FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What makes you proud to be British

What makes you proud to be British

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Me captain Tom

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm Irish living in the UK but unironically I love that the BBC exists. It pisses off everyone so must be doing something right and its the one bill I am more than happy to pay.

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

The NHS

I’d be even prouder if it was properly funded.

The way I say ‘bottle’

It don't I'm ashamed of how this country has become. With a few exceptions.

Strawberries

"Strawberries"

Your arse

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I'm not even proud to be human. We're a breed of selfish bloodsuckers and the planet would fare much better without us on it.

I dunno if it makes me proud, but I think it’s pretty amazing all the brilliant music that has come out of this tiny island, most of my favourite bands are from here.

I think a lot of patriotic people suddenly appear when the football's on. As a whole I don't think Britain is that great and as a powerful country, we should do better

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I'm a proud Brit because I was born here , live here , and it's given me a comfortable life .

Yes that sounds selfish and for all our countries faults there are far worse places to live in the world

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Our cosmopolitan capital London x

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"The NHS

I’d be even prouder if it was properly funded. "

Ditto the welfare state

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Broadstairs

How many fantastic inventions that British people have invented, also the great sports like Cricket and Rugby that originated in these isles

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"I'm a proud Brit because I was born here , live here , and it's given me a comfortable life .

Yes that sounds selfish and for all our countries faults there are far worse places to live in the world "

very true my friend I have done a lot of travelling over the years but dear old blighty is always home

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

I'm proud to be Scottish

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"I'm not even proud to be human. We're a breed of selfish bloodsuckers and the planet would fare much better without us on it."

Yup! Agree x

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

The football chants

Den of Iniquity

"I'm a proud Brit because I was born here , live here , and it's given me a comfortable life .

Yes that sounds selfish and for all our countries faults there are far worse places to live in the world very true my friend I have done a lot of travelling over the years but dear old blighty is always home "

Absofuckinlutely mate couldn't agree more

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"The NHS

Ditto the welfare state"

Echo this - let's hope it will continue as right now it seems under threat.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Understated genius

I’m going to say it……amongst others and in no particular order……

Our boarding schools, particularly the more renowned ones. They are a massive ‘export’ as parents around the World compete to send their children to them. They contribute billions into the economy.

Our universities and their research departments.

Our authors, artists, artistes, musicians, language, films….

Parliament.

The Queen.

Our Armed Forces.

What this little sceptered isle produces and contributes to world culture and economy far outstrips its size.

Hard hat and visors donned..

Not so much as proud such, but think it is a great time to witness, people have more rights and privileges than any other time in history. Yes there is still much disparity and injustices, but take a little step back and envisage how you would be faring 100 years ago.

Den of Iniquity

"I’m going to say it……amongst others and in no particular order……

Our boarding schools, particularly the more renowned ones. They are a massive ‘export’ as parents around the World compete to send their children to them. They contribute billions into the economy.

Parliament.

The Queen.

Our Armed Forces.

What this little sceptered isle produces and contributes to world culture and economy far outstrips its size."

Agreed

liverpool

Parliament.

The Queen.

Our Armed Forces.

What this little sceptered isle produces and contributes to world culture and economy far outstrips its size."

I'm not sure institutional educational inequality is something to be proud of tbh.

I'd possibly have free education (at least upto university age)in there.

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

"I'm not even proud to be human. We're a breed of selfish bloodsuckers and the planet would fare much better without us on it."

I ain't that the sad sorry truth

Parliament.

The Queen.

Our Armed Forces.

What this little sceptered isle produces and contributes to world culture and economy far outstrips its size.

I'm not sure institutional educational inequality is something to be proud of tbh.

I'd possibly have free education (at least upto university age)in there."

That’s an argument to be had internally. However, externally, they have no such qualms when looking at our educational system. The Chinese and Russians are the fiercest in competing to get their children into, Eton, Winchester, Harrow, Westminster…..not sure what that says about the egalitarian system from those ‘failed’ trials, even if China still calls itself Communist.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"I'm not even proud to be human. We're a breed of selfish bloodsuckers and the planet would fare much better without us on it.

I ain't that the sad sorry truth"

there’s still some good honest people about who aren’t completely selfish for example as someone said captain Tom a remarkable person our fabulous NHS workers I could go on but you get the picture

The covid vaccine rollout. The people doing the jabbing and the hundreds of people queuing in the rain.

NHS

We are so lucky to have a service we can access when in need. It’s just a shame it’s so abused.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Without a shadow of a doubt our "NHS" which once again has proved it's worth and saved our bacon despite all political parties best efforts to knobble it etc etc and totally 100% gob smacking ..and we pay so little for it and people it's time to fight for it as if Mistress 25 billion wasted on track and trace Dido gets anywhere near it and her husband !!

By *kaythen07Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

spot on.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Nothing. I'm not ashamed neither. But that's not a shot at the country or those that are. I just don't feel it, I don't find pride in things like this.

George Carlin... Again.

"Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or obtain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth. Being Irish isn't a skill... it's a fucking genetic accident. You wouldn't say I'm proud to be 5'11".

"Nothing. I'm not ashamed neither. But that's not a shot at the country or those that are. I just don't feel it, I don't find pride in things like this.

George Carlin... Again.

"Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or obtain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth. Being Irish isn't a skill... it's a fucking genetic accident. You wouldn't say I'm proud to be 5'11". "

Well said sir

liverpool

"Nothing. I'm not ashamed neither. But that's not a shot at the country or those that are. I just don't feel it, I don't find pride in things like this.

