FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Manchester only treating Acute patients

Manchester only treating Acute patients

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, every single trust in Manchester has as of yesterday cancelled all non urgent treatment. In truth it’s probably a sign of things to come across the country in the coming weeks. We are as a city beyond the worst figures for admissions and deaths seen during this pandemic and numbers are still rising.

For all those about to jump on the ‘cancer deaths’ bandwagon... screening, chemo and surgery have been maintained.

Collectively we all need to wake up to how much pressure the NHS is under here, we all need to do our bit to keep the numbers down. We all need to realise just how close to the edge we are.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They are working on projected figures don't panic

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm sorry, OP. I wish you strength.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's awful isn't it. My brother who lives at the other end of the country has had an operation cancelled for the second time this week due to pressure on beds. He will eventually become an emergency .

I hope you're managing to keep well yourself physically and emotionally.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I also think that unless you or your family have been personally affected its easy to dismiss the trouble we're facing.

Manchester (she/her)

"I also think that unless you or your family have been personally affected its easy to dismiss the trouble we're facing."

Very much agree.

It's not just Manchester unfortunately. We have both had non clinically urgent but important hospital appointments cancelled.

We are now going on 9 months without any of the treatment that we normally get regularly.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Northern Ireland have people on trollies in the corridors as all beds are full.

"They are working on projected figures don't panic"

No they aren’t, we know where we are right now, we know Manchester’s current infection levels and we know where we will be in two weeks. That place is sadly beyond our capacity so we needed to act.

We are already caring at a 3-1 ratio, we are seeing deaths every day now and we are constantly taking more space and converting it to ad hoc critical care on a daily basis.

There’s no panic, just resignation to a grim reality where we may soon not have the resources to properly care for all. If that happens we’ll just have to do the best we can.

"They are working on projected figures don't panic

No they aren’t, we know where we are right now, we know Manchester’s current infection levels and we know where we will be in two weeks. That place is sadly beyond our capacity so we needed to act.

We are already caring at a 3-1 ratio, we are seeing deaths every day now and we are constantly taking more space and converting it to ad hoc critical care on a daily basis.

There’s no panic, just resignation to a grim reality where we may soon not have the resources to properly care for all. If that happens we’ll just have to do the best we can. "

The Nightingale hospitals have reopened and were not even used in the first lockdown and also check out Chris Wittys graphs he used in his presentation - projected figures & worse case scenarios.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"They are working on projected figures don't panic"

The lockdown was based on actual and projected figures. What is your source for your claim on the Manchester hospital figures?

Keep your spirits up Charli

The lockdown was based on actual and projected figures. What is your source for your claim on the Manchester hospital figures?

"

See above post. Am I allowed to post links on here?

See above post. Am I allowed to post links on here? "

Only if they are from a main stream media source. So like the BBC or The Guardian news ect...

Also YouTube, NSH and official government websites.

"I also think that unless you or your family have been personally affected its easy to dismiss the trouble we're facing."

Nearly all my family have had it,got it,in March my friend I think we're all going to get it, maybe he was right

Manchester (she/her)

Charli works in a hospital in Manchester.

"

Charli works in a hospital in Manchester."

I don't doubt that.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1356770/Coronavirus-lockdown-statistics-chris-whitty-patrick-vallance

Central

Yes, as others state. There's a difference between this 2nd wave England's lockdown and the issue that Charli has covered here, which is important to understand.

Yes, as others state. There's a difference between this 2nd wave England's lockdown and the issue that Charli has covered here, which is important to understand. "

Ok I understand but is every hospital in Manchester completely bursting with covid patients?? I'm guessing the Trust are using Chris Whittys worse case scenario figures regarding admissions and most hospitals are empty.

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, as others state. There's a difference between this 2nd wave England's lockdown and the issue that Charli has covered here, which is important to understand.

Ok I understand but is every hospital in Manchester completely bursting with covid patients?? I'm guessing the Trust are using Chris Whittys worse case scenario figures regarding admissions and most hospitals are empty."

Your guess is directly contradicted by what Charli says above.

And the only person suggesting that worst case scenario or the image Charli is suggesting is "all hospitals overwhelmed with Covid patients" is you.

Things can be beyond our capacity to cope long before we're in apocalyptic war movie territory.

By *ersnickety PantsWoman  over a year ago

Club Meets Only

Ok I understand but is every hospital in Manchester completely bursting with covid patients?? I'm guessing the Trust are using Chris Whittys worse case scenario figures regarding admissions and most hospitals are empty."

