FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > Cure migraines

Cure migraines

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Any help would be great. Had a one all day. Tablets not hitting it at all.

Joe xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iforfun999Man  over a year ago

Haverfordwest

There are different types of migraine, so I'd recommend visiting the .org website which starts with the word, migraine. (In case website addresses aren't allowed on here.

For me, keeping cool by stripping off, ice pack wrapped in a tea towel and placed on the head whilst in a darkened room, helps, moving it to underneath the pillow now and again to cool it also.

Medication wise, Migraleve pink tablets have the anti sickness additive in it, the yellow do not and they can help a migraine from fully developing. Neurogenic Plus can be effective, due to the higher codeine for an over the counter medication.

Once underway, they don't work for me, so if a full on migraine has started, I take one of the following options.

Discuss with your doctor first! Sumatriptan or Naratriptan pills are available prescription only. They are similar, so after a long period, it's best to switch to the other one if those or one of others. They are effective within hours but can leave you a bit light headed, not too spaced out but definitely better than the migraine! Alternatively, there are over the counter versions, one being Immigran Recovery. Expect to answer some questions on paper before they'll sell it to you, approx £7 for 2 pills, I think, only 1 needed.

If I wake up with a really bad migraine and I need instant relief more than normal, I have on prescription Immitrex Subject. It's like an epipen which auto injects a tiny amount of the medicine into an outer thigh, preferably. It only works correctly, due to safety features and easy to use. Yes it's an injection, yes it sometimes hurts for a second or two, but trust me, it's well worth it!! Relief usually comes within 30 minutes and it's usually gone within 45 minutes. The only downside is that the doctor restricts the number prescribed to 6 per month.

Other things which can help are drinking water and not getting dehydrated. Coconut water has helped on some days, the Ines which are mainly natural and not processed too much. Avoid TV and computer screens, especially at night and also driving at night can be a trigger, often recognised early when realising lights seem brighter than usual.

Hope some of the above helps and it eases soon. Knowing triggers can help avoid future attacks, whether it's food, additives, environmental, stress, smells, lights, overheating, dehydration or one of a number of different things.

Good luck!

PS - Sometimes sex and ejaculation can stop a migraine, but often it's just a temporary solution, as it returns. Worth investigating though, for research purposes of course.

Haverfordwest

Also, try to sleep it off. I used to get sleeping tablets from the doctor, as they really were effective at easing the migraine and then help to sleep it off.

This is based on personal experience, I am not recommending to use any medication without seeing your doctor first.

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

Feet in warm water and a cold compress on the back of the neck sometimes helps

Thanks for the advice. Tried sleeping it off no joy. Even tried the sex thing still no joy. Will see doc tomorrow.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sit in a dark room, chuck a cold flannel on your head and shut your eyes for a bit ... always works for me!

Working a night shift hasn't helped. But taken more tablets. So with luck I'll be sorted later... I hope.

Joe xx

My experience sleep it off, head under the duvet to keep as much light away as possible. If you get nausea with your migraine, it sometimes helps to make yourself sick. I used to suffer for hours before being sick then immediately feeling better. A glass of milk (milk makes me sick) and I would be sick immediately and feel better quite quickly.

I've also read that blue or green tinted glasses helps a lot of people.

Im on Naproxen tablets for my migraines. They tend to help. But you gotta get them on perscription

I use the following for mine. Used to have medication but stopped it due to it having a great impact on my mental health.

Tiger balm - Small bit on each temple and a little on the forehead

Anadin Extra - Paracetamol, Caffeine and Aspirin tablets. Seek medical advice beforehand if you are unsure about allergies to aspirin or paracetamol. Two tablets is the max you should take.

Tea - I usually take tablets with water and then afterwards make a cup of tea with 3 sugars.

The human body differs per person. But those at what work for me and I've suffered for over 20 years with them.

By *ve 66Woman  over a year ago

Blackwood

A black out blind is a must especially as light nights are here also of course silence.

Haverfordwest

"I use the following for mine. Used to have medication but stopped it due to it having a great impact on my mental health.

Tiger balm - Small bit on each temple and a little on the forehead

Anadin Extra - Paracetamol, Caffeine and Aspirin tablets. Seek medical advice beforehand if you are unsure about allergies to aspirin or paracetamol. Two tablets is the max you should take.

Tea - I usually take tablets with water and then afterwards make a cup of tea with 3 sugars.

The human body differs per person. But those at what work for me and I've suffered for over 20 years with them. "

I'm genuinely envious that such simple solutions work to combat your migraines. I've had mine for over 35 years, maybe 10 a month or more and painkillers are like tic tacs, without the flavour.

Just buy a motorcycle and go for a ride somewhere the adrenaline will make ur head better also works for cuts brusing and hangovers.....

"I'm genuinely envious that such simple solutions work to combat your migraines. I've had mine for over 35 years, maybe 10 a month or more and painkillers are like tic tacs, without the flavour. "

That used to be the case for me. But then I tried those Anadins mentioned in my previous post. They proved a lot more successful than any type and strength paracetamol or ibuprofen I had tried.

If you've never tried them and can take aspirin. I highly recommend them! They are the red and yellow box ones.

Haverfordwest

"I'm genuinely envious that such simple solutions work to combat your migraines. I've had mine for over 35 years, maybe 10 a month or more and painkillers are like tic tacs, without the flavour.

That used to be the case for me. But then I tried those Anadins mentioned in my previous post. They proved a lot more successful than any type and strength paracetamol or ibuprofen I had tried.

If you've never tried them and can take aspirin. I highly recommend them! They are the red and yellow box ones. "

I have tried them and they help, in my case. Like you said, we are all different and what works for one might not work for someone else. My brother get them from eating bananas, no other trigger whatsoever and his go-to cure is a hot shower on the back of the neck. I tried it and it made it worse. LOL

Here's a couple:

Lay on a flat surface cover ur eyes with a pillow or a cold cloth and try to release the grip on ur jaw it takes a while and u might not realise ure doing but u just breath deeply in and out and release all those muscles ure tightening eventually u will relax enough to sleep fr an hour or so and it will relieve it.

Another method is an Indian head massage where particular attention is paid to the rhomboids or muscles along the neck and stretching them. Try it really helps

Ps if ure capable of doing it self hypnosis or meditation sit in a dark room with candle infront of u concentrate on the flame and breath deeply through ur nose and out through ur mouth. In the process release any tense muscles again jaw shoulders just let go lol.

Close ur eyes breath in then open them as ure breathing out. It's very hard to do specially if ure tightly wound up but try it u never know

Haverfordwest

Well, I woke up with a migraine at 7 am this morning and just couldn't function enough to try the feet in warm water and something cold on the back of the neck, or something like that.

That's the way it goes when a migraine is underway, there's very little we can focus on and just need it to stop. Having a partner around would help and hats off to all partners of migraine sufferers. Their lives are thrown upside down too and just by being there and understanding, we appreciate everything they do, even if we can't say so at the time.

My migraine has gone now, after a Naratriptan pill and sleeping it off in a dark room. It wasn't bad enough to stab myself in the leg with an Immitrex subcutaneous auto injection.

» Add a new message to this topic