FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Russell Crowe is Unhinged

Russell Crowe is Unhinged

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ensuallover1000 OP   Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Whoa! I watched this the other night.

Interesting (and a bit sad) to see an Oscar winning actor in such a film but it was rather fun nonetheless.

Interesting also how such a violent film only got a 15 certificate from the BBFC, especially considering, if like me, you grew up in the infamous ‘Video Nasties’ era wherein films that would doubtless be considered tame by todays standards were often banned and/or heavily cut for the most banal of reasons.

Anyhoo - my question in relation to the above:

How do you stand on the subject of film censorship?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

Well like you say a lot of the films that were an 18 back in the day would now days most likely be a 15. I am very fascinated by all the criteria a film has to reach to gain a certain certificate.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Films can influence and I'd prefer that they did so far the better of society. Film makers may get supported, if they seek guidance in advance, concerning themes. We understand today that the many things that had once been considered socially acceptable were often harmful to people.

There are consequences from what we choose to do, so I'd prefer that choices are geared towards being positively enabling, rather than leading to a race to the bottom. We already know that the context is crucial for our understanding of things. Homophobic hate in Russia and elsewhere isn't tolerated elsewhere, for example. I think a lot of gratuitous violence isn't typically necessary in many intelligently crafted films such as horror, as the fear can be induced via other means. There will likely always be some aspects of censorship, limiting content that's not tasteful to decency - where the norms will change - but we should also aim for appropriate limits to censorship.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The 'video nasty' era can be seen as an example of a 'moral panic' where someone decides that X will be harmful to society in some way and cause the breakdown of societal norms. They then start a campaign which is amplified by the media and it feels as though every child is going to end up as a psychopathic serial killer.

Plus by banning something and saying how deplorable it is usually ends up creating a market for it well beyond the original reach if it was allowed to go on it's merry way.

Similar to panics over heavy metal music (Judas Priest and playing records backwards) and having the stickers on CDs warning of 'offensive language in songs' (no matter that I already knew all the offensive language before I started buying music).

The web is now making this stuff harder to contain and 'police'. Will society collapse because of it? Probably not but it will shift and change and the people growing up in this 'new' world will create a different society with different values and morals.

Personally for movies I would prefer the American system - if you want your film to reach a wide audience then get it rated. If not it can be released unrated (or two versions - rated and unrated).

I remember reading that when they were making the Texas chainsaw massacre they made a point of not making it bloody as they were hoping to get a lower age rating, they rightfully failed.

Stunning movie at times though.

By *ensuallover1000 OP   Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"I remember reading that when they were making the Texas chainsaw massacre they made a point of not making it bloody as they were hoping to get a lower age rating, they rightfully failed.

Stunning movie at times though."

The stories of the decidedly unhappy conditions behind the scenes concerning director Tobe Hooper’s tyrannical reign are almost as gruelling as anything Leatherface and his family dished out

"I remember reading that when they were making the Texas chainsaw massacre they made a point of not making it bloody as they were hoping to get a lower age rating, they rightfully failed.

The stories of the decidedly unhappy conditions behind the scenes concerning director Tobe Hooper’s tyrannical reign are almost as gruelling as anything Leatherface and his family dished out "

I might have to make some time to read about that, sounds interesting.

I was keen to watch the Russell crowe movie but think our cinema closed before it was shown sadly.

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

The stories of the decidedly unhappy conditions behind the scenes concerning director Tobe Hooper’s tyrannical reign are almost as gruelling as anything Leatherface and his family dished out

I might have to make some time to read about that, sounds interesting.

I was keen to watch the Russell crowe movie but think our cinema closed before it was shown sadly."

Unhinged staring RC is on sky movies, might watch it this week but currently in deep with the Sopranos

» Add a new message to this topic