FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > 770 Students Test Positive

770 Students Test Positive

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

You could not make this one up. Just heard on the news 779 students in a university in North umbria have tested positive fie Covid. Although only 79 odd are showing symptoms. When will the young learn to take this seriously. Mind you sone adults are not much better

Your thoughts on this one please

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

" Your thoughts on this one please

"

Subject line 770 - message body 779 - did the number increase by 9 between typing the subject and the message?

By *ovelybumCouple  over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

Ffs I feel for the young generation. All blame on them now.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Ffs I feel for the young generation. All blame on them now. "

Thats the point, shift blame to areas through local lockdowns. "Harsher measures" because the inhabitants were failing.

To students by pathologically blaming the younger age groups in every news report you can find.

Everybody will be blamed in this but the Government.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"You could not make this one up. Just heard on the news 779 students in a university in North umbria have tested positive fie Covid. Although only 79 odd are showing symptoms. When will the young learn to take this seriously. Mind you sone adults are not much better

"

Been done to death. Give them a break. Or look at any of the 20 other threads on it.

Some unis are testing all students first day back and then again a week later.

Humans are imperfect.

Here's a thought though.... Students away from home.... Living, studying, working, playing with other students..Infecting other students (and not family) for 10 weeks before returning home all clear and possibly with level of acquired immunity.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"You could not make this one up. Just heard on the news 779 students in a university in North umbria have tested positive fie Covid. Although only 79 odd are showing symptoms. When will the young learn to take this seriously. Mind you sone adults are not much better

"

Why the surprise?

Earlier in the pandemic the cases were high on cruise ships etc and their demographic is not exactly the same as the students your referring to..

By *ugRollersCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

I think they should use them as test subjects, how can they all have it at the same time. I doubt they were all at the same party, all aren’t sleeping together so how can they all test positive at once? Part of me wonders if the tests aren’t 100% and there are faulty batches ... or that something is being missed and the way people are getting it isn’t through droplets but something else .... like the drinking water for example ... but who knows I’m not a scientist ... they didn’t ask for Covid so stop blaming the students ....

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Been done to death. Give them a break. Or look at any of the 20 other threads on it.

Some unis are testing all students first day back and then again a week later.

Humans are imperfect.

Here's a thought though.... Students away from home.... Living, studying, working, playing with other students..Infecting other students (and not family) for 10 weeks before returning home all clear and possibly with level of acquired immunity.

"

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

We drove through Liverpool John Moores Uni' a few times last week and the Campus is very very quiet - normally it's a bustling vibrant area - The centre of the City had very few Students in too. Seems to me that the majority were simply staying in their residential apartments between Lectures.

So sad that Uni' for many will not be remembered for what it should be.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

newcastle nightlife plus freshers week.... we all saw this one coming a mile off!!!

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"We drove through Liverpool John Moores Uni' a few times last week and the Campus is very very quiet - normally it's a bustling vibrant area - The centre of the City had very few Students in too. Seems to me that the majority were simply staying in their residential apartments between Lectures.

"

I believe LJMU went 100% online till Christmas so many students might have just gone home. I'm sure we had a notice at work about the change of approach from LJMU.

By *ainbow_RoadWoman  over a year ago

Brighton

Because bunging a whole load of people, regardless of age, from all over the country into a confined space isnt a recipie for spread right?

It's not their fault.

There are many students still there . . . just not as many as there normally is.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

My daughter is doing a PhD at Manchester University. She lives with her partner, not in halls. She hasn't been into the University since March. Neither has she been in a pub or restaurant or anyone else's house. She hasn't hugged me, or even touched ny hand. A week ago she tested positive. Don't assume it is always a student's own fault if they catch Covid19.

"My daughter is doing a PhD at Manchester University. She lives with her partner, not in halls. She hasn't been into the University since March. Neither has she been in a pub or restaurant or anyone else's house. She hasn't hugged me, or even touched ny hand. A week ago she tested positive. Don't assume it is always a student's own fault if they catch Covid19. "

Agreed. There are a million ways to catch it.

Handle money. Handle Goods in a shop. Handle a handle on a Bus. Use your Card in an ATM. Touch a million surfaces in any number of places the list is endless.

North West

"There are many students still there . . . just not as many as there normally is."

Obviously in the same area, you've got the students at Hope (who made lots of extra offers this year) and Uni of Liverpool, both of whom are still doing some in person teaching, whilst LJMU have gone online only for now. Who knows.

