FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Perfect Sit Up

The Perfect Sit Up

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hePerkyPumpkin OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

How do you do it?

I see conflicting information regarding sit ups.

Some people go all the way up and some people just go about half way, some people just get their head off the floor.

Some say keep your legs flat on the floor and others say bend your knees.

Some people hook their feet under something and others don't.

Do you put your hands at the side of your head or the down the side of your body?

How do you do the perfect sit up?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"How do you do it?

I see conflicting information regarding sit ups.

Some people go all the way up and some people just go about half way, some people just get their head off the floor.

Some say keep your legs flat on the floor and others say bend your knees.

Some people hook their feet under something and others don't.

Do you put your hands at the side of your head or the down the side of your body?

How do you do the perfect sit up?"

its all about what you feel comfortable with, i personally have knees bent arms flailing and come almost as far as i can go

By *cott73Man  over a year ago

brighton

Also it's vital that once you've performed the perfect sit up, you have a 3 day break....

Gains are all about rest apparently.

Bristol

"Also it's vital that once you've performed the perfect sit up, you have a 3 day break....

Gains are all about rest apparently."

You saying that the perfect sit up is so effective you just need one...

Reminds me of a Tenacious D skit

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It depends upon 1) what feels comfortable to you and 2) how easy you find sit ups. There is no such thing as the perfect sit up as there are many ways in which you can progress a sit up to work your core more.

Bristol

"It depends upon 1) what feels comfortable to you and 2) how easy you find sit ups. There is no such thing as the perfect sit up as there are many ways in which you can progress a sit up to work your core more."

True, I can do what I think are reasonable sit ups, but I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of them.

I was mostly wondering what form is most effective.

There will be a best way to do it surely?

With 30kg on my chest

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

I slap my knees twice, make some dad type noises “mahhh, ohh ahhhh” push forward and then I’m out the chair in one go… that’s what you mean right

"It depends upon 1) what feels comfortable to you and 2) how easy you find sit ups. There is no such thing as the perfect sit up as there are many ways in which you can progress a sit up to work your core more.

True, I can do what I think are reasonable sit ups, but I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of them.

There will be a best way to do it surely?"

Breathing in on the decline and exhaling on the incline will ensure you are engaging your core.

I personally use a bench so legs are hooked around and arms were crossed over chest. My sits to start with were flat to torso fully up.

Once you find standard sit ups with correct breathing easy you then start to look at progressing them.

Bristol

"With 30kg on my chest "

That's pretty strong, I think my spine would snap

By *acDreamyMan  over a year ago

Wirral

I think the perfect one involves kissing the beautiful person straddling you!

Bristol

"I slap my knees twice, make some dad type noises “mahhh, ohh ahhhh” push forward and then I’m out the chair in one go… that’s what you mean right "

I knew someone would say it

In all fairness that does sound like a pretty perfect sit up.

How do you handle the sit down though?

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

"I slap my knees twice, make some dad type noises “mahhh, ohh ahhhh” push forward and then I’m out the chair in one go… that’s what you mean right

I knew someone would say it

In all fairness that does sound like a pretty perfect sit up.

How do you handle the sit down though?"

I brace for the drop

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Variety, there is no such thing as the perfect setup. The stomach is made up of a multitude of muscles so different exercises workout different areas, lower abs, upper abs, lats. The key sto do them correctly and comfortably.

"With 30kg on my chest

That's pretty strong, I think my spine would snap "

Thanks and emm yip and I not even sed the number my pb is emm 1013

And years and years have went in to it you get there

Bristol

"It depends upon 1) what feels comfortable to you and 2) how easy you find sit ups. There is no such thing as the perfect sit up as there are many ways in which you can progress a sit up to work your core more.

There will be a best way to do it surely?

Breathing in on the decline and exhaling on the incline will ensure you are engaging your core.

I personally use a bench so legs are hooked around and arms were crossed over chest. My sits to start with were flat to torso fully up.

Once you find standard sit ups with correct breathing easy you then start to look at progressing them."

Cool thanks for the tip about the breathing, think that might be something for me to improve on

By *loveturfMan  over a year ago

Your bedroom

Hand position doesn't really matter so many people do them wrong and put excessive pressure on the the lower back so what works and safe, when on the floor lift your shoulders 1 or 2 inches of the floor this engages your abdomen so squeeze your tummy really hard from there then lift your body about 30* to 45 degree of the floor so think about your shoulders been level with your knees when you come up do not sit fully up ok,

Hope this helps..

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Back straight when on chair or sofa...perfect sitting up. Watching tv or on laptop/ipad/phone optional.

Bristol

"Variety, there is no such thing as the perfect setup. The stomach is made up of a multitude of muscles so different exercises workout different areas, lower abs, upper abs, lats. The key sto do them correctly and comfortably."

I understand that you shouldn't do the same exercise/movement every time and that it's best to keep your muscles on their toes.

There's no sit up or other calisthenics based workout that works your entire core at once?

I lie straight back, knees bent, feet in place ensuring not the move then off the floor.

And then I scream.

Bristol

"I lie straight back, knees bent, feet in place ensuring not the move then off the floor.

And then I scream."

Yes but how do you do a sit up?

