FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > Trans Toilet Question

Trans Toilet Question

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

I just heard that some states in America are currently looking to legislate as to which toilets can be used by transgender people. I wondered if trans people in the UK ever have any problems with this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nope.

If your dressed as a woman, use the ladies toilet. It's not against the law in this country.

be more silly if we went in the mens stood next to em as a woman lol ive always gone in the ladies and had no problems at all

By *atietvsheffTV/TS  over a year ago

Sheffield

Damned if you do damned if you don't , you risk offending ladies and getting thrown out of places if you go in the ladies and risk getting abuse and potentially a kicking if you go in the men's, use a disabled you don't get any abuse in sexually but the principle of using a disabled when you are not is also a moral issue, however I have used disabled (when not dressed as Katie) when on a night out to fuck a woman and many of my friends have used disabled for the same thing (more space) so take out the morals and the disabled is the safest place

As long as they don't piss on the seat I couldn't care less if a tv/ts or cd used the ladies,cock or no cock. I wonder how many use the men's when they see the humungous queue for the ladies.

not me I sit down as a lady

By *lare GTV/TS  over a year ago

South of Sleaford

I always use the Ladies loo and have never had a problem or even a look. However, I do dress how women of my age present themselves and rarely wear high heels 'out and about'.

I always 'sit down'.

Cambridge

I'm glad to hear that it's not a problem in the UK. Seriously don't those politicians have anything more important to discuss?

"I just heard that some states in America are currently looking to legislate as to which toilets can be used by transgender people. I wondered if trans people in the UK ever have any problems with this?

"

Yes, there is a really good essay written by Judith/Jack Halberstam on 'the bathroom problem' for transpeople.

It discusses how ftm people (like myself) face issues of violence when using the men's bathrooms - and I can confirm that this is true.

When dressed as male I make women in bathrooms feel uncomfortable though. So I would personally prefer to risk violence than make lots of women uncomfortable. I would not like the state to force me to make women uncomfortable.

I honestly am not too fussed about this subject where it involves only adults but its a conversation I am not ready to have with my 9 year old daughter.

Before anyone immediately fires off an outraged message, I am not suggesting that some predatory trannie is likely to assault my daughter in a public toilet.

It is just a subject that is way too layered to be explained properly to a small child if she sees a bloke in a dress next to her in the loo.

"I honestly am not too fussed about this subject where it involves only adults but its a conversation I am not ready to have with my 9 year old daughter.

Before anyone immediately fires off an outraged message, I am not suggesting that some predatory trannie is likely to assault my daughter in a public toilet.

It is just a subject that is way too layered to be explained properly to a small child if she sees a bloke in a dress next to her in the loo."

Well, it might help if you don't tell your kids that they are 'blokes in dresses'. They are women.

If you tell your nine year old daughter that it's a woman (if she even cares and asks) then I bet she wouldn't even question it - and that's one more kid brought up to know tolerance rather than judgement towards transpeople.

"As long as they don't piss on the seat I couldn't care less if a tv/ts or cd used the ladies,cock or no cock. I wonder how many use the men's when they see the humungous queue for the ladies. "

I use the mens' if there's a big queue. Don't see the point in segregating genders when you need a wee, but it probably was because men were sick of all the women in the queue.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

"I just heard that some states in America are currently looking to legislate as to which toilets can be used by transgender people. I wondered if trans people in the UK ever have any problems with this?

Yes, there is a really good essay written by Judith/Jack Halberstam on 'the bathroom problem' for transpeople.

It discusses how ftm people (like myself) face issues of violence when using the men's bathrooms - and I can confirm that this is true.

When dressed as male I make women in bathrooms feel uncomfortable though. So I would personally prefer to risk violence than make lots of women uncomfortable. I would not like the state to force me to make women uncomfortable."

I'm sorry you experienced violence.

I had to think about my post as this is a tricky one but your post made it easy.

I think your safety is paramount over how others feel. You're only having taking a 1 and 2. While it's considerate of you to take others feelings into account, you won't be thanked for it and it's not worth taking a beating for. But having said that, some situations will be different. A leisure centre will be different to a nightclub. A park will be different to an office.

So keep safety in mind first and being comfortable second.

"I honestly am not too fussed about this subject where it involves only adults but its a conversation I am not ready to have with my 9 year old daughter.

It is just a subject that is way too layered to be explained properly to a small child if she sees a bloke in a dress next to her in the loo.

Well, it might help if you don't tell your kids that they are 'blokes in dresses'. They are women.

If you tell your nine year old daughter that it's a woman (if she even cares and asks) then I bet she wouldn't even question it - and that's one more kid brought up to know tolerance rather than judgement towards transpeople."

I would vigorously deny that she is brought up to be intolerant towards anyone. I am delighted to recognise that she is totally accepting and unprejudiced about these sorts of things.

However lets not be naïve & suggest that she doesn't notice or care about these things. Children are very observant.

When adults cannot even agree the correct protocol I am not sure how children can be expected to understand.

