FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Pronouns....stop please

Pronouns....stop please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Im gonna show my ignorance here but....if you want to be known by something different your just trying to prove your superior to someone who doesn't get it and you enjoy making that person feel stupid...if someone mis pronouns you just ignore it....be happy that you know who you are...most people don't care,they just tolerate your game,this is nothing against those but I find it strange that people get upset when wrongly referred to as miss or mr or him her them they....just identify as you...someone getting it wrong ruins 5 seconds of your day so just enjoy all the other seconds

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Alright Miss

By *ayHaychMan  over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

"Alright Miss "

Whilst he self-proclaimed his ignorance, I don’t think he’ll fall for that bait

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

The day has now been ruined by starting the thread off again

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

"The day has now been ruined by starting the thread off again "

There's always got to be someone that does

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

You read the title of the thread and could have steered clear but you had to join it and comment, so perpetuating it.

If people don’t like threads maybe they shouldn’t join in on it.

Just a thought.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"Im gonna show my ignorance here but....if you want to be known by something different your just trying to prove your superior to someone who doesn't get it and you enjoy making that person feel stupid...if someone mis pronouns you just ignore it....be happy that you know who you are...most people don't care,they just tolerate your game,this is nothing against those but I find it strange that people get upset when wrongly referred to as miss or mr or him her them they....just identify as you...someone getting it wrong ruins 5 seconds of your day so just enjoy all the other seconds"

The first 5 words are all that matter.

Boo's World

"The day has now been ruined by starting the thread off again

You read the title of the thread and could have steered clear but you had to join it and comment, so perpetuating it.

Just a thought. "

I actually agree with what he said, after yesterday's just didn't need to be started again.

Same as you didn't have to comment on my post so works both ways surely

BRIDPORT

Just a thought.

I actually agree with what he said, after yesterday's just didn't need to be started again.

Same as you didn't have to comment on my post so works both ways surely "

I didn’t have too, but I was quite happy too

By *valanche1001Man  over a year ago

Leeds

^^^^^^^

This

Boo's World

Just a thought.

Same as you didn't have to comment on my post so works both ways surely

I didn’t have too, but I was quite happy too "

Exactly!

Everyone's entitled too

By *ustauseerTV/TS  over a year ago

sedgemoor

You are speaking from my position of privilege.

Your laziness is a minor inconvenience for you but when you do so repeatedly you create a precedent which becomes a major inconvenience for me, you create an environment where I’m not seen as a person.

I ask you nicely human to human please treat me and those of differing pronouns with respect and humanity.

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"You are speaking from my position of privilege.

Your laziness is a minor inconvenience for you but when you do so repeatedly you create a precedent which becomes a major inconvenience for me, you create an environment where I’m not seen as a person.

I ask you nicely human to human please treat me and those of differing pronouns with respect and humanity. "

It doesn't take much to at least try to respect what makes others happy does it.

I ask you nicely human to human please treat me and those of differing pronouns with respect and humanity. "

Not laziness its also anxiety inducing for people who have to be scolded if they get it wrong...whats wrong if someone calls you miss? They not doing it to be nasty...there are worse things in life then weather somebody mis pronouns you

By *nlyfun3Woman  over a year ago

NEAR Berkhamsted,Herts

I ask you nicely human to human please treat me and those of differing pronouns with respect and humanity.

Not laziness its also anxiety inducing for people who have to be scolded if they get it wrong...whats wrong if someone calls you miss? They not doing it to be nasty...there are worse things in life then weather somebody mis pronouns you"

So you would be OK refered to as miss or Mrs?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

OP I don't have issue with the sentiment of your post. I agree, there needs to be a bit of give and take when it comes to pronouns and yeah, we might get it wrong sometimes.

Your ignorance is shown by the statement "if you want to be known by something different your just trying to prove your superior to someone who doesn't get it and you enjoy making that person feel stupid". You have no idea what or how a person feels nor their motivations for changing pronouns, to tar everyone with the same brush is where issues lie.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

Not laziness its also anxiety inducing for people who have to be scolded if they get it wrong...whats wrong if someone calls you miss? They not doing it to be nasty...there are worse things in life then weather somebody mis pronouns you"

If it causes you anxiety, and you don't know how someone likes to be referred to, simply don't use a pronoun, or use they / them (which have existed as a singular for over 500 years).

It's really easy to do. Just pretend you've not seen them, and so can't have assumed anything.

In any case, I don't know anyone who has got upset by, or scolded anyone for misuse, except in the case where they have been using the wrong pronoun deliberately.

By *adeiteWoman  over a year ago

Poole, but up in lincs for a bit

Ok miss

Not laziness its also anxiety inducing for people who have to be scolded if they get it wrong...whats wrong if someone calls you miss? They not doing it to be nasty...there are worse things in life then weather somebody mis pronouns you

So you would be OK refered to as miss or Mrs?"

My first name starts with an s so often called Mrs Smith and thats someone making a mistake but I dont speak to them to correct...just get on with my day

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Personally I think this all this defeat the object and create a greater divide.

For example. My brothers work - they have a person who wishes to be referred to as they/them. One day they will appear dressed as a man, one day a woman. Every time someone genuinely makes a mistake they report them and that person gets spoken to. Now nobody bothers interacting with that person at all. They are now complaining they are not being included and nobody speaks to them.

I have never in my 51 years met someone who wants to be referred to differently and to be honest I’m probably unlikely to in my circle of friends and family, but if I did I would refer to them how they wish. But do not start getting all offended with people who make mistakes after we have had a lifetime of he/she him/her.

And as for the ze/zi thing I was reading last night I was totally lost.

"Personally I think this all this defeat the object and create a greater divide.

For example. My brothers work - they have a person who wishes to be referred to as they/them. One day they will appear dressed as a man, one day a woman. Every time someone genuinely makes a mistake they report them and that person gets spoken to. Now nobody bothers interacting with that person at all. They are now complaining they are not being included and nobody speaks to them.

I have never in my 51 years met someone who wants to be referred to differently and to be honest I’m probably unlikely to in my circle of friends and family, but if I did I would refer to them how they wish. But do not start getting all offended with people who make mistakes after we have had a lifetime of he/she him/her.

And as for the ze/zi thing I was reading last night I was totally lost. "

Boo's World

[Removed by poster at 28/06/22 09:23:45]

Boo's World

"Personally I think this all this defeat the object and create a greater divide.

Why can't people use their name as well, a lot of people won't get so confused then as well. Whether it's a given name at birth or something else they prefer.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I tend to agree with this tbf ..

