FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should kids eat less cereals?

Should kids eat less cereals?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I think they should cos these contains so much sugar it causes adhd in the long term, sure in moderation in a small portion but oats is always the best option to have.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No

By *edHeadedFunWoman  over a year ago

Didsbury

I suppose it depends on the cereal. My two mainly had weetabix or porridge with the odd coco pops as a treat growing up. Weetabix and porridge because the both played football for both school and local leagues plus other sports at school.

My youngest (he is 19 now) has ADHD and Aspergers but he had the better balanced diet out of them.

I think kids should tell us their plans for Friday and Saturday nights and stop eating haribos .

T

"I suppose it depends on the cereal. My two mainly had weetabix or porridge with the odd coco pops as a treat growing up. Weetabix and porridge because the both played football for both school and local leagues plus other sports at school.

My youngest (he is 19 now) has ADHD and Aspergers but he had the better balanced diet out of them. "

"I think kids should tell us their plans for Friday and Saturday nights and stop eating haribos .

T"

They can still have them but in moderation.

By *ewrocksWoman  over a year ago

button moon

Sugar does not cause Adhd.

"I think they should cos these contains so much sugar it causes adhd in the long term, sure in moderation in a small portion but oats is always the best option to have."

Sugar causes adhd ?

"Sugar does not cause Adhd.

"

"

Come on now you know that this is a shagster thread!!!!!

T

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Lots of cereals are fortified with extra vitamins nowadays, even some of the high sugar ones. I guess its finding a balance a parent is happy with and finding one they will eat for longer than 2 weeks at a time

T"

I might of worded it abit wrong. I meant it causes hyper activity of it.

"I think they should cos these contains so much sugar it causes adhd in the long term, sure in moderation in a small portion but oats is always the best option to have."

Sugar does not cause ADHD. The exact cause of ADHD is not clear, but sugar isn’t one. Factors that may be involved in the development of ADHD include genetics, the environment or problems with the central nervous system at key moments in development.

Maybe check your facts before posting.

"I think they should cos these contains so much sugar it causes adhd in the long term, sure in moderation in a small portion but oats is always the best option to have.

Sugar does not cause ADHD. The exact cause of ADHD is not clear, but sugar isn’t one. Factors that may be involved in the development of ADHD include genetics, the environment or problems with the central nervous system at key moments in development.

Maybe check your facts before posting. "

Jesus Christ Shag

You’ve said before you don’t have kids, why do you judge what they’re eating?

Forget the kids, ‘crunchy nut cornflakes’ has helped me get through lockdown. Indispensable

I get what you're saying and in an ideal world those sugary cereals wouldn't be available, but they are.

Weetabix, Rice Crispies, plain cornflakes are fine I think.

It does no harm to regulate sugar content and I think if parents monitored the sugar content in their diet on a daily basis they would be shocked at how much is consumed, sugar intake is hard to monitor because it is hidden in so much stuff.

As for sugar causing ADHD, I kind of disagree there, causes of ADHD isn't clear, could be genetics, could be caused by imbalance in the brain... but certainly sugar and artificial colours can trigger an episode

Other factors which could have a negative impact on children with ADHD is environment, parenting, screentime.

Though these can negatively impact on a child who doesn't display maladaptive behaviours.

Computer games can alter the wiring in a childs brain, leading to anxiety, affect memory as well as impact on sleep and impact on a social life.

It is about knowing your child and creating a balance...

TI might of worded it abit wrong. I meant it causes hyper activity of it."

That is very different !!

[Removed by poster at 27/05/20 08:46:02]

"I think they should cos these contains so much sugar it causes adhd in the long term, sure in moderation in a small portion but oats is always the best option to have.

Jesus Christ Shag

You’ve said before you don’t have kids, why do you judge what they’re eating?"

I dont. I just think kids in general eat too much sugar these days.

Jesus Christ Shag

You’ve said before you don’t have kids, why do you judge what they’re eating?I dont. I just think kids in general eat too much sugar these days."

