FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > Is being overweight a sign of being poor?

Is being overweight a sign of being poor?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I just read a article which it stated overweight people cannot afford proper food.

I don't know how bad it is in the UK . But to buy all organic food with fresh fruits and vegetables is very expensive.

As a single guy for lunch , a big salad or a healthy bowl of soup cost $12 - $15

But I can go to McDonald's, KFC and get a meal for $5 dollars

Also when I go food shopping , if I want fresh fruit and vegetables, free range chicken or Fresh Salmon. I will spend over $ 200 weekly.

But if I buy everything in a can and cold cuts I can get by with spending $100-$125 per week.

So how bad is it in the UK ? How do healthy eaters survive?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

By not making excuses..

Cost me a fortune to get this size.

"By not making excuses.. "

This post isn't to slate people.

How much do you spend on food?

If you live on smoothies, sushi , and tofu.

It can be very expensive

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

I don't often buy organic however, I do buy a lot of fruit and veg. I make my own soup. I am not into McDonalds, I like the occasional KFC. My shopping bill including a bottle of wine as a single person comes to about £35 a week.

"I don't often buy organic however, I do buy a lot of fruit and veg. I make my own soup. I am not into McDonalds, I like the occasional KFC. My shopping bill including a bottle of wine as a single person comes to about £35 a week."

That's not bad.. I tried to substitute smoothies for breakfast and lunch. I was spending about $ 25-30 per day...

By *adyboy-DaddyCouple  over a year ago

Andover

You don't have to buy the most expensive fruit and veg and £12 hand reared chicken to eat properly.

Not trying to body shame anyone and I accept this is a genralization but study after study shows that the main correlation between low income and being overweight is that poor people (don't like that phrase, but you know what I mean) also make poor choices when it comes to lifestyle.

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

I eat a lot of fruit and fresh veg and buy stuff going out of date at bargain prices and freeze it. As a single person, I spend around £7-£10 a week on food.

I exercise most days - BMI 23, waist 30", chest 38"

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Its easier, cheaper and quicker to eat low nutritional value, high calorie, high salt, high fat food.

"You don't have to buy the most expensive fruit and veg and £12 hand reared chicken to eat properly.

Not trying to body shame anyone and I accept this is a genralization but study after study shows that the main correlation between low income and being overweight is that poor people (don't like that phrase, but you know what I mean) also make poor choices when it comes to lifestyle. "

I think the system is stacked against us to eat healthy. In most countries going to McDonald's is a treat people maybe do 2-3 times per year. It's much cheaper to eat at home.

In the developed world is cheaper to eat McDonald's than cook at home. That's not right

You have to make an effort & go source the best prices. I go to a few different places including the local market for my 'weekly shop' ~ I'm also aware of when the large supermarket puts out the reduced meat / fish on be shelves.

However, it's also very easy to pick up a ready meal or a bargain meal deal at the local fast food restaurant & have that for dinner instead of cooking from scratch.

All comes down to what you enjoy eating & how healthy you really want to be.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Where on earth are you going for a salad to cost £15? Waitrose?

I get a bag of mixed leaves, a bag of spinach, and box of tomatoes and a cucumber. Less then £5, and it lasts me 3 or 4 days.

Or make stuff. Honestly, the expensive stuff is because people buy it pre-made from M&S or Pret. Thinking ahead means you can budget.

"You don't have to buy the most expensive fruit and veg and £12 hand reared chicken to eat properly.

Not trying to body shame anyone and I accept this is a genralization but study after study shows that the main correlation between low income and being overweight is that poor people (don't like that phrase, but you know what I mean) also make poor choices when it comes to lifestyle. "

I find it much more expensive when I'm eating badly. Takeaways are expensive and soon add up. It's cheaper for me to eat well.

you can make nutritious meals cheaply in the UK. rice costs literally nothing, so does pasta. so the bulk of these meals is cheap. frozen veg is cheap, so are some fruits and vegetables. poor quality meat is cheap.

then you have also to presume people have access to a cooker, pots and pans etc. electric or gas too. and that they have the time or inclination to make these meals.

it is unlikely you'll have a wide variety of foods to choose from though. only the cheapest of foods, which in itself isn't bad but can become boring. we're wired to enjoy new experiences and this includes food.

now things to do for exercise...well nothing costs nothing now, apart from jogging. if you want to do anything active that involves more than just using a pavement and your legs it is unlikely you'll be able to afford that. and i noticed i lost weight easier when i was not poor and fed up of being poor because i found activities i liked so moved about more and used taxis and services to help with my chores and the boring stuff i had to. life became fun and i lost weight just off being happy. i wasn't eating loads when poor but i genuinely believe being poor and struggling can affect your metabolism in that it slows down coz you've not much enthusiasm for anything but do stuff anyway coz you have to.

loads of poor people are slim though.

so if you're skint and all you can afford is a day out to mcdonalds then it's more likely you will end up there.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"I find it much more expensive when I'm eating badly. Takeaways are expensive and soon add up. It's cheaper for me to eat well."

I resent paying money for a Big Mac and fries because it tastes so bad.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Not just diet that causes weight gain. I've gained weight due to birth control.

I've been exercising for nearly two months and still not lost any weight.

Aldi or lidl. Healthy enough eating at a cheap price out there if you really want it

i put on weight a little bit when i was super skint as i used to fill up on cheap bread - but still managed to stay healthy - shopped for bargains and made soups a lot - still dont overspend and lost the weight - if i see a pile of fruit cheap i buy it and have fruit salad for tea instead of a regular meal -

Not trying to body shame anyone and I accept this is a genralization but study after study shows that the main correlation between low income and being overweight is that poor people (don't like that phrase, but you know what I mean) also make poor choices when it comes to lifestyle.

I think the system is stacked against us to eat healthy. In most countries going to McDonald's is a treat people maybe do 2-3 times per year. It's much cheaper to eat at home.

In the developed world is cheaper to eat McDonald's than cook at home. That's not right"

Lol in which countries do you think going to McDonald's is a 2-3 times a year treat ??!! Maybe about 30 years ago when I was a child it was

Diets are quite expensive,if you want fresh fish etc,the veg and fruit is quite cheap,as I'm crazy about salmon it can cost a small fortune .

By *ali 69Man  over a year ago

jersey

It's not so much the food ....it's the obsession with food . About 4 cooking programs on T.V. A day , eating out is not seen as a luxury but a pastime . Eating out of boredom , eating out of comfort . If you spent this disproportionate amount of time drinking whiskey you would be called an alcoholic , with unchecked over eating it's sanitised and played down as being a " foodie " . I am genuinely not having a pop at anyones body shape or size , only stating that dodging the issue of over eating in case you offend is helping the over eater into an early grave . Don't really think it's an economic issue . Most people who are affluent I know over eat huge amounts and dine out all the time . Food , should not dominate our society in this way .

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"I just read a article which it stated overweight people cannot afford proper food.

I don't know how bad it is in the UK . But to buy all organic food with fresh fruits and vegetables is very expensive.

As a single guy for lunch , a big salad or a healthy bowl of soup cost $12 - $15

Also when I go food shopping , if I want fresh fruit and vegetables, free range chicken or Fresh Salmon. I will spend over $ 200 weekly.

But if I buy everything in a can and cold cuts I can get by with spending $100-$125 per week.

So how bad is it in the UK ? How do healthy eaters survive?"

We have lidl and Aldi stores over here.

cheap fruit and veg.

It doesn't cost too much to eat healthily.

Some people just make bad choices.

"I just read a article which it stated overweight people cannot afford proper food.

cheap fruit and veg.

