FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > afganistan is it time

afganistan is it time

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ortheastcoupleuk OP   Couple  over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

to bring back the lads from over or back them them to the hilt with the gear to do the job in hand or do you think this is an unwinable war another viet nam spes with the news bout another 5 deaths and more injured there must be members on here knows or has family members over there now

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *riendlyfunfemWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

Bring them back. Terrible terrible news, my heart goes out to all the families.

Last year we did a funeral of a 20 year old killed in Iraq just a few days before Rememberence Sunday, how his parents managed to cope at the service at our local senataph that day is beyond me.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Apart from fighting terroism i'm still unsure as to what their actually there for. Even the commanders of the Armed Forces have stated there is no long term strategy in place which isn't a good thing. Undermanned, lack of equipment and fighting with and for an Afghan government which is both corrupt and hated by their own people.

Bring the lads back!

"Apart from fighting terroism i'm still unsure as to what their actually there for. Even the commanders of the Armed Forces have stated there is no long term strategy in place which isn't a good thing. Undermanned, lack of equipment and fighting with and for an Afghan government which is both corrupt and hated by their own people.

Bring the lads back!"

They are there because we follow all the feck ups America make.

the time to bring them back passed a long time ago IMO.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"Apart from fighting terroism i'm still unsure as to what their actually there for. Even the commanders of the Armed Forces have stated there is no long term strategy in place which isn't a good thing. Undermanned, lack of equipment and fighting with and for an Afghan government which is both corrupt and hated by their own people.

Bring the lads back!

the time to bring them back passed a long time ago IMO."

Impeach Tony B Liar

It does seem that way doesn't it.

Maybe it's still about oil and developing a position of influence in the Middle East. Sabre rattling against Iran does make me wonder if they will be next on the list.

Bring the lads back!

the time to bring them back passed a long time ago IMO."

"Impeach Tony B Liar "

Impeach him ?

The bastard should be impailed ..

Menston near Ilkley

"Impeach Tony B Liar

Impeach him ?

The bastard should be impailed .."

I second that!!!!!!

Hey where did all my text go on my last comment?

Is the USA monitoring this site and taking out my 'Iran maybe next' comments?

theres bit cut backs in the ta now for training and they want to send more over just cant see the logic , i put this bit on another site a lad i nar aint been in for a few months due to work went to return and has been told he has to do basic training again the lad has 6 tours behind him what a waste ffs , lots of young lads being killed now the ave age is very low now me heart gans out to the familys that have to deal with this .

take the troops out and let them get on with it. we have lost too many good men and woman for this fiasco and at the end of the day it is not our country let them get on with it. god bless those there and may they soon be home xx

take the troops out and let them get on with it. we have lost too many good men and woman for this fiasco and at the end of the day it is not our country let them get on with it. god bless those there and may they soon be home xx

IM sorry to say its gone too far to pull them out now they have to finish what they started. and to do that they nead the best kit we can give them right know.

as for blair i agrea put him in the dock!!!!!

my hubby is over there now and has been since july! our friend was killed out there 4wks ago his funeral was fri ..i agree that all this shud stop but at the end of the day people join the forces to do a job and im afraid that ppl loosing there lives can be part of their job all we can do is support them xxx

"my hubby is over there now and has been since july! our friend was killed out there 4wks ago his funeral was fri ..i agree that all this shud stop but at the end of the day people join the forces to do a job and im afraid that ppl loosing there lives can be part of their job all we can do is support them xxx"

that makes a lot of sence so lets just give all the lads and lases are full support as long as there out there and even more when they get back!!!!

By *prite128Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

"my hubby is over there now and has been since july! our friend was killed out there 4wks ago his funeral was fri ..i agree that all this shud stop but at the end of the day people join the forces to do a job and im afraid that ppl loosing there lives can be part of their job all we can do is support them xxx"

hug for you minx...my friends son was killed on 29th october 2005 out there ..such a long time to be losing lives . xxx

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

It all comes down to denying the terrorists a place to train, fundraise and equip.

There are problems in Pakistan too, and that country has nukes!!!

If we do not stop Al Quaeda / the Taliban now, they could gain support, strength and then try to take over Afghanistan, and then use it (and its opium fields) to generate cash, strengthen their position, and then take over Pakistan..... do you really want to take the chance that that could happen?

