FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > Do other orientals get frustrated wen called 'asian'

Do other orientals get frustrated wen called 'asian'

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do fellow chinese or orientals get frustrated wen you're typecasted into a 'continent' instead of origin?

I dont see this as incorrect...if ur 'caucasian' u label yourselves as 'Irish', 'Scots', 'American'... so why cant we just be labelled as chinese or indian?? Its only our ethnic origin n proud of it!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I got a bollocking from a Japanese guy once for saying oriental apparently its politically incorrect

Just goes to show you can't win them all

By *rinhueCouple  over a year ago

Blackpool

Oh man! I hate trying to fill out forms where the options for me are "Mixed White & Asian/Chinese/Ethnic Other"

What the hell is that supposed to mean?!

Forum Mod

I also read on here that the term Oriental was offensive

I rather like it but now afraid to use it in case it offends

"Oh man! I hate trying to fill out forms where the options for me are "Mixed White & Asian/Chinese/Ethnic Other"

What the hell is that supposed to mean?!"

I always find chinese is on most ethnicity forms...well in job applics anyway

"I also read on here that the term Oriental was offensive

"

Would love to know where this has come from, Ive heard 'rumors' that its offensive but Im actually quite proud to be called 'oriental'? It IS the far east...the orient so why cant we be called oriental. Middle eastern women have their different culture n style n religion...so why class us the same? Its not a form of nickname that relates to our ancestors former livelihood or the way our eyes look...but would love to know is it an 'actual' rascist' word to class us?

Would love to know where this has come from, Ive heard 'rumors' that its offensive but Im actually quite proud to be called 'oriental'? It IS the far east...the orient so why cant we be called oriental. Middle eastern women have their different culture n style n religion...so why class us the same? Its not a form of nickname that relates to our ancestors former livelihood or the way our eyes look...but would love to know is it an 'actual' rascist' word to class us? "

I understand where you are coming from

I'm Sicilian and really hate being called Italian, I'm not fecking Italian

Ahem as you were

Would love to know where this has come from, Ive heard 'rumors' that its offensive but Im actually quite proud to be called 'oriental'? It IS the far east...the orient so why cant we be called oriental. Middle eastern women have their different culture n style n religion...so why class us the same? Its not a form of nickname that relates to our ancestors former livelihood or the way our eyes look...but would love to know is it an 'actual' rascist' word to class us?

Ahem as you were "

I was always under the impression that 'oriental' is a slur and only used to discribe furniture or art.

My source was from a Chinese/American woman.

I googled...haha

In British English, the term Oriental refers to people from East and Southeast Asia. The word does not have any derogatory implication as in North America. On the other hand, the word "Asian" refers to people from Indian Subcontinent. Therefore, Orientals is the only term which can refer to people of East Asian origin.

Any word associated with oriental is based from America during their 'civil war' with the north/south/blacks/whites etc to categorise 'natives'. Im neither american or live in the 1750s....This is 21st century! Proud to be British n Oriental

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple  over a year ago

near cardiff

I said I liked 'asian' facial hair in a beard thread, I had in mind the kind you see martial arts masters in films wearing. Was this a bad thing to say? I profusely apologise if so and seek a better term x

"I was always under the impression that 'oriental' is a slur and only used to discribe furniture or art.

My source was from a Chinese/American woman. "

Hence she was part American so apologies if I am incorrect, she only reference from American History.

If I were to call a Japanese man Chinese that would be considered racist, though an honest mistake on my part.

Thus I rather say Asian as it would not be incorrect and would be less offensive (in my opinion)

"I said I liked 'asian' facial hair in a beard thread, I had in mind the kind you see martial arts masters in films wearing. Was this a bad thing to say? I profusely apologise if so and seek a better term x"

Again....asian...is that indian or chinese? Cos Ive never seen a chinese that can grow a full beard or very rare! But this is the kind of thing Im asking....middle eastern men grow beards like fashion/culture, oriental men cant or very little. So no need for apology...complete different ethnics in my opinion x

Americans, often, though maybe not all, have a very insular view of the world. Best to ignore their opinions and attitudes. Most wouldn't even know where the Orient is.