"

cheap fruit and veg.

"

Agreed, the lower socioeconomic groups are also more likely to smoke - which is not cheap.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Diets are quite expensive,if you want fresh fish etc,the veg and fruit is quite cheap,as I'm crazy about salmon it can cost a small fortune ."

I had a lovely large bit of salmon for a couple of quid from Tescos tonight.

I think some of the issue is convenience over affordability.

From talking to a lot of my friends it seems that most simply don't know how to cook. These are not uneducated 'poor' people, but I have had to explain simple recipes to a few of them.

I am a poor organiser when it comes to my meals so I often nip to the shop for lunch on my way to work....I buy fairly healthy lunches but was spending around £8 a day that way.

Last week I made a large lasagne and took some of that and a small salad along with some fruit, yoghurt etc and it was much cheaper per day. Got a bit boring after 3 days though.

Some people claim they don't have time to prepare fresh meals every day which is why they opt for quick, easy processed foods etc. But really it doesn't take long to cook up a quick stir fry.

Picky eaters as well who seem to think all food comes pre packaged and can't or won't touch raw meat and wouldn't know what a butternut squash is if you shovel it up their foof also form part of those who prefer quick, easy, unidentifiable processed foods.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"It's not so much the food ....it's the obsession with food . About 4 cooking programs on T.V. A day , eating out is not seen as a luxury but a pastime . Eating out of boredom , eating out of comfort . If you spent this disproportionate amount of time drinking whiskey you would be called an alcoholic , with unchecked over eating it's sanitised and played down as being a " foodie " . I am genuinely not having a pop at anyones body shape or size , only stating that dodging the issue of over eating in case you offend is helping the over eater into an early grave . Don't really think it's an economic issue . Most people who are affluent I know over eat huge amounts and dine out all the time . Food , should not dominate our society in this way . "

This kind of eludes to a point I make time and time again. Over indulge in drink or drugs and you can go cold turkey (pun intended!) yet of you use food as your crutch you can't simply just stop eating yet that is what you are told to do. Like it's easy. People who eat their emotions don't have that off switch that others have. I'm slowly reconnecting mine but sometimes the wiring shorts out and before I know it I've eaten 4 bagels in a day on top of chocolate and normal dinners.

mainly but not all (before i get pounced on )- the reason for being overweight is more going in than being used up its v simple -

Convenience food is expensive. Fresh fruit and veg aren't. It's as simple as that.

By *urvymamaWoman  over a year ago

Doncaster

When in a low income I used frozen fruits and vegetables they still have all the goodness and can be bought in bulk and therefore very cheap, bigger advantage of that in the US is stores allow extreme couponing so you can get most of it for free with coupons

In the developed world is cheaper to eat McDonald's than cook at home. That's not right"

No it isn't....either a treat nor cheaper!! Lazy people might claim it is But it's Bollocks!!

Just cos the entire fast food meal is cheaper than "organic" produce, it doesn't mean you have to over eat.

Everyone can count and watch their calorie intake.

"Just cos the entire fast food meal is cheaper than "organic" produce, it doesn't mean you have to over eat.

Everyone can count and watch their calorie intake. "

And i don't get the comparison with organic and fast food??

So do you equate it more to intelligence.....? Thick people make bad choices. Thick people have less well paid jobs....therefore people in less well paid jobs make poor choices....therefore fat people are thick? This seems to be the logic of your argument?

"Just cos the entire fast food meal is cheaper than "organic" produce, it doesn't mean you have to over eat.

And i don't get the comparison with organic and fast food??"

Me neither. I guess people who have lost touch with grocery shopping and rely on prepared foods truly believe the only options are organic, free range, biodynamic produce. Not sure why vegetables are seen as a luxury item.

Why do you assume being overweight is only related to diet?

We put on weight because we eat more than we need to, to supply our body with energy. If you increase the amount of energy your body uses up (by exercise for example), you will start to loose weight.

Yes health food is more expensive than junk food, but instead of buying a chocolate which costs £1, but 500g of grapes on sale for that price. Sure they still have natural occurring sugars but are nowhere near as bad.

To be noted, I have nothing against overweight people, its their life and their choice, if they're happy with their body that's all that matters.

Me neither. I guess people who have lost touch with grocery shopping and rely on prepared foods truly believe the only options are organic, free range, biodynamic produce. Not sure why vegetables are seen as a luxury item. "

exotic fruit and veg is a luxury. especially if you have a big family that like eating this stuff. even berries are expensive for what you get. £2 for a small punnet unless on offer. and i do shop around here.

i tend to stick to apples, tomatoes, bananas, potatoes, oranges and grapes. the cheap ones. i don't buy dried fruit because of the too high sugar content despite it being reasonably cheap.

And i don't get the comparison with organic and fast food??"

There is no comparison. Fast food is fast food and anything organic is vastly overpriced nonsense with no evidence of any beneficial effect.

Eat sensibly and exercise a little every day. Even if you don't lose weight you will be healthier.

By *negentMan  over a year ago

kirkby

The food industry should carry

Health warnings like tobacco

Me neither. I guess people who have lost touch with grocery shopping and rely on prepared foods truly believe the only options are organic, free range, biodynamic produce. Not sure why vegetables are seen as a luxury item.

exotic fruit and veg is a luxury. especially if you have a big family that like eating this stuff. even berries are expensive for what you get. £2 for a small punnet unless on offer. and i do shop around here.

i tend to stick to apples, tomatoes, bananas, potatoes, oranges and grapes. the cheap ones. i don't buy dried fruit because of the too high sugar content despite it being reasonably cheap."

Yes but you don't need to buy exotic fruit and veg! Basic fruit and veg....whatever is cheap is what my family gets...i normally buy reduced stuff too Tesco often has items reduced down to 10% of the original price.

Tesco now do "perfectly imperfect" strawberries. 227g for 75p. Not quite the "perfect" shape and size of those in the £2 punnets....but actually better tasting, and a handful are just as good in a smoothie with a third of a 69p aldi pineapple, a banana and a spot of Greek yoghurt.

That was my lunch today....though I will admit to a pub carvery with all the trimmings this evening (oooops)

i tend to stick to apples, tomatoes, bananas, potatoes, oranges and grapes. the cheap ones. i don't buy dried fruit because of the too high sugar content despite it being reasonably cheap.

Yes but you don't need to buy exotic fruit and veg! Basic fruit and veg....whatever is cheap is what my family gets...i normally buy reduced stuff too Tesco often has items reduced down to 10% of the original price."

don't need to yeah but i was saying they are luxury items. plus it'd be nice to have some variety and a change sometimes so the diet doesn't become boring and foods that are nutrtionally crappy don't seem as tempting.

our supermarkers hardly have special offers now, if they do i go at the wrong times or something.

Yes but you don't need to buy exotic fruit and veg! Basic fruit and veg....whatever is cheap is what my family gets...i normally buy reduced stuff too Tesco often has items reduced down to 10% of the original price.

don't need to yeah but i was saying they are luxury items. plus it'd be nice to have some variety and a change sometimes so the diet doesn't become boring and foods that are nutrtionally crappy don't seem as tempting.

our supermarkers hardly have special offers now, if they do i go at the wrong times or something.

"

Foods only become boring if you don't have the know how to create something different with what you have.....

Foods only become boring if you don't have the know how to create something different with what you have....."

i'm 42, even chocolate is boring to me now. yes, never thought i'd say that but it happened a while back.

i tend to stick to apples, tomatoes, bananas, potatoes, oranges and grapes. the cheap ones. i don't buy dried fruit because of the too high sugar content despite it being reasonably cheap."