*some* kids. There are many responsible parents out there who don't allow too much sugar into their kid's diets.

"I get what you're saying and in an ideal world those sugary cereals wouldn't be available, but they are.

Weetabix, Rice Crispies, plain cornflakes are fine I think.

It does no harm to regulate sugar content and I think if parents monitored the sugar content in their diet on a daily basis they would be shocked at how much is consumed, sugar intake is hard to monitor because it is hidden in so much stuff.

As for sugar causing ADHD, I kind of disagree there, causes of ADHD isn't clear, could be genetics, could be caused by imbalance in the brain... but certainly sugar and artificial colours can trigger an episode

Other factors which could have a negative impact on children with ADHD is environment, parenting, screentime.

Though these can negatively impact on a child who doesn't display maladaptive behaviours.

Computer games can alter the wiring in a childs brain, leading to anxiety, affect memory as well as impact on sleep and impact on a social life.

It is about knowing your child and creating a balance...

"

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Wales

Not all parents Shag.

Life isn’t isn’t quite so black and white. There are various shades of grey in-between.

By *oxychicWoman  over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

Do you think it I ain't of gave my youngest sugared cereal he wouldnt of had adhd and autism , jeez there was a solution all them years ago .......

Jesus Christ Shag

You’ve said before you don’t have kids, why do you judge what they’re eating?I dont. I just think kids in general eat too much sugar these days.

*some* kids. There are many responsible parents out there who don't allow too much sugar into their kid's diets. "

That is right there are as well that too

My child doesn't get hyper active with cereal so its not something I've thought about to be honest. I guess its down to the individual child and the parent though

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I don't know, I grew up eating lucky charms and Nesquik cereal and my attention is fine.....oh look a bird why are my eyes blue Rosie and Jim WOOOOAAHH Bodyform

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Wales

"I don't know, I grew up eating lucky charms and Nesquik cereal and my attention is fine.....oh look a bird why are my eyes blue Rosie and Jim WOOOOAAHH Bodyform "

that made me laugh more than it should have

I really fancy some golden grahams now

By *ecretlivesCouple  over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

C'mon people. Get with the program. Never mind the kids, all adults should get their oats every day. Portion control? Just hang on and enjoy the ride! Wuh!

...Sorry I appear to be channelling Rik Mayall (RIP)

By *hadow1085Couple  over a year ago

GLENROTHES

Sugar doesn't CAUSE ADHD, but it DOES exarcerbate challenging behaviour! So yes, kids should eat less sugary cereals.

Sugar DOES cause obesity, diabeties, heart disease, acidity in the body & fungal infections, so it's in everyones best interest to reduce additional processed sugar.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

The myth that sugar causes hyperactivity is based on one study in the 70's. There are have been countless studies since that show that sugar doesn't cause hyperactivity.

Is too much sugar bad, of course. Do I think cereal is to blame no. Everything in moderation and less perpetuating old myths which isn't helpful to anyone, it confuses the issue.

By *olacolaMan  over a year ago

lincoln

Is it less or fewer?

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Everything in moderation. Better to teach them that than deprive them of something.

Get them to understand that although you may think something is healthy to check the sugar / fat content, like premade smoothies or cereal bars.

GLENROTHES

Did ya'll know that the slogan 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' was an advertising strategy by Kellog to sell corn flakes? He mostly targeted mothers through advertising and guilted them into buying his cereal for thier children using that slogan. I find that hilarious since most cereals these days are jam packed full of sugar, salt & E numbers making them more harmful than healthy, yet people still believe & use the origional sales slogan like it's gospel to condone eating utter rubbish like pop tarts. Imagine managed to pull that one off? 'A glass a day keeps the dentist away' hahahaha

Dont forget that the Surgeon General reccommended smoking cigarettes for good health back when cereal was making its way onto the shelves. Lots of profits made with these declerations!!

