FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Crossfit vs David Lloyd

Crossfit vs David Lloyd

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After starting to feel increasingly uncomfortable at my regular gym (bad cleanliness and just not very nice people) plus my trainer taking the piss recently with constantly cancelling/rescheduling sessions out of the blue, I've decided to move onto pastures new and need the good people of Fab to help me decide on some of the options I've been looking into...

Firstly, David Lloyd. It seems expensive, but honestly it doesn't work out at that much more than my current gym + PT. Plus you get access to racquet sports and a pool, which seems fun (honestly I've never done either, but you get free basic coaching from what I've gathered on the website so why the hell not).

On the other hand, I have a few friends who have gotten next level fit & healthy from crossfit (although to be fair they were pretty fit and healthy beforehand). It's the cheapest option of all, BUT the group aspect is scaring me - the workouts look HARD and I don't want to embarrass myself in front of people; that's a major part of why I hate going to the gym in the first place. Also it seems like cardio is a big component and I refuse to run in front of people I'd have to see regularly. Although it does seem like a good way to form friendships from what I've seen of my friends' experiences.

I have a free trial/tour booked in at both my closest DL club and CF box over the course of this week, but as always I am getting ahead of myself and wanting advice before I do the thing, thaaaanks.

PS if anyone has a third option pls share thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Since consistency is key, ask yourself what your actually gonna do?

The best gym in the world doesn’t work unless you use it

David Lloyd has the pools and sports options, a better gym selection for beginners then a CrossFit gym (no machines or cardio machines in CrossFit really)

CrossFit has a much better community feeling. Lots of friends to be made. But it’s basically pretty intense interval work. So easy days really. Some people like that. Some people don’t, they’d prefer to set the pace

What’s gonna work for you?

w

So no easy days really ***

By *erces LetiferMan  over a year ago

Somewhere off the edge of the map... 'ere there be monsters

I've looked into CrossFit before after hearing amazing things about it. Don't know anything at all about David Lloyd.

All I'd say about your CrossFit fears is that I'd always read that they really do cater to all levels, not just the superstar poster guys and gals. The intimidation factor of being group based might just be something you had to face head on by diving in? But also I imagine you'd be with others at the same newbie level? So shared fears / hardship making it better easier for all involved? Dunno.

You could always go in with an established group of a few friends? Or even just two or three? Or one??

But yeah, the amazing health benefits and also that social, tribal community aspect of it has always been a massive draw to me. If only I could afford it, as it's a pretty pricy option up here for gym!

"Since consistency is key, ask yourself what your actually gonna do?

David Lloyd has the pools and sports options, a better gym selection for beginners then a CrossFit gym (no machines or cardio machines in CrossFit really)

CrossFit has a much better community feeling. Lots of friends to be made. But it’s basically pretty intense interval work. So easy days really. Some people like that. Some people don’t, they’d prefer to set the pace

What’s gonna work for you? "

Honestly these are the questions I wanted people to answer for me

The sports at DL seem like a more enjoyable way to get fit, but I have found through having PT sessions that I achieve way more than I would by myself when I have someone pushing me hard. So I'm still really fucking confused basically.

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

What’s gonna work for you? "

Basically this. Both have positives and negatives, especially when pitched against each other. DL also allows you to have passes you can share with friends and family I believe, which is nice if you have people staying or want to extend to a family membership.

If you have the chance to trial both I’d do so but it will depend on what you want and which of the options will serve your needs better.

w

The sports at DL seem like a more enjoyable way to get fit, but I have found through having PT sessions that I achieve way more than I would by myself when I have someone pushing me hard. So I'm still really fucking confused basically. "

You’ve done the gym before. DL is no different

Sign up to CrossFit, you’ll get the 1st month or so cheap, maybe an intro class too.

If you don’t like it after a month or 2, leave and join DL

Sorted

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't know how experienced you are but given the question I would say If you're not comfortable with how to lift safely then I would strongly suggest you do not do crossfit. It can work really well for some people, but if it's done badly and with poor coaches you will most likely end up injured, my shoulder is messed up from making this mistake doing crossfit a few years ago and it's taken a couple of years to get it back to even be able to lift low loads safely.

I'd be suggesting you take a step back and look at what goals you want, do you want to improve cardio? strength? both? or do a specific sport well, then look at understanding what you want from a coach, is it the motivation? accountability? knowledge? nutrition advice?

From there you should look at finding somewhere to train with a coach who will help you work towards those goals. If you're looking at fitness classes then look for classes that are either cardio based or strength based and learn to do each of those well before going down the crossfit route.

Im a lloyds member, quite honestly its more than just a gym, i use many of the facilities, the classes are fantastic aswell, blaze is great and a rapid calorie burner

The sports at DL seem like a more enjoyable way to get fit, but I have found through having PT sessions that I achieve way more than I would by myself when I have someone pushing me hard. So I'm still really fucking confused basically.