Incidentally I don't agree with your comment "they are women". I can wear a Manchester United top and it doesn't make me Wayne Rooney.

"Incidentally I don't agree with your comment "they are women". I can wear a Manchester United top and it doesn't make me Wayne Rooney."

Of course they are women. They aren't men. If someone self-identifies as a woman, then they are a woman. That is good enough for me.

"Woman" does not mean "born with a vagina".

By *itTVlondonTV/TS  over a year ago

London

I always use the Ladies and have had some fun chats in them in front of mirrors esp. been given make-up tips. It s such good fun Love it!

"

If you tell your nine year old daughter that it's a woman (if she even cares and asks) then I bet she wouldn't even question it - and that's one more kid brought up to know tolerance rather than judgement towards transpeople."

"Incidentally I don't agree with your comment "they are women". I can wear a Manchester United top and it doesn't make me Wayne Rooney.

Of course they are women. They aren't men. If someone self-identifies as a woman, then they are a woman. That is good enough for me.

"Woman" does not mean "born with a vagina"."

Ok than maybe I am Wayne Rooney then

It's definitely a British issue, over on the continent you get a lot of unisex toilets.

As all men know you should avoid eye contact and get in and out as fast as possible so your unlikely to notice anyone else.

I reckon the problem is women who rarely use public toilets for anything other than chatting and make up which gives them far too much time to critique and analyse what everyone else is doing.

By *4nc3rCouple  over a year ago

Clacton-On-Sea, Essex

If I was trans I would use whichever had the shortest queue!! Haha or made me feel comfortable!

In fairness, even now if there was an issue in the women's I would just go in the men's, and I wouldn't bat an eye lid if a man walked into the women's aslong as he used a cubicle and not a sink lmao

Remember when I was pregnant and out shopping women's toilet was shut for cleaning, I asked the cleaners to open disabled and they refused and told me to go somewhere else... So I just went in the mens

In fairness not one of the 3 blokes in there batted an eyelid as the attendant shouted that I wasn't allowed and I just retorted with "I'm past my due date already do I look like I care where I take a piss you're lucky it's not in your mop bucket" lol

"Incidentally I don't agree with your comment "they are women". I can wear a Manchester United top and it doesn't make me Wayne Rooney.

And it certainly doesnt mean born with a penis

You can identify yourself as whatever you like to yourself but do you think its a good thing to lie to children?

I have accidently used the ladies I even remember thinking how weird there are no urinals, wasn't until I was in the cubicle, and heard people filtering in realised my error

Ok than maybe I am Wayne Rooney then "

I'm Batman

You can identify yourself as whatever you like to yourself but do you think its a good thing to lie to children?"

I would love to carry that idea on and apply it to fab too, no more curvy, bbw or fabulous body types to choose from, you can put your height and weight in and fab will then classify you as ideal, under weight or obese!

Not really but you can see how being factually correct can still be the wrong thing.

You can identify yourself as whatever you like to yourself but do you think its a good thing to lie to children?

I would love to carry that idea on and apply it to fab too, no more curvy, bbw or fabulous body types to choose from, you can put your height and weight in and fab will then classify you as ideal, under weight or obese!

Not really but you can see how being factually correct can still be the wrong thing."

No

By *ransGuyTV/TS  over a year ago

Cardiff

This came out on Transgender Facebook groups a while back, thankfully it's not going to happen.

The thing that made me laugh is that the people who wanted to enforce this were up in arms about trans women using the ladies but they had totally forgotten about trans men!

The idea is to keep "men" out of women's bathrooms but actually what they would be doing is making men use their bathrooms!

I don't think they would be too happy about me walking in as they use the bathroom!

[Removed by poster at 07/05/15 19:25:16]

"

You can identify yourself as whatever you like to yourself but do you think its a good thing to lie to children?"

Suggest you read up on what transgender and genderqueer means.

Because the only person lying to children is the person telling them that a transwoman is a bloke.

So guys on here can contact people on here who are only looking for single women and say 'I'm a woman' ?

That could work eh

"So guys on here can contact people on here who are only looking for single women and say 'I'm a woman' ?

That could work eh "

No, guys can't.

But women can. And some people who were identified as 'male' at birth are now considered women for various reasons.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

I thought this was originally simply about people using gender-specific loos, and in effect, the trans community simply got caught in the cross-fire.

Most parents have faced the difficulty of which toilet do you use when you are with young children, and certainly I would never have been comfortable using the ladies. Young children on the other hand soon reach an age when they refuse to use what.they see as 'the wrong toilet'.

Nowadays we have increasing numbers of unisex loos for parents and 'disabled' people or whoever.

Job sorted?

Mr ddc

"

Because the only person lying to children is the person telling them that a transwoman is a bloke."

So you've said it yourself, a transwoman isnt a woman its a transwoman

"

Nowadays we have increasing numbers of unisex loos for parents and 'disabled' people or whoever.

Job sorted?

