FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Taste and Smell

Taste and Smell

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    12 weeks ago

Only gone & caught covid for 1st time, lost taste & smell - anyone know how long it takes to come back ta

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entakuruMan 12 weeks ago

Exeter

First time I had it I lost taste and smell, and it was a good three months before I could say 'give it ten minutes' to anyone about to use the smallest room after I'd dropped the kids off at the pool, so to speak. And even then it was about another month of being able to smell some days and not at all the next.

Tbh apart from the worry that the house could be ablaze or my pizza burning in the oven and not knowing, it wasn't nearly as bad as the second time I got it where I could still taste and smell but a lot of food and drinks I normally couldn't get enough of, became disgusting.

Frying onions and garlic, normally the start of a series of delicious cooking smells, mostly seemed like bad BO. Freshly roasted and ground coffee? Bin juice. Wine - vinegar. Most beers tasted sour, other than really fruity hoppy IPA type stuff, which still tasted OK (thankfully). Probably the worst, and I'm still not over it, is eggs, particularly the white bit (which shouldn't taste of anything) and actual chicken meat. Eggs are either 100pc fine or taste rotten, and I can't work out which ones are OK and which to avoid. Actual chicken is hit and miss as well. I used to roast a chicken once a week or so, I've roasted two since then (and it's been a couple of years at least) and both tasted 'off'. So now I'm only eating chicken if it's really heavily seasoned, ie piri piri or tandoori style, that's fine, but your classic roast chicken, previously a go-to low effort meal with scope for leftovers, bone stock etc is now off my shopping list.

By *hippy57Man 12 weeks ago

Chelmsford

I had it 18 months ago ,still no smell

By *reeSpiritElleWoman 11 weeks ago

Miles of beautiful golden sand, Dorset

It's been 3 years since my last bout of Covid, and my taste and smell still hasn't returned to 100%

By (user no longer on site) 11 weeks ago

Ours went for around a month in 2021 been fine since

By *exysoul888TV/TS 11 weeks ago

Newcastle

Mine went completely for a fortnight, then started to come back but in a weird way. Like I couldn't stand the smell of tap water. It had an awful metallic smell.

Back to normal after around 3 months

By *ools and the brainCouple 11 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Mrs had it 2020 and still has what I call" nose blindness" her sense of smell has definitely been affected.

By *ink vixenCouple 11 weeks ago

Medway

Less than ten days for me.

By *inky duo 100Couple 11 weeks ago

Lancaster

I've had COVID 3 times ( Mrs) and it's really affected my sense of smell somethings I just can't smell anymore I'm okay with strong smells like onions cooking, fabric conditioner but subtle smells not a chance .

Sounds imaginary to me

By *rsPricklePantsWoman 11 weeks ago

Room 237 at The Overlook Hotel, Suffolk

When I had COVID and lost taste and smell I was lucky it only lasted a few days but had dizziness that lasted months

By *eadingCouple1963Couple 11 weeks ago

Reading

"Sounds imaginary to me"

So you’re doubting OPs post are you?

By *I TwoCouple 11 weeks ago

all around

"Sounds imaginary to me"

Your friend?

By *izandpaulCouple 11 weeks ago

merseyside

We had a builder call to do some work.

Offered him a cup of tea, he said just hot water in a mug please.

Asked him if he used some flavoured tea bags as we had some of those too.

He said he lost his taste and smell of hot drinks since having Covid some years ago.

He was pleased as he doesn't have to suffer horrible weak tea any more.

He seemed to enjoy his hot water.

By (user no longer on site) OP    11 weeks ago

Thanks for the replies

Its been 2 weeks now & still nothing, hopefully it will come back sooner rather than later

By *erdyNymph89Woman 11 weeks ago

ELLESMERE PORT

I won't lie 3 years on I still feel funny about some meats - for me covid made meat taste rancid/off even tinned stuff and all sorts.

Now I just get a random aversion to some sort of meat for a day or day.

Seems to have affected us all differently

By *eebl6666Man 11 weeks ago

castlebar

"Only gone & caught covid for 1st time, lost taste & smell - anyone know how long it takes to come back ta"
my dad was an early case and still hasn't come back

By *usicmanxxxMan 11 weeks ago

local

I haven’t been able to smell things fully for years

If I can smell it it’s really strong or right under my nose

Sometimes it’s a blessing when you can’t smell

By *oewes69Man 11 weeks ago

wakefield

Around a week for me. Had in once and un vaxxed. Im sound now

By *lym4realCouple 11 weeks ago

plymouth

Mr4 had it and just about got his sense of smell fully back now ! so about 4 months !!!

By *ornLordMan 11 weeks ago

Wiltshire and London

"Sounds imaginary to me"

Yes, well, you're not the OP are you. I've just had a family member test positive for Covid, and suffering with it, and because of stupidity on the part of the 'covid isn't serious any more' brigade and the hoops you now have to jump through to get any medicine, there's a big chance that they'll have to cancel an urgent knee replacement op. So I'll refrain from posting my frank thoughts here.