George Carlin... Again.

"Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or obtain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth. Being Irish isn't a skill... it's a fucking genetic accident. You wouldn't say I'm proud to be 5'11". "

George Carlin... Again.

This exactly. I feel very fortunate to have been born here rather than in a developing country, because as a disabled woman I'd possibly be uneducated and rifling through rubbish dumps for survival. There's a lot I love about our country and a lot I'm not so keen on, but pride doesn't come into it.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

"Hard hat and visors donned..

Not so much as proud such, but think it is a great time to witness, people have more rights and privileges than any other time in history. Yes there is still much disparity and injustices, but take a little step back and envisage how you would be faring 100 years ago."

I completely agree. Changes are coming thick and fast, many of which would have been inconceivable 100 years ago. Still lots to change, but the levels of real rights are very good in comparison to many other countries.

I’m Irish, by the way, a country that is seen even more rapid social change in my lifetime.

Humans are also amazing, look at the things some humans have achieved, the advancement of medical science, the lives saved and improved because they kept striving, the empathy shown by humans to animals, fighting for a cause beyond yourself, creating beautiful art and music. Some of the best most wonderful people I know are humans, some humans have given me hope where there was none.

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

Nothing.

As a catholic I could never be either King, nor PM. so i dont identify as Bitish.

If they put me out the game, im.staying out of it.

A curry takeaway turning up on time innit

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Broadstairs

Proud of all the Great British Rock bands that dominated the 70s, proud of the great countryside and costal regions we have , proud we helped Europeans win 2 world wars

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr southend

Tea!!!

George Carlin... Again.

"Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or obtain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth. Being Irish isn't a skill... it's a fucking genetic accident. You wouldn't say I'm proud to be 5'11".

This exactly. I feel very fortunate to have been born here rather than in a developing country, because as a disabled woman I'd possibly be uneducated and rifling through rubbish dumps for survival. There's a lot I love about our country and a lot I'm not so keen on, but pride doesn't come into it."

This

Wild animals will have the biggest party once the humans exit the planet!

Sadly many more species will have died out before then.

KJ

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

I’m very proud to be Irish

I do like all your lovely accents

Motherwell

"

I'm Irish living in the UK but unironically I love that the BBC exists. It pisses off everyone so must be doing something right and its the one bill I am more than happy to pay. "

Its mass programming, look at all the woke stiff these days, back in the 60-80 the BBC actually made people think the way they are now trying to make them unthink. be careful what you watch amd believe when it comes to the bbc, also dont forget who gave Saville the ability and protection he had.

"I'm not even proud to be human. We're a breed of selfish bloodsuckers and the planet would fare much better without us on it.

Humans are also amazing, look at the things some humans have achieved, the advancement of medical science, the lives saved and improved because they kept striving, the empathy shown by humans to animals, fighting for a cause beyond yourself, creating beautiful art and music. Some of the best most wonderful people I know are humans, some humans have given me hope where there was none. "

The planet is trying to resolve this issue. Bear with it

"

I'm Irish living in the UK but unironically I love that the BBC exists. It pisses off everyone so must be doing something right and its the one bill I am more than happy to pay.

Its mass programming, look at all the woke stiff these days, back in the 60-80 the BBC actually made people think the way they are now trying to make them unthink. be careful what you watch amd believe when it comes to the bbc, also dont forget who gave Saville the ability and protection he had."

To be fair I'm thinking more about the political classes and those that they seek to manipulate. All political stripes believe the BBC is out to get them (which is only right and proper as a media outlet). Those that have been successfully manipulated/brainwashed into thinking people like bojo / Farage etc have their interests at heart and its [insert enemy here] thats keeping them down have been taught to despise the BBC for being woke / negative about Britain etc.

Neither Britain nor the BBC are flawless, nor do they not have a lot to learn from a checkered past. But on the whole the BBC is one of the best things about this country and its global reach. And thats not to say it shouldn't be held accountable for its current shortcomings - which is the job of Britains other most excellent thing - Private Eye !

Also, Stephen Fry !

Tim Berners-Lee

Humans are also amazing, look at the things some humans have achieved, the advancement of medical science, the lives saved and improved because they kept striving, the empathy shown by humans to animals, fighting for a cause beyond yourself, creating beautiful art and music. Some of the best most wonderful people I know are humans, some humans have given me hope where there was none.

"

The planet might be, but the universe would be poorer. Think of some of the beauty created along the way - Shakespeare's sonnets; Mozart; tell me you cant go to the van gogh museum and cry a little at the sheer beauty on display; Marilyn Monroe!

I'm always reminded of something I saw years ago- One day the sun will go out (or the planet will be used up) and unless we go to the stars and continue to learn to be better then all this will have been for nothing.

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

Serving in the armed forces. At a time when being patriotic is seen as a negative among the young and what it means to be British is being diluted, it's the one institution which to me still feels British and upholds its traditions and honours its history. When you speak to commonwealth soldiers and Ghurkhas, the pride they have to be serving in the British army and the lengths they went to so they could join it makes you realise what a privilege it is to wear the uniform.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

"

Its mass programming, look at all the woke stiff these days, back in the 60-80 the BBC actually made people think the way they are now trying to make them unthink. be careful what you watch amd believe when it comes to the bbc, also dont forget who gave Saville the ability and protection he had."