Mr ddc"

Nope. I'm not a parent and I'm not disabled. Therefore changing toilets for parents and disabled toilets are not suitable for me.

The fact that my birth assigned gender does not match with my adult brain does not make me disabled. I just want to use the toilet that I am most comfortable with, without fear of gossiping or repercussion.

Cardiff

"

Because the only person lying to children is the person telling them that a transwoman is a bloke.

So you've said it yourself, a transwoman isnt a woman its a transwoman"

We say "transwomen" and "transmen" to make it easier for people to understand what we are explaining.

By *pple16Man  over a year ago

Macclesfield

comply with your passport!

"

We say "transwomen" and "transmen" to make it easier for people to understand what we are explaining."

So why not say that to the child

Cardiff

"comply with your passport!"

I'm good then, I had that changed years ago

Cardiff

"

We say "transwomen" and "transmen" to make it easier for people to understand what we are explaining.

So why not say that to the child"

Personally I have no issue with that, just don't call me a woman or a trans woman a bloke

"

So you've said it yourself, a transwoman isnt a woman its a transwoman"

Firstly, a transwoman is not an 'it'. The correct pronoun is 'she'.

I am merely using the term trans to indicate someone that has transitioned to a different gender to the one they were identified as at birth. I also use the term cis when relevant to refer to those who live as the gender that they were assigned at birth.

A transwoman is a woman, just as a ciswoman is a woman.

Cambridge

I don't think we can just build more toilets.

"comply with your passport!"

Passport doesn't offer an option for 'other'. Living in a world with a bigender paradigm is very difficult sometimes when you don't fit into one or the other.

"I don't think we can just build more toilets. "

Make them all unisex!

On a related note - when the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford was refurbished all the toilets were made unisex. There is just a short corridor with different completely enclosed cubicles - each with their own sink and bin.

It's BRILLIANT and exactly how it should be done.

Cardiff

"I don't think we can just build more toilets.

Make them all unisex!

On a related note - when the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford was refurbished all the toilets were made unisex. There is just a short corridor with different completely enclosed cubicles - each with their own sink and bin.

It's BRILLIANT and exactly how it should be done."

I saw that, I was quite impressed

Cambridge

The toilets at the Vanilla Alternative are unisex

Derbyshire

"

Job sorted?

Mr ddc

Nope. I'm not a parent and I'm not disabled. Therefore changing toilets for parents and disabled toilets are not suitable for me.

The fact that my birth assigned gender does not match with my adult brain does not make me disabled. I just want to use the toilet that I am most comfortable with, without fear of gossiping or repercussion."

No you misunderstand.

Increasingly what used to be called the disabled loos are open to everyone. Hence they are accessible, unisex toilets.

Using them does not make you disabled, and I would not imply it so.

I believe advice is to use the ladies for safety reasons if a unisex toilet is not available.

Again, I was simply trying to provide context.

"

So why not say that to the child"

I can imagine you in a toilet with your child interrogating people on their identity lol Are you sure the issue is with the child or are you projecting your issue onto them?

"

Firstly, a transwoman is not an 'it'. The correct pronoun is 'she'.

I am merely using the term trans to indicate someone that has transitioned to a different gender to the one they were identified as at birth. I also use the term cis when relevant to refer to those who live as the gender that they were assigned at birth.

A transwoman is a woman, just as a ciswoman is a woman."

Which would make more sense to a child who asks why is that bloke in a frock and much less confusing than simply saying its a woman

"

Which would make more sense to a child who asks why is that bloke in a frock and much less confusing than simply saying its a woman"

What if the person is a masculine ciswoman?

Some toilets in my workplace are designated gender neutral

"

Which would make more sense to a child who asks why is that bloke in a frock and much less confusing than simply saying its a woman

What if the person is a masculine ciswoman?"

Wasp Hunter has won this thread over and over, good on you for explaining it to those who just don't seem to be able to understand it.

Some people are so bloody ignorant. I feel sorry for their kids. I don't even care if this statement annoys people, it makes me so angry

Be more open minded ffs. People are people. Share the love. Simple.

Derbyshire

"

Some people are so bloody ignorant. I feel sorry for their kids. I don't even care if this statement annoys people, it makes me so angry

"

Just to clarify, are you including me in your "anyone who doesn't see things my way is ignorant" rant?

I didn't even realise these threads were a competition to win or lose...

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

You can always use the disabled toilet, yes it is frowned upon. Just apologise in your male voice and sometimes you get away with it.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

When dressed as male I make women in bathrooms feel uncomfortable though. So ."

I find that hard to believe, are you sure thats just not your own thinking? There are lots of women who use public toilets who are masculine looking.

"

Just to clarify, are you including me in your "anyone who doesn't see things my way is ignorant" rant?

I didn't even realise these threads were a competition to win or lose..."

I didn't mean win as in a competition. Excuse my inability to be articulate

Ignorance breeds ignorance. It is my belief that avoiding telling children what someone really is, a woman in this case... be it trans or cis, is ignorant.

If my opinion offends you sir/madam/whatever you identify as, then block me.

