FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > Welsh castles

Welsh castles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *layfullsam OP   Man  over a year ago

Solihull

Sorry it's not swinging related but my son loves castles and we've done loads of English ones and raglan.

Have any parents done various welsh ones like castle coch and Caerphilly or even ones I've not heard of ideally in south or west wales not north that they can recommend ?

Looking to fill up the days when he's with me during the holidays not my ex

Thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Castle Coch is beautiful!!! The rooms are full of gorgeous items of history. I love it!! Highly recommend.

Cardiff Castle i never seem to make it past the Walls.

I can recommend St Fagans too which although is not a Castle it really is very interesting!!

Caernarfon Castle (North Wales) is also good, wear good walking shoes for that.

Solihull

Thanks for the suggestions, there are some amazing pieces of history out there.

I wasn't sure if castle coch was a real castle as I've driven on the m4 and the tip of the tower looks Disney world ish.

Is cardiff better than Caerphilly and castle coch ?

Just googled and I've missed the big cheese festival based around the castle

Castle Coch is where the Marquess of Bute lived so it's not a castle in the true sense of the word, it was a family home.

I think thats right anyway...

My all time fave is Castle Coch and St Fagans but only because i never seem to get around Cardiff Castle, only the grounds and once

Tou' e seen one bit of green and a peacock tou've seen them all, and i've never been to Caerphilly Castle either.

Sure someone else will be along to say more about them. If you google Welsh castles a list of them and what they offer should come up, that might be helpful x

But honestly, St Fagans is really good!!

Solihull

Thanks miss valiant I'll add st fagans to our list of to do's

Google here we come

Visit the Cadw website. That seems to have a fair bit on there you might find handy

Solihull

Ps I'm not sure about beautiful castle coch as my son and me like battles and dungeons kind of castles lol

Solihull

"Visit the Cadw website. That seems to have a fair bit on there you might find handy "

Thanks for your time, wasn't sure about posting a none swinging post x

"Visit the Cadw website. That seems to have a fair bit on there you might find handy

Thanks for your time, wasn't sure about posting a none swinging post x"

Well wherever you visit hope you both have a lovely time

By *ve 66Woman  over a year ago

Blackwood

Caerphilly castle is lovely to stroll around... If u take sarnies watch out for the swans

By *_th0m_xxxMan  over a year ago

Swansea

white castle, not far from Ragland. Then plenty down south west coast wobbley, Pembrokeshire ect all way to st David's

Carreg cennen near Ammanford, lots more around that area

Marquis of Bute built Castell Coch for his daughter hence the fairytale castle lolo. They have sort of ruins of castles in Kidwelly and a lovely one nr the water across the estuary from Ferryside cant remember the name of the place it begins with an L

and Caerphilly castle lol

By *ndyandMandyCouple  over a year ago

swansea

Mumbles. They've done a phenomenal job there

Caerphilly Castle.....2nd largest in Britain 3rd in Europe. Not built for a king although a King did stay there. The leaning tower leans at more of an angle than that one in Pisa.

By *eral SexMan  over a year ago

Port Talbot

Yep it really is an amazing castle, Caerphilly, and always lots going on. Further west is Oystrmouth Castle just outside Swansea. Fabulous bay, pretty village, and usually summer events. What you're doing with your son is fabulous. He'll remember all of these times.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

There is a Norman Keep not far from Brecon, in fact there are a few, one of the best is in Bronllys and its free to go in, there's also Tretower court near Crickhowell.

You must see Caerphilly Castle!

Also Castell Coch is about a 10 minute drive away, if you get to Caerphilly early enough you could also fit in St Fagans or possibly Cardiff Castle.Caerphilly castle has a town around it so you could stock up on sandwiches etcloads of cafes.St Fagans is the only one free mind , but you do need to pay a fiver to park all day.

By *uddsWoman  over a year ago

st athans

there is a food festival on in st fagans on 9th and 10th september,we go every year it is really good,plenty of home made stuff to buy ie different and unusual cheese,jams,pickles,pies etc etc.

they also sell beers in bottles that you cant get everywhere and they sell hog roast rolls and other types,so many different things well worth a visit

If ever you're up North a bit, and really want to feel the atmosphere of the Age of the Castles, it's well worth taking the time to visit little Castell y Bere near Abergynolwyn.

It's mostly in low ruins now, but entry is free, and you can often be the only one there, at the end of a long valley lane...

