FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Nobody likes a quitter

Nobody likes a quitter

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aitonel OP   Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

Looking for tips to help with quitting smoking (preferably not reverting to vape as a replacement) legit no for myself but actually asking for a friend.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's a mental thing, when I smoked and tried to stop I tried everything but failed because I didn't really want to , then I had a little scare and stopped cold turkey. Smokings more just a habbit than an addiction.

I have up gradually one cigarette at a time, started by skipping my morning smoke and gradually got to the point where I was only having one or two in the evening and then stopped completely. I've not smoked at all for 12 years now. Good luck

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Not buying them helps. I quit for about 6 months before because they just weren't around me to to tempt me

By *affeine DuskMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

The vape actually really helps as you can lower the nicotine down to nothing over time.

But if they don't wanna go that way, I found grapes and carrot stick snacks were really good to replace the muscle memory

"Looking for tips to help with quitting smoking (preferably not reverting to vape as a replacement) legit no for myself but actually asking for a friend. "

Find a hobby to take your mind off it

Liverpool

"It's a mental thing, when I smoked and tried to stop I tried everything but failed because I didn't really want to , then I had a little scare and stopped cold turkey. Smokings more just a habbit than an addiction."

I can't comment on that directly as I don't smoke, but I'd only have to half agree. Smoking is an addiction due to nicotine - though I guess it is more addictive to some than others, similar to alcohol, I just don't enjoy it enough to even get addicted to it.

But thanks for the advice

Psilocybe can help you it’s been proven x

Liverpool

"I have up gradually one cigarette at a time, started by skipping my morning smoke and gradually got to the point where I was only having one or two in the evening and then stopped completely. I've not smoked at all for 12 years now. Good luck"

That is one thing I've suggested. Slowly reduce the intake makes sense to me. Thanks

Liverpool

"Not buying them helps. I quit for about 6 months before because they just weren't around me to to tempt me"

But surely would it not just tempt you to buy some, provided you had the means to do so?

Thanks!

Liverpool

"The vape actually really helps as you can lower the nicotine down to nothing over time.

But if they don't wanna go that way, I found grapes and carrot stick snacks were really good to replace the muscle memory "

I did mention that to her, however she just felt it was replacing one habit with another, you don't really quit. I can see her point on it but I can imagine it's then easier to quit vape overtime with reduced nicotine, similar to reducing the number you smoke a day as said above.

Thanks

Another thing il not quit on

By *osey WalesMan  over a year ago

Surrey

Break the habit. Many smokers will have a ciggie at certain times of the day or along the daily commute. I'll light up now so i can finish it by the time i get to "x".. break the habit by not having that routine ciggie. It is an addiction but it is also a habit thing. 10am comes for a break, reach for the fags. Dont keep the pack on you. Keep them in the car. Just breaking that daily routine that you have done repeatedly for ages helps. Its not easy but not impossible.

I found the vape route worked for me. Reduced the strength each month but big tip, get a flavour you can tolerate but dont really like. Gave up in 4 months, Good luck

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

I chewed the nicotine gum to stop smoking. Haven't smoked for nearly 20yrs now but do vape sometimes which I enjoy.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It is breaking the habit of when you are having one, so cut one habitual one out at a time.

If still smoking indoors, force yourself to have to go outside, rather than the ease of just smoking on the sofa you have to get dressed, put shoes on (coat) and find a gap in what you are doing / watching to do it. Greatly reduces your intake and makes you think do I really want that.

Vaping can help as firstly moves the tar from your intake. When I vaped I found I was only taking one of two puffs and that was enough to ease the after eating habit, so nicotine intake was already greatly reduced and you can get yourself down to zero.

She could also ask her GP about their smoking clinic. We have one and boy I feel like I’m back at school and in front of the headmaster, you don’t want to be lying to them as they know, plus they might offer products on prescription to help.

In addition, I wouldn’t tell anyone, there is nothing worst than the constant reminders from people ‘so how are you feeling, do you fancy one, have you had one’.