"

When dressed as male I make women in bathrooms feel uncomfortable though. So .

I find that hard to believe, are you sure thats just not your own thinking? There are lots of women who use public toilets who are masculine looking."

I'm not 'masculine looking', when I dress as a man I look like a man. People therefore think that there is a bloke in the women's loos and rightfully ask me if I'm in the right place or suggest that I should leave.

I am genderqueer. Sometimes I present as male. Not as a woman dressing up as a man, but as male.

Derbyshire

"

If my opinion offends you sir/madam/whatever you identify as, then block me. "

Your opinion of me being ignorant and your reference to my children would only offend me if you were talking about me. Hence my simple request for clarification.

I can understand these gender thingies can be tricky, but when I am clearly signed as 'Mr ddc'....

But feel free to call me madam, I've been called worse

Apparently in law, as explained to me recently in an official diversity course, if you consider yourself to be of a particular gender, you are entitled to use the toilets designated for that gender. The law changed a few years back.

By *ickawitchCouple  over a year ago

Away with the fairies (Liverpool to you)

I have found children to be inquisitive and naturally more accepting than a lot of people give them credit for....certainly a lot more accepting than some adults in the same situation

Cardiff

"I have found children to be inquisitive and naturally more accepting than a lot of people give them credit for....certainly a lot more accepting than some adults in the same situation "

Very true. An open mind is a wonderful thing, until narrow minded views spool it.

By *ingersoloWoman  over a year ago

Oldham

Children are open minded and as adults we should encourage acceptance at every opportunity. In my daughter's words (about 6 or 7 at the time) you are who you feel you are, and that's a person.

Anyway as far as the toilet debate, I think you should be able to use the toilet you feel most comfortable with and public places should be encouraged to have more unisex bathrooms where possible.

"

What if the person is a masculine ciswoman?

Wasp Hunter has won this thread over and over, good on you for explaining it to those who just don't seem to be able to understand it.

Be more open minded ffs. People are people. Share the love. Simple. "

I'll give you one thing mate...the profile name fits

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

"

I find that hard to believe, are you sure thats just not your own thinking? There are lots of women who use public toilets who are masculine looking.

I'm not 'masculine looking', when I dress as a man I look like a man. People therefore think that there is a bloke in the women's loos and rightfully ask me if I'm in the right place or suggest that I should leave.

I am genderqueer. Sometimes I present as male. Not as a woman dressing up as a man, but as male."

So why do it then? Why not just go to the mens if you look and have dressed like a man? If your appearance is convincing enough for women to mistake you as a male, then won't the men also?

I've seen TV's TS's using the urinals in Pub/Clubs on Canal Street, Manchester.

I don't think it was a gender thing. I just don't think they could be arsed queuing up to use the ladies!

"

I am genderqueer. Sometimes I present as male. Not as a woman dressing up as a man, but as male.

So why do it then? Why not just go to the mens if you look and have dressed like a man? If your appearance is convincing enough for women to mistake you as a male, then won't the men also?"

Because there are markers that give you away. At a glance or when being polite it's fine, but on closer examination you can tell.

And we all know the attitudes of many men when they think you're a 'fag' or a 'nonce'. When that kind of thing kicks off you hope it's just going to be verbal abuse, sexual assault or being disrespectfully made sexual comments about such as dyke, etc, but I've been smacked and called a kiddy-fiddler before too. Told it was disgusting I use the men's loos to look for little boys.

As you can see in this very thread - some people believe that letting kids see transpeople in a bathroom is wrong. If that's the reaction I got from being a 'dyke' in a men's bathroom, what reaction should the 'men in dresses' fear using the men's toilet?

"

So why do it then? Why not just go to the mens if you look and have dressed like a man? If your appearance is convincing enough for women to mistake you as a male, then won't the men also?

Because there are markers that give you away. At a glance or when being polite it's fine, but on closer examination you can tell.

And we all know the attitudes of many men when they think you're a 'fag' or a 'nonce'. When that kind of thing kicks off you hope it's just going to be verbal abuse, sexual assault or being disrespectfully made sexual comments about such as dyke, etc, but I've been smacked and called a kiddy-fiddler before too. Told it was disgusting I use the men's loos to look for little boys.

As you can see in this very thread - some people believe that letting kids see transpeople in a bathroom is wrong. If that's the reaction I got from being a 'dyke' in a men's bathroom, what reaction should the 'men in dresses' fear using the men's toilet?"

Never read such rubbish or a distortion of what people have said on this 'very thread'

"

As you can see in this very thread - some people believe that letting kids see transpeople in a bathroom is wrong. (...)

Never read such rubbish or a distortion of what people have said on this 'very thread'"

Someone above said that transpeople shouldn't use bathrooms if there are kids about.

I didn't say anything other than that.

Cardiff

Unfortunately public toilets can be very uncomfortable and unsafe places for trans people to use.

Sometimes it's because people are openly negative to them, the majority of the time it's because of the fear that people will act negatively towards them.