"There are many students still there . . . just not as many as there normally is.

Obviously in the same area, you've got the students at Hope (who made lots of extra offers this year) and Uni of Liverpool, both of whom are still doing some in person teaching, whilst LJMU have gone online only for now. Who knows. "

Quite a few course are still there - for example second year Vets - Chemistry - Trop Med - and a plethora of others. Many course have to have the physical hands-on input of teaching.

North West

"There are many students still there . . . just not as many as there normally is.

Obviously in the same area, you've got the students at Hope (who made lots of extra offers this year) and Uni of Liverpool, both of whom are still doing some in person teaching, whilst LJMU have gone online only for now. Who knows.

Quite a few course are still there - for example second year Vets - Chemistry - Trop Med - and a plethora of others. Many course have to have the physical hands-on input of teaching."

I know, but that's more a Uni of Liverpool set of courses.The university has now moved the majority of face to face teaching online as a response to the latest COVID restrictions. There are exceptions for some courses - vets, tropical medicine etc. Uni of L and Hope are still on a hybrid delivery model.

This is from the website of LJMU today: "The university has now moved the majority of face to face teaching online as a response to the latest COVID restrictions. There are exceptions for some courses..."

I'd imagine the likes of the LJMU paramedic and physio courses are getting some in person delivery, but it's very tiny student numbers compared to the overall.

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

"

Did they have a choice of not going to Uni and still progressing with their education?

Maybe they're (gov) reverting back to herd immunity, under the radar, and want a lot of younger people in large groups isolated from older family members so that the virus can go through the least effected like a dose of salts...

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We need to stop blaming each other and start pulling together on this.

We could begin by not insisting that it's OK for students to travel all over the country and go ahead with their studies while living in shared accommodation, then blaming them when they pick up the virus.

Pointing the finger isn't going to help anybody.

here

newcastle nightlife plus freshers week.... we all saw this one coming a mile off!!!"

Durham next...

City centre is crammed with them

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/virus/1072343

Squash a load of young people in very confined spaces with people they don't know and possibly dont get on together and you'll have people mixing and travelling.

Do this after their brothers and sisters have gone back to schools, without classrooms having reduced class sizes and it's a predictable outcome.

If they are given classes over the Internet, expected to stay all day and night in confined space, they will go out, even if pubs shut at 10.

Quite a few course are still there - for example second year Vets - Chemistry - Trop Med - and a plethora of others. Many course have to have the physical hands-on input of teaching.

I know, but that's more a Uni of Liverpool set of courses.The university has now moved the majority of face to face teaching online as a response to the latest COVID restrictions. There are exceptions for some courses - vets, tropical medicine etc. Uni of L and Hope are still on a hybrid delivery model.

This is from the website of LJMU today: "The university has now moved the majority of face to face teaching online as a response to the latest COVID restrictions. There are exceptions for some courses..."

I'd imagine the likes of the LJMU paramedic and physio courses are getting some in person delivery, but it's very tiny student numbers compared to the overall. "

And yet, three weeks ago, Liv Uni told students (my child included) they were expected to be in Liverpool and should move into or seek accommodation. This is the bit that's made me mad. Money grabbing.

Central

Research shows that younger people have been as good as other age groups, in some cases better than older people, at sticking to the rules.

Isolated from home and friends they will naturally seek out others to support each other and become friends. It's a very stressful time and they may have been mislead earlier in the year, when many were forced to accept places at uni.

Why blame the young students, of which I am one. Most universities, including the one I attend cannot deal with the amount of students coming through their doors. We didn’t want to go back until all this was over but was kindly informed that we had to if we wanted to continue with our studies and achieve the grades needed. Ohhh and we’re still paying rent to landlords even though most haven’t been there during lockdown!

North West

Did they have a choice of not going to Uni and still progressing with their education?

Maybe they're (gov) reverting back to herd immunity, under the radar, and want a lot of younger people in large groups isolated from older family members so that the virus can go through the least effected like a dose of salts... "

There wasn't a great deal of choice for school leavers aged 18 this year:

1) Covid era uni

2) Find a job (dead easy right now?!)

3) Get a work based apprenticeship (see point 2 re: get a job).

4) Take a gap year (travel abroad discouraged/impossible)

5) Do nothing for a year and parents support them.