Remember, the stated aim of Al Quaeda is to convert "everyone" to Islam..... if we dont stop them now, we may regret it in 10 years time.

aww thanks sprite ..cant wait till he home now a wk before xmas not lng now ..yeah it is such a lng time and so many lives xxx

By *imfromGlasgowMan  over a year ago

er...guess

People are rushing to blame Blair but this is Afghanistan we're talking about - not Iraq. The current Afghan conflict is an International Security Assistance Force fully supported by the UN with forces from over 40 countries. The UK and the USA provide the bulk of the troops because, to be frank, they're the best people to do the job.

As for the casualties - the UK death toll is 229. Each is a tragedy in its own right but that's about the number killed in the first five minutes at the Somme.

OK, the threat from al-Qaeda and the Taliban is based a bit further away than Flanders but the means of bringing that threat to the Twin Towers or the London subway or Glasgow Airport is a lot more sophisticated than it was in 1916.

Personally, I think that if you bring them out before the job is done, then there was no point in sending them in the first place and those who did die, died for nothing.

At the end of the day, it was deemed right to send them and there are those who agree and those who don't. Bottom line, they are there doing thier job.

if we bring them back all those that have given their life would have been for nothing..i say if as everyone says we are at WAR ..! lets give them war and just go and wipe the fuckers out no mercy ....and be done with it instead of all this pussy footing about

Menston near Ilkley

Too damn right we're blaming Blair!!!!

i support them honey its just a pity they aint sent with the reet tools to do the job ,just wonder with all the cut backs how long can we go on over there my thoughts are with you and many others for having family owa there bout time the goverment cut back all these big wig wages for politicians ect and put money to where it should be

er...guess

"Too damn right we're blaming Blair!!!!

"

Why?

"It all comes down to denying the terrorists a place to train, fundraise and equip.

There are problems in Pakistan too, and that country has nukes!!!

If we do not stop Al Quaeda / the Taliban now, they could gain support, strength and then try to take over Afghanistan, and then use it (and its opium fields) to generate cash, strengthen their position, and then take over Pakistan..... do you really want to take the chance that that could happen?

Remember, the stated aim of Al Quaeda is to convert "everyone" to Islam..... if we dont stop them now, we may regret it in 10 years time."

But if the Soviet Union could not defeat the Afghans in a full on, long term conventional conflict then how can we hope to win?

Our armed forces have their hands tied with a lack of equipment (which sees troops buying their own equipment from Army Surplus stores and the general public donating items to send out for our lads), there is little long term strategic planning in place, we are not winning the hearts and minds of the Afghan people and those that do like us are often murdered and for all the Taliban we kill we are still making little impact on the 'terrorist' threat.

Afghanistan for many centuries has been a country in conflict with infighting between various tribes, religions and foreign powers going on all the time and that will not change for a long long time. What will happen when we declare victory and pull our troops out....the Taliban will merely reappear, just like the Vietcong did in Vietnam.

Also it was always the Taliban who severly punished those who grew/traded in opium and it was infact the American CIA who had a major hand in opium distribution. This whole idea that the Taliban are using Opium to develop funds is probably media propaganda. The Americans have also have been responsible for many many terrorist attacks themselves so the American government are not exactly blameless in this department.

I doubt very much if the Taliban are a threat to Pakistan; it's possible i guess but i would imagine the biggest threat for Pakistan would be from a conflict with India.

I agree we need to combat the world wide terrorist threat but i don't see the Afghan conflict bringing us any nearer to doing that. It really is a tough situation without an end in sight.

exactly ..yes they are ..god forbid anything shud happen 2 my hubby but yeah that is his job xxx

Lest we forget.

pull everyone out and drop moab on the bloody lot of them.

lets face it they will always be at each others throats so lets pull out and drop tons of tnt on the problem.

the latest moab bomb vaporize everything within 100-150 miles.

done and done.

i agree with gothica. this is a country constantly at war all throughout history and now a war over muslim v christianity and whatever else is coming from it too. the war on terrorism will never end but i still feel our forces should not be there especially when as ill equiped. send the politicians over and give them what our soldiers have and see how quick they are removed. im a pacifist at heart always have been and if this war is so essential why arent more supplies being made available americans have all the technology etc why arent they using it? to everyone who has family there my thoughts are with you and hope you all home soon safe and sound xx

ive just come back from a 7 month tour over there where i lost some very good friends.