It’s streets ahead of US tv / radio and many other countries. Of course it’s not perfect, but it is better than what most countries have

By *rincesszeeWoman  over a year ago

London

Our ability to stay calm

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Um...

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

That time we cut the king's head off was quite good. Shame we backslid on that, really. Four hundred years of missed opportunities since.

"NHS

We are so lucky to have a service we can access when in need. It’s just a shame it’s so abused. "

I don't think it's abused, I think its seriously mismanaged.

"Our ability to stay calm"

Speak for yourself!

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

NHS

Dickens, Shakespeare, Bronte Sisters, Orwell, Roald Dahl Jk Rowling etc…some of the greatest writers in history.

British Armed Forces

Artists, everything from great artists modern to masters Turner to Hockney and my favourite Lowry.

Films Ealing, Hammer to the great Directors we’ve had Hitchcock to Ridley Scott.

Music, too many to mention.

Jerusalem by Blake

Our Education but especially our Teachers, doing a tough job.

Architecture, have you seen how beautiful some of our modern and old building look ? Walk around any great City (apart from Birmingham ) and marvel at the beautiful structures you see. Tower Bridge is a personal favourite.

Sport, yes we invented quite a few great games and do quite well considering as a country we are quite small compared to our rivals.

I could go on, as much as I dislike some of our Politicians, those extremists on both sides, racism and other ‘isms’. When you get down to it, the majority of people in the country are decent, hard working and respectful of each other. I could live in one or two other countries I feel are more on my wavelength at times, but I’m aware of how lucky I am to have been born here in the UK.

Motherwell

"

Its mass programming, look at all the woke stiff these days, back in the 60-80 the BBC actually made people think the way they are now trying to make them unthink. be careful what you watch amd believe when it comes to the bbc, also dont forget who gave Saville the ability and protection he had.

To be fair I'm thinking more about the political classes and those that they seek to manipulate. All political stripes believe the BBC is out to get them (which is only right and proper as a media outlet). Those that have been successfully manipulated/brainwashed into thinking people like bojo / Farage etc have their interests at heart and its [insert enemy here] thats keeping them down have been taught to despise the BBC for being woke / negative about Britain etc.

Neither Britain nor the BBC are flawless, nor do they not have a lot to learn from a checkered past. But on the whole the BBC is one of the best things about this country and its global reach. And thats not to say it shouldn't be held accountable for its current shortcomings - which is the job of Britains other most excellent thing - Private Eye !

Also, Stephen Fry !

"

I believe being forced to pay propoganda tax is ridiculous. because that is what it is.

when they tell us we should worship a murderous, (i cant write the other word on here, so.ill say, far too closely related) family thats ancestors slaughtered many of ours no.

When they hold up peados as people who should be respected no.

When they distort facts and present it as truth, no.

When they pay millions for sometone to simply talk on camera and expect us to fund it no.

There is almost nothing about the BBC that i have respect for.

Each to their own, of course.

liverpool

"That time we cut the king's head off was quite good. Shame we backslid on that, really. Four hundred years of missed opportunities since. "

Den of Iniquity

"NHS

Dickens, Shakespeare, Bronte Sisters, Orwell, Roald Dahl Jk Rowling etc…some of the greatest writers in history.

British Armed Forces

Artists, everything from great artists modern to masters Turner to Hockney and my favourite Lowry.

Films Ealing, Hammer to the great Directors we’ve had Hitchcock to Ridley Scott.

Music, too many to mention.

Jerusalem by Blake

Our Education but especially our Teachers, doing a tough job.

Architecture, have you seen how beautiful some of our modern and old building look ? Walk around any great City (apart from Birmingham ) and marvel at the beautiful structures you see. Tower Bridge is a personal favourite.

Sport, yes we invented quite a few great games and do quite well considering as a country we are quite small compared to our rivals.

I could go on, as much as I dislike some of our Politicians, those extremists on both sides, racism and other ‘isms’. When you get down to it, the majority of people in the country are decent, hard working and respectful of each other. I could live in one or two other countries I feel are more on my wavelength at times, but I’m aware of how lucky I am to have been born here in the UK.

"

Yes , well said

By *rPeachyMan  over a year ago

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 23/06/21 12:52:32]

Motherwell

"That time we cut the king's head off was quite good. Shame we backslid on that, really. Four hundred years of missed opportunities since. "

High five to you mate.

By *rPeachyMan  over a year ago

Bristol

A country is much more than the people who live and have lived in it. What about everything else on and around these magnificent islands that there is to be proud of.

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

"I dunno if it makes me proud, but I think it’s pretty amazing all the brilliant music that has come out of this tiny island, most of my favourite bands are from here. "

That's me too. Music culture and the beautiful land.

By *batMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I don't mind being British, but I'm also Irish and happier with that. I live in Spain and I'm WAY happier with that.

I do seem to meet a lot of Brits that think there's something "special" about being British, but when you boil it down, it's usually because they only see the world from a certain perspective.

Gbat

I am neither proud nor disappointed to be British. Just disappointed with certain parts of it.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

The word, ‘Bollocks’.

It’s a quintessentially British word.

I mean how often do you ever hear someone in an American film utter this delightful word?

See!

"The word, ‘Bollocks’.

I mean how often do you ever hear someone in an American film utter this delightful word?

See! "

Can't remember where I read it but some of the British actors sneak in 'bollocks' and 'wanker' into American shows because they are not considered swear words over there. Have to do a google now.