Obviously I'd respect what anyone wants to be called but it's just so confusing with all these different pronouns around and all the new ones I'd never heard of last night doesn't make someone ignorant, it's literally a case of not knowing these existed in the first place .. Just tell me your name surely that's easier and nobody can offend anyone

By *iromancergirl1Woman  over a year ago

bolton

I have a trans son (AFAB) and I’m in a lot of groups/forums for parents/family members of trans/non binary people with people from all over the world who are on these groups so covering a large demographic and the only time it’s ever a problem is if it’s done in malice and so in which case I’d feel annoyed about that to the majority of trans/non binary people I interact with genuinely understand that it’s not done on purpose.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Why can't people use their name as well, a lot of people won't get so confused then as well. Whether it's a given name at birth or something else they prefer. "

Yep

I used to regularly be mis-heard as a slightly different male name to my own when answering phone calls at work. There was someone there with this other name, and people would assume I was him. He was a big muscular black guy, and I was a skinny white guy. He was my friend though, and while I took no offence at the name or the association, after a while each time it happened and even though I knew it to be an accidental thing that wasn't done purely to annoy me, I would want to push the callers face through a mesh fence. It's death by a thousand cuts. If you get it wrong, you should apologise (it's not a big deal "Oh so sorry, I got that wrong" - it doesn't need flowers), and get it right from then on. Kindness is free, everyone deserves it, stop wrapping up your prejudice as tiny things the other person should manage instead of yourself, and also never ever refer to someone else lifestyle and/or sexuality or anything else as a 'game' just because you don't want to 'play nice'

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I have a trans son (AFAB) and I’m in a lot of groups/forums for parents/family members of trans/non binary people with people from all over the world who are on these groups so covering a large demographic and the only time it’s ever a problem is if it’s done in malice and so in which case I’d feel annoyed about that to the majority of trans/non binary people I interact with genuinely understand that it’s not done on purpose."

Yeah, this is very much my experience. I just think... I try to show people respect and call them what they want to be called.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

I can completely understand the divide this can cause. When I asked a genuine question last night, the reply quoted equality act 2010, protected characteristics and phrases like how would you like it if…..and suggestions of bullying. The truth is, that this behaviour would make me want to tread very carefully around the person and would probably avoid contact with them where possible for fear of accusations.

Surely the object of inclusiveness isn’t to create a divide?

Paradise, Herts

I can completely understand the divide this can cause. When I asked a genuine question last night, the reply quoted equality act 2010, protected characteristics and phrases like how would you like it if…..and suggestions of bullying. The truth is, that this behaviour would make me want to tread very carefully around the person and would probably avoid contact with them where possible for fear of accusations.

Surely the object of inclusiveness isn’t to create a divide?"

Me too. I purposely avoided that thread last night as did a lot of people. This will happen in real life too I fear.

By *agpie and RavenMan  over a year ago

Leicester

Asking a man if he's ok being referred to as Miss/Ms/Mrs is churlish. You're deliberately missing the point that if you present as a certain sex, you really shouldn't be upset if someone uses the pronouns for that sex if they've not had been told your preference. No offence is meant, but is often taken. Sometimes on behalf of others.

Frank

"Asking a man if he's ok being referred to as Miss/Ms/Mrs is churlish. You're deliberately missing the point that if you present as a certain sex, you really shouldn't be upset if someone uses the pronouns for that sex if they've not had been told your preference. No offence is meant, but is often taken. Sometimes on behalf of others.

Frank"

Fair point.

walsall

"Asking a man if he's ok being referred to as Miss/Ms/Mrs is churlish. You're deliberately missing the point that if you present as a certain sex, you really shouldn't be upset if someone uses the pronouns for that sex if they've not had been told your preference. No offence is meant, but is often taken. Sometimes on behalf of others.

Frank"

I don’t think the problem is mislabelling, o think that people may become offended when after correction, they continue to refuse to use their preferred pronouns.

We’re literally on a floating rock in space. None of this shit matters enough to get upset over. Let folk be happy

By *elkieWoman  over a year ago

Durham

"Im gonna show my ignorance here but....if you want to be known by something different your just trying to prove your superior to someone who doesn't get it and you enjoy making that person feel stupid...if someone mis pronouns you just ignore it....be happy that you know who you are...most people don't care,they just tolerate your game,this is nothing against those but I find it strange that people get upset when wrongly referred to as miss or mr or him her them they....just identify as you...someone getting it wrong ruins 5 seconds of your day so just enjoy all the other seconds"

It doesn’t just ruin 5 seconds. It is anxiety-inducing, takes minutes to days to bounce back from and harms my relationship with that person. I’ve never called someone out on getting my pronouns wrong, but doing it - or using very feminine compliments - will make me feel unsafe around you because it feels like you just see what you want to, not who I really am.

Please get it right in future. It really does make a difference to people.

Manchester (she/her)

"Im gonna show my ignorance here but....if you want to be known by something different your just trying to prove your superior to someone who doesn't get it and you enjoy making that person feel stupid...if someone mis pronouns you just ignore it....be happy that you know who you are...most people don't care,they just tolerate your game,this is nothing against those but I find it strange that people get upset when wrongly referred to as miss or mr or him her them they....just identify as you...someone getting it wrong ruins 5 seconds of your day so just enjoy all the other seconds

It doesn’t just ruin 5 seconds. It is anxiety-inducing, takes minutes to days to bounce back from and harms my relationship with that person. I’ve never called someone out on getting my pronouns wrong, but doing it - or using very feminine compliments - will make me feel unsafe around you because it feels like you just see what you want to, not who I really am.

Please get it right in future. It really does make a difference to people. "

I'm sorry you suffer so much. That's awful

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Love it when people show their true colours so early on.

Again, the forums are a great filter.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Just call everyone “they”

Sorted

Anyone asking for more isn’t worth your time

By *illloganMan  over a year ago

Essex

I'll be totally honest here... I don't actually care what anyone's pronouns are, I also don't care what someone might refer to me as. (you can call that privileged if you want, again, I don't care)

If you look female and I refer to you as one, but you identify as a him and get offended, that's your problem, not mine

If you tell me up front what your pronoun is so I have no excuse to get it wrong, I probably won't ever refer to you as I won't be in a situation where you are present, not because I'm anti-pronoun types, I just won't have anything in common with you on any level to need to refer to you,we would move in different circles.

The world has just become a place for people to get offended over the smallest of thing, identify as a post box if you want, just don't get offended when I call you a her because you're wearing a skirt and have DD breasts.

I can't actually recall EVER being offended by anything someone has said to me, life's to short to give a fuck about what comes out of someone else's mouth.

I look forward to joining your blocked user list

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

A hill to die on...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"OP I don't have issue with the sentiment of your post. I agree, there needs to be a bit of give and take when it comes to pronouns and yeah, we might get it wrong sometimes.

Your ignorance is shown by the statement "if you want to be known by something different your just trying to prove your superior to someone who doesn't get it and you enjoy making that person feel stupid". You have no idea what or how a person feels nor their motivations for changing pronouns, to tar everyone with the same brush is where issues lie. "

This..

Inflammatory assumptions totally unnecessary to what is for some a valid point..

For this old git it's all a bit confusing but I try and stick with the idea of keeping an open mind and affording respect to others..

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

I pretty much agree with everything here. I don't want to actively avoid these discussions out of fear of getting something wrong but it's something you feel you have to do to avoid unintentionally offending someone but that's not good either because you want to try and be more open minded

"I'll be totally honest here... I don't actually care what anyone's pronouns are, I also don't care what someone might refer to me as. (you can call that privileged if you want, again, I don't care)

If you look female and I refer to you as one, but you identify as a him and get offended, that's your problem, not mine

If you tell me up front what your pronoun is so I have no excuse to get it wrong, I probably won't ever refer to you as I won't be in a situation where you are present, not because I'm anti-pronoun types, I just won't have anything in common with you on any level to need to refer to you,we would move in different circles.

The world has just become a place for people to get offended over the smallest of thing, identify as a post box if you want, just don't get offended when I call you a her because you're wearing a skirt and have DD breasts.

I can't actually recall EVER being offended by anything someone has said to me, life's to short to give a fuck about what comes out of someone else's mouth.