The modern day doesn't intrude at all, and you feel as if its magnificent surroundings, under Cadair Idris, haven't changed since the day it was built.... Surrounded by farmland, meadows, and towering mountains, you can feel yourself stepping back into time far more than at any of the other castles in populated areas.

One of those places to just sit and let your mind dream for a while...

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Mold

The are a lot of unknown castles in the south east and borders.

For example White Castle, Grosmont Ogmore and Raglan

By *ax-BangingMan  over a year ago

town

Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world.

Mold

"Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world. "

All because of the bolshy Welsh

Solihull

"The are a lot of unknown castles in the south east and borders.

For example White Castle, Grosmont Ogmore and Raglan "

Raglan was quite good, just very ruined apart from a couple of rooms.

Solihull

And Goodrich but I'm sure that's our side of the border.

Couple of good ones in Cornwall that they used for ww2 gun emplacements so I loved those

Solihull

"You must see Caerphilly Castle!

Also Castell Coch is about a 10 minute drive away, if you get to Caerphilly early enough you could also fit in St Fagans or possibly Cardiff Castle.Caerphilly castle has a town around it so you could stock up on sandwiches etcloads of cafes.St Fagans is the only one free mind , but you do need to pay a fiver to park all day."

Cheers buddy so is the castle in Caerphilly complete if that makes sense or ruins like raglan ?

I think that's one day trip sorted

Solihull

"Yep it really is an amazing castle, Caerphilly, and always lots going on. Further west is Oystrmouth Castle just outside Swansea. Fabulous bay, pretty village, and usually summer events. What you're doing with your son is fabulous. He'll remember all of these times. "

Thanks for the kind words, I never had it as a kid so even though me and ex have split I'm determined to do my bit

Solihull

"Caerphilly Castle.....2nd largest in Britain 3rd in Europe. Not built for a king although a King did stay there. The leaning tower leans at more of an angle than that one in Pisa. "

Is it seriously that big ? brilliant

By *untime biatchWoman  over a year ago

ova by ea wales

"Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world. "
we've loads in north Wales have one on my door step its beautiful working castle with dungeons

By *ace2faceCouple  over a year ago

cardiff

Chepstow, Caldicot, Raglan, Goodrich, Skenfrith....all within 20 minutes of each other.

Solihull

"Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world. we've loads in north Wales have one on my door step its beautiful working castle with dungeons "

Thank you, you seem rather keen in the dungeons lol

Solihull

"Chepstow, Caldicot, Raglan, Goodrich, Skenfrith....all within 20 minutes of each other."

Thank you, we've done Goodrich and raglan but I've never heard of skenfrith so will do some homework

Also Castell Coch is about a 10 minute drive away, if you get to Caerphilly early enough you could also fit in St Fagans or possibly Cardiff Castle.Caerphilly castle has a town around it so you could stock up on sandwiches etcloads of cafes.St Fagans is the only one free mind , but you do need to pay a fiver to park all day.

Cheers buddy so is the castle in Caerphilly complete if that makes sense or ruins like raglan ?

I think that's one day trip sorted "

It's complete!

By *inataur1Man  over a year ago

Rhondda/Bristol

Wales is known as the Castle capital of the World, with over a 100 still standing. But even the ones that are ruins have amazing history.

Solihull

I think that's one day trip sorted

It's complete! "

Woohoo

ova by ea wales

"Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world. we've loads in north Wales have one on my door step its beautiful working castle with dungeons

Thank you, you seem rather keen in the dungeons lol"

gotta love a dungeon

Solihull

"Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world. we've loads in north Wales have one on my door step its beautiful working castle with dungeons

Thank you, you seem rather keen in the dungeons lol gotta love a dungeon "

If I hear moans of pleasure not pain coming from them I'll keep my son walking past

By *roggMan  over a year ago

haverfordwest

as has been mentioned many in wales and others that may not have been in this thread worth looking at are national trust places penrhyn castle by bangor in north wales , chirk castle and Powys castle near welshpool , Conwy in north wales is another cadw one aswell as harlech

By *roggMan  over a year ago

haverfordwest

[Removed by poster at 21/08/17 21:59:49]

Port Talbot

Yep, over 600.

Port Talbot

"Yep it really is an amazing castle, Caerphilly, and always lots going on. Further west is Oystrmouth Castle just outside Swansea. Fabulous bay, pretty village, and usually summer events. What you're doing with your son is fabulous. He'll remember all of these times.