You’ve done the gym before. DL is no different

Sign up to CrossFit, you’ll get the 1st month or so cheap, maybe an intro class too.

If you don’t like it after a month or 2, leave and join DL

Sorted "

Sounds so easy when you put it like that haha. Thanks

"I don't know how experienced you are but given the question I would say If you're not comfortable with how to lift safely then I would strongly suggest you do not do crossfit. It can work really well for some people, but if it's done badly and with poor coaches you will most likely end up injured, my shoulder is messed up from making this mistake doing crossfit a few years ago and it's taken a couple of years to get it back to even be able to lift low loads safely.

I'd be suggesting you take a step back and look at what goals you want, do you want to improve cardio? strength? both? or do a specific sport well, then look at understanding what you want from a coach, is it the motivation? accountability? knowledge? nutrition advice?

From there you should look at finding somewhere to train with a coach who will help you work towards those goals. If you're looking at fitness classes then look for classes that are either cardio based or strength based and learn to do each of those well before going down the crossfit route. "

I'm actually surprisingly good at lifting tbh. I just don't like people to watch me.

Stratford

"

I'm actually surprisingly good at lifting tbh. I just don't like people to watch me. "

I think you’ll find everyone is so focused on their own sessions they won’t be watching yours but I know you’ll be fine

Can’t really say as for the last 10 odd years dedicated a room in my house to turn it in to a gym

Single and life by my self

In a flat so instead off have a liveing room bed room toilet kitchen and bathroom

I have a bedroom / living room just like I would have if staying with parents

And turned what was ment to be a bedroom in to a full home gym

"

I'm actually surprisingly good at lifting tbh. I just don't like people to watch me.

I think you’ll find everyone is so focused on their own sessions they won’t be watching yours but I know you’ll be fine "

Yeah tell that to the multiple lads I've seen sniggering to their mates about me

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I have PT come to me once a week for weighted cardio , it works , he doesn’t let me cancel and pushes me way behind what is do myself but very expensive, but then I save on Everlast gym it’s £30 a month for gym, full size pool, sauna, jacuzzi and great socially. I also do drum and bass class £5 a week which is insane group cardio so all in all £200 a month for everything , way better than DL or CrossFit

Stratford

"

I think you’ll find everyone is so focused on their own sessions they won’t be watching yours but I know you’ll be fine

Yeah tell that to the multiple lads I've seen sniggering to their mates about me "

A) sorry that’s been your experience

B) it wasnt clear in my post but it was in reference to Crossfit, largely due to the community aspect

By *eliusMan  over a year ago

Henlow

You don’t need a gym. Just the motivation to exercise and eat well. You don’t needs loads of running/cardio. HiiT and Boxing workouts work just as well. You’ll be amazed at the results you can get from a simple 20 minute workout 2/3 times a week involving body weight and resistance band exercises. I’ve been running these types of sessions for clients and my martial arts clients as well as for myself.

Whichever way you choose to go though, gym, boot camp etc, it’s all down to you. Create good and regular habits stick to a plan and that’s most of the game plan.

w

"

Yeah tell that to the multiple lads I've seen sniggering to their mates about me "

Sorry to hear that

CrossFit gets a lot of stick for bad coaching, injury rates. But you can’t fault the community. You’ll make so many friends there in no time. Very supportive.

By *urora1912Woman  over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

I go to my local gym and see a PT, he's great at pushing me when I would of not really done it had I been in the gym on my own.

By *hesexpeopleCouple  over a year ago

s wales

The sports at DL seem like a more enjoyable way to get fit, but I have found through having PT sessions that I achieve way more than I would by myself when I have someone pushing me hard. So I'm still really fucking confused basically. "

I use a regular gym, I don’t enjoy CrossFit or HIIT workouts and like you I was really self conscious at the gym, I didn’t think I needed motivation to push myself, I thought I had that in the bag but I hired a PT at the gym to help me with form etc hoping I wouldn’t feel so self conscious about people judging me. It worked but I also realised I do need a push and worked twice as hard as I would have alone.

Do you have a third option of another gym with a really shit hot PT?

"

Yeah tell that to the multiple lads I've seen sniggering to their mates about me

Sorry to hear that

CrossFit gets a lot of stick for bad coaching, injury rates. But you can’t fault the community. You’ll make so many friends there in no time. Very supportive. "

Yeah I did recently see a video on YouTube of someone doing heavy lifts with zero spotting and bad form in a cf gym but people were cheering her on

I will say I have met some crossfitters at houseparties and they seem super passionate and supportive and just all round good peeps (they haven't seen me all red faced and sweaty yet though LOL)

I use a regular gym, I don’t enjoy CrossFit or HIIT workouts and like you I was really self conscious at the gym, I didn’t think I needed motivation to push myself, I thought I had that in the bag but I hired a PT at the gym to help me with form etc hoping I wouldn’t feel so self conscious about people judging me. It worked but I also realised I do need a push and worked twice as hard as I would have alone.