I look forward to joining your blocked user list "

Can I take it you don’t have a job, friends, family or ever leave the house?

walsall

"Just call everyone “they”

Sorted

Anyone asking for more isn’t worth your time "

She/her for me please.

Sorted

She/her for me please."

Me too please

Paradise, Herts

Sorted

She/her for me please.

Me too please "

Me three. I don’t want to be a “they” thanks

Manchester (she/her)

"Love it when people show their true colours so early on.

Again, the forums are a great filter."

[Removed by poster at 28/06/22 09:59:25]

Paradise, Herts

Again, the forums are a great filter.

"

Llanelli

Sorted

She/her for me please.

Me too please

Me three. I don’t want to be a “they” thanks "

Not they for me either thank you, I'll take he/him or being called by my name but also having said this I'm not all that bothered

[Removed by poster at 28/06/22 10:02:37]

Paradise, Herts

Sorted

She/her for me please.

Me too please

Not they for me either thank you, I'll take he/him or being called by my name but also having said this I'm not all that bothered "

Not being bothered, arsed or offended makes for a much happier life I find. Only my personal

Opinion of course

Unless I know or have been informed to what pronoun a person (or other) wants to be referred to I will use the pronoun Oi or just use names, that way surely I can’t offend anyone or ruin anyones day/life/mental health (shrug)

I am not ignorant to anyones wants or feelings but I am reluctant to offend

Llanelli

Sorted

She/her for me please.

Me too please

Not they for me either thank you, I'll take he/him or being called by my name but also having said this I'm not all that bothered

Not being bothered, arsed or offended makes for a much happier life I find. Only my personal

Opinion of course "

I think so, what people say doesn't really change anything for me personally. Words only ever carry the weight the person receiving them gives to them

Boo's World

"Unless I know or have been informed to what pronoun a person (or other) wants to be referred to I will use the pronoun Oi or just use names, that way surely I can’t offend anyone or ruin anyones day/life/mental health (shrug)

I am not ignorant to anyones wants or feelings but I am reluctant to offend "

This completely

By *awteeMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Yeh I don’t really understand this stuff, I see he’s & she’s, everything else is just someones own delusion that they are not a he or she and are something else. If it makes them happy then crack on but I’m not indulging in it

Norfolk/Suffolk

"Yeh I don’t really understand this stuff, I see he’s & she’s, everything else is just someones own delusion that they are not a he or she and are something else. If it makes them happy then crack on but I’m not indulging in it"

Delusion? Indulging?

You don't have to understand, you don't need to question anything. Just let people be.

This!

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m fine with it all, diversity and inclusion is a great thing, the uk isn’t doing a bad job too.

As long as you can tell jokes and laugh about yourself. The non-binary people I know have a sense of humour , not like some here

I just think there’s a hardcore of awkward fuckers insisting on being offended so they can be victims. How about ‘awkward fucker’ as a new pronoun ?

Most trans people don’t get if you misgender us accidentally as most of the time it’s just a mistake…as look as you correct yourself and move on there’s no problem. Misgendering us on purpose is another story. I’ve had arguments where I’ve corrected people that I use they/them and they still insist on using she/her. That’s when it’s a problem. Even as a trans person I misgender people sometimes. I just apologise, correct myself and move on. It’s not a big deal.

"I’m fine with it all, diversity and inclusion is a great thing, the uk isn’t doing a bad job too.

As long as you can tell jokes and laugh about yourself. The non-binary people I know have a sense of humour , not like some here

I just think there’s a hardcore of awkward fuckers insisting on being offended so they can be victims. How about ‘awkward fucker’ as a new pronoun ? "

"Most trans people don’t get if you misgender us accidentally as most of the time it’s just a mistake…as look as you correct yourself and move on there’s no problem. Misgendering us on purpose is another story. I’ve had arguments where I’ve corrected people that I use they/them and they still insist on using she/her. That’s when it’s a problem. Even as a trans person I misgender people sometimes. I just apologise, correct myself and move on. It’s not a big deal. "

Don’t get upset*

By *eadinthecloudsMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I really can't begin to put myself in your frame of mind mate. We're on 2 totally different worlds.

Why would you want to actively rant about people just being comfortable within themselves?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

It is interesting that nearly all the people on this thread declaring that pronouns don't matter are the same ones that have a shit fit every time they get referred to as cisgender.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I really can't begin to put myself in your frame of mind mate. We're on 2 totally different worlds.

Why would you want to actively rant about people just being comfortable within themselves?

"

^^^This

Manchester (she/her)

"It is interesting that nearly all the people on this thread declaring that pronouns don't matter are the same ones that have a shit fit every time they get referred to as cisgender."

"It is interesting that nearly all the people on this thread declaring that pronouns don't matter are the same ones that have a shit fit every time they get referred to as cisgender."

Spot on

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Paradise, Herts

Who? I’m on here quite a lot and not seen that. And you say “nearly all the people”?

By *atermelodyMan  over a year ago

Northampton

Attention seekers who are not all there in the head Yes i said it!

sedgemoor

I’d like to ask that all of them mudslinging stop please because it’s not very nice to see.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Most trans people don’t get if you misgender us accidentally as most of the time it’s just a mistake…as look as you correct yourself and move on there’s no problem. Misgendering us on purpose is another story. I’ve had arguments where I’ve corrected people that I use they/them and they still insist on using she/her. That’s when it’s a problem. Even as a trans person I misgender people sometimes. I just apologise, correct myself and move on. It’s not a big deal. "
Absolutely this - it is a problem when it is used in a passive-aggressive way. Well actually it probably is not even passive-aggressive or micro-aggressive but just aggressive.

"Attention seekers who are not all there in the head Yes i said it!"

You do realise you have pronouns too, yes?

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Yup! Xx

Paradise, Herts

This is why a proper adult conversation cannot be had. Someone makes a made up comment and 4 people have agreed with it.

If you’d all refer to me as ‘oi you’.

That’ll work for me.

"This is why a proper adult conversation cannot be had. Someone makes a made up comment and 4 people have agreed with it. "

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"It is interesting that nearly all the people on this thread declaring that pronouns don't matter are the same ones that have a shit fit every time they get referred to as cisgender.

Who? I’m on here quite a lot and not seen that. And you say “nearly all the people”? "

I did say "nearly all" rather than "all". It's good to know though that you are perfectly happy being referred to as a cis woman, and not at all bothered what pronouns people use for you.

Manchester (she/her)

"This is why a proper adult conversation cannot be had. Someone makes a made up comment and 4 people have agreed with it. "

So because five people disagree with you, you've declared that the conversation is improper?

Sorry, but you're not the arbiter of all of this.

It is something I have observed. It is clearly something Polly and others have observed.

Paradise, Herts

"It is interesting that nearly all the people on this thread declaring that pronouns don't matter are the same ones that have a shit fit every time they get referred to as cisgender.

Who? I’m on here quite a lot and not seen that. And you say “nearly all the people”?

I did say "nearly all" rather than "all". It's good to know though that you are perfectly happy being referred to as a cis woman, and not at all bothered what pronouns people use for you."

I’m a woman. But I’ve not had a shit fit about it. Whatever that is.

w

I did say "nearly all" rather than "all". It's good to know though that you are perfectly happy being referred to as a cis woman, and not at all bothered what pronouns people use for you."

