FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Fab - should it be behind a paywall?

Fab - should it be behind a paywall?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he Silver Fux OP   Man 8 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

Would this offload a load of timewasters and improve the site?

The paywall would be the same cost as a silver subscription - stop those junk accounts!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r99mr99Man 8 weeks ago

Ealing

No..it would restrict those who don't necessarily use all the pay features but are active on the site or the forum.

I also think it would restrict those dipping their toes in the water, and would become a far more predatory site

By *asterMeliodasMan 8 weeks ago

Near Keith

I'm not sure that would solve anything. You'd end up with fewer "junk" accounts, for sure, but you'd also put genuine people off who would otherwise have used it, and make it prohibitively inaccessible for newbies.

Uttoxeter

My argument is that the majority of genuine accounts are subscribers - it’s almost impossible to be an active successful Fab profile without the functionality provided by Silver subscription.

Junk accounts degrade this site for everyone plus it allows non subscribers to be unaccountable (they just need a email address) pic stealing, trolling, time wasting…

By *r John WickMan 8 weeks ago

The Continental

No.

Time wasters have access to money that they’re happy to waste, as well as peoples time.

By *aomilatteCouple 8 weeks ago

Midlands

There's loads of timewasters who are site supporters.

There's loads of fake profiles who are site supporters.

Near Keith

"There's loads of timewasters who are site supporters.

There's loads of fake profiles who are site supporters. "

I was about to say this, but you beat me to it.

By *eyond PurityCouple 8 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

I think it would help a lot - anyone can access it now - view anyone and message anyone, interact on the forums.

No other site allows you to do that without paying.

It would stop people signing up for a wank or whilst their wife was out for the night or fake accounts - if they had to pay there’s a trail then.

You should also support the site you use too.

K

Near Keith

"I think it would help a lot - anyone can access it now - view anyone and message anyone, interact on the forums.

It would stop people signing up for a wank or whilst their wife was out for the night or fake accounts - if they had to pay there’s a trail then.

K"

The thing is, considering the owners of Fab consider monthly billing to be sneaky and refuse to do it, how would you introduce a mandatory fee without compromising that?

By *he love catsCouple 8 weeks ago

South Wales

The problem I could see is that people would start to leave their guard down and begin to think that everyone that's paid are safe genuine people that aren't time wasters.

Uttoxeter

"There's loads of timewasters who are site supporters.

There's loads of fake profiles who are site supporters. "

Not saying it will completely eliminate time wasting or fake paid profiles but will make a positive step change in improving our site experience

Uttoxeter

"I think it would help a lot - anyone can access it now - view anyone and message anyone, interact on the forums.

K

The thing is, considering the owners of Fab consider monthly billing to be sneaky and refuse to do it, how would you introduce a mandatory fee without compromising that?"

To join the site you must pay what is currently a Silver subscription with a card and you will receive an account with the basic silver levels of functionality - it’s not difficult

Uttoxeter

"The problem I could see is that people would start to leave their guard down and begin to think that everyone that's paid are safe genuine people that aren't time wasters."

I don’t know about you but I would prefer that the current situation where anyone can create a free account with a disposable email address and can view your public profile, copy pictures, send messages etc not continue. Having to provide bank / card details to join would significantly improve behaviour and standards and having a level of traceability should law enforcement/ legal issues arise.

By *ealitybitesMan 8 weeks ago

Belfast

I don't agree that it should be.

One of the the most appealing things about fab is that it is free to join.

As has been shown on multiple threads over the years there are a lot of people here who firmly believe that because they are site supporters that they are entitled to a little more.

A little more respect and a little more sex.

They are paying for it after all so why aren't they getting value for money?

It's an adult site but always amazing how so many grown adults need their hand held when navigating it.

Doing your own due diligence rather than expecting the crèche owners to do it for you will always be a much better approach and you won't have any issues with timewasters(which is a subjective term here anyway) or fake accounts.

Lincolnshire

K

The thing is, considering the owners of Fab consider monthly billing to be sneaky and refuse to do it, how would you introduce a mandatory fee without compromising that?"

You have basic features but to message someone, view a profile, go on the forums you have to pay.