the people to blame are the government noone else

"ive just come back from a 7 month tour over there where i lost some very good friends.

the people to blame are the government noone else "

take me hat off to ya m8 must of been very hard unsung heros the lot of yous glad ya made it home safe

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"

OK, the threat from al-Qaeda and the Taliban is based a bit further away than Flanders but the means of bringing that threat to the Twin Towers or the London subway or Glasgow Airport is a lot more sophisticated than it was in 1916."

This is an aysemmetric war. We, along with 40 other countries, fight the dissident element on their own territory, to keep them off ours.

Do we let Al-Queda and the Taliban roam free to bring about another Twin Towers or another 7/7 on the London transport system?

Of course we don't, we fight to free the repressed of Afghanistan, we fight to allow women freedom and to give children an education and a future. We fight to try and ensure that Britain is never again held in the grip of a new terrorism.

As for the questions about kitting out our military, don't blame those working to get them the kit/vehicles/ammunition they need. It's shipped out as fast as it is made. But it has to be tested to ensure that it's 150% capable of doing the correct job and thats a lengthy process sometimes.

Unfortunately, Afghanistan is a desert war with an enemy that doesn't fight in a conventional way. It's a war fought in mainly desert, with only 1 real road, where men have to walk and fight in alleyways that you can't get a vehicle through. It's a hot and tough war but the people supplying the equipment are trying very hard to keep up with an ever changing battle (and to repair everything that comes back full of sand!) and get it back out as soon as possible.

And don't think that those who work for the military but don't fight, don't feel pain when soldiers die, or don't feel overwhelming sadness when they see the very young men getting ready to leave for a tour, because it breaks their hearts.

But we are in Afghanistan for a reason and it's not because of the American's.

I know a fair few soldiers who have been killed or severly injured and it hurts more each time to know that it's happening........ but thats the point, it's happening. I'd rather show my overwhelming support for the men and women going out to war than to sit, whinging about the politicians.

"

OK, the threat from al-Qaeda and the Taliban is based a bit further away than Flanders but the means of bringing that threat to the Twin Towers or the London subway or Glasgow Airport is a lot more sophisticated than it was in 1916.

This is an aysemmetric war. We, along with 40 other countries, fight the dissident element on their own territory, to keep them off ours.

Do we let Al-Queda and the Taliban roam free to bring about another Twin Towers or another 7/7 on the London transport system?

Of course we don't, we fight to free the repressed of Afghanistan, we fight to allow women freedom and to give children an education and a future. We fight to try and ensure that Britain is never again held in the grip of a new terrorism.

As for the questions about kitting out our military, don't blame those working to get them the kit/vehicles/ammunition they need. It's shipped out as fast as it is made. But it has to be tested to ensure that it's 150% capable of doing the correct job and thats a lengthy process sometimes.

Unfortunately, Afghanistan is a desert war with an enemy that doesn't fight in a conventional way. It's a war fought in mainly desert, with only 1 real road, where men have to walk and fight in alleyways that you can't get a vehicle through. It's a hot and tough war but the people supplying the equipment are trying very hard to keep up with an ever changing battle (and to repair everything that comes back full of sand!) and get it back out as soon as possible.

And don't think that those who work for the military but don't fight, don't feel pain when soldiers die, or don't feel overwhelming sadness when they see the very young men getting ready to leave for a tour, because it breaks their hearts.

But we are in Afghanistan for a reason and it's not because of the American's.

I know a fair few soldiers who have been killed or severly injured and it hurts more each time to know that it's happening........ but thats the point, it's happening. I'd rather show my overwhelming support for the men and women going out to war than to sit, whinging about the politicians."

here here.

couldnt have put it better.

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"

"

Think it is worth pointing out that 7/7 happened in 2005 and we invaded the sovereign nation of Afghanistan in 2002!! If someone invaded or tried to invade the UK, you would all be screaming for retribution!! It has even been claimed that intelligence says the attack on London would never have happened if we hadn't followed America like sheep!