I’ve personally never seen anyone get annoyed at being called cis

Are you making this up to prove a point? Or have I missed something in the forum?

Paradise, Herts

"This is why a proper adult conversation cannot be had. Someone makes a made up comment and 4 people have agreed with it.

So because five people disagree with you, you've declared that the conversation is improper?

It is something I have observed. It is clearly something Polly and others have observed."

Disagree with me? I haven’t had an opinion on the matter. I’d like to know who nearly the all the people on here who’ve had a shit fit because of being called cis gender are?

By *ustme34Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Not meaning to be rude to anyone.. i just dont get any of it . I dont understand the need for any of it.

Ugh more profesionals

It's no skin off my nose to use someone's preferred pronouns. I'd prefer them to know I want to treat them with respect.

I can't say I won't falter, because I forget where I left my keys all the time, let alone what I had for tea last week.

ashford

I did say "nearly all" rather than "all". It's good to know though that you are perfectly happy being referred to as a cis woman, and not at all bothered what pronouns people use for you.

Are you making this up to prove a point? Or have I missed something in the forum? "

Obviously missed it! Not just this thread but on many! X

Manchester (she/her)

"This is why a proper adult conversation cannot be had. Someone makes a made up comment and 4 people have agreed with it.

It is something I have observed. It is clearly something Polly and others have observed.

Disagree with me? I haven’t had an opinion on the matter. I’d like to know who nearly the all the people on here who’ve had a shit fit because of being called cis gender are? "

"Someone makes a made up comment". Your words. You're saying what Polly says is false or imaginary.

Because people agree with Polly, you believe that a "proper adult conversation" is impossible.

Again, your words.

You seem to have a problem with it, in any case. And you've both insisted on your pronouns, in this very thread, while indicating that others should be denied the same courtesy.

Looks a bit like a shit fit to me. Things must be as you say and no one can disagree or else you pick up your bat and ball and go home, saying it's all invalid.

Norfolk/Suffolk

"Not meaning to be rude to anyone.. i just dont get any of it . I dont understand the need for any of it. "

Until you are in the position of needing to understand or wanting to be recognised in a specific way you don't necessarily have to get it. You are lucky

ashford

"Not meaning to be rude to anyone.. i just dont get any of it . I dont understand the need for any of it.

Until you are in the position of needing to understand or wanting to be recognised in a specific way you don't necessarily have to get it. You are lucky"

Absolutely this x

By *eliusMan  over a year ago

Henlow

I get called miss all the time when I work in schools. I feel belittled, offended, upset why .. wait - no I don’t. I couldn’t give a fuck.

If you want to be referred to as ‘they’ and you tell me that, then I’ll make every effort to remember that, but if I forget so what, I get my children’s names wrong most of the time…

I don’t think they/them etc are trying to be superior. I don’t believe any title makes anyone feel superior even Her Maj … ok not a good example. But you get my point superior it ain’t meant to be!

So, tell me your pro nouns and I’ll accommodate you to the best of my cognitive abilities.

Manchester (she/her)

"Not meaning to be rude to anyone.. i just dont get any of it . I dont understand the need for any of it.

Until you are in the position of needing to understand or wanting to be recognised in a specific way you don't necessarily have to get it. You are lucky

Absolutely this x"

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I've personally seen people who have a preference for she/her and he/him on the forums. I've also seen several people correct someone who misgendered by mistake on a thread, which I felt was really uncalled for. Because they didn't agree with his point of view. Use of pronouns should not be weaponised by either side.

And with regards to cis I only tend to use it when discussing trans and cis genders for clarity. I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue about it only that they have a preference to just be called woman. I struggle with these debates in all honesty. We're to respect the pronouns someone wants to use if they aren't the standard ones, which I totally agree with. Surely the same courtesy needs to be applied with other descriptors?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I must admit... Often times especially in these threads, the debates to have a feeling of some folks airing their own perceived awareness as superior and talking down to others. I also don't understand why we need quite so many pronouns and why it is certain people are so offended when the one they choose is not used. As of everybody knows and it means enough to others. I wouldn't want to cause any offence to anyone but it has a feeling of making something unnecessarily complicated. Almost one of those.. If you know you know and if you don't know you are ignorant and I will take offence type conversations.

Manchester (she/her)

"I get called miss all the time when I work in schools. I feel belittled, offended, upset why .. wait - no I don’t. I couldn’t give a fuck.

If you want to be referred to as ‘they’ and you tell me that, then I’ll make every effort to remember that, but if I forget so what, I get my children’s names wrong most of the time…

I don’t think they/them etc are trying to be superior. I don’t believe any title makes anyone feel superior even Her Maj … ok not a good example. But you get my point superior it ain’t meant to be!

So, tell me your pro nouns and I’ll accommodate you to the best of my cognitive abilities."

Exactly. It's just basic fucking courtesy to try to treat people as they want to be treated.

Paradise, Herts

Disagree with me? I haven’t had an opinion on the matter. I’d like to know who nearly the all the people on here who’ve had a shit fit because of being called cis gender are?

"Someone makes a made up comment". Your words. You're saying what Polly says is false or imaginary.

Because people agree with Polly, you believe that a "proper adult conversation" is impossible.

Again, your words.

You seem to have a problem with it, in any case. And you've both insisted on your pronouns, in this very thread, while indicating that others should be denied the same courtesy.

Looks a bit like a shit fit to me. Things must be as you say and no one can disagree or else you pick up your bat and ball and go home, saying it's all invalid."

Because it is a made up comment made unnecessarily to create controversy.

Where have I indicated anyone should be denied anything?

Norfolk/Suffolk

Is that because they just don't know? Not necessarily ignorant, more uneducated?

I have no idea about most of this stuff to be honest

Paradise, Herts

"I've personally seen people who have a preference for she/her and he/him on the forums. I've also seen several people correct someone who misgendered by mistake on a thread, which I felt was really uncalled for. Because they didn't agree with his point of view. Use of pronouns should not be weaponised by either side.

And with regards to cis I only tend to use it when discussing trans and cis genders for clarity. I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue about it only that they have a preference to just be called woman. I struggle with these debates in all honesty. We're to respect the pronouns someone wants to use if they aren't the standard ones, which I totally agree with. Surely the same courtesy needs to be applied with other descriptors? "

w

Are you making this up to prove a point? Or have I missed something in the forum?

Obviously missed it! Not just this thread but on many! X"

On many? And I’ve missed them all?

I think it’s made up to prove a point. Just my experience. Never seen anyone on this forum lose their shot over being labelled cisgendered. Let alone “nearly everyone on this thread”.

Manchester (she/her)

Again, your words.

Looks a bit like a shit fit to me. Things must be as you say and no one can disagree or else you pick up your bat and ball and go home, saying it's all invalid.

Where have I indicated anyone should be denied anything?"

Are you calling Polly a liar? Are you saying that those indicating agreement are also lying?

Maybe other people - including Polly, who is in fact trans and has real lived experience of this - have a different perspective to you?

Maybe your perspective is not the sole objective truth?

Paradise, Herts

Again, your words.

Looks a bit like a shit fit to me. Things must be as you say and no one can disagree or else you pick up your bat and ball and go home, saying it's all invalid."

And that last paragraph I don’t even know how you came to that conclusion so I really can’t think of anything to say to it.

"I get called miss all the time when I work in schools. I feel belittled, offended, upset why .. wait - no I don’t. I couldn’t give a fuck.