Other sites you have to verify yourself before you can do anything on it - FAB you don’t so anyone can join, view your profile, take screenshots of what you’ve put in the forums, your profile, etc.

You’d have more accountability and therefore by it being stricter it would eliminate a lot of profiles set up.

K

By *he love catsCouple 8 weeks ago

South Wales

"The problem I could see is that people would start to leave their guard down and begin to think that everyone that's paid are safe genuine people that aren't time wasters.

I don’t know about you but I would prefer that the current situation where anyone can create a free account with a disposable email address and can view your public profile, copy pictures, send messages etc not continue. Having to provide bank / card details to join would significantly improve behaviour and standards and having a level of traceability should law enforcement/ legal issues arise."

I have my filters set so newbies, no photos on profile etc can't view my profile or message me, hopefully this takes care of some of what you mention, although I know filters aren't infallible.

Near Keith

K

The thing is, considering the owners of Fab consider monthly billing to be sneaky and refuse to do it, how would you introduce a mandatory fee without compromising that?

You have basic features but to message someone, view a profile, go on the forums you have to pay.

Other sites you have to verify yourself before you can do anything on it - FAB you don’t so anyone can join, view your profile, take screenshots of what you’ve put in the forums, your profile, etc.

You’d have more accountability and therefore by it being stricter it would eliminate a lot of profiles set up.

K

"

What basic features would there even be on the site if those were all paid ones? (not being glib, I'm genuinely struggling to think of another thing you could do here for free if you had to pay to message people, look at profiles, or access the forums)

Lincolnshire

K

K

What basic features would there even be on the site if those were all paid ones? (not being glib, I'm genuinely struggling to think of another thing you could do here for free if you had to pay to message people, look at profiles, or access the forums)"

You can see how many people are on the site, you can see profile pages but clicking on extra pics or messaging that profile would not take you further unless you were a subscription member, like most sites.

Even screenshotting can’t be done on other sites - it can here.

We don’t ever get random dick pics on other sites or even randoms messaging as the message has to be accepted by you.

FAB has all the features we enjoy for this lifestyle - we are members on other sites but this is easiest the least safest site.

As it has all the features it seems daft not to charge for them.

K

By *cLovin2Man 8 weeks ago

Reading

"Would this offload a load of timewasters and improve the site?

The paywall would be the same cost as a silver subscription - stop those junk accounts!

"

Stop the dickheads sending unsolicited offers of sucking dick to an account which clearly stated that I am straight. I'm afraid charging is the only way to filter out the dross

Near Keith

Stop the dickheads sending unsolicited offers of sucking dick to an account which clearly stated that I am straight. I'm afraid charging is the only way to filter out the dross"

Do you not have messages from single men blocked?

By *ugby 123Couple 8 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

What are junk accounts?

By *cLovin2Man 8 weeks ago

Reading

Stop the dickheads sending unsolicited offers of sucking dick to an account which clearly stated that I am straight. I'm afraid charging is the only way to filter out the dross

Do you not have messages from single men blocked?"

They are now, but it gets in the way of making friends with single guys. It's annoying considering there is a gay version of fab. Why don't they go there?

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 8 weeks ago

somewhere

Some of my best meets have been free users of the site before now!

I see your point OP but I'm toying recently to changing my settings so those only with a subscription can contact me, so the feature is there so try and cut down the fake accounts in that regard.

By *ugby 123Couple 8 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

For info...if you use filters to block out non Site supporters the site will work for you how you want it to

https://www.fabswingers.com/my/filters

By *naswingdressWoman 8 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

A mandatory payment would just be cheap entertainment.

People would let their guard down and so it'd be so much easier to create live theatre of stringing people along.

By *et and WillingCouple 8 weeks ago

Nuneaton

Think if an account must have a face pic veri would help alot.

The meeting veri can be too easily faked.

By *icecouple561Couple 8 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 17/07/24 15:43:21]

By *ewDevonCouple35Couple 8 weeks ago

Exeter

We joined Fab after our first club visit specifically because it was free and we were curious.

It’s unlikely we would have joined had it been behind a paywall and allowing us full access to the site for free made us more included to pay for it once we realised the benefit of the site.

