FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > PFAS forever chemicals

PFAS forever chemicals

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *melie LAL OP   Woman 4 weeks ago

Peterborough

Currently watching countryfile (a first for me) on the subject of PFAS and the risk from human exposure.

Common: immunosuppression, liver disease, endocrine disruption (thyroid), cancers.

Very little breaks them down, they accumulate and bind with protein in the tissues, blood and breastmilk.

Chronic exposure can cause a decline in fertility.

Sources of pfas: pesticides.

Safe levels, DEFRA (government office) considers them as such.

I've been put off strawberries.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *younaughty2Man 4 weeks ago

preston

"Currently watching countryfile (a first for me) on the subject of PFAS and the risk from human exposure.

Common: immunosuppression, liver disease, endocrine disruption (thyroid), cancers.

Very little breaks them down, they accumulate and bind with protein in the tissues, blood and breastmilk.

I've been put off strawberries."

Its in almost everything we consume these days, also try to get rid of any non stick cookware, I transitioned to stainless steel cookware

Peterborough

PFAS

PFAS (Per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances), also known as the Forever Chemicals, are a large chemical family of over 10,000 highly persistent chemicals that don’t occur in nature.

PFAS are the most persistent synthetic chemicals to date, they hardly degrade in the natural environment and have been found in the blood and breastmilk of people and wildlife all around the world.

PFAS are used in a wide range of consumer products due to their ability to repel both grease and water, including:

In paper and cardboard food packaging (e.g. takeaway containers, popcorn bags, pizza boxes, ready-made cakes etc.)In non-stick cookwareIn textiles (e.g. waterproof outdoor clothing and equipment, carpets, mattresses etc.)In cosmetics (e.g. hair conditioner, foundation cream, sunscreen etc.)In electronics (e.g. smartphones)

Found in rivers, seas and drinking water.

By *oandstephCouple 4 weeks ago

Bradford

"PFAS

PFAS (Per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances), also known as the Forever Chemicals, are a large chemical family of over 10,000 highly persistent chemicals that don’t occur in nature.

PFAS are the most persistent synthetic chemicals to date, they hardly degrade in the natural environment and have been found in the blood and breastmilk of people and wildlife all around the world.

PFAS are used in a wide range of consumer products due to their ability to repel both grease and water, including:

In paper and cardboard food packaging (e.g. takeaway containers, popcorn bags, pizza boxes, ready-made cakes etc.)In non-stick cookwareIn textiles (e.g. waterproof outdoor clothing and equipment, carpets, mattresses etc.)In cosmetics (e.g. hair conditioner, foundation cream, sunscreen etc.)In electronics (e.g. smartphones)

"

also known as glysophate

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"PFAS

Found in rivers, seas and drinking water."

"also known as glysophate"

Glyphosate is a killer that contains no fluorine whatsoever, meaning that it's not a PFA. Plus, glyphosate is quite easy to break down, and can't be considered a 'forever chemical'.

Bradford

"PFAS

also known as glysophate

Glyphosate is a killer that contains no fluorine whatsoever, meaning that it's not a PFA. Plus, glyphosate is quite easy to break down, and can't be considered a 'forever chemical'."

maybe not then 👍cheers

By *ophieslutTV/TS 4 weeks ago

Central

Their widespread use and lack of removal during cleaning does concern me. Since we left the EU, our environmental standards have declined, with the previous government cutting resources and testing, such as for water, being left to the cowboy water companies.

This huge group of chemicals should be much more restricted and I dislike the concept of them being associated with food items. Packaging should be replaced by alternatives very quickly by legislation. Too long is given to corporations to wind down use, before stopping.

Producers should pay in arrears for environmental cleaning up. Landfill leaks are commonplace and the public pays in poor health and clean up.

Gilfach

[Removed by poster at 19/08/24 07:56:56]

Gilfach

"Glyphosate is a killer that contains no fluorine whatsoever, meaning that it's not a PFA. Plus, glyphosate is quite easy to break down, and can't be considered a 'forever chemical'."

I meant to say "Glyphosate is a w-e-e-d killer ...", but the forum software filtered the word 'w-e-e-d' out for me.

Bradford

"Glyphosate is a killer that contains no fluorine whatsoever, meaning that it's not a PFA. Plus, glyphosate is quite easy to break down, and can't be considered a 'forever chemical'.

I meant to say "Glyphosate is a w-e-e-d killer ...", but the forum software filtered the word 'w-e-e-d' out for me."

not sure on the fine details but i know theres been traces found in bread wheat ect so not aure how well it breaks down and i dont think monsata have the best track record

By *londebiguyMan 4 weeks ago

Southport

"Their widespread use and lack of removal during cleaning does concern me. Since we left the EU, our environmental standards have declined, with the previous government cutting resources and testing, such as for water, being left to the cowboy water companies.

This huge group of chemicals should be much more restricted and I dislike the concept of them being associated with food items. Packaging should be replaced by alternatives very quickly by legislation. Too long is given to corporations to wind down use, before stopping.