That's half the point though, eating within your means and maintaining a balanced meal. You don't have to buy avocados, or dragon fruit, or some Chinese imports. A sack of potatoes, leafy greens or some other root vegetables are all reasonably priced. The difficult part is investing in oil/spices at the start to make the food interesting.

That's half the point though, eating within your means and maintaining a balanced meal. You don't have to buy avocados, or dragon fruit, or some Chinese imports. A sack of potatoes, leafy greens or some other root vegetables are all reasonably priced. The difficult part is investing in oil/spices at the start to make the food interesting. "

would be nice though if everyone could enjoy a variety of healthy foods. that's all.

we've had diets where all we could afford to eat was rice and mixed veg coz the electric company underestimated our bill then demanded a huge sum of money every week, that was boring eventually and we're not stuck on that any more thank god, think if i was i would just stop eating and have done before now. i'd rather eat nothing than the same thing all the time. maybe that's part of the weight problem? food is bland, i know mcdonalds tastes of nothing, we had none for over a year and went for a treat and even the kids sat there and said it tasted of nothing. it's probably why they keep bringing out special burgers to tempt people into thinking they're actually eating something different when all they did was add a different sauce to the food.

By *omersetfabbersCouple  over a year ago

Glastonbury

A little bit yes

Specially in the US where you struggle to find fresh food that is not tempered with in any alway

Unless you go to upmarket places like 'whole foods' that usp on this

In the UK is stems from the WWII and the way people made do with weirdest of ingredients and have slowly moved from then

Generations that haven't got a clue how to cook from scratch

don't they add corn starch/sugar to everything in america as well? so i heard ages ago.

In the developed world is cheaper to eat McDonald's than cook at home. That's not right

Lol in which countries do you think going to McDonald's is a 2-3 times a year treat ??!! Maybe about 30 years ago when I was a child it was "

going to McDonald's in our household is a great lol . For a family of 4 it costs us around £50 week to eat and we never go hungry

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

It's ok it's meant to be that way. It kills them off nice and early with the smokers and we don't need to pay their pension.

"don't they add corn starch/sugar to everything in america as well? so i heard ages ago."

In America everything has sugar/cornstarch.

Btw I live in Manhattan just as expensive as London. The only place I have found cheap vegetables and fruits is in Chinatown. So I'm sure most people in London have this problem.

The people saying it's cheaper to cook are right. But for a single guy it's tough.

If I cook a whole chicken Sunday night , bring it for lunch Monday and Tuesday by Wednesday. I'm tired of it. I've bought the bags of salad but after 3 days after opening the bag the vegetables are brown.

I've also been in the Vietnam , Cambodia , Loas , Estonia, and Latvia . Trust me these people are not going to McDonald's everyday and it's a treat to go once a year.

I honestly think if fast food became expensive we would all lose weight.

"don't they add corn starch/sugar to everything in america as well? so i heard ages ago.

Btw I live in Manhattan just as expensive as London. The only place I have found cheap vegetables and fruits is in Chinatown. So I'm sure most people in London have this problem.

The people saying it's cheaper to cook are right. But for a single guy it's tough.

If I cook a whole chicken Sunday night , bring it for lunch Monday and Tuesday by Wednesday. I'm tired of it. I've bought the bags of salad but after 3 days after opening the bag the vegetables are brown.

I've also been in the Vietnam , Cambodia , Loas , Estonia, and Latvia . Trust me these people are not going to McDonald's everyday and it's a treat to go once a year.

I honestly think if fast food became expensive we would all lose weight."

Or become "poorer"

"don't they add corn starch/sugar to everything in america as well? so i heard ages ago.

I honestly think if fast food became expensive we would all lose weight.

Or become "poorer" "

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"...But I can go to McDonald's, KFC and get a meal for $5 dollars

"

But for £5, I can make a healthy, nutritious meal for four (including two big teenagers), using fresh, in season, or frozen veg and decent meat from our local butcher.

Our food budget is £80 per week.

I could also make you some soup, or a salad for your lunch, for a heck of a lot less than $15. This is what Mrs ddc takes in for lunch most days.

"Healthy eating is too expensive" is a lie, we just forgot to teach a generation of kids to cook properly.

Mr ddc

"...But I can go to McDonald's, KFC and get a meal for $5 dollars

But for £5, I can make a healthy, nutritious meal for four (including two big teenagers), using fresh, in season, or frozen veg and decent meat from our local butcher.

Our food budget is £80 per week.

I could also make you some soup, or a salad for your lunch, for a heck of a lot less than $15. This is what Mrs ddc takes in for lunch most days.

"Healthy eating is too expensive" is a lie, we just forgot to teach a generation of kids to cook properly.

Mr ddc"

I think it's easier for larger families. You have a set amount of money per person. When divided, the individual gets more choice.

Buying for one person is different. Like the OP says, you can get a bag of salad or a chicken but when it's just one person eating it, it doesn't work out.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"..Mr ddc

I think it's easier for larger families. You have a set amount of money per person. When divided, the individual gets more choice.

Buying for one person is different. Like the OP says, you can get a bag of salad or a chicken but when it's just one person eating it, it doesn't work out."

A roast chicken will do two meals for us, but we never have chicken two days in a row. The spare is frozen until I'm ready to use it.

Yes those salad bags are pants, but that's because they're battered and bashed, but they don't rot in the bag because they're packed with Nitrous oxide. Once opened, and exposed to oxygen, you have only a day or two.

But a lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, etc will last for over a week in the fridge if you choose them carefully.

I ate well when I was single too, and I had less money back then.

The only thing that got me was milk, 1pint costs not much less than 4

Not necessarily my wife treats many from all walks of life , middle classes ha e a weight issue as much as working class ,wealthy not as much as most detox at spas ,up yo diet. Gyms in the home but are unhealthy due to excess rich food and drink plus his group still smoke a lot on par with the poor.

By *ffanotdykeCouple  over a year ago

Telford

This one of the most hotly contributed to topics I have seen for a long time which would confirm that food and sex are the staples of life.

As I have recently taken early retirement I now have the opportunity to enjoy both to the full. Do I feel smug? You bet your life I do!!!!!!

Eating canapés spread out on my lady's pussy doesn't get much better.

Anyone for supper?

By *otblondewife hornyMrCouple  over a year ago

Cambuslang

I love cooking and it's a nonsense to say you can't eat healthy in a budget, 5)the likes I aldi and lidl so weekly fruit veg deals. With tinned tomatoes and some dried herbs you can always make a nice healthy quick dinner.

There are many reasons that one could be overweight. Poverty can be one. Lack of food education can be another. Not caring. Mental health issues. Physical health issues. Poor upbringing. Lack of desire to be thin. Lack of interest in exercise. A love for food that isn't good for you. Stress. Long work hours. Boredom.

Or... a person can just like being that size.

(For what it's worth, I used to feed myself healthily on about £20 a week. I ate vegetables. Vegetables are generally really good for you. But you can only do that if someone has taught you to cook.)

"Btw I live in Manhattan just as expensive as London. The only place I have found cheap vegetables and fruits is in Chinatown. So I'm sure most people in London have this problem."

No, we have decent size supermarkets in most parts of London. And markets in most parts of London too. I think almost every able bodied person in London is probably within a 30 minute *walk* of somewhere that sells a decent selection of fresh fruit and vegetables at reasonable prices. Most people will be much closer.

Last year when I went to Manhatten I struggled to find a place to buy food that wasn't just a corner shop selling junk. I don't know how you guys do it.