So, tell me your pro nouns and I’ll accommodate you to the best of my cognitive abilities.

Exactly. It's just basic fucking courtesy to try to treat people as they want to be treated. "

Goes both ways....treat people who might get it wrong with some courtesy as well...if its a genuine mistake cant you just let it slide without correcting them to make them feel stupid and that they might have caused upset unknowingly

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

It's sad that so many people still have a mindset of "this isn't an issue for me, therefore if it's an issue for you you're being ridiculous"

People are different. It costs nothing to dial down the hostility at new ideas and just roll with them.

sedgemoor

Exactly. It's just basic fucking courtesy to try to treat people as they want to be treated.

Goes both ways....treat people who might get it wrong with some courtesy as well...if its a genuine mistake cant you just let it slide without correcting them to make them feel stupid and that they might have caused upset unknowingly "

No, it’s not up to the person who’s been upset to manage the emotions of someone else. The only thing that matters is replying with respect and educating someone.

If someone is polite when they inform you of their pronouns and you get upset that is on you, it’s not on them to do.

Paradise, Herts

Again, your words.

Are you calling Polly a liar? Are you saying that those indicating agreement are also lying?

Maybe other people - including Polly, who is in fact trans and has real lived experience of this - have a different perspective to you?

Maybe your perspective is not the sole objective truth?"

I know Polly is trans. I have met her. It’s not about perspectives. It’s about the “nearly all the people on the thread” comment. Perhaps you should re - read what I said.

London

Goes both ways....treat people who might get it wrong with some courtesy as well...if its a genuine mistake cant you just let it slide without correcting them to make them feel stupid and that they might have caused upset unknowingly "

If you don't correct someone they'll keep getting it wrong. I personally would rather know.

If you called someone Dave when their name is Steve, wouldn't you want them to tell you?

It doesn't have to be a bigger deal than getting someone's name right.

ashford

Of course! If a genuine mistake! I get that as a mother of a transgender daughter! Having been calling up the stairs Micheal for 18 years to suddenly calling Sophie your dinners ready! I slipped at times and said wrong name and felt awful enough! But it's when u get people doing it purposefully! Seen it lots in the forums x

Paradise, Herts

Goes both ways....treat people who might get it wrong with some courtesy as well...if its a genuine mistake cant you just let it slide without correcting them to make them feel stupid and that they might have caused upset unknowingly

Of course! If a genuine mistake! I get that as a mother of a transgender daughter! Having been calling up the stairs Micheal for 18 years to suddenly calling Sophie your dinners ready! I slipped at times and said wrong name and felt awful enough! But it's when u get people doing it purposefully! Seen it lots in the forums x"

Doing it purposefully is just downright disrespectful and nasty.

Manchester (she/her)

What's wrong with a gentle, basic correction? Same as if I'm ever called sir, which happens. Oh, my name is (unambiguously female name).

Manchester (she/her)

Again, your words.

I know Polly is trans. I have met her. It’s not about perspectives. It’s about the “nearly all the people on the thread” comment. Perhaps you should re - read what I said. "

I have, thank you, and I think Polly's perspective is correct.

Even if you disagree, it hardly rises to made up nonsense. It's a difference in reading threads. Everyone reads these things differently, as you're well aware.

Boo's World

Again, your words.

I know Polly is trans. I have met her. It’s not about perspectives. It’s about the “nearly all the people on the thread” comment. Perhaps you should re - read what I said. "

This is the problems with threads like these that people do not read correctly what someone says and switch it in their own minds to make someone else's statement a problem when it actually isn't and never was!

Terra Firma

A persons name is not a pronoun, it is a proper noun.

Paradise, Herts

Again, your words.

I know Polly is trans. I have met her. It’s not about perspectives. It’s about the “nearly all the people on the thread” comment. Perhaps you should re - read what I said.

Even if you disagree, it hardly rises to made up nonsense. It's a difference in reading threads. Everyone reads these things differently, as you're well aware."

I’m afraid it does. She stated a fact. It’s not correct. Unless you’d like to show me where nearly all the people on this thread have had a fit about being called cis - gender. You have no argument I’m afraid Swing. Because what was said isn’t true.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I couldn't disagree with you more. Imagine if every time I spoke to you I used female pronouns. You even ask me not to and I continue to do so. Would you really be ok with that?

I know quite a few people who prefer a different pronoun. I mess up sometimes and they either let it go or calmly correct me. Usually you will only get a bad reaction if they think that you are doing it on purpose because YOU decide that you can choose their pronouns.

Tin town

Just a genuine question. How often during a day does someone have their pronouns used? I know I don't walk around asking people to call me "Mr". If a parent is getting their own kids names wrong, can't we breathe a little bit when strangers get a pronoun "wrong".

Manchester

Again, your words.

This is the problems with threads like these that people do not read correctly what someone says and switch it in their own minds to make someone else's statement a problem when it actually isn't and never was! "

Humans aren't very good at debate. We're chokka full of biases and often oblivious to them.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I've been thinking about last night's thread, and I think what I still struggle with is the concept of gender as a spectrum, when just about everyone I've ever met in nearly 50 years has appeared to cope perfectly well with either

Being one and feeling the same

Being one and feeling the other

So adjusting to a situation where people may also be

Being one and feeling neither

Being one and feeling both, to a varying degree

Is a big change.

I remain willing, committed even, to facilitating anyone's preferences on request, but my inner data-nerd still struggles with that fourth group needing a personalised label for everyone, not one they can share.

Peace.

Tin town

Of course! If a genuine mistake! I get that as a mother of a transgender daughter! Having been calling up the stairs Micheal for 18 years to suddenly calling Sophie your dinners ready! I slipped at times and said wrong name and felt awful enough! But it's when u get people doing it purposefully! Seen it lots in the forums x

Doing it purposefully is just downright disrespectful and nasty. "

Yep it is... But then you have the challenge of working out if it was on purpose or by mistake.

Paradise, Herts

Doing it purposefully is just downright disrespectful and nasty.

Yep it is... But then you have the challenge of working out if it was on purpose or by mistake. "

True but to be honest I think it can be pretty obvious who’s doing it to be nasty.

"Just a genuine question. How often during a day does someone have their pronouns used? I know I don't walk around asking people to call me "Mr". If a parent is getting their own kids names wrong, can't we breathe a little bit when strangers get a pronoun "wrong". "

Mr is your title. You probably don't know how many times a day you are referred to as "he", because you're not present for at least some of them.

Manchester (she/her)

Again, your words.

Even if you disagree, it hardly rises to made up nonsense. It's a difference in reading threads. Everyone reads these things differently, as you're well aware.

I’m afraid it does. She stated a fact. It’s not correct. Unless you’d like to show me where nearly all the people on this thread have had a fit about being called cis - gender. You have no argument I’m afraid Swing. Because what was said isn’t true. "

Declaring things true because you say so is more in the genre of virus forum, but ok, you do you.

London

"when just about everyone I've ever met in nearly 50 years has appeared to cope perfectly well with either

"

The key word is "appeared".

People are only just beginning to talk about these things openly, and even now they face hostility for doing so, as evidenced by these forum threads.

There's a good chance you've known people who would have preferred to have been "out" as a different gender to the one you knew them as.

Tin town

"Just a genuine question. How often during a day does someone have their pronouns used? I know I don't walk around asking people to call me "Mr". If a parent is getting their own kids names wrong, can't we breathe a little bit when strangers get a pronoun "wrong".

