FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > parallel between masks and smoking ban

parallel between masks and smoking ban

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

why do you think there has been more unwillingness to wear masks than to not smoke indoors since 2007..always surprised me how diligently ardent smokers complied and still do... even in the roughest most local of pubs

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

[Removed by poster at 11/10/20 12:49:33]

Not quite sure that the two could be compared really.

After all nobody at all could smoke in a public indoor space. And smoking deaths also couldn't be argued with. And it ONLY applied to smokers. This applies to everyone.

Of course most of us still have to run through the carcinogenic toxins every time we walk through a front doorway of a high street shop etc.

yes but it was still an arbitury law centred on public health impeding on people's everyday lives that people, even out and out louts obeyed.

At the time some smoking organisations did protest but it was a tiny proportion. Most of the populace decided to follow suit... why not masks?

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I think a lot of smokers understood that many non smokers didn't like breathing in second hand smoke and a lot of smokers also understood the health implications of their habit.

Being asked to smoke outdoors was a much lesser restriction on civil liberty than being forced to wear a restrictive face covering (on the basis of inconclusive science).

In addition, there were a couple of benefits to smoking outdoors. Smoking areas become more communal areas where it was easier to converse with others for example

"yes but it was still an arbitury law centred on public health impeding on people's everyday lives that people, even out and out louts obeyed.

At the time some smoking organisations did protest but it was a tiny proportion. Most of the populace decided to follow suit... why not masks? "

I don't think the smoking law was at all Arbitrary. It was tightly focused on a specific set of facts and people that smoke, and nobody in their right mind could argue the evidence collected from as far back as the 1940's.

COVID-19 evidence has only been collected from February/March this year. Just about everybody is still arguing the facts. So the Law/s for COVID-19 could be argued as being 'arbitrary ATM'. In-disputable facts will come, like smoking death facts did, in the longer-term.

But most importantly this affects everybody all at once currently. For the non-smokers back then they were already on a broad band-wagon of a ban.

Just to add - We can see a cigarette in anothers hand and we can smell it from a very long distance - Nobody can see a COVID carrier and even if you hear someone coughing badly you couldn't be sure.

So if you are stood in a bar with one or the other the one with the cigarette is obviously the one who would, without doubt, be put onto the street.

it was just people's attitudes i was interested in. i work in security and i have to ask people to wear masks... was easier to ask people to smoke outside by miles.. abd that was something people had done for a hundred years

"it was just people's attitudes i was interested in. i work in security and i have to ask people to wear masks... was easier to ask people to smoke outside by miles.. abd that was something people had done for a hundred years "

All just probably because there is a much higher inconvenience factor and the 'truth' about covid isn't really established yet. The truth about smoking was for many many years before.

» Add a new message to this topic