"I eat a lot of fruit and fresh veg and buy stuff going out of date at bargain prices and freeze it. As a single person, I spend around £7-£10 a week on food.

I exercise most days - BMI 23, waist 30", chest 38""

Many people cannot afford a freezer. They either cannot afford to buy it, or they cannot afford the electricity to run it.

I honestly think if fast food became expensive we would all lose weight."

fast food isn't really food or it's ruined food at best, i do think that is part of the problem. as well as the corn starch thing.

about your veg, not sure why it's going off so quick but using a metal knife to cut lettuce makes it go brown, so use a plastic knife or just pull it to bits with your hands. my salad stuff lasts ages. buying the items separately rather than a bag of prepared veg might help, might be cheaper also? i get what you mean about how boring food gets if you eat the same every day.

By *iReyWoman  over a year ago

Cheshire East

Costs me a fortune to eat well but I do it regardless. High protein, low carbs, only 50g of whole wheat or brown carbs per day, plenty of veg and a little fruit. I do have a cheat day once a month, where we go out to eat and I do love to spend it in Franky&Bennys We're not poor BUT I do have a disease that makes weight loss extremely hard. I may be a size 18 but I run 5k on the treadmill a few times a week and I lift too.

Saying that I have noticed shit food is very cheap, I can see how easy it would be to fall into that trap

By *iReyWoman  over a year ago

Cheshire East

I may add that we alll eat the same in this house and my fiance and daughter are both very healthy weights and a normal bmi

Fresh healthy food need not be expensive.

Just takes some common sense and not succumbing to the over priced crap that companies tell you is healthy.

Can be cheap as chips when done right.

A salad for $12 seriously? Wouldn't cost you half that to make it. And the amount people spend on 'healthy' smoothies these days is a complete joke!

I put on 9 stone when I was much better off than I am now. By poor do they mean on unemployment benefits or working class on low wages? I see quite a few porky people in suits working in London and using the tube to get to work.

"Fresh healthy food need not be expensive.

Just takes some common sense and not succumbing to the over priced crap that companies tell you is healthy.

Can be cheap as chips when done right.

A salad for $12 seriously? Wouldn't cost you half that to make it. And the amount people spend on 'healthy' smoothies these days is a

complete joke! "

I had a look at the prices of some so called superfoods and found them to be very expensive compared to their counterparts.

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

I think people make excuses.

Go to a market stall ("£1 a baaawwwlll!") and you could get over a week's worth of fruit and veg for less than a tenner.

However, the issue with me is time (yes, I know, another excuse!).

With two children under 2 and the eldest having severe physical and mental disabilities, I just don't have the time to peel, prep and cook a healthy meal from scratch.

My Son cannot sit, roll, crawl, walk, feed himself or even play by himself, so won't just sit there while I do dinner.

He just screams.

So I usually survive off of microwave meals or pre-prepped/packaged salad and veg - THAT'S when it gets expensive.

I tend to buy my fruit from Lidl or Aldi, far better quality, lasts longer and is pretty reasonable.

By *andy_tomMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

"I don't often buy organic however, I do buy a lot of fruit and veg. I make my own soup. I am not into McDonalds, I like the occasional KFC. My shopping bill including a bottle of wine as a single person comes to about £35 a week."

shop at ALDI, you can knock £7 off that ,

The size of someone is irrelevant and no your not poor your probably a very happy individual who enjoys life the same as a skinny person its tv and media that get you in the mindset that being overweight is wrong or as you said poor ignore that life is about living and enjoying yourself be naughty eat what you want drink what you want aslong as your happy fuck the rest xstefx

You can have all the healthy fruit and veg in the world at your disposal, but unless you've been shown how to prep it, cook it, make a nutritious meal out of it, then what use is it?

How many people actually take the time to cook their meals with fresh ingredients from scratch? How many people pass these skills on to their children? I'm sure a lot do, but probably more don't.

Most folk (not all, by any means) opt for the easier option.

Its not really a question of cost or your financial status, I think the facts are there to be seen and tasted...

Most things that are healthy tastes bleeding horrible!

And nearly all things that are unhealthy tastes great!!

That's my opinion anyway

I work for a food retailer

Do what lots of people do

Come shopping when it's nearly closing time and but it all for 9p

I've seen fights

I shit you not

"Its not really a question of cost or your financial status, I think the facts are there to be seen and tasted...

That's my opinion anyway "

I beg to differ, healthy can taste amazing. It does however require some skill and effort in prepping the food. Unhealthy crap will usually taste like crap though.

Herts

And, of course, as others have said, you could be rich but have bad habits.

"I work for a food retailer

I've seen fights

I shit you not "

9p where?

"Its not really a question of cost or your financial status, I think the facts are there to be seen and tasted...

That's my opinion anyway

I beg to differ, healthy can taste amazing. It does however require some skill and effort in prepping the food. Unhealthy crap will usually taste like crap though. "

I beg to differ with you too

Last time I was in American,I ordered a meal,it was.. ..WTF..it could of fed three people.

I've seen fights

I shit you not

9p where?

"

I remember once before I was a vegetarian, managing to snaffle 17 fillet steak portions for 19p each in Sainsburys.

And my first year of being a student when I cut back my working hours, I knew exactly what time the Tesco Metro across the road from me put the second set of yellow stickers on everything. I frequently used to eat (slightly weird) meals for about 30p per portion.

Herts

"Last time I was in American,I ordered a meal,it was.. ..WTF..it could of fed three people."

Bradley said that.

Don't a lot of places also charge you if you try and order a single meal to share?

By *awtynNiceCouple  over a year ago

We have both been on slimming world diet for three months now, this is more of a lifestyle change rather than a go without everything diet, but obviously we are eating lots of healthy options and our shopping bill has reduced by £45 ish a month. We generally shop in Aldi and Sainsburys and fill our trolley with lots of veg, fruit, lean meats and fish; even a few healthy treats. So for us we are eating better, losing weight, living healthier, feeling good and saving money ready to spend on our club visits in the summer.

Andover

So do you equate it more to intelligence.....? Thick people make bad choices. Thick people have less well paid jobs....therefore people in less well paid jobs make poor choices....therefore fat people are thick? This seems to be the logic of your argument?"

Your the one who brought intelligence into it,

Not me!

Your logic (or assumption of my logic) is backwards.

It is not that gay people are thick (as you so pleasantly put it)

But there is a correlation between people on lower incomes being more likely to have a lack of food knowledge being more likely to be overweight.

Obviousley this does not apply in all cases, but we all know it's a factor.

I accept the fact that having a good salary means you are able to eat a range of healthier foods. I think salary stability has a lot to do with it too - if you are working shifts on low wage and you get a bad week with working hours - as I briefly found out, even I was more inclined to opt for beans on toast and jacket potato with tinned tuna, or a microwave meal, rather than cook a veggie stir fry or stew, or even just a pasta bake.

That said, sadly there is also a correlation between low income, where you live, and healthy life choices, along side knowledge on proper eating, food preparation and exercise.

I a bit of charity work helping to teach low income and single parents how to make a healthy meal on the cheap - and it's shocking to see how much a long commute+long working hours, or a reduced income, can drastically impact someone's motivation to actually cook.

I think another big problem was that kis aren't really taught to cook by their parents now - my dad insisted I learn't the basics once I turned 12. And it's a shame, home cook and baking can be a wonderful way for kids to bond with their parents.

So how bad is it in the UK ? How do healthy eaters survive?"

I wouldnt equate organic with healthy but veg is dirt cheap.

