FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > Most boring question ever asked on here

Most boring question ever asked on here

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uliaChris OP   Couple  over a year ago

westerham

We've been visiting and playing in quite a few clubs around the country, had a great time, recommend it to anyone etc etc etc

But for the life of me I can't see how any of them actually make money? Particularly if they don't have an alcohol licence, but even if they do the drinks have always been cheap.

I know for single guys the clubs are a lot more expensive, but for the number of staff that work (including unseen staff e.g. Cleaners), premises, rates, power, etc. my back of envelope calculations suggest they must be being subsidised by wealthy backers?

Apologies again for posting the most boring topic ever but really curious about this ??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You could say that about a lot of pubs and clubs.

So maybe they run them as a hobby.... But nice hobby lol

By *inkyLondonpairCouple  over a year ago

London

"We've been visiting and playing in quite a few clubs around the country, had a great time, recommend it to anyone etc etc etc

But for the life of me I can't see how any of them actually make money? Particularly if they don't have an alcohol licence, but even if they do the drinks have always been cheap.

I know for single guys the clubs are a lot more expensive, but for the number of staff that work (including unseen staff e.g. Cleaners), premises, rates, power, etc. my back of envelope calculations suggest they must be being subsidised by wealthy backers?

Apologies again for posting the most boring topic ever but really curious about this ??"

The prices are quite expensive comparatively speaking and the premises are usually in down market or rural areas so rents will be low.

If you have say four nights a week, charge an average of £30 per person and get an average of 50 people turning up that's £6000 a week and £312,000 a year, which would cover all costs and give a good income for the owners.

"We've been visiting and playing in quite a few clubs around the country, had a great time, recommend it to anyone etc etc etc

Apologies again for posting the most boring topic ever but really curious about this ??

The prices are quite expensive comparatively speaking and the premises are usually in down market or rural areas so rents will be low.

If you have say four nights a week, charge an average of £30 per person and get an average of 50 people turning up that's £6000 a week and £312,000 a year, which would cover all costs and give a good income for the owners. "

Blimey.... I’m in the wrong job!!!

London

Also staff costs won't be huge. The proprietors usually work there and any extra staff will be part time bar staff and cleaners who won't be on much more than minimum wage.

So say a maximum of 5 staff working an average of 20 hours a week on £8 a hour and the weekly wage bill is £800.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Can't comment on clubs but there are some bars and resteraunts I've walked into and they've definitely been set up the launder cash.

It fascinates me.

Based off couples and women's prices.. no they don't make much. It's the men they rinse for money and there is an endless supply of fools to fill their pockets. I was once.

Fools to pay

By *esires of HertsCouple  over a year ago

Herts and London Borders

If you have say four nights a week, charge an average of £30 per person and get an average of 50 people turning up that's £6000 a week and £312,000 a year, which would cover all costs and give a good income for the owners. "

less VAT of about 50k on those figures...,may be less profitable then you think

By *mm and HerCouple  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

The owners of TownHouse and ClubSx have been very open and supportive of people considering it on other threads on here (sure someone can point you to them) and they've very clear - it's not the gold mine people think it is. After all, if it was, we'd all be doing it! I think people also forget about the set-up costs too.

By *uliaChris OP   Couple  over a year ago

westerham

Yes but... based on what we've seen, including at the weekend, 50 people average (i.e. Including quiet January etc) on four nights would be doing very very well. Only a couple of the largest clubs could hope for this number and their building costs are much higher. I accept about the cheaper locations of course, we had noticed that.

Even with 312,000 gross, if a club does one major improvement a year (smoking area, jacuzzi, etc), plus maintenance - I just can't see it being worthwhile purely from a money point of view.

By *empsey and hotpieceMan  over a year ago

North west

"Based off couples and women's prices.. no they don't make much. It's the men they rinse for money and there is an endless supply of fools to fill their pockets. I was once."

I think it’s more to do with making sure the club isn’t full of single men, if it was cheap for them to get in, the place would be full of chancers which would put the couples and single women off, so the owners would have a full club of mostly men, not really what a swingers club is about.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Perhaps they have other sources of income that are invisible to users of the premises.

I’m not a club owner but my best guess on how a club makes money is simple....

Single guys fees - cover the expenses

Couples/single women fees - all profit

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Cash business, no excise duty, keep below the vat levels. Social media advertising, pull people in with parties?

Not going to make millions, unless you are one of the top European clubs, however having fun adds a dimension over and above those who need to pay for the escapism.

I think they are great.

To me they are great places.

London

If you have say four nights a week, charge an average of £30 per person and get an average of 50 people turning up that's £6000 a week and £312,000 a year, which would cover all costs and give a good income for the owners.

Yes but... based on what we've seen, including at the weekend, 50 people average (i.e. Including quiet January etc) on four nights would be doing very very well. Only a couple of the largest clubs could hope for this number and their building costs are much higher. I accept about the cheaper locations of course, we had noticed that.

Even with 312,000 gross, if a club does one major improvement a year (smoking area, jacuzzi, etc), plus maintenance - I just can't see it being worthwhile purely from a money point of view. "

I think it's easily doable. The proof is the fact that loads of clubs exist and some have been going for years. I highly doubt they are all loss making hobbies for wealthy people.

I am not saying clubs are goldmines, but I do think well run clubs will give their owners a reasonable living.

By *d59michelleTV/TS  over a year ago

walsall

Gas and electricity charges ?

"I think it's easily doable. The proof is the fact that loads of clubs exist and some have been going for years. I highly doubt they are all loss making hobbies for wealthy people.

I am not saying clubs are goldmines, but I do think well run clubs will give their owners a reasonable living. "

Knowing the price a successful club sold for about 5 years ago and how you value businesses they were probably making £200K - £300K profit after all costs each year. So there is money to be made.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I've always wondered how they make money as well. £312,000 is not a high turnover for a business that pays staff, rent, rates etc etc. I'm sure the margins will be quite high but so will their expenses.

The problem with customers is they only see the money going into the business and never the money going out.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Like most "leisure" industries clubs will have peaks and troughs.

To take the club I have been to the most as an example on busy nights I'd say there are probably 100-150 people present and even on quiet nights I'd say probably 30-40ish.

Pricing is not that way out for single guys either (£10 more than the couples price which is £35 on a Friday night and £45 on a Saturday when single guys aren't allowed) - if you average that out to about £20 per person and then add bar bills, hotel room fees etc to that - I'd say that even on a quiet night they're looking at around £800 - £1000 income.

Yes there are overheads to come off that - but it's still not a bad return, not a rake it in one admittedly but add private hires and other events to that and it soon adds up to a reasonable amount.

"Perhaps they have other sources of income that are invisible to users of the premises.

"

Intriguing thought...

» Add a new message to this topic