FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Takeaways

Takeaways

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Trying a new Chinese takeaway, and it being shit, is a worse feeling than heartbreak. Not only have you betrayed your regular Chinese, you've ended up with a shit dinner too

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I hear you. There's a takeaway near here that people constantly rave about. We tried it once...never again.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The best Chinese near me haven't had a makeover since the early 80s so I always avoid the new ones.

By *itvclaireTV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

We're lucky we have a very good one about 5 minutes away. If they're closed with a great backup one too.

XX

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I don't think I've ever felt this devastated before. It was truly awful

If I don’t know more than 3/4 people who’ve eaten and enjoyed a certain takeaway I’ll not even entertain the thought of trying it. Worked so far for me. Got 4 great takeaways to chose from

"I don't think I've ever felt this devastated before. It was truly awful "

Aw I feel your pain

Absolutely horrible feeling.

Wasted money, hungry and feeling like you've betrayed a good friend

By *tarr619TV/TS  over a year ago

Warrington

and this is the reason I never cheat on my preferred takeaways no matter how brilliant people say they are

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"The best Chinese near me haven't had a makeover since the early 80s so I always avoid the new ones."

I bet they have carpeted bathrooms….

By *lephantisMan  over a year ago

Oxford

There's a stunning Nepalese takeaway near me and, being a cut above, prices are a fair bit higher than an average curry. So, recently, I got a standard curry from a perfectly decent place nearby that I used to think was great, and...it was OK. Just...OK. But now OK wasn't good enough, and yet it was as good as it had always been. It was me that had changed, and now dissatisfied.

Being the poet manqué that I am, I couldn't help seeing this as a metaphor for life.

"There's a stunning Nepalese takeaway near me and, being a cut above, prices are a fair bit higher than an average curry. So, recently, I got a standard curry from a perfectly decent place nearby that I used to think was great, and...it was OK. Just...OK. But now OK wasn't good enough, and yet it was as good as it had always been. It was me that had changed, and now dissatisfied.

Being the poet manqué that I am, I couldn't help seeing this as a metaphor for life. "

Better to have something simply wonderful, less frequently, and savour every mouthful, though, don’t you think?

I knew I shouldn’t read this thread, I could murder a take away now

By *ilfCrumpet9Man  over a year ago

Wirral

I prefer to stick to the ones I use regularly. Absolutely hate crap tasting takeaway food. Most of these people should eat what they cook to get an idea of what shite they are selling

By *ulieAndBeefCouple  over a year ago

Manchester-ish

Gutted for you. We're still looking for our 'forever' Chinese. The closest one has a food hygiene rating of 1

I could so go for some Crispy Duck right now.

J

I visit my mum and we tend to get a Chinese when I'm over. She's discovered a new takeaway she absolutely loves.

I haven't got the heart to tell her I think it's shite

That’s punishment for your fast food adultery.

"The best Chinese near me haven't had a makeover since the early 80s so I always avoid the new ones.

I bet they have carpeted bathrooms…. "

By *929Man  over a year ago

newcastle

Never go elsewhere unless usual is closed, even then none of others come close

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Trying a new Chinese takeaway, and it being shit, is a worse feeling than heartbreak. Not only have you betrayed your regular Chinese, you've ended up with a shit dinner too "

It’s like going to a new barber… it just feels so wrong!

But you have your go to rotation for the different sorts of fast food.. ya go to pizza place, go to Chinese, go to Indian ect…..

Other than that most controversial fast food opinion I have now is that I think the vegan royale at burgers king may be the best single item on a menu!

And when I do to McDonald’s I get a mcplant

The only time I try a different chinese is if Im away somewhere. then I tend to order a dish Im familiar with so I can guage if its as good as my regular. I'll never order something new in a new place as you cant tell if its the dish you dont like or a bad restaurant.

By *akingMemoriesMan  over a year ago

Toronto

"Trying a new Chinese takeaway, and it being shit, is a worse feeling than heartbreak. Not only have you betrayed your regular Chinese, you've ended up with a shit dinner too "

Amen. That said, I’ve found that even sub par Chinese takeaways beat my own cooking!

By *aked handyman 123Man  over a year ago

southport

I’m in

By *ornycougaWoman  over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Nothing worse than a duff takeaway. This may be unpopular but are Chinese takeaways ever any good? With one notable exception I have only ever found them to be utter shite. Indian... Now we're talking

"Nothing worse than a duff takeaway. This may be unpopular but are Chinese takeaways ever any good? With one notable exception I have only ever found them to be utter shite. Indian... Now we're talking"

Ah I'd say the complete opposite! I find Chinese use more fresh ingredients while Indian restaurants use a lot of premade sauces to smother everything.