Attitudes like "men in frocks" don't help, neither does the bitchiness of some women or caveman attitude of some men.

Also the supposed rules of how to use a public toilet really don't help. For example the things that transmen get told would actually make them more nervous and vulnerable - keep your eyes glued to the floor, don't say a single word, noone sits to pee, noone makes a sound when peeing. The number of times I've gone "Oh for fucks sake! Way to go making yourself look like a scared little boy who shouldn't be there!"

Toilets are just that - places to pee and poo! So who cares what you look like. You go in with the confidence of someone who wants to relieve themselves, you wash your hands, you walk out. You just need to be aware of what's going on around you (which you can't do staring at the floor) because if someone is going to give you hassle, and this type of person will do whether you're trans or not, you'll be able to see it coming.

Trans people aren't freaks, they aren't predators (do you really think predators would make that much effort), they are just human beings who need to pee and poo, sometimes when they are out and about, just like everyone else, so who cares that you may have spotted one, just mind your own business, it's really that simple

"I'll give you one thing mate...the profile name fits"

Thanks "mate"

"

As you can see in this very thread - some people believe that letting kids see transpeople in a bathroom is wrong. If that's the reaction I got from being a 'dyke' in a men's bathroom, what reaction should the 'men in dresses' fear using the men's toilet?"

Personally, when in femme mode, I always use the ladies loo. Let's face it; you shut yourself in a cubicle anyhow.

I do keep them guessing, is she isn't he, when I'm in a nice dress so it would create way more of a stir in the gents loo. I never stand to pee anyway. Never have.

As for people like me being women; my mind set is that of a woman when I'm dressed. I don't care how others view it. If I'm made up and dressed up, in my head I'm a girl.

Cambridge

I'm a cis male. I can't remember ever noticing a trans person in a public toilet, so maybe you guys slip under the radar more often than you think.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I've witnessed many women coming into the gents at nightclubs.... Rather than cueing for the ladies they'll use the gents instead, in some cases I've seen them use the sinks.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

"

I find that hard to believe, are you sure thats just not your own thinking? There are lots of women who use public toilets who are masculine looking."

That did cross my mind, I won't lie.

Cardiff

"I'm a cis male. I can't remember ever noticing a trans person in a public toilet, so maybe you guys slip under the radar more often than you think. "

It is generally easier for transmen to "pass" than it is for transwomen so we aren't as noticeable.

I think that's why we tend to be forgotten when people kick off about certain issues, like the bathroom thing in America, people tend to forget that transgender does just mean male to female. But then worryingly it seems that quite a few people think that transgender means a guy in really bad drag

[Removed by poster at 08/05/15 19:03:49]

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Why not just your the accessible toilets, there no longer just for disabled people but for anyone. Majority of places have accessible toilets, if I'm dying for a wee I don't care which toilet I use.

In Belgium they have unisex toilets but even the ones that arnt its pot luck whose in there.

"Unfortunately public toilets can be very uncomfortable and unsafe places for trans people to use.

Sometimes it's because people are openly negative to them, the majority of the time it's because of the fear that people will act negatively towards them.

Attitudes like "men in frocks" don't help, neither does the bitchiness of some women or caveman attitude of some men.

Also the supposed rules of how to use a public toilet really don't help. For example the things that transmen get told would actually make them more nervous and vulnerable - keep your eyes glued to the floor, don't say a single word, noone sits to pee, noone makes a sound when peeing. The number of times I've gone "Oh for fucks sake! Way to go making yourself look like a scared little boy who shouldn't be there!"

Toilets are just that - places to pee and poo! So who cares what you look like. You go in with the confidence of someone who wants to relieve themselves, you wash your hands, you walk out. You just need to be aware of what's going on around you (which you can't do staring at the floor) because if someone is going to give you hassle, and this type of person will do whether you're trans or not, you'll be able to see it coming.

Trans people aren't freaks, they aren't predators (do you really think predators would make that much effort), they are just human beings who need to pee and poo, sometimes when they are out and about, just like everyone else, so who cares that you may have spotted one, just mind your own business, it's really that simple "

This is all in your head. Nobody gives a toss who uses the toilet. And certainly don't give anyone a 'close inspection' when they walk in. Stop playing the victims all the time

"This is all in your head. Nobody gives a toss who uses the toilet. And certainly don't give anyone a 'close inspection' when they walk in. Stop playing the victims all the time"

I just googled and there are reports and surveys backing up what they're saying, and worse stuff as well.

Derbyshire

"

Now we have had some interesting discussions in the past, but I am beginning to think you simply like to misrepresent what people say and/or deliberately misunderstand them. Whether this is to play the victim, to wind people up, or for some other curious purpose which I cannot begin to understand I do not know. However no-one on this thread suggested you were a kiddy fiddler, nor that you shouldn't be around children, nor that you were called disabled. I'm not even sure everything is all about you (surely if you are a woman, as your profile descriptor states, you use the ladies)

It is interesting that this thread has many TV/TSs who manage without problems, so may I respectfully suggest that perhaps it is your attitude that is causing you problems, not your sexuality.

