FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > USA > Relocating to the USA

Relocating to the USA

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andJDubai OP   Couple 2 weeks ago

Dubai, with visits to Glasgow, Edinburgh and London

Has anyone recently relocated to the USA.

We have an option to do so and it would be great to pick someone’s brains about the pros and cons of the US right now.

X

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *L_NativeMan 2 weeks ago

Davenport

I'm a native. If you want to move here , please do so. Most of the decision is based on where you want to work or what your work is. California and New York are extremely expensive (taxes and all) Illinois (Chicago) is semi expensive (taxes) land and housing are pretty expensive almost anywhere you go. The cost of living is pretty high all across the country. I'm a little bias but florida is great. Texas kis nice . So is Montana. Colorado is beautiful almost year round.

By *entlemanFoxMan 2 weeks ago

North East / London

OP,

I lived and worked in the US for a few years.

It is quite a complex question, which depends on a number of specific factors.

Generally, employment T&Cs are much less generous.

Health insurance is a huge issue as without good coverage healthcare costs are prohibitive.

As a previous poster said, it is not one homogeneous country, and exactly where will make a significant difference.

GF

By *gentforfunMan 2 weeks ago

New York/ London

Hey,

I relocated recently and am very happy here. Having been here a few times previously and travelled to more than half the states. Every state is like a country and as the posters above rightly say it’s extremely heterogeneous. However in my opinion your experience will depend on two things.

The first is the state and the city/ town. I live in boson which is very liberal, high levels of education, low crime and very safe, almost European, with high standard of living and wages. The neighbouring states to Massachusetts and NY state (some of it) is similar as is most of California etc.

The second is your work. Skilled workers in the US are paid much higher than their European counterparts. The salary here is extraordinarily high and if you live in a cheap state then you will save a lot. Unfortunately Massachusetts and NY are not cheap. I would not worry about insurance as all employers including small business have generous insurance packages for health, dental etc. It’s easy and if you don’t want employer insurance you can easy get on the market and shop for it. I end up paying the same proportion of my income on insurance and taxes here compared to what I used to pay in taxes in the UK. But the amount you earn here makes a huge difference.

Happy to speak more if you wish. Just pm me.

Thanks

Sami

By *andJDubai OP   Couple 1 week ago

Dubai, with visits to Glasgow, Edinburgh and London

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply.

It’s been very useful to understand the considerations to take into account and weigh up.

Viewing it as a collection of states rather than one homogenous entity is a great point well made. As is avoiding the high tax/cost states.

Boston, Austin, near Nashville were city areas that appealed, looking into it more now to understand which cities outside of those 3 can give you all the amenities but also access to the country side and the rest of the US to explore.

By *gentforfunMan 1 week ago

New York/ London

I live in Boston and have been to Nashville and Austin. All are brilliant and fun cities to live in.

There are some nice places for “best-of-both worlds” in Florida, Colorado and places like San Diego in California although with higher taxes.

Have a look away from the coasts too and there are some great cities that you may like. Hopefully you will find something good..

» Add a new message to this topic