Maybe it's not the 'covid patients' per se but those who require the ICU, no hospital has 100's of IC beds, I read Blackpool only has 8! I don't imagine any hospital has a huge number of those anyway & if the numbers of people needing them rise too much there's a lot of people who will be in real triubke

Club Meets Only

Trouble*

Central

That's where we are better leaving it to those who have the data, as it's easy to make conflation between separate issues. The Whitty national lockdown projections are included in other threads. You could dig out other data for the hospital crisis in Greater Manchester.

Ok I understand but is every hospital in Manchester completely bursting with covid patients?? I'm guessing the Trust are using Chris Whittys worse case scenario figures regarding admissions and most hospitals are empty.

Maybe it's not the 'covid patients' per se but those who require the ICU, no hospital has 100's of IC beds, I read Blackpool only has 8! I don't imagine any hospital has a huge number of those anyway & if the numbers of people needing them rise too much there's a lot of people who will be in real triubke"

Good point.

Manchester (she/her)

Maybe it's not the 'covid patients' per se but those who require the ICU, no hospital has 100's of IC beds, I read Blackpool only has 8! I don't imagine any hospital has a huge number of those anyway & if the numbers of people needing them rise too much there's a lot of people who will be in real triubke"

Yes. I think some people need it to be like a zombie movie before they take it seriously.

No. Take Blackpool numbers. 8 ICU beds is normally enough. Because of the surge in patients, imagine that there are 12 people in Blackpool who'll need ICU care or they'll die. Including other conditions.

You or your relative are patient 11...

By *ungBlackTopMan  over a year ago

salford

"So, every single trust in Manchester has as of yesterday cancelled all non urgent treatment. In truth it’s probably a sign of things to come across the country in the coming weeks. We are as a city beyond the worst figures for admissions and deaths seen during this pandemic and numbers are still rising.

For all those about to jump on the ‘cancer deaths’ bandwagon... screening, chemo and surgery have been maintained.

Collectively we all need to wake up to how much pressure the NHS is under here, we all need to do our bit to keep the numbers down. We all need to realise just how close to the edge we are.

"

True words have never been spoken but this pandemic has shown how selfish humanity is.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

What part do you not understand of seeing how the number of people needing hospital admission has doubled, and doubled, and doubled over the last few weeks? Then looking at how many hospital spaces there are, how many doctors and nurses there are, and realising that the one does not fit into the other.

Charli is our eyes and ears on the ground floor of what is going on. If she says the system is buggered by trying to keep alive covid patients, then I will believe her every time over the musings of someone sitting at home watching covid denier youtube bullshit.

Maybe it's not the 'covid patients' per se but those who require the ICU, no hospital has 100's of IC beds, I read Blackpool only has 8! I don't imagine any hospital has a huge number of those anyway & if the numbers of people needing them rise too much there's a lot of people who will be in real triubke

Yes. I think some people need it to be like a zombie movie before they take it seriously.

No. Take Blackpool numbers. 8 ICU beds is normally enough. Because of the surge in patients, imagine that there are 12 people in Blackpool who'll need ICU care or they'll die. Including other conditions.

You or your relative are patient 11..."

Isn't this the point of the Nightingale hospitals??

Club Meets Only

Isn't this the point of the Nightingale hospitals??"

I think the nightingale are a bit of a moot point, there aren't enough staff for them from what I've gathered. I could be wrong & I'm sure someone will correct me if I am

What part do you not understand of seeing how the number of people needing hospital admission has doubled, and doubled, and doubled over the last few weeks? Then looking at how many hospital spaces there are, how many doctors and nurses there are, and realising that the one does not fit into the other.

Charli is our eyes and ears on the ground floor of what is going on. If she says the system is buggered by trying to keep alive covid patients, then I will believe her every time over the musings of someone sitting at home watching covid denier youtube bullshit."

What is happening in Manchester is not necessarily what is also happening in Birmingham plus no need to get rude.

Club Meets Only

You or your relative are patient 11..."

I think maybe that's the point folk aren't getting or understanding, it's not so much the hospital beds but the specialist beds & treatment. The more they are needed the more staff, care etc is taken away from those who aren't in such a dire need of that makes sense?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Birmingham have also stopped elective surgeries, they know what's coming..