I personally don't do breakfast very often at all, I drink water & do excercise or yoga then wait till after noon to eat. Part of my daily detox routune....kids eat brown toast with banana, weetabix or porridge most days. They get pute shite cereal like cookie crisp or coco pops every now & again as a 'treat'.....however I genuinly don't believe eating junk is a treat but a punishment of poison that your cells really dont need to function! But I let them eat thier shite now and again since it tastes so good

GLENROTHES

Imagine coca-cola managed to pull that off -

My shorthand word for coca-cola dissapeared

"The myth that sugar causes hyperactivity is based on one study in the 70's. There are have been countless studies since that show that sugar doesn't cause hyperactivity.

Is too much sugar bad, of course. Do I think cereal is to blame no. Everything in moderation and less perpetuating old myths which isn't helpful to anyone, it confuses the issue."

By *ecretlivesCouple  over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Agreed conflating sugar with ADHD may not be helpful, but Hyperactivity is now more of a medical term, whereas most parents used to (and still do) recognise it as the sudden change in behaviour of their kids after they have had a rapid intake of sugars.

Moderation implies that we are aware of the intake and of its impact, to be able to judge what is moderate. Businesses across the world on the other hand spend hundreds of billions making sure we are NOT aware. They change the nature of sugars, combine them with others, rename them and hide them like drug dealers, one step ahead of the law and full awareness of what the drug does.

We also have a design flaw. We crave sugars but have no excretory method for excess sugar. It rarely occurs in nature. Ultimately even a small daily excess,stored in our bodies over a lifetime, shortens our lives. Its not 'just' obesity. Research on Type3 diabetes indicates we may have a much bigger problem with excess sugars in the brain, as a possible cause of Alzheimers.

So are cereals part of the problem? Abso-bleedin-lutely. Manufacturers take bland relatively unhealthy cereals (bar fibre) and add vitamins and sugars to sell it to kids and parents. An early fix to a lifelong addiction. They're (not) Greeeat.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Cereals are very good for you depending what you buy. Read the food labels on the box. I eat loads of cereal but stick to weetabix, bran flakes, Special k, Shreaded Wheat and porridge. Serve with semi skimmed milk and no sugar where possible.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Porridge without sugar is the way to go but cannot see them giving up the Coco Pops soon.

Glasgowish

"Porridge without sugar is the way to go but cannot see them giving up the Coco Pops soon."

They will only eat what you buy. Parents are in control.

Always makes me laugh about kids and the diets...when I was young a meal was cooked..if you didn't like it you went hungry waiting for the next and hoped you liked that one, no special meals cooked family meal times..we had cereals some loaded with sugar...frosties etc..but only allowed in moderation..and manynof the labels given adhd etc..was well boys will be boys..or such was one term a teacher used about me..

Do you remember Start cereal? I loved that stuff!

"Do you remember Start cereal? I loved that stuff!"
I didnt remember that one, what year was it popular on?

"Do you remember Start cereal? I loved that stuff!I didnt remember that one, what year was it popular on?"

I’d say late 80’s early 90’s they used to be in the variety packs but a couple of years ago they had big boxes but can’t get them now, maybe on amazon for silly money but I googled them and they stopped producing in 2018!

"Do you remember Start cereal? I loved that stuff!I didnt remember that one, what year was it popular on?

I’d say late 80’s early 90’s they used to be in the variety packs but a couple of years ago they had big boxes but can’t get them now, maybe on amazon for silly money but I googled them and they stopped producing in 2018!"

I see and no I lived in sweden during that time until 2000 when I moved to england but yes they sound very tasty cereals as well, it is good that they are still making it, are they still on the shelfs you reckon?

Sugar causes adhd ?"

I thought ADHD was the medical term for shit Parenting...

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

For the love of God please tell me your kidding while some cereal has sugar there are things like weetabix, cornflakes, rice crispys it's upto the parents to watch what they put on them it's their crucial meal of the day it helps brain function so I say they should be eating cereal every morning even twice a day is good

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Kids should eat plenty of cereal just not high sugar cereal.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

The sugar filled cereals are shockingly bad. This is where government need to tackle food producers first.