I feel very sorry for the young people of today. All the bashing is coming from adults who already got their education, who have work experience behind them. It's much easier to get a job or start on a different career path if you already have qualifications and experience. If you have only your A levels/GCSEs and only limited or no work experience, you are obviously going to be bottom of the employment list AND young people under 25 cannot access state benefits in the same amounts/ways. Parents cannot all afford to support their adult offspring indefinitely.

Our son went to uni but he's getting two days education a week. One day online and one day in person. That's it. That was NOT advertised before he started - all it said was there would be blended learning in operation.

North West

I'd imagine the likes of the LJMU paramedic and physio courses are getting some in person delivery, but it's very tiny student numbers compared to the overall.

And yet, three weeks ago, Liv Uni told students (my child included) they were expected to be in Liverpool and should move into or seek accommodation. This is the bit that's made me mad. Money grabbing. "

Liv Uni are still doing hybrid online/in person, but don't know how much in person. It's John Moores that has almost entirely ditched F2F teaching till Christmas. All the unis took extra students this year too, due to the A level fiasco. Liverpool Hope have done VERY well out of it too.

"We need to stop blaming each other and start pulling together on this.

We could begin by not insisting that it's OK for students to travel all over the country and go ahead with their studies while living in shared accommodation, then blaming them when they pick up the virus.

"

Voice of reason.

Leeds

These students have had a terrible year. No school since March. No exams. No prom. No leavers assembly. Stress with the results algorithm. Now they are in quarantine for two weeks with the prospect of indefinite online tuition.

By *entleman JackMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

Serious propaganda and utter nonsense! Fake news and manipulation of the masses with scare stories!

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

Too much testing..... that’s the problem....

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"

The media doesn't help. When they show Liverpool town centre at closing time, seeing lots of people in close proximity to each other. Or any other university city, with people sitting in gardens in groups bigger than 6. Due to the camera lens, the groups could be spaced out buy it doesn't look like it.

They are starting the blame culture

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

The media doesn't help. When they show Liverpool town centre at closing time, seeing lots of people in close proximity to each other. Or any other university city, with people sitting in gardens in groups bigger than 6. Due to the camera lens, the groups could be spaced out buy it doesn't look like it.

They are starting the blame culture"

The blame culture was alive and well ages ago.

I think it helps to step back and question what we're shown and told and indulge ourselves with a little independent thinking

here

"These students have had a terrible year. No school since March. No exams. No prom. No leavers assembly. Stress with the results algorithm. Now they are in quarantine for two weeks with the prospect of indefinite online tuition. "

Get the violins out, poor buggers

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

newcastle nightlife plus freshers week.... we all saw this one coming a mile off!!!"

more than a mile off.a blind man and his dog could have seen it coming.pity our inept government couldn't

durham

"

I mentioned all this yesterday on another thread under students,

And yet, three weeks ago, Liv Uni told students (my child included) they were expected to be in Liverpool and should move into or seek accommodation. This is the bit that's made me mad. Money grabbing.

Liv Uni are still doing hybrid online/in person, but don't know how much in person. It's John Moores that has almost entirely ditched F2F teaching till Christmas. All the unis took extra students this year too, due to the A level fiasco. Liverpool Hope have done VERY well out of it too. "

In my child's case, one hour dissertation meeting a fortnight will be F2F, everything else online. She could have commuted in from home for that meeting.

"These students have had a terrible year. No school since March. No exams. No prom. No leavers assembly. Stress with the results algorithm. Now they are in quarantine for two weeks with the prospect of indefinite online tuition. "

we’ve all had a terrible year with lockdowns and furlough/ lost jobs and gone working/ isolation or trying to home school and uncertainty and stress

like it or not these students have left school and are now part of the “adult world” , they can’t be shielded from the situation like they are kids and they need to find a way to work through it the same as the rest of us ... that includes giving up some socialising for the good of their education and families

durham

Putting local residents in lockdown then let students, run amok. Which idiot put this joke into practice. Mr. Hancock. As, Alan sugar would say... Your fired

North West

Liv Uni are still doing hybrid online/in person, but don't know how much in person. It's John Moores that has almost entirely ditched F2F teaching till Christmas. All the unis took extra students this year too, due to the A level fiasco. Liverpool Hope have done VERY well out of it too.