By *rya MyneWoman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Music, literature, Art, sarcasm/ dark humour. Lots of things I love but I'm well aware of the flip side. No country is perfect.

You do know Cromwell wasn't much better. Ask the Irish what they think of him.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"The word, ‘Bollocks’.

See!

Can't remember where I read it but some of the British actors sneak in 'bollocks' and 'wanker' into American shows because they are not considered swear words over there. Have to do a google now."

The Fresh Prince Of Bell Air had a famous scene wherein Geoffrey (the British butler) called Will Smith a wanker(!!!) I couldn’t believe my ears when I first heard it as it was a family show

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

"I'm proud to be Scottish "

Ditto, but Nicola Stubborn, who I think is as ugly as the fish she is named after, I would sooner fight than fuck.

Very little. Can’t say I ever think of myself as ‘British’.

At best, we’ve produced some good things like the NHS, welfare state, a free press, and strong Higher Education. I occasionally feel ‘British’ happiness at Olympics and Winter Olympics.

However, far too much ‘empire’ mentality, arrogance and belief that we have right which supersedes other nations.

Things like institutional racism, treating difference as wrong, the outdated notion of inherited rule, rampant corruption dressed as ‘cronyism’, our loaded class system, needless hunger, poverty and cruelty, a focus on profit and ‘choice’, the attempts to erase other cultures, exporting our problems abroad and flag-waving jingoism all make it harder to feel any ‘pride’.

"I'm proud to be Scottish

Ditto, but Nicola Stubborn, who I think is as ugly as the fish she is named after, I would sooner fight than fuck. "

Maybe try not to just judge successful, intelligent women by how they look then.

Motherwell

Ditto, but Nicola Stubborn, who I think is as ugly as the fish she is named after, I would sooner fight than fuck. "

Pretty sure she would rather eat boiled rat than have you fuck her anyway hahaha.

By *hocCock1Man  over a year ago

Southampton

Never understood being proud of where your mum gave birth to be honest, proud of the way I conduct myself yes, the leaders of this country and how its conducted globally, no, sorry

Motherwell

"Very little. Can’t say I ever think of myself as ‘British’.

At best, we’ve produced some good things like the NHS, welfare state, a free press, and strong Higher Education. I occasionally feel ‘British’ happiness at Olympics and Winter Olympics.

However, far too much ‘empire’ mentality, arrogance and belief that we have right which supersedes other nations.

Things like institutional racism, treating difference as wrong, the outdated notion of inherited rule, rampant corruption dressed as ‘cronyism’, our loaded class system, needless hunger, poverty and cruelty, a focus on profit and ‘choice’, the attempts to erase other cultures, exporting our problems abroad and flag-waving jingoism all make it harder to feel any ‘pride’. "

with exception to the bigoted and lying press, im with ya.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

The weather, we have lovely weather

"Very little. Can’t say I ever think of myself as ‘British’.

Things like institutional racism, treating difference as wrong, the outdated notion of inherited rule, rampant corruption dressed as ‘cronyism’, our loaded class system, needless hunger, poverty and cruelty, a focus on profit and ‘choice’, the attempts to erase other cultures, exporting our problems abroad and flag-waving jingoism all make it harder to feel any ‘pride’.

with exception to the bigoted and lying press, im with ya."

I was going to say more on that because, as you highlight, it’s a much more nuanced one. We have many, many issues with our media but are also in a far stronger position than many other nations and ought to more carefully protect what we have before it’s completely destroyed.

Our tradition of strong local newspapers, the BBC (at its best), Channel 4 (before the Tories destroy it), some of our tradition of expect up all writing and enquiry - all to be treasured.

Sadly, the other side of that had become an increas in courtier/client journalists, big business running papers for profit, the Tory assault on anything that doesn’t toe their line, the rabid right wing garbage of the Mail, Sun etc, all very sad to see.

"Nothing.

As a catholic I could never be either King, nor PM. so i dont identify as Bitish.

If they put me out the game, im.staying out of it."

Boris is Catholic..

Someone needs a hug..

Humans are also amazing, look at the things some humans have achieved, the advancement of medical science, the lives saved and improved because they kept striving, the empathy shown by humans to animals, fighting for a cause beyond yourself, creating beautiful art and music. Some of the best most wonderful people I know are humans, some humans have given me hope where there was none. "

Bestest and mostest people always ensure the hope supply isn't in danger when the bloody suckers sucked it all out. You do have a point

Also, what a perfect opportunity for sticking juxtaposition there in defence of humanity. Without saying juxtaposition.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

Our resilience in adversity also can you remember Wimbledon in 96 when rain stopped play and cliff Richard got up and got the crowd singing along to his songs fantastic

By *arry monk40Man  over a year ago

Telford

Not much any more

By *endrix100Man  over a year ago

newcastle

The music and artists over the decades that this island had produced

By *lair101TV/TS  over a year ago

Aberdeen, westhill

The fact that we ended slav ery and forced others to do so.

Motherwell

"Nothing.

Boris is Catholic.. "

sonthey say, but thats tories for ya.

he is also American.

and just maybe, Trumps bastd child.

By *aomilatteCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

Bingo, we're World leaders at eyes down

Motherwell

"Nothing.

Boris is Catholic.. "

Just checked on google.

Boris defected from his Mothers Catholicism and became an Anglican.