"Trying a new Chinese takeaway, and it being shit, is a worse feeling than heartbreak. Not only have you betrayed your regular Chinese, you've ended up with a shit dinner too

Amen. That said, I’ve found that even sub par Chinese takeaways beat my own cooking!"

You should google 'khins kitchen', the chinese chicken curry is superb and super easy to make, even I can do it

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

I occasionally do McDonald's but not really a takeaway person

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

"Trying a new Chinese takeaway, and it being shit, is a worse feeling than heartbreak. Not only have you betrayed your regular Chinese, you've ended up with a shit dinner too

Amen. That said, I’ve found that even sub par Chinese takeaways beat my own cooking!

You should google 'khins kitchen', the chinese chicken curry is superb and super easy to make, even I can do it"

Likewise, Misty Ricardo for Indian. I don't bother getting an Indian Takeaway anymore, I can cook them better than any takeaway

I like Indian and Chinese however, Im more likely to eat in an Indian reastaurant but have Chinese as a takeaway.

I like to have a takeaway about once a week but last nights choice was Pizza Crunch from the chippy. It was heavenly.

By *ornycougaWoman  over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

"Nothing worse than a duff takeaway. This may be unpopular but are Chinese takeaways ever any good? With one notable exception I have only ever found them to be utter shite. Indian... Now we're talking

Ah I'd say the complete opposite! I find Chinese use more fresh ingredients while Indian restaurants use a lot of premade sauces to smother everything."

I am partial so things being smothered in sauce so that isn't a problem

By *akingMemoriesMan  over a year ago

Toronto

You should google 'khins kitchen', the chinese chicken curry is superb and super easy to make, even I can do it"

Will do, thanks. I’m looking to expand my repertoire!

"Nothing worse than a duff takeaway. This may be unpopular but are Chinese takeaways ever any good? With one notable exception I have only ever found them to be utter shite. Indian... Now we're talking

Ah I'd say the complete opposite! I find Chinese use more fresh ingredients while Indian restaurants use a lot of premade sauces to smother everything.

I am partial so things being smothered in sauce so that isn't a problem "

Saucy !

true.. the risk of something new.. not just takaways.

but if you don't try something new... how would you know?

say yes to the universe

My local chinese restaurant does takeaways because it is not busy now ,great food, same stuff they serve at tables, so l use that .

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

At family gatherings we sometimes have a Chinese. Used the same one for years and will never change.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Trying a old one that has started doing a whole new veggie section and they doing the veggie crispy duck! X

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

I have a few Chinese restaurants and takeaways near me but rarely, if ever, visit them. In essence, my tastebuds gave up on Chinese food many years ago, yielding to my palate that much much prefers Thai and Vietnamese cuisine.

I'm almost in agreement with the maxim -

"Once you've had Thai you never go back to Chinese".

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

Once you find a good one you should never order from another. Tis sacrilege.

The mr

By *sBlueWoman  over a year ago

Up North

"Once you find a good one you should never order from another. Tis sacrilege.

The mr "

Totally agree

Cardiff

"Trying a old one that has started doing a whole new veggie section and they doing the veggie crispy duck! X"

Doing a what? How's that work

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

I only have the one Chinese fairly close by, but the menu never changes and so I rarely go there now. Saw an alternative when going through a neighbouring town, tried it and much preferred their cooking so it can work both ways.

Cardiff

There's no 'what's for tea thread' that I can see, so I will put it here.

Using Mayflowers paste, I've made a Chinese Chicken curry with onion, peppers and peas. To go with it and Egg fried rice.

Added a little Kashmiri chilli powder and it's beautiful

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

In our village we have;

1 Fish & Chip Shop which also sells Kebabs.

1 Fish & Chip Shop which also sells Chinese food.

1 Fish & Chip Shop which also sell Kebabs and Pizza's.

1 Dedicated Pizza Takeway.

1 Dedicated Chinese Takeway.

1 Italian Restaurant which also sells Takeway Pizza.

1 Indian restaurant which also sells

Takeway Indian food.

Which one do I use? The Italian Restaurant both as a restaurant and a takeway.

I like extra hot Singapore chow mein and only one I know makes it hot. The rest always promise to make it hot and spicy but they never do. How hard is it to make it hot !?

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

It depends what Chinese dish Tom fancies.. he picks his dis then knows which takaway cooks it the best

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"Trying a old one that has started doing a whole new veggie section and they doing the veggie crispy duck! X

Doing a what? How's that work"

Meat alternatives doing more of the popular dishes x

» Add a new message to this topic