Bristol

"Hand position doesn't really matter so many people do them wrong and put excessive pressure on the the lower back so what works and safe, when on the floor lift your shoulders 1 or 2 inches of the floor this engages your abdomen so squeeze your tummy really hard from there then lift your body about 30* to 45 degree of the floor so think about your shoulders been level with your knees when you come up do not sit fully up ok,

Hope this helps.."

Abs check out

This is good thank you.

Is there any benefit to sitting all the way up?

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Lying on the softest surface possible. The way they grind my vertebrae into the floor is unbearable otherwise.

"I lie straight back, knees bent, feet in place ensuring not the move then off the floor.

And then I scream.

Yes but how do you do a sit up? "

Oh, then I touch my eye bit...ya know that hit professor Xavier does. With both hands and I...sit up.

Don't move your butt or feet and either go all the way down or until most of your back is on the floor. Then back up. Then down..then up. Then scream..then down. Then up. Then down.

Bristol

And then I scream.

Yes but how do you do a sit up?

Oh, then I touch my eye bit...ya know that hit professor Xavier does. With both hands and I...sit up.

Don't move your butt or feet and either go all the way down or until most of your back is on the floor. Then back up. Then down..then up. Then scream..then down. Then up. Then down."

Is the screaming essential to nailing the move?

Your bedroom

Haa unfortunately i didn't get my abs from doing sit ups all clean eating.

So i see loads doing full sit ups with amazing abs so many will have there own way i guess,so what really matters is core engagement if your core isn't turned on no point doing them squeeze your tummy like your trying to hold in a fart lol that some times helps engage it

Bristol

Fair enough, my diet is not great but then again I eat so little.

So just keeping that core engaged throughout is what's paramount, the rest of it just comes down to what's comfortable for you

Your bedroom

"Fair enough, my diet is not great but then again I eat so little.

So just keeping that core engaged throughout is what's paramount, the rest of it just comes down to what's comfortable for you "

Exactly mate and always do an exercise you enjoy and you'll do it for longer get better results slow and steady wins the race.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

Planks are better than sit ups, also saves your spine if you do sit ups on the floor. But if going to do them then hanging from a bar with legs hanging over it is the best way in my opinion

Bristol

"Planks are better than sit ups, also saves your spine if you do sit ups on the floor. But if going to do them then hanging from a bar with legs hanging over it is the best way in my opinion "

Interesting, much like the sit up I've heard conflicting information about planks.

Some people swear by them and other people say they're a waste of time.

I can do a plank for about 2 mins but can only do about 15 sit ups.

I might be able to try sit ups from a bar at my climbing gym... I'd probably fall off though haha

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

"Planks are better than sit ups, also saves your spine if you do sit ups on the floor. But if going to do them then hanging from a bar with legs hanging over it is the best way in my opinion "

I came here to say this! I think there are better options than sit-ups, but I personally think you stop when you feel tension in your abs if you are going to do them.

As well as planks, I love hanging leg raises (assuming you have a bar) and ab rollouts...but that said I also don't have washboard abs, but I know that's because I eat too much!

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

"Planks are better than sit ups, also saves your spine if you do sit ups on the floor. But if going to do them then hanging from a bar with legs hanging over it is the best way in my opinion

Interesting, much like the sit up I've heard conflicting information about planks.

Some people swear by them and other people say they're a waste of time.

I can do a plank for about 2 mins but can only do about 15 sit ups.

I might be able to try sit ups from a bar at my climbing gym... I'd probably fall off though haha "

You can make planks more difficult - easiest way to put a weight on your back, or do some shoulder taps etc.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

As an alternative to sit ups, Ab wheels are rather fun to use whilst exercises such as L-sits, hanging leg raises and front levers amongst others, are all fantastic for the core

Bristol

"Planks are better than sit ups, also saves your spine if you do sit ups on the floor. But if going to do them then hanging from a bar with legs hanging over it is the best way in my opinion

I came here to say this! I think there are better options than sit-ups, but I personally think you stop when you feel tension in your abs if you are going to do them.

As well as planks, I love hanging leg raises (assuming you have a bar) and ab rollouts...but that said I also don't have washboard abs, but I know that's because I eat too much!

"

Looks like planks might be the way to go then.

Bristol

"As an alternative to sit ups, Ab wheels are rather fun to use whilst exercises such as L-sits, hanging leg raises and front levers amongst others, are all fantastic for the core "

I can do L sits and leg raises but not even close to doing a front lever

There are loads of variations. A lot of people do them contract their abs properly and feel it more in their lower back.

My favourite variation is to have my calf’s resting on the seat of the chair/couch, hands behind head and sit up a few inches and just crunch your stomach. That really burns and works well…

Bristol

"There are loads of variations. A lot of people do them contract their abs properly and feel it more in their lower back.

My favourite variation is to have my calf’s resting on the seat of the chair/couch, hands behind head and sit up a few inches and just crunch your stomach. That really burns and works well…"

That sounds pretty tough, I'll give that a shot from time to time

Fuck sitting up in bed is a struggle enough

Bristol

"Fuck sitting up in bed is a struggle enough "

Dude I can barely crawl out of bed

"Fuck sitting up in bed is a struggle enough