Having said that I have a chinese friend on here. Her profile name is "curvy asian".

Forum Mod

"I googled...haha

In British English, the term Oriental refers to people from East and Southeast Asia. The word does not have any derogatory implication as in North America. On the other hand, the word "Asian" refers to people from Indian Subcontinent. Therefore, Orientals is the only term which can refer to people of East Asian origin.

Any word associated with oriental is based from America during their 'civil war' with the north/south/blacks/whites etc to categorise 'natives'. Im neither american or live in the 1750s....This is 21st century! Proud to be British n Oriental

"

"If I were to call a Japanese man Chinese that would be considered racist, though an honest mistake on my part.

Thus I rather say Asian as it would not be incorrect and would be less offensive (in my opinion)"

Depends on situation...Ive been called Thai, Filipino, Japenese cos yes we do look similiar but we look nothing like middle eastern ppl. It is a case of easy mistake to make. Classic eg Irish guy...recognise irish accent...do u assume hes from Belfast? And then he looks at u in horror...'hell no, south ireland'. Assume hes from Dublin...usually same response 'northern ireland'. Mistaken for origin ethnic is a common error we've all made at some point...me included

"Having said that I have a chinese friend on here. Her profile name is "curvy asian"."

Nice!!

"If I were to call a Japanese man Chinese that would be considered racist, though an honest mistake on my part.

Thus I rather say Asian as it would not be incorrect and would be less offensive (in my opinion)"

If it was an honest mistake there's no way that anyone with their head screwed in could consider it as racist. If you said it as a slur or to infer a derogatory term, then only then could it be considered for the label of racist.

Thus I rather say Asian as it would not be incorrect and would be less offensive (in my opinion)

If it was an honest mistake there's no way that anyone with their head screwed in could consider it as racist. If you said it as a slur or to infer a derogatory term, then only then could it be considered for the label of racist."

My worst 'dig my own hole n bury me' mistake was wen I thought a guy sounded irish n he was actually from Scotland ooops!! So not always about looks!!

near cardiff

"I said I liked 'asian' facial hair in a beard thread, I had in mind the kind you see martial arts masters in films wearing. Was this a bad thing to say? I profusely apologise if so and seek a better term x

Again....asian...is that indian or chinese? Cos Ive never seen a chinese that can grow a full beard or very rare! But this is the kind of thing Im asking....middle eastern men grow beards like fashion/culture, oriental men cant or very little. So no need for apology...complete different ethnics in my opinion x"

I'm definitely not defending ignorance on my part here, but I get confused beteeen Japanese and Chinese, so I always thought 'asian' was a better option than getting someone's race completely wrong. Looks like I need to look up more.

"I said I liked 'asian' facial hair in a beard thread, I had in mind the kind you see martial arts masters in films wearing. Was this a bad thing to say? I profusely apologise if so and seek a better term x

Again....asian...is that indian or chinese? Cos Ive never seen a chinese that can grow a full beard or very rare! But this is the kind of thing Im asking....middle eastern men grow beards like fashion/culture, oriental men cant or very little. So no need for apology...complete different ethnics in my opinion x

I'm definitely not defending ignorance on my part here, but I get confused beteeen Japanese and Chinese, so I always thought 'asian' was a better option than getting someone's race completely wrong. Looks like I need to look up more."

I understand its difficult, I do too. Get this...normally Im pale n look chinese, come summer the more tan I get...I start looking like Thai to Malaysian to Filipino n thats from my vanilla friends lol

If it was an honest mistake there's no way that anyone with their head screwed in could consider it as racist. If you said it as a slur or to infer a derogatory term, then only then could it be considered for the label of racist.

My worst 'dig my own hole n bury me' mistake was wen I thought a guy sounded irish n he was actually from Scotland ooops!! So not always about looks!! "

Oh well, that's an embarrassing mistake, but definitely not racist

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

If I was to be called Occidental, it wouldn't offend me, nor would European. As Asia is a very large continent (it's only slightly larger than the East Midlands on here lol), Oriental describes only a part of it.

near cardiff

I'm definitely not defending ignorance on my part here, but I get confused beteeen Japanese and Chinese, so I always thought 'asian' was a better option than getting someone's race completely wrong. Looks like I need to look up more.