Glasgowish

"The sugar filled cereals are shockingly bad. This is where government need to tackle food producers first. "

This is where the parents need to stop buying them.

west

"The sugar filled cereals are shockingly bad. This is where government need to tackle food producers first. "

But isn't it parents the ones to blame for buying them like no one is making them to just don't buy them if the sugar is an issue it's that simple lol

west

"The sugar filled cereals are shockingly bad. This is where government need to tackle food producers first.

This is where the parents need to stop buying them."

Good to know someone had their weetabix today lol

"The sugar filled cereals are shockingly bad. This is where government need to tackle food producers first.

This is where the parents need to stop buying them."

Yes I agree they need to stop that also but if it’s not there then they can’t buy it and be swayed by pretty boxes

But isn't it parents the ones to blame for buying them like no one is making them to just don't buy them if the sugar is an issue it's that simple lol "

You can’t simply blame one group. It is a collective as far as I’m concerned.

We always had porridge growing up,the best bit was the dollop of brown sugar we melted through it !

west

But isn't it parents the ones to blame for buying them like no one is making them to just don't buy them if the sugar is an issue it's that simple lol

You can’t simply blame one group. It is a collective as far as I’m concerned. "

Well it's not the kids buying them now is it or am I missing something lol

Well it's not the kids buying them now is it or am I missing something lol "

Some children do but them actually and so do parents. So do supermarkets. A collective. Don’t stock it and they can’t buy it. Or better still don’t put so much sugar in that none of us ask for or need

west

Some children do but them actually and so do parents. So do supermarkets. A collective. Don’t stock it and they can’t buy it. Or better still don’t put so much sugar in that none of us ask for or need "

Children doing the weekly shopping now I've heard it all now you said you can't simply blame one group but in this post your agreeing it's the parents have you your twin that never agrees with you next to you or something cos I'm now confused more weetabix I think I need

Some children do but them actually and so do parents. So do supermarkets. A collective. Don’t stock it and they can’t buy it. Or better still don’t put so much sugar in that none of us ask for or need

Children doing the weekly shopping now I've heard it all now you said you can't simply blame one group but in this post your agreeing it's the parents have you your twin that never agrees with you next to you or something cos I'm now confused more weetabix I think I need "

Nooooo I meant the young uns buy cereals as snacks because they are sugary and in a big box

west

Children doing the weekly shopping now I've heard it all now you said you can't simply blame one group but in this post your agreeing it's the parents have you your twin that never agrees with you next to you or something cos I'm now confused more weetabix I think I need

Nooooo I meant the young uns buy cereals as snacks because they are sugary and in a big box "

Well I don't remember going into a shop as a child asking for a small box of forsties or coco pops I would come out with something much worse an energy drink and a big bag of haribo who are the young uns now lol

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Less cereal, more full cooked breakfasts. With a brew and 3 sugars. Food is a pleasure not just fuel. It's one of the things that make us human.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Nooooo I meant the young uns buy cereals as snacks because they are sugary and in a big box

Well I don't remember going into a shop as a child asking for a small box of forsties or coco pops I would come out with something much worse an energy drink and a big bag of haribo who are the young uns now lol"

Bag of pick n mix for me, white mice and the likes lol and bonus is I still have my own teeth have a bit of a naughty habit these days of munching on dry cereal before bedtime, still I’m sure there’s more naughtiness in a glass of wine.

By *ollycouple71Couple  over a year ago

manchester

"I don't know, I grew up eating lucky charms and Nesquik cereal and my attention is fine.....oh look a bird why are my eyes blue Rosie and Jim WOOOOAAHH Bodyform "

I think if you notice your child has adverse affects to sugar then absolutely cut back.

My kids normally have chocolate spread, honey or jam on toast for breakfast but they certainly don't bounce off the walls, infact everyone comments on how laidback and polite they are.

I'm pretty sure their breakfast has way more sugar then cereal.

