FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Career choice

Career choice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is from a couple of days back and it got me thinking, why would you choose a career then complain about doing the job your trained to do?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *im53Man  over a year ago

Boldon

"This is from a couple of days back and it got me thinking, why would you choose a career then complain about doing the job your trained to do?"

because some people are never happy

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

People change. What you wanted to do at 16 isn't necessarily what you want at 40, especially after 24 years of doing the same job.

Personally I'm pushing my career down a different path because I want something to new to challenge me, but also because my body won't let me do the same job all the way to 65, let alone the 67 I probably will have to work to

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

mmmmm well, all I can say is having been more or less unemployed for the best part of 2 1/2 years I have tried to get work in many different areas/fields, the excuses I have received for not employing me have been many and varied but if you analyse them carefully they come down to just two, either (a)I am to experienced for the role which translates to you are to old for us or (b) you don't have enough experience for us in this type of work which translates to, you are to old for us and we don't want to invest in training you.

Fortunately I start work on Monday doing a job I am very comfortable with in a company that doesn't appear to have an underhand ageist policy!

Good luck to anyone seeking new employment its a long haul but even us 'oldies' find something suitable in the end.

By *im53Man  over a year ago

Boldon

me personaly

had to give up the motor trade due to health reasons

now work in a factory and never regreted moving, its warm ,dry ,and clean and best of all more money.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I work in the print trade (pre press dept), I enjoy the roll very much but not my current employer, I also do Freelance Graphic Design.

18 months ago I made a total career change, went from being an office bod which I'd been since leaving college to running a Housekeeping Business !!!

From PA to Professional Scrubber in one move - and haven't looked back since.

Sometimes you just need a change xx xx

i'd be happy if i had a job

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

well health problems (bad back) stopped me from working 15 years ago...so these days I'm just a lady of leisure (unfortunately also a pauper)...but I have to say I really don't know how I ever found time to work

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

"i'd be happy if i had a job "

so know that feeling but I'm happy now only downside is I will be 200 miles from home

By *antsanddorsetMan  over a year ago

southampton

some people just realise they made the wrong career choice, or something comes along that they find of more interest.. i've had major changes forced on me 3 times and even if you end up in a new career you dont like, at least it helps to focus the mind and you start to realise what it is that you realy want..

By *prite128Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

sometimes the job changes too and you find yourself being told to do things which are at odds with the very reasons you went into a profession.

i'm very proud to have trained as a social worker many years ago...but after 20 years the job was unrecognisable and so eventually i decided to change what i did. I couldnt live with the way i was now being asked to work.

Over 30 years with my employer and I love it as much today as when I first started

By *prite128Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

"Over 30 years with my employer and I love it as much today as when I first started "

you're a lucky man x

I run my own business, but sometimes the boss irritates me.

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

"sometimes the job changes too and you find yourself being told to do things which are at odds with the very reasons you went into a profession.

i'm very proud to have trained as a social worker many years ago...but after 20 years the job was unrecognisable and so eventually i decided to change what i did. I couldnt live with the way i was now being asked to work."

So know what you mean...I used to be a social worker...but I'm alright now...lol. I did my CQSW many years ago....loved my job then....really felt I could make a difference...but now they couldn't pay me enough to make me want to go back...still got quite a lot of friends who are social workers?managers...and not one of them is happy with the way things have become

As a career single mum of 17 I find it disgraceful that I have to go to through the effort of going to a nightclub to find a man to make me pregnant. The government should provide me with a man to do that for me and then I could spend that spare time eating mcdonalds and drinking and smoking while watching my 50" plasma tv with sky in my free house. My career has its ups and downs and I would prefer to be a Glamour Model.

I'm a Senior Manager in the Engineering field, been here for 29 years and started at the bottom and worked my way through, the jobs a little boring sometimes and involves loads of travel but I'm happy enough and have plenty of time to come onto the site

By *riendlyfunfemWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

I love my job most of the time though its stressful, sometimes I wish I had a happy job but I think I've found my niche and I'm good at it and all the lovely thank you cards and flowers and chocolate I recieve from satisfied clients must mean I'm doing something right!

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"Over 30 years with my employer and I love it as much today as when I first started "

You love the men in uniform as much as me, don't ya bonky!!

"As a career single mum of 17 I find it disgraceful that I have to go to through the effort of going to a nightclub to find a man to make me pregnant. The government should provide me with a man to do that for me and then I could spend that spare time eating mcdonalds and drinking and smoking while watching my 50" plasma tv with sky in my free house. My career has its ups and downs and I would prefer to be a Glamour Model.

"

lol, i was a single mum at 17 ....

but i worked , infact ive never been out of work till now

weve both got the best jobs in the world and love every day were at work.and no were not joking.

i work hard being on the dole, i hope u lot work fucking harder as i need some new shoes

right seriously now,...

this is one thing that bugs me...

i am classed as a 'carer' for my daughter.

when she came home, from hospital at 5 months old, she was on 24 hour oxygen and tube fed. i had to live 24/7 like a nurse how ever i got no shifts no lunch break and still had to 'work' then next day after a night of alarms going off every half hour (serious!!) i never wanted to be a nurse i never traied to be a nurse but she is my daughter and i had to care for her init.

i could not work... it took me nealy 2 years to get some respite let alone a childminder... so for my 24 hour 7 day a week 'job' i got carers allowence of £50 a week which then they took it out of my income support so in fact i did not recive an allowence???

i am not moaning about having to look after my daughter at all, i am moaning at the system oh i dont know...

i wanted to work but could not they called me a carer and i got fuck all? i have not been to collage but i tell ya now i could be a nurse with out any fucking training lol

does anyone know what i am monaing about? cos i have no idea now i lost myself ages ago ffs

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"right seriously now,...

this is one thing that bugs me...

i am classed as a 'carer' for my daughter.

when she came home, from hospital at 5 months old, she was on 24 hour oxygen and tube fed. i had to live 24/7 like a nurse how ever i got no shifts no lunch break and still had to 'work' then next day after a night of alarms going off every half hour (serious!!) i never wanted to be a nurse i never traied to be a nurse but she is my daughter and i had to care for her init.

i could not work... it took me nealy 2 years to get some respite let alone a childminder... so for my 24 hour 7 day a week 'job' i got carers allowence of £50 a week which then they took it out of my income support so in fact i did not recive an allowence???

i am not moaning about having to look after my daughter at all, i am moaning at the system oh i dont know...

i wanted to work but could not they called me a carer and i got fuck all? i have not been to collage but i tell ya now i could be a nurse with out any fucking training lol

does anyone know what i am monaing about? cos i have no idea now i lost myself ages ago ffs"

Kitty hun, you did what most men could not do, not because we are not capable, but because we are not able to handle it mentally, if that makes any sense. There are guys out there who "care" for members of their family, but for the most part its ladies who do the caring cos its natural for you.

I never believed in all this "the weaker sex" bullshit, most women who bring up kids work bloody hard, and to add to the workload by having to care for someone just shows how "strong" some women are.

As to the lack of funding and support, I still find it unbelievable that any government will not support carers better financially whilst still giving the feckless and workshy the cash to drive cars and take foreign holidays that most working people cant afford.

» Add a new message to this topic