I understand its difficult, I do too. Get this...normally Im pale n look chinese, come summer the more tan I get...I start looking like Thai to Malaysian to Filipino n thats from my vanilla friends lol "

I get confused between Scottish people and Irish people, I'm fucking clueless and I live between them

I'm from staffs and when on my hols get called a brummie. I feel your hurt.

I'm black apparently.

I thought Middle Eastern people were Arabic. My geography is shit though. If you can't distinguish between a Thai,Chinese or Vietnamese person what would you say?

U r hu u r dnt let any comment frustrate u's. Sometimes its hard identify were ppl come from till u speak to them n ask them. Its like callin canadians american x

The Chinese call Western Europeans "gwai lo" or "Ghosts". I bet they do not distinguish between French, Spanish and Belgian. The further away the less accurate the description.

"Do fellow chinese or orientals get frustrated wen you're typecasted into a 'continent' instead of origin?

I dont see this as incorrect...if ur 'caucasian' u label yourselves as 'Irish', 'Scots', 'American'... so why cant we just be labelled as chinese or indian?? Its only our ethnic origin n proud of it! "

We are taught to use 'Asian subcontinent' when writing academically, then we are specific about the country of origin.

'Oriental' is a word that has too much meaning created by imperialistic structures, and I prefer not to use words like that when writing objectively.

It also historically refers to Arabic people, and Moroccan. So I don't find it useful in it's ambiguity.

What's wrong with 'Chinese' as a label? Why 'Oriental'?

(And I refer to myself as Caucasian if I'm referring to my skin colour. Western European if I'm referring to my place of origin. Which is like saying Asian really.)

"I was always under the impression that 'oriental' is a slur and only used to discribe furniture or art.

My source was from a Chinese/American woman. "

'Oriental' isn't a word that tends to be used so much now in Art History unless you're studying something like Orientalism as a subject. We'd say 'Japanese' or 'Chinese' or 'Viatnamese' because there are distinct identities within each country. We don't (or we shouldn't) lump them together like historians have in the past.

My source was from a Chinese/American woman.

'Oriental' isn't a word that tends to be used so much now in Art History unless you're studying something like Orientalism as a subject. We'd say 'Japanese' or 'Chinese' or 'Viatnamese' because there are distinct identities within each country. We don't (or we shouldn't) lump them together like historians have in the past."

By *ragonwalesMan  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"Do fellow chinese or orientals get frustrated wen you're typecasted into a 'continent' instead of origin?

I dont see this as incorrect...if ur 'caucasian' u label yourselves as 'Irish', 'Scots', 'American'... so why cant we just be labelled as chinese or indian?? Its only our ethnic origin n proud of it! "

The answer to your original question is no I don't get frustrated because it depends on the situation and circumstances.

In this politically correct world things can change overnight I am certainly not aware that the word oriental is incorrect as it was on census forms not too long ago.

I have many friends in China, Korea and Japan - and they've made it very clear that I mustn't say 'oriental" - they are Asian, or East Asian!

Though to me they are just my friends, and that comes first...

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

Being born in the Colonial Orient and spending all my formitive years growing up in the Far East. I consider the Orient to describe Far Eastern Asia with a predominantly Chinese and Budhist influence, I may be wrong, but that is what I base it on. My time in Malayasia and Singapore was with both Malaysian Orientals and Malaysian Asians, with a confusing mix of Euro asians thrown in just to confuse everything. My parents gardner was Asian as his family; or even him, originated from the Indian Sub Continent, the man that delivered the cooking gas was quite definitely Oriental because he didn't and he spoke some form of chinese as far as I can remember. Similarly the man that cycled his bread delivery basket was Asian, and the guy on the motor cycle selling Ice cream from a refrigerated box was Oriental.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

"

Dont mind being called an asian or an oriental (preferred).

Being called oriental makes me feel like a vase from Ming Dynasty...

"Oh man! I hate trying to fill out forms where the options for me are "Mixed White & Asian/Chinese/Ethnic Other"

What the hell is that supposed to mean?!"