Do you have a third option of another gym with a really shit hot PT? "

No I've had a look and all the other gyms around me seem really badly kept and outdated. There is a Nuffield which looks nice but it's minimum 12 month commitment, which is a big ask.

By *hesexpeopleCouple  over a year ago

s wales

Do you have a third option of another gym with a really shit hot PT?

No I've had a look and all the other gyms around me seem really badly kept and outdated. There is a Nuffield which looks nice but it's minimum 12 month commitment, which is a big ask. "

Oh that’s a shame, and 12 months is a big commitment. I’ll be honest my gym is scruffy as you like but great staff and all the equipment I need so I can’t complain. Hope you find something

Update (in case anyone is interested): I'm officially a CrossFitter

David Lloyd is for lazy people …. I said what I said

By *erces LetiferMan  over a year ago

Somewhere off the edge of the map... 'ere there be monsters

"Update (in case anyone is interested): I'm officially a CrossFitter "

Congrats!! Fingers crossed it really works out well for you!

Stratford

Good on ya! Let us know how you get on with it

"David Lloyd is for lazy people …. I said what I said "

How so?

By *ungislanderMan  over a year ago

Inverness

Well done once you start you get the bug for it big time, I definitely did. Enjoy your next WOD

"Update (in case anyone is interested): I'm officially a CrossFitter

Well done once you start you get the bug for it big time, I definitely did. Enjoy your next WOD "

Thanks! Yeah def enjoying it. I'm not doing WODs yet though, mainly strength. If I do a WOD it's in an on ramp sesh

By *appycouple300Couple  over a year ago

North Dorset

It all depends on your goals. CrossFit is what YOU can do. You are only against yourself and not everyone else. You will find that the other people in the group will bring you in. Remember that you are there. Most people don’t do anything.

Good luck at the Box.

[Removed by poster at 18/06/22 18:51:47]

"It all depends on your goals. CrossFit is what YOU can do. You are only against yourself and not everyone else. You will find that the other people in the group will bring you in. Remember that you are there. Most people don’t do anything.

Good luck at the Box. "

Thank you! Yes the people are all super friendly and supportive. And the trainers are great about scaling things I can't do

By *urious couple22Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Honestly I would go with David lloyd so yeah they are a tad expensive but if your going to use it its worth it.

Depending where your at they've got blaze and battle box a bit like cross fit to he fair.

Blaze is a treadmil weights and boxing and you move through the station's a proper hard work out great class I like the fact the rooms dark so it's more of a battle agenst your self they use myzone to get your heart rate up while in the session.

Battlebox is a out door circuit I think they've got like 6 station's you spend 2 minutes on each from weights to rope pulls climbing a rope if confident.. plus all the other classes..

Good luck what ever you chose I'm only going on My experience I loved the old door pool specially when it was raining going for that swim to wake you up in the morning

Plus the way it's set up with myzone etc it's easier to track you goals and the funny thing is if you decided you wanted a pt I noticed they was cheaper then other gyms I was shocked..

"Honestly I would go with David lloyd so yeah they are a tad expensive but if your going to use it its worth it.

Depending where your at they've got blaze and battle box a bit like cross fit to he fair.

Blaze is a treadmil weights and boxing and you move through the station's a proper hard work out great class I like the fact the rooms dark so it's more of a battle agenst your self they use myzone to get your heart rate up while in the session.

Battlebox is a out door circuit I think they've got like 6 station's you spend 2 minutes on each from weights to rope pulls climbing a rope if confident.. plus all the other classes..

Good luck what ever you chose I'm only going on My experience I loved the old door pool specially when it was raining going for that swim to wake you up in the morning

Plus the way it's set up with myzone etc it's easier to track you goals and the funny thing is if you decided you wanted a pt I noticed they was cheaper then other gyms I was shocked.."

By *ymster10Man  over a year ago

Ellesmere Port

I’ve been a member of DL for as long as I can remember ( longer than my marriage anyway) . For me I wouldn’t go anywhere else , Yes they have pool which for me is a big part of my routine.

So really you need to decide what it is your really looking for or want from your training.

The social side from my DL is another reason for going , plus the outdoor pool is heaven this time of year ..

good luck ..

By *ungislanderMan  over a year ago

Inverness

"Update (in case anyone is interested): I'm officially a CrossFitter

Well done once you start you get the bug for it big time, I definitely did. Enjoy your next WOD

Thanks! Yeah def enjoying it. I'm not doing WODs yet though, mainly strength. If I do a WOD it's in an on ramp sesh "

That’s amazing! It takes time but very rewarding

» Add a new message to this topic