In my child's case, one hour dissertation meeting a fortnight will be F2F, everything else online. She could have commuted in from home for that meeting. "

Its not good enough! We are doing 2hrs per module, per week F2F out of 6hrs timetabled per module. Our students do 4 modules so they have 8hrs min of F2F time now and they are all international students who have travelled to Manchester. We have a super duper Covid secure teaching facility, scrupulous rules and providing masks, hand gel, individual portable teaching items for all staff, individual home rooms for student groups to minimise mixing (teachers move, not the students). All "handouts" are now electronic, same with any work to be handed in - done via online VLE. Students bring their own laptop to class (a stipulation before they enrolled was to have a laptop). If we can do it, others can too. It's been a total ball ache to plan and implement, actually it nearly drove me to a nervous breakdown, but the students are happy and staff feel as safe as they can be, so I feel the effort has been worth it.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Am I being a bit think here?

Universities up and down the country have gone back this week and cases have gone up.

What exactly did people think was gonna happen?

"Am I being a bit think here?

Universities up and down the country have gone back this week and cases have gone up.

What exactly did people think was gonna happen?"

A bit 'THINK' ? Maybe.

They haven't gone up just because students went back.

liverpool

"They haven't gone up just because students went back."

I'd say it was a big factor

Even if they would have all followed the rules to a t,the simple logicists between having no students and 1000's meant a spike was inevitable?

Surely

[Removed by poster at 03/10/20 17:20:45]

"They haven't gone up just because students went back.

I'd say it was a big factor

Even if they would have all followed the rules to a t,the simple logicists between having no students and 1000's meant a spike was inevitable?

Surely "

Like everything: The whole is only the sum of all its individual parts. And there are many many parts. All stratified by the labels we give them - Student - Factory Worker - Pub Goer - etc etc.

Most 'it's them not us' responses come from the politics you feel, from which facts you believe to be true and which you just to choose blatantly ignore.

Tin town

What exactly did people think was gonna happen?"

I think the issue is the rush to point the finger of ignorant blame at someone / anyone... For no good reason other than they can. Even people who clearly have very little knowledge or understanding of the tertiary education process... The fact that it's a journey that starts 12 months prior to start date, the fact unis have made false promises but forced students into a corner, the fact 1st years accomodation is designed to be communal. It's got very little to do with socialising, it's got more to do with the living arrangements and the broken promises of the unis just to grab the money. There's no easy answer but ignorantly ranting at uni students just because you can is directing your ire at the wrong place.

And for folks whining about living near students and their shocking behaviours... Its a pretty good bet the uni was there long before you lived there...

"

University in Newcastle ffs.

liverpool

I think the issue is the rush to point the finger of ignorant blame at someone / anyone... For no good reason other than they can. Even people who clearly have very little knowledge or understanding of the tertiary education process... The fact that it's a journey that starts 12 months prior to start date, the fact unis have made false promises but forced students into a corner, the fact 1st years accomodation is designed to be communal. It's got very little to do with socialising, it's got more to do with the living arrangements and the broken promises of the unis just to grab the money. There's no easy answer but ignorantly ranting at uni students just because you can is directing your ire at the wrong place.

And for folks whining about living near students and their shocking behaviours... Its a pretty good bet the uni was there long before you lived there... "

I think people just like having someone to blame.

It doesnt take much rational thought so its easily done.

Its baffling where they get their lead from.

By *ownhouseTwosomeCouple  over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"We drove through Liverpool John Moores Uni' a few times last week and the Campus is very very quiet - normally it's a bustling vibrant area - The centre of the City had very few Students in too. Seems to me that the majority were simply staying in their residential apartments between Lectures.

"

Awww you should have said you were in Liverpool, I would have met you for a socially distanced coffee!! Lol Vic xx

Awww you should have said you were in Liverpool, I would have met you for a socially distanced coffee!! Lol Vic xx"

We will next time - we get there quite often actually.

And for folks whining about living near students and their shocking behaviours... Its a pretty good bet the uni was there long before you lived there... "

i dont feel amy blame toward students ... at the moment the only “harm” caused is a higher number of cases mostly in their own demographic

my opinion is on what happens next... and i think they need to be adult enough to realise behaviour will need to change and sacrifices made for the numbers to come back down before they should be mixing both with other students on campus/ in accommodation and freely in public again

here

"

Citta di Castello in North Umbria is a bit more glamorous though

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

And for folks whining about living near students and their shocking behaviours... Its a pretty good bet the uni was there long before you lived there...

i dont feel amy blame toward students ... at the moment the only “harm” caused is a higher number of cases mostly in their own demographic

my opinion is on what happens next... and i think they need to be adult enough to realise behaviour will need to change and sacrifices made for the numbers to come back down before they should be mixing both with other students on campus/ in accommodation and freely in public again "