Mr ddc

"

As you can see in this very thread - some people believe that letting kids see transpeople in a bathroom is wrong. If that's the reaction I got from being a 'dyke' in a men's bathroom, what reaction should the 'men in dresses' fear using the men's toilet?

Now we have had some interesting discussions in the past, but I am beginning to think you simply like to misrepresent what people say and/or deliberately misunderstand them. Whether this is to play the victim, to wind people up, or for some other curious purpose which I cannot begin to understand I do not know. However no-one on this thread suggested you were a kiddy fiddler, nor that you shouldn't be around children, nor that you were called disabled. I'm not even sure everything is all about you (surely if you are a woman, as your profile descriptor states, you use the ladies)

It is interesting that this thread has many TV/TSs who manage without problems, so may I respectfully suggest that perhaps it is your attitude that is causing you problems, not your sexuality.

Mr ddc"

"This is all in your head. Nobody gives a toss who uses the toilet. And certainly don't give anyone a 'close inspection' when they walk in. Stop playing the victims all the time

I just googled and there are reports and surveys backing up what they're saying, and worse stuff as well."

Ye, its that common that you had to google it. No experience of it then

I've been in places which weren't what you might think as trans friendly and had a good natter in the ladies. Only once did I ever have trouble, I was threaten from the husband of a woman in a pub I'd been going dressed in for months in case I saw her bits. If I had I'd probably have thrown up in all honesty so maybe he was doing it for my protection? He didn't say anything though to the 2 drag queen's but then again they was gay whereas I was bi.

"

I didn't even realise these threads were a competition to win or lose...

I didn't mean win as in a competition. Excuse my inability to be articulate

Ignorance breeds ignorance. It is my belief that avoiding telling children what someone really is, a woman in this case... be it trans or cis, is ignorant.

If my opinion offends you sir/madam/whatever you identify as, then block me. "

I do have kids and if they ask me a question I answer them, there and then. Factually and to the Point, no messing round trying to create fluffy lies. I refuse to create a mystique around anything that as a.society many of us struggle to understand or tolerate it is my.job to educate them not confuse. I am proud to say that At the ages of 6 and 9 they both understand thE fabulously diverse ways in which people are made and live their lives and even create their families. Kids are not idiots do not make them stupid by feeding them confusing fluff.

Cambridge

If people aren't trans themselves, then they won't have encountered it themselves. That's why the original post was aimed at the trans community on the site.

I am a heterosexual cis man, married to a cis woman in rural Cambridgeshire. I don't know any trans people, or really any people from the LGBT community. I want to live in a more Sex Positive world and have a better understanding of the issues facing the LGBT community. So I asked the question to try to find out if this is an issue.

No matter what your sexual orientation we all need to use public toilets and I think it's terrible if one section of society can't.

Cardiff

"This is all in your head. Nobody gives a toss who uses the toilet. And certainly don't give anyone a 'close inspection' when they walk in. Stop playing the victims all the time"

I've never played the victim, and I actually agree, most of the trans guys I have spoken to fear what they *think* *may* happen not what happens in reality. Yes some have bad experiences but sometimes when they explain what happened you can see where they have actually made it worse for themselves. The majority of guys I have spoken to have turned a "Idiot seeing an easy target" into "Idiot now knowing that his target is trans, so in his head his target is now a woman out of her depth".

I'm not saying trans people make themselves targets, just that some of the young ones or ones early in their transition make it all about what they *think* others see, which quite often is far from the truth, until a narrow minded person comes along and proves them right ... They are so worried about what people think and looking or acting the "wrong" way that they make themselves look vulnerable.

Transmen don't get as much hassle as transwomen but it still happens, it's just not shouted about.

I have observed that sometimes discussion becomes heated or frustrated because of how interchangeable the terms (and concept) of sex and gender are in modern language. Yet they are quite fundamentally different.

I occasionally visit canal street in Manchester. The pubs I've been in there all have unisex loos. Seems a pretty simple solution. I'd miss me trough though lol.

Cambridge

"This is all in your head. Nobody gives a toss who uses the toilet. And certainly don't give anyone a 'close inspection' when they walk in. Stop playing the victims all the time

I've never played the victim, and I actually agree, most of the trans guys I have spoken to fear what they *think* *may* happen not what happens in reality. Yes some have bad experiences but sometimes when they explain what happened you can see where they have actually made it worse for themselves. The majority of guys I have spoken to have turned a "Idiot seeing an easy target" into "Idiot now knowing that his target is trans, so in his head his target is now a woman out of her depth".

I'm not saying trans people make themselves targets, just that some of the young ones or ones early in their transition make it all about what they *think* others see, which quite often is far from the truth, until a narrow minded person comes along and proves them right ... They are so worried about what people think and looking or acting the "wrong" way that they make themselves look vulnerable.

Transmen don't get as much hassle as transwomen but it still happens, it's just not shouted about."