Frozen veg of pretty much any kind if between £1-2 a killo prepared in asda and most supermarkets.

Not ideal for something like a salad but for sauces etc perfectly fine.

Same for meat etc can be bought in bulk fairly cheaply especially from wholesalers.

But then again in the uk a mcdonalds meal with drink is about 7 quid so what over $10 compared to your 5.

"We have both been on slimming world diet for three months now, this is more of a lifestyle change rather than a go without everything diet, but obviously we are eating lots of healthy options and our shopping bill has reduced by £45 ish a month. We generally shop in Aldi and Sainsburys and fill our trolley with lots of veg, fruit, lean meats and fish; even a few healthy treats. So for us we are eating better, losing weight, living healthier, feeling good and saving money ready to spend on our club visits in the summer. "

one thing you'll notice about eating healthy is generally you're not going to be paying VAT on any of your food shop.

Unlike the unhealthy foods which come under luxury and so get VAT applied

"You can have all the healthy fruit and veg in the world at your disposal, but unless you've been shown how to prep it, cook it, make a nutritious meal out of it, then what use is it?

How many people actually take the time to cook their meals with fresh ingredients from scratch? How many people pass these skills on to their children? I'm sure a lot do, but probably more don't.

Most folk (not all, by any means) opt for the easier option. "

Google-how to make- click recipe-follow recipe-eat.

Cooking isnt that hard. Cave men could do it

So do you equate it more to intelligence.....? Thick people make bad choices. Thick people have less well paid jobs....therefore people in less well paid jobs make poor choices....therefore fat people are thick? This seems to be the logic of your argument?

Your the one who brought intelligence into it,

Not me!

Your logic (or assumption of my logic) is backwards.

It is not that gay people are thick (as you so pleasantly put it)

But there is a correlation between people on lower incomes being more likely to have a lack of food knowledge being more likely to be overweight.

Obviousley this does not apply in all cases, but we all know it's a factor. "

Another big thing shown by a lot of studies is marketing and availability. Fast food outlets dominate the marketing and high-street scene. We live in an age of convenience an basically if you want healthy convenience food on the go it;s either, hard to find, and/or expensive.

In addition a lot of studies show that the media promotes body images which are largely unachievable - the charity I volunteer with is always recording increasing numbers of people suffering from eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorders.

In answer to the thread title

Being overweight is a sign of eating too much.

It's as simple as that.

If you can only afford to eat high calorific value foods then ear less of it.

Mr

I've seen fights

I shit you not

9p where?

Any supermarket

Just gotta time it right

Some have it down to a fine art

Invest an entire evening stalking the store to see when the reductions take place

I remember once before I was a vegetarian, managing to snaffle 17 fillet steak portions for 19p each in Sainsburys.

And my first year of being a student when I cut back my working hours, I knew exactly what time the Tesco Metro across the road from me put the second set of yellow stickers on everything. I frequently used to eat (slightly weird) meals for about 30p per portion. "

Cambuslang

"There are many reasons that one could be overweight. Poverty can be one. Lack of food education can be another. Not caring. Mental health issues. Physical health issues. Poor upbringing. Lack of desire to be thin. Lack of interest in exercise. A love for food that isn't good for you. Stress. Long work hours. Boredom.

Or... a person can just like being that size.

(For what it's worth, I used to feed myself healthily on about £20 a week. I ate vegetables. Vegetables are generally really good for you. But you can only do that if someone has taught you to cook.)"

no one taught me to cook I taught myself the Internet is awash with recipes/tutorials

I've seen fights

I shit you not

9p where?

And my first year of being a student when I cut back my working hours, I knew exactly what time the Tesco Metro across the road from me put the second set of yellow stickers on everything. I frequently used to eat (slightly weird) meals for about 30p per

portion. "

I did this so often, it was actually fun :P

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Reduced section of supermarket is great...got £4 worth of chicken breast for 20p the other day....plus fruit and veg

"You can have all the healthy fruit and veg in the world at your disposal, but unless you've been shown how to prep it, cook it, make a nutritious meal out of it, then what use is it?

Cooking isnt that hard. Cave men could do it"

That doesn't really encourage a love of cooking though does it? That's just going through the basic motions. If people didn't see cooking as a chore and enjoyed it more, they'd experiment more.

By *hoenixandflamesCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

There's loads of research to show there is a link between poverty and poor health including obesity (the Marmot Review is an interesting read on the subject). But it's a much wider issue than not being able to afford healthy food. It's often around lack of education and opportunities. It's easy to make a tasty healthy meal if you've grown up helping your folks to cook Sunday dinner. But if all you've ever known is chicken nuggets and chips, thats what you'll feed your kids. And so the cycle continues. That's why so much money in the UK is spent on the public health agenda.

By *hoenixandflamesCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

Just to add.... I have a fairly well paid job and I'm still fat! So some of it is lifestyle choice too.

I do agree it is wrong that processed crap is so much cheaper than healthy fresh food but come on, 99% of people are overweight due to lifestyle not because they cant afford the right food. You get overweight then dont want to exercise. Its a vicious circle.

By *ola.Woman  over a year ago

Just where I need to be.

No I don't think being overweight should be associated with just being poor.Unfortunately in these times we have become a society of want it now.We have become greedy in all aspects of life,food included.We want more leisure time and by buying processed foods gives us that but then we don't do anything with the time we have saved.

We need to get back to basics with children at school.Give them the knowledge of how to cook nutritional foods. Many parents do not possess the skills so can't pass on. Future generations will not have a clue how to cook.

You can eat healthy cheaply.It takes a bit of planning and also a bit of time but for the sake of my health and for my childrens when they were growing up it was worth it.

Instead of forking out on expensive organic foods, I eat in moderation. I don't over indulge and I balance my calory intake with what I burn off exercising. You don't have to eat healthy to be slim

NO,if yer overweight you probably don't exercise enough or eat too much.

hud on, years ago the poor where thin,skinny types,,weren't they?

By *ancscleanguyMan  over a year ago

Preston

Poor people are often poor because they're are lazy. So therefore they buy easy ready made meals or takeaways.

I realise some people are poor because of unfortunate circumstances and I wished these people could be helped more. If the state could out the dossers and help the needy it would be s far better country.

I'm not poor and I'm over weight

"Poor people are often poor because they're are lazy. So therefore they buy easy ready made meals or takeaways.

I realise some people are poor because of unfortunate circumstances and I wished these people could be helped more. If the state could out the dossers and help the needy it would be s far better country. "

Im poor but I'm not overweight or lazy

"Poor people are often poor because they're are lazy. So therefore they buy easy ready made meals or takeaways.

I realise some people are poor because of unfortunate circumstances and I wished these people could be helped more. If the state could out the dossers and help the needy it would be s far better country.

Im poor but I'm not overweight or lazy"

When I was at uni i was dead poor, no way could I afford take aways

When I was at uni i was dead poor, no way could I afford take aways "

poor people always have enough money for takeaways, fags, booze, flat screen TVs and drugs don't cha know.

poor people always have enough money for takeaways, fags, booze, flat screen TVs and drugs don't cha know. "

I must have been beyond poor then

poor people always have enough money for takeaways, fags, booze, flat screen TVs and drugs don't cha know.

I must have been beyond poor then "

aw. maybe.

are pickle onion raiders a take away? i used to be fond of them when i was skint.

aw. maybe.

are pickle onion raiders a take away? i used to be fond of them when i was skint."