I say let them mix with other students. Then we can get herd immunity in the student population and they can get back to lectures.

my opinion is on what happens next... and i think they need to be adult enough to realise behaviour will need to change and sacrifices made for the numbers to come back down before they should be mixing both with other students on campus/ in accommodation and freely in public again

I say let them mix with other students. Then we can get herd immunity in the student population and they can get back to lectures."

yeah probably i was meaning if they are mixing with students (by nature of halls they cant avoid) and cases amongst students is high then they shouldnt also be freely mixing with the public ... not that they should avoid both

the problem is that it cant be policed and relies on a sense of personal responsibility that the wider population have shown isnt common place at the moment

here

"They haven't gone up just because students went back."

Do you think if students had remained in their home location would those places be experiencing increased infections ?

Tin town

my opinion is on what happens next... and i think they need to be adult enough to realise behaviour will need to change and sacrifices made for the numbers to come back down before they should be mixing both with other students on campus/ in accommodation and freely in public again "

Spot on... Behaviour changes... But I'd say not only limited to students... All of us need to make changes...consistently, and if we do, we will all deal with this situation a lot better, a lot faster.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

I say let them mix with other students. Then we can get herd immunity in the student population and they can get back to lectures."

Obviously they then couldn't go home or mix with the rest of the population. Obviously the death rate for anyone that age is fairly low but it the effects of long covid that would make your plan would a none starter. Also what about mature students and lecturers and people that work there. A university is not just under graduates. How long would it take to achieve herd immunity. Depending on how they mixed and how long immunity lasts, immunity is generally stronger and more long lasting in people who are very ill. My guess it would take 2 or 3 years to get a uni population to get 70% immunity which the estimate of herd immunity.

Do you think if students had remained in their home location would those places be experiencing increased infections ?

"

By degree. Yes.

here

By degree. Yes. "

I agree.

[Removed by poster at 03/10/20 18:42:08]

Tin town

"

Impossible to say. But given the extremely short timescales between them arriving at uni and infection numbers increasing, it is highly likely that many students had it before attending uni. So had they not gone to uni last week, they would have passed it around in their home locations...but not been tested or counted.

By degree. Yes.

I agree."

lol

here

By degree. Yes.

I agree.

lol"

By *erkswankerMan  over a year ago

Berkshire

It basically comes down to the government and universities wanting students on campus because that's how they will make their money out of them, they're all walking piggy banks. It was fucking obvious this would send numbers of cases up but as they always show, the government cares more about money than lives.

And for the middle aged men blaming students for everything,lots of the students will have left home for the first time and it can be a scary experience for some, let alone if you're stuck 200 miles from your family with covid. I know they are all "snowflakes", but not everyone has the experience of working down a pit at 14 whilst raising 3 kids or whatever you had to do back in the day haha

liverpool

By degree. Yes. "

So why didn't the infections go up previously.

The stats shoot up when the students return and its nothing to do with them going back

Utterly bizarre.

Tin town

"It basically comes down to the government and universities wanting students on campus because that's how they will make their money out of them, they're all walking piggy banks. It was fucking obvious this would send numbers of cases up but as they always show, the government cares more about money than lives.

And for the middle aged men blaming students for everything,lots of the students will have left home for the first time and it can be a scary experience for some, let alone if you're stuck 200 miles from your family with covid. I know they are all "snowflakes", but not everyone has the experience of working down a pit at 14 whilst raising 3 kids or whatever you had to do back in the day haha"

What money do the govt get from students going to study at university?

By degree. Yes.

The stats shoot up when the students return and its nothing to do with them going back

Utterly bizarre."

given so many of them are asymptomatic i think the poster that said that at least some probably had it at home but wouldnt have been tested there probably has a fair point

makes you wonder how many asymptomatic school kids there are and are we over panicking when we isolated bubbles of kids because half the other bubbles might have it anyway

liverpool

"It basically comes down to the government and universities wanting students on campus because that's how they will make their money out of them, they're all walking piggy banks. It was fucking obvious this would send numbers of cases up but as they always show, the government cares more about money than lives.

And for the middle aged men blaming students for everything,lots of the students will have left home for the first time and it can be a scary experience for some, let alone if you're stuck 200 miles from your family with covid. I know they are all "snowflakes", but not everyone has the experience of working down a pit at 14 whilst raising 3 kids or whatever you had to do back in the day haha

What money do the govt get from students going to study at university? "

Tuition fees (indirectly)

Student grants

liverpool

By degree. Yes.