As with all things, the fear is genuine, whether the threat is real or perceived

Cardiff

"As with all things, the fear is genuine, whether the threat is real or perceived "

Very true. I've been one of the lucky ones where I have been mistaken for male from when I was around 16/17 maybe even earlier but I still went through fearing people finding out, until you're comfortable in your own skin and confident that's what you do.

It's like feeling that you're walking around with a massive neon sign saying "This person is actually a woman/man", and it makes you worry that one day you'll come face to face with people who will tear you apart for it just because they don't understand and don't agree with what you're going through.

I just googled and there are reports and surveys backing up what they're saying, and worse stuff as well.

Ye, its that common that you had to google it. No experience of it then "

I'm not a tv/ts, and i've spent the past 18 years bringing up my kids so not really been out anywhere where tv/ts hang out either, well not really been anywhere.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I've been embarrassed and uncomfortable at work yet don't bat an eyelid when using unisex loos on the continent.

"As with all things, the fear is genuine, whether the threat is real or perceived

Very true. I've been one of the lucky ones where I have been mistaken for male from when I was around 16/17 maybe even earlier but I still went through fearing people finding out, until you're comfortable in your own skin and confident that's what you do.

It's like feeling that you're walking around with a massive neon sign saying "This person is actually a woman/man", and it makes you worry that one day you'll come face to face with people who will tear you apart for it just because they don't understand and don't agree with what you're going through."

xx

Disgraceful lack of empathy from some of the posters on this thread.... but not at all surprising.....

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

But women are born with lady bits ... as sure as god made Adam and EVE ....

"

Mr ddc"

I saw no suggestion that anyone on this thread had called her those names. I believe she was recounting what has happened in the past, in person

Derbyshire

"

Disgraceful lack of empathy from some of the posters on this thread.... but not at all surprising....."

Here is the quote I was referring to. I'm beginning, once again, to regret ever leaving the lounge. I just object to the falacy in the OPs statement. I have no objection to any other phallusies...

"Rep. Artiles said that his bill was not aimed at the transgender community, but meant to keep lecherous people — primarily men — from abusing what he called an "overbroad" interpretation of who can use which bathrooms in Miami-Dade County.

Artiles’ objection to the two-month old county ordinance, he said, is that it allows men to walk into locker rooms and watch “women showering and changing” — with no legal recourse for the women. "This is not about transgender or your sex identity association."

Basically, having passed a law banning discrimination against transgender people, and they realised it was worded in such a way that no-one could stop me, as a man, walking into women's showers and causing mayhem.

There is no intention to discriminate, the bill is specifically trying to prevent this, but they're getting their knicker/boxers in a twist working out a workable, legal definition to the difference between a tv and a man.

To us it is simple, allow the person to self-define, but the law is an ass.

Derbyshire

"

I saw no suggestion that anyone on this thread had called her those names. I believe she was recounting what has happened in the past, in person "

She stated she has been called those things, and her response to me suggesting she could use the unisex toilet was "I am not disabled".

Born with a cock then use the gents.

Born with a vagina then use the ladies.

"But women are born with lady bits ... as sure as god made Adam and EVE ...."

Yes, but that's a persons sex, not their gender.

The Sex of a person comes from the DNA which creates them - XX, XY etc and is a purely biological classification.

Gender however, its a question of an identity, and that's far more of an individual construct. Its multifaceted. How that person sees their gender identification is a blend of things physical, mental and emotional, all of which produce a person who identifies with a gender concept - or doesn't identify with any one particular concept of gender and simply is, well, who they are.

Sometimes the fact that sex and gender are taken to mean the same results (I feel) is some of the lack of understanding that surrounds these issues (and often leads to prejudice and intolerance).

How a person is made does not define who that person is.

I think, as a species we seek to try to classify and label everything and its not necessarily a good thing.

It is always better to appreciate the butterfly in flight, than to stick a pin in it and give it a name.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

"Born with a cock then use the gents.

Born with a vagina then use the ladies."

No...why should a woman (who lives their life as a woman every single day) who has a penis use the men's toilet?! She is a woman!

The ignorance around here on trans issues is laughable and sick-making at once.

I thought we'd moved on from such bigotry.

Cardiff

I don't think women would appreciate men using the ladies - I'm not sure they would be comfortable with me walking for an example and I don't think they will be pleased with any cismen who actually are intent on abusing them who will use "Well I was born with a vagina so I have to use these loos, do you wanna see?" ...

And anyway, unless you told everyone to drop their pants, how would you even know ...

South East Midlands NOT

"But women are born with lady bits ... as sure as god made Adam and EVE ....

Yes, but that's a persons sex, not their gender.

The Sex of a person comes from the DNA which creates them - XX, XY etc and is a purely biological classification.

Gender however, its a question of an identity, and that's far more of an individual construct. Its multifaceted. How that person sees their gender identification is a blend of things physical, mental and emotional, all of which produce a person who identifies with a gender concept - or doesn't identify with any one particular concept of gender and simply is, well, who they are.

