treatment if you can. Best way to do it.

Clean EVERYTHING. Do not touch anything with your bare hands aftter you quit until you have cleaned it. Any amount of nicotine can seep into your system and set you back as well it makes the cravings worse. Do not touch any discarded cig butts or even be around smokers for awhile. Even the stink sets you back.

Take lots of vitamin d, c and magnesium.

The day you quit, start drinking at night a cup of pineapple juice with a tablespoon of cream of tartar for one week only. You will greet the morning with some of the worst number 1 and number 2 but that is all the tar and crap leaving your system that way instead of hacking up gobs of snot from your lungs.

I did laser treatment. It did not hurt. I had cravings but they were easy to get over. I didnt have night sweats, or hacked up anything, at most I cried for 3 days because it was losing my bestest friend ever after 25 years for a pack or more a day.

But holy fuck. If i can do it, you can.

Stay strong. If you need any help just ask.

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

My dad was a heavy smoker from a teen in to his 50s.

He used to say a craving only last five minutes. When you feel it come on, just distract yourself with whatever you can.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

I stopped a few years ago using the champex pills they work brilliant unfortunately I only stayed stopped 3 years and started again, I do vape but find it's not enough for me to totally stop.

Mrs

Patches.

You stick one over your left eye, and one over your right eye and then you can't find your fags

I tried everything and the only thing which worked for me was vaping. I used to lower the nicotine percentage just a little each time I bough liquids until I was down to only vaping on one percent nicotine and even at that low level I still couldn't stop. So I mixed it with 0% nicotine and then a bit less nicotine until eventually I was vaping on 0% nicotine and then I gave up.

I haven't vaped for years now and I gave up cigarettes over 10 years ago. It was really hard and I was never a big smoker, unless I drank alcohol.

My friend is a big smoker but he recently stopped smoking by vaping on crystal vapes. Now he says doesn't feel like a cigarette and I haven't seen him smoke for ages. That is really saying something for him, considering he smoked like a train. So I'd recommend giving crystal vapes a try.

"Patches.

You stick one over your left eye, and one over your right eye and then you can't find your fags"

They only worked for me when they were stuck over my mouth

Mrs A, smoked for around 18 years.

When she was ready, she just stopped.

After a week, someone passed her a cigarette, out of habit and she smoked it, but realised the enjoyment she used to get was no longer there.

That helped her to quit long term, and it's been over 2 years since she has smoked.

For her, the determination and recognising it was no longer serving her the way it previously had, was enough.

She rode the difficult times and now benefitting.

I hope you find your way.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

I am very pleased to say, I have now been smoke free since December 2006 … and now, quite frankly hate it - I genuinely didn’t realise who much I smelled of smoke until I stopped - I now smell it on all smokers! - those of you who say you don’t are deluded!

For me it was hard, but easy… I went cold Turkey! In December of 2006, my father was diagnosed as terminally ill with lung cancer - and died 6 weeks later - he was a lifelong smoker. I watched him through the last agonising weeks of his life, it was heartbreaking to see him die like that.

I did not ever to want to put my children through what I went through, or die like he did. I had the cravings, but thinking of my dad kept me off them - and always has.

However you do it - do it!, you owe it to your family!

R xx

By *MandMMCouple  over a year ago

Welwyn garden city

Really wanting to quit is the first step. Any doubts, and you'll find excuses to have a sneaky one

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Really wanting to quit is the first step. Any doubts, and you'll find excuses to have a sneaky one"

True. Myself & partner quit instantly when starting a family , I started again 17 years later. If you want to stop you’ll just do it, cigarettes have absolutely no metabolically addictive qualities , it’s a choice to smoke, just like drinking tea or coffee

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Tried using a vape but it makes my throat so sore ..

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"Advice and ideas? Opinions and views?

Any comments welcome, so thank you in anticipation. "

good man just will power should be enough

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

"I am very pleased to say, I have now been smoke free since December 2006 … and now, quite frankly hate it - I genuinely didn’t realise who much I smelled of smoke until I stopped - I now smell it on all smokers! - those of you who say you don’t are deluded!