Producers should pay in arrears for environmental cleaning up. Landfill leaks are commonplace and the public pays in poor health and clean up. "

This was all happening within the EU and still is happening.

I work in other EU countries a lot and they are also concerned.

Huge businesses and their money control it .

By *rish_polarisMan 4 weeks ago

Limerick

They are everywhere. thanks DuPont and 3M - DuPont spun off some of their business in mid 2010s which included majority of their PFAS business into Chemours, along with a lot of the legal liability!

They’ve known since the late 50s / 60s about the hazardous aspects of this family of chemicals. reports buried and scientists within their organisations moved to other projects when they highlighted concerns

Huge levels of contamination (soil, groundwater, rivers and air) around their factories in the USA where these materials are typically manufactured. Additionally, sludges from their waste water treatment plants were land spread as a nutrient on farmland as a fertiliser!

Been found everywhere, Antarctic, Artic and on top of the himilayas.

The Guardian has a large respository of articles which link off to other reports from investigative journalists - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/pfas

By *ylonSlutTV/TS 4 weeks ago

Durham

"Their widespread use and lack of removal during cleaning does concern me. Since we left the EU, our environmental standards have declined, with the previous government cutting resources and testing, such as for water, being left to the cowboy water companies.

Producers should pay in arrears for environmental cleaning up. Landfill leaks are commonplace and the public pays in poor health and clean up.

This was all happening within the EU and still is happening.

I work in other EU countries a lot and they are also concerned.

Huge businesses and their money control it ."

Having worked in the waste industry you would be surprised how slap dash waste disposal is a lot of kicking the can down the road for generations in the future to deal with. Having said that the waste industry from the mid 90s onwards was a mile away from what it was. Before that they used to just dump waste in the sea or rivers or in the ground with no containment.

By *vonne5exMan 4 weeks ago

Doncaster

Makes you wonder how on average people are living longer.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 4 weeks ago

Central

"Makes you wonder how on average people are living longer."

The UK average lifespan had reduced, when I last saw it published, without Covids affect..

The progressive accumulation of such chemicals is concerning, as well as the untested effects of cocktails of multiple chemicals :-

By *uteboy26Man 4 weeks ago

Stamford (nearby)

Whilst I think leaving the EU was a colossal foot shoot this has nothing to do with leaving the EU…. And to try and blame water companies for industrial bad practice and consumers flushing PFAS and PFOA down the drain is ignorance in the extreme. The sewer system is designed for Pee, Pooh and Paper only. Anything else that ends up there, and subsequently in rivers is as a result of effectively using the sewer system as garbage disposal. If you don’t believe me, think how sanitary towels and wipes get there. If they were disposed off in refuse as they should be they would get to rivers via the sewer.

Durham

"Makes you wonder how on average people are living longer.

The UK average lifespan had reduced, when I last saw it published, without Covids affect..

The progressive accumulation of such chemicals is concerning, as well as the untested effects of cocktails of multiple chemicals :- "

Uk life expectancy has pretty much constantly risen since 1900. It basically flat lined between 2010 and 2020, probably due to austerity measures, then it dipped during covid. Life expectancy is now rising again so in a year or 2 life expectancy will be back to pre covid levels.

Peterborough

The progressive accumulation of such chemicals is concerning, as well as the untested effects of cocktails of multiple chemicals :-

Uk life expectancy has pretty much constantly risen since 1900. It basically flat lined between 2010 and 2020, probably due to austerity measures, then it dipped during covid. Life expectancy is now rising again so in a year or 2 life expectancy will be back to pre covid levels."

Obesity levels rising was a factor in life expectancy reduction.

Durham

Uk life expectancy has pretty much constantly risen since 1900. It basically flat lined between 2010 and 2020, probably due to austerity measures, then it dipped during covid. Life expectancy is now rising again so in a year or 2 life expectancy will be back to pre covid levels.

Obesity levels rising was a factor in life expectancy reduction. "

whilst obesity levels will be contributing, I don't think it is the main driver. Average UK weights have been increasing steadily since WW2. The average weight in UK is dropping slightly over the last few years. although the number of obese people is still increasing. The flat lining of life expectancy pretty much ties in with the introduction of austerity and the the dip in life expectancy and subsequent rise is tied to the beginning and end of the covid pandemic.

Peterborough

whilst obesity levels will be contributing, I don't think it is the main driver. Average UK weights have been increasing steadily since WW2. The average weight in UK is dropping slightly over the last few years. although the number of obese people is still increasing. The flat lining of life expectancy pretty much ties in with the introduction of austerity and the the dip in life expectancy and subsequent rise is tied to the beginning and end of the covid pandemic."

I'm basing it on the research I did for my dissertation a couple of years ago.

Durham

whilst obesity levels will be contributing, I don't think it is the main driver. Average UK weights have been increasing steadily since WW2. The average weight in UK is dropping slightly over the last few years. although the number of obese people is still increasing. The flat lining of life expectancy pretty much ties in with the introduction of austerity and the the dip in life expectancy and subsequent rise is tied to the beginning and end of the covid pandemic.