For years, apart from the IRA who had a particular axe to grind with the UK government, not one of the many terrorist groups who had offices in London attacked the UK! That is a fact accepted by the security services. We even gave clerics a hard time and nothing! We go into Afghanistan and 7/7!

I think that we should do as that guy suggested the other day... Pull the boys and girls out and spend the money saved on watching our borders and proper security!

I think we can argue the logistics and whose to blame till the cows come home.

And will never agree.

So maybe we can just remember those fighting and those who gave their lives, be it present day and in past wars .

By *riendlyfunfemWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

"I think we can argue the logistics and whose to blame till the cows come home.

And will never agree.

So maybe we can just remember those fighting and those who gave their lives, be it present day and in past wars . "

Well said Peaches!

"

Do we let Al-Queda and the Taliban roam free to bring about another Twin Towers or another 7/7 on the London transport system?"

There are apparently more foreign members making up the Taliban and Al-Queda than there is Afghan, so we cannot say were really fighting an enemy on their own territory. The fact is there is a large element of these terrorist organisations situated in this region and it is where the various political powers chose to undertake their war.

We must also look at the reasons why these terrorist attacks take place as the situation is not as black and white as many people think. There is a whole range of issues that fuel the troubles including the Middle East Israel/Palestinian aspect and the bias shown towards the State of Israel over Palestine by the West, especially America. And I’m still not totally convinced that there wasn’t some kind of conspiracy involved in the 9/11 attack.

"Of course we don't, we fight to free the repressed of Afghanistan, we fight to allow women freedom and to give children an education and a future. We fight to try and ensure that Britain is never again held in the grip of a new terrorism."

Not sure Britain is in the grip of a new terrorism. We had more terrorism during the IRA period and I think this hysteria is caused by media hype and government propaganda. As for fighting to free the repressed of Afghanistan…well if that was the case why didn’t we take any interest in that issue many years ago? If we win the war then what do we do….force the Afghan people to conform to our western views and way of life. Afghanistan has a whole mixture of religious sects, ethnic groups and tribes all with different traditions and customs so do we tell them that their wrong and have to change? Do we force the men of these tribes, ethnic groups and religious sects under the threat of the gun to allow more freedom to their women and to educate the children? And what future do we give the Afghan people…the future we think they should have? Then when we have changed the Afghan people (which incidentally we didn’t manage to do the last time we were there and no one else has managed either) to our way of life, do we then go onto places like North Korea, China, Burma etc and force them into doing things our way? Like it or not the world is not ‘ours’ and people do things differently due to their own customs and traditions. It may not be our ideal way of living but it’s not for us to judge.

" As for the questions about kitting out our military, don't blame those working to get them the kit/vehicles/ammunition they need. It's shipped out as fast as it is made. But it has to be tested to ensure that it's 150% capable of doing the correct job and thats a lengthy process sometimes."

To fight a war effectively you should know the basic elements that are needed. When leading military commanders state they haven’t the equipment to do the job then it’s obvious the military haven’t got the equipment to do the job. The government even now argue that there are enough military personnel out there AND they have enough equipment. The most recent example of this being the lack of helicopters. Without the helicopters troops have to walk well known and mined roads and are exposed to much danger, whereas if they had the helicopters they could travel further and safer. Will the government listen to the military...no.

" Unfortunately, Afghanistan is a desert war with an enemy that doesn't fight in a conventional way. It's a war fought in mainly desert, with only 1 real road, where men have to walk and fight in alleyways that you can't get a vehicle through. It's a hot and tough war but the people supplying the equipment are trying very hard to keep up with an ever changing battle (and to repair everything that comes back full of sand!) and get it back out as soon as possible."

Afghanistan is not just a desert, it has other terrain types such as arable land and mountains, all of which require different equipment and tactics. Urban warfare has been a speciality of the British forces for awhile, learnt from the time spent in Ireland. In fact we have even trained US troops in urban warfare.

The American vehicles seem to have a lot less problems so maybe we should take a few notes from them.

" And don't think that those who work for the military but don't fight, don't feel pain when soldiers die, or don't feel overwhelming sadness when they see the very young men getting ready to leave for a tour, because it breaks their hearts."

I think that is something we can all relate to and i believe most people support our troops and are very proud of them.