For me it was hard, but easy… I went cold Turkey! In December of 2006, my father was diagnosed as terminally ill with lung cancer - and died 6 weeks later - he was a lifelong smoker. I watched him through the last agonising weeks of his life, it was heartbreaking to see him die like that.

I did not ever to want to put my children through what I went through, or die like he did. I had the cravings, but thinking of my dad kept me off them - and always has.

However you do it - do it!, you owe it to your family!

R xx"

I was diagnosed with plural thickening, a folded lung and emphysema about a year and half ago and reduced ability to take in oxygen by 40% and that definitely helped me quit

"Tried using a vape but it makes my throat so sore .."

vape juice that has nic salts instead of free base is much smoother to smoke.

By *oding1Man  over a year ago

marlow

Found a women I loved and liked kissing more than smoking.

You guessed it she didn't smoke.

"Tried using a vape but it makes my throat so sore ..

vape juice that has nic salts instead of free base is much smoother to smoke. "

Just got back into vaping as I'm spending way too much on smoking, can confirm the nic salts are much easier to deal with. A nice vape pen and a good juice really helps, might need to start off high on the nicotine and tone it down over time to kick the habit of smoking and more so onto vaping.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Champix was supposed to be very effective, sadly no longer available and no indication of when they will be, nicotine gum seems to work for me

"Some tips I found useful was to look at the pre-planning.

I.E. before you decide that today is the day have a look at your usual routine, what are your triggers for a cigarette, when do you usually have them, what happens to make you want one, who else around you smokes and what are you going to do when you’re around them, what things can I do instead of having a cigarette. Once you done that set a date in your diary when those triggers are at their lowest and make that your go date. Have all the supplies in that you might need to replace cigarettes (patches, gum, mints, water bottles for work , whatever works for you really)

It mades a conscious decision and made it clear what it was going to do and that giving up was a “thing” in itself and not just the absence of something I usually did.

Overall, good luck to you "

Absolutely agree with that lady.

It's certain things you need to concentrate on changing.

Ie. If you sit and smoke in a certain area at certain time after meals then go do something totally different.

Try to avoid areas you know there will be smokers.

Overhaul your routine and adjust accordingly. Use professional help if you need. They are there to help. My local NHS Trust had weekly 1-1 support available.

I wish you the very best of luck.

The benefits of success are beyond words.

Always here if you need support

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Look for a book by Alan carr (not the comedian) it helpee me quit over 17 years ago

Changed my mind set.good luck.

"Champix was supposed to be very effective, sadly no longer available and no indication of when they will be, nicotine gum seems to work for me "

Champix had severe side effects of insanely disturbing dreams.

They happened for me and a couple of people I knew who took them

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

"Look for a book by Alan carr (not the comedian) it helpee me quit over 17 years ago

Changed my mind set.good luck."

He died from Lung Cancer back in 2006!

By *eliusMan  over a year ago

Henlow

I tried cold turkey, gum, patches, weaning myself of by reducing number per day. Longest I ever went was 2 weeks.

Eventually I had hipno-therapy. Was convinced it wouldn’t work, went in with 2 cigs still in a packet. Came out after the session, convinced I hadn’t been hipnotised. Walked up to a bin, took the packet out, crushed it and threw it in.

Got home, still convinced it wouldn’t work … every time I wanted a smoke a little voice in my head said: “no you don’t” I said ok I don’t and that was it.

Twenty years on, I’m still convinced I wasn’t hipnotised and yet not had a single cigarette, cigar or puff of one - go figure

NB correct spelling of certain words not accepted…hence the ‘typos’

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

"Look for a book by Alan carr (not the comedian) it helpee me quit over 17 years ago

Changed my mind set.good luck."

Sadly he died of lung cancer I believe, very convincing book of course

close.

Wow.

More replies than I expected considering I didn’t ask whether people liked hairy women or how much they enjoy wanking.