I'm basing it on the research I did for my dissertation a couple of years ago. "

Can understand why you may come to the conclusion. I presume you didn't have data from the covid years. If obesity was the driver how would you explain the flat lining of life expectancy 2010-2019 after pretty much constantly increasing life expectancy post WW2. People didn't suddenly get fat in 2010.

By *oxy jWoman 4 weeks ago

somerset

ive recently replace all my cookware that was non stick this knowlage needs to be more available

By *amdenfunMan 4 weeks ago

London

Is polyester considered a forever chemical? I’m any event, the micro particles are found everywhere, and it’s almost unavoidable.

But the principal natural material, cotton, is considered pretty bad for the environment too, largely because of the pesticides (unless organic), huge water consumption (even if organic) and carbon footprint.

So which is least bad?

Unlikely we can find all the clothes we need in viscose and the like or hemp.

Peterborough

I'm basing it on the research I did for my dissertation a couple of years ago.

Can understand why you may come to the conclusion. I presume you didn't have data from the covid years. If obesity was the driver how would you explain the flat lining of life expectancy 2010-2019 after pretty much constantly increasing life expectancy post WW2. People didn't suddenly get fat in 2010."

Didn't need other disease states data. Impacts of obesity on health and life expectancy was not a big part of the composition.

By *ackformore100Man 4 weeks ago

Tin town

"Currently watching countryfile (a first for me) on the subject of PFAS and the risk from human exposure.

I've been put off strawberries."

They'll have a tablet for it soon. Chatgpt told me

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 3 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Interestingly Massachusetts and Connecticut have both recently passed laws that turn out gear (PPE) has to be pfas free from I think 2027..

By *inkydong12Man 3 weeks ago

Chester

They insist on spraying crops with deadly chemicals. Even organic food is only 95% organic! Pesticides in particular round up by Monsanto is basically agent orange! Even fruit and Veg contains chemicals. Then they start genetically modifying food! I can’t watch country file anymore it’s propaganda used to push government agendas. We can’t provided anywhere near enough food in this country to sustain the population.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Durham

"They insist on spraying crops with deadly chemicals. Even organic food is only 95% organic! Pesticides in particular round up by Monsanto is basically agent orange! Even fruit and Veg contains chemicals. Then they start genetically modifying food! I can’t watch country file anymore it’s propaganda used to push government agendas. We can’t provided anywhere near enough food in this country to sustain the population. "

We haven't been self sufficient food wise in this country since 1800 and that was only because we couldn't import much food due the napaleonic wars.

By *younaughty2Man 3 weeks ago

preston

"Glyphosate is a killer that contains no fluorine whatsoever, meaning that it's not a PFA. Plus, glyphosate is quite easy to break down, and can't be considered a 'forever chemical'.

I meant to say "Glyphosate is a w-e-e-d killer ...", but the forum software filtered the word 'w-e-e-d' out for me."

Lawsuits in American about glyphosate if I remember correctly, still on shelves in all garden stores here though

By *ackformore100Man 2 weeks ago

Tin town

"They insist on spraying crops with deadly chemicals. Even organic food is only 95% organic! Pesticides in particular round up by Monsanto is basically agent orange! Even fruit and Veg contains chemicals. Then they start genetically modifying food! I can’t watch country file anymore it’s propaganda used to push government agendas. We can’t provided anywhere near enough food in this country to sustain the population.

We haven't been self sufficient food wise in this country since 1800 and that was only because we couldn't import much food due the napaleonic wars."

Self sufficiency isn't really the issue of the op though. Isn't it about toxins entering the food supply and harming us.?

By *imes_berksMan 2 weeks ago

Bracknell

"They insist on spraying crops with deadly chemicals. Even organic food is only 95% organic! Pesticides in particular round up by Monsanto is basically agent orange! Even fruit and Veg contains chemicals. Then they start genetically modifying food! I can’t watch country file anymore it’s propaganda used to push government agendas. We can’t provided anywhere near enough food in this country to sustain the population.

We haven't been self sufficient food wise in this country since 1800 and that was only because we couldn't import much food due the napaleonic wars.

Self sufficiency isn't really the issue of the op though. Isn't it about toxins entering the food supply and harming us.? "

I’m sure they were just answering the last sentence of the previous messsge

By *imes_berksMan 2 weeks ago

Bracknell

"They insist on spraying crops with deadly chemicals. Even organic food is only 95% organic! Pesticides in particular round up by Monsanto is basically agent orange! Even fruit and Veg contains chemicals. Then they start genetically modifying food! I can’t watch country file anymore it’s propaganda used to push government agendas. We can’t provided anywhere near enough food in this country to sustain the population. "

Shock horror. Fruit and veg contain chemicals. Pretty sure they are all 100% made up of chemicals.

By *ackformore100Man 2 weeks ago

Tin town

Self sufficiency isn't really the issue of the op though. Isn't it about toxins entering the food supply and harming us.?

I’m sure they were just answering the last sentence of the previous messsge "

Quite possibly. And I was just responding to their last sentence. It's a discussion thread. Isn't that how they work?

» Add a new message to this topic