Mr is your title. You probably don't know how many times a day you are referred to as "he", because you're not present for at least some of them."

Oops yes "he" thank you... And if I'm not present it doesn't matter to me. Original question still stands though... How often in a day is my pronoun used in conversation with me.? In interactions about me it almost always "you" or "we".

Manchester (she/her)

"Just a genuine question. How often during a day does someone have their pronouns used? I know I don't walk around asking people to call me "Mr". If a parent is getting their own kids names wrong, can't we breathe a little bit when strangers get a pronoun "wrong". "

Do a little experiment.

Remove pronouns - I, we, you, he, she, it, they (and all derivatives like me, her, etc) from your language for half an hour. Then come back to me.

Balls to it all, whatever you identify as, your religious beliefs, your sex or sexuality, colour or creed just don’t be a twat simples

Manchester (she/her)

"Just a genuine question. How often during a day does someone have their pronouns used? I know I don't walk around asking people to call me "Mr". If a parent is getting their own kids names wrong, can't we breathe a little bit when strangers get a pronoun "wrong".

Mr is your title. You probably don't know how many times a day you are referred to as "he", because you're not present for at least some of them.

Oops yes "he" thank you... And if I'm not present it doesn't matter to me. Original question still stands though... How often in a day is my pronoun used in conversation with me.? In interactions about me it almost always "you" or "we".

"

You is a pronoun.

It's like - I'm assuming you're a cisgender man for the purposes of - someone going around calling you a woman. I gather it's worse, but as a cisgender woman that's the closest I've got. For me it's jarring and irritating at a minimum.

Terra Firma

Do a little experiment.

Remove pronouns - I, we, you, he, she, it, they (and all derivatives like me, her, etc) from your language for half an hour. Then come back to me."

Is it only personal pronouns or can relative and possessive be used too?

Manchester (she/her)

Do a little experiment.

Remove pronouns - I, we, you, he, she, it, they (and all derivatives like me, her, etc) from your language for half an hour. Then come back to me.

Is it only personal pronouns or can relative and possessive be used too? "

Fucked if I know

Removing pronouns sounds like too much of a pain in my arse

w

Again, your words.

I’m afraid it does. She stated a fact. It’s not correct. Unless you’d like to show me where nearly all the people on this thread have had a fit about being called cis - gender. You have no argument I’m afraid Swing. Because what was said isn’t true.

Declaring things true because you say so is more in the genre of virus forum, but ok, you do you."

Actually making a statement with nothing backing it up is for the virus forum

Especially when everyone has a post history, so backing it up, if it was true, wouldn’t be hard

You’d fit right in

Manchester (she/her)

Again, your words.

Declaring things true because you say so is more in the genre of virus forum, but ok, you do you.

Especially when everyone has a post history, so backing it up, if it was true, wouldn’t be hard

You’d fit right in "

The posts are right there to read. Along with, as you say, posting history.

Polly has made an observation that others have agreed with. Declaring it invalid by fiat is absurd.

w

Again, your words.

You’d fit right in

Polly has made an observation that others have agreed with. Declaring it invalid by fiat is absurd."

It’s not on anyone but polly to back it up. To just agree with it when you haven’t seen proof would be idiotic. Which is why I don’t

Paradise, Herts

Again, your words.

You’d fit right in

Polly has made an observation that others have agreed with. Declaring it invalid by fiat is absurd.

It’s not on anyone but polly to back it up. To just agree with it when you haven’t seen proof would be idiotic. Which is why I don’t "

Exactly! Show me where and I’ll be the first to apologise (to Polly) and take it all back.

Tin town

You is a pronoun.

It's like - I'm assuming you're a cisgender man for the purposes of - someone going around calling you a woman. I gather it's worse, but as a cisgender woman that's the closest I've got. For me it's jarring and irritating at a minimum."

In my interactions during a day. My gender or the gender of my pronouns never comes up. Unless "you/we" has gender. The question and perhaps I need to be more precise... Was not how often are pronouns used. But how often mine that refer to me and in communication with me are used.

By *haron StonerTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

It's not a shit fit, it's a perfect fit description.

Sooooo tired of overly sensitive people who spend all day alone on the Internet building their perfect little world everybody else has to fit into.

Bollocks.

Manchester (she/her)

Again, your words.

You’d fit right in

It’s not on anyone but polly to back it up. To just agree with it when you haven’t seen proof would be idiotic. Which is why I don’t

Exactly! Show me where and I’ll be the first to apologise (to Polly) and take it all back. "

You insisted on your own pronouns and corrected cis woman to woman, in this very thread, for example. You're defending all of this pretty vociferously.

I don't think it's Polly engaging in made up nonsense here.

Paradise, Herts

Again, your words.

You’d fit right in

Exactly! Show me where and I’ll be the first to apologise (to Polly) and take it all back.

You insisted on your own pronouns and corrected cis woman to woman, in this very thread, for example. You're defending all of this pretty vociferously.

I don't think it's Polly engaging in made up nonsense here. "

Yes I did.

Could you expand a bit on that last sentence please? I’m confused

w

Again, your words.

You’d fit right in

I don't think it's Polly engaging in made up nonsense here. "

Ok, let’s for a minute pretend that’s right. Let’s pretend that’s Nora saying “ I like she/her” is equal to having a shit fit. Just pretend

That’s 1

How many is “nearly everyone”

That’s gotta be like 90% right? Let’s see the proof

This post is exactly why the vast majority of people block transgendered individuals from their profiles. The minefield that many of them sow is not worth the trouble of negotiating.

And I have just as much evidence for my statement as you do you for yours.

"when just about everyone I've ever met in nearly 50 years has appeared to cope perfectly well with either

The key word is "appeared".

People are only just beginning to talk about these things openly, and even now they face hostility for doing so, as evidenced by these forum threads.

There's a good chance you've known people who would have preferred to have been "out" as a different gender to the one you knew them as.

"

I used appeared, so as to avoid absolutes and making assumptions. I'm aware that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

"

This post is exactly why the vast majority of people block transgendered individuals from their profiles."

1. I don't agree that the vast majority block, but suspect neither of us could prove our case.

2. You can't possibly know the reasons why everybody that blocks trans, does so.

Again, the forums are a great filter."

the best of filters...I see some folk on threads and I just go and block them ...I don't want to ever risk me contacting them (because my memory is crap) or give them the opportunity to ever contact me ....Forums for the win ...carry on

Again, the forums are a great filter. the best of filters...I see some folk on threads and I just go and block them ...I don't want to ever risk me contacting them (because my memory is crap) or give them the opportunity to ever contact me ....Forums for the win ...carry on "

Ditto

"

This post is exactly why the vast majority of people block transgendered individuals from their profiles.

1. I don't agree that the vast majority block, but suspect neither of us could prove our case.

2. You can't possibly know the reasons why everybody that blocks trans, does so."

Yup I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever. And neither does the poster of the post I quoted. Great harm can be caused by false statements presented as fact.

"

This post is exactly why the vast majority of people block transgendered individuals from their profiles.

2. You can't possibly know the reasons why everybody that blocks trans, does so.

Yup I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever. And neither does the poster of the post I quoted. Great harm can be caused by false statements presented as fact."

So your post was knowingly bollocks to make that point, and in no way represented your opinion?