Been diagnosed with COPD and I’ve been smoking 20 a day since I was 16.

I have an appointment with the quit smoking team and just wanted to see what had worked for some.

I’m thinking of a vape but with COPD, it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Nothing would be better but I’m not sure I want to give up.

I know it sounds ridiculous but I really love these smelly, nicotine filled, smoky little buggers.

I don’t want to give up.

I just feel that I have to.

As a side note, I guess it wouldn’t be the best experience to meet someone and collapse on top of them in a wheezing heap.

I think I’m going to go with the patches (not one over each eye so I can’t find my fags Mr Lee Evans fan…) and the vape so I’m still doing something with my hands and mouth.

And how do you get laser treatment for smoking???

All I can imagine is that you have your hands surgically off and cauterised at the same time…

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

You’re awesome.

By *ravo_CharlieMan  over a year ago

East Sussex

Do what I did and get insanely d*unk and fall down the stairs kocking a picture frame off thr wall mid fall, landing on the glass and puncturing my lung.. consequently spent two weeks in the respiratory ward at hospital on a chest drain surrounded by dying people.. sounds extreme but it worked!

close.

"Do what I did and get insanely d*unk and fall down the stairs kocking a picture frame off thr wall mid fall, landing on the glass and puncturing my lung.. consequently spent two weeks in the respiratory ward at hospital on a chest drain surrounded by dying people.. sounds extreme but it worked! "

Now why didn’t I think of that…..

By *rMonkeyMan  over a year ago

Somewhere

I used patches 19 years ago, failed going cold turkey before that on numerous occasions. Never looked back.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

I have given up twice, the first time was for 12 years, the second was last year.

First time I stopped completely cold turkey, just decided that was that and didn't pick up another or want to for 12 years (and 2 days actually). I found that relatively easy, but I really, really wanted to stop. It helped that my (now ex) husband stopped as well... mostly.

The second time, I didn't really have such a definite decision that I didn't want to smoke any more. So I found that harder. Far harder. And I've lapsed several times, mostly in social situations... I found that weird because living alone and getting bored I figured would be hard to resist.

Not particularly being fussed or not wanting to give up I think makes it so much harder to do, and anyone who manages to be an ex smoker when they actually want to smoke... I'm so impressed.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We gave up smoking over 35 years ago. We listened to Alan Carr (not the comedian) and stopped cold turkey. It wasn't difficult but I do still dream I'm smoking and occasionally crave a cigarette.

My advice would be don't put it off or say you're going to stop at some future date. Make your mind up to do it and do it

By *urious g300Man  over a year ago

Galway

Try weaning yourself off them over a week or two. Eg. If smoking 2 an hour try cut back to one an hour, for the first day, the next day stretch it out a bit further. If you take 3 steps forward and 1 step back, in the end you will hit your target. To help with the extra stress look at (auther Patrick McKeown) for breathing exercises to reduce stress, they do work. Smoke and mirror effect.

After 20 years heavy smoking it worked for me. I found the first few hours the hardest.

By *eather_uktvTV/TS  over a year ago

Manchester

I don't wish to sound clever or anything but I was on at least 30 a day, B&H for years. One Sunday morning I was having a cigarette, I put it out and I said to myself "that's the last thing I'm ever going to smoke" And it was.

That was in June 1989. No patches, no substitutes, nothing. I knew it was bad for my health, I was convinced if I didnt give up it would eventualy kill me and I honestly believe if I hadnt given it up, I wouldnt be alive today.

My dad had given up smoking for 30÷ years and still died from a smoking related cancer! Cancer doesn't just kill smokers, it kills people who have smoked. Just saying.

I found champix or cold turkey the best ways to give up.

Good luck op

close.

I think this will be me…..

https://youtu.be/7FweG226aiw

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

"I vape. Only thing that successfully got me off the fags although now I wish I could stop the vape "

Exactly this. What's even more peculiar is that I don't really get anything from the vape and yet just don't seem to be able to stop

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 31/03/23 12:23:30]

» Add a new message to this topic