Living up to the usial BS standard of e Tories turns out he isnt a catholic at all. why, because, catholics cant be pm or monarch.

By *arcobell21785Man  over a year ago

leeds

How much yorkshire people love everyone x

liverpool

"The fact that we ended slav ery and forced others to do so."

Hmmm.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Our ability to tolerate other cultures and countries also our hatred for the French

"Our ability to tolerate other cultures and countries also our hatred for the French "

Tolerate or accept?

Gavin Williamson MP Secretary of State for (English) Education.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Our ability to tolerate other cultures and countries also our hatred for the French

Tolerate or accept? "

Tolerate is the more accurate if you base it in the gen pop. Accept would imply pretty much close to all, and that is certainly not true.

"Our ability to tolerate other cultures and countries also our hatred for the French

Tolerate or accept?

Tolerate is the more accurate if you base it in the gen pop. Accept would imply pretty much close to all, and that is certainly not true. "

You may say I'm a dreamer..

By *ublinGirl92Woman  over a year ago

Hell

You need to do a bit more reading.

Bang of self-congratulatory historical ignorance off this thread. But I'd expect nothing less

By *irtydevil666Man  over a year ago

bristol

Comedy.....

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Comedy....."

Definitely hence the Austin Powers joke.

Aberdeen, westhill

"The fact that we ended slav ery and forced others to do so.

Bang of self-congratulatory historical ignorance off this thread. But I'd expect nothing less "

You obviously dont know your British History.

By *odgerMan  over a year ago

Coventry(ish)

The football teams continuing to take the knee in the face of the unpatriotic haters and booers calling for ot to stop.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Custard..

Amazingly good when cold..

Nothing? Because being a nationality is simply where you’re born and nothing more or less… I am not responsible for any good or bad that has come from actions of a British person, so take no blame or credit for other people’s actions, I’ll be proud of my actions.

Nothing

Never referred myself as British, I'm English to the core...and what's makes me proud of that fact is everything everyday

Hell

Bang of self-congratulatory historical ignorance off this thread. But I'd expect nothing less

You obviously dont know your British History. "

I'd wager a bet that I know it better than you. Honestly, give it a Google and read about it.

Better yet, here's a link. https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200205-how-britain-is-facing-up-to-its-secret-sl*very-history

Tldr; up until 2015 British taxpayers were lining the pockets of previous sl*veowners as "compensation for lost property" roughly 20 billion pounds was paid to sl*ve owners AND the supposedly freed sl*ves were forced into 6-12 years work as unpaid "apprentices". So sl*vers got richer and still got their free Labour. Go Britain!

That cheer in a pub when someone drops a glass

But humour in general

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

"That cheer in a pub when someone drops a glass

But humour in general "

That gives me anxiety and rage.

I will never understand why people think it's ok to not only celebrate but rub someone's nose into the fact they've fucked up at work. Rare as rocking horse shit I break a glass when I'm having a good day, so always makes a bad one so much worse.

Coventry(ish)

I'd wager a bet that I know it better than you. Honestly, give it a Google and read about it.

Better yet, here's a link. https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200205-how-britain-is-facing-up-to-its-secret-sl*very-history

Tldr; up until 2015 British taxpayers were lining the pockets of previous sl*veowners as "compensation for lost property" roughly 20 billion pounds was paid to sl*ve owners AND the supposedly freed sl*ves were forced into 6-12 years work as unpaid "apprentices". So sl*vers got richer and still got their free Labour. Go Britain! "

Why the * instead of a?

Hell

Tldr; up until 2015 British taxpayers were lining the pockets of previous sl*veowners as "compensation for lost property" roughly 20 billion pounds was paid to sl*ve owners AND the supposedly freed sl*ves were forced into 6-12 years work as unpaid "apprentices". So sl*vers got richer and still got their free Labour. Go Britain!

Why the * instead of a?"

Won't let you post that word unless it's censored in some way.

I think what all these answers prove is that the concept of Britishness and what's to be proud, or happy, or accepted, about it is bloody hard to pin down. People get the warm and fuzzies for it and you can stick pins in stuff like the NHS and BBC and tolerance and humour and fish and chips and never winning at football but always hoping, but then reality kicks in and you realise none of these things are universally loved by all the British.

What it basically comes down to is well at least we're not Nazis.

"I think what all these answers prove is that the concept of Britishness and what's to be proud, or happy, or accepted, about it is bloody hard to pin down. People get the warm and fuzzies for it and you can stick pins in stuff like the NHS and BBC and tolerance and humour and fish and chips and never winning at football but always hoping, but then reality kicks in and you realise none of these things are universally loved by all the British.

What it basically comes down to is well at least we're not Nazis. "

Good shout heir Hitler

Coventry(ish)

Why the * instead of a?

Won't let you post that word unless it's censored in some way."

Ah yes...suppose it eradicates the references to sex slaave

Aberdeen, westhill

Tldr; up until 2015 British taxpayers were lining the pockets of previous sl*veowners as "compensation for lost property" roughly 20 billion pounds was paid to sl*ve owners AND the supposedly freed sl*ves were forced into 6-12 years work as unpaid "apprentices". So sl*vers got richer and still got their free Labour. Go Britain! "

You are mistaken.

From what I remember, this video on youtube 'The British Crusade Against Slav ery' sums up the history very well.

I think you will be surprised at what the counrty did as a matter of principle.