Sometimes the fact that sex and gender are taken to mean the same results (I feel) is some of the lack of understanding that surrounds these issues (and often leads to prejudice and intolerance).

How a person is made does not define who that person is.

I think, as a species we seek to try to classify and label everything and its not necessarily a good thing.

It is always better to appreciate the butterfly in flight, than to stick a pin in it and give it a name. "

'God' might have made Adam and Eve, but he might not have. Let's not use a really old story book to judge modern situations by.

Oh, and transgender people have been around since the dawn of time, it's only that it's less of a taboo subject now.

Derbyshire

Birth situation is not the be-all-and-end-all.

I was born small, bald and ugly, but...

Oh no, that doesn't work afterall

No...why should a woman (who lives their life as a woman every single day) who has a penis use the men's toilet?! She is a woman!

I thought we'd moved on from such bigotry. "

No if a person has a penis then they are a man.

Derbyshire

"

I thought we'd moved on from such bigotry. "

Sadly apparently not

Cardiff

No if a person has a penis then they are a man."

And if they were born with a vagina but now have a penis... like myself?

Or born with a penis but now have a vagina?

Or born with a penis but now have a vagina?"

Then sit down in the ladies.

South East Midlands NOT

No if a person has a penis then they are a man."

Oh dear. Some people have clearly had no education on the matter.

Cardiff

[Removed by poster at 09/05/15 10:08:37]

Cardiff

Then sit down in the ladies."

What? Why?

"

Doesn't bother me either way

Oh dear. Some people have clearly had no education on the matter. "

Oh dear lol its just an opinion on where somebody should take a piss.Nothing more than that

What? Why?"

Just answering your question.If your opinion is different to mine then thats fine.

Cardiff

What? Why?

Just answering your question.If your opinion is different to mine then thats fine."

I'm curious as to why you think I should be using the ladies and have to sit to pee.

Is there not a reason behind your opinion?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

What? Why?

Just answering your question.If your opinion is different to mine then thats fine.

I'm curious as to why you think I should be using the ladies and have to sit to pee.

Is there not a reason behind your opinion?"

Maybe he is answering the last question you asked, which was "Or born with a penis but now have a vagina?"

Cardiff

What? Why?

Is there not a reason behind your opinion?

Maybe he is answering the last question you asked, which was "Or born with a penis but now have a vagina?""

Possibly, I would hope so but I doubt it

Anyone can use the 'disabled' toilet, anyone can buy a radar key to use them as well. You don't have to be disabled, the guy told me last time i bought a key.

Think some people are forgetting what gender means as well. It isn't the same as your sex.

By *OMBSTACKCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

"Damned if you do damned if you don't , you risk offending ladies and getting thrown out of places if you go in the ladies and risk getting abuse and potentially a kicking if you go in the men's, use a disabled you don't get any abuse in sexually but the principle of using a disabled when you are not is also a moral issue, however I have used disabled (when not dressed as Katie) when on a night out to fuck a woman and many of my friends have used disabled for the same thing (more space) so take out the morals and the disabled is the safest place "

There is no moral issue using a disabled toilet anybody can use it . They are built to accomadate somebody disabled whether that is in a wheelchair or other disability. I recently went into a toilet at car dealers which was designated Disabled and Women with baby changing facility. I had my son with me who needed changing there was no facility in the Mens toilet so had to use it. When i exited a woman confronted me about it and i gave her a piece of my mind Dads do parent their kids too!

I don't think I'd bat an eyelid if a transperson (is that the right term? don't want to offend) came into a toilet in a bar/club. They are, after all, human and have human bodily functions.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Exactly. We own and define our own gender.

A lot of places are now introducing gender neutral loos, which is a good thing too.

By *mallteaserWoman  over a year ago

Central

I see no problem with it x

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

What if you have a penis AND a vagina .. which toilet would you go in then ??

By *ickawitchCouple  over a year ago

Away with the fairies (Liverpool to you)

"What if you have a penis AND a vagina .. which toilet would you go in then ?? "

Whichever one they chose.....like they are entitled to do by law

"Damned if you do damned if you don't , you risk offending ladies and getting thrown out of places if you go in the ladies and risk getting abuse and potentially a kicking if you go in the men's, use a disabled you don't get any abuse in sexually but the principle of using a disabled when you are not is also a moral issue, however I have used disabled (when not dressed as Katie) when on a night out to fuck a woman and many of my friends have used disabled for the same thing (more space) so take out the morals and the disabled is the safest place

There is no moral issue using a disabled toilet anybody can use it . They are built to accomadate somebody disabled whether that is in a wheelchair or other disability. I recently went into a toilet at car dealers which was designated Disabled and Women with baby changing facility. I had my son with me who needed changing there was no facility in the Mens toilet so had to use it. When i exited a woman confronted me about it and i gave her a piece of my mind Dads do parent their kids too! "

Good for you! Silly cow. Did you ask her what she suggested you should have done?

» Add a new message to this topic