If you'd have seen some of the shit I ate when I was at uni

Everything in a giant Yorkshire pudding because they was cheap to make, some days I'd just sling a tin of beans in there

Dear God when I look back

aw. maybe.

are pickle onion raiders a take away? i used to be fond of them when i was skint.

Everything in a giant Yorkshire pudding because they was cheap to make, some days I'd just sling a tin of beans in there

Dear God when I look back "

i think we're slowly figuring out if poor people eat bad diets.

aw. maybe.

i think we're slowly figuring out if poor people eat bad diets. "

Pasta. A lot of pasta. And rice. Make a lasagne or chilli in bulk and freeze it. You have you dinners set for the next few weeks

aw. maybe.

Pasta. A lot of pasta. And rice. Make a lasagne or chilli in bulk and freeze it. You have you dinners set for the next few weeks "

shhh with your sensible meal plans, that's not funny.

plus it has to be wholemeal pasta you know, to be really healthy. none of this plain processed pasta.

aw. maybe.

i think we're slowly figuring out if poor people eat bad diets. "

Aye was worth it in the long run though all those years of scrimping to get a good job and now I'm a fat bastard because I can afford to eat loadssss

aw. maybe.

Pasta. A lot of pasta. And rice. Make a lasagne or chilli in bulk and freeze it. You have you dinners set for the next few weeks

plus it has to be wholemeal pasta you know, to be really healthy. none of this plain processed pasta.

"

Oh of course. And the sauce is all done by hand. With locally grown produce cause im in the countryside

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

After spending a couple of weeks in the States last year i did notice electronic items, clothes & fresh food was more expensive but fuel & fast foods cheaper.

Take Five Guys in Upstate New York a massive burger meal (best burgers ever lol) for two was 15 Dollars where as in the London Five Guys £40, your fast food is dirt cheap to ours but fresh stuff costs an arm & a leg.

It is more expensive to eat healthier & that's the same in France, Spain & most other European countries.

aw. maybe.

Aye was worth it in the long run though all those years of scrimping to get a good job and now I'm a fat bastard because I can afford to eat loadssss "

nice.

tbh i was greedy when i first had enough money for food, bought takeaways all the time. then that got boring.

aw. maybe.

"

I can make pasta

My parents came over from Sicily to opened a restaurant it was my job to make the pasta, and I mean from scratch none of this open bag and boil bollocks

Are you impressed

aw. maybe.

Oh of course. And the sauce is all done by hand. With locally grown produce cause im in the countryside"

is that a joke or not coz it's slightly funny but i think i don't get it?

never made my own sauces actually, sounds like a good idea.

aw. maybe.

Oh of course. And the sauce is all done by hand. With locally grown produce cause im in the countryside

never made my own sauces actually, sounds like a good idea."

Not a joke :') use locally grown produce is actually cheaper. And the sauces come out nicer. Also, huge tip for Bolognase sauce I got from my ex girlfriend who was Italian. Put tomato ketchup in it.

hi..interesting

Speaking only for myself, as a very overweight lady, I do think that eating healthily is more expensive than convenience food. For example I could buy a bag of dried pasta, a jar of sauce and some pre cooked chicken slices for about £3 and it would be enough for too last lunches for a week. If i was to make it from scratch (using fresh chicken and say tinned tomatoes and herbs etc) it would cost at least twice that. So I see why people opt for the quicker, unhealthier options. Saying that, I have made the decision to get healthy, eat better and go to the gym which has definitely made a massive difference to my food budget, but 12 stone lighter, I think it's worth paying more

aw. maybe.

I can make pasta

My parents came over from Sicily to opened a restaurant it was my job to make the pasta, and I mean from scratch none of this open bag and boil bollocks

Are you impressed "

i am actually. when i worked in the BT kitchen all they let me make was soup, and it was from powdered soup, and it was usually te celery one (i can't stand the smell).

Cambuslang

"I eat a lot of fruit and fresh veg and buy stuff going out of date at bargain prices and freeze it. As a single person, I spend around £7-£10 a week on food.

Many people cannot afford a freezer. They either cannot afford to buy it, or they cannot afford the electricity to run it."

what utter nonsense, costs a few pence a day to power a freezer.

aw. maybe.

never made my own sauces actually, sounds like a good idea.

Not a joke :') use locally grown produce is actually cheaper. And the sauces come out nicer. Also, huge tip for Bolognase sauce I got from my ex girlfriend who was Italian. Put tomato ketchup in it. "

out of tinned tomotoes or 'raw'/fresh ones? i could probably make it out of tinned stuff but fresh ones i think i'd burn them.

ugh no ketchup, can't stand that stuff!!!

Also, BMI is no longer used as it gives very innacurate readings

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

Statistically, yes.

I understand what you are saying, but not really, the way to not get fat is just buy staying healthy and not eating loads, which funnily enough costs less

"Also, BMI is no longer used as it gives very innacurate readings"

By who?

I work for the NHS and we still use BMI

BMI works for most people

There is a very small minority that it will not work for mainly body builders, people who have had limbs removed etc but for most people it works

I spend about £70 a week at lidl and that feeds a family of five. I don't buy any junk and we make all meals from scratch; nothing fancy (eg spag Bol, etc) we all have packed lunches too which helps. All of us are a healthy weight and we all exercise. I really don't think it costs more to eat healthily x

"Also, BMI is no longer used as it gives very innacurate readings

By who?

There is a very small minority that it will not work for mainly body builders, people who have had limbs removed etc but for most people it works "

My doctors advice me not to go on bmi due to the fact I have odd body proportions. My healthy weight is meant to be 10 to 12 stone according to BMI. But idealy I am meant to be 9 stone :')

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

"I spend about £70 a week at lidl and that feeds a family of five. I don't buy any junk and we make all meals from scratch; nothing fancy (eg spag Bol, etc) we all have packed lunches too which helps. All of us are a healthy weight and we all exercise. I really don't think it costs more to eat healthily x"

Agreed, if you know where to shop.

The main issue is food education I think. - Both knowing how to cook, and ignorance about nutrients(or the lack of)in food/drink.

Good old government axing Food Technology lessons and incentivising schools to get rid of classrooms with ovens, etc. WHich led to a significant proportion of a generation of people not having the above knowledge. Which threfore led to THEWIR children not being educated(at school, or at home)about food and cooking.

Criminal; tragic.

Look at the huge surge in diabetes(and obesity levels). And yet the government keep protecting the interests of the confectionary and drinks business.

Somebody needs lining up and shooting.

By *edheadsruleCouple  over a year ago

lancashire

I think it's a lack of people being able to cook, my sister had her daughters friend round for dinner....9 years old and this child didn't even know what a chicken was... presumed all chicken came in nugget form

Lol in which countries do you think going to McDonald's is a 2-3 times a year treat ??!! Maybe about 30 years ago when I was a child it was "

I've been to marakesh and believe me only the rich 'suits' eat there and you always see beggars outside

By who?

There is a very small minority that it will not work for mainly body builders, people who have had limbs removed etc but for most people it works "

Oh gawd not the BMI argument again, take cover

[Removed by poster at 23/05/16 16:25:07]

Many people cannot afford a freezer. They either cannot afford to buy it, or they cannot afford the electricity to run it. what utter nonsense, costs a few pence a day to power a freezer."

Any many people cannot afford that.

Nor can they afford slow cookers, efficient ovens, and so forth.

I remember living with my boyfriend when I was 18 and we genuinely agonised over the fact that a freezer would cost us about £50 a year to run. They are also only properly efficient when they are completely full as well. So not only do you have to buy a freezer and account for the running costs - you can't just buy one or two things to put in it either.

In a word. No.