By *issAphroditeWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

"The NHS

Ditto the welfare state"

Third both of them

By *issAphroditeWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

The London Olympics opening ceremony covered most of what I best like about this country and have anything resembling pride in.

Hell

You are mistaken.

From what I remember, this video on youtube 'The British Crusade Against Slav ery' sums up the history very well.

I think you will be surprised at what the counrty did as a matter of principle."

I'm not mistaken. Because I literally quoted the article I linked from the BBC. Which is a much more reputable source than a video on YouTube that "sums up the history very well". There's also a similar article that was written in the guardian... But they're probably mistaken too right?

If you'd like the source it's the "sl*ve compensation act 1837".

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

"Serving in the armed forces. At a time when being patriotic is seen as a negative among the young and what it means to be British is being diluted, it's the one institution which to me still feels British and upholds its traditions and honours its history. When you speak to commonwealth soldiers and Ghurkhas, the pride they have to be serving in the British army and the lengths they went to so they could join it makes you realise what a privilege it is to wear the uniform."

100% !!

Aberdeen, westhill

You ARE mistaken, because you have offered nothing to do with what I said.

Who ended slav ery first?

Britain did.

Who fought to end the slav e trade on the seas?

The British Navy did.

ps The Guardian and the BBC are not reliable sources lol

'some video on youtube' that is full of facts that you cannot dispute.

Anyway, enough malarky...watch the video or dont..i care not.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

How are you bigging up Britain ending the sla ve trade when they were one of, if not the worse, perpetrators of the sla ve trade.

That's like celebrating a serial killer who stopped killing. Yeah I killed 5 people, but I've stopped now so it's all good.

You are mistaken.

I'm not mistaken. Because I literally quoted the article I linked from the BBC. Which is a much more reputable source than a video on YouTube that "sums up the history very well". There's also a similar article that was written in the guardian... But they're probably mistaken too right?

If you'd like the source it's the "sl*ve compensation act 1837". "

Shall we start with Babylonian sl*ves @18th Century BC, or maybe Grecian sl*ves @7th Century BC? Perhaps the Romans, because everyone knows they had sl*ves from @2nd Century BC. The odius practice has been around for some time. Of course it really kicked off in the 15th century when Portugal initiated the African sl*ve trade. They are keeping their heads down, eh? Not to mention the Barbary sl*ve trade when Middle Eastern and North African sl*vers took captives from European coasts including Britain. Of course, they probably don't count....

Aberdeen, westhill

"How are you bigging up Britain ending the sla ve trade when they were one of, if not the worse, perpetrators of the sla ve trade.

That's like celebrating a serial killer who stopped killing. Yeah I killed 5 people, but I've stopped now so it's all good. "

no it isnt. Slav ery was everywhere in the world until the British decided to end it and fight to free slav es.

It quite possibly one of the greatest things ever done by any country in the history of the world.

By *scouple07Couple  over a year ago

louth, Ireland

NHS

Armed forces

By *ormorantMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

The ability to freely give our opinions….

Never have so many owed so much to so few…..

Queuing in an orderly manner, while seething at the queue next to us going down a lot quicker!

Aberdeen, westhill

The ignorance of our History on this thread is astounding. No wonder some have a pathetic self loathing about our country.

Do you know how lucky you are to live here compared to almost anywhere on earth?

A little gratitude would go a long way.

Pukka pies.

By *indergirlWoman  over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"Pukka pies. "

you and your pies

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

I'm not British, I identify myself as English.

I speak English not British & I'm from England or UK.

However, in the spirit of what op is mentioning then perhaps Heinz Baked Beans and Marmite.

They only have them here. It's horrible beans and vegimate abroad (not nearly as nice - YUK!)

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I wouldn't say that I am proud to be British.

However, I do think I'm incredibly fortunate to be.

We might not be perfect but the life we have is so much better than in many other parts of the world.

Definitely for me it’s the pride in the armed forces and all four nations

I’ve served with guys from all over the commonwealth too

The humour and banter we have against each others place of birth can seem brutal at times. But we all serve for the same thing. pride in our flag, regiment or corp, monarchy and nation and all make up the union flag.

The NHS too is an enormous sense of pride,

"Pukka pies.

you and your pies "

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

I am as proud of our freedoms as I am

Ashamed of the inequality, poverty and sense of entitlement we have developed.

I am proud of the best music and festival

Culture in the world and ashamed how we think it’s ok to leave our shit when we go home.

I’m proud of our English cottage gardens but hate how we murder the insects that we need so badly.

I’m proud of our Collective ability to change stuff but ashamed of the population that do nothing and don’t vote.

I’m proud of our education and ashamed that we don’t pay our teachers a good wage.

Proud of our union culture that puts its arms Around our workers but then fuck it up with an inability to negotiate.

I like it here on the whole though.

V x

"I am as proud of our freedoms as I am

Culture in the world and ashamed how we think it’s ok to leave our shit when we go home.

I’m proud of our English cottage gardens but hate how we murder the insects that we need so badly.

I’m proud of our Collective ability to change stuff but ashamed of the population that do nothing and don’t vote.

I’m proud of our education and ashamed that we don’t pay our teachers a good wage.

Proud of our union culture that puts its arms Around our workers but then fuck it up with an inability to negotiate.

V x "

Teachers are actually paid a not bad wage compared to anybody in a minimum wage job. Not to belittle teachers, it's a bloody hard job and worth every penny and more. But it's not a minimum wage job.