" But we are in Afghanistan for a reason and it's not because of the American's."

What are those reasons? Can you say with a 100% certainty that we are there for the reasons you believe? Only the governments know the real truth and I have seen too many things to say I trust them or their words. For instance just where were those weapons of mass destruction in Iraq that we were told with 100& certainty were there. They had the proof…that’s what they told us all and they lied.

"I know a fair few soldiers who have been killed or severly injured and it hurts more each time to know that it's happening........ but thats the point, it's happening. I'd rather show my overwhelming support for the men and women going out to war than to sit, whinging about the politicians."

We all sympathise with any soldier who is killed or injured and we all show support for everyone of them. No one is whinging about anything, we are having a debate on a serious situation and we can debate as much as we like and from whatever viewpoint we like. Politicians are the ones who pull the strings and we all know they are not trustworthy (see weapons of mass destruction above). I think it’s very important to question our politicians and not sit back being quiet just because something’s going on.

we must stay there and see it to its conclusion ,,, yes there will be deaths and lives wasted ,,, but not one of the lads out there is conscripted to go ,, they all go in the knoweldge that they may be killed or maimed and we should salute them for the heroism that they so unselfishly show and give ,, they are our front line againstterrorism ,, and yes i understand all the previous comments ,, but believe me ,, if the lads , and lasses were not there then we as a nation would not be sleeping so comfortably in our beds tonight ,, they are indeed all that stops the terrorist bringing greater terror to the streets of britain ,,, keep up the fantastic work lads ,,, i truly wish i was young enough to join you ,, tent willy ,, ex 42 commando, royal marines

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Its all fair and well saying bring them home but its not making good reading for the lads out there. Most get net access and to have people debating often brings morale down. Yes they lack full equipment much it is better than when they went in.

As for policy, well there are people in charge who have far more knowledge than us mortals sat here spouting our words of wisdom. In my view we should support them. We are in there now and there is a job to do so hopefully democracy might have a chance. What you have to ask your self is are the afghani civilians life’s not worth anything? If our troops were not there how many more would die?

Anyway my two peneth over. And before anyone knocks me I spent 3 tours there in the90’s in Kuwait and further excursions. I personally find it a little bit odd we do not support our troups as the Americans do theres. Let us not forget they for the grace of god keep this country safe and maintain a democracy.

"Its all fair and well saying bring them home but its not making good reading for the lads out there. Most get net access and to have people debating often brings morale down. Yes they lack full equipment much it is better than when they went in.

As for policy, well there are people in charge who have far more knowledge than us mortals sat here spouting our words of wisdom. In my view we should support them. We are in there now and there is a job to do so hopefully democracy might have a chance. What you have to ask your self is are the afghani civilians life’s not worth anything? If our troops were not there how many more would die?

Anyway my two peneth over. And before anyone knocks me I spent 3 tours there in the90’s in Kuwait and further excursions. I personally find it a little bit odd we do not support our troups as the Americans do theres. Let us not forget they for the grace of god keep this country safe and maintain a democracy.

"

Well bloody said Sir...

the thing is tho this is their job to fight wars etc.. they know wot they are getting themselfs into potentialy when they sign up, but i dont think they actually realise they are going to go to these war torn countries. Shame the Politicians cant fight the other politicians instead of using our poor under strength troops for cannon fodder and political pawns.

It will never end why?? because war makes $$$$$$ and they dont want that to stop do they, its sick, War is WRONG!! Love and let live!!!

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"the thing is tho this is their job to fight wars etc.. they know wot they are getting themselfs into potentialy when they sign up, but i dont think they actually realise they are going to go to these war torn countries. Shame the Politicians cant fight the other politicians instead of using our poor under strength troops for cannon fodder and political pawns.

It will never end why?? because war makes $$$$$$ and they dont want that to stop do they, its sick, War is WRONG!! Love and let live!!!"

i really dont think its appropriate to put comments such as that on here

We've always said that if the leaders of countries were the first into battle,as in medieval times,there wouldn't be many conflicts.

They're all so brave and gung ho when risking the lives of others for their own agendas.

XXXX

er...guess

"ive just come back from a 7 month tour over there where i lost some very good friends.

the people to blame are the government noone else "

Can you just clarify which government? USA? UK? Afghan?

er...guess

"

...........Pull the boys and girls out and spend the money saved on watching our borders and proper security!"