Utterly bizarre.

given so many of them are asymptomatic i think the poster that said that at least some probably had it at home but wouldnt have been tested there probably has a fair point

makes you wonder how many asymptomatic school kids there are and are we over panicking when we isolated bubbles of kids because half the other bubbles might have it anyway "

They probably did but surely it stands to reason when students returned there would be a spike?

When schools returned ,the same thing happened.

By *alphy187Man  over a year ago

cambridge

Totally agree majority of students are responsible, being blamed for everything, however events like the large 100 plus gathering/party police had to break up at Coventry Uni are totally unacceptable. Universities should invoke two strike rule, get caught at more than one gathering over 25 and get thrown out. It's the only way the irresponsible will learn

North West

"Totally agree majority of students are responsible, being blamed for everything, however events like the large 100 plus gathering/party police had to break up at Coventry Uni are totally unacceptable. Universities should invoke two strike rule, get caught at more than one gathering over 25 and get thrown out. It's the only way the irresponsible will learn"

Unis ARE. They are also locking massive numbers of students into halls who have not been proven to have been in close contact and who, according to the NHS rules, do not need to isolate. At Edinburgh, students who are being forcibly locked in are also not having supplies delivered in a timely fashion yet cannot leave to get food etc. It's on a par with China nailing doors shut on whole apartment blocks!

liverpool

"Totally agree majority of students are responsible, being blamed for everything, however events like the large 100 plus gathering/party police had to break up at Coventry Uni are totally unacceptable. Universities should invoke two strike rule, get caught at more than one gathering over 25 and get thrown out. It's the only way the irresponsible will learn

Unis ARE. They are also locking massive numbers of students into halls who have not been proven to have been in close contact and who, according to the NHS rules, do not need to isolate. At Edinburgh, students who are being forcibly locked in are also not having supplies delivered in a timely fashion yet cannot leave to get food etc. It's on a par with China nailing doors shut on whole apartment blocks! "

People have to give lectures to someone

durham

The lecturers Union are going to have, a, vote soon. They want to strike over this outbreak at the university

"The lecturers Union are going to have, a, vote soon. They want to strike over this outbreak at the university "

why? what does that achieve

By *evoncream2017Couple  over a year ago

exeter

They wanted the residential and tuition fees

They have security guards everywhere ( how much does that cost )

Easily could have done first term from home

Get the students in, take the money then blame them

Tin town

"The lecturers Union are going to have, a, vote soon. They want to strike over this outbreak at the university "

Yeah like they were on strike for about 6 weeks last year... The missed material of which they aren't allowed to be examined on. Add that to the lack of student support since March and the students have had about 14 weeks of academic work in a year. For 9k.... Nice work.

Tin town

Student grants "

Come on don't be silly. Student grants from who and to who? Tuition fees go to the uni.

Tin town

"Totally agree majority of students are responsible, being blamed for everything, however events like the large 100 plus gathering/party police had to break up at Coventry Uni are totally unacceptable. Universities should invoke two strike rule, get caught at more than one gathering over 25 and get thrown out. It's the only way the irresponsible will learn

Unis ARE. They are also locking massive numbers of students into halls who have not been proven to have been in close contact and who, according to the NHS rules, do not need to isolate. At Edinburgh, students who are being forcibly locked in are also not having supplies delivered in a timely fashion yet cannot leave to get food etc. It's on a par with China nailing doors shut on whole apartment blocks! "

And they are paying for this.... The best time of their lives...

"

And they are paying for this.... The best time of their lives... "

So sad for them all.

North West

Unis ARE. They are also locking massive numbers of students into halls who have not been proven to have been in close contact and who, according to the NHS rules, do not need to isolate. At Edinburgh, students who are being forcibly locked in are also not having supplies delivered in a timely fashion yet cannot leave to get food etc. It's on a par with China nailing doors shut on whole apartment blocks!

And they are paying for this.... The best time of their lives... "

It's nothing short of disgraceful.

liverpool

Student grants

Come on don't be silly. Student grants from who and to who? Tuition fees go to the uni. "

You apply for students grants through the gmnt

North West

Student grants

Come on don't be silly. Student grants from who and to who? Tuition fees go to the uni.

You apply for students grants through the gmnt"

There aren't really any grants any more though.