Haven been in the Army for 17 years

And now teaching

liverpool

You are mistaken.

If you'd like the source it's the "sl*ve compensation act 1837". "

It also conveniently glosses over our previous association with it.

liverpool

"How are you bigging up Britain ending the sla ve trade when they were one of, if not the worse, perpetrators of the sla ve trade.

That's like celebrating a serial killer who stopped killing. Yeah I killed 5 people, but I've stopped now so it's all good. "

liverpool

That's like celebrating a serial killer who stopped killing. Yeah I killed 5 people, but I've stopped now so it's all good.

no it isnt. Slav ery was everywhere in the world until the British decided to end it and fight to free slav es.

It quite possibly one of the greatest things ever done by any country in the history of the world."

Outstanding

Near Marlborough

V x

Teachers are actually paid a not bad wage compared to anybody in a minimum wage job. Not to belittle teachers, it's a bloody hard job and worth every penny and more. But it's not a minimum wage job. "

I didn’t say it was

V x

liverpool

"The ignorance of our History on this thread is astounding. No wonder some have a pathetic self loathing about our country.

Do you know how lucky you are to live here compared to almost anywhere on earth?

A little gratitude would go a long way."

How quickly loving your own country decends into diaparong others

I’m a patriot, so naturally I am no longer proud to be English, or British - ashamed of the divided and regressive, flag-waving nation we have become.

V x

Teachers are actually paid a not bad wage compared to anybody in a minimum wage job. Not to belittle teachers, it's a bloody hard job and worth every penny and more. But it's not a minimum wage job.

I didn’t say it was

V x "

I work my fucking tits off in a private sector job. On a bit above min wage but not too much. I have experience, knowledge, expertise.

I don't have to deal with a classroom full of overentitled kids this is true, and don't have the responsibility of trying to mould them into healthy useful adults. And this is why my teacher partner earns double what I do. She deserves every fucking penny.

I also work 60 hour weeks doing what I do.

Near Marlborough

V x

I didn’t say it was

V x

I work my fucking tits off in a private sector job. On a bit above min wage but not too much. I have experience, knowledge, expertise.

I don't have to deal with a classroom full of overentitled kids this is true, and don't have the responsibility of trying to mould them into healthy useful adults. And this is why my teacher partner earns double what I do. She deserves every fucking penny.

I also work 60 hour weeks doing what I do. "

Not sure I know why you’re countering my position. It’s ok you don’t agree with me by the way

V x

liverpool

"You ARE mistaken, because you have offered nothing to do with what I said.

Britain did.

The British Navy did.

Anyway, enough malarky...watch the video or dont..i care not."

Can I just clarify.

The bbc and guardian are not reliable but a video on you tube is?

Hell

"The ignorance of our History on this thread is astounding. No wonder some have a pathetic self loathing about our country.

A little gratitude would go a long way."

Gratitude?! Fucking gratitude?!? Would you ever go and shite. The stink of bias off you. Britain is not thought well of by a lot of people and rightfully so.

And you better not be referring to me in any of the nonsense you wrote because I am not British. I am Irish, and less than fucking grateful.

V x

I didn’t say it was

V x

I also work 60 hour weeks doing what I do.

Not sure I know why you’re countering my position. It’s ok you don’t agree with me by the way

V x "

It's not that I disagree. I know firsthand (OK secondhand) how much teachers have to deal with and agree they're underpaid. You could not pay me enough to stand in a classroom and try to make asshole kids into better people. I'd just euthanise them. But fortunately I'm in a job that doesn't pay so much but I don't feel the urge to euthanise the customers. That's why teachers are paid above min wage.

Hell

Britain did.

The British Navy did.

Can I just clarify.

The bbc and guardian are not reliable but a video on you tube is?"

Imagine. And like fair enough but I also named the actual act of parliament. That still isn't good enough and that's from the government themselves haha!

She just doesn't want to hear anything against her precious Britain.

Because God forbid they are actually the source of countless atrocities and not at all historically wonderful.

But yeah, what would I know. I'm only from one of the countries that was oppressed and forever changed by Great fucking Britain. It's clearly me that doesn't know the history. Gobshite.

liverpool

Gratitude?! Fucking gratitude?!? Would you ever go and shite. The stink of bias off you. Britain is not thought well of by a lot of people and rightfully so.

And you better not be referring to me in any of the nonsense you wrote because I am not British. I am Irish, and less than fucking grateful. "

liverpool

Britain did.

The British Navy did.

Can I just clarify.

Imagine. And like fair enough but I also named the actual act of parliament. That still isn't good enough and that's from the government themselves haha!

Because God forbid they are actually the source of countless atrocities and not at all historically wonderful.

But yeah, what would I know. I'm only from one of the countries that was oppressed and forever changed by Great fucking Britain. It's clearly me that doesn't know the history. Gobshite. "

Pesky facts.

Aberdeen, westhill

[Removed by poster at 23/06/21 22:33:41]

Aberdeen, westhill

And you better not be referring to me in any of the nonsense you wrote because I am not British. I am Irish, and less than fucking grateful. "

I referred to 'our country' so that would exclude you....obviously.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"The NHS

I’d be even prouder if it was properly funded. "

Are you including the mess that is the 4 nations/4 different price mess of a semi privatised dental service?

Aberdeen, westhill

Britain did.

The British Navy did.

Can I just clarify.