The biggest thing though is that they really REALLY want to do it, not just say it

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"

The biggest thing though is that they really REALLY want to do it, not just say it"

That's the main thing... and you have to not want to smoke rather than want to give up. It turns it around to being something you're giving yourself (being a non smoker), rather than something you're denying yourself (smoking). Sounda daft but it helps.

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

I stopped once reality hit me; I simply couldn't justify it any more.

I was a single mum on benefits, it would ultimately damage me and my children and I'm educated. I felt sooooo fucking stupid and foolish, I was embarrassed to admit I smoked.

So I stopped and that was 30 years ago.

There's nothing else to do but stop and deal with the withdrawal.

"Psilocybe can help you it’s been proven x "
high high

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"The vape actually really helps as you can lower the nicotine down to nothing over time.

But if they don't wanna go that way, I found grapes and carrot stick snacks were really good to replace the muscle memory

I did mention that to her, however she just felt it was replacing one habit with another, you don't really quit. I can see her point on it but I can imagine it's then easier to quit vape overtime with reduced nicotine, similar to reducing the number you smoke a day as said above.

Thanks "

I quit by switching to vaping.

After a few years lowering the dose I'm now on zero nicotine juice and costs no more than £25-30 a month once you have the hardware.

That's about three packs of cigs these days

Never felt better and considerably better off financially.

A

By *eliusMan  over a year ago

Henlow

I stopped 15 years ago, on a Wed at 4.50pm. It was when my h**notherapy session ended. I had a packet with 3 cigs in, crumpled them up, threw them and haven’t smoked since.

I’d tried cold turkey, chewing gum, acupuncture - nothing worked. I was convinced that the therapy would also fail and to this day I still claim that I wasn’t h**notised - and yet I no longer smoke. Try it, what have you got to lose?

By *ntrigued32Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

I have been lucky enough to have been able to stop completely during all my pregnancies. But always started again because I enjoyed the 5 minutes peace!

I have however stopped again 2 years ago and I really don't want another cigarette again. I do vape now though so I guess I can't really comment.

Jo.Xx

Liverpool

Thank you for all the advice and self experience.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I stopped once reality hit me; I simply couldn't justify it any more.

I was a single mum on benefits, it would ultimately damage me and my children and I'm educated. I felt sooooo fucking stupid and foolish, I was embarrassed to admit I smoked.

So I stopped and that was 30 years ago.

There's nothing else to do but stop and deal with the withdrawal. "

I stopped when I had kids , same reasons costs and health. But then started again 17 years later but am smoking Marlboro fine touch , queen size, less smoke about $2 for 20 and try to limit to 3-4 a day

By *heekyfromhertsMan  over a year ago

Letchworth

A good mate of mine once said " packing up smoking is easy. I have done it loads of times!"lol

By *uffolkClareClactonDaveCouple  over a year ago

Felixstowe/Clacton-on-Sea

"Looking for tips to help with quitting smoking (preferably not reverting to vape as a replacement) legit no for myself but actually asking for a friend. "

My experience of giving up is that it's got nothing to do with will power... it's all about WANT power.

Once you're doing it because you want to it's so much easier.

By *rKeefyMan  over a year ago

Hyde

I stopped due to ill-health 2007ish. First I tried patches but they just made me throw up so next just went 2 weeks without anything. Then had 1 ciggy and that was it not smoked since.

I felt like chewing my teeth at times similar to the ecstacy gurners. So gum may help with that.

I still get the odd craving and can seem to smell cannabis almost everywhere I go these days

By *for2Man  over a year ago

Bristol

The actual physical addiction to nicotine is quite short lived (approx 3 days). Its the habit of smoking thats difficult to break.

I gave up by vaping, addicted to that now

But on a serious note it is a mental thing, never say or think you are never going to smoke again as it's a scary thought that you are never going to do something you enjoy again.

Just say it's only for this minute, hour, day etc & keep going with it..

It's worked for me for 9 years, & at times I have been really tempted..

It helped me to imagine men that owned shares in tobacco companies wearing sharp suits driving flashy cars laughing at me for destroying my health whilst paying for their lifestyle.

» Add a new message to this topic