Bolton

TI might of worded it abit wrong. I meant it causes hyper activity of it."

Sugar does NOT cause hyperactivity. Ask a doctor. Any doctor.

TI might of worded it abit wrong. I meant it causes hyper activity of it.

Sugar does NOT cause hyperactivity. Ask a doctor. Any doctor."

I dont agree with them, here is why, refined sugars and carbohydrates enter the bloodstream quickly, therefore, they cause rapid changes in blood sugar levels. This may make a child become more active. Several studies have shown a link between artificial colorings and hyperactivity.

west

Well I don't remember going into a shop as a child asking for a small box of forsties or coco pops I would come out with something much worse an energy drink and a big bag of haribo who are the young uns now lol

Bag of pick n mix for me, white mice and the likes lol and bonus is I still have my own teeth have a bit of a naughty habit these days of munching on dry cereal before bedtime, still I’m sure there’s more naughtiness in a glass of wine. "

Add a few cola bottles and a Mars bar and we have a deal

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

We had a list off all e numbers on the wall in my mum's kitchen. It said what number, what it was and weather it was , high, medium or low risk..risk as in me going nuts for a couple of hours. This list was handed out to my mates fokes too who I used to stay over with. Even now..blue/green slushie...dont take me in a car after lol

west

"We had a list off all e numbers on the wall in my mum's kitchen. It said what number, what it was and weather it was , high, medium or low risk..risk as in me going nuts for a couple of hours. This list was handed out to my mates fokes too who I used to stay over with. Even now..blue/green slushie...dont take me in a car after lol "

Oh a drive through a field wouldn't be too bad just imagine where we might end up

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

"We had a list off all e numbers on the wall in my mum's kitchen. It said what number, what it was and weather it was , high, medium or low risk..risk as in me going nuts for a couple of hours. This list was handed out to my mates fokes too who I used to stay over with. Even now..blue/green slushie...dont take me in a car after lol

Oh a drive through a field wouldn't be too bad just imagine where we might end up "

Waiting for the AA?

Keep eating Frosties. They’re greeeeaaaatttt

"I think kids should tell us their plans for Friday and Saturday nights and stop eating haribos .

T"

west

"We had a list off all e numbers on the wall in my mum's kitchen. It said what number, what it was and weather it was , high, medium or low risk..risk as in me going nuts for a couple of hours. This list was handed out to my mates fokes too who I used to stay over with. Even now..blue/green slushie...dont take me in a car after lol

Oh a drive through a field wouldn't be too bad just imagine where we might end up

Waiting for the AA?"

Sounds like a plan to me lol

Sugar does NOT cause hyperactivity. Ask a doctor. Any doctor.I dont agree with them, here is why, refined sugars and carbohydrates enter the bloodstream quickly, therefore, they cause rapid changes in blood sugar levels. This may make a child become more active. Several studies have shown a link between artificial colorings and hyperactivity."

You don't agree with doctors ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

anyone mentioned goats yet ?

"anyone mentioned goats yet ?"

Or boats

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"anyone mentioned goats yet ?"

Did you know that there are over three hundred different breeds of goat today?

I rather like goats

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

My guess is many children possibly eat more refined carbohydrates than would be optimal maybe in some cases can have a variety of detrimental effects on either body or mind

?

My guess is many children possibly eat more refined carbohydrates than would be optimal maybe in some cases can have a variety of detrimental effects on either body or mind

?"

Yes too much of refined carbs is not good either although in moderation it is good to have it.

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

I'd rather my kids had natural sugar & burn it off than be filled full of artificial sweetener & chemicals that could do untold harm such as cause cancer & other diseases. This crap about sugar free drinks being better is total rubbish. Natural is better.

Bolton

Sugar does NOT cause hyperactivity. Ask a doctor. Any doctor.I dont agree with them, here is why, refined sugars and carbohydrates enter the bloodstream quickly, therefore, they cause rapid changes in blood sugar levels. This may make a child become more active. Several studies have shown a link between artificial colorings and hyperactivity."