But yeah, what would I know. I'm only from one of the countries that was oppressed and forever changed by Great fucking Britain. It's clearly me that doesn't know the history. Gobshite. "

I see we are name calling now.

Thats not disputing the facts of my original comment.

ok..time to leave this thread as toxic people are vomitting their anger on it.

Much Love x

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

I’m proud to be welsh that’s as far as it goes ..

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

Salad Cream

Peterborough

If you like Jerusalem by Blake, then check out the end of Supper's Ready by Genesis. If this wasn't 23 minutes long it would be up there with Queen and Led Zep's epics and just as well known.

[Part VII: "As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)" (20:47 - 23:06)]

"Can't you feel our souls ignite

Shedding ever changing colours, in the darkness of the fading night

Like the river joins the ocean, as the germ in a seed grows

We have finally been freed to get back home

There's an angel standing in the sun, and he's crying with a loud voice

"This is the supper of the mighty one"

Lord of Lords

King of Kings

Has returned to lead his children home

To take them to the new Jerusalem"

"Definitely for me it’s the pride in the armed forces and all four nations

The humour and banter we have against each others place of birth can seem brutal at times. But we all serve for the same thing. pride in our flag, regiment or corp, monarchy and nation and all make up the union flag.

The NHS too is an enormous sense of pride, "

It's great that you feel that way, you can be proud of your previous service. But I've got to pick a small point with your post. "[ ...] and all make up the Union Flag."

In Wales the Union Flag isn't too popular as it excludes Wales. Four countries in the UK, but only three represented on the Union Flag.

Time for a change? If Scotland go independent, might that be the time to do it?

Gbat

Den of Iniquity

Can I just ask some people on this thread what's wrong with being proud Irish , Welsh , Scottish , AND British ...

I'm a proud Englishman and a proud Brit and I love all your countries too

Peterborough

"Definitely for me it’s the pride in the armed forces and all four nations

The NHS too is an enormous sense of pride,

It's great that you feel that way, you can be proud of your previous service. But I've got to pick a small point with your post. "[ ...] and all make up the Union Flag."

In Wales the Union Flag isn't too popular as it excludes Wales. Four countries in the UK, but only three represented on the Union Flag.

Time for a change? If Scotland go independent, might that be the time to do it?

Gbat"

Yellow and black in the Union Jack then?

I'd be happier, yeah.

Gbat

Peterborough

"Our resilience in adversity also can you remember Wimbledon in 96 when rain stopped play and cliff Richard got up and got the crowd singing along to his songs fantastic "

Precipitaion, anticipation everybody's getting soaked in this coompetition!

By *oonshadowWoman  over a year ago

COVENTRY

I can get a burger and a pint. That's about it unfortunately.

"Can I just ask some people on this thread what's wrong with being proud Irish , Welsh , Scottish , AND British ...

I'm a proud Englishman and a proud Brit and I love all your countries too "

Nothing. As a proud member of one of the union member nations am also proud to be British.

Many reasons to be proud to be British. Some are not as much at the forefront these days, but NHS, general attitude to fairness, openness and welcoming to all cultures and the everlasting hope of sporting triumph.

Den of Iniquity

"Can I just ask some people on this thread what's wrong with being proud Irish , Welsh , Scottish , AND British ...

I'm a proud Englishman and a proud Brit and I love all your countries too

Nothing. As a proud member of one of the union member nations am also proud to be British.

Many reasons to be proud to be British. Some are not as much at the forefront these days, but NHS, general attitude to fairness, openness and welcoming to all cultures and the everlasting hope of sporting triumph.

"

Yep agreed

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Chips

"I dunno if it makes me proud, but I think it’s pretty amazing all the brilliant music that has come out of this tiny island, most of my favourite bands are from here. "
I'll second that

I'm a proud Englishman and a proud Brit and I love all your countries too "

Mainly that British and English are remarkably similar, and the others are bit-part players who have to go along with the one country that has any decision-making power.

I like England, and many English people, but feel quite strongly that I live somewhere very different, culturally and politically. Not an ounce of anti-Englishness about it, but my country is essentially an irrelevance when it comes to ‘Britishness’ so there’s little to be proud of.

England has done many great things and I can admire them without feeling pride or a need to feel part of an artificial club.

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

Ditto, but Nicola Stubborn, who I think is as ugly as the fish she is named after, I would sooner fight than fuck.

Pretty sure she would rather eat boiled rat than have you fuck her anyway hahaha."

There's a difference between be fed up and being hard up, and I am not that hard up, especially when I return to Fife.

By *hocCock1Man  over a year ago

Southampton

We have all been paying taxes to compensate the traders up to 2015

No pride in that IMHO

By *omesticflightMan  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

[Removed by poster at 26/06/21 10:30:59]

Burton-on-Trent

when you're right, you're right

By *r-OreoMan  over a year ago

telford

The NHS

Burton-on-Trent

tbh, not much. Biggest reason I'm still here is that I don't know any other languages yet.

"Me captain Tom "

The NHS, welfare system, social housing, non profit free education. The fact that we live in a country that after the horrors of two world wars did it's best to take care of it's sick, vulnerable, disabled and poorest members of society. It just breaks my heart that our current government has destroyed so much of what made me proud to be British. I was extremely proud to be European too. I'm not proud anymore, nor have I ever been proud of our colonial past and the celebration of it.

The only thing I'm proud of now is our beautiful green and pleasant land and how a number of people, in spite of our government destructive intentions, still devote their lives to helping others and making a stand.