By *hubbycheckerMan 11 weeks ago

Porstmouth

Had covid in 2020, although still not 100% with smells or taste certain things like onion I camt smell but things like quavers I can really strange

Reading

"Sounds imaginary to me

Yes, well, you're not the OP are you. I've just had a family member test positive for Covid, and suffering with it, and because of stupidity on the part of the 'covid isn't serious any more' brigade and the hoops you now have to jump through to get any medicine, there's a big chance that they'll have to cancel an urgent knee replacement op. So I'll refrain from posting my frank thoughts here."

Green Arrow him if you want a laugh

By *elbaCouple 11 weeks ago

Derby

Just shy of 3 years since I had Rona. My sense of smell is pretty much nonexistent, I get the odd whiff of things but that’s about it. My taste is pretty crap too, unless it’s a really strong flavour I can’t really taste much at all which kinda sucks.

Wiltshire and London

"Sounds imaginary to me

Yes, well, you're not the OP are you. I've just had a family member test positive for Covid, and suffering with it, and because of stupidity on the part of the 'covid isn't serious any more' brigade and the hoops you now have to jump through to get any medicine, there's a big chance that they'll have to cancel an urgent knee replacement op. So I'll refrain from posting my frank thoughts here.

Green Arrow him if you want a laugh "

Confirms what I already knew. He's a dick.

Reading

"Sounds imaginary to me

Green Arrow him if you want a laugh

Confirms what I already knew. He's a dick."

"Sounds imaginary to me

Yes, well, you're not the OP are you. I've just had a family member test positive for Covid, and suffering with it, and because of stupidity on the part of the 'covid isn't serious any more' brigade and the hoops you now have to jump through to get any medicine, there's a big chance that they'll have to cancel an urgent knee replacement op. So I'll refrain from posting my frank thoughts here."

sorry about the family member hopefully they get the op just cant work out why 1 the "covid isnt real brigade " would have anything to do with her getting the op or the hoops to get medicine? Im guessing the only reason reason they wouldnt have the op done is because they have symptoms?

By *punk n gushCouple 11 weeks ago

walmer

We had all the vaccinations and still had covid at least 3 times and lucky not lost sense of smell but had had a really dry mouths ever since getting it the first time

By *pa-LoverMan 11 weeks ago

Princes Risborough

"I haven’t been able to smell things fully for years

If I can smell it it’s really strong or right under my nose

Sometimes it’s a blessing when you can’t smell "

I've never had a sense of smell so I don't know. Can't smell flowers, Spring, perfume...the scent of a woman.

Wiltshire and London

"Sounds imaginary to me

Yes, well, you're not the OP are you. I've just had a family member test positive for Covid, and suffering with it, and because of stupidity on the part of the 'covid isn't serious any more' brigade and the hoops you now have to jump through to get any medicine, there's a big chance that they'll have to cancel an urgent knee replacement op. So I'll refrain from posting my frank thoughts here.sorry about the family member hopefully they get the op just cant work out why 1 the "covid isnt real brigade " would have anything to do with her getting the op or the hoops to get medicine? Im guessing the only reason reason they wouldnt have the op done is because they have symptoms? "

I refer to those who with a heavy cold decide neither to stay at home and keep it to themselves or to take a test to see whether it is something worse than a cold - a berk who turned up at a family do with those symptoms and then insisted on keeping windows closed because they were cold. Maybe just thoughtless, but fuelled by the implied government attitude that covid is no longer a thing.

And you can't have any operation within so many days of testing positive. Well, I'd be surprised...

By *obby3264Man 11 weeks ago

Cambridge

I’m still at 50% smell and taste from my first time I caught Covid 3 years ago. I lost full smell and taste for about 3 days I think.

"Sounds imaginary to me

Yes, well, you're not the OP are you. I've just had a family member test positive for Covid, and suffering with it, and because of stupidity on the part of the 'covid isn't serious any more' brigade and the hoops you now have to jump through to get any medicine, there's a big chance that they'll have to cancel an urgent knee replacement op. So I'll refrain from posting my frank thoughts here.sorry about the family member hopefully they get the op just cant work out why 1 the "covid isnt real brigade " would have anything to do with her getting the op or the hoops to get medicine? Im guessing the only reason reason they wouldnt have the op done is because they have symptoms?

I refer to those who with a heavy cold decide neither to stay at home and keep it to themselves or to take a test to see whether it is something worse than a cold - a berk who turned up at a family do with those symptoms and then insisted on keeping windows closed because they were cold. Maybe just thoughtless, but fuelled by the implied government attitude that covid is no longer a thing.

And you can't have any operation within so many days of testing positive. Well, I'd be surprised...

"

yep common sense went out the windows early 2020 when people needed telling how to act sensibly if they had cold/flu symptons and unfortunatly i dont think that sense ever came back for some lol

By *ister_EMan 11 weeks ago

Hayling Island

Green Peppers, Ice cream and Red Wine still have a faint fairy liquid taste about them. Lost my taste and smell completely when I got it Dec 2020.

My sense of smell and taste altered drastically for years. Recovery was incredibly slow and as yet nit complete.

Good luck

By *unglevipsCouple 11 weeks ago

Bunham-On-Sea

Had it 3 times and the last time was the worst by far. Felt like the most horrendous flu and it took smell and taste around 3 months to come back.

I said after the last time, I really don’t want to catch it again. Get well soon Op.

By *atnip make me purrWoman 10 weeks ago

Reading

Mine cane back quickly. Within a fortnight

» Add a new message to this topic