E numbers may cause hyperactivity. Sugar does not. Studies have been done. Trust the doctor, not your internet fuelled theories. In the 70s and 80s, my childhood era, we ate and drank far more sugar than todays kids. One thing we didnt have was artificial sweetners in everything. Lots of our food, drink and confection had colourants, but we were not told we were hyperactive. We ate rock, kendal mint cake, fudge...we even had sugar sandwiches! The only problems it gave us were fillings.

Sugar is being demonised unfairly.

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

"Porridge without sugar is the way to go but cannot see them giving up the Coco Pops soon.

They will only eat what you buy. Parents are in control."

west

?Yes too much of refined carbs is not good either although in moderation it is good to have it."

I've noticed you have no kids so can I asked who are you to tell us what we should and shouldn't be giving our children and as stated sugar does not cause hyperactivity until you have a family of your own keep your opinions to yourself

I'd love to know how much sugar kids these days eat on average compared to 10 years ago..20 years ago etc

Because most normal food products cereals, beans..normal groceries contain way less sugar and salt than the ones brothers and i ate everyday through the late 70s, 80s and 90s

It's pointless picking out grocery type foods as being the problem when they've massively improved over the years and the kids (and adults) are drinking cans of energy drink on the way to school or work..

And seeing as sugar is being demonized as the cause of many things (some justly and others unjustly) and sugar tax is now a thing why are a lot of these d*unks allowed to be sold in the larger size cans??

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There's no likely link between cereal sugar and ADHD Shag.

I'd prefer children and adults to have healthy diets as it helps to support good health. A lot of modern foods aren't very nutritious, including many cereals. If the cereal is nutritious, has mostly unrefined carbohydrates and plenty of roughage, then it's fine as part of a balanced diet. Many I see on the shelves are pure junk and full of refined sugar. We probably should not let the market be self-regulating. It feels worse in the USA, which the UK creeps towards

By *idingout41Man  over a year ago

Southampton

The subject is far more nuanced that porridge is good and some cereals are bad.

The length of the foods chain molecule dictates how quickly the food is burnt.

At once extreme are sugars like glucose which release energy very fast and gives you a high but them you feel hungry a few moments later. At the other end Oates, beans, non starch vegetables.

All well known stuff.

What might surprise however is what processing can do to food.

Full flame oaks are slow burn however when shredded as in the pots of instant porridge they become fast burn foods. Very fast, almost glucose levels.

Conversely sugars found in fruit are slow burn fuels.

"I'd rather my kids had natural sugar & burn it off than be filled full of artificial sweetener & chemicals that could do untold harm such as cause cancer & other diseases. This crap about sugar free drinks being better is total rubbish. Natural is better. "

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Cereals and sugar is such a bad bad for breakfast , mid morning crash guaranteed, how did we end up here where they are thought of as fairly healthy ? Porridge or eggs and a banana or some grapefruit

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I'd rather my kids had natural sugar & burn it off than be filled full of artificial sweetener & chemicals that could do untold harm such as cause cancer & other diseases. This crap about sugar free drinks being better is total rubbish. Natural is better. "

Better options like local honey or raw/unrefined sugar, white processed and bleached sugar isn’t good in any quantity

We all think differently and do different things.

My kids, who are now in their 30s, had sugary foods, sweets etc, i never let them have artificial sweetners, i think they are bad for our health, they make me very ill. They also ate crisps and chips,even mcdonalds. They also had lots of fibre, fruit, veg, salad etc My kids are healthy, active, slim, no fillings or lost teeth. Worked well for us

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Cereals and sugar is such a bad bad for breakfast , mid morning crash guaranteed, how did we end up here where they are thought of as fairly healthy ? Porridge or eggs and a banana or some grapefruit "

"Cereals and sugar is such a bad bad for breakfast , mid morning crash guaranteed, how did we end up here where they are thought of as fairly healthy ? Porridge or eggs and a banana or some grapefruit "

» Add a new message to this topic