I hate them too white British is the option they want so I put white other and write English in the box

By *win PeaksCouple  over a year ago

Northamptonshire

"Americans, often, though maybe not all, have a very insular view of the world. Best to ignore their opinions and attitudes. Most wouldn't even know where the Orient is."

It's in Leyton and they aren't doing very well.

Tatsuko just says "what's asian"? "I'm Japanese".

Dont mind being called an asian or an oriental (preferred).

Being called oriental makes me feel like a vase from Ming Dynasty... "

An ornamental oriental?

By *ragonwalesMan  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"Americans, often, though maybe not all, have a very insular view of the world. Best to ignore their opinions and attitudes. Most wouldn't even know where the Orient is.

It's in Leyton and they aren't doing very well."

By *adysueandneroCouple  over a year ago

witney

Totally understand what you are saying. Although I would like to say, that other than a very small minority of small minded bigots, people do make genuine mistakes. You are right to feel proud of your ethnic and and cultural origins. Please don't be offended by genuine mistakes.

Although I don't think there is ever a time I need to know someone's origins I'm always interested in people's culture and upbringing,if they don't look white British. I'm a bit nosy like that. The problem is how to ask as it's not allowed to say where do you come from or where were you born. I usually say something like what are your origins.

Do you know I'd never even thought about this point raised by the OP that they could be offended by being called Asian. I apologise for my ignorance and will try to watch it in the future.

By *ncutgemMan  over a year ago

Bath ish

domt hear many of us complaining about being called White !!!

By *eepfoughtMan  over a year ago

Burnley

The general term used by Chinese folk to describe foreigners here is "Lao Wai", which I'm told pretty much means outsider. However I accept it, just as I accept being called white, European or even English. I always correct those who assume I'm American though.

No-one I know here objects to being called Chinese, Asian or Oriental though, although I'd get in real trouble in this part of China if I suggested someone lookef Japanese.

Interesting read: Edward W. Said "Orientalism".

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Ahem as you were

"

Ciao

I've been on an equality and diversity course in the last week with work. We were all informed that Oriental is offensive and that we should use Asian.

By *ilgameshCouple  over a year ago

Wirral

Asian/oriental doesn't bother me, people asking me If I own/work in a chippy I find much more offensive!

By *iccardaTV/TS  over a year ago

Wallasey

"Asian/oriental doesn't bother me, people asking me If I own/work in a chippy I find much more offensive!"

i was just going to post something about coming from The Wirral, but You will know what i mean. i agree stereotypes about who or what i am i find more offensive than about where i come from

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

"I said I liked 'asian' facial hair in a beard thread, I had in mind the kind you see martial arts masters in films wearing. Was this a bad thing to say? I profusely apologise if so and seek a better term x"

Have started to let my tash grow to get that look, once it catches up with my beard

People are too sensitive, if you come from a continent on one side of the planet and live in one on the other, having people refer to you by your continent of origin seems fair.

Can't expect to know what country state province etc etc.

Much the same way If I an Irishman and a polish man rocked up in the middle of tokyo.

Aside from being the beginning of a really bad joke. We would all be referred to as European westerners or white.

You have your cultural identity and that's great

But people form 7000 miles away don't really differentiate.

That doesn't mean they are racist, or intend to offend. It just means there's a bloody lot of people and a lot of cultures.

I don't have any particular issue with being called an Asian or Oriental. Just don't say I'm from China. I'm from Singapore and proud of it LOL!!!

By *aeBabeWoman  over a year ago

London

I'm Filipino and I don't mind saying I'm oriental only because here in the UK Asian is used to describe those from south Asia. In the USA however, Asian is used to describe those from southeast Asia.

It's just one big happy world now....isn't it ?

By *hinaManMan  over a year ago

Twickenham

I actually prefer being called "Oriental" as opposed to "Asian". In my opinion, "Oriental" cuts down any confusion since it refers to those hailing from the Far East whereas like other members have pointed out, "Asian" may refer to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. I don't find either term offensive and I wouldn't even get annoyed if I was called Japanese or Korean lol.

It doesn't really bother me whether I'm called Caucasian, British, English, White etc. It just isn't important to me.

» Add a new message to this topic