By who?

There is a very small minority that it will not work for mainly body builders, people who have had limbs removed etc but for most people it works

My doctors advice me not to go on bmi due to the fact I have odd body proportions. My healthy weight is meant to be 10 to 12 stone according to BMI. But idealy I am meant to be 9 stone :')"

A 5ft 11 man's ideal weight is 9 stone?

Cooking isnt that hard. Cave men could do it

That doesn't really encourage a love of cooking though does it? That's just going through the basic motions. If people didn't see cooking as a chore and enjoyed it more, they'd experiment more.

"

What do you enjoy doing more.

The things your parents made you do as kid or the things you discovered for yourself as an adult

By who?

My doctors advice me not to go on bmi due to the fact I have odd body proportions. My healthy weight is meant to be 10 to 12 stone according to BMI. But idealy I am meant to be 9 stone :')"

9 stone is pretty damn underweight for a 5'11" man.

When i was 9 stone i looked liked I'd escaped a prison camp and im an inch shorter.

How much do you weigh noe?

By *irkby coupleCouple  over a year ago

Kirkby

i don't think being poor or rich has anything to do with it.

I think it's more to do with the type of food you eat, the amount you eat and mainly life style, do you spend all day sat in an office or are you a P.E teacher in a school?

aw. maybe.

"

Massive bulk carb meals not exactly the most sensible meal plan though

Andover

By who?

BMI is a load of tosh.

I'm about 5:10-11 and 13:'6 giving me a BMI of 27. This makes me significantly overweight.

Body fat at 9% suggest I'm probably not.

By who?

BMI is a load of tosh.

I'm about 5:10-11 and 13:'6 giving me a BMI of 27. This makes me significantly overweight.

Body fat at 9% suggest I'm probably not. "

It'll work for the average person though. Not many men have 9% body fat. You just need to rely on common sense and a visual check to see if you're overweight or not.

By who?

BMI is a load of tosh.

So because it does not work for you its a load of tosh?

Everybody knows it does not work in some cases, I have a daughter who lives in the gym, she's slim but quite muscular and toned, she's surprisingly heavier than she looks because we all know muscle weights heavier than fat, her BMI is over 25 which makes her over weight when she clearly is not

But for most people it does work

Andover

Hmmmmm, I'm not I'm not convinced. I know as many people it does not work as does. (That could just be the circles I move in though.

The "muscle weighs more than fat" is not true though. A pound of fat clearly weighs the same as a pound of muscle.

People usually use he addage to explain away being much heavier than they need to be just cos they use the gym and have some bulk.

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

I'm fat because I skip meals. My food intake isn't all that massive and actually some days it's hardly anything. However because I'm always on the go my body just holds everything. Then on a bad day I comfort eat..its something many of us are guilty of.

By who?

BMI is a load of tosh.

Says someone who clearly fits in the "those that work out lots" category and not the "most people" category....

By who?

BMI is a load of tosh.

So you'd be that small minority they specifically mentioned it did not apply to.

Most things are based around averages, especialt scales designed to quickly and easily asses tens of millions of people.

Can you imagine ONS or the NHS trying to faliper the whole fucking nation? Of course not.

But a simple test that can be done simply even via form rather than examination that works for 95% of the population is somethign that can actually be used toncollect meaningful data

"

The "muscle weighs more than fat" is not true though. A pound of fat clearly weighs the same as a pound of muscle.

"

You realise they're talking about density right?

1cm cubed of fat weighs less than 1cm cubed of muscle.

"I'm fat because I skip meals. My food intake isn't all that massive and actually some days it's hardly anything. However because I'm always on the go my body just holds everything. Then on a bad day I comfort eat..its something many of us are guilty of. "

And physics once again quietly weeps in the corner

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

in my opinion , fat people generally eat crap and probably dont exercise..because if u eat crap you have no energy to exercise..youve only got to look in fatties shopping trolley to see why theyre fat.. sure some may have "a condition" but i think theyre a minority..walk around the supermarket and look whats on sale..thats why theres so many fat people ..

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

" in my opinion , fat people generally eat crap and probably dont exercise..because if u eat crap you have no energy to exercise..youve only got to look in fatties shopping trolley to see why theyre fat.. sure some may have "a condition" but i think theyre a minority..walk around the supermarket and look whats on sale..thats why theres so many fat people ..

"

I don't shop. My slim other half does as he will happily drive around to get the best bargins. Since we've moved in together he's lost two stones as he no longer eats ready meals, pizzas etc, I cook everything fresh from scratch no salt or ready made sauces in this house.

Our lifestyles remain the same. Difference is I snack and don't move. He has a job on his hands getting me to go for a walk with him, so yep, I eat crap and loathe exercise.

I can't be that lazy as it's my house we live in, paid for by my hard work. I retire in five months at 56 and it will be my money earned sitting on my fat arse that will fund our move to Brighton.

Maybe the sea air will galvanise me to eat less and exercise more...what'd you reckon?!!

"Hmmmmm, I'm not I'm not convinced. I know as many people it does not work as does. (That could just be the circles I move in though.

"

It's the circles you move in. I'm a qualified personal trainer and I can tell you that BMI is a really good quick 'back of envelope' calculation that can give you an indication of how the average person is constructed. Not bodybuilders or athletes. It doesn't work for everyone - but most people aren't bodybuilders or athletes.

What the poster meant by that phrase was 'fat takes up more space than muscle'. So a fat person who weighs the same as a person who body-builds will be volumetrically larger. Fat takes up more space than muscle, just like a sponge takes up more space than the equivalent weight of metal.

Atlast a proper thread ...

About time we had a good serious debate on here . Instead of the usual " what do u prefer " crap threads

Is Fab finally getting intellectual ??

By *incs-chancerMan  over a year ago

east coast

There's alsorts of reason ppl are over weight

Health problems mental health issue' stress so on so on ... i would think although what food u tend to eat could contribute I think it's more down to the lifestyle

Not necessarily. Aldi do 6 veg/fruit a week for less than 50p.

Advertising and portion sizes are a lot to blame. Plus convenience, preparing a meal from scratch can seem more hassle than a ping meal. We need to re educate people.

Sarah

Andover

"I'm fat because I skip meals. My food intake isn't all that massive and actually some days it's hardly anything. However because I'm always on the go my body just holds everything. Then on a bad day I comfort eat..its something many of us are guilty of.

And physics once again quietly weeps in the corner"

LOL

"Atlast a proper thread ...

About time we had a good serious debate on here . Instead of the usual " what do u prefer " crap threads

Is Fab finally getting intellectual ??"

Dunno....where's your intellectual input??

Andover

"Hmmmmm, I'm not I'm not convinced. I know as many people it does not work as does. (That could just be the circles I move in though.

It's the circles you move in. I'm a qualified personal trainer and I can tell you that BMI is a really good quick 'back of envelope' calculation that can give you an indication of how the average person is constructed. Not bodybuilders or athletes. It doesn't work for everyone - but most people aren't bodybuilders or athletes.

What the poster meant by that phrase was 'fat takes up more space than muscle'. So a fat person who weighs the same as a person who body-builds will be volumetrically larger. Fat takes up more space than muscle, just like a sponge takes up more space than the equivalent weight of metal."

Very good point. Never looked at it from a volumetric point of vue before and it puts the "fat weighs more than muscle" phrase into a new context.

Every day is a school day.

Is Fab finally getting intellectual ??"

No, this thread is basically just another thinly veiled discussion about how shit poor people are.

We're fat...but we're very rich...should we feel ostracised?