Students from lower income families get a slightly higher maintenance loan (they have to pay it back). Other than that, there is Parents Learning Allowance (a grant for students with kids), Childcare Grant (for those student parents whose household do not get tax credits), Disabled Students Learning Allowance (a grant for disabled students) and I think that's it now. Individual unis are required to run hardship funds which they all run differently and some unis offer direct grants or scholarships for certain demographics, but these are institution specific and few and far between. The whole system runs on loans for UK students with the mega bucks that international students pay upfront bankrolling the whole thing.

liverpool

Student grants

You apply for students grants through the gmnt

There aren't really any grants any more though.

Students from lower income families get a slightly higher maintenance loan (they have to pay it back). Other than that, there is Parents Learning Allowance (a grant for students with kids), Childcare Grant (for those student parents whose household do not get tax credits), Disabled Students Learning Allowance (a grant for disabled students) and I think that's it now. Individual unis are required to run hardship funds which they all run differently and some unis offer direct grants or scholarships for certain demographics, but these are institution specific and few and far between. The whole system runs on loans for UK students with the mega bucks that international students pay upfront bankrolling the whole thing. "

Yep it seems to be loans now more than grants.

Student accommodation is also prob making a lot of people quite rich.

North West

It's not seems, Lionel. Basically unless you are a student with children or disabled, there are NO grants. Just loans. It's been like that for a very long time. I went to uni at the age of 19 and was a parent. I got exactly the same in terms of grants as I would if I went now. And I'm almost 35. Grants were erased from the student experience decades and decades ago.

liverpool

"It's not seems, Lionel. Basically unless you are a student with children or disabled, there are NO grants. Just loans. It's been like that for a very long time. I went to uni at the age of 19 and was a parent. I got exactly the same in terms of grants as I would if I went now. And I'm almost 35. Grants were erased from the student experience decades and decades ago. "

That's what I said

When I went to Uni' it was all so very simple - get a Grant, finish the course and do 6 months intern with the Local Authority who gave the Grant. Nothing to pay back.

Really the way it should be now. (minus the intern bit)

North West

"When I went to Uni' it was all so very simple - get a Grant, finish the course and do 6 months intern with the Local Authority who gave the Grant. Nothing to pay back.

Really the way it should be now. (minus the intern bit)"

We still owe the Student Loan Company thousands and thousands of pounds. They send an annual statement. We have a good laugh then recycle it. It goes out of our wages every month and so we just don't see a few hundred quid every month. A graduate tax would work better, because in effect, it kind of is already

"When I went to Uni' it was all so very simple - get a Grant, finish the course and do 6 months intern with the Local Authority who gave the Grant. Nothing to pay back.

We still owe the Student Loan Company thousands and thousands of pounds. They send an annual statement. We have a good laugh then recycle it. It goes out of our wages every month and so we just don't see a few hundred quid every month. A graduate tax would work better, because in effect, it kind of is already "

A friends daughter came home one day with a letter in her hand while I was at her house and she said WTF is SLC? They have just ruined my life. A bit extreme but she was 19 lol. We all clubbed together and paid half her fees for her Twentieth (on a promise that she would finish and pass her course.)

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Ffs I feel for the young generation. All blame on them now. "

Far worse in a lot of supermarkets with so called adults tbh. It's not always the fault of the younger generation.

North West

We still owe the Student Loan Company thousands and thousands of pounds. They send an annual statement. We have a good laugh then recycle it. It goes out of our wages every month and so we just don't see a few hundred quid every month. A graduate tax would work better, because in effect, it kind of is already

A friends daughter came home one day with a letter in her hand while I was at her house and she said WTF is SLC? They have just ruined my life. A bit extreme but she was 19 lol. We all clubbed together and paid half her fees for her Twentieth (on a promise that she would finish and pass her course.)

"

When we were at uni, the fees were only £1200 a year and you couldn't get any loans for that - we had to rock up on day 1 with a cheque or pile of twenties

Our son has taken the loans as we simply can't afford to pay £9k upfront. He'll be paying his SLC graduate tax for a long time, just hope it's worth it for him

Leeds

My daughter got her statement today for her outstanding University fees loan. She owes £37,367.45. She is doing a PhD so doesn't earn enough to start paying back her loan but they are still adding interest. This statement is for fees only. Not accommodation.

liverpool

"My daughter got her statement today for her outstanding University fees loan. She owes £37,367.45. She is doing a PhD so doesn't earn enough to start paying back her loan but they are still adding interest. This statement is for fees only. Not accommodation. "

North West

"My daughter got her statement today for her outstanding University fees loan. She owes £37,367.45. She is doing a PhD so doesn't earn enough to start paying back her loan but they are still adding interest. This statement is for fees only. Not accommodation. "

Yep, standard stuff.....