By *lan442Man 8 weeks ago

Bognor

My 2p:

- Free accounts can only use the forum and not send or receive direct messages until photo verified with a face pic

- Free accounts cannot post any public pictures, only attach them to messages (if the above has been completed). It's then up to the receiver of that message how legitimate the image is.

That would save a ton of time on photo verification for the mods.

If a dodgy account then wants to waste money on site supporter while risking being banned - we can't stop that, but at least make a few ££ out of them in the process.

By *r PantyMan 8 weeks ago

Morpeth

"

No, because so called 'timewasters' also have money to spend.

By *eandmrsjones69Couple 7 weeks ago

Middle England

OP if being behind a pay wall is going to give the best online experience; less fakes, timewasters, pic collectors etc then why are you still here?

By *an1978Woman 7 weeks ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

The basic site being free is great, as it let's people dip their toe and find out about the lifestyle.

You can filter out newbies and non subscribers.

Time wasters will pay, as they can get weeks of entertainment for a fiver.

I've temporarily let mine lapse, but having been a paid member for years , I will soon be again.

I hope it will remain free for basic forever

By *andi_kinkygramTV/TS 7 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Whether it being pay for access or mandatory verification, I doubt it would defeat ppl determined to exercise nefarious behaviours. It could even be counter productive to have those mechanisms rigidly applied as they might deter privacy conscious users joining/participating in the site.

Cx

By *he Silver Fux OP   Man 7 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

"OP if being behind a pay wall is going to give the best online experience; less fakes, timewasters, pic collectors etc then why are you still here?"

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make here. Fabswingers is the most popular Lifestyle site in the U.K. why shouldn’t I be a member? I have to put up with fake / junk profiles like everyone else. I am also a member of another site (behind a paywall) for when I am abroad and there is a noticeable difference in peoples behaviour on the site.

I’m asking if Fabswingers would be improved by being behind a paywall. It’s a fact that subscribers who pay to be a member of a site and have to provide personal details are better behaved than those that get access for free…. and have nothing to lose by being trolls, single men pretending to be women or couples, catfishing, timewasters, picture collectors, scammers, stalkers etc. I haven’t said being behind a paywall will completely fix these issues but I believe it would significantly improve the current Fab experience. Everyone complains that things have deteriorated on Fab and eliminating what are effectively disposable anonymous free accounts is one way to improve things. Sure the site may lose certain members who don’t want to or can’t pay but maybe the overall benefits in membership is worth it.

By *icecouple561Couple 7 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"OP if being behind a pay wall is going to give the best online experience; less fakes, timewasters, pic collectors etc then why are you still here?

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make here. Fabswingers is the most popular Lifestyle site in the U.K. why shouldn’t I be a member? I have to put up with fake / junk profiles like everyone else. I am also a member of another site (behind a paywall) for when I am abroad and there is a noticeable difference in peoples behaviour on the site.

I’m asking if Fabswingers would be improved by being behind a paywall. It’s a fact that subscribers who pay to be a member of a site and have to provide personal details are better behaved than those that get access for free…. and have nothing to lose by being trolls, single men pretending to be women or couples, catfishing, timewasters, picture collectors, scammers, stalkers etc. I haven’t said being behind a paywall will completely fix these issues but I believe it would significantly improve the current Fab experience. Everyone complains that things have deteriorated on Fab and eliminating what are effectively disposable anonymous free accounts is one way to improve things. Sure the site may lose certain members who don’t want to or can’t pay but maybe the overall benefits in membership is worth it."

You can filter out profiles that aren't site supporters in messages also site supporters have the badge on their profile. Would that make your experience better?

By *he Silver Fux OP   Man 7 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

"OP if being behind a pay wall is going to give the best online experience; less fakes, timewasters, pic collectors etc then why are you still here?

I’m asking if Fabswingers would be improved by being behind a paywall. It’s a fact that subscribers who pay to be a member of a site and have to provide personal details are better behaved than those that get access for free…. and have nothing to lose by being trolls, single men pretending to be women or couples, catfishing, timewasters, picture collectors, scammers, stalkers etc. I haven’t said being behind a paywall will completely fix these issues but I believe it would significantly improve the current Fab experience. Everyone complains that things have deteriorated on Fab and eliminating what are effectively disposable anonymous free accounts is one way to improve things. Sure the site may lose certain members who don’t want to or can’t pay but maybe the overall benefits in membership is worth it.