We've not long finished digging a tunnel.

I don't thinks there's money for a drawbridge (much and all as Cameron would wish to build one).

well the us run the uk and afgan so gotta be them

er...guess

"well the us run the uk and afgan so gotta be them"

So it's pointless blaming Blair?

To begin with everyone has the right to debate about absolutely anything, be it politics, world affairs, the latest hi tech gadget, sex or a conflict our country is taking part in.

No one has stated they are not supporting our troops; in fact I haven’t read any comment stating an opposition to our armed forces…just some people are opposed to the war. Morale amongst the troops will always rise and fall dependent on many factors, however, the troops themselves from the lowest rank up have stated how touched they have been to see the overwhelming support the people back home have for them and know they have our backing and best wishes. On the other hand the troops have not hidden their ’disappointment’ about various government policies which has been more damaging to troop morale than any of the debates us mere mortals decide to have.

It would be completely ridiculous for the person in the street to not debate and question the government, who are there to represent the people who put them there. Our views count. If we have no rights to speak out out against the government or debate their policies then what’s the point in bringing that kind of democracy to Afghanistan? It wouldn’t be democracy at all. If the BNP ever got into power (god forbid) then we should stay quiet as the people in charge know best? And again, Afghanistan is a country with it’s own ways, customs, traditions which is made up of many different tribes, religious sects, ethnic groups, and amazing as it is not everyone shares our western views and ways of living and we can’t just force something like democracy upon a country that has it’s own ways of doing things. If it was to become a democracy then it would do so in it’s own time through the actions of it’s own people. Would we like it if a powerful fundamental Islamic force came into our country and forced a completely foreign way of living upon us? No we wouldn’t, so why do we think we can go around changing everyone else’s way of life, traditions and customs? And again, if we thought about bringing democracy to Afghanistan then why did it take this long? Why didn’t we go in before many years ago? And what country is next for democratising? And yes, I think everyone is just as concerned for the lives of the Afghani civilians who get caught up in the middle of the conflict. There are also civilians dying in many other conflicts around the world so why aren’t we there too if humanitarianism is the main aim.

I for one support our armed forces and will always continue to do so. Their the best in the world and are the envy of virtually every country in the world and I’m immensely proud of them all. But I will not stop debating important issues or questioning the policies of our elected governments. I saw last night on the news that the military commanders AND government officials are stating British troops could well be in Afghanistan for up to 30 years! I just hope this doesn’t become our Vietnam.

"well the us run the uk and afgan so gotta be them

So it's pointless blaming Blair?"

Easy to blame Blair, but sit down and think about it. Do you believe he wanted all the crap that has happened out there to happen? What you have to think about is if there hadn’t been an invasion how much more bloodshed would there have been on British soil. Its easy to spout your piece but lets face it non of us have the full facts of the situation. What I do know is I have been out there and the locals are grateful of what protection we give them.

"the thing is tho this is their job to fight wars etc.. they know wot they are getting themselfs into potentialy when they sign up, but i dont think they actually realise they are going to go to these war torn countries. Shame the Politicians cant fight the other politicians instead of using our poor under strength troops for cannon fodder and political pawns.

It will never end why?? because war makes $$$$$$ and they dont want that to stop do they, its sick, War is WRONG!! Love and let live!!!"

Only a naive fool believes that peace can be achieved by laying down your guns. For some hardened fanatics, no amount of political posturing will assuage them of the outrage they feel about their so called 'religion' - and make no mistake, that is what we are fighting out in Afghanistan - an ideology, and you cannot defeat a set of beliefs with brute force.

We have a job to do out there and our mandate is quite clear: Rid Afghanistan of the Taliban's ability to retake control once we leave. We'll never kill every Taliban fighter in the country as, like I said, an ideology indoctrinates from a very early age and for each Taliban we kill another is ready to fight - and they fight in the belief that they are right, as do we.

The only solution is empower the normal Afghan populace to reject the extremism purported by the Taliban and to instill in them the courage to openly oppose the Taliban once we leave. This has to be done on two fronts: Politically, through the U.N. to ensure that corruption is stamped out from the top down, and through training the ANP and Afghani Army to provide the backbone for any acts of Parliament that are passed.