I think it’s made up to prove a point. Just my experience. Never seen anyone on this forum lose their shot over being labelled cisgendered. Let alone “nearly everyone on this thread”.

"

I've literally never seen this happen, and I spend my life on the forums.

BRIDPORT

That’s two threads on pronouns, can somebody do the next one on apostrophes and where and when they should be used please.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"That’s two threads on pronouns, can somebody do the next one on apostrophes and where and when they should be used please. "

Actually could do with that, and where to put full stops. I can write a sentence that's a paragraph long

To be honest I have a large circle of LGBTQ+ friends and whenever I've met someone non-binary they seem to make their whole life about it and spend all their time telling people about how much they don't conform. Most people are past all that now and will be happy to accept people however they are dressed or who they love. You'll always get the odd phobe but that's life.

I said it last night and I'll say it again: I really wish my life was that sunshine and rainbows that I had the energy to care so much about what word someone puts in front of my name

"I'll be totally honest here... I don't actually care what anyone's pronouns are, I also don't care what someone might refer to me as. (you can call that privileged if you want, again, I don't care)

I look forward to joining your blocked user list "

top reply??

Paradise, Herts

I've literally never seen this happen, and I spend my life on the forums. "

Me neither and I’ve somehow ended up in some ridiculous argument with someone who’s offended by proxy and been accused of all sorts! All I wanted was an explanation for the comment.

I’m taking my bat and ball now but if anyone seriously thinks I was out of order here in any of my comments please message me. I would welcome it.

Tin town

"To be honest I have a large circle of LGBTQ+ friends and whenever I've met someone non-binary they seem to make their whole life about it and spend all their time telling people about how much they don't conform. Most people are past all that now and will be happy to accept people however they are dressed or who they love. You'll always get the odd phobe but that's life.

I said it last night and I'll say it again: I really wish my life was that sunshine and rainbows that I had the energy to care so much about what word someone puts in front of my name "

Reading

I've literally never seen this happen, and I spend my life on the forums. "

My sister would but luckily also wouldn't be on this site.

My take on it as a gay man. Firstly it has nothing to do with sexuality but we are all lumped in together and I get it in the ear automatically from people ranting about it. Tiring to say the least.

Besides that, I have found non-binary people can be very militant on average, but they need to be patient with the wider public, both gay and straight, as many of us have only just become aware of all these pronouns.

On a closing note, I respect people if they want to use those pronouns but be patient with people

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Without wanting to get into a massive argument, I've heard people say they don't want to be labeled cis but have only ever seen one person on the forums get properly annoyed by the term and she isn't on this thread.

I guess you and I may have a different interpretation of "shit fit" though. If you're using it to encompass people who have merely stated a preference I suggest that you shouldn't be surprised when others do the same and accuse trans people of being things like militant, outspoken, attention seeking and the like when all they're doing is recording a preference. Trying to make out that the language/behaviour of a person with a different opinion is unreasonable is just a way of avoiding a proper debate about that behaviour. Instead, you paint it as infantile and then summarily dismiss it - I suspect this is what Nora means by not being able to have an adult conversation.

From what I see most people don't really care that much, they'll do their best to accommodate others wishes it's just that no-one likes being told what to do, especially by strangers and even more so if what they're being told to do seems alien to them. The idea that they're being told they have to behave in a certain way as opposed to asked is subjective. It seems to me if you want people to believe that you are merely requesting something, not ramming it down their throats then it's perhaps best not to massively exaggerate your perception of their behaviour in return. Telling someone they ought to respect your choices but describing them expressing theirs as having a shit fit isn't going to help anyone.

I mean it may just be that you're a flamboyant personality and regularly use shit fit to describe everyday interactions but from what I've seen Poly, you are usually a very well reasoned and careful thinker.

Mr

ashford

Again, the forums are a great filter. the best of filters...I see some folk on threads and I just go and block them ...I don't want to ever risk me contacting them (because my memory is crap) or give them the opportunity to ever contact me ....Forums for the win ...carry on "

I use the private notes for this as my memory not good either x

Reading

Many names have diminutives. I use a couple for my name. But if someone kept using a diminutive that I don't ever use such as Kath I would correct them as I don't see myself as a Kath. If they then kept calling me Kath I would get pretty annoyed.

No.

ashford

"

Yup u must have missed them all I'm guessing! X

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"Not meaning to be rude to anyone.. i just dont get any of it . I dont understand the need for any of it. "

That's fine and means it doesn't matter to you, which is probably the same for most people tbh.

But understanding that it might mean a lot to someone else, and doing your best not to purposely upset them, is just a nice thing to do.

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

Ignorance.You have answered your own problem, you are ignorant. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge of something, usually totally unknown and different to them. Why not take the take to educate yourself and not be so ignorant. You may not accept but gain some understanding. I can be real pain in the ass when I encounter something new to me. I want to know about it, whats behind it, why this and why that ect...Ive messaged many people off the back of threads because I either new nothing or wanted to understand better. When I have I have never offended anyone ( that I'm aware of) but ive taken the time to educate myself on something I knew nothing or little about. To learn, to see things from a different perspective, to see the person behind it all. If you know nothing ( which you clearly dont here even you admit that) then you dont have a right to an opinion on it. You have to understand it first then decide to accept it or not. People dont seem to get mad when I ask questions, embrace it. There was a girl here once ( how she liked to be identified) who I learnt so much from, another guy ( gay ) who explained to me the top/bottom thing after I asked randomly if they have to make sure before hand they wernt both top or bottom and if its a deal breaker.

Ignorance..lack of knowlage and the unknown. People are scared of the unknown and what is foregin to them. That only happens when they dont take the time to educate themselves. Why not take the time to learn about a subject, whatever it is, before casting judgment over something you know nothing about?

By *ed VoluptaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral.

"My take on it as a gay man. Firstly it has nothing to do with sexuality but we are all lumped in together and I get it in the ear automatically from people ranting about it. Tiring to say the least.

Besides that, I have found non-binary people can be very militant on average, but they need to be patient with the wider public, both gay and straight, as many of us have only just become aware of all these pronouns.

On a closing note, I respect people if they want to use those pronouns but be patient with people "

This. I've spent over 50 yrs referring to folk as he/she. Recently that's included trans folk I've encountered on here. I hope I've not gotten it wrong. I have gone through life referring to folk by what I perceive them to be - TVs as she, if in female dress, and so on. I thought I was doing ok.

I've only ever heard the phrase cisgender on here, & until last night I thought they/them was the only option. And, let's be honest, the last time I had to grapple with pronouns was in school!

I'm old fashioned, give me time to try to get my head around it & don't beat me with a stick if I get it wrong!

Shangri-La

I used to just block. Now i dont so much as like the notes bit on someones profile. So if they do message I can tell them why I dont wanna know. Then block them lol

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"

That's fine and means it doesn't matter to you, which is probably the same for most people tbh.

But understanding that it might mean a lot to someone else, and doing your best not to purposely upset them, is just a nice thing to do."