You can filter out profiles that aren't site supporters in messages also site supporters have the badge on their profile. Would that make your experience better?"

It does improve things - I have the full filter defences in place

By *ealitybitesMan 7 weeks ago

Belfast

I’m asking if Fabswingers would be improved by being behind a paywall. It’s a fact that subscribers who pay to be a member of a site and have to provide personal details are better behaved than those that get access for free…. and have nothing to lose by being trolls, single men pretending to be women or couples, catfishing, timewasters, picture collectors, scammers, stalkers etc. I haven’t said being behind a paywall will completely fix these issues but I believe it would significantly improve the current Fab experience. Everyone complains that things have deteriorated on Fab and eliminating what are effectively disposable anonymous free accounts is one way to improve things. Sure the site may lose certain members who don’t want to or can’t pay but maybe the overall benefits in membership is worth it."

Everyone doesn't complain that it has deteriorated though.

The vast majority of people here don't have to negotiate fake accounts because they are so blatantly obvious they don't have to engage with them and therefore they have zero impact on their fab experience.

Timewaster is a very subjective term that people often use to describe those who won't meet them.

Asking people on a highly successful site that isn't behind a paywall to give personal details just because some people need their hand held as they navigate the site will never be a popular suggestion.

By (user no longer on site) 7 weeks ago

I personally think give site supporters more perks.. maybe take a few features away from non site supporters.

Or maybe an even better idea.. you have to be face photo verified before you can search for other members and get meet verified and prohibit them from seeing photos on members accounts.. that would cut out the real cretins

By *r PantyMan 7 weeks ago

Morpeth

"I personally think give site supporters more perks.. maybe take a few features away from non site supporters.

Or maybe an even better idea.. you have to be face photo verified before you can search for other members and get meet verified and prohibit them from seeing photos on members accounts.. that would cut out the real cretins "

Why be meet verified ? There are any amount of members who never meet, myself included, but like to go in the chat rooms and the forums ....

By *icecouple561Couple 7 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

You can filter out profiles that aren't site supporters in messages also site supporters have the badge on their profile. Would that make your experience better?

It does improve things - I have the full filter defences in place"

The site is working *for you* in the way you want it to?

By *ilverFoxDubMan 7 weeks ago

Dublin

No.

By *enusandmarsCouple 6 weeks ago

Buryish

Absofuckinglutely

By *ayo45Man 6 weeks ago

Derby

There have been loads of 'paywall' swinger sites in the past, Fab grew because it did NOT use that model.

Better policing by fab mods would solve many of the problems eg instant ban for putting stuff like 'verify me if you met me on my old profile' and unwanted messaging could be drastically reduced if there had to be a returned wink between parties before messaging between them was enabled.......

By *icecouple561Couple 6 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"There have been loads of 'paywall' swinger sites in the past, Fab grew because it did NOT use that model.

Better policing by fab mods would solve many of the problems eg instant ban for putting stuff like 'verify me if you met me on my old profile' and unwanted messaging could be drastically reduced if there had to be a returned wink between parties before messaging between them was enabled......."

Fab forum mods and admin can only enforce the rules and currently asking to be verified by someone you've genuinely met isn't in contravention of them.

Asking to verified without meeting or camming is though.

By *ayo45Man 6 weeks ago

Derby

"There have been loads of 'paywall' swinger sites in the past, Fab grew because it did NOT use that model.

Better policing by fab mods would solve many of the problems eg instant ban for putting stuff like 'verify me if you met me on my old profile' and unwanted messaging could be drastically reduced if there had to be a returned wink between parties before messaging between them was enabled.......

Fab forum mods and admin can only enforce the rules and currently asking to be verified by someone you've genuinely met isn't in contravention of them.