Thanks for the kind words, I never had it as a kid so even though me and ex have split I'm determined to do my bit "

Good for you, your commitment to your son stands out.

Solihull

"Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world.

Yep, over 600."

I think we'll struggle to do 600

By *JJJJxMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Related to castles is the medieval village at Cosmeston: take one of the afternoon guided tours - the guides are amazing. On a separate but related note there's also the Roman town of Caerleon - fantastic amphitheatre remains and great museum and baths

I live near caerphilly castle and take my daughter there a lot. Highly recommended, castle coch is also amazing, but something that could be equally as good id the rome village in caerloen (newport). Really an amazing place.

Mold

You can get a 3 or 7 day pass with CADW.

The 3-day pass can be used in any 7-day period and the 7-day pass in any 14-day period.

By *elshguy999Man  over a year ago

Caerphilly

"Chepstow, Caldicot, Raglan, Goodrich, Skenfrith....all within 20 minutes of each other."

I like Chepstow. Also you have the roman amphitheatre in Caerleon.

Solihull

Thank you to everyone who is taking the time to offer up suggestions, it's very much appreciated

By *halky47Man  over a year ago

merthyr tydfil

Chepstow castle is worth a visit.

Caldicot castle is worth seeing.

By *omethingOriginalMan  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire and Cardiff

"Ps I'm not sure about beautiful castle coch as my son and me like battles and dungeons kind of castles lol"

For a battle and dungeon castle you can't beat Pembroke Castle! Massive, loads to see, great history. Definitely my favourite castle.

By *omethingOriginalMan  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire and Cardiff

"Wales is officially the best place in the world, for castles there's more per square mile than anywhere else in the world.

All because of the bolshy Welsh "

Proud of that to this very day!

By *revor1940Man  over a year ago

west of Haverfordwest

You said south and west. This means Pembroke castle which caters for children very well. Also as you cross the bridge Henry VII is now on it looking up at where he was born. Carew is not really a castle but also child friendly as I remember.

Solihull

Made the rash decision to jump in the car and we drove down to Caerphilly castle this afternoon as a spur of the moment kind of thing.

Just got back in time for us to go to the football tonight so it's been a good day

Port Talbot

Yep, over 600.

I think we'll struggle to do 600 "

Its the RCAHMW list, that includes sub Roman hillforts, ruined sites, archaeological tumps, your proper medieval castles and Victorian faux-castles. 600 o the fuckers. I've got one in my woods y'know. Xxx

Port Talbot

"Made the rash decision to jump in the car and we drove down to Caerphilly castle this afternoon as a spur of the moment kind of thing.

Just got back in time for us to go to the football tonight so it's been a good day"

Glad it paid off. Visit again soon.

ova by ea wales

Proud of that to this very day! "

snap same here

Check out our pics!

By *ueynteMan  over a year ago

Cowbridge

Proud of that to this very day! "

You bet! Bloody immigrants.

Mold

"Check out our pics! "

Where's the castle?

And I hope the op doesn't show them to his son

Port Talbot

"Check out our pics! "

I wonder if anyone on the site has had the experience of sending a lot of castle pictures to a Hot Sunning Couples thread by mistake? ...

Mold

"Check out our pics!

I wonder if anyone on the site has had the experience of sending a lot of castle pictures to a Hot Sunning Couples thread by mistake? ..."

Pictures of crumbling erections?

Solihull

"Check out our pics! "

Hi, I'll stop myself from looking at them on my own, when my son gets up I'll treat him to a surprise

I can't wait to see his face as we look at your castles

By *aydee65Man  over a year ago

Near Merthyr

Cyfarthfa castle has a museum in it too. Very interesting.

By *ackInBlackMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

Can definitely recommend both Caerphilly and Chepstow Castles. Took my three daughters to both every summer, when I had them stay over at mine. Two of the three ended up doing history degrees lol. Always good to mix a bit of culture in with the beach and fairground, Oakwood Park, kind of stuff

Caerphilly, is I believe the 2nd biggest castle in the UK. Morgan Jones park, which is recommended as it has a good playground for kids, is over the road, at the back of the castle.

Chepstow Castle was always a good afternoon out. Though not as big as Caerphilly, is full of historical interest.

I can recommend Big Pit at Blaenavon too, for an afternoon out

» Add a new message to this topic