Once we have left, the U.N. must remain on permanent standby to go back into Afghanistan if called upon to assist in quelling any uprisings that threaten the democratic process, but this must only happen under the banner of a United Nations Peacekeeping Force, we cannot go back in as a fully equipped army. To pull out before any of this has been established would be an insult to those that have died already and those that are still out there fighting and it would be seen by the Afghan people as an act of betrayal and that would push them firmly back into the clutches of the Taliban.

Which is why we must remain there now.

Calls to bring our boys home are misguided and even though the pain of repatriating dead soldiers is very hard to swallow you must always remember that with great achievement comes also great sacrifice and to lay down one's life upon the altar of freedom is a far better thing to do than to do nothing at all when confronted with a regime that is systematically murdering it's own people.

er...guess

Anyone who doubts the value of resisting the spread of fundamentalism need only read ............

"Islamists in southern Somalia have stoned a man to death for adultery but spared his pregnant girlfriend until she gives birth.

Abas Hussein Abdirahman, 33, was killed in front of a crowd of some 300 people in the port town of Merka.

An official from the al-Shabab group said the woman would be killed after she has had her baby."

Imagine what they'd do to swingers.

More on BBC news website world Africa.

Lets all forget about the rights or wrongs about if we should or should not be in Afghanistan or if we should pull out of there but remember those who are serving over there and those who have gave their lives for our great country during this war and the wars before.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we WILL remember them.

LEST WE FORGET.

I served in Iraq 4 years ago. But we can never win in Afganistan, this is our 3rd war there and we lost the last two! Bring them back now.

By *eedshornycplsCouple  over a year ago

leeds

drop a nuke on afghanistan but not before the boys come home

brecon

I have said this before, but it begs repeating.

We are not there necessarily to defeat the Taliban / Al Quaeda, although that would be good..... we are there to stop them taking over the country, and using it as a base to grow stronger and launch attacks from. They are alreadt attempting to de-stabilise Pakistan..... and that country has nukes!!

leeds

nuke any country ending in stan

"nuke any country ending in stan "

So that takes care of:

Afghanistan

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Pakistan

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

....but what about Libya, Iraq, Iran & Scotland? hehehe

"nuke any country ending in stan

So that takes care of:

Afghanistan

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Pakistan

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

....but what about Libya, Iraq, Iran & Scotland? hehehe "

I concidered reporting this post and Complaining about the "Scotland" part, then I looked and saw that you're from Tyneside and figured that you were being punished enough

"nuke any country ending in stan

So that takes care of:

Afghanistan

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Pakistan

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

....but what about Libya, Iraq, Iran & Scotland? hehehe

I concidered reporting this post and Complaining about the "Scotland" part, then I looked and saw that you're from Tyneside and figured that you were being punished enough "

I'm actually from Bedfordshire - which is why I agree with the nuke any 'stan' post and also the reason I moved up north (apart from the fact that Siren has great tits and can suck cock for ENGLAND, of course! hehehe)

brecon

"nuke any country ending in stan "

My neighbour is called Stan, and he's a cun..... oh, you didnt mean that did you?

lol, aint I a stinker!!

leeds

lmao xx

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

bring them home from every country

Sadly i doubt this government will withdraw them, they would not want to admit they were wrong, once again.

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

yep pity they arnt on the front line

er...guess

"Sadly i doubt this government will withdraw them, they would not want to admit they were wrong, once again."

Neither potential government will withdraw troops any time soon.

The only political parties in favour of withdrawal are the one with no chance of forming a government and thus their enthusiasm could perhaps be described as opportunist.

By *ausage and sizzleCouple  over a year ago

Barnstaple

Pull them out now then their sacrifice will be for nothing. This war is more about base denial for the Taliban and Al Quaeda and protecting our own citizens. We can't do that from hundreds of miles away, unless you want a cruise missiles being fired into villages and killing civilians, children??? It's a bit like Northern Ireland, there probably be no winners in the end, but there wouldn't be peace there, or on our streets, if it wasn't for the military. And as for Vietnam, we fought the same type of war in Malaysia and won that one. I say back our troops and get behind them all the way.

» Add a new message to this topic