Jeepers.

here

As a stand alone amount it does look quite daunting.

Looking at it as an investment in future earnings potential it becomes a very manageable prospect .

Leeds

Hopefully.

here

"Hopefully. "

Central

One of the best behaviour changes is for us to stop blaming others, when we need to be pulling closer together.

Students may be adults but they generally don't have the powers and control, let alone the understanding of the world, that we do.

We, the older people, voted in this government that have responsibility for handling the crisis that we are in - some of the first year students will have voted but it was largely us more mature folk.

How the education system has been managed, including restrictions on unis, the A level fiasco, the patchwork of confusion, is down to our leaders. They rely on us but they are there because of us, as are the students.

If you think the UK approach is world beating, then this is probably over your head.

Either way, venting our anger at others who have the misfortune to have entered uni this year, would be better if we didn't. It helps nobody.

"

"

Grrrr lol.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"One of the best behaviour changes is for us to stop blaming others, when we need to be pulling closer together.

Students may be adults but they generally don't have the powers and control, let alone the understanding of the world, that we do.

We, the older people, voted in this government that have responsibility for handling the crisis that we are in - some of the first year students will have voted but it was largely us more mature folk.

How the education system has been managed, including restrictions on unis, the A level fiasco, the patchwork of confusion, is down to our leaders. They rely on us but they are there because of us, as are the students.

If you think the UK approach is world beating, then this is probably over your head.

Either way, venting our anger at others who have the misfortune to have entered uni this year, would be better if we didn't. It helps nobody. "

This is down to personal responsibility it is a cop out to blame the government or the university

The present lock down is caused by nasty selfish thoughtless people not the government.

does it matter how much its for? repayments are a calc of what you earn not what you borrow and the likelihood is she wont ever pay that much and it will get scrubbed ... and if she earns enough to pay that back before it gets scrubbed id say that qualification was a pretty good investment

when someone above said we would be better with a graduate tax they were right... the system now makes people panic looking at the debt number but the reality of repayments is usually no where near in line

"My daughter got her statement today for her outstanding University fees loan. She owes £37,367.45. She is doing a PhD so doesn't earn enough to start paying back her loan but they are still adding interest. This statement is for fees only. Not accommodation.

does it matter how much its for? repayments are a calc of what you earn not what you borrow and the likelihood is she wont ever pay that much and it will get scrubbed ... and if she earns enough to pay that back before it gets scrubbed id say that qualification was a pretty good investment

when someone above said we would be better with a graduate tax they were right... the system now makes people panic looking at the debt number but the reality of repayments is usually no where near in line "

fyi you only pay back 9% of earnings above 26.5k so on an example £30k wage you are looking at a cost of about only £25 a month ... at that rate it would take over 100 years to pay your daughters loan but at 30 years from when you start paying it gets reduced to zero

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"My daughter got her statement today for her outstanding University fees loan. She owes £37,367.45. She is doing a PhD so doesn't earn enough to start paying back her loan but they are still adding interest. This statement is for fees only. Not accommodation.

when someone above said we would be better with a graduate tax they were right... the system now makes people panic looking at the debt number but the reality of repayments is usually no where near in line "

The system is rubbish needs totally reforming should go back to grants

when someone above said we would be better with a graduate tax they were right... the system now makes people panic looking at the debt number but the reality of repayments is usually no where near in line

fyi you only pay back 9% of earnings above 26.5k so on an example £30k wage you are looking at a cost of about only £25 a month ... at that rate it would take over 100 years to pay your daughters loan but at 30 years from when you start paying it gets reduced to zero "

You been watching Martin Lewis?

fyi you only pay back 9% of earnings above 26.5k so on an example £30k wage you are looking at a cost of about only £25 a month ... at that rate it would take over 100 years to pay your daughters loan but at 30 years from when you start paying it gets reduced to zero

You been watching Martin Lewis? "

no but im sure he says the same thing because its true

Leeds

I looked into paying the fees in advance but all the advice says you should take the loan as however huge the debt looks it is very unlikely she will pay it back in 30 years and it will be written off.

» Add a new message to this topic