By *iobhan123Woman  over a year ago

Deal

"So, every single trust in Manchester has as of yesterday cancelled all non urgent treatment. In truth it’s probably a sign of things to come across the country in the coming weeks. We are as a city beyond the worst figures for admissions and deaths seen during this pandemic and numbers are still rising.

"

Stay safe, know you are at the sharp end, we are seeing the impact of this in primary care sadly

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Very well said not even meny could do 2 min silence are just all self centred.

By *dsindyTV/TS  over a year ago

East Lancashire

"I think the nightingale are a bit of a moot point, there aren't enough staff for them from what I've gathered. I could be wrong & I'm sure someone will correct me if I am"

No,you are correct. There are insufficient staff to run the Nightingales and keep our mainstream NHS hospitals fully staffed.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Don't be rude to each other. Respectful discussion is good and often educational for a lot of us

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

The nightingale hospitals are fine - as long as you are happy with being dumped in a bed installed in a conference/exhibition centre and left with nobody looking after your medical needs. Just having beds to put people in is useless without the numbers of competent medical staff to look after those patients.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

How many members of NHS staff does it take to look after 1 ICU patient ?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I also think that unless you or your family have been personally affected its easy to dismiss the trouble we're facing.

Very well said not even meny could do 2 min silence are just all self centred."

We're all self centred to a degree. Turning on each other is the last thing we need

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Are we doing the Nightingale thing again

Manchester (she/her)

They didn't have enough staff for the first wave to make as much use of them.

And Birmingham, London, etc - the cases are rising there too. It's not as dire there... yet. (But I notice the government maps have changed again so that "good" is now 100 cases per 100k. I remember ancient history of the summer when 50/100k was dire)

Manchester (she/her)

Isn't this the point of the Nightingale hospitals??

Are we doing the Nightingale thing again"

We are.

But when they were short staffed at the beginning of the crisis... and the crisis has gone on, and some staff haven't returned, and staff are falling ill...

ICU is much more than just a bed and some equipment. It requires intensive medical attention. That's kind of the point.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

So why haven’t they dragged in the army medical corp? Not like we are at war anywhere & they are busy themselves is it..

S

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"So why haven’t they dragged in the army medical corp? Not like we are at war anywhere & they are busy themselves is it..

S"

Because they're not trained to treat complex respiratory and cardiovascular intensive care patients. Their bread and butter is trauma.

By *dsindyTV/TS  over a year ago

East Lancashire

"So why haven’t they dragged in the army medical corp? Not like we are at war anywhere & they are busy themselves is it..

S

Because they're not trained to treat complex respiratory and cardiovascular intensive care patients. Their bread and butter is trauma. "

And their numbers are limited in any case.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

S

Because they're not trained to treat complex respiratory and cardiovascular intensive care patients. Their bread and butter is trauma. "

This..

We used to have dedicated military hospitals who worked alongside the civilian ones but they got binned..

"

Well said

S"

I love this kind of headline thinking... here’s a thought, the TA recruits more heavily from the ranks of the NHS than all other areas combined.

Over 80% of the RAMC and RAHC surgeons, doctors and about 30% of their nurses are Territorials.

In short, their specialist staff are mainly already deployed by the NHS

X

"

Are we doing the Nightingale thing again"

The nightingale has been open for 2 weeks, they are treating non covid patients

By *hocksandmissusCouple  over a year ago

Chester-ish

We have a Rainbow hospital by us which is now being staffed by very brave retired doctors and nurses along side currant NHS staff. These people are there to help take the pressure off our NHS doing all the every day things so peoples lives can go on as normal as possible getting the best care it is possible to give. Lets not bicker on how many beds there is or isn't lets be grateful we have people out there that selfishly will cover our selfish asses xxxxx

West Wales

S

I love this kind of headline thinking... here’s a thought, the TA recruits more heavily from the ranks of the NHS than all other areas combined.

Over 80% of the RAMC and RAHC surgeons, doctors and about 30% of their nurses are Territorials.

In short, their specialist staff are mainly already deployed by the NHS

X"

Forward thinking not their strong suit then whether Covid or a conflict, one body can’t be in two places at once.

:-/

S

West Wales

"We have a Rainbow hospital by us which is now being staffed by very brave retired doctors and nurses along side currant NHS staff. These people are there to help take the pressure off our NHS doing all the every day things so peoples lives can go on as normal as possible getting the best care it is possible to give. Lets not bicker on how many beds there is or isn't lets be grateful we have people out there that selfishly will cover our selfish asses xxxxx"

S

» Add a new message to this topic