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I see a point here. I think it's about identifying the nuance between someone who is frustrated about how they are addressed/recognised (especially when appearance would lead any respectful person not to assume) and those people out there (who do exist) that delight in leading people into a language trap and beating them with it. Some people are just dicks and they span the whole spectrum of human differences. I think generally there is a blind eye in recognising that some member's of marginalised or oppressed groups can also be dicks. Which I find in a way is in it's self a bit patronising to say members of these groups by saying they can't be dicks just like anyone else. Naturally these people can draw on their differences as a tool to point score or belittle someone for their own gratification. To call such people out is not an attack people who indentify with different pronouns, it's an attack on those with dickish behaviour. It's all about common sense and understanding. Understanding when someone has a fair beef and when someone is being a dick. Understanding when someone has with no ill intent miss labelled someone and when they're deliberately miss-labelling to be disrespectful. In my book a good guide to this is looking at the way people interact and seeing if there is genuine respect shown to each other or not.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 28/06/22 13:47:26]

Terra Firma

I might have this wrong, but I will put it out there.

If someones pronoun is they / them, surely they will never be referred to that in person. The same as he / she, you are talking to someone else.

Which leads me to ask when do people get offended? Is it a specific moment?

Let me know id I have got this wrong

"I might have this wrong, but I will put it out there.

If someones pronoun is they / them, surely they will never be referred to that in person. The same as he / she, you are talking to someone else.

"

Imagine you're standing in a group with 3 or 4 other people. You are talking to the group abouot one member of that group. You will at that point use third person singular pronouns wehn talking about that individual, because to use their name EVERY time wouldn't work.

"Bob and Bob's kids are hosting a barbeque at Bob's house on Saturday"

or

"Bob and his kids are hosting a barbeque at his house on Saturday"

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"

Any time you are out with more than one person it comes up.

"He was just telling me about"

"She was late but I love her"

"They brought me this lovely watch"

All completely valid and realistic things to happen while the person being spoken about is there listening

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"My take on it as a gay man. Firstly it has nothing to do with sexuality but we are all lumped in together and I get it in the ear automatically from people ranting about it. Tiring to say the least.

On a closing note, I respect people if they want to use those pronouns but be patient with people

This. I've spent over 50 yrs referring to folk as he/she. Recently that's included trans folk I've encountered on here. I hope I've not gotten it wrong. I have gone through life referring to folk by what I perceive them to be - TVs as she, if in female dress, and so on. I thought I was doing ok.

I've only ever heard the phrase cisgender on here, & until last night I thought they/them was the only option. And, let's be honest, the last time I had to grapple with pronouns was in school!

I'm old fashioned, give me time to try to get my head around it & don't beat me with a stick if I get it wrong! "

This. I've never felt the need to educate myself either because as strange as it may seem I don't know any openly gay, trans or non binary people. I have no idea what cis even means.

I will more than likely make mistakes but that's life and anyone taking offence because I have too many other things to concern myself with and don't have time to educate myself in an ever changing and evolving world needs to give their head a wobble.

Shangri-La

"

I dont think when talking to someone I ever say she/he/they. Just you? Like i wouldnt say does she want to go to the pub tonight? when stood chatting to them, its do you want to go to the pub tonight?

Eastbourne (she/they)

I do find it interesting that there are a number of people that show little to no interest in the idea of respecting others correct pronouns, but will make an entire post about how their pronouns are xxx/xxx.

Was the hypocrisy lost?

Manchester

This is a great idea. I'm stealing it

Terra Firma

Imagine you're standing in a group with 3 or 4 other people. You are talking to the group abouot one member of that group. You will at that point use third person singular pronouns wehn talking about that individual, because to use their name EVERY time wouldn't work.

"Bob and Bob's kids are hosting a barbeque at Bob's house on Saturday"

or

"Bob and his kids are hosting a barbeque at his house on Saturday"

"

Got it. How would that sentence be if Bob was they / them? Would it just be Bob's kids?

"I do find it interesting that there are a number of people that show little to no interest in the idea of respecting others correct pronouns, but will make an entire post about how their pronouns are xxx/xxx.

Was the hypocrisy lost?"

Plsssss who are these people?

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I do find it interesting that there are a number of people that show little to no interest in the idea of respecting others correct pronouns, but will make an entire post about how their pronouns are xxx/xxx.

Was the hypocrisy lost?

Plsssss who are these people? "

Naming and shaming is against forum rules, scroll up

Again, the forums are a great filter. the best of filters...I see some folk on threads and I just go and block them ...I don't want to ever risk me contacting them (because my memory is crap) or give them the opportunity to ever contact me ....Forums for the win ...carry on

I used to just block. Now i dont so much as like the notes bit on someones profile. So if they do message I can tell them why I dont wanna know. Then block them lol"

that is extra savage , I'm adopting this lol

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"Im gonna show my ignorance here but....if you want to be known by something different your just trying to prove your superior to someone who doesn't get it and you enjoy making that person feel stupid...if someone mis pronouns you just ignore it....be happy that you know who you are...most people don't care,they just tolerate your game,this is nothing against those but I find it strange that people get upset when wrongly referred to as miss or mr or him her them they....just identify as you...someone getting it wrong ruins 5 seconds of your day so just enjoy all the other seconds

Ignorance.You have answered your own problem, you are ignorant. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge of something, usually totally unknown and different to them. Why not take the take to educate yourself and not be so ignorant. You may not accept but gain some understanding. I can be real pain in the ass when I encounter something new to me. I want to know about it, whats behind it, why this and why that ect...Ive messaged many people off the back of threads because I either new nothing or wanted to understand better. When I have I have never offended anyone ( that I'm aware of) but ive taken the time to educate myself on something I knew nothing or little about. To learn, to see things from a different perspective, to see the person behind it all. If you know nothing ( which you clearly dont here even you admit that) then you dont have a right to an opinion on it. You have to understand it first then decide to accept it or not. People dont seem to get mad when I ask questions, embrace it. There was a girl here once ( how she liked to be identified) who I learnt so much from, another guy ( gay ) who explained to me the top/bottom thing after I asked randomly if they have to make sure before hand they wernt both top or bottom and if its a deal breaker.

Ignorance..lack of knowlage and the unknown. People are scared of the unknown and what is foregin to them. That only happens when they dont take the time to educate themselves. Why not take the time to learn about a subject, whatever it is, before casting judgment over something you know nothing about?"

I like this approach, however you can only take it so far. Sometimes people assert things are true that others have said aren't the case. When you question this, one or other side has a tendency to take offence. The reality is, all this apprisch teaches you is the personal opinion of whoever you're asking. While two trans people will almost certainly have many life experiences in common (just as they'll share many others with cisgendered people) they won't all be the same and their opinion on what is or isn't acceptable will vary.

If I had the time/energy I could trawl back and maybe find the post where a gendered trans person expressed their personal opinion that people who claim to be non binary are often making it up for attention. For that particular trans person, their way of understanding their personal situation appears to be based on the belief that the body and brain can get mixed up (a male brain with a female body or vice versa) and this leaves no explanation for non binary. It was a thread where I tried to ask questions, got no consistent answers and appeared to annoy just about everyone.

I've become incredibly wary of asking about this topic because it is clear that the only way to avoid offending people is to nod in agreement with everything they say and that simply isn't me.

I've tried reading books by experts and trans people but the reality is I'm no more clued up about the best way to behave than I was before. Along the way I have learnt how the debate has been twisted, how inflammatory problems are used to create division and how much harder life can be for trans people. I also am privileged in that what pronoun to use really doesn't affect me so until it does I'll maintain an open mind and try to be kind to people whatever they think about it. In return I'll request that people realise I can barely rember peoples names, please don't expect me to remember your pronoun without occasional reminders.

Mr