Asking to verified without meeting or camming is though. "

The point about the example I quoted is that the meet took place with a different profile to the one being verified. Who is to know that the person/people behind the profile is the same, unless you meet them again on the new profile? This is a slippery slope and an open invitation for the exchange of (to say the least, questionable) verifications between parties who have not actually met, either through misunderstanding or outright intention to deceive. If it is not in contrvention of Fab's current ToS, they should at least be considering it.

By *bi HaiveMan 6 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

The point about the example I quoted is that the meet took place with a different profile to the one being verified. Who is to know that the person/people behind the profile is the same, unless you meet them again on the new profile? This is a slippery slope and an open invitation for the exchange of (to say the least, questionable) verifications between parties who have not actually met, either through misunderstanding or outright intention to deceive. If it is not in contrvention of Fab's current ToS, they should at least be considering it."

I've verified returning members several times. I know it's them because I know them in real life, talk regularly and have met them face to face multiple times over the years.

People come and go. Some hide their profiles and some delete for a clean break, a rest from the site and a fresh start. Sometimes they do it to avoid drama from others on here.

They're still the same people.

By *ayo45Man 6 weeks ago

Derby

The point about the example I quoted is that the meet took place with a different profile to the one being verified. Who is to know that the person/people behind the profile is the same, unless you meet them again on the new profile? This is a slippery slope and an open invitation for the exchange of (to say the least, questionable) verifications between parties who have not actually met, either through misunderstanding or outright intention to deceive. If it is not in contrvention of Fab's current ToS, they should at least be considering it.

I've verified returning members several times. I know it's them because I know them in real life, talk regularly and have met them face to face multiple times over the years.

People come and go. Some hide their profiles and some delete for a clean break, a rest from the site and a fresh start. Sometimes they do it to avoid drama from others on here.

They're still the same people. "

That's a good point but the key bit is 'know them in real life' i.e. have an onging and current real life friendship and communication.

Having myself been solicited to give a fake verification about a year ago and then insulted when I declined, with a message chain visible clearly showing this, only to see the profile concerned still active on Fab 2 weeks after reporting the matter, I'm rather dubious that things are as tightly run as they could and should be.

The fact that this thread exists at all says that not everyone is happy with how things are......

By *bi HaiveMan 6 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

That's a good point but the key bit is 'know them in real life' i.e. have an onging and current real life friendship and communication.

Having myself been solicited to give a fake verification about a year ago and then insulted when I declined, with a message chain visible clearly showing this, only to see the profile concerned still active on Fab 2 weeks after reporting the matter, I'm rather dubious that things are as tightly run as they could and should be.

The fact that this thread exists at all says that not everyone is happy with how things are......"

You reported which was the right thing to do.

The site gives tools to help. You can filter out unverified and new profiles from contacting you. You can search for verified only users.

No 'system' would be foolproof. A pay wall may deter some but a fiver a month isn't much more than a single coffee at Costa. Do you really think it would deter people?

The greatest tool you have is common sense. If you're suspicious someone isn't who they claim, move on. Report if you think necessary. A simple phone call or video chat can easily prove someone is real. Relying purely on messages and verifications is personal choice.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

The fact that this thread exists at all says that not everyone is happy with how things are......"

Profiles aren't suspended for every infringement. Usually they're warned first and suspended if they do it again, either for a short period or permanently.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Here is an explanation from Admin from another thread on how they deal with reports.

******Just a quick note. If people report others and we can verify that they have broken site rules, we always take action (either a first and final warning, partially suspended account, fully suspended, mixture of the above).

Every single report sent via the REPORT link is reviewed. Clearly it's not in our interests to have people on here who are bad for the site. Equally we need to verify what has been reported and be fair to those who have been reported.

Admin

PS. we never provide feedback on what has happened. It's just not practical given that we get 100s of reports a day.

Here is what the page says after a report has been submitted:

--

Your feedback has been saved.

A website admin will shortly review your feedback and take the necessary action. After reviewing the evidence available to us, we may disable an account, remove a user, disable certain aspects of that user's account or issue a warning.

By leaving feedback you help improve the site for everyone who uses it. Thank you.******

By *ophieslutTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Central

No. Just take responsibility for how you use the site.

Better to have a larger volume of people here and no faux sense of security but take responsibility for yourself and how you use it

» Add a new message to this topic