By *oxesMan  over a year ago

Southend, Essex

as health care professinal and the fact that I have learbt about this both in an educatinal setting and from experience.

what you find is that for the most part, altgough all areas vary; is that there is perception that processed food mainly is a cheaper and b good for you and c a perceptiin of a lack of time to eat healthy d a misunderstanding or confusion over research.

a) processed foods in the uk (that's anything that has been tampered from its natural state: maegarines and spreads, salted/smmoked meats, flamented,injected,hydroganated,chemically created, chemically altered, dyed/bleached, artificial flavourings, reformed etc) vary in prices and brands, ready meals certainky are not cheap 5pounds plus a pack. meats yes it depends on what you buy. for the most part you are buying convenience and that costs.

b) anything not it natural state is harder to digest and also creates poor cells which intern prevents nutrient intake into cells. chemicals the body has bot yet evolved to deal with therefore it stores these in fat cells.

cite or lack of energy is often used or cited as barier to exercise or eating healthy weird thing is and ironicaly over 90% of people have the time to spend 1/2 -1h to exercise and the same amount of time planning and shopping for healthy food as they do un healthy. also eating healthy will give them tge energy they need. also petson spends 4hrs in front of a tvvso really its a mater of perception of time and priorities.

"as health care professinal and the fact that I have learbt about this both in an educatinal setting and from experience.

what you find is that for the most part, altgough all areas vary; is that there is perception that processed food mainly is a cheaper and b good for you and c a perceptiin of a lack of time to eat healthy d a misunderstanding or confusion over research.

a) processed foods in the uk (that's anything that has been tampered from its natural state: maegarines and spreads, salted/smmoked meats, flamented,injected,hydroganated,chemically created, chemically altered, dyed/bleached, artificial flavourings, reformed etc) vary in prices and brands, ready meals certainky are not cheap 5pounds plus a pack. meats yes it depends on what you buy. for the most part you are buying convenience and that costs.

b) anything not it natural state is harder to digest and also creates poor cells which intern prevents nutrient intake into cells. chemicals the body has bot yet evolved to deal with therefore it stores these in fat cells.

cite or lack of energy is often used or cited as barier to exercise or eating healthy weird thing is and ironicaly over 90% of people have the time to spend 1/2 -1h to exercise and the same amount of time planning and shopping for healthy food as they do un healthy. also eating healthy will give them tge energy they need. also petson spends 4hrs in front of a tvvso really its a mater of perception of time and priorities."

By health care professional i assume you don't mean any job that required any knowledge of biology fundamentals?

"anything not it natural state is harder to digest and also creates poor cells which intern prevents nutrient intake into cells. chemicals the body has bot yet evolved to deal with therefore it stores these in fat cells"

This paragraph alone is hilariously wrong.

"Natural state" being vauge to the point of uselessness aside the most common processing technique used by humans is....cooking which does aid digestion of many things.

"Creates poor cells" no, just no.

Phospholipids and protiens etc are not going to be affected by what you eat.

Atoms don't have memory....wait a second youre not a homeopath are you as that would actually explain this.

People keep going on about cheap fruit and veg but you also need protein and carbs. Meat is only cheap when it has water pumped into it or cereal added or fat left in to bulk up the weight. Beans and pulses are relatively cheap,depending on which ones you buy but can cause havoc on a sensitive digestive system. I tried that diet

"People keep going on about cheap fruit and veg but you also need protein and carbs. Meat is only cheap when it has water pumped into it or cereal added or fat left in to bulk up the weight. Beans and pulses are relatively cheap,depending on which ones you buy but can cause havoc on a sensitive digestive system. I tried that diet "

Not really just read packets, wholesalers like makro are very good too.

As it's meant for caterers theres no point injecting water to bulk up size.

Makro chicken hardly shrinks compared to most supermarket chicken

You realise fruit are basicsly pure carbs too.

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

Going to the market for fruit, veg and meat can be a cheaper option. They do bulk buying/job lots on some stuff and is usually locally sourced too

Put it down to ready meals, takeaways and just not being assed to cook proper food.

You can eat well for reasonable money shop around and get cheaper veg.

You don't have to eat lots of meat for the protine.

"Going to the market for fruit, veg and meat can be a cheaper option. They do bulk buying/job lots on some stuff and is usually locally sourced too"

Just remember they can go off a little quicker

Andover

I stick to a diet that revolves around eating my more than 200g of carbs a day, no less than 200g of protein and no more than 50g of fat and it has always served me pretty well without the need to pay much attention to calories.

It means avoiding the carbs a fair bit but to be honest, the time you get that much chicken and tuna down your neck your pretty much done anyway. (You wouldn't want to share a lift with me often though, lots of broccoli and protein is a dodgy mix)

Is Fab finally getting intellectual ??

No, this thread is basically just another thinly veiled discussion about how shit poor people are."

This is what you're taking from this thread

Please excuse me but no one is insulting anyone and this a civil discussion about fast food being cheaper than healthy organic food.

This is more a attack on the food industry than on poor people.

By *oxesMan  over a year ago

Southend, Essex

"as health care professinal and the fact that I have learbt about this both in an educatinal setting and from experience.

cite or lack of energy is often used or cited as barier to exercise or eating healthy weird thing is and ironicaly over 90% of people have the time to spend 1/2 -1h to exercise and the same amount of time planning and shopping for healthy food as they do un healthy. also eating healthy will give them tge energy they need. also petson spends 4hrs in front of a tvvso really its a mater of perception of time and priorities.

By health care professional i assume you don't mean any job that required any knowledge of biology fundamentals?

"anything not it natural state is harder to digest and also creates poor cells which intern prevents nutrient intake into cells. chemicals the body has bot yet evolved to deal with therefore it stores these in fat cells"

"Natural state" being vauge to the point of uselessness aside the most common processing technique used by humans is....cooking which does aid digestion of many things.

Atoms don't have memory....wait a second youre not a homeopath are you as that would actually explain this."

no I have a degree insports science aand curently, working as a PT, learning level3 nutrition for physical activaty course.

fats form cell walls, so therefore logically formated fats so hydroginated fats (cheap vegitable oil formed into solids), fats that are chemically created form poor cells vecause the body utilises the fats to formulate the chemical compounds of the cellwalls.

research works by Rhonda Patrick, Kris-etherton et al 2002.

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

"Going to the market for fruit, veg and meat can be a cheaper option. They do bulk buying/job lots on some stuff and is usually locally sourced too

Just remember they can go off a little quicker "

There is that but some of the veg you could blanch them and freeze as well as the meat

"Going to the market for fruit, veg and meat can be a cheaper option. They do bulk buying/job lots on some stuff and is usually locally sourced too

There is that but some of the veg you could blanch them and freeze as well as the meat "

My mom use to freeze bread... For the life of me I could never eat it after it was frozen.

She was from a different era

There is that but some of the veg you could blanch them and freeze as well as the meat "

Might as well just buy frozen veg if your going to do that....

Atoms don't have memory....wait a second youre not a homeopath are you as that would actually explain this.

no I have a degree insports science aand curently, working as a PT, learning level3 nutrition for physical activaty course.

fats form cell walls, so therefore logically formated fats so hydroginated fats (cheap vegitable oil formed into solids), fats that are chemically created form poor cells vecause the body utilises the fats to formulate the chemical compounds of the cellwalls.

research works by Rhonda Patrick, Kris-etherton

et al 2002."

Yep thought so.

And yes i did cite phospholipids (the molecules cell walls are made up from)

Your body makes them from the gound up hydrogonated fats will have no effect on thier formation.